[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 77 KB, 530x530, 1350360264448.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1158775 No.1158775[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Lets have a story thread about people who think retro vidya is worth thousands.

>be me in my uni English class
>overhear people talk about sonic and the genesis
>one of the people talking says he has sonic in the box and his genesis is sill in perfect condition. "maybe i'll sell them for 300 dollars
>another guy in the group says, "i'll buy it from you when i get paid next week"
>mfw they assume retro games are worth hundreds to them

>> No.1158808

self bump
Here's another one

>be at the flea market
>go to a reseller scum
>ask for his prices
>he has ok prices
>other people come in
>they start talking about sonic on snes
>they reseller says i've never heard of it
>the girl says "yeah it's super rare, i had it as a kid.
>reseller says i'll look for it on ebay
>i tell them "sonic for the snes is just a hack of speedy gonzalez
>they look at like i'm crazy
also
the reseller was telling the girl that he had a game worth 3 thousand dollars and it was earthbound.

>> No.1158829

>>1158775
you eavesdrop to much. why dont you try to have you own conversations with people?

>> No.1159426

>check out local assorted DVD/vidya store downtown
>used copies of Call of Duty, etc. lining the walls all reasonably priced
>go to NES section
>SMB/Duck Hunt: $10
>Dragon Warrior: $25
>assorted Megamans: $60-100 each
>original NES controller, heavily used, cord coming apart: $20

>> No.1159750
File: 126 KB, 500x500, 1379649591298.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1159426

>assorted Megamans: $60-100 each

My life. I just want, not to spend a days wages on an unboxed nes game. Is that so much to ask /vr/?

>> No.1159785

>be Australian

Yeah that's about it.

>> No.1159823

>>1159750
Buy the Japanese releases. It's not like they're text heavy games.

>> No.1159825
File: 320 KB, 800x450, 1381210135593.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I went into a genuine used game store (aka not gamestop) for the first time in 10 years. See games everywhere. Ask the seller if he has any of the mega man games for the SNES. I live in an obscure area, so I figured this might be the one place that doesn't know how shitty the prices have gotten on ebay. Turns out not only did he know, he was part of the reason. Said he goes around to garage sales and buys up all the valuable games just to resell them on ebay for exorbitant prices. He fucking bragged about it to me. Then, after telling me that, tried to sell me Mega Man X1 for $80.

The fuck.

>> No.1159834
File: 71 KB, 500x353, what_the_shit_is_going_on.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Go to locally owned "game" shop
>NES, SNES, and N64 are $40 more than original XBOX
>Games for these systems are $5 to $10 more than other systems
>Controllers for these systems are $20 more than those for others
>mfw

>> No.1159857

>Walk up to new reseller at our fleamarket
>Please, dear lord, don't let this one be a thundercunt
>Ask about Super Mario World
>"$40."
>Shits n' giggles time
>Ask about Contra 3: The Alien Wars
>"That's a really rare one. $60."
>I'm so glad that we have another horrible reseller
>Show him completed listings on eBay for $28-30
>"Well then go buy it on eBay."
>Great business practices.

>> No.1160968

>>1159825
You sir have just described EVERY retro store/flea market in the Southern California area...possibly the driest desert in the retro-land

>> No.1161002

>tfw I want to buy a new/sealed copy of Battlezone Gold to keep but they cost $100-$150 on eBay or Amazon and I can't really justify spending that kind of dosh on something like that

>> No.1161123

>>1158829
see >>1158808
he tried and they looked at him like a cancer

>> No.1161413

I found a really nice reseller recently.

Not only did this guy price his games in a nice range, he took condition into account and priced his games to move saying "On ebay this is $12 plus shipping, but you can have it right now for $5."

he even had a half hazard tub of sports games from all sorts of consoles with a sign above them saying "Sports games - $3 each."

I bought a NES from him for $40, Shadowgate, dynowarz, and SNES Jurassic Park for $5 each, and a NES controller for $10.

I want to go back but he is only there on SAT and i work that day now ;_;

>> No.1161559

We have a fucker like this here in Abilene, TX as well.. Started out with his own corner in the flea market, now has his own shop I believe.. Charging $30-40 for game boy games and shit.. We used to have a store called "Game Boys" owned by an absolute bro named Russel, now his second hand games and movies, if it wasn't a very popular one or he had lots of copies, $5-8 bucks for PS2, PS1, N64 and shit.. Some games could be as much as $15, depending on demand, rarity, etc.. He'd also buy your games and movies and actually not fuck you. I believe he went out of business, unfortunately, for being such a fair and cool guy. Such is the faggot economy these days.

>> No.1161561

>>1161559
Forgot to add, I wouldn't be surprised if Russel was reading this thread. If you are, I'm gonna drink a beer for you, bro.

>> No.1161568

Went to an EB games when they were getting rid of their Gameboy Colour games. They were selling Pokemon games, like Silver and Gold, for $40 each. I asked how much people could trade them in for and they said $5.
Nice profit for them there...

>> No.1162751

>>1161568
The fuck dude

>> No.1162809

>went to anime convention
>bought pokemon red for ten bucks(they even changed the battery for free) , friend got a nice working nes with two games and a controller for 60 bucks

nice!

>> No.1162831

EVERY retro game store I have ever walked into here in Ohio is the shittiest of shit ever. Mario's name on the game instantly is $20+, the good ones are 35-40+, All Stars most places want 50, or 70 if its the version with World. Every time I walk past one of these I wish I had a little bit of gasoline and some matches. Im tired of my hobbies being ruined by fuckers that support this shit.

>> No.1162869

>>1160968
>You sir have just described EVERY retro store/flea market in the Southern California area

Well I'm in the country side of Norther California, so now you know things aren't better up top!

>> No.1162971

>>1162831
Where at in Ohio? I know of one really decent place in Dayton. And the rest range from not that bad to mega cancer.

>> No.1162975 [DELETED] 

Da fuq

>> No.1163027

Bought an atomic purple n64 controller off a guy at a fleamarket along with mario allstars for $12. I've bought from him before too. Return of the jedi for $2 and an xmen game for the same price pretty cool dude overall. I'm lucky with my fleamarket though. Only one shitty reseller that refuses to lower his prices and has had the same games for the past year or two at least. All the other ones will work with you and give you really good deals. I got pokemon red blue gold and yellow for $6 each from one vendor. I enjoy the fuck out of the flea market in my area. The other ones though are full of the scum that most people ITT are talking about.

>> No.1163637

>be at overpriced gamestore browsing for the occasional good find
>looking at sega genesis games near the front of the store
>hipster douche blows past me with his girlfriend straight to the n64 cabinet
>"woah harvest moon 64 $120"
>"that game is worth so much"
>[/spoiler]he bought the game

It was hard to contain my sides knowing damn well he only bought that to impress his douchey little friends.

>> No.1164808

>>1162971
Northeast (Warren/Niles/Youngstown/Boardman/Austintown) Ohio has a shit-ton of good game shops. While Buybacks isn't HOLY SHIT, they won't fuck you on their pricing. Game ON! in Salem is a really nice store. The operator is awesome. They've got games for pretty much every system including Neo Geo CD on the racks, and there's a bunch of locals' vidya-fanart adorning the pitched ceiling. In Niles, there's Endless Electronics, which is my absolute favorite. GREAT deals, awesome inventory, owner is a fellow of unparalleled excellence. I got my Sega CD, a PS2, Atari 7800, and a Saturn there, and about two dozen games.
Also, Reptile's in the flea market on 422 across from Walgreen's (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) is really cool, too. Wide variety of stuff and overall good prices, but there are a few YEAHFUCKNO priced items like a boxed Saturn for $400 or some junk.

>> No.1164838
File: 6 KB, 160x160, 1356745393486.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>go to shitty game shop
>go to their retro section
>generic nes games duckhung/mario going for 20 bucks just because it's "vintage"
>dreamcast controllers 40 bucks per
>shrinkwrapped copy of night trap for sega CD 5 bucks
>mfw I bought it

>> No.1164842

I got a megadrive 2 from a friend but he didn't have the power adapter. So at a flea market I found some guy selling all kinds of game accessories. Lots of cables and controllers for all kinds of game consoles etc. But everything looked really messy and mistreated. It was like the guy hated videogames, a lot of his wares looked broken. After looking for a while I found a power adapter with the sega logo on it but I was unsure if it was the right one. The guy asked 25 eurodollars for it. Fuck that!

tl;dr; guy selling broken and dirty videogame accessories for very expensive prices.

>> No.1164846

feelgood story

I got Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the snes in box with manual in very good condition off some chinese dude at a flee market.

Too bad the snes version is shit

>> No.1164848 [DELETED] 
File: 12 KB, 320x240, 1304287076040.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The opposite of this happened to me once, it was awesome.
>Walking around town with my Grandpa
>He wants to go into an antique store
>Aight
>He looks around, I find a box labled 'Nintendo'
>Pull it out, it's a NES with two controllers all cables, a Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cart, Super Mario Bros. 3 and a light gun
>"How much is this"
>"I dunno £15?"
>mfw

>> No.1164849

> Be me
> My trophy racks are full with the meat of a thousand hunts over three hundred months
> All I want is a fucking Nintendo brand 60 to 72 pin adapter without paying $30 for a damn Gyromite on Ebay
> Wife manages to get me into the city, near the dirt mall where I know for a fact there's a little old Asian lady with stacks of NES carts.
> Flea Market closes at 7 on Sunday. Get there before 5 because I know places be closing early.
> Enter anxiously. The chain link is wrapped around her stall. My dreams are all dead and buried.
> Try to salvage the trip by checking all the Mexicans game booths
> Over 9000 "Original Nintendo? No. No mas"
> Holy shit a white guy with a video game booth! Perhaps some caucasian camaraderie?
> He's playing fucking CoD with some kids. Pic Related. Ignoring me. I'm looking around back in his stacks.
> Shit this cracker has like fifty Saturn games tucked away but I can't read the titles!
> Try to read Saturn games without bothering dude's game.
> Circle around both trying to see them
> Lean over counter cranking neck. Hey, maybe this might be a signal he's got a customer?
"Hey, can I help you? You don't need to lean over my counter like that"
> Great my normal charm isn't going to do it here
> "You got NES games?"
"Maybe" (wtf?) "What do you need"
> "I'm looking for five screw black label ca-
"I don't got it"
>Oooookay... "Well I see you got some Saturn titles up there could you tell me what you have?"
"I got what? Titles?"
>"Yeah those Saturn games"
"Maybe I can help you with that what do you want to know?"
>"Umm.. What titles do you have?"
> goes behind counter and pulls out a little clipboard with game lists broken down by system
> "Oh okay you got game lists cool I didn't see these"
"Yeah it's so dudes don't need to lean over my counter"

cot'd

>> No.1164850
File: 12 KB, 320x240, 1304287076040.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The opposite of this happened to me once, it was awesome.
>Walking around town with my Grandpa
>He wants to go into an antique store
>Aight
>He looks around, I find a box labled 'Nintendo'
>Pull it out, it's a NES with two controllers all cables, a Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cart, Super Mario Bros. 3 and a light gun
>"How much is this"
>"I dunno £15?"
>mfw

>> No.1164852
File: 1.56 MB, 2560x1920, 1375654719476[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1164849
> Fuck this list has Shining Force 3 on it, which I need. Panzer Dragon Saga, Shining Wisdom, Dragon Force.. How am I going to turn this around and Geh this guy to deal with me?
> Decide to start slow and test the waters "How much for Alone In The Dark?"
> goes behind counter to hidden computer and typity type type. Great.
> "What do you go by? Ebay low?"
"I go by supply and demand."
> "So... Ebay?"
"Supply and demand. What game again?"
>"Alone in the Dark"
"One Eyed Jacks Revenge?"
>"The list just says Alone in the Dark"
"That's the only one for Saturn"
> Is this guy fucking with me? "Then I guess it must be that one"
"I don't have it"
> Then why is it on your fucking list? By this point I've had it dancing with this guy. "How much for Shining Force 3?"
"I don't have it"
>"Panzer Dragoon Saga"
"I don't have it. All the RPGs are gone"
>"So what do you have?"
"I gave you the list"

pic related - the gray haired piece of shit in question

>> No.1164861
File: 79 KB, 264x408, 1364902208421.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>go to desk that is filled with pc big boxes, n64 boxes etc.
>all very disorganized, can't see shit without moving them around
>I carefully move them around so I can see what he has
>suddenly some big fat turkish guy appears and starts to yell at me, probably the owner of the stuff
>"AASBVSLLALALBBBLALALALAL!! ABALALBLBLBLALBLABA!!!!"
>I don't understand what he is saying
>I slowly back off and pretend not to hear him

>> No.1164876

>>1164849
>>1164852

I remember you from last time, Jesus Christ that guy is a sack of shit.

>> No.1164887

>>1161559
I FUCKING LOVED GAME BOYS.
I'm from the Midland/Odessa Area, but have family in Abilene. I'd always remember to stop by Game Boys whenever I was down there to pick up some retro games.

Now you'd be hard pressed to even find ANY retro games, much less decently priced ones.

>> No.1164908

I've never met a person who thinks retro games are worth a lot of money. I've been to some stores that jack up their prices because they know they're the only game in town, but they are perfectly aware that they're just fucking people and don't actually think they're offering a good deal.

>> No.1164915

>>1164852
You know, it's OK to hit people like this. Really, no one will mind.

>> No.1164934
File: 1.35 MB, 2560x1920, 1382591580206[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1164876
Yeah you busted me posting my own pasta. Since then, I've managed to get to the little Asian lady's shop while she was there. She's one of those pretty-cool old people that sell and her booth has SO MUCH shit in it, like a house on Hoarders with little tunnels just barely big enough for a little old Asian lady to go through. I couldn't see half of what she had and she wasn't about to let me in her tunnels. She didn't check prices on a computer and yet she still priced things more or less accurately. I didn't catch her undervaluing anything even once (nothing was tagged) and she only priced a couple 7th gen things too high.

She didn't have a Nintendo brand 60-to-72 pin adapter game either but I finally got one off eBay for $10 and I also got a keyboard famiclone locally for $10 since then. Pic related anyone know what game this is?

>> No.1164964

>>1164934
Child's Quest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mTLAtqiMZo

>> No.1165189

>>1164964
Neat! I guessed what was going on correctly then.

>> No.1165219

>>1164849
>>1164852

Oh, I remember you, and your story.

Didn't this happen months ago?

>> No.1165251

>>1158775

I'll be honest, I'd love to meet some people like that. I've got a ton of good duplicate games that I saved from going into the trash that I can't bring myself to sell just in case my copy fries.

>> No.1165275

>>1158775
>Chicago
>awesome new thrift store opens
I am currently in the market for a new flightstick so checking everyday

>spy what I'm looking for
>see it's a saitek x45 so it's an older model
http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-X45-Digital-Throttle-Stick-Windows/dp/B00005TOTG

>Still would buy if price is right
>seller wanted $45 PER PIECE!. This fucker is selling the set of joysticks seperately. They dont fucking work ( well they probably do but it defeats the purpose) separately it's a fucking package deal you mook

But $45 a PIECE USED! That' $90+ tax

I can buy the new model for almost as much and get the old model complete for $65

I think i'm going to leave a note explaining the prices on the sticks when i go back. They have been there for ever