[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 119 KB, 1280x720, IGN-Logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1125769 No.1125769[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Lets go on a Journey to past.
To a time of high quality game reviews. Everyone may know such gems as the Godhand review of Ign already yet there are still many hidden gems in the archives of my game sites and magazines for use to discover.
Lets start with Saga 2 for the PS1

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/02/18/saga-frontier-2

>> No.1125771

>This problem is actually encountered right out of the gate as the game puts the player through about 30 minutes worth of text reading before the first real battle. Instead of creating an awe-inspiring CG or animated intro to help setup the game's plot, SaGa Frontier 2 puts players through a half hour of tedious button pressing to get through the lackluster setup of the game's story.

>> No.1125778

>>1125771
The beginning of the end as we know it...

>> No.1125906

>>1125769

Not a specific review but i remember that in the swedish magazine Datormagazin they used to have an old military guy reviewing all the war games.

This was of course back when it was all hex tiles and stuff so it made more sense than having some colonel play through WoT.

>> No.1126087

>>1125906
That sounds cool.

>> No.1126119
File: 15 KB, 320x237, neverhood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://www.gamespot.com/the-neverhood/reviews/the-neverhood-review-2543926/

>> No.1126941

>>1126087

Yeah it was a different time alright. What kid today would believe that that magazine had several pages of programming each edition?

>> No.1126945

>However, in this case, the main reason that it failed in the U.S. was that the game was a big pile of shite.
>pile of shite
>7.0 it's good

>> No.1126960

>>1126119
>it is hard not to expect a certain level of widespread accessibility for young and old players alike, along the lines of that perennial mega best-seller, Myst.

>accessibility for young and old players along the lines of Myst

I bet he never played Myst.

>> No.1126998

>>1126960

To be fair, "young players" when Myst came out wasn't 16 year old aspies that just want to shoot stuff.

>> No.1127056

>>1126998
That's true but I wouldn't say young meaning 16 year olds.
I think you are mistaken if you think Myst wasn't hard when it came out for anybody. I got Myst when it first came out in 1995 on the Saturn, I was 9 years old and it was one of the hardest games I ever played at the time. I didn't beat it until buying a guide at a bookstore a couple years later.

A mystconception is that the puzzles in Myst aren't hard at all, but that is because if you've already beaten it, you know it already.

>> No.1127254

>>1127056
The thing is: the puzzles in Myst aren't just some shitty minigames, like in Professor Layton.
They are set in the universe itself.

>> No.1127450

After the internet came around it became impossible for a reviewing outlet to be both successful and high quality. As a matter of fact trying to have good reviews is destructive towards your success.

A site get's money and populalrity based on the number of hits. Google and other search engines do no care about the quality of your webpage, only the quantity of them.

Have you ever searched for info on a new game and found the top hits to be gamestop/ign webpages that contain almost no information?

Every time a new game is announced it gets its own personal webpage to generate hits, even if the page will contain no usful information.

This is also why websites love to hammer out tiny articles that contain opinions on meaningless ideas or spew out shallow words that will become worthless in a few months or even a few weeks

Reviewing agencies speed their licking the ass of game companies to get exclusive pictures, videos, or even just a few sentences to attract trafic (usually inexchange for favorable coverage). The reviewing agencies that do this in the greatest quantity get the most traffic and thus crush any competation that does not follow this unrespectable tactic.

The more exclusive content they acquire (always by giving them positive coverage in exchange) and the more TOTAL articles they write up the more hits they get. If they actually spent time to research the game, right a quality essay (quality takes time to compose), etc. They would spend less time generating hits, because the way search engines are constructed quantity beats quality.

If you want this concept explained in more detail read
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/the_videogame_news_racket/

>> No.1127504

>>1127056
>I was 9 years old and it was one of the hardest games I ever played at the time.

I was 13 when Myst came out. It was piss easy and an anti-game.

I bet your 9-year-old self couldn't do long division either, doesn't make that hard.

>> No.1129250

>>1127504
I can't do long division now.

>> No.1129262

>To a time of high quality game reviews

Reminds me of why I didn't like Game Pro as a kid. Seemed like they never met a game they didn't like.

>> No.1129282

>>1127450
>If you want this concept explained in more detail read
>http://insomnia.ac/commentary/the_videogame_news_racket/

I do not agree on what he said on Siliconera.
Not because I'm a fanboy, but because Siliconera isn't a normal videogame site, it's more like a newspaper.
It gives you stuff from Japan you could take yourself but can't because hey, you don't fucking know japanese, and then just posts it in english.

I can respect that.

>> No.1129309

>>1129282
>By Alex Kierkegaard

Stopped reading here.

>> No.1130731

>>1129282
>KIERKEGAARD
LOL MY SIDES

>THE CITY OF YOU

>> No.1130816
File: 8 KB, 546x566, 1314029819767.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1127450
>video games
>art

>baudrillard
>nietzsche
>In this work of absolute genius, after two and a half thousand years of progress the path of philosophy arrives at an end, and the intellect at last draws, one by one, its ultimate conclusions. Apocalyptic, uncompromising and merciless, Orgy of the Will constitutes nothing less than a declaration of war on the so-called "human species".

also just found this
rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_kooks (at bottom of wingnut list) http://icycalmisacriminal.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/icycalm-is-a-criminal/
shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41394&start=30

>> No.1130976

>>1130816
really i dont give a crap about philosophy

I read kierkegaard because he actually has some interesting and insightful things to say. Most of it is pretty well researched and even the claims he is wrong about he provides evidence for.

Its a hell of a lot more interesting than most other video game journalism that consists of little more than hyping up new games, or articles about how video games are too sexiest.

Most modern journalists arn't even fucking informed on what they were talking about. I remember when Lords of Shadow came out there was a 5 page article in game informer saying ridiculous things like "unlike other castlevania games you will not recover your life by whipping candles and finding hearts"

Kierkegaard may have an ego problem but at least he sometimes brings up things I don't know about instead of reading the 10,000th article telling me why super metroid is a great game.

>> No.1131003

>>1126945
Are you fucking illiterate? He was talking about SaGa Frontier 1 in that quote you idiot.

>> No.1131030

>>1130976
Went right over your head, fuckin retard.
Stay on /v/ and keep jacking off to that nutter who fucking sucks at video games.