[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 992 KB, 500x281, 1379785989378.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1126017 No.1126017[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I turn 21 tomorrow.
Am I too young for /vr/?
Also, recommend me something fun to play. I've been going through the SNES catalogue since, as a kid, I had a NES and didn't even know the SNES was a thing until after the N64.

>> No.1126058

Nah man, no one is too young for VR. I would recommend Megaman X (since, it's AWESOME!) some Super Metroid, Super Mario World and possibly some Star Fox. Classics for the system.

Turtles in Time, Sunset Riders and Contra III also get honorable mention. Oh! Castlevania IV! God damn,friend.

Too much happy!

>> No.1126078

>>1126058
I've been looking forward to Castlevania IV but I just played through CV1, I'm skipping 2 after playing it for about 5 minutes without knowing anything going in, then I did research and found out all about 2 and just don't want to play that, so I'm playing 3 now. That first level with the ascending staircases past the stained glass windows was freaking awesome.

>> No.1126086
File: 75 KB, 400x280, 215780-msa_4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1126058
>VR

The fuck is "VR"?

OP, if you're going to bother with emulation, why not Neo Geo?

Go play Metal Slug, it's good for you.

>> No.1126109

>>1126078
Hey, OP, I'm only 20 myself, so don't worry about it. If you're five years old but willing to discuss retro vidya, that's all that matters.

And yeah, CVIII is fucking great. Soundtrack is awesome throughout. Especially when you actually get to the Castle proper, and the original Level 1 theme ("Vampire Killer") starts playing again. Awesome.

>> No.1126136

>>1126017
>I turn 21 tomorrow.
>Am I too young for /vr/?
I'm 21 now. The only difference is that I grew up with hand-me-down consoles from my older cousins, so I still had the Genesis, SNES, etc when I was little and didn't catch up to current systems until midway into the GameCube's life.

Nobody is too young to play good games, OP.
For games:
- If you like Platformers, try out Plok. It's a pretty decent game.
- Demon's Crest is also absolutely fantastic.
- ActRaiser is one of the best Action games on the system, so check that out.
- If you can get a friend, play through Zombie's Ate My Neighbors.
- For Beat-Em-Ups, you can't go wrong with Turtles In Time, the Kunio-Kun games, or Knights Of The Round.
- There's so many RPGs on the system, it's hard to recommend some, but I really like Shadowrun, Lufia II, Final Fantasy V, Live-A-Live, EarthBound, Super Mario RPG, and Terranigma.
- Tetris Attack and Kirby Avalanche are pretty good puzzle games.
- Play Super Dodgeball
- Donkey Kong Country 2 is a beastly game.
- Megaman & Bass, while not the best Megaman game, is a pretty decent entry to the classic series. Give that a shot if you like Classic Megaman.
- Try out Marvelous: Mōhitotsu no Takarajima. It has a mostly complete translation patch (the untranslated stuff doesn't affect the game at all), and is a fun, quirky game.
- Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past is always a good choice

>> No.1126140

As long as you like old video games you belong here. Don't let grumpy old /vr/ commandos tell you otherwise.

Play Rondo of Blood and Super Castlevania IV after, they're great.

>> No.1126153

I'm currently 21. will be 22 in about a little over a week. my first console was a genesis, then i got an NES. I used to go to my grandma's house and we'd play super mario on her NES. not because i wanted to, no no... SHE was a fucking expert. she loved the dragon warrior games especially. she never got 4 though, because of how expensive it is. within the past year, I've gone on a major collecting spree and got it, and bought an extra one for her. I plan on seeing her within a month or two and giving it to her so she can be the.... nes... quadrology? anyway, her skill in mario 3 blew my mind. she knew all the whistle locations, but, FUCK THAT, she can get through the game without that shit. it was so much fun playing games with her when i was younger. I'd like to do it again soon.....

sorry, why the fuck did I just tell you this story?

point is, no, you're not "too young". there's really no such thing as "too young", as long as you have a true passion and dedication to whatever it is, in this case, retro games. I'm heavily into antiques and record collecting, but that shit was WAY before my time. I love 1950's B movies, and again, that's way before my time. there's no such thing as being too young, HOWEVER, there IS being a faggot. so long as you know the classics, know some obscure shit, and stay in the know, you're fine.

>> No.1126161

>>1126017
I'm 35. You're not too young for /vr/. Think of it as techno-archaeology.

>> No.1126189

>>1126058
>no one is too young for VR
>VR

I'll take "Things underage hipsters say" for $1000 Alex

>> No.1126196

>>1126017
No. While I'm here I may as well tell my story. Only retro consoles I ever owned were a Snes junior and Gameboy Color and that's it. All of the retrogaming I do nowadays is through emulators. I'm 20.

>> No.1126226

>>1126017

I remember reading somewhere that if you were born in 1992 or earlier your first console was a Super NES or earlier system.

I'm a 1991er, and I always found this weird, as my first system was a gameboy pocket, along with an N64. Then again, it seemed like all of my friends were playing videogames before me.

>> No.1126230

>>1126226
>>1126196
>>1126017
It's my 21st b-dat for another ... hour and 6 minutes. My first console was a SNES, I remember when my dad would play FF Mystic Quest and Super Ghosts n Ghouls, and he would refer to them as "The easy and hard knight game" respectively. You're not too young, but most because you remember when gaming meant actual challengs and not tenacity in sitting through cg cutscene after cutscene. Hold me, for gaming has gone to shit in our lives.

>> No.1126232

>>1126230
and yes, I'm drunk as shit.

>> No.1126236

>All of the retrogaming I do nowadays is through emulators. I'm 20.

This is what's wrong with /vr/

>> No.1126239

Is it weird that I often use videogames to justify me going "holy shit, you're young!"

Moreso that I was born in 1991, and I'll stop by my old high school to lift and I'll see some kids there and chat with them, and realize "Holy fuck, these kids weren't even born when Mario64 came out, when I was born it was still the 8-bit gen."

>> No.1126240

>>1126236
well saw-ree if the economy is crap and I can't afford to buy orignal snes carts instead of food. What's wrong with /vr/ is people having no appreciation for what game development was like in the 90's, when piracy wasn't even a thing, when the quality of your software determined its sales. not op, but I think people will agree with me

>> No.1126242
File: 1.48 MB, 2592x1936, photo (13).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1126240
>like in the 90's, when piracy wasn't even a thing

My pirated multi-carts beg to differ

>> No.1126262

>>1126242
you know what I mean, when the end user has easy access to the original code, chinese multi-carts weren't huge in the US (not sure about elsewhere), you still had to pay some kind of money for those chinese multi-carts, nowadays you have the entire library of 1-6th generation consoles and the computer games that coexisted alongside them at your fingertips. Not the same kind of piracy

>> No.1126265

>>1126239
>when I was born it was still the 8-bit gen."

The Genesis came out in '89 champ.

>> No.1126280

>>1126239
>to lift
no one on /vr/ lifts, stay pasty and white

>> No.1126285

I wouldn't say so. I'm 19 and I have fond memories of playing an SNES. I was a poorfag for a long time though and couldn't afford any newer consoles.

>> No.1126507

>>1126280
There's more than one poster here who lifts. It's beneficial to keep both mind and body strong to persevere through the kusoge of ages lost.

I don't go to a high school to work out though, that sounds creepy.

>> No.1126510

You're never too young to be a neckbeard.

>> No.1126528

>>1126510
Truer words were never spoken.

>> No.1126561
File: 125 KB, 567x334, no.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1126017
>Am I too young for /vr/?
Fuck you you're never too young for good games.

>> No.1126579

>>1126058
Reading that post made me smile.

But I just started Chrono Trigger (again), OP. I would recommend that, if you haven't already gotten to it.

>> No.1126667

OP here checking back in with the thread I made last night. It's now my birthday today.
>>1126579
I'm actually listening to the CT soundtrack as i'm writing this. CT blows my mind every time I even think about it.

>> No.1126674

>>1126136
>Rockman and Forte
FTFY. It was only released in Japan for the SNES/SF but there was a GBA port released internationally.

>> No.1126680

I'm 19, I always feel too young among people who play retro games... but I grew up playing NES games. My first console was the ridiculous MegaJoy II, which was basically a standalone multicart. Had Super Mario Bros, Adventure Island, Punch-Out!!, a bunch of other stuff. Now I collect old games and stuff, when I can. Got a 2600 and Double Dragon for it... interested to see how that is...
Also, if you haven't played it OP, Donkey Kong Country 3 is one of the best platformers ever.

>> No.1126692

OP, you should play Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for SNES, it is my favorite RPG (besides Diablo 2).

>> No.1126703

>>1126680
>DK3

You mean the first Donkey Kong Country.

>> No.1126706

>>1126240
I don't agree with you. Get a job.

>> No.1126803
File: 4 KB, 90x120, famicom-detective-club-part-2-the-girl-in-back-other-consoles-42370[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Happy Birthday,OP!
http://theisozone.com/downloads/other-consoles/snes/famicom-detective-club-part-2-the-girl-in-back/

It seems like just lately there's been a big influx here of people about your age who are sincerely here to learn about retro games and that's great. Please dilute the trolls and pretentious fucks that were killing our board a couple months ago.