[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 185 KB, 1024x512, 20198115352084_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10858059 No.10858059 [Reply] [Original]

I'm interested in playing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 for the first time, but I'm somewhat confused about the Enhanced Editions. I've heard that these remasters make significant changes, such as adding brand new companions that weren't in the original game. I'm not opposed to a quality of life change here or there, but I'm not really interested in experiencing story additions written decades later by another developer. I looked into some nexus mods and saw references to removed cutscenes and altered levels in these versions as well.
I suppose my question is, what is the "definitive" way to play these games? Is there a mod that removes the changes or a release that's more faithful to the originals?

>> No.10858079

more like balder's gate, amirite?

>> No.10858223

>>10858059
Like all characters in Baldur's Gate, they can be told to fuck off and have no impact on the main plot. The only restoration mods are ones that were already dummied out or removed from the original games, the most famous example being the Ascension mod which was made by BG2's design director.

The only significant changes you can't avoid are a plethora of bug fixes and BG1 having access to kits and more granular proficiencies, which has a hefty impact on the game balance in your favor, but BG1 isn't a difficult game to begin with once you get over the initial hurdle that is Lv1 AD&D2e.

>> No.10858245

>>10858059
for a first timer, just play the enhanced editions. the q.o.l. features are worth it without looking into mods yourself.

as >>10858223 said, if you don't like the companion just ditch them.

>> No.10858263

>>10858245
I'd like to note BG1 has a lot of companions in the early game. You'll come across maybe ten with fairly minimal exploration before the first plot dungeon. Annoyingly the game has no real party management system, you can't even direct them to inns without mods in 1.

>> No.10858387

BG1 is a boring "die to a spell or ability that holds your whole party and then quickly kills you, hope you quicksaved every few steps" game. It's okay to read a synopsis and skip to 2.

>> No.10858539

>>10858059
They do make a large number of changes, although the OC content introduced by Beamdog isn't a constant presence, though it's notable and, worse, unavoidable. Since their content is widely agreed to be garbage, I would install a Beamdog content removal mod. They not only add new characters (that force their way into scenes) and areas, but items as well, which throws off the item power progression. The Baldur's Gate modding community is active, and mods are easy to figure out.

Like >>10858223 said, they moved BG1 to the BG2 engine in the most simplistic and naive way possible, which hurts the balance and gameplay in a variety of ways. I would strongly suggest playing a patched version of the original game (with Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, which integrates into the main game's story) if possible and you can into computers enough to do so. If you buy through GOG, they used to include the original games with the EE versions, and I imagine they come ready-to-run on modern systems without trouble. Otherwise, 90% of the experience will be the same playing BG:EE, so that's acceptable as well.

>>10858387
Yeah the stakes are high at low levels. You are supposed to play smart, scout encounters, drink potions if the danger warrants it, etc. The game is a lot more fun if you don't load after every setback, and you let consequences matter. The difficulty is low enough that you can play with a party constructed and equipped ass-backwards and still win, so why not let things matter sometimes in, you know, an RPG?
You have ~20-25 companions for 5 empty slots in your party, and permanent death is rare. You'll have more money than you know what to do with by the end. So take the few blows that come your way and let yourself be immersed and enjoy the experience.
You are right that it's skippable though, as with any game. BG1 is about 80% side quests, so if you start to get bored OP, just focus on the main story quests and finish faster.

>> No.10859540

>>10858059
>'ve heard that these remasters make significant changes, such as adding brand new companions that weren't in the original game.
These are minor at best desu and if you REALLY REALLY don't even want to see them at all, there's a mod that mods them out.

>> No.10859542

It'll always make me laugh that retards try to claim that the OG BG engine is the best way to play 1. As if we haven't all been playing with either TuTu or the other mod that combines all the games into one.

>> No.10859642

>>10859542
I've never done that. The OG engine IS the best way. There are so many benefits to playing that way, and so few advantages, that I genuinely can't see how you could at all be familiar with the games and feel otherwise.

>> No.10859645

>>10859642
You're so fully of shit. Playing 1 in 2s engine has been the default for decades now.

>> No.10859662

>>10859645
Why would it be? What do you gain from it? Spells are slightly more consistent in effects between the two, and the icons and paper dolls stay consistent.
On the other hand, there are a bunch of changes that are nominally positive but have downsides: you get access to kits from level 1 (but are not balanced for levels 1-7), new spells are added to the BG1 section that are not balanced for it (e.g. Find Familiar), you can highlight containers (which the BG1 maps were not designed around and reveals hidden caches), etc.
And then there are changes that are quite bad: BG2 weapon proficiencies mean your characters are heavily restricted in usable gear in a game where there are only so many good weapons to start with, your ranger racial enemy choices reflect enemies not found in BG1, your thieves are short on skill points because the number of skills was changed between the two games, etc.

So what exactly are these major benefits that make 1-in-2 the default?

>> No.10859714

I liked BG1 a lot and vastly preferred it to what BG2 ended up doing