[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 633 KB, 1450x1600, 1990_Nintendo_World_Championships_Gold[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1150373 No.1150373[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Ok /vr/ so lets play the hypothetical game.

You're out for whatever reason on a Saturday morning and as you drive past one street you notice a garage sale sign. You had seen others but for some reason this one caught you attention so you turned to check it out. Upon arriving at the location you see an old women sitting in her driveway with tables littered with various items, and open boxes galore. You don't see anything and almost turn around and leave but, something tells you to stop and take a look.

The old women greets you and says you're the first person to stop by. You jokingly ask if she has and old electronics or video games expecting nothing, but to your surprise she says yes and stands up to walk you to a box. On the way she explains that her husband had passed away and she decided it was time to move and is getting rid of all of her belongings, including those of her son who had passed away 15 years ago. She finishes her story by explaining she just wants a little money to help out when she moves in with her sister.

You reach the box and she just says to make an offer. Examining it reveals 3 gold cartridges sticking out from the bunch. You wonder why he would of had 3 copies of Zelda and pull them out to check. The first two and just normal Zelda and Adventures of Link carts, but the third is something else all together. A copy of NES World Championship! You do your best to keep your composure as the old women begins to speek, "You know what, you seem to genuinely like these things. Why don't you just take them? I'm sure that would make him happy..."

Do you:
A) Thank her and leave with the box
B) Offer her a small amount of money, "I don't want to take advantage of your kindness."
C) Tell her what she has and offer to help find a buyer.
D) Other. [Please explain]

>> No.1150409

B. I'd offer her 3$ per game rounding up to the nearest even bill amount. I wouldn't have the heart to just take her games for free, but at the same time, I'm not a generous enough person to just let this chance slop by. This is the kind of find that all who dig though yard sales dream of (although admittedly, I'd probably sell the game/trade to get a similarly rare game for a system I do care about).

>> No.1150410

D) Buy for 40$,give thanks to grandma.
Ebay that shit immediately.

Return later and give her half of the profits.

>> No.1150423

>>1150410

Something along those lines. I'd trust myself more with finding a good price, and I'd feel better doing the selling on my own time, then splitting the profits.

You end up with a lot of money still, and you make that grandma's year at the least.

>> No.1150446
File: 32 KB, 288x374, its_a_trap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1150373
Turn 360 degrees and walk the fuck outta there.

also sage, this is a shit thread and deserves to die a fiery death like Biggs crashing into the fiery moon of Endor

>> No.1150886

>>1150373
lol i wouldd send to gaemgrumps so they could do a funny vid about it lol

>> No.1150925

>>1150373
B. And then I would sell that shit and buy lots of arcade boards.

>> No.1150979

I'd probably give her some money, saying I can't take it for free.

I'd probably keep it in my collection, even though I don't own a NES.

>> No.1150983

>>1150373
I'd tell her it's worth a shitload elsewhere. I won't be taking it, because I don't participate in the shitty reseller scene, though.

>> No.1150989

Give her all the money in my pocket just because. Then make a thread here to show all the /vr/ people what I got.

then pull a pokemon n64 on you guys and drop it out the window, smash it with a hammer, and then light on fire, and then piss the fire out.

>> No.1151014

>>1150983
Lying on the internet will never make you look better to people.

>> No.1151074

>>1150373
Buy it for 20-30 bucks. Let it sit in my tote with other NES games for another decade or so, occasionally taking them out to play with it.

>> No.1151091
File: 94 KB, 1024x768, laughing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Derail time! A thread, movie or anything in general can't survive without multiple plots to keep it exciting.

What should have Nintendo Championships actually contained? We all know(at least the ones who watched avgn) that it has those shitty 3 games(Tetris,SuperMarioBros, a racing game - too bland to remember) with no edited levels or new abilities or anything special.

>> No.1151095

Take her up on her offer, then send her a print out of the ebay transaction to show her how much I sold it for, then thank her for the booze and pot money.

>> No.1151115
File: 162 KB, 575x840, 1377238963091.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1150373

give her about $20-30 for them all. then resell the zeldas to break even, and keep world championship for my personal collection.

>> No.1151117

>>1150410
probably something like this

>> No.1151120
File: 65 KB, 640x465, you-win.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1150410

>> No.1151125

B. Give her $1 per game, Sell the NWC cart and any duplicates on Ebay, pay off my student loans.

If the lady looks poorish, I'll come back and give her some of the profits, but other than that? Nah, nothing.

>> No.1151127

I'd choose B. Leaving her a small donation would be the proper thing to do. Like $20

>> No.1151138

>>1150446
What the fuck is wrong with you? Are you the fucker posting star wars shit everywhere telling people to fuck off.

Please... fuck off.

>> No.1151173

I would probably just tell her that the Nintendo Championships cart's nearly priceless (Without giving her a dollar amount, because I'm not sure myself.), and that it might be in her best interest to find a better avenue to sell it in. If she still insists I take it, out of either sheer kindness or laziness to actually sell it for what it's worth, I'd keep it. Let fate decide if I should get that cartridge for free, and walk away with no regrets.

>> No.1151178

>>1150373
D) Give her like 5$, give her my number and tell her I can help her move out anytime.
I don't have money to spend and I'm too greedy to give her a part of my profit. Giving time is the least I can do

>> No.1151181

>>1151173
>Let fate decide if I should get that cartridge for free, and walk away with no regrets.
if you're going to argue for "fate" to take the front seat, you could read that you went to that garage sale because of fate, so just go ahead and take the cart.

>> No.1151183

>>1151091
It should have had super mario bros 3 on it.

>> No.1151187

>>1151181
Yeah, you can argue fate just about anywhere. It's all a vehicle to make yourself feel better, I'm just saying where I'd draw the line.

I'm just saying I wouldn't feel bad about taking it for free if the old lady knew what she was giving up.

>> No.1151193
File: 44 KB, 500x363, 1380479946668.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1150373
Best case scenario is to go to the bank, withdraw an amount of money less than it is worth, but more than she could have thought it was worth, and then turn and sell it, or keep it for your collection.

$400-$700 maybe?

Everyone is happy. She gets a good deal (to her) and you get a good deal (to you)

>> No.1151252

>>1151091
I don't know what it'd be like if NC ever continued. I mean, most of the games shown have players compete for time, so I guess in a way it's like early speed runs. Perhaps a sort of precursor to SpeedDemoArchives before Quake speedruns were a thing.

>> No.1151287

This isn't retro, you just used NES games to pretend like it is in your hypothetical situation.

>> No.1151310

>>1151287
only retro games are very valuable, and collectors often come across scenarios like this. I did last week, and made a thread about it.

It was a smaller scale, but shit. The kind of stuff in the OP happens all to time on a small scale to /vr/ troopers

>> No.1151681

Take the games and cherish them, not sell them. If I took the games and sold them, it would go against the sentiment of the gift.