[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 12 KB, 440x330, vg.consoles.01.lg_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1107620 No.1107620[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So, I found one of these bad-boys for cheap and I'm considering buying it. GC-compatible model, GC-pad ports and stuff, pretty unused and unhacked, with some VC titles including Mario Kart 64 and OOT. Includes one Classic Controller.
Is it a nice buy for retro gaming and the occasional non-retro? What would be a nice way of setting it up for retro? Any experiences with Wii emulation, guys? I feel it looks like a solid emulation device. Every discussion appreciated.

>> No.1107698

Yeah it's good.

>> No.1107706

It's breddy gud for emulation up to the SNES. N64 emulation sucks on it besides the VC titles, though, so don't expect to play Banjo on it or whatever.

>> No.1107712

use google to find a guide to hack it. there are tons of things you can do with

>> No.1107723

download letterbomb, and follow the instructions. afaik, letterbomb lets you hack the wii without a game ( i used the original twilight princess hack)
i only have emulated NES, SNES, GB, and N64.
they are all good emulators except for N64 like >>1107706 said. sometimes the emulators fuck up if you mess with game speed settings.

there are also tons of nearly useless novelty apps, and some apps that are worth a damn, like priiloader.

wiibrew org/wiki/Main_Page

>> No.1107724

Can play quite nearly every 2D system perfectly except for Saturn (this would include arcade boards like CPS2 and Neo-Geo) and can do 240p as well. It is a very very nice buy for retro gaming

>> No.1107730

>Is it a nice buy for retro gaming
Yes
>and the occasional non-retro?
Er, for gamecube games you should definitely have one

>> No.1108079

>>1107620

A good buy, mate.

It can emulate almost everything flawlessly. The N64 emulation is lacking but the VC and the Injected wads compensate for that. It can emulate well most PS1 2D games , and DS emulation is on starting stages.

Even better, with Dios Mios you can run almost every single Game Cube flawlessly, and the hidden gems on the Wii's great library are definitely a plus, if you don't mind the graphics (but if you're on /vr/, you must have the superior taste).

An excellent buy overall. Just pimp that bad boy to your tastes.

>> No.1108089

GET THE COMPONENT CABLES

>> No.1108789

>>1108079

Dios-mios won't work for me, always crashes on the error 0 checksum. Now I can't play any game cube games because it always wants to use Dios mios. And I've tried every version that has come out for it with like 3 launchers.

>> No.1109097

>>1108789

Dios Mios only works if:

1) You're using the apropiate version, Lite for SD and Dios Mios for USB. There are people that actually forget this part

2) Your SD/HDD is correctly formatted, FAT32 in clusters of 32KB.

3) Your games are converted via DMLToolbox. DM can't run raw ISOs.

4) Your HDD is compatible. There are some , mainly the ones who have USB 3.0, who sadly can't run it no matter what.

>> No.1109231

>>1107620
I think it would be a good buy, OP. It's probably the easiest console to mod and has plenty of options for emulation, and, great for home emulation if you don't have a PC. I would also look into a cheap PSP for on-the-go emulation.

And, if you plan to be 'honest' about it, the Virtual Console store has plenty to choose from.

Also, its library does has some gems, despite it being bombarded with more shovelware than the PS2. And it's great if you don't have a Gamecube anymore. But that's not retro.

>> No.1109273

Well

It's got most of the bullet points covered

>native resolution output
>decent enough controllers with -extremely- low input delay
>portable
>fairly accurate emulators

Go for it. If you can manage to find a S-video or Component cable and connect it to a CRT via those methods you'll see your games looking just about the best you'll ever see them. The video output from a real RGB modded SNES/megadrive/neo isn't as good as the component video output from the Wii.

And if you could use RGB with your Wii it'll be truly DAMN.

>> No.1110330

>>1109273
Got lost at RGB and Component, lel. Isn't Component superior that RGB? I always get lost at these kind of discussions.

>> No.1110390

>>1107730

Oh come on, the Wii is so underrated. I can list at least 30 games on it that are well worth playing.

>> No.1110412

>>1110390
It's also decidedly not retro, unless PS2, Dreamcast, and X-Box games are fair game on /vr/ now.

>> No.1110702

To stay on topic with decidedly retro style games, get Muramasa: The Demon Blade, and Sin & Punishment. (the N64 original is on Virtual Console, the sequel "Star Successor" was made for the Wii due to sheer demand.)

>> No.1110716
File: 121 KB, 640x743, 1135408995-00[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1107620
But it just so you can emulate Kirby's Tilt 'n Tumble with the original controls. That game is fun as hell, and works impossibly well on the Wii.

>> No.1111206

I can't get Marvel vs. Capcom to work on either MAME or RetroArch for Wii. Driving me nuts and I can't figure it out.

>> No.1111220

>>1110702

>decidedly retro style games
>Muramasa

>> No.1111609

>>1107620

If you get it, get Sin and Punishment 2, really great retro-esque shooter.

>> No.1111613

The wii is awesome. It's cheap, stupid easy to hack, the classic controller is great for retro games, and it's a piece of cake to pirate wii and GC games for it.

>> No.1111628

What game should i play /vr/?
I also just got a wii. I already hacked it but no gamecube part yet (i can't play gamecube with nunchuck right?)

>> No.1111712

>>1107620
This thing plays pretty much every game made before the PS360.

softmod it. MAME. VC titles. Gamcube, etc.

I got a Wii like 3 or 4 years ago. Played for a few months then stopped. Last December, I finally got around to soft modding it, it's been the best gaming value ever.

If you can't find VC titles, look for the wads online.

>> No.1111851

>>1111712
>look for the wads online

Just be sure to install something like PriiLoader.

So if you download a bad wad it wont banner brick your shit.