[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 88 KB, 640x400, ps01[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1109197 No.1109197[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey /vr/, I want to play Powerslave/Exhumed, but I want the best possible version I can somehow play on a PC. Which way would that be?

>> No.1109205

bumpan since /vr/ seems p. busy

>> No.1109213

I just play the dos version

>> No.1109215

If i recall right powerslave is on ps1 and saturn. The ps1 version is superior.

>> No.1109218

>>1109213
The DOS version was the worst one, wasn't it?

>> No.1109219

Using dosbox is your only solution. What do you mean best possible version? AFAIK there is only one.

>>1109215
The console version, while sharing similar name, theme, as well as some enemies weapons and textures; are whole different games.

>> No.1109220

>>1109215
Does it run well in a PS1 emu?

>> No.1109224

>>1109218
It's a different game. I like both the DOS games and the console games for different reasons.

It depends what you're looking for. The DOS game is your typical mid 90's shooter (but I love it for its level design). The console games are different, a little more adventure oriented, with a world/hub map system, having to go back to previous levels with powersups to unlock new paths etc. For console FPS they play really well though, it's smooth and the controls are great

>> No.1109228

>>1109220
I have never tried emulated it.

>> No.1109258

>>1109215
>If i recall right powerslave is on ps1 and saturn. The ps1 version is superior.

Actually the Saturn version is the superior one. Compared to the other games released at the time its kind of like a proto-Metroid Prime, and has some pretty kick-ass light-sourcing effects.

The Playstation version while still pretty good is closer to being just another generic Doom clone. Runs at a higher resolution than the Saturn version but lacks some of the nice graphical effects.

The PC version is literally a generic Doom clone. Not too special.

Considering Saturn emulation is not very good, the best version available to you on PC may have to indeed be the PSX version though it lacks that special element that makes the Saturn version so good.

>> No.1109583

Strange game - part fantastic part shit.
As already stated the Saturn version seems to be the best - thanks to Lobotomy.
I would play it with a guide if you're keen on the dolls.

>> No.1109602

>>1109258
You're getting confused here.

The PSX and Saturn versions are the same game. The only differences are : the scorpion enemy looks differently, and iirc a couple of levels are unique to each version (and some small differences within other levels too but nothing major).

Only the PC version is the "Doom clone", though if you ask me, one with fantastic level design.

It is worth noting that the Saturn version uses the same 3D engine as the Saturn port of Duke3D (which contrary to Duke3D on PC, is in full3d with dynamic lighting). Both made by Lobotomy software.

>> No.1110491

>>1109197

The consoles version, like Hexen but instead of a Hub World you got a map.

Soundtrack was god tier, it still ring on my head, that and the enemies grunts they were very characteristic also.

PC version Exhumed was more of a Egyptian Doom.

>> No.1110495

>>1110491
>Soundtrack was god tier,

I can cosign this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwFYlTSSlO8

Powerslave is one of my favorite PSX games. It's a lot of fun and holds up well. Tons of great design choices throughout, with the exception of the overabundance of jumping portions.

>> No.1112930

>>1110495
usually, any jump section in FPS games is bad by definition, but I thought they were actually well made in powerslave. Controls are great which helps