[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 36 KB, 430x320, MK2 logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1092456 No.1092456[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

An arcade opened near my house that features nothing but glorious retro vidya and they're holding a Mortal Kombat 2 tourney soon. I've played a bit of MK2, but as a scrub player I'd like to hear any tips, tricks, or stories about the game.

Are there some basic general strategies that I should master before moving on to specific character movesets? Are any of the characters particularly harder or easier to get the hang of? Got any nostalgia that you'd like to share?

>> No.1092464

>>1092456

Scorpion is great. On Par with subzero Baraka is practically cheap, but can be neutered by a skilled player. Johnny Cage is also quite useful.

The only shit character is Kung Lao since his jump is so fucking slow.

Mortal Kombat in general has very little difference between characters. It all pretty much comes down to which special moves you find more useful. The rest are just very slight changes in the jump angle, reach and so on.

In Virtua Fighter, characters are so different they might as well come from different games. Here... not so much.

>> No.1092471

>>1092464
What makes Scorpion and Baraka so great? I'm assuming Sub-Zero is considered cheap because his freeze allows you to set up a combo more easily?

>> No.1092473

Kitana has a combo you can pull with fan lift, then jump kick, then, while they are still in the air, hit them with the fan throw.

>> No.1092518

If you want to be cheap, you can cheese your way to easy victories with Lu Kang and his quick flying kicks that can keep an opponent pinned down the whole match

>> No.1092540 [DELETED] 

>>1092464
Kung Lao a shit character? I'm not quite I would take this man's advice OP.

>> No.1092550
File: 35 KB, 276x316, Mileenamk2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kung Lao a shit character? I'm not quite sure I would take this guy's advice OP.

Mileena gets my vote for number 1. Strong uppercut and fast.

>> No.1092681

Mortal Kombat is so badly desigend I wouldn't be surprised if there was some easy to pull of combo that take away 50+% of the health bar

>> No.1092696

>>1092681
V straight up has listed combos that can do 75% of their health if they are up against a wall.

>> No.1092706

Learn to Mileena and Kitana.

Female ninjas have some pretty good normal moves, most notably the uppercut. Mileena is pretty damn versatile and can cockblock most attempts to reach her by judicious use of her Sai Throw.

Jax is a solid character as well.

Don't forget the most mighty technique of all - Liu Kang's Front Toe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEkirtxb8M

>> No.1092726

>>1092706
Same poster, also wanting to note that Kitana has a pretty damn dumb stunlock combo available to her though people can intercept and punish it if you just try to start it - but if you manage to connect the Fan Lift, preferrably comboing it with some move (anti-air High Punch for instance) it's devastating.

I wouldn't try playing the male ninjas, their moves aren't much to write home about. Scorpion is pretty straightforward and can be annoying to deal with but all of his moves if blocked are just so easily punishable. Same for Sub-Zero; Reptile has it the worst by far.

Also a note about Mileena, her Sai Throw is usable in air and there's no way to block in the air so you should have the initiative in the air if you just read your opponent well. Abuse the Sai Throw mostly, it's her best tool.

Otherwise MK2 isn't nearly as broken as MK3 -- I remember winning a Sega Genesis MK3 tournament (nothing big though) by just picking Kabal who has easy combos to perform and a ridiculous stun.

Also Kung Lao isn't a bad character.

>> No.1092731

>>1092456
I remember playing this?

Does this one have that lighting guy?

>> No.1092732

>>1092706
Lame video. Guy shit talks the entire time and then gets mad when the opponent figures out how to get around his spam move and beats him. Then he doesn't show the entire third fight. Probably lost that one too.

>> No.1092741

>>1092731
All of them have Raiden

>> No.1092746

>>1092732
They're quite obviously having fun screwing around with people
Of course his tactic is counterable

>> No.1092770

Shang Tsung fireball juggles are pretty devastating.

Also, you lucky motherfucker... Every arcade i go to these days has shitty new games.

>> No.1092893

Reptile, force ball, spit, roundhouse if they jump at you...rinse , repeat...

>> No.1093876
File: 150 KB, 668x512, Good Form.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1092770
It got opened up by two guys that restore old arcade cabinets. They started a club where their friends could meet up and play old games, and then decided to open up this little arcade because the place where they were holding their meetings was getting too small with new membership.

I was thanking them for opening up a place like this, and one of them pointed over to a father and son playing a game together, side by side. He said "That's why we do this; so that new players can play these great games just like we did back in the day and pass along their knowledge to the next generation."

My wife and I didn't grow up together and we've never been to an arcade together either. Yesterday when we went into that place it was an amazing bonding experience. We played games next to each other for hours and I felt like I was gaming with my friends in high school again.

>> No.1094008
File: 41 KB, 400x254, char3_2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1092741
I'm pretty sure Raiden wasn't in 3 or UMK 3 because the actor who was rotoscoped for the Raiden and Cage sprites breached contract. He and Cage aren't in my SNES copies, anyway. They put his characters back in Trilogy.

>> No.1094042

>I'd like to hear any tips, tricks, or stories about the game.
Well, practice first. Find which character whos moves you enjoy flowing with the most and stick to them, tricks? hmm....that all depends on the character you choose, but once you start a battle either blocking or immediately lunging forward is a good start...every hit counts, i've had so many matches where i won with a splinter of health and took out half of their life bar and vice versa. BE AGRESSIVE, BE BE AGGRESSIVE....but dont button mash like a tard as experienced players can punish you easily. fighting games are like real fighting, its all about the aggression and being rutheless but you also need cunning and a clear mind to play RIGHT. don't take normal punches and kicks for grantid, as i said every hit counts, but don't take the area you're attacking for grantid either. the leg sweep is one of the most useful moves as when they might be trying to sock your face in you can dodge it and make them fall, always remember to switch up your low, mid, and high attacks, never always be in the air or always on the ground, never always use projectiles or always melee blows, be unpredictable.
> Are any of the characters particularly harder or easier to get the hang of?
I can't say that there are, it depends on which moves youre good with and what technique you work out with them. Scorpions teleport is great for example because you can teleport in mid air, from any angle, and hit the opponent upon reappearing, and once you get it down it's very useful...as is the basic but mighty spear. every character has pros and cons but they really depend on the way you play the game.

>> No.1094045

>>1094042
Forgot scorpion wasn't in mk2, but thats the general idea...every character can be useful it just depends on how you play.

>> No.1094083

>>1094042
>>1094045
Me again, also...always remember that defense is as important as offense. As prepared as you are to start hitting or launch a projectile, be just as prepared to jump, duck, teleport if you can, or block. Like i said the leg sweep is one of my most utilized moves because it's a duck and also an offensive move at the same time. If i'm playing somebody who doesn't play fighting games i pretty much go into what i call "easy mode". meaning i purposely play far slower than usual, and don't use leg sweeps, roundhouses, or uppercuts, and wait a couple seconds after if i use a teleporting move before i hit them.

>> No.1094086

>>1094045
Scorpion is in MK2 (and isn't really great as a character because male ninjas are kinda meh). He didn't appear in MK3. He reappeared in UMK3 (along with Human Smoke, to whom he's inferior in anything but fatalities).

>> No.1094098

>>1094086
Fuck me, that mk3 SS confused me. But i don't know about that...in my opinion any character can be used well by a good player. I've beaten tons of smoke players and noob saibot players with my trusty old scorpion, but that was pretty much the only character i played as when i was a kid so i'm sure it's part general skill and part placebo effect "I'm scorpion now, can't lose." I've never used any of the female ninjas and they do have very good moves, but i have no problem handling them if i really feel like kicking some ass and focus on my game. My most used characters throughout all of MK's history are scorp, jax, and kung lao

>> No.1094210

>>1094098
Of course you can play with everyone. The point of tier lists and power levels is that certain characters just have less favorable overall matchups and are less versatile. I'm not going to deny that Baraka has a devastating anti-air move in form of bbb+lp and some pretty decent punches or that Reptile's Force Ball pressure, the invisibility and the instant, very spammable Spit projectile are bad; it's just that higher tier characters have better toys.

If you asked me, I'd put Mileena, Jax and Kitana as my top characters (as I mentioned before). Mileena and Kitana share the superb female ninja basic moves, with Mileena having ridiculous Sai Throw pressure, Kitana capable of setting up huge combos with Fan Lift and Jax's throws and "gotcha" move having so much damage and priority, plus his other tools are pretty strong and not too easily punishable.

I also like Kung Lao though. He can be a menace with that Dive Kick of his which tends to throw people off and his moves are pretty good in themselves, particularly his long-ranged kicks.

If you have beaten Human Smokes in UMK3 with Scorpion, you'd likely be even scarier on Human Smoke with Scorpion, since they're literally the same character (they have the same moves) but Human Smoke is faster.

>> No.1095045

>>1094086
what about baraka?

>> No.1095067

>>1095045
Baraka doesn't appear in MK3 at all. He appears in Mortal Kombat Trilogy along with everyone else. Though that game is kind of broken.

>> No.1095068
File: 48 KB, 400x254, 0000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1092456
Practice against humans and not the AI. It's too exploitable.

>> No.1095071

>>1094210
>If you have beaten Human Smokes in UMK3 with Scorpion, you'd likely be even scarier on Human Smoke with Scorpion, since they're literally the same character (they have the same moves) but Human Smoke is faster.

Not necessarily true. Human Smoke, as well as being faster, has a ridiculous pop up combo Scorpion does not have (High kick, low punch if I remember right) that almost makes him broken.

>> No.1095072

Sub Zero can be learned easily. His slides and mid-air teleport can be pretty confusing. I don't recommend any character that gets locked into any animations for long. Barakka is cheap, but I think sub zero's freeze attacks are better.

>> No.1095093

>>1095072
Baraka is bottom tier if you ask me, lousy projectile. Subzero doesn't have a teleport in MK2.

>> No.1096196
File: 22 KB, 427x475, never stop playing, kid.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think it's really interesting to meet someone who's excellent in the arcade and willing to dispense a few secrets. It's as if a martial arts master came down from the mountain to share their wisdom with the common folk.

>> No.1096240

>>1095067
Aside from the ridiculous boss characters being playable, what makes that game broken? This is an honest curiosity and not an argument, 'cause I don't know the finer points of fighters. I've always just assumed that if I was better at the game, I'd be able to punish the cheap characters.

>> No.1096241
File: 402 KB, 2100x873, babalized.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1096196
Babalize is better.

>> No.1096247

I still remember most of the tiers

1. Mileena
2. Jax
3. Kung Lao
4. Liu Kang (maybe)
some other stuff
11. Baraka
12. Reptile

>> No.1096310

>>1096241
>blasted on weed
>Babality a fate worse than death

Holy hell, I had almost forgotten how weird media portrayal of Mortal Kombat was. It seems like so long ago.

>> No.1096321

>>1096240
Aside from the boss characters being in a tier of their own, it also features Noob "What the fuck were they smoking" Saibot, still not fixing Human Smoke making Scorpion obsolete, somehow not fixing Kabal who dominates MK3 since the first game, and Rain having some ridiculous stuff available.

It's a rather cool effort that they decided to release all characters in one giant game, but it kind of makes the whole rather unpolished since especially the MK2 character versions are rather rushed.

Then again I guess I'm kind of talking out of my ass because the mechanics themselves aren't very different from UMK3 (the Aggressor bar's presence might not be everyone's cup of tea), so it's mostly just really questionable character additions.