[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 111 KB, 640x480, 36066-Tetris_Attack_(USA)_(En,Ja)-6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1118248 No.1118248[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Let's talk puzzles in video games - actual puzzle games, puzzle platformers, puzzles in games like Resident Evil and Sierra games and Myst, what have you.

I admit I need combat in most of my games, but when exploration is involved, I like the idea of solving puzzles to expand where you can go. There's a lot of fun in trying new inventory items or using a new powerup to go through a tricky room. Solving the actual puzzle can be a pain, though.

>> No.1118271

>>1118248

As a child his HP was more than enough, but now as an adult when playing this

>If only he had more HP

Also, already tried the original panel de pon yet?

>> No.1118272
File: 2.31 MB, 256x224, Tetris Attack Bowser dumb.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1118248
I'm of the opinion that puzzle games of the type in your picture are the only truly good ones. The problem with puzzle games with static, abstract puzzles to solve and nothing else is that they have really low replayability. When you try to play through them again you have to make an effort to forget the solutions you've already arrived at in order to derive any sort of satisfaction from them again. On the other hand I have probably somewhere in the range of 1000 hours clocked across different iterations of Puzzle League and it's still growing.

>> No.1118289

>>1118271
No, not yet. I have played Tetris Attack on SNES and Game Boy, earliest I've gone.

>>1118272
Puzzle League is definitely my favorite, but since I replay games sparingly, puzzles in other games can still challenge me a little because it's been so long that I've forgotten how.

>> No.1118291

>>1118272

I got my TA when I was maybe 10 or 11 and I have since then played it over and over and over and over again, it really never gets boring. Also

>dat Puzzle-mode

The higher stages really are brain crushers... And if you think you got it you get a whole new set of fresh puzzles! Awesome...

>> No.1118293

>>1118291
Eh, I play the new Puzzle modes with each new Puzzle League iteration but I never really come back to them, for the reason I mentioned. My playtime comes mostly from trying to beat my high scores and versus mode.

>> No.1118304

>>1118293

That is clear. Once you beat Puzzle mode the mode is pretty much gone for you becasue the pzzles don't change. I meant for newcomers. Also the surprise that you get a whole new set of puzzles, meaning you are just halway done when you think you got it.

Also I mostly play stage clear mode, that is my favourite.

>> No.1118341
File: 53 KB, 352x500, Solomons-key-box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1118248

I've been playing Solomon's Key lately, since it came out on the 3DS. It's the game that got me into puzzle platformers! And it's hard as all hell! Gotten as far as room 10, but no farther.

>> No.1118373
File: 44 KB, 300x220, magical.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Only one I ever like, because it relies more on fast thinking and reflexes than it does on "recognizing abstract patterns and thinking 10 steps ahead" BS that pretty much every other puzzle game uses.

Anyone know if the recent PC remake was any good? It was on steam and everything.

>> No.1118585

>>1118373
>Anyone know if the recent PC remake was any good?
No it's not...just 11 charachters(and the style is more American-ish cartoony than the original Japanese style), plus 2 from GhostLop, game is unbalanced, attack patterns are ridiculous, the game is absurdly easy, marbles colors are swapped for no reason:
Swords were yellow, now they're red.
Clubs were red, now they're green.
Cups were green, now they're blue.
Stars were blue, now they''re yellow.
Online play is shit:
randomly crashes in general.
If more than 2 players are in and just on of them disconnects or lose connections, the whole match is closed, or crashes.
When it doesnt crash, desyncs happens very often once you play for enough time, with momentary freezes.
It even has some translation errors or glitches in fonts.
Honestly, even with all the patches they released, it sucks. 3 is still the best.

>> No.1118615

>>1118585
Jesus, that bad?
Dodged a bullet there.
What about Magical Drop F? I barely see it being talked about, but I noticed it actually made it into PSN for some reason.

>> No.1118624
File: 20 KB, 406x266, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Favourite puzzle game right here. Also, dat music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMeYLw3coGA

>> No.1118629
File: 183 KB, 640x480, drod.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My favorite puzzle game ever is Deadly Rooms of Death. I made a post about it in the "hipster" thread (>>1106791). If you can beat the whole game without looking any solutions online then you deserve a medal.

Any recommendations for other non-block, non-random puzzle games like Lemmings, Solomon's Key or Super Gussun Oyoyo?

>> No.1118634

>>1118629

Troddlers

dat crossed-music

>> No.1118649

>>1118271
I used to rock at this game as a kid... recently tried playing and i've been getting my ass handed handed to me.

>> No.1118672
File: 14 KB, 320x224, DRMBM_Screenshot.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does Dr. Robotnik's mean bean jelly machine count?
If so, I fucking loved that game. I mean jesus christ, that last level where you battle the doctor himself was EPIC with the music.

Seriously, listen to it...everytime I played his level I knew shit was serious, and just the music alone would make me sweat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hscV8q0zi5g

>> No.1118676

>>1118272
>The problem with puzzle games with static, abstract puzzles to solve and nothing else is that they have really low replayability.
This is a problem I've noticed with a lot of non-arcade puzzle games, especially puzzle platformers. Another major flaw with most action-oriented puzzle games is that they simply aren't very fun to control (Braid is a great example of this). I've been working with a friend to formulate a game idea in which the stages are heavily replayable but contain a number of puzzles. I would think that a mixture of fluid movement and puzzles that can be solved in moments would be a great way to add to a stage's replayability, as the puzzle changes from "how do I do this" to "how do I do this quickly." Other things, like unique challenges (e.g. don't touch any water, don't damage any civilians, etc.), would make the player look at the level they're playing in a different light - and if you had a separate challenge simply for completing all those challenges in one go, well, you'd have a simultaneously difficult and satisfying experience that is separate from the base game.

In other words, making your puzzles somewhat open-ended, multi-layered, and fairly involved, would be a great way to tackle the issue of replayability in your typical puzzle-platformer (or puzzle-whatever else). I don't think an action-puzzler could ever hope to hit quite the level of replayability of Dr. Mario or Panel de Pon, but gosh dangit, I'll try.

>> No.1118957

>>1118676

That sounds interesting, though I know it'd be tough to do. Personally, I think a good middle ground would be something like the ability to use different items to solve different puzzles, and depending on where you are in your run, you can make different solutions and take different routes.

>> No.1119224

>>1118649

How long was the pause? Becasue if long it's understandable, you forgot the skills. I have been playing this game sometimes not often but constantly. That way the level kept around the same.

>> No.1119819

So what's your favorite version of your favorite puzzle game?

My favorite version of Panel de Pon isn't retro (Planet Puzzle League) but Tetris Attack for SNES is my second place winner.

>> No.1119831

>>1118615
Even tho MDF changes completely the graphics(from the marble not having the usual symbols but simple shapes being up-ward and downward triengles, and same for Y shaped symbol) to the charachter style(still japanese style, but more serious design and less cartoony), the game being way easier than the previous ones(long chains are easy as they are pretty obvious without too much thinking), it's decent...enjoyable if you look for a game to play without thinking too much.
It has a story mode involving some adventure/rpg style, but it's all in japanese so i never played that.

>> No.1119839
File: 47 KB, 640x442, Tetrisphere.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1119819
Yeah, it's Planet Puzzle League for me too. But if we have to be retro I'll say Tetrisphere instead. Shame there's only one version.

>> No.1119847

>>1118624

Mah nigga. My brother and I would play the shit out of this, then my mother saw it and started and became a lesser deity at it.

She still plays it on my old snes which I left them when I left out on my own.

>> No.1119925

>>1119839

My favorite version of retro Tetris is Tetris on Win 3.1

>> No.1120272
File: 97 KB, 640x448, BakuBaku.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone here played Baku Baku?
Hard as fuck Sega falling blocks game where you need to feed animals. I could never get past stage 5 or 6.

>> No.1120281
File: 51 KB, 415x271, shsamp.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Time for some hard mode - who's played this game?

>> No.1120369
File: 15 KB, 296x207, solomon`s key 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1118629
Babel no Tou,
Wrecking Crew
Kickle Cubicle
Adventures of Lolo
Mario & Wario
Catrap
The Lost Vikings
Sutte Hakkun

Also, you should try out the sequel to Solomon's Key, Fire 'n Ice. Monster Rancher Explorer on the GBC is basically SK with well... Monster Rancher characters.

>> No.1120395

>>1120272

I played that on my Game Gear. I don't remember where I got it. Actually, I don't remember where or when I got my Game Gear, either. Still have it, though.

Anyway, Baku Baku was fucking brutal. I never beat it as a child and thus I never became a man.

>> No.1120878
File: 6 KB, 520x397, Chip's_Challenge.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can't forgot one of my favorite puzzle games of all time!