[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 20 KB, 259x194, images (58).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10815079 No.10815079 [Reply] [Original]

Why is this game liked less than PM64 on here?
Is it really just because of the backtracking?

>> No.10815082

>>10815079
my theory is that whichever one was played first had a greater impact on opinions. Having played ttyd first, 64 feels like a tech demo with phoned in story.

>> No.10815090

>>10815082
What if I played them all within a couple years of release year and ended up liking the Wii game the most?

>> No.10815097

the undergrounds are hideous, the stylized backgrounds lack depth and are far inferior to what was there before and the stupid gimmick of taking a pipe back there was never good. The plane, the most iconic transformation, is so bad that no player does it the first time without thinking theyre doing it wrong. The puny village isn't good and a lot of the music is inferior to 64, and even carries some of that awful lazy sense of "it's paper mario on an adventure... again!" like even the composer took it for a rehash. The fanbase is insufferable now and openly pushing trans vivian on westerners who used it as a trolling factoid that was ultimately irrelevant to our localization. Paper Mario himself looks hideous and lacking all charm, now looking like some kind of paper puppet. The bowser sections were a huge part of the marketing and they're not good.

Still better than the shitty mario and luigi games, but it doesn't have the heart of the first two mario rppgs. It's more earthbound in its quirk than it is earnest and soulful. It's what a fan would cook up, im sure that stupid bug game has dialogue exactly like this. It takes much more restraint to produce something like the first game, or even smrpg

>> No.10815103

>>10815097
SMRPG had bruce lee jokes, don't go that far

>> No.10815113

>>10815097
man mario and luigi was terrible. I played it for a few hours and dropped it cause i just cant bring myself to care about a bunch of shitty beans. I wanna stomp fuckin goombas damn it.

>> No.10815138

No spin dash, therefore the game is inferior.

>> No.10815178

>>10815079
I loved them back in the day but I find them exceptionally hard to go back to, including Mario & Luigi on GBA. While I appreciate these games trying to make battles more engaging they just take so damn long and I don't have the patience for them anymore. I know JRPGs from that era started to get a little out of hand with the long battle animations and whatnot but these games take so much longer than even the worst offenders of the era. I'll remember them fondly forever but I don't think I can ever go back and finish one ever again.

>> No.10815184

>>10815079
contrarianism and nothing else. at least TTYD64 (awful name, it's a PM64 hack) fixes the combat if you turn off the shitty replacement music.

>> No.10815320

>>10815097
ok

>> No.10815349

>>10815097
trying way too hard.

>> No.10815401

>>10815090
Then get off of /vr/ and go talk about that, anon.

>> No.10815408

>>10815079
Played 64 when it came out and loved it. When TTYD came out I got it and for some reason I couldn't get into it. Been itching to try it again and may emulate it or play the remaster since I replayed 64 and still enjoyed it.

>> No.10815504

TTYD is fucking awful, to me, and I genuinely cannot understand how much praise it gets
>absolutely insane amount of backtracking, to the point of it simply being comical
>chapter 2 is horrible, pikmin mechanics simply do not work or feel well
>chapter 3 is so fucking boring after the first few fights. just repetitive. underlying story for it had a lot of potential, but squandered
>chapter 6 interesting in theory but again, backtracking and not enjoyable
>chapter 7 is kinda cool
>backtracking for those side tasks (whatever they're called) is bad bad bad bad bad
>music overall feels inferior, honestly wasn't that bad though
>sewers are not fun
>bosses feel underwhelming
>same with badges too
>a ton of dialogue with NPCs around town, does help those areas feel very lively which was cool
i just found myself not interested at all and wanting it to be over at multiple times. part of it due to backtracking, half of it because i simply wasn't invested in the story. there seemed to be such little combat, i spent majority of the time just hearing people talk and more often then not it wasn't very interesting dialogue. a couple of neat characters, but overall I much prefer the original.

>> No.10815506

My personal theory is that a lot of the dumb contrarian opinions you see around here are just one guy who spams them over and over.

>> No.10815508

>>10815079
Both are pretty bad honestly

>> No.10816063

>>10815079
They're both fantastic. Same with mario & luigi.

>> No.10817338

I only played 64. Loved it.

>> No.10817341

>>10815506
This.
t. contrarian spammer

>> No.10817371

>>10815320
>>10815349
TTYDfags on suicide watch.

>> No.10817581
File: 25 KB, 229x252, 1702969444175.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10815079
i really think TTYD has more backtracking
there is something else i didn't like about ttyd too: there is less SOUL in the hub town's NPC's dialogue. i've not seen many people mention this, but rogueport has a lot of 'filler' progression for NPC dialog.
what do i mean by this? well in paper mario 64, the little hub NPCs usually go through a little story arc and update you on their little life-goes-on during mario's adventure.
in ttyd, the rogueport npcs tend to just... say the same thing, except one word is changed. there's a bandit hiding in an alley talking about how he's hiding and on the run... and you BETTER not tell anyone where he is, or he'll BONK/SMACK/WALLOP/etc. you
this is a small complaint in the grand scheme of things, and really silly when you consider all the other improvements TTYD brings in to the combat system. it's just something that always bugs me whenever i try to plug through TTYD; it feels like a lot of backtracking and the NPCs of rogueport are dull as dishwater. nothing changes about them as the game goes on.

>> No.10817631

>>10815113
retard, m&l games has wide variety of enemies

>> No.10818384

TTYD was a game I wanted to play for years because I actually had the strategy guide as a kid but not the game itself. When I got around to playing it years later I was actually pretty disappointed and liked 64 more. I hated for instance how the twilight chapter was just you going from the first room to the last and back like 4 times. Just boring level design. The peach segments felt lamer too with stuff like stealth or cooking replaced with just cut scenes. The battle systems better though.

>> No.10818403

It's not as good as people say it is, and they need to be brought down a peg

>> No.10818652

>>10815079
>on here
This board used to have 5th generation consoles plus Dreamcast as the cutoff point, so TTYD did not see as much discussion compared to its N64 predecessor.

>> No.10818685

>>10815079
I recently played it. First chapter is great, but becomes a slog after. Developer takes glee in wasting your time on boring shit. Some cool parts, but no desire to replay.