[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 300 KB, 960x720, hebereke-eng-v10_033r.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1146105 No.1146105[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

There's no chance in hell i would have done this shit without save states

>> No.1146829

Has anyone else here even played this game? I'm surprised there's so much talk about Gimmick! but not this. Sunsoft's late NES games were some of the best.

>> No.1146835

>>1146829

Gimmick! is the quintessential "underrated game", which is why it gets thrown around here so much it kind of defeats the purpose.

Can't say I ever played Hebereke, so I can't attest to anything regarding its difficulty, although I did play Hebereke's Popoon back in the day.

>> No.1146883
File: 218 KB, 960x720, hebereke-eng-v10_029r.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's a decent translation patch here:
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1798/

They made a proper attempt at translating the original script as opposed to the generic-as-hell crap in Ufouria. Also with this the game plays at the correct speed - Ufouria being PAL-only (and un-optimised) is glacial in comparison. There's no other difference in gameplay besides a few sprite changes.

It took me about a week of evenings to finish it, although I did refer to a map a few times. There were only a couple of jump sequences with a high chance of death (pic related) where I used save states. Other then that I played legitimately using passwords.

The different characters and environments added a lot of variety, and it kinda forced you to explore the entire map in order to complete the game so you don't miss out on anything. I think it's a solid game.

>> No.1146925
File: 2.00 MB, 240x180, 1362177759754.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I failed to figure out that you can stomp things with pressing down while jumping, so I beat around half a game without killing anything except bosses(with throwing rocks and eyeballs attack). It's pretty hard to avoid damage and preserve health, but it's actually a fun way to play this game. It's a shame that apparently it's impossible to beat it like this - I completely stuck before finding the frog friend and had to watch some random longplay and slap myself in the face.

>> No.1146931

I already beaten this game 2 times without passwords because i memorized the entire game after the first time when i played it for short periods with the "password" feature.
On my PAL NES with the original cartridge, the whole sittings took about 3 hours. Also OP needs more practice with games.

>> No.1147069

>>1146931
I'd say it took me about 8-10 hours alltogether, which isn't too bad going considering my terrible track record with platformers. Besides this I've probably finished SMB1 (with warps and infinite 1-up trick), KDL and nothing else, although I've attempted many. The trick jumps are probably a lot easier on the PAL version as you have 17% more time to do things.

>>1146925
Yeah I had attempted to play the game before (I found out about it from an early episode of GCCX) and it took me a while to figure out the jump+down thing. Everything else is pretty intuitive.

>> No.1147098

>>1146105
>There's no chance in hell i would have done this shit without save states
this is something casuals say to make themselves feel good about cheating in games.

>just because you couldn't beat it without save states doesn't mean real men can't.

>> No.1147124
File: 2.79 MB, 350x263, 1379612560820.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1147098
I could have done it without save states. I only saved at the start - I was still performing the whole jump sequence (you have to turn those dudes into ice at the right point to jump on them, and there's another one further up). The problem in this game is when you die you go back to the start point in the middle of the map - so it would have taken me about 1000% more time to complete it without save states.

If avoiding tedious backtracking makes me a casual then I guess I'm a damn casual

>> No.1147735

>>1146829
I've played it, but haven't finished it. Gimmick! seems like a much better game, but I'll probably give it another chance sometime soon since I haven't played Hebereke in a few years.

>> No.1147743

>save states
Don't use these. You'll feel so accomplished and rewarded if you complete a game from sheer muscle memory.

>> No.1147758

>>1146829
Yep.

I really didn't like it.