[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 110 KB, 500x679, best time.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1144241 No.1144241[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Didn't see one already so let's begin.

When was the best time to be born so you could enjoy the pinnacle of gaming?

Personally I was born in 1990 and got the tail end of the era I wanted to be a part of. I grew up with a SNES we got when I was 5 and didn't really understand what was going on in most of the games. I think the best time to be alive would be a two part answer depending on if you want to see the wonders of the Arcade Machines or if you wanted to enjoy the best of Home Gaming. For home gaming I would say being around before the NES was released so you could play Mario, Zelda and Final Fantasy when they first came out.

>when were you born and when do you wish you were born

Born 1990
Wish I was born1984

>> No.1144262

>>1144241
>90s kids

80s master race reporting

>> No.1144267

>>1144241

It doesn't matter when you were born or what you consider the pinnacle of gaming. If what you want is available to you, you're in it.

>> No.1144275

>>1144267
Respectfully disagree.
That sense of amazement playing Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Bros. 3 won't be the same if you've played other more 'advanced games'.
That feeling when you solved a puzzle in Zelda or saw 'her' die in Final Fantasy doesn't mean as much if you didn't experience it back then.
Even today sitting a kid down to watch Star Wars doesn't have the same impact as it did in the 70s.

>> No.1144286

>>1144275

If you say so. Some of the most fun I had with NES/SNES games was discovering ROMs. Shortly after I discovered emulators, I ran into my room and grabbed my old Nintendo Power magazines and downloaded every game that I missed. All the games I never got for Christmas, all the games I never got to rent, all the games my family never bought for me. I had access to it all.

Maybe it wasn't some sort of amazing "been there to see it" kind of thing, but these games were no longer in my imagination since I could play them.

And don't even get me started on ROM translations, which brought me games I would have never seen otherwise. I'll take 2013 over 1992 any day, because I have access to EVERYTHING that was made before today.

>> No.1144292

>>1144267
>90s kid logic

No dude. If you didn't grow up "in it" you never will be. That's just chasing a nostalgia dragon that you weren't apart of.

Pro tip you'll never catch it

>> No.1144298

>>1144292
>Missing the point of my post entirely, along with some silly presumptions

Look here >>1144286

Enjoying video games isn't about "being with it". It's about enjoying video games. I didn't get to play Seiken Densetsu 3 until years after the SNES was dead. My experience was not tarnished in the least.

>> No.1144304

>>1144286
I have to agree with both of you here. I still think it would have been awesome to see Mario 3 come out after playing 1 and 2 and watching The Wizard and talking about it with all my friends. But instead I got Mario 3 in a bundle of games from a garage sale in 96' and only had one friend who also had an NES so we played it on and off for a year.

In 2003 I got into emulators and that is when my interest in the SNES went through the roof. I didn't realize how many games I had missed like Secret of Mana/Evermore, FF2 and 3, Chrono Trigger, Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel, and all those other games that I never got a chance to buy or had never heard of. With the knowledge I have now though I wish I could go back and be born in the 80's to enjoy all the games I would want without any of the shit games that the NES had.

Anybody here who grew up in the 70's or 80's as a kid.teen?

>> No.1144320
File: 836 KB, 440x330, 1377139299924.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1144298
>It doesn't matter when you were born or what you consider the pinnacle of gaming. If what you want is available to you, you're in it.

Basically, You said playing/discovering retro now is the same as growing up with it back then.

It's not. Don't try to say people don't understand what you were" trying" to say. You said something stupid and people said you're wrong .

>> No.1144325

>>1144320
>You said playing/discovering retro now is the same as growing up with it back then.

No I didn't. The topic of discussion is about what you consider the pinnacle of gaming.

But whatever, you can sit here and argue semantics with yourself.

>> No.1144328

>>1144325
It's not semantics. It's actually what you said.

>> No.1144350

Born in 1988.

I was always a generation behind. Didn't get an NES until I was five (1993), SNES until 1995, and N64 until 1999. It wasn't until I started using the internet regularly in sixth and seventh grade that I discovered news sites and forums like IGN and GameSpot, which turned me into a hardcore idort, and since, I've bought every major console on release day (currently have both a PS4 and Xbone pre-ordered).

It's weird too, because I didn't really remember knowing that I was always a few years behind. I mean, I played games all the time, but I never read magazines or anything. I would assume that I saw TV commercials, but I was the type of kid who would have thrown a bitch fit if I saw something new, whining to my parents to buy it for me, so I don't know. I also can't remember the Genesis, PlayStation, Saturn, or any other console existing either. It's like the first twelve years of my life were spent in this old-Nintendo bubble that I couldn't break out of. It's really bizarre.

Anyway, I just realized nothing I just typed had anything to do with the OP, so have a random rant on the house.

>> No.1144360 [DELETED] 
File: 244 KB, 968x1280, 1367652686165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was born the same year as Apple Computers, The Arari 2600, and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

Games have always been exactly the right level of development for me to get the maximum enjoyment from them.

It doesn't get any better than that.

>> No.1144362

Born in the early 80s.

Started on Space Invaders, Pac Man, etc.

Honestly the best time to have been born into gaming is probably now. Back then there was still this naive sense that video games were going to be a significant artform and they progressed so much technologically from one year to the next that there was a constant sense of excitement that we were heading towards something big.

Now we know that isn't the case and video games are basically just a dumb entertainment pastime like any other.

Being born now you would understand that and you would also be at the right time to see many of the problems of the industry start to disappear (like bad journalism) and have a plethora of indie games made by passionate people to play with. You would have avoided the false hype in the 80s and 90s and thus not be invested in gaming, being able to simply enjoy games as games.

>> No.1144365
File: 244 KB, 968x1280, 1367652686165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was born the same year as Apple Computers, The Atari 2600, and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

Games have always been exactly the right level of development for me to get the maximum enjoyment from them.

It doesn't get any better than that.

>> No.1144374

>>1144360
fuck, I'm quite jelly. But at least if i play my cards right I will live longer than you and enjoy more technology. But on that same note I hate that I have an iPhone and spend so much time on it and have to set aside time to play my SNES because i still haven't played/beaten all my games and I have a small collection.

>> No.1144376

I think it's rather silly to say that a medium that's only been a thing for 40 years or so had a "golden age".

>> No.1144383

>>1144362
Man really? I think it would be awesome going to an arcade with 3 or 4 friends and trying to get highscores. Maybe it's the whole Grass is Greener on the other side scenario but I really do feel this way. Growing up with the SNES to Gamecube/Wii transition was pretty interesting but before the internet came around or even just as it came out with a few games like Halo 2 where you could play with your friends and it was all new, that was awesome.

>> No.1144384

>>1144376

It's not when it has gone through so many phases of both cultural relevance and available technology.

>> No.1144397

I think the year I was born, 1974, was the perfect time because I got to experience gaming from it's infancy, which allowed me to fully enjoy them in their own time. I started out playing Pac-Man and Donkey Kong in the arcade when I was a tot, then I got an Atari 2600, and let me tell you, after playing on that retched machine for a few years, you really learn to appreciate gameplay, because that's all you had back then.

I was 13 in 1987, when I got an NES, and I about shit myself the first time I played SMB. I knew nothing about it, but within 2 minutes of popping the cartridge in and powering it on for the first time, I knew I was playing the greatest game that had ever been made up to that point. The NES was light years ahead of the Atari. Contra, Castlevania, Mega Man, Zelda, Metroid, Metal Gear... the list of amazing games went on and on. I was in gaming heaven. And the difficulty of the games was perfect for someone who had just recently hit puberty and wanted to challenge themselves and prove to their friends that they were the best. The NES seemed to be custom made for me.

A few years later, out comes the Sega Genesis and SNES. By that time, I'm older and more mature and am ready for games that were deeper and more complex. That's when I discovered Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Landstalker, and the Final Fantasy games.

In 1994 I'm a 20 year old man. Now I want games that will test my fully developed mind, and that's when I get my first gaming PC, and I discover Master of Orion, Transport Tycoon, and X-com, etc.

Video games grew up with me. We both started out as simple undeveloped creatures at the same time, and each time I would move to a more advanced stage in life, video games did the same right along with me.

>> No.1144401
File: 4 KB, 104x104, BallAndChainTrooper.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

born 87. first console SNES. nintendo kid, but had exposure to previous-gen consoles through friends though. ideal year, strictly for gaming? probably 82.

>> No.1144412

>>1144397
Video games haven't fundamentally advanced though.

>> No.1144416

>>1144397
That's pretty awesome

I feel like gaming has sort of plateaued in terms of it's evolution. The graphics are amazing now but I will probly have more fun playing Link to The Past or Super Metroid than the newest FPS game.

>> No.1144419

Born 1981
Wish I was born 1980

oh wait it really doesn't matter because I was born at the perfect time to enjoy the NES at launch at the perfect age and got my SNES when I was in my pre-teen years and teens were in the golden age of PC gaming.

I mean graduating with Half-Life? Nothing could be better.

>> No.1144438

>>1144241
i was born in 1983

>it was breddy gud until 2001 when the nasdaq crashed

>> No.1144463

My birth year is 1983. Pretty good time. At least I got to experience the 90s from start to finish along with appreciating the games from the 80s at the arcades and that.

>> No.1144475

I wish I was born a few years earlier so I could have experienced some things as they happened but I'm pretty content either way.

>> No.1147180

>>1144241
Faggot kid. I was born in '83. You Jelly?
My first game system was Atari, and I grew up with NES first before SNES. I played Super Mario Bros 3 when it first game out and it blew my fucking mind.

>> No.1147186

>>1144292
I'm glad I was born in 80s got to experience hardcore NES rpgs. None of that gay pokamonz shit. I scoff at that queerish 4kidz game.

>> No.1147189

>>1144365
dat ass

>> No.1147197

I lived for Atari, sega, real arcades and Street Fighter 2 machines in every corner store.

Fuck all these "born in the wrong generation" faggets, go play your xboxes, stop whining and leave /vr/ to the oldfags

>> No.1147206

>1147180

You do realize that you are a 30 year old man calling some kid a faggot on the internet right?

>> No.1147219

I think I had the best of both worlds. '84 kid with two siblings born in the late 70's. While we had the NES with Super Mario Bros 2 I got to watch my older sister play through the game masterfully while I was still cutting my teeth on the first level.

My best friend had two older brothers who were into aD&D and had a mac with a broad swath of great games.

I remember fondly playing aD&D Ravenloft with my friends in the early 90's and playing a Link to the Past on the giant television in the basement when it first came out...

>> No.1147220

>>1147197
I like them.
-AD&D, Apple II & 2600 year guy

>> No.1147270

>>1144241
1984 Master race reporting in.

It was pretty sweet. Basically the technology and games "growing up" with me.

>> No.1147281

I was born in '85. I got to experience the NES and SNES/Genesis eras right as they were happening, but was possibly a bit too young for some of the really good NES games, which I just watched my older cousins play.

I think '80-'85 was the best time to be born for gaming. Not so young that you can't make it past Mario 1-1, not old enough to lose interest in spending a weekend doing nothing but advancing in Chrono Trigger.

>> No.1147283
File: 21 KB, 600x379, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1144241
>Wish I was born1984
1984 here, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it.

Picture related is my first experience with video games. It came with the ship/gun and a VHS tape. My neighbor got the villain ship/gun that same year, so we had a blast playing it together. Around 91 I moved around the corner from a kid whose dad built/repaired computers. So naturally they had several computers on the same network, and I got to experience my second video game, Wolfenstein, for the very first time. After that I've remained a PC FPS junkie.

Thankfully games don't just disappear, so no matter when you were born, you can still experience nearly everything history has offered. Even if we'll never get that same awe-inspiring feeling Pong once gave its audiences, at least we still have access to the game in one form or another.

>> No.1147286

I was born in 89, so we still got to enjoy the tail end of the NES production line, and the entire SNES lifetime. Got a SNES when they first hit the stores. Yea, I was only 3, but I gotted gud quick.

>> No.1147292

>>1144350
>>1144350
I think what you wrote has a lot to with this topic. Your experience seems to me to be quite typical for someone growing up in the 90s. What people now don't realize and what is hard even for someone looking back to really grasp, is just how little connected one was, how little one really knew about other stuff.
Me, I was born in 1983 and first discovered video games in the early nineties, must have been 1994 or something when I played the NES on holiday somewhere. Right when I was back, I got the SNES and very soon afterwards the N64. But I only ever had very few games as they were just very expensive or so it seemed to me at the time. So afterwards it was mostly computer games, although I never became much of a gamer.
No idea what the pinnacle of gaming might have been but I think that's a question associated so much with nostalgia and your own experiences growing up that it's almost impossible to find an objective answer.

>> No.1147298

>>1144262
>>1144292
>>1144320
>>1147180
>>1147197

ITT '80's kids' prove to be worse than 90's kids

>>1147270

>> No.1147301

>born in 1979
>grow up with an NES
>experience SNES/Genesis games as a teenager
>turn 18 right at the height of the fifth gen
>FLAWLESS VICTORY

>> No.1147308

There is no real perfect time.

Games will always have some importance to you, and great games never age do they?

My first system was a megadrive, but I only had like 5 games for it, and the only one of any real quality of sanic.

Actual playing the games of high quality from the past is something I have only recently begun doing.

>> No.1147314

>>1147308
>There is no real perfect time.
>Games will always have some importance to you, and great games never age do they?

Well said.

>> No.1147315

>>1147298
Taking pride in the decade you were born in is really quite, well, stupid, I agree. Thankfully, there were also some more insightful posts about growing up with gaming. Because that's what is really is about, isn't it? Everyone in every generation going back as far as the early sixties might have had a great time growing up with games. Too bad most people need to believe their own experiences to be the best possible experiences.

>> No.1147328

I was born in 89 and I think that I was born at the perfect time for gaming.

We got an NES the year I was born I think (obviously I was too little to know), and I honestly always remember playing vidya. I actually don't remember any of my childhood before school, and I think it's because vidya games, but also my parents have the worst marriage so it was probably a bit of escapism as well. I had all the good NES games too, because apparently (time has told, $$$ wise) I have impeccable taste

I got a SNES when it came out, and again I had objectively (going by $$$ of carts) good taste. Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Earthbound, etc, etc, I still have them all. My little bro was just old enough to be P2 and do decently well, too, so Mario and Kirby games were fun.

N64 is when my bro was old enough to play multiplayer games well, and we had tons of Goldeneye fun. N64 didn't have a huge library of good games (imo), but the ones that were good were very good. Still have impeccable taste

I got to be a little kid when pokemon first came out, and I will always be grateful for that. Me and my bro traded pokemanz and stuff, was fun.

PS1 I caught the tail end of, like a year or 2 before PS2 came out. Parents wouldn't buy it because we're sheltered and only got E games basically, which Nintendo had. Some God tier RPGs that I still had impeccable taste for, but I didn't get to enjoy its full life because bad parents. I still got to spend summer mornings and nights playing dem Long RPGs (Star Ocean 2 most notably)

PS2 was the climax of my gaming. Tons of excellent games, and I still had the best of taste. Library was a bit too large for me to play all the things I wanted to ($$$ and time), but I have played most of the must plays. I don't remember any multiplayer action though; I think we played N64 for that

GC was meh, or it's when I stopped gaming so hard. We had an Xbox but I didn't play that much either besides Halo with friends/bro.

>> No.1147343

>>1147328
Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii -- basically this current gen -- I haven't gamed much. I got a job, went to school, got a gf, had a real life and blah blah haven't really had too much time to game. I have all the consoles, but I have almost no games for them. Only games I've cared about this gen were Fallout 3, Monster Hunter 3, Dark Souls/Demon's Souls, and SSBB (with friends) and the occasional Street Fighter. I havne't used it for much.

I never had any Sega systems. I do have every single Nintendo Power up until the Wii came out though. I had a Genesis from a garage sale once, but my dad spilled coffee on it by accident and that was that. I had a Dreamcast purely for PSO, but that was somewhat shortlived, and I've spent way more time on the GC one. Don't even get me started on PC gaming -- Only real PC game I've played is WoW (with friends I'm not a complete loser)

Pretty much, I think I was born at the perfect time for gaming. Parents allowed me to rent games all the time, which turned into buying the good ones. They weren't excellent, like I couldn't join karate, but they did fuel this habit. I gained a real life just when gaming started going to shit (if you don't think gaming is currently shit you're only kidding yourself), so I havne't even missed much. I still have played the good games this generation, because as time has proven, I have god-tier taste in games

>> No.1147380

>>1147298
ITT: Jelli 90's kids wishing that they were born a decade before

>> No.1147401

I was born in '85, so I think I had a pretty good experience with everything. I learned to read before I started school, so I had plenty of free time to goof around in Ultima: Exodus and Dragon Warrior back then.

My uncle got an NES in '87 and a Genesis in '90, I think, then I got an SNES in '92. I got an N64 in '97, but I never really got any other games for it. Picked up a PS1 in '98, and that was my main console till the next gen.

I never even saw a Sega Saturn when I was a kid, but a friend of mine did let me borrow his Dreamcast long enough to finish Skies of Arcadia and Code Veronica on it. For some reason, stores in my area never stocked Saturn stuff at all, and Dreamcast games were really rare (and overpriced).

>> No.1147497

I was born in '77. I was born at the perfect time. I had an Atari 2600 with Hangman as a little kid, had a NES with all that good shit like SMB2 and LoZ as a sort of big kid, I had a Genesis and a SNES as a kid, so I could not only have the beautiful feeling of blood and gore in MK2, but I could also have Super Mario World and Starfox for the most awesome gameplay ever. Eventually, I did get a N64, had Ocarina of Time, but I never really enjoyed it, somehow. I also got a Dreamcast, which I loved so much, and now I have this thing called a PS3 with GTAV. I still prefer GTA2 on Dreamcast than this newfangled 3D stuff. But yeah, I was born at a great time. As a 35 year old, I'm surprised that I'm still on 4chan. Been here for a while. Yeesh.

>> No.1147531

>>1144419
Born the same year, but honestly I don't think it really matters.

Yeah, I got to experience a lot of the classics as they were new, feeling of wonder, blah blah.

On the other hand, fuck but I'm getting old and that sucks. Sometimes I feel like a fuddy-duddy, bitching about newfangled things. I'm not even that old, I just feel like it.

>> No.1147532

>>1147497
>Prefers GTA2 on Dreamcast to GTAV
I was born in 1977 also but you're crazy for that one.

>> No.1147536

>>1147298
90s kids are the faggots who purely emulate and scoff at collectors and people that use carts for "muh nostalgia".

Most 80s kids have jobs and can afford collections and enjoy playing things as they were intended. They'll emulate things that are either too expensive to find for a reasonable price or to try out game before they buy them to see if its worth having in a collection.

Most 90s kids will buy or have mommy and daddys money buy $200 earthbounds or $100 chrono triggers for "muh hipster cred".

Sure it's generalization but I see it more on this board than I do on facebook honestly. They'll criticize the people doing the same things they are (playing retro) for nostalgia when the only reason they do it is because it's "so retro bro".

>> No.1147542

>>1144292
I would agree with that if someone was born after 95'.

On the other hand if you were born before then you at least had five years to grow up in those years. I mean shit I had at least six years to grow up in those years and I grew up with a super nintendo because my parents never got a nintendo 64 when it came out.

>> No.1147559

>>1147536
90sFag here,

>Most 90s kids will buy or have mommy and daddys money buy $200 earthbounds or $100 chrono triggers for "muh hipster cred".

Not me, I ended up getting Earthbound for free off some idiot who didn't even know how much it could go for and if I ever wanted to get Chrono Trigger I'd do it on my own.

But all of that general shit aside I do agree with you, too many faggots like that who were "Born in the 90's" and are too lazy to actually get a damn job when they're at least 16 or 17 are obnoxious.

>> No.1147564

Personally I don't think there's a "perfect time" for those videogames, as they're as good as they were back in the days, I was born in 90' and can still enjoy NES games even if I weren't even a sperm back then.

What could be true however is that you maybe think "maan, how I wish I played "X" game with my current friends in the 90'", but that wouldn't matter, as even the worst games can be fun with friends and a beer.
You can have a great time with Goldeneye just like with Halo 2, and it's all about spending that time with the people you care about, that's why you may remember those times fondly, not because you played Halo 2 in 2004 instead of 2013.

Experiences aren't simply measured by time, also, as others said, back then there wasn't internet, so we wouldn't know about all these fucking games.
Even with Nintendo Power or Pro Gamer or whatever you wouldn't.
Hell here in Italy we didn't get the NES until 1988, and in fact it was a failure and nobody bought it because it was priced high as fuck.

The only thing one can objectively miss are arcades, as those don't exist anymore in most countries.

>> No.1147571
File: 444 KB, 1195x1600, $T2eC16ZHJG8FGskTJUTsBSERGz4+ig~~60_57[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1147559
I got my Earthbound fresh out of a case of them in 1998 when some guy who had probably stole them walked into the store I worked in. I think he got about $150 for six copies.

Then it sat on my shelf until 2008 when I sold it for $450

>> No.1147583
File: 10 KB, 251x251, 1345769868231.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Born in January 1993. I'm sorry, /vr/

>> No.1147589

>>1147583
Jesus Christ people born in 1993 are 20 fucking years old.

What's your favorite VCS game, Kid?

>> No.1147595

>>1147583
I was born is August 1993. feels meh.

>> No.1147606

I was born in 84, and I think it's one of the best years to born in for console gaming.

But by the time I was a teenager arcades were all but dead. I'm sad I missed out on SF2 mania.

>> No.1147607

>>1147589
Demon Attack or Kaboom

>> No.1147609

I was born in '85 and think the '90s was the most awesome time to grow up in:

The fourth gen saw Nintendo and Sega at their peak - both had solid consoles and equal amounts of quality titles. And it wasn't 90% multi-platform shit like now. I don't think we'll ever see the likes again.

As a kid, one of the biggest things about going to a friend's house was to play video games with them. And not all my friends were that wealthy and didn't all have the latest and greatest games, and I was totally ok with this because it meant they had *different* games rather than older games. I had a friend who had a VIC-20 and a black & white TV until about '95, and lots of people still had a C64, SMS or NES. I didn't have any console until pretty late in the game (MD in '95, but had a PC), but experienced so much with friends.

I also got to experience the silver age of the arcade - lots of classics still hanging around in the '90s (Super Sprint is nearly as old as me but was still very common), but also lots of great new stuff like Sega Rally, Daytona, all the Neo-Geo stuff, and then all the great Naomi titles which seemed to mark the beginning of the end for decent arcades around here.

I also lived in Saudi during a lot of the early '90s, so got even more variety with the piracy-friendly platforms - Atari 2600 clones and Famiclones were common, and many floppies were copied for PCs and Amigas. By '93 (around the time I left Saudi) there was lots of cool new 3D shit on the PC, but I still have fond memories of playing Battle City, POW and TMNT2 on my friends' Famiclone around the same time.

>> No.1147613

>>1147497
You were too old for OoT

>> No.1147627

>>1147542
Even if they were born in 94 they would be 5 or 6 by the time they'd generally be getting into video games and most likely their first console would be the n64 because that's what their friends would have been playing.

Granted they might have had a SNES/NES around if they had an older brother or their dad played them but even then they'd be after the hype of those eras. Therefore they would have missed out on them, only to discover them later. The feels...are not the same dude.

>> No.1147639

>>1147627
I'm '93 and SNES was my shit when I was a kid. I have no nostalgia for N64 but SNES, oh boy.

>> No.1147659

>>1147613
>too old for OoT
I enjoyed Panzer Dragoon Saga more that year but OoT was still pretty great.

>> No.1147663

Whatever year that would let me be into retro collecting when it was cheap.

>> No.1147676

>>1147663
Me and my friends got into old micros before "retro gaming" was even a thing. We got BBC Micros and Spectrums in the late '90s when they were completely worthless, and traded them between ourselves. I also got a C64, a Pong clone, NES and SMS for very little around 2000 but this was through car boot sales and they were mostly shit condition.

>> No.1147692

>>1147609
>Atari 2600 clones and Famiclones were common
Holy shit, VCS clones? Never heard of them.

>> No.1147694

Born in '86, my first memories of vidya are playing NES. I was born at the perfect time, because games were still at the point that you had to abstract multicolored mosaics into plumbers. I think however, the guys that were old enough to learn programming in order to play their cames on computers have me beat. Being born in 86 means that I got to see more drastic graphical changes than before. I remember when Doom 64 came out and it was the first time anyone in my neighborhood got to see Doom. I was also born at just the right time to appreciate the first and second generation becoming retro near the end of my elementary school years. LIke I played these old bad games at my babysitter's house and understood why the would hold value.

Arcades! I definitely miss the days when there was a Mortal Kombat cabinet in the entrance to Wal-Mart. Every gas station and grocery store had some kind of arcade cabinet. There were Mega Arcades in the Biloxi and Gulfport Casinos. I remember just playing and doing OK but my aunt claims that I used to whoop asses in tekken, virtua fighter, and Mortal Kombat. I would give a testicle for the world to return to that era where I felt like I could throw down with any other 9 year old at the nearest arcade cabinet. The worst part about the death of the Arcades in the Southern US was that I deluded myself into thinking that it wasn't hapening.

>> No.1147697

>When was the best time to be born so you could enjoy the pinnacle of gaming?
Anytime.

>> No.1147715
File: 43 KB, 508x454, 234345456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1144241
>Born in 1985
>feels good bra

>> No.1147724

wish i was born in 81. then I'd be 4 when the NES came out, and in high school during the N64.

if i was my current age, born in 81, it would be 2002 right now. that would be fucking awesome.

>> No.1147731
File: 102 KB, 206x201, 1376256835093.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1147536
>being this much of a salty retard

what does one like you even take out of being on /vr/?

>> No.1147739

I was born in '94 but I was raised off an NES until 2000.

MIG-Soviet Fighter something or another
Blades of Steel
Mega-Man 6
Original Mario Trilogy
Journey to Silius
TMNT
Some sports games I was never really interested in

Is this bad

>> No.1147749
File: 165 KB, 800x600, atari_12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1147692
Yes, they seemed common enough in the Middle East. They'd usually have loads of built-in games - I had a few friends with them and don't recall any of them having cartridges.

I don't recall them having any Atari branding on them but we called them "Ataris", whereas I didn't know what the hell a Famiclone really was (the clones available at the time looked like white/red Famicoms). And they always had shitty joysticks like pic - I actually remember one of them snapping off in my hand.

>> No.1147751
File: 268 KB, 500x327, frogburger.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1147536
>mfw I'm a 90s kid and already have earthbound and chrono trigger because of my awesome childhood

How much more the opposite of "so retro bro" can you get?

>> No.1147761

>>1147751
that's a toad numbskull

>> No.1147783

>>1147751
Your image is irrelevant and also mistitled.

>> No.1147790

I was born in 1980, and I seriously feel that as far as gaming goes, I was always the right age. Most of the games in the 1980's were pretty lame due to their primitive simplicity, but because I was just a kid back then, I was still young enough that I was able to appreciate it all. It was all still so new to me and everybody else for that matter that we were able to enjoy it.

I was in my mid- to late teens when the original Playstation was a thing. When I really think about it, age 17 was really the best age to experience games like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil when they were new. By then I was old enough that I actually had the skills to play them, but still young enough that I could feel the hots for Lara without looking stupid.

I'd say that if you were born somewhere between 1980-85 you were lucky, because you were at a perfect age to experience and understand all the highlights, the breaktroughs and the advances in classic video gaming. Now that the new generations of super consoles are out, ironically, gaming feels lamer than ever, but that's okay, because I'm too old now anyway, and I already go to experience the golden age of video games anyway. So, no regrets, it was a childhood well spent.

>> No.1147808

>>1147790

>Most of the games in the 1980's were pretty lame due to their primitive simplicity

Well, there goes that post.

>> No.1147818

itt people who don't know the difference between a 90s kid and a 90s baby. I was born Jan '90 so right at the begging. I was also a super observant kid and well aware of what was going on. I knew what 90s death metal was when I was a kid I didn't ever listen to it but I had heard of morbid angel and possessed which is a lot more than most people can say. death metal may be shitty to you but it was culturally relevent in the 90s. not many "90s kids" would be able to tell you that.

>> No.1147836

>>1147808
Well, you can't deny that games started to get a whole lot better in the 1990's. While I still love me some Commodore 64 titles, you have to admit that you wouldn't want to spend hours playing a single title anymore, because honestly, they don't have that much substance.

>> No.1147859
File: 27 KB, 500x347, IS IT A TOAD OR A FROG LOL I DUNNO.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1147761
>>1147783

>> No.1147896

Born in 1987, started with the Mega Drive, went on to the PlayStation, PS2 and Xbox. Got a PC around 2005, started with UT2004 and Counter Strike, never looked back. Once you've played single-player games for enough time, you just see through the smoke and mirrors involved and lose all interest.

Nowadays, I like fighting games, RTS and FPS.

>> No.1147901

>>1147749
That's definitely Pole Position 2 on that box and some other 7800 games. Are those the actual games it had? You should post some of that stuff in our bootleg hardware thread.

>> No.1147905
File: 107 KB, 1024x576, excitementbegins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1144397
1976 reporting, if I could brofist you I would.

>> No.1147910

>>1147836
>Ultima, Wasteland, Wizardry, & Bard's Tale have no substance
90s kid detected

>> No.1147954

>>1147343
OP here, I am pretty jelly of that scenario. I don't know if it's because of being born later but I was happy to have the Gamecube when it first came out and it was really cool to see the XBOX come out and be this ultimate gaming machine which brought us a great online system to play with friends. And I think right after Halo 2 hit it's peak is when it all went down hill and we saw the influx of generic games, not saying that we didn't have shit games from other eras but they weren't main stream, they stayed in the shadows and were agreed to be terrible. All of the sequels on the Wii to games I had on the Gamecube and 64 (Like paper Mario) were just a big let down and I lost interest in gaming in the modern era.
I really wish I could have been aware of my good taste like you were when the SNES came out. I've had to buy back all the great RPG and Action games I only realized I enjoyed after emulating in my teen years. I'm still thankful I got my games before the crazy steep prices hit, back when those minty earthbounds with box and guide topped around 200$ BuyItNow.

>>1147497
Being born this early were you into the Arcade gaming scene? Seems like if you were it would have been awesome.

>> No.1147964

>2013
>thinking you were bron in le rong generation

Born 1990. First console was the SNES.

No regrets. I got an N64 for my 7th birthday, and my friends all had PlayStations, so I got to take in a decent chunk of that 5th gen goodness as a kid. And thanks to the various retro compilations that came out during the 6th gen, I got to catch up on some of the classics while I was still a young teen.

Protip: it's never too late to play a game, and it doesn't matter if it's older than you are. That's why this board exists in the first place.

>> No.1148365

I had unparalleled bro times during the NES era.
I had friendships strained by 16-bit console wars. I felt the sting of being a Sega fan as the CD, 32X and Saturn came and went...
I was there when the store clerk hooked up the PlayStation demo and started up Battle Arena Toshinden for the first time.
I was there 9-9-99 to pick up my pre-ordered Dreamcast.

>> No.1148367

>>1148365
Oh yeah. ONE kid in the cul de sac had a N64 and we pretty much laughed at him while we played Warcraft II over our dial up connections

>> No.1148369

>>1147583
November 1993 right here, nigga. I would have loved to been born in 1980 so I could experience the early video game/computer industry.

>> No.1148429

I was born in 1979. I started with the NES and I guess that was a pretty decent time. I didn't miss the passage of much. Although I think I might be cutting myself off now. I've considered getting rid of my PS3 and getting some older consoles I'd enjoy more. I haven't touched it in months and I just never could get into it.

Sometimes I wish I were born now just for the sake of starting over but that's a whole different thing. Gaming now with tablets and smartphones and all these new consoles with internet multiplayer doesn't appeal to me much. I like real games. Not two minutes of flinging birds at pigs or having a crummy one player mode and all the good stuff on the multiplayer. And the controversy has shifted from violence to sexism and "wah he said I should go back to the kitchen". Yeah I don't want to deal with it. Forget it. I'll stay in my retro safe zone.

>> No.1148438

>>1148429
>I like real games.

Those are real games

>> No.1148528

>>1144241
I don't care when games came out; if they still exist, you can enjoy them just as much now.

What the time period does matter for is online games. I don't know enough about them to specify a "pinnacle", though.

>> No.1148529

>>1148528
I envy older games that still have an online community. Some games don't have the legs other games do.

>> No.1148547

I was born in 1984.

I wouldn't change a thing.

>> No.1148550

My life has been in a steady decline ever since Toys R' Us got rid of the wall of paper tickets + creepy guy in a cage who handed you your game purchasing setup.

>> No.1149079

>>1147901
I have no idea, it's just some random box I found on Google. I can't really remember what games they had but I don't really remember them being as low resolution as VCS games. But it has been 20 years since I've seen one now..

>> No.1149128

1981 and experienced arcades, nes, genesis, snes, ps1 and ps2 in its glory

>> No.1151307 [DELETED] 

>>1147583
>>1147595
>>1148369
February 1992. I was three when my five year old brother got a Sega Genesis for Christmas with Sonic & Knuckles. I think it would have been cool to have been around for the big releases of games like Super Mario Bros. 3, the rise of PC gaming, and especially the golden age of arcades, but I was always surrounded by friends who had NESs and cousins with PCs. While I wasn't there for the launch of SMB3 or the beginning of shareware gaming or the boom of the arcade, I still had my own moments of being awestruck with games. Just the moments of getting that Genesis hooked up, the first time seeing 3D games with Duke Nukem 3D and Crash Bandicoot, getting an Internet connection that let me play games on Newgrounds and emulators, being blinded from the "photo-realistic" graphics of the Dreamcast, and being around for the last few big arcades in my neck of the woods (RIP in peace Jillian's, FYE's arcade at the mall, Spinner's Roller Skating, and County Line Go-Carting) are enough for me to feel that I've still gotten a great experience for gaming.

As others have said, anyone can have just as much fun as anyone else ever did with any game in any time. I just utterly love reading up on video game history and buying up old games. They're still here to be enjoyed, but arcades are dead as fuck now.

>> No.1151312

>>1147583
>>1147595
>>1148369
February 1992. I was three when my five year old brother got a Sega Genesis for Christmas with Sonic & Knuckles. I think it would have been cool to have been around for the big releases of games like Super Mario Bros. 3, the rise of PC gaming, and especially the golden age of arcades, but I was always surrounded by friends who had NESs and cousins with PCs. While I wasn't there for the launch of SMB3 or the beginning of shareware gaming or the boom of the arcade, I still had my own moments of being awestruck with games. Just the moments of getting that Genesis hooked up, the first time seeing 3D games with Duke Nukem 3D and Crash Bandicoot, getting an Internet connection that let me play games on Newgrounds and emulators, being blinded from the "photo-realistic" graphics of the Dreamcast, and being around for the last few big arcades in my neck of the woods (RIP in peace Jillian's, FYE's arcade at the mall, Spinner's Roller Skating, and County Line Go-Carting) are enough for me to feel that I've still gotten a great experience for gaming.

As others have said, anyone can have just as much fun as anyone else ever did with any game in any time. I just utterly love reading up on video game history and buying up old games, they're still here to be enjoyed. But arcades are dead as fuck now.

>> No.1151368

i was born in 1981 and i loved the NES SNES and genesis. i had a friend with a turbo grafx and that was cool too.
games were excellent in those days (i have a ps3 and only really ever used it when i put rogero cfw on it). my favorite system is the saturn (currently been playing shining force 3 again)
i dont really care for the newer systems except for the fact that they are powerful stripped-down computers (not talking about nintendo's latest stuff, they jumped the shark for me when they unveiled the ultra 64).
so i like being able to play emulators on the ps3, but then the point is moot because i can just play those same games on their original systems.
i dunno if 81 was a good birth year for games (i kinda think 1 or 2 years prior to that wouldve been the complete apex because of mindset/mentality of someone just a little older than me back then woulda prolly enjoyed more games back then for different reasons (im kinda talkin about rpgs cause everybody loved mario and the blue bomber in their heyday))
but also the >>pinnacle of gaming
is subjective.
some may love the call of duties while some may prefer Super C

>> No.1151380
File: 2.86 MB, 480x271, 1375570859272.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Born in 85

Kinda glad where I was born, I remember the late 80s and all the 90s

ahhh golden era

>> No.1151445

>>1144275
i wouldn't say that about star wars. my 4 year old cousin came out to visit us and we went to disneyland. he had never seen star wars before and went on the star tours ride and LOVED it. when we went home, I put on episode iv, mainly for my own amusement, being a huge star wars fan since the age of 2, to this day, and partially because i wanted to see if he'd join in and enjoy it as i did at that age.

well, he did. and now, he's obsessed. I'm pretty damn glad I got him into star wars, and now, next time he comes over, I gotta get him into the NES. i really hope I can, but I think he's too spoiled on iPhone tablet bullshit games. regardless, I'm still glad he's at least a star wars fan. my mom spoiled vader being luke's father though to him, and I was PISSED. he even called her a liar. that kid knows what's up.

>> No.1151470

Born 79,
Not bad for gaming. Did atari and early arcade games before I really understood what was happening in games.
NES was my first actual system for myself (and older brother). SNES was the birth of my gamehood. By that time I was playing to win the game instead of dicking around.

Now I'm old and slow and forget where I am most of the time.

>> No.1151473
File: 2 KB, 256x224, Mega_Man_-_NES_-_Boss.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1144286
Mostly agreed.

Britfag of 1984 here. I grew up playing on 8-bit home computers, then DOS games in the mid 1990s, followed by Windows 95 era and N64 games. So I got to experience a whole line of classics (Jet Set Willy, Lemmings, Command & Conquer, Duke Nukem 3D, Deus Ex, Majora's Mask...) as they were released.

But when I got access to emulators, I could play all the classics I had missed, often on different platforms. In the mid 1990s, I played classic ZX Spectrum games like Lords of Midnight and Deflektor. In the late 1990s, I played old arcade games like Spy Hunter and Star Wars on MAME. It wasn't until the early 2000s that I played Zelda 3 and Sonic 1-3.

Pic related: I played Megaman for the first time yesterday.

But even though I'm still having fun playing great games from 25 years ago for the first time, and someone growing up today could do the same, I think having lived through the different eras gives you a much better "historical" understanding of the cultural context of the time. You really appreciate what is unusual or outstanding in a particular game, or what other games it is likely to be drawing influences from.

Also, when you play modern indie games with "retro" graphics, the anachronisms are really obvious. I'm not just talking about things anyone could spot, like mixing pixellated graphics of different resolutions, but also things like having 10 sprites moving at once with no slowdown.