[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 8 KB, 256x154, lufia2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1122609 No.1122609[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Just started playing.
The puzzles really help break up monotony of the rpg combat. Surprised it didn't become more common in the genre.
Any jrpgs with simaliarly large amount of puzzles?

>> No.1122754

Try the Wild Arms series

>> No.1122773

>>1122754
Too bad Wild Arms ruin it with a way too high encounter rate and slow battles.

>> No.1123120

>>1122773
>Too bad Wild Arms ruin it with a way too high encounter rate
No higher than any other jrpg. Later games let you cancel encounters.
>and slow battles.
If you just auto attack everything

>> No.1123943

>>1122609
I have been in the same boat as you OP. But so far I have found nothing that compares to the enjoyability of Lufia 2 as far as Random Encounter Rates go and the Puzzles. I can find some good games but they have random encounters and you forget where you were going in the dungeons.

>Once you've tasted Chocolate you can no longer eat Shit
Isn't that the saying?

>> No.1123962

>>1123943
Its a great formula.

The dungeons are mazes so navigation is fun (although they are fairly simple mazes)

Puzzles help the pacing with lots of optional puzzles to get extra loot.

Enemies can be avoided if you want to and theres the whole back attack game.

Only real complaint I have is the lack of character building (stat points, skill points etc) although thats a standard problem for jrpgs

>> No.1123989

>>1123962
Yes, they could easily go back to this same game formula and release an updated version with more to do and more stat building and customization options but instead they chose to make a 3d version for the DS and turn it into a fucking emo hack and slash game.

I think I'm gonna boot up my Game+ and try and beat the boss when he first encounters you at a low level and destroys you. I thought that was a neat touch to make Game+ enjoyable.