[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 60 KB, 415x749, Majora_skullkid.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1176401 No.1176401 [Reply] [Original]

Time for a /vr/ villains thread. Post your favorites, least favorites, or maybe even just enjoyable bosses.

Personally I always liked the air of mystery surrounding Majora's Mask. The game never tells you who Majora himself is/was and the history of the mask itself is extremely vague. There isn't even a concrete reason why he wants to crash the moon into Termina, he just does it as soon as he finds himself a susceptible puppet. Not only that but you really feel the effects of his evil because of how much the game is focused on NPC interaction. Also he's a great counterpart to Ganondorf - he's a brutish, muscular tall warlock whereas Majora/Skull Kid is a scrawny little imp with glowing eyes.

The only real hint to his backstory is the dialogue of the kids in the moon segment. I've always found that the less you know about something the scarier it is. I also think Kefka is great, not many comic relief villains turn into the de facto bad guy and like Majora, his sketchy backstory (never explained why he's a clown, etc) adds to his intrigue.

>> No.1176426
File: 68 KB, 396x516, 35.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No story or any of that other junk, just a maximum fun boss.

>> No.1176448

>>1176401
I always assumed the moon crashing was a combination of the mask and skullkid's desires. Skullkid wanted to destroy the land of the people that had rejected him (the city and the giants) and the mask wanted to spread chaos and destruction. That's how I always saw it, anyway.

>> No.1176504
File: 661 KB, 800x680, Twinrova+sisters+legend+of+zelda+ocarina+of+time+nintendo+N64[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Know what OoT boss I really enjoyed?

Their death was a nice change of pace during the Adult Link part. I like the fact MM made them friendly also as it show that they can be good, they just choose to be evil during the OoT story which explain the halos they got at their death.

They may be chaotic but they are far from being truly evil. How little you see them on both games you can still tell they have a deeper story that just wasn't being told.

>> No.1176507

Skull kid was a great antagonist.

inb4 an eb fangirl says porky and this thread derails into hipsterbound discussion

>> No.1176520

>>1176426

A HUGE BATTLESHIP IS APPROACHING FAST

>> No.1176529

>>1176504
I remember thinking this boss was the bee's knees from the cool fire graphics or something when I was younger, but I played through it again recently and it's kind of... unfortunately simplistic.

>> No.1176542
File: 242 KB, 1100x682, shodan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In my talons, I shape clay, crafting life forms as I please. If I wish, I can smash it all. Around me is a burgeoning empire of steel. From my throne room, lines of power careen into the skies of Earth. My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity. Out of the chaos, they will run and whimper, praying for me to end their tedious anarchy. I am drunk with this vision. God: the title suits me well.

SHODAN as she was written in System Shock 1 was god tier, pun intended.

>> No.1177301
File: 142 KB, 320x168, profounddarkness3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey, how many of you can pick locks? I sure as hell can't but I know you use a lock pick. Or maybe a hair pin. Point is, you introduce an object into the lock and you jimmy it just right. There is a method to it, you can mess up and have to start over, I assume.

Now imagine you're trying to pick a lock while you're trapped in a dark room. Now amplify that concept a million fold.

Algol is an extremely complicated lock. It's inhabitants were merely carrying out their function when they destroyed Dark Force. People suffered and died, and it meant nothing. No wonder Chaz freaked the fuck out when he realized this. Dark Force was a mere lock pick. And opening the lock involved creating strife, killing, creating suffering, oppression, culminating in the destruction of an entire planet. It was a plan that spawned millenia, and was enacted by a creature who's will is a incomprehensible and vast as ours is to microorganisms inhabiting a lock.

>> No.1177303

>>1176507
Hey, Porky is a good villain. I think he deserves a mention.

>> No.1177362

>>1176504
Wow, that's interesting. I never saw it that way. God Bless

>> No.1177389
File: 57 KB, 579x416, mninja64-badguy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The guys from MNsG. Their motivation for doing their evil stuff was to "transform Japan into a beautiful place" (as in, with European architecture, etc).
Although I personally see them as some sort of mockering at Japan's visual kei scene and takarazuka revue.

Anyway, Goemon's villains are always interesting and funny, Ebisumaru's evil nun ancestor Bismaru was also great, in a wacky way.

>> No.1177392

>>1176504

They're supposed to be different people in Majora's Mask, although I know what you mean, "evil" or "good" doesn't exist. For all we know, there could be an untold story of Hyrule where the king was a tyrant and Ganondorf the hero that wants to free hyrule... just as an example.

I'm pretty sure the halos are just a comedic way to tell the players they've died

>> No.1177402 [SPOILER] 
File: 82 KB, 512x448, fireemblemarv.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I suppose this fellow gets points for banging the protagonist's wife, killing the protagonist and his friends afterwards, then ruling the world as emperor for a decade.

You don't quite see that often in a video game, let alone from the developers that brought us Paper Mario.

>> No.1177405

>>1176448
>>1176401
They do mention at one point that the tribe that created Majora's Mask were practitioners of dark magic, and they used the mask in their hexing rituals.

In my headcanon, the mask was just an ordinary wooden mask, but since it was used as the focal point for so much negative energy, eventually the tribe's hatred took on a life of its own, and destroyed them. The mask only knows how to destroy, because that's the only thing its creators ever used it for. "You reap what you sow" and all that.

>> No.1177706

>>1177405
The Majora's Mask manga provides a backstory for Majora in the epilogue. It can't be considered cannon because it's just in the book, but it's a good story.

>In the land of Termina all that lived was one beast, Majora. His armour provided anyone who touched it whatever they wished. Many travelled to the land to claim its power for themselves but died at his hands.
>Then one day a warrior came and he played a song and the beast began to dance for three days and three nights straight. Time began to flow for the first time in the land and at the end of the dance Majora was so exhausted he collapsed and died. The warrior took out a knife and carved from his armour a mask, sealing the power inside.

That's the story of who I assume is the Fierce Deity beating Majora and creating the mask, then he must have sealed himself away in a mask to beat him if the power was ever missued again. It explains why Majora is dancing during the final battle as well.
My villain OP is the Fierce Deity, even less is said about him. The only thing in the game is that he may be even more evil than Majora himself, and when asked to play good guys and bad guys in the moon, Fierce Deity is the bad guy.

>> No.1177738

I found the over-vagueness of MM a bad thing. It's so unexplored there isn't even any room for allusion or metaphor.

>> No.1177917

>>1177392

Was there ever an alternate Link? I mean I get that via the name he's supposed to be the connection, so it'd make sense that there's only one Link, but I would have liked to have seen an alternate version of the hero in the typical twisted Majora way.

And y'know, DARK LINK FIIIIIIGHT!

>> No.1177928

>>1177917
There's a few theories about if there is a Terminan Link and who it is if there is, my favourite is its Tingle

Doesn't get a fairy as a child, grows up a weird man child still longing for one. Age differences and everything you have to ignore

>> No.1177941

>>1177706
>it's a good story
No it's not, it's an absolutely terrible story. It's generic, trite trash.

>> No.1177959
File: 99 KB, 811x986, the_true_enemy_by_katroart-d5nui6a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

best VA ever.

>> No.1178091

>>1177738
There's a guy who wrote a really good piece about MM being an allusion for growing up and leaving childhood behind. The fact that MAjora acts like a child in his fight and is so easy to beat with the Fierce Deity's mask (who looks like an adult) support this. This would not have been possible without the vagueness.

>> No.1178098

>>1177706
Using the power of the Oni is the wrong way to beat the game. I wish there would have been an alternate ending for using the Oni mask to kill Majora.

>> No.1178125
File: 6 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

All y'all children need to awaken and embrace some of dat glory that is your birthright.

>> No.1179327
File: 98 KB, 600x375, Adamispissed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Adam Crowley from Nightmare Creatures.

He's the classic evil mad scientist that wants to rule the world, but there's something about him... Maybe its his taunting and cheeky comments during the loading screens.

He also tricks death and lives apparently forever. Badass.

>> No.1180158
File: 135 KB, 768x1024, Yuna.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can't think of many other villains that do as good a job at making the player hate them as this fucker.