[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.29 MB, 2820x3420, Game-Boy-FL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10877218 No.10877218 [Reply] [Original]

I always liked how weird Nintendo got with their Game Boy sequels. Link's Awakening, the Mario Land games, even Balloon Kid are all very different from their console entries and they're pretty excellent (aside from the first Mario Land, but even that's a good game and I appreciate the new ideas it had). At the same time though, I kinda resent this since it seemed like they reserved this creativity for their handheld games. You never really see them make this kind of Zelda on console save for Majora's Mask, and they had so little confidence in Balloon Kid that they had to slap on the Hello Kitty license for the NES version. I would've loved to have seen Kid Icarus tried again on console instead of having it's sequel stuck on Game Boy. Actually, this wasn't even limited to Nintendo; lots of devs did some pretty experimental stuff with their GB games. The SaGa games in particular are Square at their peak in my opinion. I'm too lazy to edit the earlier text though.

The Game Boy definitely has one of the most interesting lineup of games. I don't really know what point I'm trying to make here, I just think the Game Boy is neat. Wish it could've had color from the start though.

>> No.10877348

I guess limitation really drives out innovation. It's a limited system so they had to improvise.

>> No.10877361

>>10877218
Mario Golf and Tennis GBC for console would've been highly cherished classics.

>> No.10877736

had some beast music in some games too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHLsolltIJ8

>> No.10879758

>>10877218
>Link's Awakening
How exactly do you think it's weird? You mean because he's in a dream?