[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 88 KB, 640x480, subculture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1127770 No.1127770[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Q: What is it?
A: Sub Culture is an open world exploration and trading game set in the shallow underwater world of tide pools where a tiny humanoid race has built an undersea civilization to hide from us full sized humans. You pilot a submersible between underwater cities, trading various resources at fluctuating prices, salvaging items dropped from the surface world, and doing missions for the two main factions; the Bohine and the Procha, with their opinions of you changing accordingly. This guide, if followed precisely, will leave you with the most complete, patched, visually upgraded version of the game possible.

STEP 1: From the link provided at the bottom of this paragraph, download the ISO version. NOT the "rip". The ISO has all the FMVs and wonderful music/voice intact. For this kind of game that's half the charm. (IMPORTANT: The MDF is encrypted, but when you unrar you’ll discover there’s a unecm.bat file for decrypting it. If you don’t do this before burning/mounting, the image/disc will be unreadable.) note that the uncut english version is insanely rare and found only here: http://www.old-games.ru/game/download/579.html

STEP 2: download the patch, which fixes a few annoying bugs. The download for that is on the same page as the full ISO.

STEP 3: During installation, select the 3DFX version, and a full 200mb install. Once it's installed, put the patch (SCPATCH.EXE) into the game folder and run it.

STEP 4: Install nGlide. This is a wrapper that will let you run the 3D accelerated version of the game on modern hardware.
http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

STEP 5: Install the Real Texture Pack 2.0. It can be found here: http://www.ccalonnec.fr/?q=node/10
Once you have it, look for the folder inside your main Sub Culture folder titled “GAMETEX”. Extract the contents of the rar into that folder, after backing up the contents somewhere else in case something fucks up.

>> No.1127776

Now run the game. In the graphics menu, turn on all the bells and whistles. Controls: A and Z go forward/back, S and X go up and down, the arrow keys control pitch/yaw, spacebar fires weapons, [ and ] switch between items, - and + switches between weapon types, F1 switches to first person, F2 to 3rd person, F3 and F4 toggle the main HUD monitor to down-facing or rear facing cameras, and the 1,2,3,4 and 5 buttons show or hide the various heads up display monitors at the top of your cockpit.

Walkthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGB_K7BCCyc

There are cheat codes but do not use them, it will prevent you from seeing the final cinematic.

>> No.1127797

Is this a virus? Because I WOULD like this game. Heard it was fantastic. Feel like I'd rather pay for it though. Is there a point to paying for it anymore? Will the designers get anything?

>> No.1127829

>>1127797
>Is this a virus?

AVG doesn't turn up anything.

> Because I WOULD like this game. Heard it was fantastic.

It really is. It's like Freelancer, underwater, but with humor and charm.

>Feel like I'd rather pay for it though. Is there a point to paying for it anymore? Will the designers get anything?

Nobody sells it that I know of. I'm a little shocked there were never any console versions.

>> No.1127862

Why aren't there more games in this genre? It's cozy as fuck. There's a billion space games, I want to cruise around in my little sub salvaging artifacts and selling them to a trade station and shit.

>> No.1127884

>>1127862

There's this indie game that's very close to what you want, although it still needs a lot of fleshing out.

http://www.farskygame.com/

You basically just explore an infinite procedurally generated ocean looking for parts to customize your sub, while fighting sea creatures.

>> No.1127916

>>1127862
Archimedean Dynasty looked very similar, though I can't really say how it compares to Sub-culture as I never actually played either of them myself

>> No.1127924

>>1127916

Aquanox 1 and 2 were sequels to that. Archimedean Dynasty is more complex but I really enjoyed Aquanox 2 in particular.

>> No.1128180

>>1127862
Don't worry anon, Pressure will come out someday. It has to. you have to believe

>> No.1128201

>>1128180
It already has.

It's called Space Station 13

>> No.1128646

>>1127770
>cannot run installer on 64-bit OS
>sadness

>> No.1128809
File: 328 KB, 464x668, chairman_chang.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You know, I tried getting into Sub Culture a few years ago, but it was just too deep for me.

>> No.1128817
File: 97 KB, 500x500, Critical_Depth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I thought this was a Critical Depth thread, but it's some pussy open-world "tiny humanoids" kind of nonsense.

Fuck this. CRITICAL DEPTH, otherwise known as Twisted Metal underwater and in full 3D thread please.

>> No.1128848
File: 15 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

reminds me of Treasure Of The Deep on PSX

>> No.1130319

>>1127862
Hardwar is pretty much what you described, only in a conglomerate of craters on Titan.

>> No.1130351

>>1130319
It's definitely cosy, with the colour scheme and the fog (even set to far, there's just enough to make it feel atmospheric... in a nice way, not a spooky or old-tech way)

Relax and hover around a light well waiting for something to kick off between a couple of NPCs, then salvage any cargo or scrap.