[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 90 KB, 1024x576, garrettlost.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10655281 No.10655281 [Reply] [Original]

Thief thread

What is your favorite level from T1, T2 and Black Parade respectively? Bonus Question: T2X

For me it's
1. Down in the Bonehoard
2. Precious Cargo
TBP. Jaws of Darkness
T2X. Down Among Dead Men

>> No.10655335

>>10655281
1. The Haunted Cathedral
2. Life of the Party
TBP. The Brand
T2X. The Cure

I just love them Sealed Quarter missions, something about exploring ruins, recently abandoned due to undead infestation, is more enticing than exploring ancient tombs. Thieves' Highway missions are also great with lots of vertical exploring. Sure, engine is not the best for jumping and mantling so you have to savescum a lot, but looking around and thiking "I can't make that jump... or can I?" before reaching every next vantage point is rewarding experience. I'm happy that both types of missions exist in abundance among FMs and are often among the highest rated too.

>> No.10655338

>>10655281
>no mention of Thief 3
Holy shit fuck you so much and fuck anyone who doesn't consider it the true end to the series, I liked it a lot

Thief 1: The Sword
Thief 2: I didn't really like any level that much to be honest but I'll go with Shipping and Receiving
Thief 3: House of the Widow Moira
Haven't played any fan campaigns yet

>> No.10655341

>>10655338
Thief 3 is ass. There are only two missions in that game anyone likes so it's not even really a question to ask. It's always House of Widow Moira or The Cradle. When has anyone ever mentioned shitty pagan tunnels or shitty platforming level clocktower, the most the Sunken Citadel gets is a mention for how much of a waste of potential it is being in a game with no swimming and tiny cramped levels.

>> No.10655348

>>10655335
Funny you mention liking Sealed Section missions and that lining up with three of your four picks because it made me notice that all four of my picks are technically outside The City entirely, some remote crypt in Bonehoard, Markham's Isle, some remote magical dungeon crawl and another remote crypt located outside the city. I guess I just have an affinity for the isolation of those missions. I don't even dislike city missions at all I just really like being in the ass end of nowhere exploring some long forgotten tomb.

>> No.10655349

>>10655341
Don't care, Thief 3 > Thief 2 and it's not even debatable. 3 has a lot of severe flaws (many of which could've been ironed out with mods if there was an active scene) but 2 is genuinely awful.

>> No.10655351

>>10655349
I don't like Thief 2 so much (it's definitely at least a bit overrated compared to its predecessor) but the fact that it functions as a game and isn't a retarded janky and clunky body simulator like Deadly Shadows gives it a bit of an edge. I think most people who adore Deadly Shadows played it as their first one, and probably on og Xbox. It's like how BioShock fans think it's the most epic shit ever because they played it when they were 11yo on their 360 when it's just consolized System Shock 2 in reality.

>> No.10655369

>>10655351
Personally I liked 3 a lot because it was very exciting to see how the series evolved as it entered a new generation, for example being able to explore the City, do random sidequests, pickpocket pedestrians and actually sell your loot to buy stuff from different sellers felt like a natural evolution from the previous games (albeit held back by the console port, specially the City which feels very small), and I also loved the atmosphere and the more medieval setting. It is, however, a VERY janky game and it has some frustrating glitches, although no less janky and buggy than 2 which is the part people always conveniently leave out when discussion around 3 gets brought up. Thief 2 feels like a very rushed TDP expansion (because it is) as a desperate move since LGS was going bankrupt.
If Ion Storm hadn't been bleeding bucketloads of money 3 could've been fantastic.

>> No.10655371

>>10655281
I'm still a beginner where it comes to Thief fms (started with TBP), so :

1. Ascend The Dim Valley
2. Into The Odd
TBP. Where Old Faces Fade(*)

(*) even if it's not the most impressive mission of the campaign - but I'm just a sucker for big surreal mansions.

>> No.10655385

>>10655371
Bro, your OMs??

>> No.10655390

>>10655369
>It is, however, a VERY janky game and it has some frustrating glitches, although no less janky and buggy than 2 which is the part people always conveniently leave out when discussion around 3 gets brought up.
What. Please tell me where in Thief 2 there is any jank or clunk that even comes CLOSE to having a 50% chance of getting stuck in a sliding animation and losing half an hour of progress every time you jump like in Deadly Shadows.

>> No.10655425

>>10655371
>>10655385
Just to clarify since he said he's a beginner: OMs refer to the original, vanilla missions in the games
Was also wondering why he didn't list his OMs, come on anon we don't bite!

>>10655390
You can get out of that glitched state by drawing an arrow and then cancelling
But since you asked, some massive jank in 2 is that you can get fucked in Life of the Party by entering Karras' office before you find the final scripture, then a siren goes off and Garrett says "uh oh, gotta gtfo asap" and you're left wondering why the mission won't end
I'll also add that those stupid bomb bots are bullshit for a stealth game given they can one shot you and the only way to kill them is with a scarce resource that the player might not even have at the moment, I died so many times because of them

>> No.10655438

>>10655281
1. Song of The Caverns
2. First City Bank and Trust
TBP: Arcane Sanctum
T2X: A Question of Knowledge

>> No.10655440

>>10655425
>then a siren goes off and Garrett says "uh oh, gotta gtfo asap"
Ok wait I just looked up a playthrough and I think I'm misremembering? I could swear that's what happened though, pretty sure Garret said something about having to escape after you get the plan from the safe

>> No.10655442

>>10655385
>>10655425
I had a brain fart, sorry.
1. The Sword
2. First City Bank and Trust

>> No.10655446

>>10655425
>You can get out of that glitched state by drawing an arrow and then cancelling
If you're stuck in this state while on a slope or in-between two objects (floorboards of the ruined buildings with a gap in-between in the pagan tunnels comes to mind) you can't knock an arrow. And if you don't have an arrow you're also SoL.
>But since you asked, some massive jank in 2 is that you can get fucked in Life of the Party by entering Karras' office before you find the final scripture, then a siren goes off and Garrett says "uh oh, gotta gtfo asap" and you're left wondering why the mission won't end
I don't get it senpai. The scriptures is literally an objective in your list. Why would you wonder why the mission won't end when you haven't completed all of the objectives in your list? This isn't jank or clunk.
>I'll also add that those stupid bomb bots are bullshit for a stealth game given they can one shot you and the only way to kill them is with a scarce resource that the player might not even have at the moment, I died so many times because of them
This is literally just a skill issue, not jank or clunk. Deadly Shadows being an ARMA-style body simulator where the entire game is built for third person and first person mode is just attaching the camera to your third person model's head - THAT is janky and clunky. The game controls like hot garbage and not even the sneaky upgrade addresses this issue.

>> No.10655467

>>10655425
>those stupid bomb bots are bullshit for a stealth game given they can one shot you and the only way to kill them is with a scarce resource that the player might not even have at the moment,
I used to think this when I first played Thief 2 in 2000. But after a while I realized that it's the most stealth-game oriented enemy design decision in the series. Normally you need to manage your visibility using water arrows and you need to avoid game overs on Expert using the blackjack. But all of a sudden you have this enemy that you can only disable using water arrows. So, you are forced to make a choice. Either you take out the enemy and remove your ability to manage visibility, or you actually learn to sneak around enemies and thus you can save your water arrows for being able to sneak around even better. I realized that when I was pissed at the robots for wasting my water arrows, it was because I wasn't really wanting to play a stealth game at all. I was wishing I could be playing a game where I've already taken out all the opposition so I can move around without sneaking. When I stopped doing that I learned to play the game like it's an actual stealth game. Violence should be the last resort, especially when it uses precious resources. Instead of trying to knock out all the enemies, try to knock out as few as you can. In some situations the game actually gets easier as a result, not harder.

>> No.10655498

>>10655349
A lot of the issues were ironed out by modding like combining the mission sections together into one whole mission instead of segmented. Yeah, the game didn't have rope arrows but it was fine otherwise.

>> No.10655621

Gonna play Ascend The Dim Valley by DirkBogan because I've seen multiple people suggest it and hype it up, I haven't played it before.

If anyone wants to watch:
https://www.twitch.tv/renosharkclub

>> No.10655752

Garrett is a boring, one-note character whose only redeeming quality is his voice. Any further characterization beyond the occasional quip attempted in thief 2 and 3 (and even fms for that matter) fell completely flat.

>> No.10655814

>>10655752
Yeah they shouldn't have tried really. He's just a misanthropic egomaniac. The attempts at "character development" were handled so sloppily that it just felt like everyone's own misinterpretation of the character was equally valid. In the end of Thief 2 Garrett understands the point of the keepers, but it's never really explained why he's at all motivated to help them a few weeks later when Artemus just shows up and tells him to steal two things. Did he do it because of greed? Did he see an idea for massive profit due to the revelation about books that can tell the future? He could have done it because of the challenge, considering that half of what he does is just for that, but it's never really characterized that way. It's never characterized at all.

>> No.10656171

>>10655814
By the end of T2 he realises the Keeper prophecies are real and should be taken seriously. He's a loner and introvert, doesn't mean he doesn't care about what happens to the world around him. Maybe he was curious about what was written next and thus was waiting for Artemus to invite him back to the Keepers once they found something of importance in their books.

Thief 3 definitely has many flaws in terms of replayability and gameplay, but it still has an interesting vibe going on. TBP made me appreciate the antagonist even more, if anything the third game should just be remade on the Dark Engine; the whole concept of the levels is great, its just shitty execution due to that garbage engine the game runs on.

>> No.10656191

>>10655281
1. Bonehoard
2. Framed
TBP. Kept away from View
Have yet to play T2X

What I love most about Bonehoard (and in a way Kept Away too) is how deep you keep going underground. By the end you're jumping over dark chasms and crawling through acient tunnels only to end up even further down into this forbidden complex. It really encaptures the feeling of 'nobody's been down here for a long long time'.

Jaws of Darkness is also amazing. Only that section between opening the gate with the ring and whatever the fuck was down below there kinda felt underwhelming. Would have been cooler if that area was more dark and had more going on

>> No.10656197

Does anyone know any exploration themed fan missions without any human enemies, bare minimum of, or potentially none at all? Something as immersive as Lost Among the Forsaken.

>> No.10656472
File: 8 KB, 205x201, 56365353735.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10656171
>Deadly Shadows on the dark engine

Holy motherfucker yes, bigger levels like BP, maybe add missions. Dan Thron is still around his cutscene zero was amazing could make more.

>> No.10656482

>>10656191
Jaws of Darkness is incredible I agree, and I understand why you wanted more of the last stages of eldritch madness but knowing dromed and the crazy brush work in that level I kinda forgive them.

And its a map full of novelty and variation theres so much shit to see and experience its fine the last part is also a snippet.

And the ending being already daytime is the cherry on top.

>> No.10656498
File: 345 KB, 963x1210, Orlando_Furioso_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10655281

Break from Cragscleft, for design alone
Blackmail ( I just realized I only really like 3 or 4 T2 levels. )
Probably The Brand
Have yet to play Thief2x to the end only played two levels.

>> No.10656549

>>10656498
T2X's story and characters are dogshit but some of the later levels really quite good. The opening is definitely not its strong point.

>> No.10656705

>>10656171
>if anything the third game should just be remade on the Dark Engine
Is that what they used for T1 and T2? If so then yeah T3 would be a lot better that way.

>> No.10656709

>>10656705
Yeah its the dark engine, quite a glorious one for fucking 1998, also used in system shock 2 to great effect.

Bioshit can suck my dyick, SS2 was always be superior.

>> No.10656898

>>10656709
Yeah System Shock 2 was great, I still need to play the first game.

>> No.10657591

>>10655446
>floorboards of the ruined buildings with a gap in-between in the pagan tunnels comes to mind
You're right, now that you mention it I remember it happening to me as well
>I don't get it senpai
I'm straining my memory here but I believe after you enter the office and get the plan you get a message telling you "get out now" even if you still haven't found the scripture. I don't remember if it's spoken by Garrett or it's an objective that gets added to the list, but I remember this could happen. If you were unfortunate enough you'd get back to the beginning and then realize you're still missing the scripture
>This is literally just a skill issue, not jank or clunk
Yes and that's why I called it bullshit, it's just not fun to me, at all. I didn't have issues controlling Thief 3 and I didn't use the sneaky upgrade to change the animations, though I can't say I disagree it feels a little stiff sometimes

>> No.10657696
File: 968 KB, 1920x1080, Thief2_wdNA4ARQQJ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10656197
Playing Malazar's Inscrutable Tower as it fits the needs.

Also to the shader pack anon, I ended up using 480px resolution with FXAA applied to compensate for jagginess and smoothing out the pixelization from disabled internal filtering. Kinda looks like crap to unaccustomed eye but I like it, can't stand low polygonal geometry in games like this otherwise.

There is no use for sharpening so I left it disabled, but I found one pretty interesting shader called SharpContrast.fx you may want to look into -- it's in Insane-Shaders pack.

>> No.10657706

>>10656197
Nigel's hidden treasure is a great exploration fm if you don't mind BBB's ultra primitive mapping style and some human enemies in some parts

>> No.10657725

>>10657706
>ultra primitive mapping style
As long as it doesn't feel empty and has a sense of place and progression, which I presume is the actual case from positive comment. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it.

>> No.10657967

>>10655467
most based post I've ever seen.

>> No.10658141

>>10655281
T1 - The Sword.
T2 - Shipping... and Receiving, Masks is a close second.
TBP - The Long Shadow Falls.
T2X - Can't tell yet, I just started it, but so far, I liked Shadowing The Enemy the most.

>> No.10658168

>>10656197
>Lost Among the Forsaken
No name could've been made more befitting for this one of the filthiest and unnerving takes on the Old Quarter. If the original place was true to its concept of the lost capital district with somewhat thought-out infrastructure and broad open streets sometimes blocked by wreckage, here is a labyrinthine ruin of a plague swept shanty town worth a century of neglect. Collecting all the possible loot should be near impossible, and navigating such chaos of a settlement with eventual escape a considerable challenge.

Imagine yourself a cockroach planted deep inside a cube of a moldy junk processed through the trash compactor where you get constantly preyed by ants and centipedes without a moment to relax, that would be my fair assessment of play experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB5_MX9NyW4

>> No.10658197

>>10655349
HAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.10658214

>>10657591
>>10657591
>If you were unfortunate enough you'd get back to the beginning and then realize you're still missing the scripture
That's not being unfortunate, that's being fucking retarded and forgetful. It has nothing to do with jank.

>> No.10658385

>>10658197
>>10658214
Shush samefag, Thief 3 is the canon ending and there's nothing you can do.

>> No.10658552

>>10658385
You are probably the only person in the history of /vr/ thief threads that is making a claim like Deadly Shadows being better than 2 and you have the gall to accuse other people who don't hold that opinion of samefagging, kek.

>> No.10658610

>>10658168
Its amazing yeah great FM, also trying alcazar today, and form what i have seen its super comfy.Nice rooms, particles in the air.

The brush work in the dark engine is something else.

Hence why the Brand in BP is so cool, the mix between real city, health and safety violations, the closed of section lore expandad. I love the baron posters
warning people.

>> No.10658641
File: 9 KB, 259x194, download (46).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

25 year later and I'm still mad

>> No.10659021

>>10658641
That's not what makes me mad about that room. I'm mad about the fact that Thom is standing there, guarding the key and the only way to steal the key without being seen and without knocking him out is to wait for 8 hours for the glitchy idle animation frames of the character model to push him enough forward so you can reach the key from behind him.

>> No.10659318

>>10659021
Ghosting is for gays. Concussion simulator is ludo. Simple as.

>> No.10659325

>>10658641
For me it was the fact that Thieves' Guild requires you to slash a banner with your sword to finish it, and if you didn't know you could do that you were just stuck indefinitely. Maybe it was mentioned in the manual or something but my copy of Thief didn't come with a physical manual and I almost never paid attention to the digital ones as a kid if there was one there at all.

>> No.10659327

>>10658641
Same here. This kind of stuff is not that bad nopwadays as modern FMs taught us to search for loot in least probable places and to try and frob everything even remotely sticking out of background, but original Thief used to hide only optional objectives - mandatory ones could be located with more or less direct clues in readables or even randomly stumbling around, so that random cache was the worts curveball after 2+ hours trip through brown and ugly sewers.

>> No.10659341

>>10659318
Well, it is the thieves guild. The whole point of the mission is to show the Downwinders that you can accomplish more difficult tasks than they can. In most missions you're trying to do a job and use effective tactics, but the guild mission is an ego trip.

>> No.10659342

>>10659325
You don't have to slash the banner, you can frob the safe door and then its contents through it. That's how I did it on my first playthrough years ago. I haven't learned about being able to slash banners until years later.

>> No.10659568

I honestly dont mind bonking if the situation allows it, like an annoying guard in a single room.

But its fun to avoid humans as much as possible and to wreck monsters with all your tools

>> No.10659685

>>10659341
I think knocking them all out sends a pretty clear message more than just ghosting their lair and looting it, you're showing those fuckers that you could've easily killed them all but chose to show them mercy and to never fuck with you again which they obviously never do.

>> No.10659690

>>10659685
I agree, I actually always did that, Guards can kill you but they are doing their jobs, while those brigands needed a lesson.

I did similar in with ramizes bois.

>> No.10659706

did anyone else play intruder's new mission?

considering how experienced he is, and that he has made some bangers in the past, I'm a bit disappointed in the new one. the biggest strength of his old missions is that they're very expansive and end up feeling bigger than the sum of their parts. in comparison new new one felt quite small. I did like the undead section tho.

maybe I'm just spoiled by TBP. it's nice that the fan mission scene is still active

>> No.10659730

>>10659685
Garrett doesn't show mercy, he just likes patting himself on the back for doing something that's harder than what "amateurs" do.

>> No.10659895
File: 993 KB, 1579x2048, Joseph_Wright_of_Derby_The_Alchemist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished it, damn it was a bit sad. But fitting.

I guess at least he saves his soul, and I did feel like an improntu by fate paladin with the holy sword

>> No.10660187

You know, Holy Water would've been way cooler if it didn't kill you half the time with reactive zombie torsos

>> No.10660225

>>10660187
never happened to me while using holy water arrows. however, in FMs that feature zombie killing swords it happens frequently. I guess you're simply not supposed to stand close to a zombie when it dies

>> No.10660274

>>10660225
I'm still getting hit with gibs from a fair distance, must be a framerate issue or something. Fun as it is, I wish there was a simple way to patch this silly feature out.

>> No.10660317

>>10660274
I never get hit with damage from them wtf.

Even in BP with the holy sword.

>> No.10660327

>>10658552
An arrow in the throat ought to shut you up, samefag.

>> No.10660563

How are you supposed to deal with loud tiles if you used up all the moss arrows?

>> No.10660585

>>10660563
Taking half steps while crouching or hopping between carpets if there are any.

>> No.10660589

>>10660563
Sneak while crouching by not pressing forward but tapping, you make a sound when your head bobs. It's janky game mechanic abuse, I know.

>> No.10660592

>>10660589
>pressing forward
holding forward*

>> No.10660620

>>10659325
>requires you to slash a banner
A link to the past had this so you were supposed to apply that same knowledge.

>> No.10660820

>>10659342
Well, that's an engine exploit that is even harder to figure out than just slashing the banner. Frobbing through the banner randomly until you grab everything was probably only like 5% of players' solution to the problem.

>> No.10661453
File: 305 KB, 1280x720, bafford-banner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10659325
I was trying to think how I originally figured out the banner in Bafford's when I was 10 years old playing the demo. I now noticed that it was probably because of this small section of yellow bricks. After that once I got the full game and got to the barracks in Cragscleft I ran into more banners, and slashing them revealed another secret. The same thing repeated in Assassins, and so I became used to the idea that there are probably things hidden behind banners. Years later when I played Thieves Guild, the banners were a no brainer. If you figure out the very first banner secret in the game, it will make you figure out the rest.

>> No.10661771

what is T2X? I've just played through the originals and Black Parade and I'm up for more Thief.

>> No.10661790

last night I had a dream where I was in a Thief mission, but it was like the Chamber of Secrets in Harry Potter and I had to hide from the basilisk. idea for a FM...

>> No.10661945

>>10661771
It's likely the first larger fan-made campaign (13 missions in total) released for Thief 2 around 2004, in early days of modding. Takes place more or less during the events of Thief 2, but follows a different protagonist. Do not set your expectations too high after playing TPB as the story is kinda DeviantArt tier and the maps are not very big or complex (it came out long before New Dark engine after all), but still has some enjoyable moments and settings (like moving train or brothel) which you rarely ever see in Thief games, so might be worth giving a try.

If you're looking for something that is more than just a single mission, I recommend Godbreaker (4 maps) and Feast of Pilgrims (single map prequel to Godbreaker) - nice and coherent story of old thief who used to go for legendary heists in his youth and want to retire in style now.

>> No.10661961

>>10661945
I'll start with Feast and Godbreaker then. Sounds great. Thanks.

>> No.10661962

>>10661771
Between These Dark Walls, Endless rain and Chalice of Souls are a famous trio of missions that count as a mini campaign made by one of BP creators.

The fist mission is simple but the others are bonkers newdark stuff.

>>10661945
I have to try Thief 2 stuff thanks for reminded me. Old man protags are always rad.

>> No.10662098
File: 1.20 MB, 1920x1080, dump082.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10660187
I love gibbing zombies with holy water so much

>> No.10662117

>>10662098
Its also nice with the holy sword.

>> No.10662126

>>10662117
This is the second time I've heard about a holy sword. Do you actually get one in TBP? The only fan mission in which I've seen a holy sword is Inverted Manse.

>> No.10662132

>>10661771
https://www.thief2x.com/
https://www.thiefguild.com/fanmissions/2291/
It's really the first Thief 2 fan campaign that had a high production value. The voice acting, story and characters are absolute shit by current standards but the levels themselves are good and the campaign is balanced towards beginners so it's not super difficult like other FMs are compared to the main OMs. It was quite notable on release and introduced a lot of people to the existence of FMs in general (myself included, my first FM was T2X).
>>10661453
But alas, I did not figure out the banner secrets in Bafford's until my second playthrough at a minimum.

>> No.10662134
File: 1.23 MB, 1920x1080, dump007.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10662126

Yeah its a really nice puzzle in mission 4, didnt you find the alarus mural suspicious?

>> No.10662139
File: 750 KB, 1920x1080, dump007.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10662134
The Sword Upgrade is nothing compared to the Bow Upgrade.

>> No.10662154
File: 63 KB, 1024x768, t1 builder.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I find it really thematically appropriate and a good hidden secret.

Hume becomes a holy warrior of sorts, chosen by destiny, not the perfect choice but good enough, he had a hard life

>> No.10662167
File: 179 KB, 1920x1080, dump000png.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hmmm, today I think I will play... Brainchild by Sperry. Haven't tried it before but I finished Shadow of Doubt again and came away with a slightly better opinion of it, so thought I'd try something else by him.

https://www.twitch.tv/renosharkclub

>> No.10662181

>>10662134
Hey, I never found the haunted cathedral winter tunnels secret on my own. And the TBP M04 thing doesn't even have a friendly ghost giving you clear instructions.

>> No.10662236

>>10662139
Man, Thief humans really are weird maldoemwd homonculi. I wonder why someone thought this would be appealing

>> No.10662243

>>10662236
Thats a particular bad model, you can make them better with effort.

However i do love Thief 1 ones despite being wonky, my biggest desire early in the days was for guards to have more animations and sheath their swords, unreal 1 was around and had way better models.

>> No.10662368

>>10657696
I dont think dark engine benefits from that, a clean look is better overall. My only dislike is HD textures.

>> No.10662552

>>10662243
The model is bad, but I don't think it could be much better even if made by a professional. I think the problem with Thief's NPC meshes is caused mainly by the way their skeletons are set up. You can tell that both males and females are using the same skeleton, which has always been kinda wonky and had bad anatomical proportions even for men. Their waists are so narrow and their shoulders so broad, it's hard to wrap a female model around them.

For some reason the artist at LGS decided that female models should have narrower waists instead of wider hips, but that only makes their shoulders pop out more. And it seems like FM authors choose to replicate that body shape either to fit in with the existing style or because they aren't 3D artists and just tweak the existing models.

>> No.10662561
File: 9 KB, 350x350, ScurryBot.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10662552
Dark engine models have always been the worst part, but for the time the animations were nice I guess.

I think better models could be achieve although its hell from what i gather to work with those skeletons Yeah.
BP has some really cool animations and models and I like how some of them are one time only, it increases their uniqueness.

Thief made on a newer engine but looking like dark engine woudl open up a tons of possibilities as TDM already shows.

>> No.10662657

>>10655281
1. The Mage Towers
2. Life of the Party
TBP. N/A (Haven't played yet)

>> No.10662674

>>10662657
>a Mage Towers appreciator
You're like a unicorn. There's at least one level in TBP that you'll absolutely love.

>> No.10662681

>>10662674
That level flexes a lot, the small castle is completely optional even on expert.

I thought i would be hard to wander around but its even easier than trial of iron. Or maybe i am just getting too good at thief.

>> No.10662821

>>10661945

The Bohn references and map in BP seem like a reference to Broken Goddess campaign with the same protag that sounds like sean connery.

Its 14 missions right? Hope they do it, and I hope the writing is more solid like BP.

>> No.10662968

>>10662821
It seems like it, and knowing the quality of inidividual maps in Feast and Godbreaker so far, this campaign might be on par with TBP or maybe even better. I really like the idea of Sean Connery opening a comfy book shop in retirement but still itching for an adventure and going tomb raiding in most remote parts of the world, this promises some nice undead and pagan missions.
But there have been no real news on development since 2022, so let's hope that the lads haven't abandoned it.

>> No.10662975

Wasn't there an FM that has you playing as a guard? There should be more FMs like that being from the perspective of someone else Garrett is trying to steal from.

>> No.10662983

>>10662968
The concept art of the big bridge with houses is nice, a mission on such a place woudl be super comfy, an apartment with a view towards the river\ocean.

There is also a concept of a mission on an ancient lighthouse.

I found out about it in BP because of the shout out in kept away from view.

Hope they are not dead and the writing is nice yeah. They seem ot have lost some mappers and dont have the same amount as BP. Crossing fingers.

This shit is insane I would really want to pay something to the bp guys and these ones.

>>10662975
Would love for a campaign where you play as a Keeper. My respect for them grew in BP, compared to other "powers" they really seem quite sneaky and powerful.

Maybe mission not focused on big loot, but maybe loot as to give the impression of a robbery, but steal artifacts, documents new places, imagine an expedition to the ice wastes to find places like jaws of darkness tombs.

>> No.10663441

Started playing Scholar Hand. Loved the beginning, and then suddenly everything turned into mines and zombies in every corner.
Should I continue ?

>> No.10663546
File: 277 KB, 1280x1494, 1557784122619.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A thread back some anon fancied idea if a ready-to-play copy of Thief might come useful for people just getting into the game, so I decided to clean-up and upload my own copies for anyone's use. Tell me if I went retard and some changes are intrusive or unsuitable for a share in case you decide to check. I'll reupload it in case something bad comes up, but I think it all should be fine however. There are brief notes on what's what in ReadMe text file.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/qmzlu84u988rh/Portable_Thief

>> No.10663569

>>10660327
How many loading screens do you think a Thief level needs, anon?

>> No.10663570

>>10663546
Also, I didn't use TFixes nor GOG releases for this, so voodoo47's undocumented changes should be off the table. Dark Project is an actual game, not GoldToDark conversion.

>> No.10663642

>>10663546
I only read the readme but this is nice, why not angeloader?

Also are the cutscenes normal or the smoother ones that were improved?

I appreciate the dark project included. Might grab this tomorrow. Very nice.

>> No.10663674

>>10663546

I didnt have the dh2.osl file in my osm folder. Was it essential?

Your cam_ext.cfg file is also presented different and i think it has more options, weird.

Very nice anon.

>> No.10663695

>>10663642
FMSel is plenty robust, working launcher and is integral to NewDark. Angeloader could be installed separately as an unified game launcher for all Dark Engine games. Ultimately I decided to leave the choice up to users if they wish to use one over another instead of putting multiple copies of Angeloader, it also pretty trivial to set up.

I've also considered integrating Dark Mod Manager and ddfix/olddark for the heck of it, but they were messing up my setup and only made things more complicated. I kept it simple.

Cutscenes are original, all game data is from the original CDs.

>>10663674
>I didnt have the dh2.osl file in my osm folder. Was it essential?
It comes from tnhScript, some old fan mission might use it. Wouldn't hurt to have.

>Your cam_ext.cfg file is also presented different and i think it has more options, weird.
There are more variables alongside with their extensive descriptions in doc files, all of it was taken directly from there. Settings are mostly default though.

>> No.10663705

Into the Odd is such a nice FM. That is all.

>> No.10663721

>>10663695
Yeah I am reading through the cam file now, its better presented. I only changed minor stuff, like I dont even need to activate EAX since did the other patch.

Also have bigger multisample etc.

For now I dont have been having trouble with FMs, I usually leave the osm folder\mod disabled in angeloader.
Maybe I should make it active for fms.

BP I only played with the interface patch after putting tfix lite and a small reshade.

I think I am getting how thief works now.

>> No.10663758

>>10663695
>Settings are mostly default though.
To elaborate, not sure what PC isn't able to handle anisotropic filtration, but I reduced it anyway from default 16 to 8. New mantling code is enabled as most of the mission makers recommend it, difference is negligible in common practice. As for controversial setting, I turned off the old favorite ability to bunny hop at extreme speeds in Dark Project, but it can be reversed if people wish for.

>>10663721
>For now I dont have been having trouble with FMs, I usually leave the osm folder\mod disabled in angeloader.
All scripts usually come alongside with missions unless author somehow forgot to include it, osm folder is a safe measure. I think I had trouble with Fables of the Penitent Thief once, and something else but less remarkable so I forgot.

>> No.10663769

>>10663758
Nah its a fine pack, I might change my fm folder to it just so shit looks neater and tweak the cam file with my stuff.

My cam didnt have the option to disable bunny hopping. I like it but i have to be honest it always was a bit bullshit.

>> No.10663773

>>10663758
Btw what is the shaders folder?

>> No.10663823

>>10663773
>Btw what is the shaders folder?
Look up d3d_disp_sw_cc, it's disabled.

>I like it but i have to be honest it always was a bit bullshit.
With it you can be so much fast that your head wouldn't be able to keep up. Game bug or not, I'm actually partial to it because dealing with the accelaration when you're hopping off moss patches and carpets is a skill in its own.

>> No.10663839

>>10663823
Sure but it kinda ruins the tension if something following you, then again for an experienced player, even no bunny hopping its not hard to run from enemies.

>> No.10664445

>>10661945
NTA but Feast of Pilgrims says something called New Mantle needs to be enabled but I don't see it anywhere in the cam_ext.cfg file.

>> No.10664478

>>10664445
Add new_mantle if it's actually not there, here is the list of all variables https://pastebin.com/BjApc3Rp

Some mission makers add their own preferred settings to fm.cfg so you wouldn't have to change anything. Can be quite annoying if it's something ridiculous.

>> No.10664547

I'm enjoying these regular thief threads, after tbp I've been playing a lot more thief on a almost daily basis.

Just finished up "Behind closed doors" by Nicked, it's a huge thieves highway style map with a ton of side objectives, I took me around 5-6 hours to complete if u include reloads.

the beginning was pretty rough though, there's a point where you need to backtrack and it's not very clear where you need to go next, but after that point the map really begins to open up and it becomes much more enjoyable.

There's a few important items that can be easy to miss, a problem with such a huge open ended map, but for the most part I thought the author succeeded in making the placements logical and plenty of readables that gives clues.

>> No.10664631

If they released a remastered Thief that literally just fixed ladders I'd buy it

>> No.10664637

>>10661790
still thinking about it. maybe I should make my own FM (with blackjack and basilisks)

>> No.10664682

>>10662975
There is one, I think it's called upside down, but it's just a joke FM, you end up taking on a whole group of thief guild dudes in a mansion alone, so stealth and backstabs is still the best combat strategy and you also collect loot to "protect" it from thieves, it just plays like a more murderous Garret with just a tiny bit of funny dialogue at the start.
>>10661945
Godbreaker is just too ballbusting for me at times, also I hate jungle.
tx2 is fucking mindblowing for me with how it starts like goddamn disney princess cartoon, but has a joke about guy fucking a thousand year old mummy just casually dropped along the way.

>> No.10664849

>>10664682
Kek yeah, the guy fucking a mummy in the museum, that if you pay attention to the description of the mummy on its empty coffin is actually "Rumored to have been a man".

>> No.10664851

I'm currently playing Hidden Agenda , I'm an hour in and still haven't completed any objectives, in fact a new optional one was added as I was exploring.

>> No.10665398
File: 1.20 MB, 997x694, Tenets.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10664682
Mummyfucker is a nice curveball on its own, but it's completely dwarfed by the whole brothel mission later on. The periscope which gives you an access to peep show of crude 3D model people kissing and fellating, the monkey man in pagan room for people with "unique tastes" and finally that Hammerite sex dungeon room with pic related book was a real cherry on top.

>> No.10665779

>>10663823
There was an old sound enhancement for for thief not the openal eax thing, what did it do?
I remember using it on older versions of thief

>> No.10665846

>>10663823
>With it you can be so much fast that your head wouldn't be able to keep up. Game bug or not, I'm actually partial to it because dealing with the accelaration when you're hopping off moss patches and carpets is a skill in its own.

BP already comes with a config file with it active, I am not sure if I like it or not.

>> No.10665875

has anyone played The Stone of Alarus? I literally failed the second I opened it. I'm supposed to get inside that coffin, right? But it doesn't open and it seems to be closed, yet I have no key and the lockpicks don't open it.

>> No.10665928

>>10665875
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXVcNpIJxII
looks like I'm facing a bug?

>> No.10665972
File: 221 KB, 440x296, garrett7.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just transferred all my stuff to this portable version, tweaked my cam_ext file, reshades, all up and running with a neater folder. Thanks anon.

Feels so good returning to Garrett fms after black parade, I am still in for some good ones, and also try feast of pilgrims\godbreaker.

God bless and the modders\fan creators of this world and classic games theirs is the kingdom of the builder.

>> No.10666165

>>10665875
do you have the latest version of newdark? tried disabling any mods you may have?

>> No.10666247

What did they do with TBP to make using the ladders so damn annoying? I had trouble just trying to get on when climbing down and always had to quicksave first because I'd end up falling to my death.

>> No.10666272

>>10666165
I'm playing with vanilla T2 as far as I'm aware, it's the GOG installer from piratebay. So no, I don't have the latest version of newdark I'm afraid. The game runs fine, I just can't open the coffin with the right click.

>> No.10666280

>>10666247
Its not only in BP.

The best way I do to stick84mdxk on them Is to move back while looking down and instead press w while looking down.

>> No.10666295

>>10666272
gog versions uses an outdated version of newdark, just run the installation for t2fix on it and the fm should hopefully work

>> No.10666329
File: 178 KB, 1336x680, 1692118056373263.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10666295
wow, it works. thanks a lot.

>> No.10666430

>>10666247
Ladders have this annoying property which never makes them 100% safe to use. If they are exactly equalt to the edge orslightly below it, getting off them while climbing up is easy, but they are nigh impossible to be mounted properly from the edge when you want to go down. On another hand, if ladders stick out slightly above the edge, it's easier to descend on them properly but much harder to dismount when at the top of climbing - your guy simply makes the "oomph" sound but fails mantling because the ladder is in the way of the ledge, and performs full jump back to his death.

The best solution, featured sadly only in couple of missions, is to make ladders slightly angled instead of perfectly vertical, so the character has a chance to grab them while fallign after failed climb down attempt. There is still that problem where you never fall straight down - even if you crouch and slow crab walk in slowest way possible, you bump off the ledge and gain some unreasonable horizontal momentum on your fall.

No good solution to the player other than to deal with it and save before every ladder interaction to not get punished by a clunk in the engine.

>> No.10666637
File: 3.24 MB, 4468x2161, not thief games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://sh.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2%3A1776332&dswid=3202

>> No.10666961
File: 48 KB, 1366x768, 20240128152421_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvf5sShENVM

Random_Taffer's band released today the song they've made for The Black Parade's ending , The Brand.

>> No.10667258

>Garret sets a higher personal loot goal for the Detroit section of the City than Constantines mansion

come on man

>> No.10668519

Thief virgin here, my first time playing through The Metal Age and i got to "Masks". what a great idea to make me play the exact same mission twice in a row. anyway, am i gonna miss some important stuff if i simply skip it?

>> No.10668643

>>10668519
It's a pretty standard mansion mission. If you got the correspondence in the previous mission, then you won't really miss anything other than decent stealth gameplay in a medium-to-high security boringly symmetrical house. The only real lore is in that correspondence and you can get it in Casing instead.

>> No.10668673

>>10668519
might as well just stop right there because the mission right after that is a total clusterfuck of a finale

>> No.10668684

>>10666430
Another good solution is to place the ladder against the wall perpendicular to the ledge that you're supposed to climb onto. It makes it much easier to both mount the ladder and grab the ledge. It doesn't make sense in every scenario, though.

>> No.10668734

>>10668673
pleb take

>> No.10668826

>>10668519
I dropped the game a year ago because of that mission. I need to pick it up again and just skip it and finish the game.

>> No.10668926
File: 136 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10668971 [DELETED] 
File: 1.90 MB, 1920x1080, Thief Cozy Photo 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10668976
File: 308 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10669037

>>10668971
?

>> No.10669228

>>10668673
Sabotage is the best final level and more games should take notes from it how final levels should be like.

>> No.10669383
File: 263 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10668976

>> No.10669435
File: 24 KB, 316x249, 1000085648.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how do I get the EAX working pipo?

>> No.10669538

>>10669435
>https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/2131-newdark-openal-soft/
drop this in the install folder, then go to audio settings ingame, the software/hardware tab should now give you a third option which enables Eax

>> No.10669684 [DELETED] 

Why do people keep recommending angelloader over newdarkloader? The stupid thing can't even play FMs while they're still zipped like the other FM selectors. I can't even get it to play an FM even after unzipping it in the folder I have them in.

>> No.10669915
File: 245 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10669383

>> No.10670112
File: 318 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10669915

>> No.10670625

>>10661945
Feast of Pilgrims was amazing. I really enjoyed the optional objectives in particular. Thanks for the rec.

>> No.10670836

>>10670625
I'm currently playing it myself right now, it must be one violent city I keep hearing the sounds of guys being killed a lot.

>> No.10670859

>>10670836
I noticed that too and saw some bodies lying in the street. It's pretty chaotic.

>> No.10671095

>>10670625
Where do you find the gear needed to get the mechanical eye and the code for the armory? I'm pretty sure I've explored everywhere except the cathedral by now.

>> No.10671145
File: 1.08 MB, 2560x1440, dump004.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10671095
in the building with the drill go through the small window and look up at the gargoyles, there is another window above the farthest gargoyle (pic related), the gear is through there.

the code was in a scrunched up note in a bin in a small room but I can't remember where it is though I remember the code: 8085

>> No.10671180

>>10670625
Really glad that you liked it. I assume that you want to progress with the Godbreaker first, but i you ever wish to look for another good rooftop experience, you might enjoy Behind Closed Doors - there is also quite a lot of free exploring around open-ended part of the city, along with many optional objectives which encourage you to explore every balcony and open window.

>>10670836
>>10670859
According to a note in one of the buildings, there is some kind of pervert on the loose, shouting profanities in foreign language and trying to peep or force himself into the buildings with the ladies. You can hear him from time to time or obesrve the guards being in pursuit after him. Kinda fun thing to do, considering how most of the rooftop missions with no direct access to the ground level tend to be a bit lifeless when you look down on the streets.

>> No.10671216

>>10671180
Yeah I have to go straight to Godbreaker but downloaded Behind Closed Doors for later. I don't see myself getting tired of this game soon.

>> No.10671928

I've been playing Tenchu 1 and it's made me really appreciate how few guards in Thief are set to "stand still and pivot" mode.

Pretty much every other enemy in Tenchu is in "stand still and pivot" mode and they have 8 directions they face, they can only pivot to the directions next to the one they're already facing and it's a coin flip each time meaning that sometimes they'll just pivot back and forth facing your direction for an entire minute, but if you took the time to go around they might also just have RNG'd their way into pivoting around to that direction too. It just makes the game feel so random it feels super frustrating at times, whereas Thief feels very deterministic in comparison.

In Thief the guards that pivot on the spot only do it in four directions and they can access each direction from whichever one they are already facing so they won't get stuck facing just one direction all day.

>> No.10671949

>>10671928
Its quite incredible how many firsts and knock outs a game like Thief which is primitive now did.

I mean story and bizarre\ unique setting
Stealth elements and makes you feel like a D&D rogue
Expansive maps
Sound propagation which few do today, and makes the UI clean cause you can rely one sound 100%.

Quite remarkable really.

There is a slow elegant pace and tension to thief which i think will only be replicated one day in vr gaming.

>> No.10672071

>>10671949
One tiny thing which I love in Thief is how guards, when once alerted, never really calm down to default state. In many games with stealth elements which came afterwards, like Dishonored or Metal Gear Solid series, enemies go from 100% to 0% alertness if you let them chill out long enough, which means you can erase every mistake by simply gaining some distance and waiting it out. In Thief, if guard ever spots you, finds a body or hears the alarm, they stay twitchy till the end of the mission, going into instant hunt mode as soon as they hear a single step or any movement in the shadow, so to approach them again you might have to spend some limited resources liek flash bombs or moss arrows. It's certainly confusing to the new players if they make a wrong assumption about enemy returning to whistling and taking normal patrol route, but very much realistic in execution. I wish more games would follow this kind of less forgiving execution.

>> No.10672083

>>10672071
Yeah i love that they wont even announce their on you ass, just jump you.

Other games feel gamey, and while theif is gamey in a way they tried to make it more complex.

Aware states are also more varied.

>> No.10672103
File: 1.18 MB, 1920x1080, dump202402062122080.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Been having the time of my life with fms after BP.

Its like finding an old friend for sure, dude i really wish i could pay some of these fms makers. The writing in some is even tighter than lgs at some points. Depends on author.

>> No.10672113

I think that asshole yathzee said one thing i always found true about thief.
There is a voyeristic element about thief which is really nice, its nice to stay in the shadow and just listen to people doing stupid shit.

If a modern game was made with unlimited budget, i can imagine Ai conversations with each other, people with plots, guards with stupid random conversations while smoking or just playing dice. Etc.

And the cool ambiance, and greater than life city surrounding you in a german expressionist noir blanket while you do so.

>> No.10672128

>>10671145
Thanks, I guess I missed it because I remember being in a room with a drill. I'll probably just skip finding the code, the note hinted that it was at an apartment building and the place I went to following the map looked more like a usual noble's manor than an apartment complex.

>> No.10672206

>>10672113
yep, voyeuristic element plays a huge part. I always found games like Deus Ex or Hitman more fun than MGS or Splinter Cell mostly because you aren't just sneaking around from one level to another, you are also rummaging through the personal files of npcs and breaking into their private chambers, violating their digital privacy

>> No.10672213

>>10672206
Yes but it does not feel as good in splinter cell or MGS, mgs feels very pacman.

Thief aimed a bit higher

>> No.10672625
File: 2.67 MB, 1920x1200, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anybody had that problem with Tfix where you can't "quick tap forward" and avoid make a sound? Also, Tfix blocks your attack on a enemy during combat seconds before they run away.

I didn't have any of these problems on Tfix lite.

>> No.10672730

So there contests over the years for FMs, looking at The Whistling of the Gears, seems pretty neat.

Other winners i might be missing?

>> No.10672794

>>10672103
Yeah I discovered Thief fms with TBP too and now this all I want to play for the rest of the year.

>> No.10672807
File: 1.38 MB, 1920x1080, dump202402072243300.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10672794
I dont even care about timeline, I am trying to craft a nice campaign of fms.
Tried Skacky shadow politics, alcazar, then sound of a burrick, now lost among the forsaken whic is already brilliant
Gonna alternate between city and undead.

Already saw a bit of chalice, and omfg the snow like in the end cutscene was so comfy.

Interesting to see that the community crafted a really nice expanded lore of the city\factions and extra locations.

Gonna make a folder of comfy Thief bedrooms I just want to live in cocooned while the city outside goes on.

>> No.10672809
File: 1.91 MB, 1920x1080, dump202402072247160.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

TBP really did create a big standard and I think some missions could be even a bit more expanded.

But some of these fms dont fall too much behind seeing as some of the authors are the same or I have seen have contributed between each other.

>> No.10672912
File: 265 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10670112

>> No.10673059

>>10671145
>>10672128
There's one last thing I'm stuck on, where do I mash up the monkey head? The drill didn't work.

>> No.10673081

>>10673059
there is a woodchipper at the tuttleshank building in the northwest corner.

>> No.10673083

>>10673081
Oh yeah that, I forgot about the hint from that note about the butcher using it to grind up rats.

>> No.10673684

>>10665398
Unique mission to say the least, the record in monkey man's room that supposed to play jungle sounds while clients are doing monkey business made me chuckle quite a bit as well.
Brothel was a crazy mission for multitude of reasons for me, I really wonder whenever Zaya hates prostitutes for some reason or not after playing it, because mission goal says "rob the borthel management's of their ill gotten gains", or something like that, but like half of mission was just stealing jewelry prostitutes keep in their personal rooms instead.

>> No.10673704

>>10672625
what FM is that pic from?

>> No.10673739

>>10673684
I don't think that the creators gave too much of a thought while creating Zaya, she is strangely a non-character despite starring in 14 missions you know much less about her than you know about Hume or Conall after just 2 or 3 maps.

Even her revenge plot seems really forced. She is going through all that shit with undead and big factions, making enemies out of city watch, Hammerites and Mechanists alike just to avenge some cousin she only knew in her early youth before he fucked off to The City? Maybe doing all of that for a father, brother or lover would make more sense but even then, knowing her coming from foreign rich merchant family, one can think of hundreds of better methods than becoming a thief that starts riling up entire town.

>> No.10673802

What if there was an FM that has you playing as a Hammerite that's more combat focused with you doing something like trying to recover an old Builder artifact in a zombie infested catacombs or having to deal with Mechanist remnants.

>> No.10673952

>>10673739
We do get a ton of info on her, entire travel journal written by her as soon as campaning starts even, but a lot of info is sort of all over the place character-wise or doesn't really matter.
Why the hell was the dude her cousin I don't understand at all, by the way, I kept getting confused thinking "Wait, was he her cousin? Or was it childhood crush?" all the time, because crush would make so much more sense than some distant relative when you consider her reaction to his death.

>> No.10674727
File: 305 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10672912

>> No.10674807

>>10673739
Shes a dumb donut steal female protag that everyone is searching and failing.
There are worse even.

I think anyone in their teen years created a special snowflake like her in fantasy fantasies, very cool, badass, cute.

Waifuism is a complex theme.

However I dont hate the campaign.

>> No.10674930

>>10673802
Sounds like a cool idea. If Garrett is somewhat an archetype of classic D&D thief (a guy who knows about sneaking, lockpicking and traps, but still prefers his trusty 1d6 sword when forced to fight) then a Hammerite hero could go into tomb or dungeon with an undead-slaying mallet and some Builder-granted spells for light source, healing, blowing up traps or ranged attack options, Paladin style.

The problem here is that such a mission would have to interfere heavily with the engine, as for the sake of immersion you'd have to limit the character you control a lot (not as fast at running, not as good at jumping or mantling and so on). One can only hope that some ambitious team of creators will eventually give it a try.

>> No.10674938

>>10674930
And we are kinda coming around to the initial dark camelot idea, with the triple build of warrior,mage,rogue.

>> No.10674952
File: 1.54 MB, 1920x1080, dump202402072349300.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yeah whistling of the gears at least until now is exactly what i was chasing.
That industrial town you see in cutscenes.

I find the initial part of kept away from view super atmospheric, the industry that never sleeps, the hammers working night long, the big hammer sound from Deadly Shadows which you can hear in the entire fucking map.

>> No.10675050

>>10674930
Yeah the engine seems like it would be hard to work with nonstealth gameplay, maybe someone could just do something like have the Hammerite have twice the amount of health Garrett normally has even on expert difficulty and that he also only takes half as much damage from attacks and for his own attack to deal twice the amount of damage Garrett's sword would normally do but maybe be a bit slower and have no overhead charge attack.

>> No.10675061

>>10675050
The sword fighting can be surprisingly fun, i think with a bit more tweaks LGS had a a really nice parry\blocking sword fighting game for its time.

Its great how enemies dont wait to fuck you up unlike modern games.

>> No.10675082

I'm playing through thief 2 for the first time and it so often feels like the shadow maps are inaccurate, like the ground I'm on is pitch black, but I'm at max visibility
>>10673802
>>10674930
The hammerite fm sounds awesome also, could be going on a pilgrimage to a holy site or something

>> No.10675102

>>10675082
>I'm playing through thief 2 for the first time and it so often feels like the shadow maps are inaccurate, like the ground I'm on is pitch black, but I'm at max visibility

Yep there is something going on in thief 2 and its the fact lgs was going bown, i know i tried to remove filtering before newdark and the shadows got fucked up and square.

>> No.10675152

I just started Godbreaker and am having trouble trying to find the last bit of loot I need, I really don't want to have to skip it even if its optional because I just only need 20 gold worth of loot but can't find anything no matter how much I keep circling the ground floor and buildings. Its annoying I finished just to check the stats and there's still around 300 worth of loot apparently.

>> No.10675219

>>10674952
looks kinda like auschwitz... I image you have'd to collect 6 million in loot. but that sounds impossible

>> No.10675229

>>10674930
>>10675050
There's a fun Hammerite deathmatch FM with functional bots. It has different classes I believe

>> No.10675238
File: 1.89 MB, 1920x1080, dump202402082125110.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10675219
The city part previously merges really well with the rainy atmosphere.

>> No.10675259

>>10675102
Yeah like I'm playing through blackmail right now, there's several spots that're completely dark but somehow the crystal is at max brightness and guards see me, shipping and receiving felt like the shadows were misleading too

>> No.10675269
File: 19 KB, 640x480, T2_CS05_07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10675259
They do mention having trouble with it. But hey coloured lights.
And its mostly fine really. Mission 1 still shows shadows well.

But its one of the reasons I will settle for a more Thief 1.5 look.

I one could make the game like cutscenes, directional shadows and pitch black ones to hide in would look so great.

>> No.10675401

No matter how many times I see a hidden corridor behind a bookshelf it's always awesome, I love caves hidden behind waterfalls in games too

>> No.10675446

>>10675152
Same on my end, barely scrapped by the loot requirement for Expert and still felt a gut punch upon discovering that there is apparently few hundreds more on such a tiny map.
The hardest part of map to get I suppose is that guard station above the large game as you have to exit the middle window at your apartment, jump from conic roof to opposite beam without sliding down, then jump three more beams to the room above the gate. There is also hidden openable window to your right as you get into the first beam, really easy to miss.

If you haven't started mission 2 yet, small shopping spoiler: purchase as many fire arrows as you can, you will really need them

>> No.10675580

>>10675446
I found the last bit of loot I needed from finding a secret in the vacant room at the apartment with the sleeping rich couple and the guard patrolling the hallway between the rooms.

I guess I'll restart then since I just started the second mission but didn't do anything yet. Honestly I've never used fire arrows in the games, I never kill since I play on expert with the sword being good enough for zombies and other monsters and I never seen any reason why I'd want to light up a torch.

>> No.10675717

Do screenshots not work when playing on angelloader? It did with newdarkloader putting the screenshots in the game's folder.

>> No.10675718

>>10655281
1: The Sword
2: Framed
TBP: Jaws of Darkness

1 has most of my favourite missions in the entire series, like Down in the Bonehoard, Haunted Cathedral, Return to the Cathedral or the Lost City.

>> No.10675732

>>10675718
Based supernatural enjoyer

>> No.10675751

should thief have incorporated some kind of digetic lighting mechanic? a very faint crystal or some kind of natural night vision, having to rely on blown out gamma to see feels a bit cheap.

>> No.10675773

>>10675751
I would use faint eye adaption like in a reshade. Pitch dark shadows are part of thief aesthetically.

>> No.10675886

>>10655349
I like Deadly Shadows more than a lot of people but this is just delusional.

>> No.10675897

>>10655390
>having a 50% chance of getting stuck in a sliding animation and losing half an hour of progress every time you jump like in Deadly Shadows.
It seriously sucks any fun out of playing Deadly Shadows.
>just don't JUMP in a Thief game
Nope

>> No.10675931

>>10668673
Sabo is one of the best OMs, and I used to hate it.

>> No.10675964

>>10675446
I can't believe someone on this site actually used the spoiler tags for its intended purpose. Most people think it's funny to put half-assed "jokes" behind spoilers, like in the OP.

>> No.10676650

In the second level in Godbreaker Is that fire ritual required for anything besides having killer fireballs chasing me and killing all the craymen?

>> No.10676726

Trace the courier fucking sucks

>> No.10676928

>>10675964
faggot .

>> No.10676997

>>10676650
No, you can complete the level and all objectives by killing craymen by yourself and don't necessarily need the fireballs. Just sneak on them individually while wearing their mask, blackjack them and throw them all in the lava. Alternatively, there is a pendant hidden in this level which apparently makes you friend to fire elementals, but I haven't tested if it works myself

>> No.10677224

T1: the cathedral, nearly shat myself when the first haunt i ever encountered started chasing
T2: life of the party
black parade: jaws of darkness
speaking of the black parade i found the mansion in the mission the brand to be a bit underwhelming

i just started t2x due to never understanding how to have it run at a proper resolution before now
>>10658385
yes? deadly shadows is the canon ending, i thought everyone agreed on that, doesnt make it a better game than the metal age though

>> No.10677598

I don't get why so many people really like Jaws of Darkness in TBP. It's got a nice atmosphere, but it's a very linear and setpiece-driven experience, which is basically the polar opposite of LGS design. In fact, that kind of design philosophy is how Thiaf 2014 was made.

>> No.10677609

>>10677598

It felt more like a From Soft level I still loved it.

Plenty of stuff to explore did you go full loot?

>> No.10677696

>>10677609
My first time playing I was 5g short and ended the mission without getting the loot objective. Only to find out that there was like 900 loot still hidden around somewhere. Though I didn't find the craybeast grave or the skull switch secret, and I intentionally didn't get the shadow-guarded scepter because I didn't want to be detected by anything.
I don't think it's a bad level, I just think it uses the wrong design philosophy. At least it does support some sequence breaks so it's not entirely scripted. I was able to avoid getting the fire key and the earth key and still got through. However, those are still singular routes in a linear one-way sequence. Very "modern AAA" design, that kind of stuff.

>> No.10677729

>>10677696

Fair enough, I liked the key sections and felt there were tons of secrets in each area.
Also in Tomb raiding missions i dont mind just killing shit.

Maybe hanging around areas secret hunting, gave the me the impression of not being that linear, although to be fair there are tons of levels from classic fps that are also "linear" without feeling like modern modern contextual jump, cum splattered walls.

But i get what you are saying maybe its a result of trying to cram so much variety, I do wish some sections were bigger, like the endless pit library which was beautiful, the eldritch pit could also be a bit bigger and have more stealthing go even crazier.

Shit I know dromed, they had to release the game one day.

The theme of infinite blackness and the pit library is very cool, i love surreal yet believable shit like that in games.

>> No.10677745

>>10677729
>without feeling like modern modern contextual jump, cum splattered walls.
Okay, maybe my characterization is too harsh, considering that even though the design tries to be more linear, it still does retain the game's systems-based mechanics, so everything that looks like something you can do, you can do. -The inverse of which is literally the reason why cum-splattered walls exist. Games without systems-based navigation, where every possibility of traversal is manually, arbitrarily implemented by level designers, cannot convey the information about what is traversible using any real rules of physical reality, and so they must cheat. If your eyes constantly lie about things looking climbable, there needs to be artificial indicators that tell you which parts arbitrarily are.
Games like Thief, Deus Ex or Dishonored don't need any indicators because everything is what it seems, and mechanics apply universally.

>> No.10677826
File: 1.83 MB, 1920x1080, dump041.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10677745

What would help jaws and I loved it back in the OG lost city is a bit more isolation, clever platforming, although in secrets it has a lot, and the dark engine allowing destruction for said platforming.

In my mind Jaws is a tomb on the precipice of a bottomless dark eldritch pit, things are falling slowly in the abyss, and it woudl end after you witness things you shoudl have not everything star crumbling while you ascend into the daytime. Dark engine simply cant handle that.

I like that they gave layers to the tombs going up and up at least and the smothering darkness.
I would still go more for classic free roam bonehoard\deaths dominion but i liked Jaws.

I do feel like BP devs restricted a bit of themselves by trying to make the levels doable to a returning old thief player or new player.

I wanted more bullshit with some the creatures you see in bp but have limited time.

>> No.10677902

How come the cutscenes and map are weirdly low res in Thief 2? Using T2Fix

>> No.10677948

>>10677902
That's because they are, the game is from 200 dude

>> No.10677990

>>10677948
It is noticeably lower than the first game, I checked on youtube nd even there it looks better

>> No.10678002

>>10677990
The video files are in the game folder, data/movies
Thief 1 uses 320x240 files, Thief 2 uses 640x480. The video on youtube must've been upscaled.

>> No.10678019
File: 1.90 MB, 498x374, viktoria-garrett.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yeah there are smoothing ai upscales out there for both.

>> No.10678078

>>10676997
Well I already got the amulet before I made my post and it did work, they still attack but you become immune to their attacks so I guess I'll play wizard with them since it'll be faster than having to assassinate each one.

>> No.10678108

>>10678078
You have to make sure that those
elementals will pick them clean then, craymen have annoying tendency of randomly running away forever and never returning to their programmed patrol route once they are wounded enough, so if you let one escape, you may find in in just about any place on entire map

>> No.10678130

>>10678019
giwtwm

>> No.10678235
File: 1.52 MB, 1920x1080, dump000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10675717
I found the screenshots, looks like they get separated in a different folder in the game's FM subfolder. I love the Gothic reference in the top right with the bloatfly and swamp shark, I wonder how a FM set in the Gothic world would work?

>> No.10678773

>>10677598
In a campaign that is otherwise entirely huge looping knotted layouts I don't think it hurts to have something more setpiece driven as long as it isn't overly scripted.

>> No.10678880

Just played Disorientation and it was incredible… I’ve added all the fms from Melan’s “series” to my todo list as a result.
Loved especially how it felt like the missing link between Calenda Cistern and Endless Rain.

>> No.10678989

>>10677224
The mansion in The Brand was indeed a letdown.

The presentation is fantastic, I've done plenty of urbexing myself and someone on the TBP definitely took references from real abandoned places because they nailed the atmosphere and looks.
But the whole interior is brightly lit and theres just some standard zombies inside. I was expecting something in line with the hammer haunt manor from Haunted Cathedral or the Cradle, places where you just want to get the fuck out as soon as you can but I ended up strolling through the mansion without any danger. At least the cellar was kinda spooky. Still a great map though.

>> No.10679064
File: 999 KB, 2560x1440, ABetterTomorrow.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

guys, I'm spooked

>> No.10679606

>>10677696
Ever since getting traumatized by expert bonehoard first time I played it, I always make sure play any tomb levels on normal, but when I finished normal jaws I had about 1600ish loot despite not really pixel hunting after getting to 500 goal, it would be enough to clear it even on expert.
Jaws loot goal is low enough to not set player on second lap across that ring level, in theory at least, I guess additional enemies from expert forced you to avoid some opportunities along the way.

>> No.10680421

>>10678108
Do you know where the explosive device to blow up the hive is at? I don't see a dead hammerite anywhere with a bomb near the hive like the other hammerite's journal mentioned in the pagan village.

>> No.10680560

>>10680421
above the horseshoe shaped area with a patrolling ghost lantern there is an area with some swarming flies and dead hammers and the bomb is in a wheelbarrow next to the bodies. One of the tunnel exits, I think opposite the eye flower, opens onto it.

>> No.10680590

>>10680421
It's not quite in an exact area as the hive, you have to return to the tunnels and take a short stroll following your right arm if I remember correctly. Hammerite expedition is on a ledge above one of the other swamp areas and can be accessed only by tunnel. Don't forget to collect the rosary while being there, it's easy to miss.

>> No.10680608
File: 184 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10674727

>> No.10680684

>>10680608
>they wanted an open City design all the way in LGS times
Damn the Xbox and its 64MB of memory :[

>> No.10680761

>>10680684
>they wanted an open City design all the way in LGS times
guess it was a good thing they closed down before they could run their reputation into the ground

>> No.10680773

>>10680761
Life of The Party is larger than the entire City hub in TDS combined. So they already had the tech in their old engine on PC. Imagine what they could have had on an advanced engine on PC.
...and remember, this is a long time before "open world games" were a thing. That concept wasn't yet ruined by generic Ubislop. There would have been nothing wrong with giving more access to the City. The problem that TDS had was the Xbox' limitations first, and trying to connect every mission location through a hub second, since all it did was restrict all mission locations into a small area and it restricted thematic variety.

>> No.10680961

I played all of thief 1 on expert first, it's crazy watching how stages look on normal, like cragscleft has a holy water fountain on the very first floor, the elevator goes up, and the bonehoard map is right in the evidence box, it's like a completely different experience, not having to actually escape too

>> No.10681459

not making benny say "hey bad guy you're not s'posed to be here!" when he sees the player is what caused LGS to go bankrupt

>> No.10681504

>>10680590
Well shit I missed the explosive then because I got the rosary earlier but never saw the bomb.

>> No.10681583

>>10680961
yeah the extra objectives are cool I just hate searching couch cushions for the loose loot goal. also removing the choice to kill makes you feel like less of a pro when you avoid it.

>> No.10681594

>>10681583
>play on expert
>game gives you 50 broadheads

>> No.10681642

>>10681594
Right, I don't get the point of game sometimes arming you to the teeth in purely "human" missions on Expert, but I guess devs just didn't put a lot of thinking into that one aspect. But the biggest culprit in handing out tools of war like candy is probably T2X.

>okay, your job here is to do some spying and planting evidence, do not cause too much ruckus
>by the way, here is half a dozen of explosive projectiles and mines and here is a crystal which turns your water arrows into deadly ice shards, remember to have fun :3

>> No.10681670

>>10681583
Yeah it can get annoying looking for the last thing, I enjoy the exploration aspect though, if the level has enough hidden loot or secrets to accomodate the "running around the level with all objectives complete" it's not bad at all imo, it lets you use all the knowledge you've gathered about the level

>> No.10681698

>>10681642
broads are just cheaper noisemakers to me.

>> No.10681996

>>10681698
This, that's what the devs probably intended for people to do on expert.

>> No.10682061

>>10681996
And you can bully a burrick from a vantage point. Or a haunt. You lose a lot but you have a lot

>> No.10682095

Casing out the joint basically spoiling you on all the secrets and the entire layout before you do an actual job is actually bizarre, it feels like I just playtested the level for whoever made it, and masks is the actual full release with some extra content and visual facelifts

>> No.10682134

>>10682095
Well it has that cool breathing ambiance sounds at least.

The servants are one of the best parts of thief 2, pure evil.

>> No.10682198

>>10682134
It's just that levels should have objectives and be designed around them, right, like imagine going to constantine's mansion to first "explore 50% of the map" and "find at least 7 secrets", before actually going to get the sword, it'd ruin the experience, you'd see all the crazy stuff the first time around and make it feel tedious the second time

>> No.10682221

>>10682198
>>10682095
Another thing someone pointed out that I also agree with was how late in the game that mission was, it felt like a low stakes early mission that was just a random job to pay rent instead of a plot related heist Garrett had to do

>> No.10682229

>>10682221
I feel like the story is not a strong point of 2, like they sure tried to write more characters and intrigue than 1, but it's less interesting imo, and recycling elements from the first game like the lost city doesn't help that

>> No.10682236

>>10682221
Absolutely, I needed a better ramp up, strange bedfellows is not for everybody but even Garrett tones show shit is going down when people re dying form Trickster creatures.

>>10682229
It has some good shit and some bad shit going for it. But the good is thief levels of good.

>> No.10682240

>>10682236
Yeah some cool ideas for levels like the rooftop sections in blackmail and life of the party, the mansions have never looked nicer texturing and furniture-wise either

>> No.10682253

>>10682240
Its essentially an unfinished game, I wish all unfinished games were like thief 2.

I do have a gripe with out the city changed TOO much but its a nitpick, the tone is still there, even the devs knew they went too muhc victorian.

FMs do know how to mix the medieval with the new high class furniture keeping the tone of the city consistent.

>> No.10682286

>>10682253
I actually don't mind the fancy furniture at all, if anything I think the art deco machinist buildings as well as their really royal looking gold and teal uniforms/robots look off, just don't mesh with the dark medieval city with it's gothic cathedrals and little accents of industrial stuff from 1

>> No.10682334

>>10681504
I think I'm getting near the end but the problem I have is I'm no where near the loot objective, how the hell is there 3000 worth of loot in this swamp? I'm not even halfway there yet. I'm assuming after I free the lantern ghosts from their curse I'll finally get the sword and can leave.

>> No.10682417
File: 83 KB, 640x480, TDS_ThiefTrailer_13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I honestly love the City and how the fans grew around it, its clearly 16th century with weird outgrowths and sprinkles of madness. Its easy to say steampunk but its not. its own thing.

I just want to see more of it.

Hang out in daytime.

>> No.10682479

>>10682334
Looks like I was right I got the sword and am almost ready to leave but I only have 1200 in loot, was there some other village or something besides the pagan village I missed? Seriously where the hell is all the loot at?

>> No.10682706

>>10682479
Try to comb the craymen temple as carefully as you can, it has the biggest concentration of loot out of all places and there are two sliding panel secrets which are difficult to find, a single item in that central locked chest which is worth a lot on itself, and the most important upper floor part you have to open with the golden dagger.
There are also two high value secrets in the starting village with monkey men, try climbing as high as you can and one secret in the pagan village, also search the high places. It might be a good idea to remove some of the major threats on swamps to look around, if you have any fire arrows left those are perfect against wood beats, and snakes are surprisinly easy to dispach with a single broadhead if you light your lamp to spot them first.

>> No.10682827

>>10682706
Could you just tell me where the sliding secrets and the key in the crayman temple are? I can't find them, I got the loot behind the gate from the dagger room.

>> No.10683154

>>10682827
Well I managed to find them all except the key and got the exact amount I need now.

>> No.10683370

>>10682286
I think mechanists not meshing well with the world is intentional. Even t2 guards think that mechanists stuff are fucking weird and creepy, they mention it few times durning missions, I think.

>> No.10683586

>>10683370
Maybe it was intentional, but I think I remember mechanist guards just talking about the robots' faces and voices being creepy. I think there's a difference between making something seem weird/offputting while maintaining an artstyle, and just making something very out of place - the mansion from The Sword for example is like nothing you've seen before, but it doesn't feel out of place, it expands your horizon for the setting if anything, similarily the guy that sells you lockpicks in Assassins is like an ugly weirdo, but it's a character design that fits the game's mood, he's not like revolting and taking you out of the game you're playing, right

>> No.10683621

>>10683586
I agree with you, regardless of how many FMs with mechanist elements I've played, their robots still feel out of place in this world. It's understandable that devs were going to add something which will make a substantial difference to the game mechanics and gameplay and I think the style of their mechanisms is really uncanny and interesting, but I'd rather see all of that in a different series than Thief.

There is also this problem where every single mission with Mechanist-protected building eventually turns into "find a key in order to find another key in order to find another key in order to find security key in order to finally turn off the alarm and those damn cameras looking at the main objective". And before you do that, every rooms or corridor with camera is a big no-no zone.

>> No.10683675

>>10683621
Yeah no I think all of these things individually are cool, the cameras and robots with golden faces of their egomaniac inventor, the whole story about him hating organic life to the point he converts his own followers into robots, it's all cool, it just all feels off as a sequel/expansion for thief 1, and continuation for it's characters and world. And you're right about turning off the cameras, but on the other hand that kind of is the gameplay that cameras offer, right? It's like a guard that can't hear or chase you, and you can't just knock them out, it varies up the flow of gameplay so to say I think, where you're not doing the same thing over and over in a level.
I think just making a more functional design for the robots/cameras would go a long way to making them fit in better, cause they just don't look like mass produced security systems, they're like toys gifted to a king or tzar for christmas, it'd have less unique character than the faces, but fit the atmosphere better I feel, like the cragscleft cameras

>> No.10683904

>>10655341
>House of Widow Moira or The Cradle

Add the Museum and basically those are the only "good" levels. The rest are decent (for a stealth title, because thief is still better than most) but bad for a thief game. The bite sized level design is way more noticeable in the other levels. When you look at any part/room of them in isolation, it isn't so bad; But when factoring in the entire structure, it's obvious how cramped and bottlenecked everything is.

T3 still isn't as bad as you think it is. The sound direction is among the best in the series(ambience tracks). The shadows, art/style direction are also among the best in the series. The writing and voice acting are still as good as the other games.

The only real issue is the levels being made smaller for console(also bugs/jank). But T3 doesn't deserve half the hate it gets.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wfMNS2A8QMo&list=PLlDad8qpZy1zmJjg5chBJPmswQ6Jy1je3&index=20&pp=iAQB8AUB

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5ssW0KkNTWo&list=PLC321EDE0D5E8C2D1&index=7&pp=iAQB8AUB

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Md0FLVpdPnw&list=PLC321EDE0D5E8C2D1&index=14&pp=iAQB8AUB

>> No.10683914

>>10683904
OH yeah, I think the writing is a notch below the ogs but that might be console "accessibility" as well.

Imagine 3 on pc or better consoles, they went back to the medieval style just tweak it a bit so it look like the OGs cutscenes, rope arrows again just dark engine\unreal mix updated and we woudl got a great game.

The sound is still Thief.

>> No.10684034

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU8ZSIhc9WE&feature=youtu.be

>> No.10684057

>>10683904
The sound design would be nearly on par with the originals if the sound produced by Garrett's footsteps weren't so dumbed down to LoudAsFuck>StillLoud>CompletelySilent.

>> No.10684590

>>10683675
I have absolutely nothing against wandering mechanic enemies, but I'm not too sure if cameras really add much worth or depth into the Thief gameplay. You see, some of the best missions usually have some guards (let it be humans, beasts or undead) which do long and complex patrol routes, sometimes spanning over a big part of the level. The good thing about them is that not knowing whom and when to expect adds to replayability, and during your first bling playthrough, even if you prefer "blackjack everyone" approach, you can never be too sure that any area is properly cleared out and you always have to be ready to avoid or stand your ground against an encounter.

Guards which do short and predictable patrol routes or just run in circles are much more plain to deal with, and standing guards which just pivot in place are the most boring ones - just make a dash when they decide to intensely stare at the door behind them for some reason. Any stationary cameras sadly fall into the last category - even more predictable really as those usually turn back and forth at given angle, so you can run door to door within the gracious tolerance of camera being in 'yellow' mode. And if you get spotted? Usually the only choice is between reloading the game or accepting to play the rest of the level with alarm blaring in your ears all the time and all guards being in permanent hunt mode.

>> No.10684608
File: 17 KB, 640x360, t2ma0446.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10684590
What Thief 2 needed was exactly those disruption grenades from BP i would even make expensive arrow tip ones that disable electric shit for a time.

In moderation and using the sensibilities of Thief 1 the stuff from 2 worked.

And I like the Mechanists scary servants, they were clearly meant to be evne more creepy with spider bots and other weird shit.

>> No.10684618

>>10684590
Yeah that's a good point really, I was thinking about the situations where you're timing your run under a camera, but it's not even all that different from running across a stationary guard's peripheral vision. I like the system shock mechanics where cameras are part of the security system that you're constantly working to weaken by destroying them, it seems like looking glass was playing around with some cool ideas before they shut down

>> No.10684642

>>10684618
Wandering spider bot cameras that you have to chase if they see you, or the baby seem like a better idea than simple cameras in most places.

Although in a safe for example a camera woudl make sense.

Thief 2 is an almost abandoned game, the fact it has so much cool shit is a miracle.

>> No.10684652

>>10684642
Yeah the baby was definitely more interesting than the cameras, that thing was funny, the one time I saw it though it was completely ineffective cause I already knocked out everybody it could tattle to - the whole enemy type of "tattlers" was cool, the little blind robot guys that ran for reinforcements when they heard you make a sound, if they were blind monsters it could make for a pretty freaky section in a level

>> No.10684680

>>10684652

Its funny i love the bizarre nature of thief aesthetics but i really dislike dishonored. Dont ge me wrong its cool looking and its more 18\19th century since guns exist but its so trying to be cool in a way thief is not.

Even the Guards in Dishonored a bit too cartoony and twirling mustache evil compared to thief regular joes.

>> No.10684689

Do you think its possible to make an upgraded dark engine for better graphics and hardware/software compatibility so you could do a remake that's essentially the same exact games but just simply with modernized graphics as a well to attract zoomers into the series.

>> No.10684697
File: 8 KB, 320x240, garrett2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10684689
Of course that what fans like TDM tried a bit to do. never gonna happen however.

It would be hell, especially if using a pre existing engine, instead of chad developers making their own engine from scratch.

Gloomwood is unity and its really close to thief but its going for retro aesthetics a bit but its in its own nature more flexible than the dark engine.

Sound propagation would be hell to make again, alongside all the other simulation aspects.

>> No.10684739

>>10684680
Yeah was never interested in those games, it does all look really stylized, and you've just got magic powers for teleporting around the level, where in thief you'd have to, under time pressure, shoot a rope arrow and climb on the rafters before the patrolling guard sees you, in that game you just teleport out of view with one click, it seems less interesting with how powerful you are

>> No.10684746

>>10684739
There is Russel in 2 at least and a no powers game mode.
I should at least finish it. But I also dislike line of sight stealth.

>> No.10684750

>>10684746
What kind of stealth is that as opposed to thief?

>> No.10684757

>>10684750
There is no shadow mechanics. Sounds are also less important.
I also hate the fucking UI obtrusive shit like the fucking guards awareness icons, they can be turned off but i hate them.

>> No.10684776

>>10684757
Oh yeah, right, I get what you mean.
The floating icon thing in games is annoying, the great thing about how low fidelity thief is is that you don't ever need any floating arrows or indicators for you to know what's interactible or not, same for knowing what you can climb, you can just see the geometry, having extremely detailed environments often makes this less clear. Guards in thief also very clearly vocalize their suspicions, there's no real excuse I can think of to have a meter above their heads instead

>> No.10685175

Dishonored honestly had the potential to make a fun Thief knock off game but they had to go and fuck it all up. Instead of literally rehashing the first game again they should've embraced the Thief stealing elements and make a game based on that. If they care so much about the theme of the title they can just have you playing as some disgraced noble who has resorted to thievery but I'd prefer for that dumb crap to be dropped instead and you're just some gutter rat thief that managed to survive the plague during the first game. After pulling off some heist you'd get the Outsider's attention (voiced by the original VA of course) he'd mark you for the shits and giggles to see how your thieving career will change with your new powers.

>> No.10685184

>>10685175

They almost had the IP, I think old arkane with raphael if they got the IP woudl make a slower shadow based thief, and it would be really cool. They had a good engine to show the city and make a better game than Thief 4.

Instead Dishonored is a good game but ostentatious and bit pretentious at points. But still good.

>> No.10685273
File: 364 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10680608

>> No.10685442

>>10684750
Thief dumbed down with superpowers added in.

Which is… not completely a bad thing, mind you. Stealth games feel more approachable when you have gameplay mechanics in place for when the player fails the stealth part, and Dishonored handles that much more gracefully than Thief’s combat mechanics did.

>> No.10685498

>>10685442
Its a mixed bag, the low chaos high chaos is shit, and the setting an characterization is not as noir quirky as Thief and feels more comic book.

You do feel like a fully equipped D&D rogue in Thief, you dot feel yourself atually getting better in sword fighting if needed.

In Dishonored you feel like god.

Also line of sight is really meh, sound is meh.

>> No.10685512

>>10685442
You know, I actually thought the stealth-failing stakes and punishment felt amazing in haunted cathedral of all things, because your deaths in that map aren't scripted, and you don't just fail the mission because you got spotted, the haunts just run at you playing animations at 10x speed playing horrifying sounds and butcher you alive, I think it's genuinely really effective

>> No.10685554

>>10685512
I managed to do a sword only run of them with no flashbombs or cheese.The sword fighting is not only tense but surprisingly fun, parry attack, run parry.

>> No.10685597

>>10685554
Oh they seemed way too fast to duel, I just cleaved every single one in the back of the head, was still fun though, that last expert objective to kill every single one of them was like a kick in the ribs after avoiding them the entire level

>> No.10685626

>>10685597
They are not, you can fight them legit. Keep your distance and use more side swipes.

>> No.10685736
File: 947 KB, 1920x1080, dump013.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How the hell am I supposed to fit through these windows? The key I need for a gate is inside it but its impossible for me to get through the window especially with the bad footing from the rooftops. There was another way to get in from a lower building but its locked behind a door that needs a key I don't have.

>> No.10686196

>>10684057
i was rather annoyed by the fact that your footsteps are completely silent regardless of what surface you are on if you just crouch
>>10684590
i believe the alarm stops on its own after some time
>>10684757
shadows do play a role in dishonored, they just make enemies spot you a little slower, looking at the maps it makes sense to me since what dishonored considers shadows can be a bit bright at times and realistically you wouldnt be completely invisible in them

>> No.10686206

>>10684739
>it seems less interesting with how powerful you are
I would be interested in a game that uses superpowers as a way to reduce the reliance on the various contrivances required by one man sneaking mission line of sight stealth. imagine a game where guards aren't blind, deaf, and dumb, or absurdly lax about an armed intruder within the premises, and instead you have to squeeze every bit of utility out of your powers to actually do the impossible(sneak into a guarded facility without being immediately seen and arrested/killed).

>> No.10686372

>>10685736
Don't recognize the map, is the door downstairs made of metal? You can brute force wodden doors without a key by bashing them with a sword, but only the ones made of wood. Also, are there any guards inside? You might be able to get them to open the door by being noisy near it, I think?
Just be careful with saves when you cheese any doors, sometimes they become locked again after loading, or maybe guard just locked the door I bashed down while I wasn't looking, back then, I'm not sure about that, actually.

>> No.10686403

>>10670625
>Feast of Pilgrims
is it just me or is it buggy somehow? I can't climb or jump onto edges, or just barely. a trick I found is that I have to crouch before I climb onto a window sill or whatever. but right now I'm in an apartment that has no open doors and I can't climb out the window where I came from because a bed is blocking my way so I can't crouch.

>> No.10686551

>>10686372
I'm playing the final level in Godbreaker, I'm having a similar problem as >>10686403 which is from the same FM creator. I can't crouch when I try to get in the window, also the door I mentioned is a metal door and there's no guard inside.

>> No.10687474

Anybody playing around with dromed?

>> No.10687528

>>10687474
I am starting to, but I will have to make time for it. its pretty intense

>> No.10687539

>>10687528
It's cool, the workflow of carving out spaces is interesting. Any ideas for what you want to make? I really want to try and make some vertical streets map, that's got both more fleshed out streets and rooftops than life of the party

>> No.10687608

At last i finished the original Thief Duology
It holds up perfectly to this day in terms of gameplay, atmosphere, and even the plot, though it's not anything special, is full of character and well executed
it's really a shame that both games overstay their welcomes with dragged out tedious missions, which end up kinda sucking the fun out of the experience in the later parts of the games
this might be a blasphemy but i feel like the FMs are more fun to play through and i cant wait to try some of them out

>> No.10687649
File: 65 KB, 500x444, full_69532.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10687539
I am thinking of something that is not been done much, people have covered Pagans, Keepers, Necromancers, Mages, Undead, Ancient Civs....

I want to do something about the Barons wars. Military aspect, infiltrate a military camp with knights and war machines a palisade, something related to the baron, the baronial castle in some Fms inspired me.

>>10687608
Game only begins now with fantastic FMs and Black Parade. I woudl say play Deadly Shadows but seeing just the story is fine really.

Yeah Thief story is not unique in any way, its the way its presented and personality. Its surreal bizarre and approachable at the same time. But I do love the Maw of Chaos and Soulforge they are grand finales.

The City with fans and FMs has grown into a marvellous place.

>> No.10687663

>>10687649
>Game only begins now with fantastic FMs and Black Parade. I woudl say play Deadly Shadows but seeing just the story is fine really.
noted. still think i'm gonna play TDS, if only for the fact that from what i've seen , the game looks pretty good.
Gonna play through TBP first

>> No.10687678

>>10687663
TDS first does make some parts of BP better for sure. BP has a shit ton of secrets. But the other way around might also make some lights shine when you play DS.

>> No.10687721

>>10687649
That's an awesome idea, I want to try out some kind of seaside monastery/village/chapel too, the hammerite discussion earlier inspired me

>> No.10687739

>>10687721
The Baron is such a fascinating distant obscure figure, some lore discussion says he is just a paw of the Keepers.
And the City itself is a big sentient glyph and alive.

>> No.10687780

>>10687739
>says he is just a paw of the Keepers.
I thought Keepers had no actual interest in ruling? Weren't they just a neutral group basically just historians wanting to keep recording the uncensored truth of history and keeping a balance?

>> No.10687784

>>10687739
I don't remember any mention of the guy you're specifically talking about except like one guard conversation in thief 2, but the idea of wartime missions introduces some interesting ideas, like you can be adventuring in faraway places and fighting new factions, introduce trenches, fortifications, weapons of war as well, it's like a whole new dimension

>> No.10687804

Is there really a war going on in the Thief setting? I don't remember reading or hearing about any war in 1 and 2.

>> No.10687832

>>10687784
There are more mentions of the Baron.
Not wartime necessarily, more like tackling The City military stuff, now with the cool knight models from BP.

A Baronial military barracks, maybe a spy mission sure in Bohn. The baron commands respect and its clear even Garrett or the Nobles stays away from the him.

Hammers seem to fall in line too.

>> No.10687924

>>10687780
They have not interest, but that does not mean they have the top dog in their pocket if needed.

>> No.10688101

>>10687721
Seaside with some sea and rocks,cliffs would be dope.

Godspeed anon.

>> No.10688138
File: 332 KB, 1920x1281, bocklin_pirates.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10688101
No guarantees that I can realize it but I've had this on my mind, either this kind of settlement on a rock or carved into a seaside cliff, connected to seaside caverns underneath, something like that, probably overrun with undead and monsters

>> No.10688194

>>10688138
Daring.
Hence why i said a military camp for me, i was thinking a military barracks and a roma like palisade with a tent town. Something i can do first on a flat plane.

I boot up some big missions in dromed like the really impressive ones and i get dizzy.

>> No.10688215
File: 1.62 MB, 1600x856, Island-of-the-Dead-Arnold-Bocklin-1886.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10688194
Yeah I need to scope out dromed's limitations and workflow first, scale and texturing of buildings, do a bit of homework and some simpler mansion/street layouts - also now that I remembered that painting is by bocklin, his island of the dead could be cool map inspiration too

>> No.10688286

>>10687474
I’m a newcomer to Thief fms, and I would really like to make my own maps someday. But yeah Dromed is daunting at first.
>>10687649
I would really love to do something inspired by weird fiction tales, like Clark Ashton Smith. Or maybe use another mythos entirely as a basis, like the Cultist Simulator one. Also, missions set during the day and/or in the countryside. I love cityscape missions, but another atmosphere/mood entirely has a certain appeal to me.

>> No.10688290

>>10688138
That would be beautiful.

>> No.10688291

>>10688286
I love the City vibrant night yet tense atmosphere. Some fms capture it really well and the sound of thief helps FM makers.

I love all the games BP used to rip music and sounds, they are based as shit. Arx fatalis, castlevania, silent hill. Fits perfectly.

>> No.10688334

>>10688291
nta, but BP just sounds better every time I hear about it, I want to play through some other FMs like T2X first to really appreciate what it brings to the table though

>> No.10688348

if you'd like to get started in making your own maps and don't mind the obvious differences I'd suggest you give the dark mod a try. Darkradiant is so much more modern and user friendly it's not even funny.
Seriously, even after all the patches dromed is such a time wasting piece of shit to work with.

>> No.10688351

>>10688334
its okay.
Honestly some famous fms nail the thief vibe better. Disorientation, Whistling of the Gears is great as well.

>> No.10688356

>>10688348
True there was another editor being worked on for dark engine.
I must admit there is something about the dark engine i love movement and feel wise.
Even sword fighting.

TDM just needed a killer campaign even if in some aspects its a bit wonky.

>> No.10688391

>>10685736
This is starting to annoy me, is there anyone who played Godbreaker can tell if where the key to the priest's house is? The windows are impossible to get inside, they were intentionally placed to not let you go inside.

>> No.10688659

>>10687804
I Thief 1 no, but it is mentioned in 2 The Baron is returning from a campaign.

>> No.10689231

>>10688659
according to unused dialogue from TG (https://thief.fandom.com/wiki/TG_resources_conversations#Unused33)) the Baron is at war with Blackbrook, and there is also another war between Cyric and Bohn.

>> No.10689254

thief is such a great format for just general action adventure, an immersive sim not held back by stat based obfuscation, I feel like there was massive potential there that was never quite realized by the two stealth oriented games we got.

>> No.10690003
File: 2.69 MB, 1920x1080, dump000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Figured out how to put together a decent dome out of pyramids, should come in handy at some point

>> No.10690482
File: 2.57 MB, 512x512, 1473462978454.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10689254
Yep you are now understanding why its such a cult, that spawns stuff like TDM.

Its a simple D&D rogue simulator, in a surreal yet comfy bizarre noir setting.

I feel like this slow paced immersion with some tense action will return one day in true VR.

that valvel designer said it best

"Thief is the single most terrifying, immersive, and rewarding game I have played and the one single-player game I continue to replay. In addition to the overriding stealth gamestyle, it is loaded with unique elements that hold one in the world. I love the setting, a medieval tech fantasy world that owes less to D&D than to such literary lights as Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance and Michael Shea. It has a spare, but well-crafted storyline, eccentric NPCs, brilliant verse, and unparalleled sound design. Then there are the enormous, intricate levels: Sprawling towns (both populated and ruinous), haunted crypts, bizarre mansions, lost cities, and the finest subterranean sequences in any game the climactic level being a surreal descent that convinced me I had scrambled many miles towards the earth's core. There are countless books I wish I had written; Thief is one of the few games I wish I had worked on." - Marc Laidlaw, Valve (writer/designer: Half-Life)

>> No.10690489

>>10689231
I knew about unused models and levels but not about quotes, somebody should put them ingame with AI maybe. Or in fms.

>> No.10690506

>>10689231
Hey nice.

Hammer2: hm2c0901: Even the Baron doth finally act against evil...when prodded with enough vigor.
Hammer1: Hm1c0902: Meanest thou the action on DeWall's thugs?
Hammer2: hm2c0903: Verily, some have told me it was his own brethren who, in sin, didst turn him in.
Hammer1: Hm1c0904: Thieves betray their own. Now as always.

>> No.10690941

>>10686551
>Godbreaker
yeah same thing with Godbreaker. can't grab onto edges and windows. too bad because it seems like a nice fm. is there a fix I'm not aware of?

>> No.10690945

>>10688138
I forgot yesterday but if you wan ideas for a mission like that i think Ascend the Dim Valley is a nice mission.

It has a custom cgf file in it if you want to turn some stuff on or off

>> No.10690973

>>10688348
I still can't comprehend how they made these levels for TDP on dromed

>> No.10690986

>>10688348
>>10688356

A Thief 1 campaign on TDM would be grand. Is it even legally possible?

>> No.10690991

>>10690986
Probably not, but there is some stuff i dont like about TDM. The sword fighting is meh, and the movement, the way it feels, Dark engine feels better.

There is this acceleration and head bob in Dark engine which is really good, really makes you feel like you are jogging or walking, TDM feels a bit stiff.

>> No.10690998

>>10690973
It looks and sounds cool, thanks for the rec. Do you know of any FMs taking place in snowy areas? Like frozen mountains or far north stuff, I just like those as a setting

>> No.10691010
File: 86 KB, 800x600, t1-endgame-chill.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10690998
In dark engine?

The famous set from sckaky endless rain\chalice of souls, in chalice of souls you start in a snowy City trying to imitate the style you see in the end cutscene from Thief 1.

>> No.10691013

>>10690991
That truly sucks. TDM really needs a cohesive campaign.

>> No.10691016

>>10691013

OH yeah despite my issues with it, I absolutely love it and supported tehm since the very first beginning when it was a mod for doom3.
I mean what other games has such a dedicated fanbase that goes into other engines trying to recreate an experience.
Man I have fond memories of Thievery UT as well.

>> No.10691017

>>10691010
Oh I meant like in either T1/2, the screenshots for those look awesome, some amazing rooms

>> No.10691019

>>10691017
They are an amazing set of missions yes.

>> No.10691231

>>10691010
That place, with the bridge, the homeless man warming himself by a drum fire, with snowfall lighting up the collector towers, that's in the third mission of Calendra's Legacy.

>> No.10691334

>>10690941
I managed to beat the level and I believe that some windows were intentionally made to be impossible to get in. I was >>10685736 and it turned out that I was at the wrong priest's house and not only that but I found out there was a third open window on the back side that has a key to the apartment sitting in the windowsill. I found out about the other priest's house with the gate key long after I already went to the cathedral having to do a falling trick to land safely which I didn't even need to do since I just now remembered the slowfall potion I found.

>> No.10692239
File: 180 KB, 1366x768, 20240213233711_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The notes in TDS can really drop the ball sometimes.

>> No.10692606
File: 320 KB, 600x620, 1493647970243.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10692654

>>10692606
Artemus is a bro tier character and its sad he had to end the way he did since he was pretty much Garrett's only true friend.

>> No.10693080

>>10691334
yeah but I have issues with all windows, ledges, fences, even boxes. I can't climb up/grab into them, only very rarely. It was bad in Feast of Pilgrims but somehow I managed to complete the FM, but Godbreaker is unplayable. never had issues like this with any other FM. I wonder what causes this....

>> No.10693342

The knockout hammer in t2x is funny, I get that the blackjack has a metal ball or such on the hitting end too but the hammer is a bit more visually direct that it gives irreparable brain damage

>> No.10693474

>>10692239

They are written fox xbox players. A necessary evil

>> No.10693987 [DELETED] 

>>10693080
Do you have New Mantle enabled? That might be your problem.

>> No.10693995

>>10693080
Do you have New Mantle enabled? That might be your problem if it isn't. Check the cam_ext.cfg file in your Thief directory and open it in notepad, find the line “;new mantle” and remove the “;”.

>> No.10694036

>>10693995
taff me, that was the issue it seems! thanks man. may the builder keep you in good health

>> No.10695139

>>10655281
1. Break from Cragscleft Prison
2.Life of the Party
TBP. Death's Dominion
T2X. It's been nearly a decade since I last played it and I don't remember much, so maybe Shadowing The Enemy
TDS. Since Gamall's Lair is not really a OM i'm gonna choose Widow Moira's

Finished replaying TDS a while ago. Sadly, my opinion of it is even lower than before. Maybe because my taffing skills have improved over the years I couldn't help but keep noticing it's shortcomings. Tis the first time I played it with SneakyUpgrade and i've made sure to spend a long time tweaking it, but bruh, this is coming from a guy who defends stuff like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky or Mankind Divided: I would rather go through the worst missions from the originals than replay the best from Deadly Shadows.

>> No.10695261

>>10690945
Playing that mission made me realize that Thief should be played without any texture filtering (it's on by default), those old late 90s textures look better ''pixellated''.

>> No.10695283

If you use Tfixlite for Thief Gold are you unable to play FMs? That's what it seems like to be when reading on the thief forum site.

>> No.10695337

>>10695283
You should be fine

>> No.10695339

>>10695337
Cool, I've been using the recent version of Tfix when I TBP came out. If I want to use Lite will it just overwrite the other patch or do I have to uninstall and reinstall the game first?

>> No.10695349

>>10695339
Probably safest to deinstall Tfix first. I remember unchecking the updated water textures because they bugged out with TDP. The updated water/skyboxes are the only options worth it in regular Tfix anyway.

>> No.10695362

>>10695283
no, FM incompatibility occurs with TFix Full, not Lite
T2Fix doesn't have this issue, at least

>> No.10695406

>>10695339
if you're playing fms use tfix, for better or worse the fms are designed around the tfix ai.

>> No.10696756

>>10695261

I usually prefer all late 90s games unfiltered, but i must be honest I really love Thief 1 filtered. I dont know why.

Maybe i need to bump up aliasing.

>> No.10697237

Are there any other multiple mission FMs like TBP and Godbreaker? I've already tried that old FM 7th Crystal and it was alright considering how it an FM it is but I didn't care too much about the ending.

There's no way in hell anyone who isn't a keeper could sneak behind Garrett and knock him out, especially some guard captain.

>> No.10697325

>>10697237
Some Fms make a loose connection with each other as already mentioned. Melan missions, Skacky trio of Between these dark walls\endless rain\chalice of souls.

Honestly a lot of the best fms reference each other and the game in a way they almost form a loose campaign.

>> No.10697405

>>10697237
I can personally recommend Gems of provenance, it has a bit of everything, manors, tombs, a museum etc.
I also found a definitive list of all the multi-mission FMs
>https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140234

>> No.10697442

How is Deaths Cold Embrace overall?

>> No.10697546

>spent 40 minutes in Godbreaker
>still haven't completed any of the objectives in the first mission
wtf am I retarded? where is my "stash"? I can't find it in my apartment. and the Lion's Head Gate? It's closed and doesn't look like it's gonna open.

>> No.10697983

>>10697546
Check your map. There is an hidden space in your apartment with your room.
I liked the first mission of GB, but never finished the second (swamps are… bland). Should I give the campaign another try ? It has the best non-Garrett voice for the MC after all.

>> No.10697986

>>10697983
> with your *stash*
Typo, sorry.

>> No.10698808 [SPOILER] 

>>10655281
1. Return to the Haunted Cathedral (Hammer Haunts are my favorite enemy and Casper the Friendly Hammerite is best girl)
2. Life of the Party (Soulforge is a close second)
TBP. The Long Shadow Falls (best mansion-style level I've played so far)
T2X. ...Of Ill Repute (or The Trials That Shape Us)
BONUS Bonus 3. House of Widow Moira

>> No.10698835

>>10656171
>Remake Thief 3 on the dark engine
PLEASE GOD, SOMEONE DO THIS.
Imagine if they also added levels in between some of the existing missions that were more expansive versions of the sections of the City from Thief 3. That would be so fucking great.

>> No.10698856

>>10660589
I'd argue it's intentional. As Atremus says in the tutorial, "...and moving quickly makes more noise than moving slowly." I like to imagine Garrett is just being really, really careful with his footsteps when you do this.

>> No.10698937

>>10697983
Damn, I knew that fireplace looked suspicious but I couldn't open it. Thanks for the tip.

>> No.10699486

Thoughts on Thievery UT?

>> No.10699993

>replaying Dark Messiah
>finally get the rope bow
>equip it to slot 3 after my melee/normal bow
>start looking up
>find myself wanting to pull it out to try shooting some wooden surfaces to see if it'll work
>tap 8 to pull out a rope arrow
>accidentally quaff a Full Potion because I had that bound to 8
It's the little things.

>> No.10700050
File: 282 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10685273

>> No.10700261
File: 18 KB, 376x201, 1404565890443.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10699993

>> No.10700269

>>10700261
Neat, I didn't think other games would reference Thief.

>> No.10700360
File: 275 KB, 900x1272, Thief DDP 13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10700050

>> No.10700623

>>10700261
I distinctly remember thinking it was a part of a uniform that some in-universe gang of flamboyant deviant robbers would wear, with it being a collar of dubious purpose and of violet color; Doesn't help that I associate the word 'garment' with a type of a gown with exquisite royal laces — attire of drowsy ballerinas who would steal your virginity no matter the gender before swiftly escaping through the window, nothing Garret-like.

>>10665972
Glad it worked out, other people don't seem complain either. Maybe I overcompensated with negative feedback expectations.

>>10669915
Impressive that Shodan's VA had gone through with the concept, I forget her partaking cred all the time.

>> No.10700627

>>10700623
Nah it was a homage to thief, arkane at its peak sadly never got to make one.

Dishonored is not my thing.

>> No.10700628
File: 2.61 MB, 1920x1080, dump005.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A little gothic thingymabob

>> No.10700631 [SPOILER] 
File: 2.92 MB, 1920x1080, Kuvshinov.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10700623
Mugger ballerina topic co-rrelated.

>> No.10700693

>>10700631
I wish someone used an AI filter to turn that ugly CGI into actual anime style animation like in the first two seasons. I just don't like looking at it.

>> No.10700696

>>10700628
Nice progres, are you totaly new to Dromed or did you work with it before?

>> No.10700710

>>10700696
Thanks, I've bounced off a bunch of different editors, the quake one, shocked, hl2, a bit of morrowind, never could stick to a project within an engine's limitations though

>> No.10700739

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc-3S32TPXQ
This is in the works still apparently, last log update from this month.

>> No.10700745

Also, we're on the page 10, thread dies rather fast.

>> No.10700756

>>10700739
Ooh that's so cool! If the thief community could get their own Trenchbroom it'd be awesome
>>10700745
Oh shit didn't even notice - do you guys have these threads often?

>> No.10700757

>>10700739
Fucking hell I hope so, still I have this weird pathology that if i start making an fm, the enjoyment of the game diminishes somehow.

>> No.10700761

>>10700756
we used to have them all the time back before /vr/ allowed discussions about ps2 games. But since TBP dropped, we've been having Thief threads like in the good old days

>> No.10700785

>>10700761
I'll keep an eye out then, hope I can make some fms before the discussion dies down again

>> No.10700793
File: 26 KB, 500x375, theif.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10700756

Considering the amount of crazy pro fms and campaigns made with dromed, imagine if the community had something like this sooner.

I wish.

>>10700785
Bp did create new players, a good ammount, I try to be active in stealth communities like Gloomwood to bring in new players.

There is a lot of games I love and have participated , but thief is the only one I do this shill out of love.

>> No.10700803

>>10700793
If there's one game it's fair to shill for thief is definitely a good pick, without the shilling I wouldn't have heard of black parade nor played through both of these games probably, I bounced off cragscleft 2 different times before sticking through it

>> No.10700817
File: 232 KB, 1280x720, assassin2c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10700803

Its a hard game to get into. But after getting it, and drinking the sounds and design it starts to live in your head.

In many ways, Thief and imsims are a prototype for actual VR games with more adult slower paced tension and action. Thief oozes simplicity, bizarre prose and setting, freedom, adventure all at the same time.

Thief lives in the shadows, despite some big gaming names dropping and talking about it, and being a favorite of game designers.

I swear to god i have seen so many design docs talking about thief.

>> No.10701103

i heard of thief for the first time when my friend and I were into some shady site that gave out steam keys in exchange for points collected in flash games (i believe it was called tremor games), i can't believe i was so close to never playing this amazing game
>>10700817
>simplicity
games should always pursue simplicity in my opinion instead of cutting off player freedom so they can show fancy animations/effects