[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 22 KB, 250x250, 250px-Red_EN_boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1131897 No.1131897[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What was the first game you recall playing as a child?

It's very vague for me, but mine was Pokemon Red.

I remember being in my Moms car in the backseat, repeatedly trying to heal my Pokemon even though they were already healed, I just remembered liking the sound it made when you healed them.

>> No.1131923

I don't know, I've been playing games since before my first memory.

>> No.1131937

Donkey Kong Country. I walked forward, ran into a Gnawty, and lost a life.

>> No.1131957

>>1131897
Itchy and scratchy, mortal kombat, and Sonic 2 for the sega game gear

>> No.1131959

Super Mario Bros.

I hate answering this question because I have such a generic answer. Shit, I would have loved it to be Blades of Steel or something.

>> No.1131967

>>1131897
Contra, mortal kombat1, mario etc. NES/SNES

>> No.1131971

Super Mario World before I could even read. My dad has a picture and I'm staring at the controller examining the buttons for the first time.

>> No.1131972

Sonic 2. Remember the first zone super fondly.

>> No.1131979

It was either Super Mario World or Zelda LttP. Don't remember which was actually first, but I got both and an SNES the Christmas after LttP was released

>> No.1132005

Ironsword:Wizards and warriors 2.
my entrance to gaming was brutal

>> No.1132006
File: 40 KB, 320x371, Lemmings-BoxScan[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Uh...my first console was a Master System, but I remember playing some Lemmings on DOS before that.

>> No.1132009

Sonic the hedgehog for the mega drive and super mario land for game boy.

>> No.1132028

Pole Position in an Atari that now i onw. I'm not that old...

>> No.1132067
File: 78 KB, 400x300, smurfrescue_(12).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Am I really that old or I just have good memory?

Smurf for the Coleco Vision, I was around 4.

>> No.1132081

Pac-man on 2600. thought I was controlling the ghosts.

>>1132005
that was one of the first games I spent my own money on. I pretty pissed off when I got home from toysrus and realized I spent $70 on a turd

>> No.1132080

Pong.

I'm so old.

So old.

>> No.1132084
File: 236 KB, 516x688, dcbdc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One of these two, on a mac my dad brought home from work

>> No.1132085
File: 2 KB, 320x200, 's_Animal_Adventures.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Grover's Animal Adventure on the family's 8086...

Ernie's Big Splash was better though.

>> No.1132087

>>1131897
The very VERY first is when I was about 5 and playing some game where you;re navigating a school on an atari my dad got down from the loft.

I have no idea what that game was or what system, but I remember it.

First actual gameplay memory is being excited as fuck about my Bulbasaur in Pokemon Red getting to level 7.

>> No.1132089

>>1131923
How do you know, if you don't remember it?

>> No.1132118

>>1132089
Well, my early memories of playing games are right on the edge of my first memories ever, so it's all jumbled up and I don't really know what came in what order.
I'm a youngfag born in 91, and what I do know is my big brother had a NES, SNES (which I still have, in fact it's on my shelf) and SMS, and my early memories of them were not of us first getting them, or my first experiences of them. I remember Super Mario/Duck Hunt cart and I vaguely remember my brother playing Duck Hunt with the light gun, although I also remember we lost the light gun and I couldn't play it, even though I tried. I remember being repeatedly terrified by the Ganon game over screen in Zelda II, and daring myself to play it even though I didn't want to because I knew what would happen. I remember the crazy colours of Digger T Rock and that weird box with the purple dinosaur thing. I don't quite remember this Disney Duck-related (I think?) game, but I remember we still had the box for it for a while after we lost the cart. I remember Double Dragon with that catchy tune in the title screen, and I also remember that years later we kept a video tape that showed me and my brothers playing it, though I don't quite remember the incident itself. I remember Sonic for the SMS, and I remember one day my brother's friend came over with Sonic 2, with Tails, who I'd only seen in the cartoons so far. I also remember vaguely for the SMS Operation Wolf, Cyber Shinobi and some castle warfare strategy game whose name escapes me. As I say, this was all when I was very young and these memories kind of overlap and I'm not sure when to place them. and I have somewhat clearer memories of the SNES, which I kind of inherited once my brother got his Sega Saturn.

>> No.1132132

The obvious--Super Mario Bros.

Lots of Contra and Punch-Out in there too, though. Contra is the only game I still have from then.

>> No.1132138

Super Mario Bros, didn't figure out the jump button, died on the first goomba ~20 times. I was ~5

>> No.1132142

I'm really not positive. I have several very, very early memories and I'm not sure which came first.
I was the youngest in my family, and we got an snes when I was <1.
My dad was a tech guy, so we had computers and games since before that.
I know very early on, if it was snes, it must have been either Pilot Wings or SMW.
If it was DOS, it could have been one of several games including a very very vague platformer controlling a kid with yellow hair (it's not Commander Keen), or one of several learning games (which I was too young to understand).
I also played Doom and Tomb Raider from a very, very young age.
I remember my favorite snes games were always the DKC games and Aladdin. Oh, and claymates. And Maui Mallard.

>> No.1132145

>>1132118
Same here.
>>1132142 is me.

>> No.1132146

um, I know it wasn't pokemon, I had a gameboy before that though. It was either super mario world on SNES or TMNT II Back From the Sewers on Gameboy

>> No.1132228
File: 115 KB, 400x550, 587216_46903_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have never finished it.

>> No.1132240
File: 35 KB, 256x224, Frankenstein_NES_ScreenShot4.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this piece of shit. i was about 4.

>> No.1132242

>>1132118
you had all 3 consoles in 1991? pimp.

>> No.1132261

I don't remember. I've been playing games my entire life.

If I'd have to narrow it down, I'd probably say Donkey Kong Country 2. Just cuz it's my favorite game ever, and one of the 6 or so SNES games I grew up with

>> No.1132262

Sonic 2. I specifically remember waking my parents up early as shit to ask them if i could play it. It's one of the few memories i have of my parents being together

>> No.1132263

Super Mario Bros. with my stepdad back when I called him Steve

>> No.1132268

>>1132242
Well, like I said my brother had them, and for all I know he could have got them on different years or birthdays/Christmasses, or saved money by getting them cheap when they were already out for a while, which might be true for SMS and NES considering his age. Anyway, he became more of a segafag with the Saturn and Dreamcast, while I stuck with Nintendo (first console I outright owned myself was the GBC).

>> No.1132273

Depends on how far back you wanna go.

Some of my first concrete memories are Super Mario World for the Gameboy (or bros if that's what it was, always get the two mixed up) and Sonic CD on the PC with a Genesis Controller. Those were from when I was two or three years old.

>> No.1132298

Probably Adiboo. I think it was for Windows 95.

>> No.1132305

The first game I remember playing was Golvellius on SMS.

>> No.1132308

>>1131897
My god. Some people on /vr/ are this young.

>> No.1132309

No clue. I really don't get how people can have a "first memory" of playing video games. I know I've been playing them since I was around 4 years old and I know some of the games I was playing at that time, but I have no clue what my first video game was nor do I know what the first video game I remember playing is.

>> No.1132359

>>1132309

same

>> No.1132363
File: 198 KB, 800x600, dsc03875coleccion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I began with this pack.

>> No.1132375

first game i ever played was super mario world. my biological dad got me a snes when it was released. i was only 3, but quickly adapted to video games. we never really got around to beating it till i was about 11 or so. still have my snes. as far as the first game i put a lot of hours into was pokemon blue. i was 8 when that came out. played it on a black gameboy pocket. then i got pokemon yellow later on along with my tommy hilfiger gbc. still have that gameboy. didn't like yellow that much though since, at that time, i mostly trained my starter, and pikachu was just useless on brock. nowadays i know that nidoran would slap his shit silly. you live and learn.

>> No.1132379

first memory would probably be playing pitfall on my step dads old atari when i was like 5

>> No.1132382
File: 195 KB, 800x1500, pacman800[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1132308
And some of us are this old

>> No.1132391
File: 189 KB, 1115x768, 1379239731631.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i'm not sure which of these memories is first but my maternal grandfather had an atari 2600 with asteroids, space invaders and a few other games i can't remember the names of. It was the show piece of his living room and it resulted in me and my brother constantly nagging our mother to go and visit him.

My paternal grandfather had a commodore 64 with paratrooper, captain cosmic and commando. This memory is a twofer because it's also my first programming memory. Reading through the manual and getting the terminal to ask me simple questions with if - else statements. I showed my younger brother and he thought the computer was possessed or something.

picture not entirely related

>> No.1132393

>>1131959
Super Mario Bros. here too dude, no shame in it

we can't all be special snowflakes, and younger kids don't get to say their first game was THE first game of the post collapse console era

We were part of something

>> No.1132413

Mine was Pressure Cooker for the Atari 2600, as I've mentioned here before.

That and Maze Craze were my favorite games till the NES came out and blew my shit away.

>> No.1132432

Probably some arcade game like Pac Man. I know it wasn't NES. My cousin had some of those table top arcade games that were popular in the early 80s. It might have been one of those. I can't really place the exact platform but the game Pac Man seems to really stick when I think of the first game I played.

>> No.1132476

Super mario 3 for SNES

>> No.1132504

If your first retro game was pokemon you probably don't know shit and have a terrible taste in games, if you managed to grow out of nintendo and enjoy other stuff now too and I'm proud of you. Too many stupid kids who played some nintendo franchise are way too defensive over their precious company that introduced them to gaming,

My first game was tetris I think, at least its the first i can remember because I started around 3 years old. I dont really remember much but I know I didn't know what I was doing on tetris. I built what I thought looked like a Giraffe and was so proud of myself lol, I had no idea what the point of the game really was though.

>> No.1132514

>>1132504
Is this your way of making fun of nintendo games?

Nintendo made some damn good franchises in the past and just because some casual players don't know much more doesn't mean the company was worth any less.

>> No.1132515

>>1132375
how does nidoran slap his shit silly? Poison don't to shit to rock. Get a mankey outside of viridian once you learn low kick you can like 2 shot his onix.

>> No.1132518

>>1132514
Are you fucking retarded? Seriously? Where did you learn to fucking read? Its a complaint about nintendofags who REFUSE to try anything else. They declare their franchises as the best just because of what console it was on without even giving anything else a try. Ninendo has damn fine games, I'm saying they aren't the only ones though like their loyalists seem to think.

>> No.1132521

>>1132518
I've seen that same style of post modified to rage against any company with a large fanbase. The whole thing reeks of your distaste of the company of the fans

>grow out of nintendo
>too defensive over their precious company

>> No.1132523

Playing Sonic 2 on the Game Gear on the ride home from Kindergarten. I didn't understand that some games could save and other's couldn't (the only other game I had was Zelda on the NES), so I was always looking for some way to save the game.

>> No.1132526

>>1132518
He's probably talking about
>If your first retro game was pokemon you probably don't know shit and have a terrible taste in games,
that wasn't very pertinent to people who refuse to play other games (or implying that people who started with it mostly refuse to move on) and could probably be construed as mean-spirited and making fun.

>> No.1132530

>>1132521
You're whole post reeks of poor reading comprehension. There is nothing wrong with nintendo, the problem is people saying "segashit" or other goofy crap like that when they haven't even played another console. Then they list off their favourite SNES games which will probably have 1 or 2 plagued by slowdown or that were better on another console and they can only say they liked it because it was on SNES. Nobody does that shit with Sega, nobody does that shit with turbo grafx 16, nobody does that shit with the playstation. Nintendo fans are annoying to listen to because they don't think anything else is worth playing. n64 kids are the worst culprits, they think the n64 was like gods gift to the earth and have the most generic crap in their best games lists.

>> No.1132537

>>1132521
Are you retarded? Just because I hate nintendo fans doesn't mean I said anything bad about the company. I listen to metal but metal fans are the most cringe people ever, I fucking hate metalheads that doesn't stop me from listening to music I like.

>> No.1132539

>>1132537
Why do you hate people who enjoy superior video gaming?

>> No.1132541

>>1132539
bait/10

>> No.1132543

I have been playing games since I can remember. It probably would have been Super Mario Bros. The one that I have a clear memory of is Super Mario World

>> No.1132557

>>1132530
>the problem is people saying "segashit" or other goofy crap
>can only say they liked it because it was on SNES.
>they don't think anything else is worth playing
>they think the n64 was like gods gift to the earth
Do you see people saying things like this? Do you see a single post in this thread that has anything do to with any of that? Is this not a thread of "firsts" and not "favourites"?

Isn't this just you trying to twist this thread for you to vent your pet hate rant? You sound like the defensive one out of this thread.

Your original post was disparaging people whose FIRST game was a particular Nintendo one, not 'favourite' or 'much admired' or even 'fans' of the Nintendo games which you later claim is the problem, but 'first'. This, despite your later innocuous claims that "There is nothing wrong with nintendo" itself, and that your saying that it was "a complaint about nintendofags who REFUSE to try anything else".

Your argument is inconsistent and just barely on-topic, your tone is mean-spirited for a discussion that did not warrant it, and I suspect that you may be trolling. I advise no-one else to respond to you. I did because I'm a masochist apparently

>> No.1132580

The first game I really remember playing was Sonic the Hedgehog. It wasn't my first though, my dad is a gamer and I used to play Super Mario Bros on his NES. I can't really remember that but there's photos of it

>> No.1132582

>>1132557
Sorry, you are right. It's totally just based on personal experience. I just hate that JonTron generation. Also that Yuriofwind on youtube is extremely popular all his fans are little shitheads because he just does shitty pokemon creepypasta. Those 2 shitheads are hugely popular though and they don't play actual good games because they're busy waiting for another rehash of a classic series. Fuck that peanutbuttergamer is the fucking worst zelda fag too, I know you may not have any idea what this shit is but its whats the most popular shit right now when it comes to retro. AVGN used to be and although he was immature and a nintendofag at least he wasn't ignorant, he's now taken a bow to those shitty youngfag youtube whores. Our community is judged by others based on those fags.

>> No.1132583

>>1132582
>popular games are still popular

Who'da thunk? You need to stop harboring so much anger for shit that's inconsequential. Faggots gonna faggot, there's nothing you can do about it son, I'm sorry but that's life. There will always be faggots.

>> No.1132590

>>1131897
I want to say Super Mario Bros. on the NES, but I couldn't have been older than 2 at the time and don't really think that memory is worth a shit.

What I can remember, vividly, is playing the first castle in SMB3 before my a day of kindergarten. A friend's mom dropped him off on the way to work so we could take him to school with us. We were wearing coats, so it must have been in the fall or winter. Other than that and vague memories of Sonic 2 and Vectorman, Pokemon Red and Blue (I ended up with both and 2 gameboys to trade with myself) is what I really remember.

>> No.1132593

Probably Super Mario Bros. for the NES. I use to play that with my cousins and dad a lot. Well, either SMB or Kickle Cubicle since that was another one I played a lot. I got into Bubble Bobble and a few other games, too, but I think I was already six or seven at that point.

>> No.1132601

>>1131897
I can tell you. Super Mario world is the very first I played. I jumped around in the first level for a bit but then the timer started running out. The faster paced music scared e so I hid behind the couch, peeking at the tv creen until the timer ran out
then i just okayed it again

>> No.1132836

Not counting LCD games, either Super Mario Land, or Mega Drive Sonic The Hedgehog/Castle of Illusion.

Few things hit me with nostalgia, than the audio from Sonic/Castle of Illusion coming from a CRT's speakers, or looking at the original boxes of the Gameboy games I've had since 1990.

>> No.1132852
File: 11 KB, 256x256, matmania.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mat Mania, at a liquor store my dad used to take me to.

Also, Rolling Thunder machine right next to it.

>> No.1132861
File: 29 KB, 281x400, gen_sagaia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This
Probably why I'm into horizontal shmups

>> No.1132863

>>1131897
>Watching my cousins play Donkey Kong on their Colecovision
>Holy fucking shit like what am I seeing??!!??

They actually gave me that Coleco eventually. I still have it, and said copy of Donkey Kong. One of my two cousins has passed away since so it kind of means a lot.

>> No.1132879

Duck Hunt when I was 3 years old.

>> No.1132880

i lold at your dead cousin

>> No.1132896

Super Mario Bros. on my dad's NES. My parents didn't want to spend money on games for me until the GBC and N64 era, so my second games were probably Mario 64 and Pokemon Red.

>> No.1133163

>>1132504
>Nintendo is for kids.
>I'ma jardcore gaymer.

>>1132515

If i remember right, only if, Nidoran learns Double kick early.

>> No.1133165
File: 53 KB, 597x329, 5954f1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1133167

>>1132515
Butterfree would be better since Confusion oneshots both his pokemon, and it learns sleep powder so it can really help with catching other pokemon.

Also, Mankey a shit. A SHIT.

>> No.1133191

Playing Mega Man 2 on Air Man's stage (probably very poorly), pooping in my diaper, getting it changed then going back to playing. I was maybe.. 3? Because I got out of diapers before I was 4.

>> No.1133196
File: 87 KB, 1024x768, zelda-oracle-of-seasons-.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This and Pokemon Blue.

>> No.1133202
File: 259 KB, 567x522, 1381627240517.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw getting amnesia at 7 years old due to a car crash so I don't have any early childhood memories

>> No.1133205

>>1133196
I don't want to be a prick, but you probably have to be really young for Oracles (came out in 2001, didn't it?) to be your earliest memory of playing a video game. Like.. underaged.

>> No.1133235

>>1133205
Nah, I didn't get into video games for a good while.

Didn't help I was pretty poor at the time either.

>> No.1133239

>>1131897
Either Commander Keen or Super Mario All Stars.

>> No.1133247
File: 10 KB, 256x240, _-Replay-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-III-The-Manhattan-Project-_.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Obviously I can't remember exactly which was the very very first game. But I remember this one and Mario 3 as most of the first ones.

>> No.1133386
File: 91 KB, 640x480, 38093-faxanadu-nes-screenshot-the-introduction-to-a-new-games (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a couple of random memories from before age 4, but I can't exactly place which one came first.

One I remember quite clearly is this image from the opening of Faxanadu. I remember feeling overjoyed when I found the game (which I had forgot the name of) when I was in middle school at a Funcoland and recognized it by the cover.

I also have memories of the creepy fucker from Maniac Mansion scaring the shit out of me.

>> No.1133392

Super Mario Bros 3. Been playing it since 3 years old.

>> No.1133419

>>1132515
double kick. do you even pokemon?

>> No.1133437

Sonic 1. Genesis.

>> No.1133450

First games I've ever played are Super Mario Land and Tetris on the Game Boy.

The earliest console game I can remember is Toy Story on the Genesis.

>> No.1133467
File: 43 KB, 220x251, Frogger_game_arcade.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1131959
My most vivid early gaming memories are SMB, but the first game I can remember playing was Frogger.

A little less lame and generic, but I know that feel.

>> No.1133487
File: 332 KB, 900x900, childhoodmosaic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was bored, so I made a 3x3 of games I remember playing a ton when I was a kid and still sucked a lot at games. In the age before I had a Gameboy, whenever-I-felt-like-it access to a console, or an allowance to spend on games.

>> No.1133503

>>1132363
Mine began with Link's Awakening.

>> No.1133509

SMB 1, got underground, died because I didn't know how to run to jump far enough.

>> No.1133525

It was either Super Mario Bros. or something on the Atari 2600.

I was exposed to many eras as a child.

>> No.1133526
File: 34 KB, 1024x768, Pong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mum and dad used to let us play 1/2 an hour before bedtime on non school days.

>> No.1133539
File: 26 KB, 222x227, SML.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1133751

>>1131897
Electro Body/Electro Man
Crying after getting Game Over in Raptor: Call of the Shadows

>> No.1133873

Sonic 2 on my uncle's Sega Genesis.

>> No.1133880

Timelord on the NES.

>> No.1133894
File: 141 KB, 640x912, KA_Boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1133897

Mario World

>> No.1133905
File: 161 KB, 956x1024, Z0034366.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

still got my cartridge, too

>> No.1133909

Super Mario Land

still havent completed it to this day but I finished 6 golden coins

>> No.1134935

>>1133163
Only in Yellow.

>> No.1135109

>>1131897
i remember when i was 6 watching my dad play sonic the hedgehog 2 for like 5 hours and eventually giving up. he handed me the controller and i beat it first try. felt good.

>> No.1135132

Final Fantasy 1.

I didn't understand needing to buy equipment from shops, I died to spiders at the temple of fiends. One day, some older kid came around, made a party of Fighter, Fighter, Red Mage, Red Mage, showed me how to buy stuff, and I made it all the way to the Marsh Cave before becoming traumatized for the next 10 years.

Seriously, I will never forget that place as my first major block in gaming. I subsequently made it through FF2, FF3, and all sorts of other RPGs, but I never went back to the Marsh Cave until I was 17 years old. At which point I got stuck on the earth cave for a couple of days, and somehow managed to breeze through the ice cave.

>> No.1135134

Zombies Ate My Neighbors or Streets of Rage 2

>> No.1135172

Wolf 3D, sitting on my dad's lap.

First game I ever owned was Marathon.

>> No.1135201
File: 56 KB, 302x432, godzilla_nes_main.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1131897
This

>> No.1135205

>>1131897
>repeatedly trying to heal my Pokemon even though they were already healed, I just remembered liking the sound it made when you healed them.

That's adorable.

Mine is probably Commander Keen 1. I remember being really excited and rushing off to tell my mom when I managed to save one of the cities.

>> No.1135209
File: 11 KB, 640x400, 115268-mindbender-dos-screenshot-the-first-level-the-light-bounces.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thing here.
Fuckin' Mindbender.

>> No.1135371
File: 3 KB, 320x200, boxing-atari-2600-screenshot-the-game-in-black-and-white-modes.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Mine was Boxing on the Atari 2600,
I was playing it with my brother on a black and white tv.

>> No.1135394

>>1135371
Only game I ever played with my father, I remember we used to keep scores with a pad and pencil.

>> No.1135565

Mario for NES, back in 1994. I was three years old.

>> No.1135579
File: 15 KB, 626x480, 1417_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I had seen Pong on television, but had never played it. I don't think I actually played an actual Pong console until the late 80's.

>> No.1135626

Well I've been playing games since I had the mental and physical capability required, so I don't actually know the first game I played. The first games I remember playing are Jurassic Park (Sega Genesis), Lode Runner, Marathon, and asteroids. I'm so glad all the games of my childhood turned out to actually be good.

>> No.1135648

Duck hunt

>> No.1135693

I thought people on /vr/ were a lot older. I saw some exceptions, but Pokemon and SNES games?

Nothing wrong with it, just it seems I had the wrong impression.

Mine was Ice Climber.

>> No.1135695

It was probably SMB/Duck Hunt, though my memories of TMNT are more clearer, especially the bomb disarming and getting shocked by electrical seaweed.

>> No.1135696

Kenseiden or Miracle Warriors for the SMS

>> No.1135709

Either Super Mario Bros or Pitfall. I'm not really sure. My parents had a VCS and NES up until I was 6 or so when they gave the Atari to my cousin Jason, who then sold it and all the games to a collector a few years ago when Atari stuff was going for high prices.

>> No.1135725
File: 26 KB, 500x375, tabletop_pacman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember playing Pacman at a Taco restaurant that was within walking distance from the house I lived in as a kid.

>> No.1135730

>>1131897
Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt

Also I think Dig Dug II

>> No.1135746

1943 for the Atari

>> No.1135752

I got a NES on my fourth birthday.Vividly remember the first game I ever played on it was Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout. I still play it every now and then for pure nostalgia reasons

>> No.1135786

>>1135730
Are you me? Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt were the first 2 games I ever played as well.

I was fucking awful at Duck Hunt. Couldn't hit shit. But I was like 6, so I guess that's to be expected.

>> No.1135830

>>1131897
Duck Hunt and Mario Bros on the NES. My cousins had it. I liked it but I didn't play it obsessively or anything, and I found that dog irritating. I really started getting into games when I played Commander Keen on my uncle's workstation computer.

Probably the first game I ever physically saw was Tetris on the GameBoy, which my father received as a gift the year I was born, but I don't remember it. There was a video of me tapping on the buttons and drooling.

>> No.1135852

>>1132504
>"If your first retro game was pokemon you probably don't know shit and have a terrible taste in games, if you managed to grow out of nintendo and enjoy other stuff now too and I'm proud of you."

Your mangled grammar and presumptuous attitude marks you as a great gift to all mankind.

>> No.1136345

According to my brother, the first game I played was the Lion King, although I don't remember it.

My earliest memory was coming home from the hospital after I broke my leg when I was 4, and playing the Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening for the first time. It made me fall in love with the series, as well as Swords and Shields and such.

>> No.1137421
File: 127 KB, 729x737, 547.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1137453

>>1131897
without reading the thread, i'm sure i'm the cliche smb1 on nes kid.
>rick, wake up, come help mommy and me beat this mario level
>fuck off i'm 5

>> No.1137456
File: 71 KB, 640x457, earlygaming.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1137453
pic sorta related, me at 5 or 6

>> No.1137475

>>1137456
Nice - do you still have that console??

>> No.1137486

>>1137475
i wish. it was probably yard sale'd, broken or 'borrowed' by a friend.

i use the picture to poke fun at my fiance, who is 6 years younger than i am.
>i've been playing sonic since before you were born

>> No.1137513

Super Mario World.

My dad and I used to play for hours and hours on his SNES.

We ended up beating that game so many times.

>> No.1137512

Megaman 5

First game I remember loving was Crystalis. Been playing dat vidya since I was like 3

>> No.1137521

Probably Missle Commander, boring as fuck for the 5 year old me.

My game addiction started with the NES.

>> No.1137614

>>1135786
I think it was probably really popular for kids our age to start with Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. I was born in 1990 if it matters.

>> No.1137896

Playing wario land 3 on my green transparent came boy pocket with the lamp attachment in the car while looking for a new house after plagiarizing ocarina of time's storyline to write a 5th grade paper. I specifically remember that it was the part where warios castle is flooded and you have to jump across furniture to cross.
touch reulty

>> No.1138020

I'm not sure if was Super Mario Bros. or Battletoads, but I´m sure that it was a NES game.

>> No.1138071

I think it was playing Super Mario Bros. 2/3 on my friend's NES. I think it used to belong to his parents, because it was just before the PS came out.

>> No.1138081

>just holding a controller
One year old, mashing buttons while Contra was on the NES.
>actually playing and understanding it a little
Three years old, playing SMB3 on the NES. I loved how colorful it was, I was absorbed in its world. When my parents got a SNES next year, I was blown away at SMW.
>tfw never got past the first half of world 2 in SMB3 because the NES wasn't rediscovered from a closet for a long time

>> No.1138158

Drelbs on the Spectrum at a friends house. He was so proud of having 64k ram and a thermal printer. Some Flash Gordon game after that.

And the first game I played on my C64 was Barbarian 2. I was shit at it because it had weird controls. After that was StarQuake.

>> No.1138176
File: 11 KB, 320x200, choose your character.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm pretty sure this is the very earliest vidya I can remember. Super Mario World for the SNES is a close second.

>> No.1139785

>>1135725
>dat cocktail
my nigga
signed, >>1132382

My Pac Man was at the grocery store. Pizza Hut also had a couple cocktails, I think Galaxian and Ms Pac Man and an Enduro Racer upright and this pizza buffet Village Inn had Stunt Cycle and Bump N Jump but I feel fairly confident that my earliest memories was of that Pac Man at the grocery store because we went there more often.

>> No.1142932
File: 30 KB, 370x372, Wildarms.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wild arms made me love RPG games.

Too bad the remake was a let down.

>> No.1142935

Mechwarrior 2 on a Windows 95 or something like that machine.

Still one of my favorite games of all times, and the atmosphere of the game absolutely captivated my young mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3GD0UnBCk

I'm still convinced this is the best intro to pretty much any video game ever.

>> No.1142939

>>1131897
Zelda II: Adventure of Link. Basically the instant I pressed that button on the NES (that I found by digging through my dad's stuff) I pretty much sealed what kind of human being I was going to be growing up.

>> No.1142941

I must have been not quite four years old, but I remember my dad getting a PC and playing this stupid little game called "Pipe dream", where you had to place down pipes to keep ahead of a surging tide of green crap.

Was a bit like tetris, in how you didn't pick the sort of pipe you got, you just had to make do with what was randomly generated.

>> No.1143025

>>1131897
>Boot up Legend of Zelda
>Wander around Kokiri Forest
>Can't pass the guard out of the forest
>Can't pass the guard towards the great deku tree
>Didn't notice the kokiri sword hole
So I went and played Banjo Kazooie instead.

>> No.1143047

Twin Turbo for the NES, in an apartment in NYC.

Must have been around 1994.

>> No.1143052

>>1142941
Don't talk shit about Pipe Dream, that game's awesome.

>> No.1143095
File: 109 KB, 320x323, Metroid2_boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And the first game I bough with my own money was Metroid Fusion.

What a great series

>> No.1143134

wolfenstein 3d. my dad was playing it and let me try

>> No.1143135

>>1131897
Jesus Christ...1998 is your first memory of a video game? I'm too old for this site now, apparently it's a daycare.

>> No.1143213

>>1143135
Mine was Ocarina of Time and I was born in 1987.

>> No.1143226

>>1143135

Feel free to leave. We won't miss you. And as >>1143213 points out, not everyone gets into hobbies at the same age. Don't be a faggot that projects his life experience onto others.

>> No.1143241
File: 192 KB, 409x409, 1370591600016.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Playing Quake 2 back in 1999, I think.

It's been my favorite game ever since.

>> No.1143258

Ice Climber in 1989. My dad borrowed a NES from a co-worker. Later got my own NES for my 7th birthday the same year.

>> No.1143278

Super Mario Bros at a friend's house.

>> No.1143425

Call me a newfag, but mine would either be blues clues for WIN95 or the OG crash bandicoot

>> No.1143542
File: 62 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This shit was awesome when I was like three years old.

>> No.1143739

probably either playing Mario 3 with my grandma who was an NES expert, or playing sonic 2 on the genesis. I'm not sure if my parents got me a genesis first, or if I visited my grandma and played mario first... i really wish i knew....

>> No.1143862
File: 4 KB, 256x273, centiped.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

glad to see some other older people here.

mine was CENTIPEDE on an atari 400. maybe '82, '83.

i didn't see any other game around the house til '87-88, when i learned what a nintendo was from my babysitter.

>> No.1143863
File: 253 KB, 600x375, rambo.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Rambo: First Blood part II on the Commodore 64. the year was 1986, I was 6 years old. Good fucking times, man.

>> No.1143890
File: 17 KB, 641x400, CCnigguh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1131897

>> No.1143894
File: 3 KB, 256x224, RBIBaseballNES.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

it's a toss up between super mario bros., duck hunt, & rbi baseball

1988 here.

>> No.1143895
File: 706 KB, 1280x1707, 1353122950820.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1143863
another person born in 1980 on 4chan? I can barely believe mine eyes

>> No.1143901

>>1143863
Fellow 1980's bro. C64 too, Hunchback or Seaside Special.

>> No.1143910

>>1143895
>>1143863
might as well post mine, Atari 2600, probably pheonix, defender, or berserk

>> No.1145749

I was born in 1988, I want to say my first memory was playing my uncles atari 2600 but I don't know the name of the game. It was where you could fight planes in the sky and fight each other as tanks, there were other shooting type games on this one cartridge.

>> No.1145801

The first game I remember seeing was some sort of cocktail shmup (it could have even been a vector game like Asteroids) when I was about 3 - I'm not sure if I was actually given the opportunity to play it.

After that it would have been Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger and arcade games of a similar vintage when I was 4. I lived in a compound in Saudi and they had a "rec room" kinda place with a row of free-to-play arcade games. Around the same time one of my friends had a 2600 clone with many shitty built-in games - they were quite common in Saudi (late '80s/early '90s) and I don't ever remember seeing a single game cartridge for them as they always had at least 20 games built-in.

The first system we owned was a 386 PC when I was 6. I can't remember the first game I played but it was probably something really shitty. The earliest memorable games I remember playing were either Commander Keen 4 or Indianapolis 500.

I probably played a Famiclone before a real NES (again because of being in Saudi until the mid '90s), not even realising what it was.

>> No.1145808

>Pokemon Red

Now I feel old...

Pitfall

>> No.1146256

Mario 64

>> No.1146287

>>1131897
I can remember playing SMB/Duck Hunt and TMNT II on my family's old NES back when I was probably 4.

I think I might of had Tiger Heli too.

>> No.1146362

I remember making my dad boot up MS DOS to play jazz the jackrabbit.

>> No.1146379

Some flight simulator on an Acorn Archimedes.

>> No.1146381

I don't remember what it's name was. I've asked around in some of those name that game threads, but I've never gotten anything.

It was one of those hybrid text adventures, you know, aside from movement, you still had to type in "open door" or whatnot, but you moved with the arrow keys.

2D, black and white graphics, a kind of profile view. You explored some kind of castle, and I remember using a diamond to kill a dragon somehow, and even the 4 year old me or something was astounded that actually worked.

>> No.1146415

When i was a kid, i remember having 4 games for the nes: smb/duck hunt, smb 2, simpsons: bart vs the space mutants and back to the future 2/3. i mainly played mario for years until i got a snes.

>> No.1146441

i remember when I was a kid I was at a game shop in Tokyo and was very upset when my mom came out with a wario game instead of a Kirby game

>> No.1146452

Popeye, commodore 64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwGxOTfUXM

I was very little and it was very, very hard. If you know what I mean.

>> No.1146492
File: 67 KB, 400x400, nes-kungfu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The first memory I have of playing vidya is probably Kung Fu for the NES. My grandpa had a room in his house with a tv and a nes, and old computer (I want to say it was running 3.1, but I could be wrong.

Kung Fu was so god damn hard when I was young, you don't even know.

>> No.1147137

asteroid on atari

>> No.1147552
File: 163 KB, 640x427, 7190531444_9f56fd6126_z.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lemmings for RISC OS in my first year at school.

>> No.1148060

>>1146492
>that pic

I always wondered what they were doing. Also the female enemy from the first level of Bad Dudes seems to attack by dry humping you.

>> No.1148418

I'm pretty sure it was playing Super Mario Bros. on the NES. It was either that or Duck Hunt.

>>1146492

Kung Fu was one of the first games I played as well. I was never able to beat it at the time, but just recently finished it. I now see why it was so fucking bullshit as a child.

>> No.1148428

Super Mario Bros 3.
Pretty much the same as >>1131937, but with goombas, on the 1st screen.