[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 100 KB, 280x383, Super_Mario_Bros._box.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1104925 No.1104925[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I think this is the best Super Mario. It's the most fast-paced. You can mostly hold down the dash button the entire time, except when you have to be very precise. And it's so fun to avoid obstacles, jump on blocks, etc.

The other guys always felt kind of slow to me. Mario 3 is a close-second, but it just has too many slow segments, where you kind of have to wait before moving on. Moving platforms, a good amount of auto-scrolling levels, including the really boring airships

Mario World is still fun but even worse in this regard. It kind of feels like, with half the levels you have to wait for something; a moving platform in lava, the level to scroll, etc.

Thoughts? What is your favorite Super Mario and why? And what do you think about Mario and the pace of its levels? Is it important to you?

>> No.1104938

SMB will always be the best and an untouchable god tier game. I think my favourite of everything else is SMB3 though, it came close to capturing the magic of the original and each of its worlds had tons of personality. Some of the later levels were annoying as fuck but they were part of the challenege

>> No.1104953

I always have a hard time picking a favorite. I'd say I've probably played World and 2 the most, though.

>> No.1104956

1 > 2 > 3

>> No.1104972

Lost Levels is the true champion.

>> No.1104991

1>World>3>World2>2

>> No.1104996

>>1104925

For me I would say World>3>1>2. I love Yoshi's Island but I consider it more of a spinoff.

>> No.1105026
File: 412 KB, 855x642, Super_Mario_Bros__3_Airship_by_LazyBum36.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Great to see someone recognizing the incredible gameplay of Super Mario Bros, instead of only its influence in the gaming industry. SMB was indeed revolutionary, but it was also a killer game, too! A definite 10/10.

My favorite Mario game is Super Mario 3 for many reasons—the variety, the challenge, the different worlds, etc.

You're right about Super Mario World being slow. I always viewed World as a Mario wannabe game. It felt different from the NES games. It was too slow, boring and easy.

>> No.1105050

I love the Block like Jump physics, that's the only 2d Mario game were the force of gravity cant be broken.

>> No.1105059

As far as I'm concerned, 3 = W > 1 > 2, with all of them being absolutely outstanding. I played them in order.

>> No.1105067

>>1105026
>Super Mario World is slow, boring and easy
http://youtu.be/7R6_Chr2vro?t=12s

>> No.1105081

>>1105026
That's because the SNES was, literally, a slow and boring NES. Many games were easier than NES games also, mostly due to how shit tier the CPU was, and how too many objects onscreen would send you to bullet time and avoid them all. Likewise, they made games have fewer enemies onscreen to prevent that from happening.

Funny that Recca, a game that uses a 1.79 MHz 6502 from 1983, is faster and has less slowdown than most shooters on a 3.58 65816 from 1990.

>> No.1105082

I love all of the old ones. 1, 2 (original), 2 (SMBUSA), 3 AND world.

I know I always get shit for this, but I just wish they had stopped there and SM64 would have never been made or made at least differently. I was so disappointed in it because I hated the controls and camera so fucking much.

How I wish 64 was something like New SMB.

>> No.1105091

Super Mario Bros. has perfect game-play, level design, and re-playablilty . even with all of it's sequels, the original stands the test of time and is still a 10/10. I said this in a thread a couple of months ago and got hammered for it but I'll say it again; "I don't know how someone could consider themselves a retro gamer if they haven't beaten SMB at least once."

>> No.1105097

>>1105091

I disagree with the first part of your statement, but seriously? People got pissy at that second part? Fuck them!

>> No.1105119

Agreed with every word, OP.

>> No.1105118

I think Super Mario Bros. 3 has superior controls but doesn't take advantage. As you said, too many slow levels. And the levels it does have are often too short. Still, the game is GREAT, but I feel like it's often designed against itself.

>> No.1105121

can we all agree that the water levels in super mario are a flaw? does anyone actually enjoy playing them? they take the best parts of mario - the controls, jumping, speed - and just get rid of them. the swimming controls arent anything special and the levels aren't that fun

the only exception is using the frog suit in mario 3...why not just have that automatically for every water level? would have been fun.

>> No.1105132

>>1105082
I liked 64. The camera was the only thing wrong with it.

>> No.1105135

3 is the best. It's easy as shit, unfortunately.

>> No.1105136

>>1105097
Well, you don't have to have beaten SMB to be a retro gamer. There were games before the NES.
>I agree with the first part of his statement

>> No.1105245

>>1105135

What's funny is that I thought 3 was really hard at first. But since I've played it a lot it feels ridiculously easy.

>> No.1105346

>>1105121
I don't mind the water levels in 3 and I actually really like them in World. They're pretty lame in the original though, yeah.

>> No.1105382

>>1105132
>The camera was the only thing wrong with it.

But what a thing it was...

I still remember that magical first time the camera switched angles and without me moving my thumb at all, suddenly moving right wasn't right anymore and Mario abruptly changed direction and suicided off a ledge. Good times.

>> No.1105631

>>1105245

It's like that for all of them. You play and play and play and it's such a bitch, but once you beat it once it stops being much of a challenge.

>> No.1105798

My favorite is 3, and it might be mainly for nostalgia reasons. I'm going to tell a little story that this thread made me think of.

My sister was an 80s child. She was born in 1980 and I in 1990. My family was fairly poor and the NES was my sister's. 3 was the game we played the most when I was old enough to start gaming. My sister and I learned all the nooks and crannies and when something was too difficult for me she would help me. We had that NES for years, and I didn't get a SNES till a few years after Donkey Kong Country 2 came out. I think they packaged the console and the game into a bundle, not sure. Me and my sister took it to heart. We played it almost every day after school. I loved the absolute shit out of it. Then we moved onto Yoshi's Island with a similar story. We were poor like I said so we didn't play games in order.

My sister was getting into her teens by then. She was too cool for her much younger little brother. She played games with me less and less often. At some point I wanted to get Super Mario World just to play it with my sister like we used to with 3. I remember standing in the video games area at walmart asking my mom if I could get it to play with my sister. I bring it home to see my sister with her first boyfriend she had. I asked if she wanted to play. "Sometime". Next week. "Sometime." Weeks go by, months, etc.

So Super Mario World just sat there, and my mom, knowing I was saving SMW for playing with my sister, picked up another game to play by myself - Super Metroid.

And I got lost in the depths Zebes alone.

To this day I have never played Super Mario World.

>> No.1105893

>>1105798

Aww. Damn. That's so sad. :(

>> No.1105928

>>1105059
I agree with this.

SMB was buckets of fun and still had that challenge that most games don't have. Like you actually gave a shit about coins since a 1up was fucking amazing.

Still, SMW is usually my favorite.

>> No.1105938

>>1105382

Oh man...

Oh man, I remember playing Mario 64 for the first time. It took me so long to figure out how to move without suicide, but once I did it was like second nature...

One of my friends came over and had beaten the game was watching me play and asked, "Dude, how the fuck do you know where to go? I have to keep moving the camera..."

Apparently, I was the only person I knew that learned to play the game by using the in-game camera.

>> No.1105948

Galaxy. But that's not retro.

It has to be World just because the controls are better, you can backtrack to discover new levels, it's just fun in general.

>> No.1105980

>duplicate levels BUT THEY'RE DIFFERENT LOOK IT IS NIGHT AND WINTER
>duplicate bosses
>Bosses can be insta-killed by simply running under them
>Warp zones to finish the game in easy mode

Enjoy your padded shovelware

>> No.1105984

>>1105980
>Bosses can be inst-killed by SIMPLY running under them

You've never played Super Mario Bros have you?

>> No.1105996

>>1105984
but its true.
If you reach a boss with a mushroom you can just run forward, get hit, and take the axe with your invunability time

>>1105980
the levels have different enemy placment and platforms, thats what matters not hte backgrounds

bosses are not big part of smb you spend like 8 seconds on each one. thats also why you can beat them so easily

warps were a sort of cheat code to continue the game, this was a very common technique before saving became the norm. Many games had level selects (usually accessed by push butten codes) so you could resume from later.

>> No.1105998

>>1105996
>IF you reach a boss with a mushroom

>Implying reaching boss with Mushroom is always easy

>> No.1106002

>>1105998
no its not

its actually fairly strategic and a good design choice

so you reach boweser with a mushroom. Now you can gurantee your win by giving up your power up and taxing the axe

or you can try to run under him and keep your mushroom but if you fuck up you worst off than just running straight forward

>> No.1106072
File: 63 KB, 494x453, reggieisready.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1104925
>It's the most fast-paced.

FUN FACT : the PAL version runs actually about 10% faster than the original and NTSC-U versions ! It's a lot more fun that way too imo. Try it! (Finding a rom of the PAL version is actually slightly harder though)

>> No.1106116

>>1106002
If you reach Bowser with a mushroom, you've already won. The optimal strategy is to -try- to dodge him, but you still win even if you fuck it up. How is that good design?

>> No.1106120

>>1106116

How is it not?

>> No.1106174

>>1106120
You're asking how a boss fight that's impossible to lose is bad game design?

Seriously?

>> No.1106194

>>1105026
>I always viewed World as a Mario wannabe game. It felt different from the NES games. It was too slow, boring and easy.

Maybe, but it has definitely the best controls. I feel I am in full control over Mario in World, but not that much control over Mario in SMB3

>> No.1106198

>>1106174

It's not a traditional boss fight, it's more like another obstacle you have to pass. And, as with anything that you take damage from in the game, if you have the mushroom, you can take a hit and still keep going. If you want to consider it a boss fight, you should also take into consideration the flames he starts shooting at you long before you reach him, which means it's certainly not impossible to lose.

>> No.1106330

>>1106174
The challenge is really getting there with the mushroom though isn't it?

>> No.1106521

I dont get why everyone complains about the camera in 64. I never had much of a problem with it

>> No.1106527

>>1106521
There's precisely one instance where the camera genuinely screws up - near the top of the mountain in tiny huge island.

Everything else is overblown. The camera's not great, but it's not a gamebreaker.

>> No.1106532

>>1106194
SMB3 on All-Stars is my favorite Mario game.

>> No.1106619

>>1105091
What if you just don't really like Mario? I grew up with a SNES and Super Mario All-Stars, but you know what I beat first?

Contra 3 and Donkey Kong Country 2, and then Street Fighter II.

You can definitely be a fan of retro gaming and not enjoy Mario enough to play through it all of the way. Even now I haven't come back to it because of the SNES' great library. I'd rather play other games.

That said, favourite Mario game was Lost Levels. I just liked the level designs the most.

>> No.1106740

>>1106072
I thought only the music was sped up in the PAL version.

Oddly enough, recently a friend of mine bought a copy of SMB and it was actually slower than the original NTSC version, let alone the PAL version. I think it's an initial copy of SMB, and a second version was released shortly afterwards.

>> No.1106764

>>1106619

I wish I could play Lost Levels on the FDS. It's just not the same on All-Stars.

>> No.1106810

>>1106740
Maybe it depends on the version (duck hunt etc) but I know for a fact that the original release of SMB1 runs 9% faster

>> No.1107175

>>1106764

Can't you? Can you get a SMB2 Japan rom for Nestopia?

Or will they all be shitty hacks?

>> No.1107547

>>1106521
I didn't think it was bad, but when I played through SM64 last month again, I discovered that it is pretty bad. I understand though, as this was Nintendo's first 3D game, but compared to today's standard, it's pretty bad.

>> No.1107642

>>1107175

i looked it up and apparently nestopia can play famicom roms...

can anyone help me out? when i search on google for super mario bros 2, i either get the USA one or a japannse one that doesnt seem to work on nestopia. is there anything i have to do to nestopia, to make it work?

>> No.1107650

>>1107642
well I'm not sure if the FDS games are 'roms' exactly like the standard Famicom/NES cartridges. I know you can easily load any JP famicom game that isn't FDS through Nestopia. try looking up famicom disk system emulation or something

>> No.1108848

People often shits on SMB2 but I liked it. They tried something new and it was quite the challange.

For me its something like 3>4>2>1

>> No.1109496

>>1104925

Sounds almost like you'd prefer Sonic the Hedgehog over Mario.

>>1104996

>I love Yoshi's Island but I consider it more of a spinoff.

I tend to agree. I love the game to death, and I can fully accept that it's in the same line of continuity, but it's hard to call it a Super Mario World sequel when Mario himself isn't even the protagonist.