[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 44 KB, 480x360, saturn-system.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1126712 No.1126712[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

It seems the Saturn gets a decent amount of love on /vr/. I was waiting to get a good deal on one when I found one w/2 controllers for 25. This was a little while ago, and I can't help but feel a little regret about it. Looking at the game library for Saturn, it just seems like a giant money pit. Any good RPG seems to be like 70 and up, and it's impossible to find Saturn games at all outside of resellers selling at or above FMV. I've managed to find Mortal Kombat 3 and Die Hard Trilogy for 4 bucks each, but no luck since then. For those with Saturns, how do you cope? Did you mod it to play burned discs? Do you simply emulate to get the experience? Or do you simply have more disposable income than myself haha.

>> No.1126724

Just get a modchip.

>> No.1126729

>>1126712
I was just smart back when they started really going out of style and started grabbing games anywhere I saw them. Got Legend of Oasis for $15 from a pawn shop once, and when I saw Saturns selling for $50 a pop I bought 2 as back ups just in case.

But that was ages ago. These days, I would recommend looking into mod chips and burning games. The games on the system are pretty great, but they're not worth the prices you'll have to pay to the people who still own them.

>> No.1126767
File: 261 KB, 1024x768, Shinning_Force_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1126712
The money. It's the only reason I considered a Saturn. That and I wanted to bask in Sega glory.

If you like shmups, some of the imports are cheap. (by cheap I mean between $20 - $30)

Yeah, RPGs will kill your wallet. So far I only have Shining Force 3.

>> No.1126791

I feel like I should just get the USB adapter for my Saturn controllers and just enjoy the games on my computer until I have lottery winning-esque luck and come across Saturn games in the wild. Seems easier than installing the mod chip and 15 bucks for 64/Saturn/PS2 adapter? Better price too. Hence the regret of the system. Like, unless I run into more games this year I might end up trading it out, maybe to get a Sega CD (only part of the Sega Gangbang I'm missing, and even though the RPG's are again pretty expensive, I can swallow 50-70 for Lunar rather than 90+ for any working designs saturn title.

>> No.1126819

>>1126791
So is Saturn emulation on computers actually decent now?

If you want to play Lunar, the Sega CD versions are the way to go. Especially of Lunar 2. There are all sorts of weird things they messed up with the Saturn/PSX ports like less music tracks, the removal of animation frames when opening doors and the Illusion Woods going from a forest where you have to find the right trees that have passages through them to just a maze of bushes. It's very strange, the changes they made. The game balance is also better in the original.

>> No.1126823
File: 235 KB, 842x451, woods compare.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1126819
forgot the pic because I'm retarded

>> No.1126824
File: 61 KB, 580x435, sega_rally_desert.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You might get lucky finding something at a flea market, online prices for Saturn games, especially US releases, can be pretty astronomical. A lot of people are going to tell you the bulk of the library's good games were only released in Japan, and a lot of Japanese versions of games can be acquired for cheaper, if language is a barrier there are still some good action games like shmups and fighters that require little to no Japanese.

You'll want to get the Action Replay Plus, as it'll let you play imports, save games, and also serves as a RAM expansion which some 2D games like X-men vs Street Fighter need.

http://www.amazon.com/Action-Replay-Plus-sega-saturn/dp/B000HFAWLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381332083&sr=8-1&keywords=sega+saturn+action+replay

If you don't mind paying out the ass for EMS shipping, you can find a good amount for games hella cheap at Rakuten. You can offset the cost of shipping if you buy in bulk and it'll still be cheaper in a lot of cases than getting the Japanese version off of a place like eBay.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/

Searching for specific games can be kinda goofy so just do a general search like "sega saturn" and browse through their catalog.

The game recommendation guide was already posted but you can find it here:

>>1091649

Alternatively, you can do what >>1126724 suggests.

>> No.1126830
File: 1.54 MB, 2560x1920, IMG_20130412_143947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1126712
>For those with Saturns, how do you cope?
I play the same games I've owned since the 90s plus any decent ones I happen to find in the wild (almost never happens anymore)

Probably going to get a V3 pretty soon.

>> No.1126832

>>1126830

>PDS

Hella jelly. I was lucky enough to be able to borrow that game from a friend a long time ago. Best 15 hour RPG I've played.

>> No.1126843

>>1126832
Got it new off the shelf, but it was $70 like OP is complaining about. Seems like it's worth more like $300 these days if not more.

>> No.1126864

>>1126843

It can easily be $400-$500 nowadays. I wish I was older when I had a Saturn and could afford my own games when this and others like Rayearth came out.

>> No.1126867
File: 145 KB, 900x660, soukyuugurentai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Saturn is a requisite for shmups, both US and Nippo releases, and to add to what's been already stated, it's worth the extra $30~ for a 4-in-1 action replay cart. I got mine a while back for $60 with 2 controllers, and 2 light guns plus 6 games, finally getting it modding. Fucking most anticipation I've had lately with my pants on.

By the by, is there any special software / techniques for burning the disc images? I know there are with Dreamcast as to not cause the laser head to work too hard, but does such troubles exist with the Saturn? Thanks~!

>> No.1126894

>>1126791
Installing a mod chip in a Saturn is not even close to hard

>> No.1126928

Games aren't terribly priced, you just have to be on the lookout. If you can settle for it, get games loose, as that usually knocks the price down, or look at lots. If you live in a city or near one, go to some swap meets, sometimes you can find some interesting stuff.

Saturn is literally nonexistent near me, and the closest places which sell Saturn stuff are about an hour away. But luckily I've nabbed some really crazy deals recently, like 10 CIB games (Astal, NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2 are the notable ones), two controllers, and some common DC games for a flat $100. You just gotta be on the look out, and keep putting a little cash away for some sweet new games.

>> No.1126943

Well, since my only places to get saturn games are ebay and local gaming shop (which has ebay prices), i just buy fewer games and save money where i can.