[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 50 KB, 786x621, xcom TFTD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1154576 No.1154576 [Reply] [Original]

sup /vr/

I recently beat the modern x-com: enemy unknown, which I felt was pretty awful when compared to the original trilogy, even the less-liked x-com apocalypse. As a result, I have been inspired to go back and beat pic related, a game that has destroyed my anus time and time again. Let me start off with a couple questions here to get us rolling:

1) Why the hell do TFTD Aquanauts suck much more than the rookies you get in UFO Defense? I miss units that are 2 tiles away from me, and then those guys die next turn from a variety of factors, including the following:

2) What's with the underwater physics? Aliens hurl grenades at me from multiple screens away as if they're sailing through thin air, and then a bunch of people who I thought were safe out of range are now dead.

3) What's a good starting build for getting past the early shit part of the game when everyone is absolutely terrible skillwise? My standard build from UFO doesn't really work (all rookies get HE autocannons/rocket launchers because fuck aiming, splash damage is king)

X-Com thread is go, tell us your stories, ask/answer questions, etc.

>> No.1154587

its been years since I've played

but in tftd you just want to nuke the fuck out of everything.

I give everyone phosphorus items and burn the shit out of the entire ocean floor. phosphorus doesn't remain effective forever but its a light source which is essential until you get some armor and movement points

for grenades you just don't clump up, another reason to make sure that everything around you is well lit because nowhere is really safe

my philosophy was always to annihilate obstacles, especially if it was part of a UFO

you're not really on a time clock in the old games, so it's ok if you ruin a bunch of expensive UFO parts and run a few more missions

>> No.1154602

>>1154587
that's a good point, now do you think i should rush for improved weapons first or armor first? I'm thinking armor, because getting oneshotted no matter what attack it is gets very tiring.

>> No.1154619
File: 147 KB, 778x606, Lobsterman coffee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1154576
Dear Cirno,

>>1) Why the hell do TFTD Aquanauts suck much more than the rookies you get in UFO Defense?

Because it is underater, duh!

>>My standard build from UFO doesn't really work (all rookies get HE autocannons/rocket launchers because fuck aiming, splash damage is king)

Yep, this does not work anymore. Using the UFO builds in TFTD will not work they nerfed the cheese builds.

You have to just use basic rifles and tazers and deal with it, rush research to gauss weapons ASAP.

Otherwise as far as game mechanics go everything should be identical almost identical just your rookies suck more and enemies are better.

Another thing is capture live aliens ASAP you need them to unlock the invisibly and secretly locked research trees.

Yes research is locked without the game telling you so you cannot rush to the best guns immediately. You need to research alien corpses and live aliens first.

Also if you go to a gillman terror mission CAPTURE A LIVE DEEP ONE or else the higher research cannot be unlocked and Gill men stop appearing later aso you are locked out of research for the rest of the game.

Research a deep one corpse then a live deep one ASAP.

>> No.1154628

>>1154619
thanks, this is exactly the kind of post I was looking for. shame i cant cheese everything with explosives, i miss scouting with a rocket launcher rookie, discovering a bunch of aliens, miraculously dodging their reaction fire then ALLAHU AKBARing a rocket at his feet to take them all out.

I guess it's time to exercise extreme caution and STUN DEM XENOS.

One last question, is it worth using the SWS? I know a lot of people in UFO Defense said the HWP's were shit because 4 rookies will always be better, thats 4 scouts/reaction shots/etc instead of 1 bulky ass unit that can still get oneshotted on the first mission of the enemy crits.

I always had success using HWP's for scouting and flanking because of their much higher amount of TU's and speed compared to rookies though, what are your thoughts on this? I'm thinking I may not bother this time since TFTD is just harder on the whole, and it would be a massive cash loss to have one of those things die in the first mission.

>> No.1154686
File: 937 B, 59x41, Vibroblade.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1154628
Earthly SWS not really worth it for me you can try them I didn't. But I'd say treat them pretty much like UFO counterparts. However If you manage to unlock the advanced one based on alien technology then fuck yes you will need it.

Use chemical flares and do not use dye grenades (smoke grenades) because they a re bugged the will just make a tiny patch of smoke. You are luck that the Triton has a much more intelligent design than a Skyranger the

When in some underwater mission underwater and you see those cross like orange/red pipes randomly those shits explode like a mother so use them!

Also the Sonic weapons (the TFTD version of plasma) also got a nerf/rework that they can't Autoshot. Only Aimed and Snap, this means you have to use all pistols too. Spamming Sonic Cannons (the Heavy Plasma equivalent) does not work.

Otherwisw the sonic weapons are well balanced to each other pistol is fast and still has a decent punch and one handed leaving a hand free for a melee dril.l Sonic Cannon is like a Sniper rifle it is super accurate and packs huge damage but can be shot slowly and has a really small clip. Sonic Rifle is in the middle.

Also get Drills quickly you need a live gillman (I thinnk) Just get a virbro Blade (see pic) no need for heavy drills they are ineffecftive and make it standard equipment for everyone who is not a sniper and actually goes into a USO. Drills are absolutely amazing in tight spaces and they double damage Lobstermen (the mutons on streoids) and ignore their armor. Meleeing with drills do not provoke reaction fire and prevents the bio drones (the saucer terror unit) from exploding.

>> No.1155897

Hey OP, there are actually underwater oil rigs, which appear to be cover, but when shot at actually explode, just be wary of that as well.

Also welcome to Cruiser terror missions friend. Hope the lobstermen are kind to you
fuck those assholes who can survive two blaster bombs

>> No.1155903

>>1155897
Use stun launchers, DUH!
It's AOE and one shots them.

>> No.1156101

>>1155897
Heh, Lobstermen are smalltime, especially on Cruise Missions. What you should be worried about are Tashoths.

>> No.1156146

What the best palce to get the origianal xcom games? I've been interested in playing them for a while.

>> No.1156152

>>1156146
google

>> No.1156169
File: 23 KB, 320x240, b^U.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> TFW sonic through the corner of the Triton

>> No.1156172 [DELETED] 
File: 62 KB, 1920x1080, this will cost me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>51336235
>>1156169
> *sonic pulser

>>1154576
> Dissing Apoc
U WOT nigga i'll cut u
Apocalypse was surprisingly solid for such an "incomplete" game. Sure the graphics were ugly as fuck, some aliens had rage worthy abilities, and the choice between turn based or real time combat caused both systems to be somewhat fucked up. But gaping in terror as half a map collapses into smoky rubble when a single misplaced shot makes you the enemy of all Megaprimus made it all the worthwhile.

>> No.1156174
File: 15 KB, 300x226, the-simpsons-treehouse-of-horror-time-and-punishment-300x226.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1156169
> *sonic pulser

>>1154576 (OP)
> Dissing Apoc
U WOT nigga i'll cut u
Apocalypse was surprisingly solid for such an "incomplete" game. Sure the graphics were ugly as fuck, some aliens had rage worthy abilities, and the choice between turn based or real time combat caused both systems to be somewhat fucked up. But gaping in terror as half a map collapses into smoky rubble when a single misplaced shot makes you the enemy of all Megaprimus made it all the worthwhile.

Pic related.

>> No.1156238

>>1156174
Apocalypse was bad exactly for the reason that it was a half finished game. Most people are completely unaware of this and that why they diss it. That and the fact that it got really far from the original.

>> No.1156253

Enemy unknown was praised for its difficulty by critics, I imagine the original is much harder.

>> No.1156352
File: 1.71 MB, 640x480, eBI2Elj.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1156174
>misplaced
we call that saturation fire

>> No.1156441

>>1154576
>Why the hell do TFTD Aquanauts suck much more than the rookies you get in UFO Defense?

It's because the first game was bugged so it always reset to Beginner mode after the first mission. People mistakenly thought they were playing on Superhuman and complained the game was too easy, so the sequel was stupidly difficult.

>> No.1156445

>>1156352
Heh. Amateurs.
watch?v=GWvmbFeHX1g
But that takes a special effort. Just about everything at nutrivend does this by default. Horrible place to be.

>> No.1156449

>>1156445
Can't you cunts post complete links? For fuck's sake, what makes you post the stubs only? I keep seeing kids do that, but why? Isn't it more work to cut up the link and then additional work for someone else to restore it? Shit.

>> No.1156460

>>1156449
It's what all the cool kids do. It's the new "speak bad English and wear ill fitting clothes"

>> No.1156463

>>1156449
Isn't it an autoban thing? Oh well, you should know the drill by now.

>> No.1156504

>>1156463
What is an autoban thing? Youtube links?