[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 56 KB, 809x168, why.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1065093 No.1065093[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So in the Japanese version of Phantasy Star the Burgers and Cola were actually just potions. Why the fuck would they change it to fast food for the American version?

>> No.1065102

That's early localization for you, changing things because Americans are apparently retarded.

>> No.1065105
File: 17 KB, 276x251, 1374180424519.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

rororororor
Amelicans ruv fast food, we make medicine into cheeseburgels fo them, make buy game vely good

>> No.1065109

This seemed to happen a few times with Sega games, I think Alex Kidd did it as well. Maybe Sega just like stereotypes

>> No.1065131

>>1065102
Not just early.
Kirby's Dream Land 3, Kirby Super Star, and Kirby 64 all sold well in the US, and then suddenly they started changing the covers so that Kirby is no longer cute, ONLY for the American releases? Why? Why do they think this will make shit sell better in the U.S.?

Kirby's Return to Dreamland and Epic Yarn stopped this practice, and they are also very successful, like the pre-angry kirby games

>> No.1065167

>>1065131
kirby's return to dreamland was in development before Air Ride, was this the development team that got fired or reassigned or w/e before they started making angry kirby?

>> No.1065225

>>1065167
Actually I just double checked on Wikipedia and Return to Dreamland does have an angry kirby face on it. I only own Epic Yarn and I actually pirated/emulated Return to Dreamland, so I just assumed that because he was his normal self on the north american Epic Yarn boxart, that they had decided to just do away with angry kirby. Unfortunately I was wrong

Also no development team is responsible for angry kirby, the japanese box art for Air Ride has a happy kirby on it. It's the stupid localization teams changing it

>> No.1065232

Americans are fat and angry, what else is there to say.

>> No.1065286

>>1065232
Even if that is true, it would make as much sense as giving the German version of Phantasy Star Beer and Saurkraut

>> No.1065312

>>1065093
>actually just potions
Are you blind? The first one is an energy bar called PelorieMate. It's a joke no one outside of Japan would be likely to get in 1988, but now that Google is a thing you should know better. The second one's a parody of some Japanese energy drink. Instead of coming up with an equivalent parody the translators just jotted down some food items and called it a day, which is pretty fair as far as 80s video game translation goes.

>> No.1065349

>>1065286
I'd play an RPG with those as the primary healing items.

>> No.1065358

>>1065312
oh
well in that case I apologize for this thread

the wiki gave the impression that they were medicinal items

>> No.1065859

>>1065093
In the picture you supply it actually depicts a calorie mate and a potion. We don't have calorie mate here. seems pretty clearly that they just chose snack foods.

>> No.1065861

>>1065358
use your brain please

>> No.1066090

>>1065131
To be fair Kirby has been advertised in America as tough for ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqVVG4FCq7w

>> No.1066174

>>1065131
because what kind of 90s american kid would want to play as a happy pink ball thats just gay bro, give kirby some tude and he aint so gay anymore. This is just what I assume when I was a kid I honestly didn't give a fuck haha I just played the games without looking too hard at the cover

>> No.1066213

>As some of you might know, the Japanese version of Phantasy Star has two healing items: PelorieMate and Ruoginin. The name PelorieMate is most likely a play on the product name CalorieMate. The picture of PelorieMate in the game manual resembles a CalorieMate bar, which is a Japanese-made energy bar.

I started with PS2. Monomates and so on suddenly make sense now.

>> No.1066239

I played Phantasy Star 2 first. I didn't play the original game until the GBA collection. But I already knew about the weird burgers/cola thing. It does seem like an odd choice for translation. Most RPGs have potions and herbs. Maybe they just thought it would be fun and different. Although I don't know how Alys and her friends get much energy from scarfing down all that garbage.