[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 70 KB, 250x312, gknight.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1108091 No.1108091[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Do ya bustas point and click adventure?

Pic related, it might be my favorite retro tied with Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

>> No.1108093

>>1108091
"retro" as in retro point and click. my bees.

>> No.1108219

rex nebular and the cosmic gender bender

>> No.1108245

>>1108091
I liked Beast Within better. Probably my favorite game of all time. Still loved the original a whole lot. Couldn't stand the third game.

>> No.1108250
File: 146 KB, 256x300, Nightlong_-_Union_City_Conspiracy_Coverart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've played some shit.

Actually, Nightlong was pretty lousy and committed multitude of adventure gaming sins such as pixel hunts, plot sensitive context items, nonsensical NPC interactions, and other things. I won't blame you if you use a guide to bypass that egregious seven variable guess and check problem to get the code to beat the game.

>> No.1108254

>>1108250
One of the upsides of this game was the great style and atmosphere it had. Still doesn't make up for the mess of the execution.

>> No.1108273

Try and find Darkseed for the Amiga. Creepy as fuck and excellent.

>> No.1108302

>>1108091
>>1108245
I found out recently that Tim Curry did the voice for the 1st and 3rd Gabriel Knight. I don't know who did the second one though since it was FMV

>> No.1108308

>>1108302
Actually, the first game had quite a few Hollywood actors. Mark Hamill, Leah Remini and Michael Dorn were in it as well.

>> No.1108317

I don't see how people rave about Sanitarium. I mean, I thought it was pretty enjoyable, but it's kind of overblown for what it is.

Also can we get some Tex Murphy up in this bitch?

>> No.1108336

>>1108317
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04qxVNDao4c

>> No.1110037

Al Lowe's Leisure Suit Larry series are point and click classics. Even screwing up in those games usually got a laugh or two.

>>1108317
Sanitarium had a great atmosphere without having too many absurd puzzles or committing any more adventure game sins.

>> No.1110045

>>1110037
>Sanitarium had a great atmosphere

I thought that when I first started the game. Then it became really ridiculous really fast and took me out of the game. The more I played it the less serious I could take it. With each new level it just became more absurd.

Usually I don't mind stuff that's really out there. It's just that the tone made such a huge shift from the start of the game it was jarring.

I didn't really like any of the puzzles either. Only one really stuck out to me and it was finding the kid they buried in hide and seek.

>> No.1110546

>>1108091
>Gabriel Knight

I just finished Beast Within a couple of days ago without any guide*. Played it since I was a kid, you most likely don't like it because of the FMV but I actually thought it was good.

The third game looks horribly though.

*Ok, a couple a years ago I had to check a guide for 1 thing. The tape splicing. But only because I didn't even know you could do it.

>> No.1110560
File: 18 KB, 108x180, 1378967850967.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1108091

Been playing IHNMBIMS but it keeps crashing dosbox after the part you get inside AM.

Time to screw with settings.

>> No.1110613

>>1110546
Yeah, skip 3. The plot is basically the DaVinci Code. I remembered they made a big deal out of Gabriel going up against vampires, but the "vampires" are only in the game for about two minutes in total (maybe less). There's an incredibly retarded puzzle that involves making a fake mustache that will make you wonder what in the world Jane Jensen was thinking. Tim Curry is back, but you can tell his heart's not in it. And I couldn't take the game seriously with the graphics looking the way they did, even back then.

>> No.1110632

>>1110613
The game is ugly, but it makes great use of 3D, though the camera controls can be confusing at first. And apart from the goofy moustache puzzle and a few optional things you can do, it has the best puzzles in the whole series. It's also one of the few games that makes you feel like you're actually doing detective work, taking fingerprints, making notes, analyzing evidence and searching through sydney's database.
I'm not sure how you can or can't tell that Curry's "heart isn't in it". His accent is less over the top than in the first game, but that's about it.
But yeah, I wouldn't recommend skipping the game. In terms of puzzles and the general level of interactivity it's pretty much unbeatable and a few steps above even Grim Fandango and Longest Journey.

>> No.1110636

>>1110632
Okay, Sydney is the ONLY good thing in it. I'll admit that I had a lot of fun solving puzzles with it. But I stand by everything else I said.

>> No.1110825

>>1110560

Play it through Scumm. That's what I did and it worked fine.

>> No.1110831

I am like ADDICTED to the classic LucasArts adventures. Also played some Sierra titles back then but the whole game mechanic that you can die so easly annoyed me.

Are there some good adventures out where you can solve puzzles in different ways? I like those ones.

>> No.1110832

>>1110560
Yeah use ScummVM buddy. It works just fine that way.

>> No.1110957

First P&C game I ever played was pre-P&C actually.
Friend of mine had Larry and King's Quest on his Dad's Amiga pc.

This was back when you actually had to type out commands like "Walk to Tree", "Look at Apple", "Pick up Apple"
Still so much fun though. Stayed up all night playin through Larry.

Give a shout to The Adventures of Willy Beamish, the first pc game on a CD that I ever had.

>> No.1111869

>>1110831
A lot of point and clicks back in the day really only had one way of doing things.

Save early, save often. Early adventure games do not forgive.