[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 661 KB, 629x860, grabbing some balls.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1118863 No.1118863[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Last month I bought a Madcatz Brawlstick (with eight face buttons) and modded it with Sanwa parts for the intent of playing fighting games on my PC. Though, I feel like I could get more use out of it.

So /vr/, I have a few questions:

>What games that play best on an arcade stick are worth emulating/playing?
>Which versions of Street Fighter 2 & 3 are the best?
>Any other fighters worth a look?
>What is the best way to play Metal Slug?

Thanks for any recommendations

>> No.1118913
File: 22 KB, 307x424, kage-high.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1118863

The Virtua Fighter series, Samurai Showdown series and the Mortal Kombat series

p.s. none of those grips are correct

>> No.1118942

Just about any SNK game should be played with an arcade stick.

Check out 'Prehistoric Isle in 1930', its a short and fun side scrolling shooter.

>> No.1118959

A lot of classic arcade games are good for using a stick. I have a Street Fighter 4 stick that I use to play Joust for with buddies.

I fucking love Joust though, and I don't think a lot of people do.

>> No.1118965

>>1118863
I would say Street Fighter 3: Double Impact to be the best maybe. Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Street Fighter Alpha 2 are up there as well.

>> No.1118967

what kind of question is this
only arcade games. wtf. why would you force a controller on a game that wasn't meant for that controller? playing a nes game? buy a nes controller, playing a pc engine game? pc engine controller, etc.
for sf2 i don't know but for 3, no one plays anything other than third strike.
just download the full romset of mame and try every fighter ever. i could recommend you tons, you may not like them. so either try them all or look for top 10 arcade fighters on google or something like that.
arcade stick, since arcade is the original platform in which it was released

seriously, there is a tpb torrent with 30gb of mame roms that i have. covers pretty much every essential arcade game ever, so download that and you are set.

>> No.1118969

>>1118965
Also, though not retro, I recommend Guilty Gear XX as it's one of the few fighting games for the PC and is still as solid as it was then with a pretty good community.

>> No.1118974

>>1118967
Then why did they sell arcade sticks for NES or PCE? Why did people use genesis pads for their Ataris? Some systems don't have a default controller layout so you always had different options.
The canonic controller isn't necessary the best one. I can only recommend to try around and see what you prefer. Enjoyment should precede authenticity.

>> No.1119010

You made a good choice. Best value stick on the market.

Even if you don't play STGs, try Espgaluda. It's much easier than the average Cave game and doesn't require much memorization if you're not playing for score.

>> No.1119013

>>1118967
I play all console games with an arcade stick. I only play 3rd and 4th gen console games with no analog controls so it works perfectly.

>> No.1119039

>>1118863
fighting games. shumps. brawlers.
Super Turbo for 2 and Third Strike for 3 (golden rule for fighting games is the last update for each "game" is the best. This is due not so much to the update in question as much as that's what your competition is going to be playing.)
all of em
on an mvs. :D

>> No.1119061

>>1118965
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, surely... Huge difference.

I've only ever played SF3: Third Strike. Why do you prefer second impact?

>> No.1119082
File: 16 KB, 320x240, umeharamochi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1118863
Umehara Mochi, it's pretty much the best way to grab an arcade stick.

>> No.1119098

>>1119061
Er, I said Double Impact when I meant 2nd Impact. (Double Impact was a 2in1 release on the Dreamcast that included SF3 and 2nd Impact).

But to be honest, and I get this question a lot, but I don't know. It just feels different and I like how it feels.

More people do prefer 3rd Strike though and (as far as I know) it's the only SF3 version played competitively still. So, tbh, I'd just go with 3rd Strike.

>> No.1119125
File: 194 KB, 750x606, tg16_turbo_stick[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1118967
>Implying the most desirable controllers for NES and PCE back in the day weren't joysticks.

Gamepads were invented to be inexpensive to produce and keep the retail price of game consoles as low as possible. It was assumed that any serious player would later buy a joystick until the Playstation era or arguably the Super Nintendo might have established the trend. The Super Advantage is an interesting design to ponder the designers' thought process on.

>> No.1119124

I absolutely love playing pac-man with an arcade stick. It's a lot more satisfying than a keyboard or joypad, actually.

>> No.1119131

>>1119082
Debatable. Objectively, one should want to use a grip that requires the least movement from your hand. That grip requires a large motion to move upwards. I can see why some players would prefer it, especially in games where an unintended jump is suicide like MK or classic SF.

In all reality it's a matter of personal preference. Saying "I use this grip because the EVO champ uses it" is even worse than using a character you're uncomfortable with just because he's a top tier character in the tourneys.

I swear sometimes I think The Internet is taking all the joy out of everything.

>> No.1119517

I haven't used a joystick in forever but I used to rest the ball in the palm of my hand, cupping my hand over the top.
>not at all related to your post

>> No.1119641

>>1118863
i hold my joystick with my index finger on the back, middle finger on front, ring finger on back, pinkie on front. i'm fucking weird, but it works.

>> No.1120240

>>1118863
Anything on MAME. Especially motherfucking Windjammers.

Obviously the newest versions, which are Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

The usual series. KoF, Samurai Shodown, the Street Fighter Alpha series, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Last Blade. I could go on though because there are so many fighters out there. Honestly just Google that shit.

Stick? I don't fucking know. Just play it however the fuck you want.

But seriously, if you take anything from this, get some friends. If you don't have friends, make some, and play fucking Windjammers.

>> No.1120274

You might try GGPO, OP. Just grap the tpb package

>> No.1120284

>>1119641
WTF? We need a pic of this ridiculousness.

>> No.1123196

Is there any way to hook up a wii arcade stick to a PC? I mean it's wireless [hooks into wiimote] so I'm assuming there is a way to do it.

It;s the Capcom vs Tatsunoko one. I know you can use it on iPads, but I'm not a macfag.

>> No.1123345

>>1120240
>Windjammers
Not OP, but thank you so much, this game is incredible.

>> No.1123359

>>1119641
This actually sounds like a quality grip.

>> No.1123390

>>1118863
TGM series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo

TGM1 (romname: tgmj) and TGM2 (romname tgm2 or tgm2p for the "enhanced version) work fine on mame

all cave shmups, dodonpachi, ketsui, progear etc.

metal slug series, but you already said that

>> No.1123520
File: 140 KB, 778x584, 035.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1123196
There are Classic Controller to USB adapters. Mayflash has made several of them, but you should avoid the old "dogbone" (ie. controller look-a-like) model. It used to work fine with my Tatsunoko vs Capcom for quite a long time, but now it evetually causes BSoD whe plugged in.

>> No.1124565

>>1123196
Mayflash sells Nunchuk/Classic Controller to USB adapters that can work.

I suppose you could also modify your stick to use a USB cable if you had the know-how

>> No.1124635

>>1123520
>>1124565

What's the response like? Is it 1/1? I'm gonna look into this, since it's a pretty good stick for $50. I'd just like to be able to play more than the 10 or so fighters on the wii. [Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus with the soundtrack for $5 though? Sold!.]