[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 73 KB, 530x700, sotn-alucard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1070248 No.1070248 [Reply] [Original]

God damn.
The game is easy, really, really easy to the point where it invalidates everything cool in the game.
Want to use that cool new weapon you found? Well now the enemies all die in 1-2 hits so they never even get to their pattern.
Want to use that armor you discovered? Now the enemies do 1 damage so theres no need to learn the bosses pattern.
I feel like I'm being punished (with a more boring experience) for exploring.

Whats the point in giving all the enemies unique patterns and ai's if they just fucking die without putting up a fight, or the point in having dozens of different types of attacks if just basic sword slashes are already more than enough to handle the enemies?

I've been playing through the game with a gameshark hack that sets alucard to level 99 with the stats of a level 1 and I'm fucking destroying everything without even needing to use subweapons, spells, or consumables.

I'm trying to enjoy this game but it feels like its working against me.

>> No.1070268

Punch everything to death, it adds challenge and makes you feel like a badass.

>> No.1070273

>>1070268
I agree with this guy. From what I remember it's a viable tactic

>> No.1070275

Yeah, SotN is notorious in that we had to come up with our own "hard modes"

>> No.1070283

>>1070248

I enjoyed it for its gameplay, good looking sprites and animation, and soundtrack. I didn't feel that it needed to be more challenging.

>> No.1070285

>>1070283
thats because you just want a virtual world to dick around in and not a game

>> No.1070287

>>1070285

Nah, I just don't equate a high challenge level with more fun. I enjoyed it as is. For those looking or a challenge, there are plenty of creative ways to devise your own hard modes which I think is pretty cool. Just not for me.

>> No.1070368

I don't think Symphony of the Night is a very good game period. Subsequent Metroidvanias improved upon its formula considerably.

>> No.1070606

>>1070368
i agree.

Sotn had a lot of bosses with crappy patterns like how you can stun lock the raven boss just by knocking him into a corner. It also had some of the most tedious back tracking in the entire series, later ones in the series would add more short cuts to help you navigate.

each subsequent metroid-vania had a more complex system for your characters abilities: card combos in Cotm, subweapon+spell book combos in aria, the soul system in sorrow, or por with its duel character. Sotn has only a handful of abilities for alucard

>> No.1070680

>>1070606
>It also had some of the most tedious back tracking in the entire series

Oh please, there are warps, library cards, and the game is easy enough that just walking to wherever you're going isn't a big deal. The castle is also circular with some cut-throughs so it's not like you have to go back exactly the way you came all the time.

Definitely agree on the lack of challenge being a problem though.

>> No.1070695

>>1070268
Even doing that the game is still a cake walk.

>> No.1070704

>>1070248

This game really, really, REALLY needs to get a good level editor and hacking community.

If you've ever played any of the great Super Metroid hacks, imagine what could be done with SOTN.

>> No.1070709

>>1070248
Sotn is special when it comes to challenge runs: the game is so unbalanced that they are still easy. Even level 1 alucard without equipment is OP as shit.

>> No.1070790

I dunno OP, play as Belmont?

>>1070704
Someone IS working on a level editor, but it's slow coming since all PSX hacking is a pain in the ass.

>> No.1071223

>>1070268
I actually find that easier considering your fist attack is faster than most weapons in the game. Usually I will just use fists and holy water until I get to the inverted castle.

>> No.1073803

We need to mod the game.

>Normal mode re-balanced
>Nightmare

Two romhacks would be needed, one aiming at a new normal difficulty, and another for fans who've played the games 40 times and want a super hard challenge.

>> No.1073808

>>1070248
>The game is easy, really, really easy to the point where it invalidates everything cool in the game.
Well... yes.

>> No.1073812

>>1070704
>If you've ever played any of the great Super Metroid hacks
No, but I don't think something like that exists either.

>> No.1074640

>>1070790
Richter mode is even easier because he can go anywhere and throw fifty million knives to destroy any boss in seconds.

>> No.1074690

I'm not sure I understand this "If it exists in the game I MUST use it!" mentality.

If the game's too easy for you, why not challenge yourself in some way? No armor level 1 Red Rust run.

>> No.1074704

>>1070285
Not that guy but I did, in fact, enjoy it as a virtual world to dick around in

>> No.1076137

>>1073803

this