[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 28 KB, 768x432, 1639979229203.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10958124 No.10958124[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I fucking love videogame lads.
Apart from "fun", what are the reasons you play/invest in games?
I've been disabled for the last 2 years, and will be for another couple of months.

Purchased some consoles once I realized I was going to be home bound for a while, and modded them. Having full access to libraries while having my friends over was, and still is my way to bond while I'm still in a quite immobile state.
It's a great escape for me, because Lord knows I'm tired of staring at the ceiling.
Very much reminds me of childhood times, passing the ps1 controller around while playing Hercules/that x-men vs game. Having that sort of escapism as a coping mechanism allowed me to stay away from worse vices, but also make some beautiful memories socially.

>> No.10958132

>>10958124
I just watch streams. I'm not sure i have any fun playing games. Most of the time they're too hard for me and I just don't want to play

>> No.10958146

>>10958124
they are engaging, some are relaxing, some are exciting, some are interesting, some are challenging. With games there's a lot of options for wanting. Not something you can have with other forms of entertainment

>> No.10958170

>>10958146
i'd disagree with you there - being a music and film buff as well, I can very much attest to the variety of enjoynment factors or genres being just as numerous, if not moreso (considering games are much newer as an artform/entertainment canvas)

where I find the difference to lie is within the ways that we enjoy them

i can very much still enjoy the "consumption" of a videogame by watching my buddy play, or play it myself
that doesn't apply to movies, as my enjoynment is only limited to watching without actual control over the material

>> No.10958175

>>10958170
enjoyment*
it's been a long day, sorry :)

>> No.10958228

>>10958170
>>10958175
I think I might have said it wrong, what I meant is that games are very different from all the other forms of entertainment because of one crucial thing, interactivity, interactivity actually makes you be more engaged and immersed, it's the biggest strength of the medium. Anyone can read a book, watch a film, listen to music, but games are an active thing, it can keep you from getting further by it's design, the others don't. in that way it's very dynamic and alive and while the other forms might be engaging and immersive, they will never be as immersive as video games could be.

>> No.10958231

i'm 38, last relationship was at 26, decent job and try to eat healthy and take care of my mom, other than that vidya is the only thing that gives me enjoyment in life

>> No.10958541

because I’m hopelessly addicted and no other hobby I pick up is satisfying anymore

>> No.10958676

>>10958124
If I'm being totally honest, I mostly collect and play retro games as an extension of my ABDL fetish.

>> No.10959916

>>10958124
Aside from the fun factor, I also just really appreciate the craft. I don't know much about code, but it's enjoyable to analyse how a game is designed.

>> No.10959931

>>10958228
yeah, i agree there
i very much tried to enjoy movies and books by myself, but they don't do as well of a job in sending me to a faraway place, which is exactly what i need

>>10958231
perhaps a lucky lady in the future man, you never know
even in my current state girls very much give me the time of day
looks matter obviously, but being interesting unfortunately and fortunately play a big factor, because ladies often lead boring lives

>>10958676
i have no words my man

>>10959916
associated reason - getting into all this software and hardware modding for old consoles is making me wanna pick up courses on circuits (and basic physics)
i will do in the near future

>> No.10959989

i'm one of those mentally ill millenial types unfortunately. finally accepted that and got meds for anxiety. i've found that vidya is a good way to escape and be happy instead of worried. it brings me joy, that's about it.