[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 49 KB, 800x600, 1_yhyQ1YrZK31OUREdlmozSw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10590320 No.10590320 [Reply] [Original]

Halo: Combat Evolved is the greatest first person shooter ever made.

>> No.10590321 [DELETED] 

Stop spamming this baby shithole shooter with shit guns and recycled levels. If this is you favorite fps you are bad at shooters.

>> No.10590325 [DELETED] 

>>10590321
t. still hasn't evolved

>> No.10590326

It's pretty good. Library sucks though.

>> No.10590329

>>10590326
I won't even deny that, it's probably the worst level in any shooter I've ever played. The rest of the game makes up for it, though.

>> No.10590330 [DELETED] 

>>10590320
pretty sure that's been deboonked

>> No.10590334 [DELETED] 

>>10590330
Pretty unevolved opinion to be honest

>> No.10590337

>>10590329
Can't argue there. I'm still not sure if I like the Flood or not. They make for an interesting enemy concept and when one of the fuckers comes around the corner packing a rocket launcher it can be a great moment of fear because you're like a split second away from getting blown up.

But from my understanding they're actually hard-coded to take less damage from certain weapons, and melee attacks. I think I would have preferred them just being tougher rather than a rock paper scissors style for them and them alone.

>> No.10590342

>>10590329
>it's probably the worst level in any shooter I've ever played.
You have not played very many shooters.

>> No.10590350

>>10590326
Personally, I never had an issue with the library. I might've died like twice but was able to get through it without that much of a hassle (and on console as well).

>> No.10590356

>>10590337
The flood are good because they add a third faction to the mix, making battles seem more grandiose. That one field in Two Betrayals with all the flood massacaring the covenant while plasma mortars and lasers fly around, that is one of the coolest things in the game. It's one of the few times I've felt like I was watching an actual war being fought, in any game.

Aside from that I agree, their immunity to some weapons is kind of annoying, but you rarely encounter them with ample tools to dispose of them so it usually doesn't matter. They're also the only enemies that can be gibbed which complements the covenant who die in more dignified ways. When you kill an elite and watch it collapse, you feel like you've defeated a worthy foe in a sword fight, but when you blast a flood into a million pieces, it feels like taking out the trash and putting it where it belongs.

>> No.10590361

>>10590321
>>10590342
You faggots are a broken record.
>durrrr if you like halo you must be a perpetual 13 year old who doesn'y play any other games
I'll say the same thing I say every time: none of you chodes have played more shooters than me. I've played literally everything on PC, Mac and consoles and I like Halo the best, because it is the best. Hop on Quake 3 right now and I will choke your fucking face Mark MacGrath style.

>> No.10590368

>>10590361
Anon, do you just wanna play more Quake 3?

>> No.10590370

>>10590368
________Yes____
...but Halo: Combat Evolved is still the best shooter.[/spoiler

>> No.10590374 [DELETED] 

>>10590361
>I like Halo the best, because it is the best
You like Halo the best because you are a low skill casual. Anyone who defends a game with an assault "rifle" that can't shoot in a straight line beyond 1 meter is a casual.

>> No.10590376

I agree
The multi-player is top notch
Best ever

>> No.10590382
File: 149 KB, 716x541, Screenshot_20240102-232500~2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10590374
>You like Halo the best because you are a low skill casual
Oh yeah?
Play me in Quake 3 right now: /connect ffa.q3retro.com:27346
I will plasma climb over your fat retarded head and rail your prostate so hard that it'll shoot out of your mouth and hit the wall like a paint sponge. You don't know fucking shit you little faggot. You would NEVER make it in this business.

>> No.10590389

>>10590382
I'm laying in bed and have to work in the morning, and I don't have Q3 installed
>reee pussy
This kid is so bad at video games that he can't defend a position with an argument so he challenges you to a duel knowing there is a 99.9% chance that you will decline and then takes this as the gotcha because he can't actually say anything about Halo to defend it

>> No.10590390

>>10590356
Two Betrayals on Heroic or lower is such a treat because of the bridge and valley fights with all three of you duking it out. On Legendary I'm really just cursing the rocket flood and waiting for it to be over.

>> No.10590392

>>10590382
Did you enjoy your ban from the last thread?

>> No.10590402

>>10590361
>I'm not a perpetual 13 year old who doesn't* play any other games because I've played the most shooters and prefer halo
Tacit admission accepted, enjoy your slow bait thread.

>> No.10590404

>>10590389
>reee pussy
>pussies out
Yeah, that's right gaylord, you're too busy touching your micro peen in bed to back up your shit talk.
>can't defend a position with an argument
What position? You just show up and say "DURR HALO BAD" with no meaningful criticisms beyond easily disproven bullshit like muh guns which is an (ironic) projection of your own shittery. You don't want to have any kind of discussion in good faith, you want to pretend it's 2004 and you're talking to AJ Soprano online. If you want to really talk about the game, go ahead and give me a reasonable argument for why it's bad and I will gladly engage with you. Until then, you can smell my fart, you're nothing.

>> No.10590410

>>10590404
Tell me why the Halo guns are so good that they had to make the assault rifle the worst gun in video game history (it's literally designed for low skill controller players). Tell me why the magnum and sniper rifle are the only guns that can get headshots? Tell me why all the alien guns feel like shit and can't get headshots? Tell me why your precious baby shooter is designed for shooting things in the body because controller babies can't hit the head. Tell me why little casual baby. The guns are all garbage and designed for controller. The devs knew that they couldn't make a fps for console with intricate precise gunplay, and you're on here acting like Halo is a good shooter.

>> No.10590420
File: 71 KB, 640x320, IMG_0704.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There are things that can destroy Halo: Combat Evolved with the ease that I destroyed your mom last night.

>> No.10590429

>>10590410
>they had to make the assault rifle the worst gun in video game history (it's literally designed for low skill controller players)
Oh look, it's the sperg who admitted he's never even played Halo CE from the last thread and "confused it with Halo 2 or Halo 3, but the guns still suck". The Assault Rifle is a great weapon for crowd control and is pretty accurate with burst fire. I shouldn't have even addressed this one because you've never actually used the gun, only the cucked Halo 3 version apparently (because this weapon isn't even in Halo 2).
>Tell me why the magnum and sniper rifle are the only guns that can get headshots?
Why shouldn't they be? It's one their advantages, just like some weapons have their own "special powers" like AoE damage. This is like asking "why can't every weapon gib in DOOM".
>Tell me why all the alien guns feel like shit
Do you need me to post a webm of cutting through elites on legendary in 3 seconds with plasma rifle/pistol to prove you're a shitter? You realize that just saying the guns suck isn't an actual argument, right?
>Tell me why your precious baby shooter is designed for shooting things in the body because controller babies can't hit the head
DOOM and Quake don't even have headshots. Are they uh, "baby shooters" too?
Literally every one of your criticisms is a non-argument where you just call the guns shit, punctuated with "baby" over and over. Try again.

>> No.10590434
File: 95 KB, 657x800, 1697766960506732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

halo: combat evolved is not even the greatest shooter of 2001

>> No.10590436 [DELETED] 

>>10590434
>Return to Castle Jew Lover
lol
no

>> No.10590437

>>10590410
>they had to make the assault rifle the worst gun in video game history
Play more video games. You want to see a shitty gun, go look at the revolver from Redneck Rampage.

>> No.10590456

>>10590429
>Oh look, it's the sperg who admitted he's never even played Halo CE from the last thread and "confused it with Halo 2 or Halo 3, but the guns still suck". The Assault Rifle is a great weapon for crowd control and is pretty accurate with burst fire. I shouldn't have even addressed this one because you've never actually used the gun, only the cucked Halo 3 version apparently (because this weapon isn't even in Halo 2).
Kid I've beaten every Halo on legendary, and since this is Halo CE thread, let's just stick to that. Halo CE assault rifle is atrocious, it is the worst gun in video game history. You didn't address a fucking thing about it. You just said it's accurate (it's not). Show me you shooting something accurately over several meters like a rifle should be able to. You can't because you won't.
>Why shouldn't they be? It's one their advantages, just like some weapons have their own "special powers" like AoE damage. This is like asking "why can't every weapon gib in DOOM"
Because it's a shooter and with shields in the game everything feels like a damage sponge. When the most efficient way to kill an elite is to plasma pistol the shield and magnum one tap, you know the game is flawed. Hell, the devs knew the game was flawed and that is why they introduced the battle rifle and covenant carbine. Halo CE is a shit pile and the devs knew they had to introduce real guns in 2 and beyond.
>Do you need me to post a webm of cutting through elites on legendary in 3 seconds with plasma rifle/pistol to prove you're a shitter? You realize that just saying the guns suck isn't an actual argument, right?
Please do, but make sure to prove that it is legendary difficulty
>DOOM and Quake don't even have headshots. Are they uh, "baby shooters" too?
Literally every one of your criticisms is a non-argument where you just call the guns shit, punctuated with "baby" over and over. Try again
Doom gets a pass for being so early on the scene. Halo is still shit and inelegant.

>> No.10590475

>>10590456
>Kid I've beaten every Halo on legendary
This tall tale again? You tried that last time too, until BTFO'ing yourself and accidentally admitting you never played the game. Do I need to post the link? You didn't use the gun, you get no opinion.
>Because it's a shooter and with shields in the game everything feels like a damage sponge
Because you suck at the game.
>When the most efficient way to kill an elite is to plasma pistol the shield and magnum one tap
In the time it takes to charge and discharge a plasma pistol, switch to magnum and pull off a headshot, you could've killed the elite more quickly by rapid firing either the plasma pistol or rifle, both of which are capable of of killing an elite without overheating. To say nothing of other weapons like sniper or rocket launcher. What you described has a name, it's called the "noob combo". Take a guess why.
>Please do, but make sure to prove that it is legendary difficulty
When I get home tonight, I'm going to upload a vid of literally running straight at an elite while holding down the trigger on a plasma rifle and it will die before the weapon overheats, and yes, I'll prove it's legendary. Prepare to be BTFO.
>Doom gets a pass
Lmao, what a greasy disengenuous faggot. I guess Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 and myriad other shooters get a pass too.

>> No.10590498 [DELETED] 

This is why they should have never let 6th gen consoles on this board

>> No.10590508 [DELETED] 
File: 1.76 MB, 1784x2392, 1661133048431856.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10590498
>he thinks this is bad
I bet you don't even remember the N64 vs PS1 threads we used to have, or shit like Quake 64 vs Saturn Quake.

>> No.10590520

>>10590434
Becomes hitscan AIDS at the end.

>> No.10590553

the real question, what the fuck happened to halo 2?
>enter Halo CE
>great game, fun multiplayer, humble and chill vibe
>halo 2 comes out
>BLOOOW ME AWAAAAY
>*doritos and mountain dew*
halo 2 might actually be the worst sequel ever made. that game is so fucking bad, man. it's actually impressive to me that they leveraged hype and marketing enough to convince 8 million retards to buy that game. it took everything good about CE, flipped it upside down and took a shit on it.
>satisfying and powerful guns? fuck you, here's a bunch of peashooters because we had to balance the weapons around a gay capeshit dualwielding system
>high quality ambient music? fuck you, here's breaking benjamin
>understated art style with futuristic brutalist architecture and naturist themes? fuck you, you're going to the streets of some shithole in kenya
>clean graphics with great attention to detail? fuck you, here's doom 3 on low settings with the plastic slider maxed out and plasma weapons don't even leave marks on the wall anymore
>cool hero that inspires awe and respect in everyone who sees him? fuck you, the first character you see talks to you like a retarded child and a nigger in a sailor outfit insults your power armor
>amazing and lifelike AI? fuck you, here's generic shooter slop with retarded golems that aren't even aware of you when you're standing 3 feet from them
>amazing physics system tempered by scripted enemy death animations? fuck you, just ragdoll my shit up senpai
i could go on and on. fuck, what a bad game. halo 2 is such a piece of fucking shit, holy hell. even the devs didn't like it. the series should have ended at CE. 2 ruined fucking everything and ushered in the douchebag jabroni cult that people associate with this series. FUCK halo 2.

>> No.10590567

It just feels like a rip-off of Unreal with a huge shill force behind it.

>> No.10590571

>>10590326
>Library sucks though.

RubyofBlue's Rebalanced mod fixes that.

>>10590329
>it's probably the worst level in any shooter I've ever played.

Halo 3's Cortana level is much worse.

>> No.10590736 [DELETED] 

>>10590508
this was amazing OC for 2018

>> No.10590758

>>10590553
>clean graphics with great attention to detail? fuck you, here's doom 3 on low settings with the plastic slider maxed out and plasma weapons don't even leave marks on the wall anymore
>amazing and lifelike AI? fuck you, here's generic shooter slop with retarded golems that aren't even aware of you when you're standing 3 feet from them
>amazing physics system tempered by scripted enemy death animations? fuck you, just ragdoll my shit up senpai

Halo 2 was being rushed out the door before they could finish it. Halo 3 was everything they wanted Halo 2 to be.

>satisfying and powerful guns? fuck you, here's a bunch of peashooters because we had to balance the weapons around a gay capeshit dualwielding system

Weapon variety in Halo 1 is arguably even better than in Halo 2, what with the missing Battle Rifle. Halo 2's weapon variety consisted of adding superfluous Convenant versions of human weapons that worked well enough. You had the Needler, which had no equivalent, the Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol, which had a special attack, and that was it (not counting grenade). But then Halo 2 added a Plasma Sniper Rifle that was less convenient than the regular one, a plasma launcher that you could spam unlike the rocket launcher, and the gravity hammer which just has some splash damage. Your gameplay hasn't changed much beside dual-wielding and hasn't necessarily been improved by what has changed. Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle---you had every weapon you needed to work at any range and any situation.

Battle Rifle did everything's job better so there was no point in swapping weapon loadouts as you went as situations changed unless you ran out of ammo

Dual Wielding sucks because
>dual wieldable guns are worthless on their own to balance it
>only specific combos are good
>completely outclassed in most instances by a battle rifle

>> No.10590794

>>10590553
>the real question, what the fuck happened to halo 2?

They set the bar very high with an E3 demo that was cinematics held together with duct tape, they had to restart everything from scratch to actually be able to get it working AND make it as good as that demo. They had something like a single year to do it because the xbox was getting axed soon for the 360. Plus also Microsoft has budgeted a hollywood sized launch marketing for them.
So they had to split the game in half and had to crunch for an entire year to just get that part out the door.

Halo 3 was mostly about fixing all the crap that didn't work in Halo 2.

>> No.10590801 [DELETED] 

>>10590320
Your last thread got deleted

also >>10590321
fpbp

>> No.10590806

>>10590758
>the gravity hammer which just has some splash damage

That was Halo 3. Other than the ones you mentioned, Halo 2 added the energy sword (which everyone wanted) and I think the Brute Shot which was something like a grenade launcher, but I'm not 100% sure if that was in Halo 2 or 3. I know that 3 added the brute pistols that you could dual weld.

but yeah, halo 2 fucked up so much of the weaponry. The battle rifle was removed, the shotgun turned into junk, the pistol got extremely downgraded, and the replacements were junk (SMG sucked unless you used dual weld from point blank, and the other rifle was only so so).

>> No.10590808

>>10590806
Halo 4 had the best weapon balance since Halo CE

>> No.10590816

>>10590320
Greatest? No. Great? Sure. It's a good middle ground between over the top like Quake and Doom but more serious in terms of realism like COD. It will never beat Doom, Quake, or Half-life. Halo is definitely sort of fast if you're skilled but if it's a first time, get ready to duck and cover non-stop which kind of sucks.

>> No.10591096

>>10590420
As much as I love Marathon for its writing, Halo is more fun to play, and I feel like that's what really should count when you're comparing games for their quality.

>> No.10591323
File: 50 KB, 1166x300, H1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10590475
>This tall tale again? You tried that last time too, until BTFO'ing yourself and accidentally admitting you never played the game. Do I need to post the link? You didn't use the gun, you get no opinion.
Looks like we skipped Halo 2 on Legendary because of the gay respawning, but here is H1, H3 and Reach on Legendary in the MCC a few years ago. I like Halo, I just think the guns in Halo CE suck shit. I notice how you didnt post the webm, nice.sdgshd

>> No.10591325

>>10591323
>sdgshd
it's 6:48 and I am drinking coffee now, fuck off

>> No.10591371

Killzone 2 beat Halo

>> No.10591514

>>10591371
killzone 2 and 3 were fucking sick games but they are't om the level of CE and that entire series has been forgotten

>> No.10591536

>>10590553
Halo 2 only used the intrumental versions of the "guest star" tracks at least. Also, you should have focused your complaint on the Delta Halo stages if you were upset about the setting, since the Earth stages obviously aren't going to have the Forerunner architecture everywhere.

>> No.10591538

>>10591536
>since the Earth stages obviously aren't going to have the Forerunner architecture everywhere
the problem is that they set it on earth to begin with

>> No.10591548

>>10590806
Halo 2 had the Brute Shot, the grenade launcher with a blade on the back for melee attacks. Also, the Battle Rifle is just the Halo 1 pistol with a slight nerf, while the new pistol is an extremely weakened version of H1's pistol.

>>10591538
Earth and its space installations were only in three missions, the rest all happened at Forerunner facilities or High Charity.

>> No.10591557

>>10591548
>Earth and its space installations were only in three missions, the rest all happened at Forerunner facilities or High Charity.
meanwhile CE took place entirely on halo, where a good halo game should take place, because the gane is called halo, not "fighting space niggers in kenya"

>> No.10591708

>>10591323
>I notice how you didnt post the webm, nice
This actually wasn't an easy thing to record because there's really no place you can just drop right into the game, get a plasma rifle and immediately 1v1 an elite, but I managed to do it by playing the second level and grabbing a plasma from a banshee elite's corpse. Here you go:
streamable.com/zqohly
The good stuff starts around 1:30. I kill 2 red elites with a mixture of full auto and a few controlled taps to prevent overheating, then I kill a blue elite by literally holding down the trigger and he dies before the gun overheats with a few shots to spare. I think it's time to admit you were wrong.

>> No.10591714

>>10591708
Actually forgot I meleed the second red elite but you can clearly see the first red elite and the blue being killed with nothing but plasma without overheating and without too much effort

>> No.10591762

>>10591708
>>10591714
very nice. that dude needs to apologize. also worth noting that everyone always holds this game to the standards of legendary which was never the intended difficulty. legendary is purposely unfair so the fact you can slay them this easily even on the hardest difficulty pretty much shuts down this gay fan fic people have about the weapons. to be fair you seem like a decent player and your average retard is not gonna play like this but still, thats a gitting gud problem for them

>> No.10591769

>>10591708
>kills 2 major elites and a minor elite in 45 seconds with nothing but a plasma rifle
>half that time was just spent walking
>on legendary
Holy shit I never want to hear anybody complain about this game ever again

>> No.10591773

>>10591708
BTFO. anon on suicide watch

>> No.10591790

>>10590320
>no mouse/keyboard support.
lol no

>> No.10591794
File: 3.09 MB, 480x268, a46065c2a64c099c0dfd84943cbfa17d.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10591708
What an absolute unit. 0% chance that guy responds to you again after this.

>> No.10591802
File: 1.53 MB, 1920x1080, asdf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10591790
>be you
>be retarded

>> No.10591836

>OP makes obvious bait thread
>puts actual effort into defending gaylo and proves he is actually good at video games
what is this, I don't even...

>> No.10591850

>>10591708
>that teabagging at the end
LE MAGNIFIQUE

>> No.10591860

>>10591850
Kek, I was hoping somebody would notice.

>> No.10591885

>>10591836
Truth is the best bait.

>> No.10591919

>>10591708
The sad part is that guy is prolly gonna ignore this entirely and then reiterate the same bullshit about the guns in the next thread

>> No.10591979

>>10591708
did the original xbox version have those little badges showing what difficulty levels youve beaten a level on, or is it only PC?

>> No.10591991

>>10591979
No idea, I haven't touched the Xbox version since 2009.

>> No.10592056

>>10591708
Halo chads: 1
Shitter virgins: 0

>> No.10592064 [DELETED] 

>>10590320
halo made console FPSes viable by dumbing them down significantly, directly leading to the cover military shooter plague, voice chats filled with retarded annoying squeakers, etc.

>> No.10592072 [DELETED] 

>>10592064
>significantly more complex than anything available at the time
>"dumbed down"
I would love to watch you play on Legendary and see how long it took for you to die. You would get fucking raped.

>> No.10592078 [DELETED] 

>>10592072
the retarded kids weren't playing on legendary.

>> No.10592085 [DELETED] 

>>10592078
retardes kids don't matter

>> No.10592105 [DELETED] 

>>10592085
they did when the rise of Halo allowed for retards to infect almost every other FPS with their retardation, like piss slowly consuming a swimming pool.

>> No.10592114 [DELETED] 

>>10592105
That's definitely not what happened. Kids weren't going back to [ your favorite FPS ] for the multiplayer.
Also, being angry at children has some aggressive loser energy.

>> No.10592119 [DELETED] 

>>10592105
>game bad because of thing that happened years later
You're retarded. I bet you think OoT killed Zelda and RE4 killed Resident Evil too. You hate ludo, that's your problem.

>> No.10592137

>>10590320
>greatest fps
>doesn't even have a living mapping community
Just lol

>> No.10592150 [DELETED] 

>>10592137
>you need a "mapping community" for the game to be good
considering the DOOM and Quake mapping communities are filled with literal unironic transexuals, that's probably a good thing.

>> No.10592153

>play 1, think it's hot garbage but i get used to it and the weapons
>maybe 2 is better
>everything is nerfed to shit, almost none of the strats from 1 work
refunded, go play marathon 2

>> No.10592158

>>10592153
low skill, filtered.

>> No.10592160 [DELETED] 

>>10592158
typical fucking halo baby post

>> No.10592171 [DELETED] 

>>10592160
>got filtered
>"halo baby"
you're the same guy who said the guns were shit and got BTFO by OP aren't you?

>> No.10592178 [DELETED] 
File: 121 KB, 720x462, Screenshot_20240111-132520.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10592150
doomxirs...

>> No.10592307 [DELETED] 

this thread has proven that halo haters are unironic retards

>> No.10592397

>>10591708
I never knew the banshee pilots carried weapons, wtf

>> No.10592412

>>10592397
Not only that but the weapons always have full ammo

>> No.10592510

>>10590320
i think half-life 2 takes that crown, but halo is a great game. doesnt deserve all the hate it gets.

>> No.10592573

>>10592510
Forget about the Halo discussion for a sec, I don't want to get involved in "my favorite series is better than your favorite series" wars, but sell me on Half Life 2?
I recently played Half Life 1 for the first time and pretty much loved it, but HL2 seems uninteresting to me for some reason.

>> No.10592663

>>10591708
>streamable.com/zqohly
Is this supposed to show anything impressive/satisfying? You're just magdumping elites in the chest and being careful not to overheart the weapon. I don't see how this makes the guns not shit

>> No.10592676

>>10591762
>>10591769
>>10591773
>>10591794
>>10591850
>>10591919
>>10592056
>>10592307
wrong, he is just shooting something in the chest and being careful not to overheat the weapon (w0o0o0ow, such skill). If this is all he has to "prove" that Halo guns are not shit then he is not doing a good job. The height of skill is shooting something in the chest and not letting the gun reach maximum heat. WOW

>> No.10592679

>>10592676
Let's see you do it then, tough guy.

>> No.10592682

>>10592573
Not him but HL2 is fun because it feels like going on a long and perilous journey through a ruined world full of danger like a classical odyssey. Kinda.
It's comfy to drive a car through an abandoned highway, stopping occasionally at an abandoned building to loot it of supplies and get into fight with zombies and bugs.
The physics are still pretty fun, though maybe a bit overused for puzzles and the AI, while not as impressive as HL1, is still fun to fight and interact with.
Though I honestly think it starts going downhill after Highway 17 and becomes an outright slog once you get to the city rebellion.
Both the sequel episodes both fix and improve the weakest aspects of the game though by effectively re-doing them but good.

>> No.10592684

its online is laggy

>> No.10592691

>>10592663
>>10592676
you're literally so bad at the game that you didn't even believe it was possible to kill a legendary elite on one plasma rifle charge. OP uploaded proof, you got BTFO and instead of accepting defeat you keep banging your head on the wall like a retarded child. it's a good thing you hate halo, because you don't deserve it.

>> No.10592698

>>10592663
>THE ALIEN GUNS ARE SHIT
>*kills 3 elites more easily with plasma rifle than he would have with magnum*
>N-NO NOT LIKE THAT

>> No.10592704

>>10592691
>>10592698
>you're literally so bad at the game that you didn't even believe it was possible to kill a legendary elite on one plasma rifle charge
Can you show me where I said this in the thread? Quote my exact words. All I ever said was that the guns were shit. What does guns being shit mean? To me it means boring and unsatisfying. I derive no enjoyment from magdumping a shielded elite in the chest and being careful not to overheat the weapon That to me is a shit gun. I never once said you couldn't kill an elite with a plasma rifle. You can't read and are a retard.

>> No.10592709

Show me where I said that it was not possible to kill an elite with a plasma rifle. I will wait.

>> No.10592716

>>10592704
>>10592709
Tantrum.

>> No.10592726

>>10592704
you said the alien guns were shit. OP said he would post a vid of cutting through an elite with plasma rifle in 3 seconds. you responded with "please do and prove it's legendary", implying that this is somehow improbable because the alien guns must be too shit to do it. he did that exact thing and now you're still acting like a butthurt baby bitch because you sucked too much at the game to even use the guns how he did.

upload your own vid of killing the same elites with any other weapon faster than he did or you have no fucking argument.

>> No.10592729

>>10592704
>>10592709
>he's so mad he replies twice 3 minutes apart
Lol, bro.
You could've just said "damn I guess you were right" and it would've been over. This is becoming put me in the screencap tier shit now.

>> No.10592739

>>10592716
Not an argument
>>10592726
you said the alien guns were shit
yes
>OP said he would post a vid of cutting through an elite with plasma rifle in 3 seconds.
yes
>you responded with "please do and prove it's legendary"
yes
>implying that this is somehow improbable because the alien guns must be too shit to do it
I didn't say it was impossible or improbable, I just didn't think he could do it quite so quickly. I will give OP credit that he did a nice job with it and very quickly, but I still don't see how it makes the guns not shit
>sucked too much at the game to even use the guns how he did.
It's not hard to not overheat a weapon, this is a basic video game mechanic in many games for many years.
My issue with Halo CE is I derive enjoyment from shooting things in the head. I cleared the entire game on legendary basically using the plasma pistol/magnum/sniper rifle/shotgun and it wasn't particularly hard, I just simply dont enjoy the alien guns until Halo 2 when the covenant carbine was introduced. Do you know why? Because shooting things in the head is fun. Plasma Rifle = no headshot, Covenant Carbine = headshot

>> No.10592746 [DELETED] 

>>10592739
>Not an argument

You don't argue with children crying and screaming.

>> No.10592748

>>10592739
>I will give OP credit that he did a nice job with it and very quickly
>...but I still don't see how it makes the guns not shit
you are so full of shit
holy fuck dude just take the L

BTW this dude mixed up halo 1 with halo 3 in the last thread so that's how reliable this dude's argument is. you are a fucking retard for not just walking away at this point

>> No.10592750 [DELETED] 

>>10592746
Good retort for Halo CE alien guns not being enjoyable

>> No.10592751

>>10592739
>it was just an assmad Halo 2 faggot all along
this explains everything

>> No.10592752

>>10592748
What don't you understand about part of a fps being good is having guns that feel good to use? Shooting something in the body and not overheating a gun is not enjoyable. Halo didnt become good until Halo 2.

>> No.10592754

>>10592748
Yeah I was going to say he got proven wrong and w proof and a video and still says: I don't see how. Why do Halo haters get so assblasted?

>> No.10592757

>>10592751
Who would have known that when a shooter game has good guns the shooter becomes a good game

>> No.10592762 [DELETED] 

>>10592748
>you are a fucking retard
says the kid shilling Halo CE as a good fps

>> No.10592765

>>10592752
the guns are great.
you suck at using them.
you suck so much you thought it was hard to kill an elite with a plasma.
you got proven wrong and you continue throw a fucking fit.
you don't like halo's guns? great, congrats faggot, plenty of people do. maybe you'd like them more if you could use them well.
end of story.

>> No.10592773

>>10592765
>the guns are great.
the magnum, the shotgun, the sniper rifle, and the rocket launcher are the fun guns to use in this game. plasma pistol is alright for the alt fire
>you suck at using them.
it's not hard to do what you did, but why would I do that if I derive no enjoyment from it? bodyshotting and letting go of the trigger before it overheats is not interesting to me in any way, shape, or form
>you suck so much you thought it was hard to kill an elite with a plasma
how can I suck if I steam roll through your shitty game? you get a bit of credit for being autistic enough to enjoy this mediocre fps though
>you got proven wrong and you continue throw a fucking fit.
fit? I'm just having fun arguing with you over your autism about this mediocre fps, seems like you're the one angry and trying to defend your mediocre fps games honor
>you don't like halo's guns? great, congrats faggot
yup, I don't
>maybe you'd like them more if you could use them well.
end of story.
I want to shoot things in the head with precision and grace, I don't want to magdump things in the body while pretending that letting go of m1 before the bar hits 100 makes a gun not shit

>> No.10592776

>>10592773
maybe someone else has the patience to read through these buttmad essays but i dont. you keep acting like you dont suck at the games but you thought the best way to kill an elite was the fucking noob combo and then when somebody posts a video of casually melting 3 elites with a rifle you have a panic attack. you are a complete clown.

>> No.10592779 [DELETED] 

>>10592776
>essays
kek, the zoomer reveals himself. That five sentences. No wonder you love Halo so much.

>> No.10592785 [DELETED] 

>>10592779
jesus dude.

>> No.10592802

>>10592754
My theory is that most people who hate Halo had a high school bully that liked it.

>> No.10592843

>>10592785
Look man, I'll drop the 4chan retard stuff and be serious with you. When I say the guns are shit, you go on the defensive because you like Halo CE a lot, but you really don't have to. When I say the guns are shit, I just mean I don't enjoy ~1/2 of them, because I really do like shooting things in the head. I'm a CS retard that loves precision and one taps, this is why I prefer Halo 2 and beyond with the battle rifle/dmr and the covenant carbine. I just derive no enjoyment from shooting things in the body. That video you posted is cool, I respect your enjoyment of the game, but I have no interest in shooting things in the body like that. My love of precision and shooting things in the head is why I don't like the assault rifle in Halo as well. My love of precision and shooting things in the head is why I enjoy sniper in TF2 so much. I have ridiculous aim and enjoy running/jumping around like an ape and hitting retarded dirty quickscope flickshots on peoples faces. Halo is a very different kind of fps from what I normally enjoy, but I still enjoy it on some level. As much as I hate ~1/2 of the guns, I enjoy Halo enough to play Halo CE, 2, 3, and Reach. They are fun games, just different from what I normally enjoy. I like those Halo games enough to play them on Legendary, I like the vehicles, I like the grenades, I like the elites being smart worthy opponents, I just don't ever want to shoot them in the body. I'm sorry for shitting up your Halo threads when you just want to talk about a game you like.

>> No.10592906

>>10592843
>I've shit up 3+ Halo threads because I don't like shooting things in the body
I respect your sincerity but you are legitimately retarded and you need to take a break from this website.

>> No.10592915
File: 111 KB, 670x351, Screenshot_20240111-191203~2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10592802

>> No.10592930

>>10590320
i like it too but my favorite shooter is stalker shadow of chernobyl

>> No.10592967

>>10592906
Respectfully, the only Halo threads that I have posted in recently have been this one and the one last week. Someone else was shitting up the other ones.

>> No.10593248 [DELETED] 
File: 26 KB, 460x215, rs3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10592064
>directly leading to the cover military shooter plague
throwing stones in a glass house

>> No.10593379

Best part of this thread is the one anon challenging people to play Quake and the other anon's being giant pussies lmao

>> No.10593592

>>10593379
I've played Quake. It's fine, love the level textures and soundtrack. Mazelike design kinda blows though.

>> No.10593608 [DELETED] 

>>10590508
Always something off with a goystation fanatic. Truly are golem.

>> No.10593716
File: 8 KB, 187x269, hl1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A better choice for 2001.

>> No.10593832

>>10593716
lmao
i can't even tell what's a shitpost anymore

>> No.10593839

>>10590520
RTCW Enemy Territory was one of the best team fps gmes ever made though, and it ended up being released for free.

>> No.10593841

>>10593839
>one of the best team fps gmes ever made though
yeah, no

>> No.10594125

>>10591708
Grabbing the plasma gun from the banshee was a neat idea.

>> No.10594878

campain is underrated and mp is overrated

>> No.10596117 [DELETED] 
File: 453 KB, 408x580, floiglo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10596330

>>10591514
3 was terrible, KZ is a series that had ONE good game and that was 2. 2 delivered on a promise that went back to the ps2 game Killzone to release and actual next gen Halo Killer.

>> No.10596401 [DELETED] 

Not codex approved

>> No.10596849

>>10591979
Those were present on the original Xbox version when selecting levels, that's how you could prove you completed a level to friends.

>> No.10596854 [DELETED] 

/vr/ really has become a parody of itself.

>> No.10596857

>>10592663
He proved that the weapon was actually useful, something you claimed it was not. Furthermore, being careful not to overheat a plasma weapon can involve careful timing to optimize the rate of fire, a different challenge than just making sure you have enough bullets in a magazine when you start firing.

>> No.10596858

>>10591557
Combat Evolved's first mission wasn't on the Halo installation at all, and half of Truth and Reconciliation and Keyes was on a Covenant ship.

>> No.10596860

nothing has yet surpassed the original FEAR
probably nothing ever will either

>> No.10597054

>>10596858
>a space ship heading into the halo and a space ship 500 feet above the halo
clearly the same thing as kenya, right you fucking faggot?

>> No.10597058 [DELETED] 

>>10596854
Why's that? Because somebody likes something you don't like? This thread has arguably had more meaningful discussion about a RETRO GAME than most threads do.

>> No.10597065 [DELETED] 

>>10596860
bro fear is a legitimately shit game. it's mobile app store Unity tier. it doesn't even have fucking muzzle flash for weapons. the entire game is playing hide and seek in an office building. get the fuck out of here.

>> No.10597067

>>10596330
>3 was terrible
if think 2 was good then you can't think 3 was "terrible". the multiplayer was dumbed down since they got rid of badges, but the campaign slaps the fucking shit out of 2 and it has the best MP maps.

>> No.10597072

>>10590320
Halo 1 singleplayer was a slog.

>> No.10597073

>>10590434
Absolutely laughable that u would put this even in the thread. Played both recently and it’s offensive how bad this game is after the initial castle escape. How does a pc game from 2001 rip off an entire level from Goldeneye 64 and make it worse.

>> No.10597076 [DELETED] 

>>10597065
This opinion is wrong. Totally discarded.

>> No.10597082

>>10592739
In multiplayer u can down someone w full health and shields in 3 precision head shots. Pretty sure you can do the same to elites. Usually the complaints I hear about Halo is how OP the pistol is headshots. I’d have to test it again but maybe another anon has done it recently and can confirm: can’t you down an elite in 3 headshots from the pistol?

>> No.10597084 [DELETED] 

>>10597076
>no argument

>> No.10597113 [DELETED] 

>>10597084
U: buzzword buzzword buzzword, no argument to respond to

>> No.10597119 [DELETED] 

>>10597113
>buzzword
what buzzwords? mobile app store is a "buzzword" now? tell me what i said that's wrong. you can't. you're an ESL that stole a copy of the game in 2007 and played it on your cigarette-discolored Dell desktop because you had nothing else and became attached to it. viewed through any objective lens, it's a piece of fucking shit. kill yourself you dumb golem.

>> No.10597190 [DELETED] 

>>10597119
Lmao the projection is so real. Touch grass and a woman that’s not your own mom. “Oh knooows a stranger on the internet said more buzzwords and told me to kill myself” lol!

>> No.10597192 [DELETED] 

>>10597190
you're mad and fear will never be good lol

>> No.10597206 [DELETED] 

>>10597192
And ur doing nothing but trying to derail a thread. Everyone point at the troll and laugh at how he demands people kill themselves. I hope people don’t let this faggot who never leaves his room derail the thread.

>> No.10597209 [DELETED] 

Halo was never good

>> No.10597210 [DELETED] 

>>10597206
>posts about fear in a halo thread
>u-ur derailing
no muzzle flash lmao

>> No.10597217 [DELETED] 

>>10597209
The truth is, you were never good at Halo.

>> No.10597264 [DELETED] 

>>10597210
Seriously, all that hate and lack of sun is unhealthy. Halo CE is the best fps ever no debate it’s an “objective” fact.

>> No.10597297 [DELETED] 

>>10597217
The truth is you are an autistic mutt who will defend your waifu like a rabid animal, as evidenced by your posts in this thread, and I don't really have the time or energy to argue with autistic incels on the internet today.

>> No.10597308 [DELETED] 

>>10597297
Where did the big bad Master Chief touch you? The penis? The buttock?

>> No.10597373
File: 184 KB, 1913x1076, imgs_touch(1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10590320
Halo 3 was peak. No, I am not a zoomer. Yes, I played 1-3. 3 had the best balance of available weapons and the best mechanics/graphics. The multiplayer was fucking amazing.

>> No.10597380

>>10597373
OP here, I started with 3 actually. Multiplayer was indeed awesome, I probably spent 200 hours on Valhalla splitscreen with my buddies alone. The campaign was complete ass though. Campaign and MP taken together, CE is the better game.

>> No.10597410 [DELETED] 

Halo is impressive only in that it’s success singlehandedly destroyed the first person shooter genre

>> No.10597418 [DELETED] 

>>10597410
>destroyed the genre by being different from the dozens of identical 90s shooters
>games like DOOM 3 and Half Life 2 still being made well into the late 2000s that take almost nothing from Halo
Call of Duty 4 is what ruined the genre. I'm so tired of this fan fic.

>> No.10597567 [DELETED] 

Halo CE is a gold standard game on the level of OoT, RE4 and every other 10/10 ludokino that filters nostalgiafaggot boomers with full diapers

>> No.10597742

>>10590553
Are you on drugs? Halo 2 had busted weapons. Sword was insanely overpowered, especially since you could fly halfway across the map to kill someone with the flying sword glitch. Shotgun online was god thanks to host advantage. Sniper because of snipe swipping. Then there were the glitches, most notably post-update Battle Rifle with the one-hit quad-shot. The glitched out BR made every game BR-only as it was the only viable weapon. Everyone running around double-shot and quad-shooting each other. Could also just do the BXR combo for a split second instant kill.

>> No.10599817

>>10597373
Halo 3's weapon balance was poor; all you need is the BR. Same applies to Halo 2.

The weapon sandbox is fun in both titles, but hardly balanced.

>t. level 46 in Hardcore in Halo 2, 5 star Gen in Halo 3 w/ 50's in TS, TH, Doubles, SWAT, etc.

>> No.10600831
File: 604 KB, 612x924, Screenshot_20240114-162757.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Daily reminder that Master Chief is a GMO cyborg and not a regular human. They retconned him to be le sad misunderstood hero in future games, which is blasphemy, because Halo CE makes it very clear that he is as much a robot as a human. Consider the following:
>the instruction manual states that Master Chief is a genetically engineered and TECHNOLOGICALLY ENHANCED soldier bred to have better eyesight, reflexes, etc., irregardless of the mjolnir armor
>if you kill captain keyes, Cortana will say you've gone "rampant", which in the confine's of Halo's own lore refers to an AI decaying and going insane
>sometimes a soldier will say "Look, a Mk V!" when they see you, as if referring to a machine rather than a man
>perhaps the best evidence is found in Grunt chatter: they will call you a "cyborg" outright, and have multiple phrases referencing you as such
This is one of many things CE got right and they fucked up in future game's. It was cool thinking of Chief as a sort of soulless husk designed only for battle, rather than some emo faggot trying to be jesus.

>> No.10601027

>>10590320
You know, I just played co-op campaign with my dad, his first time playing, and I think I might have to just agree. I want to be level headed and objective about it, fair to all the other great shooters out there, avoid personal bias and form a carefully balanced opinion...
But the fact that I can hand a controller to my dad, who doesn’t play videogames, that we can play couch co-op and he could learn the game and we were having a great time within a few minutes: I think that’s a strong argument for it being “the best”.
Easy to learn, hard to master, great co-op...

>> No.10601092

>>10600831
I always saw Chief in the same vein as the Mjolnir Cyborg from Marathon. He might very well be the same crazy resurrecting eternal hero, honestly.

>> No.10601119

>>10597067
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko8WgF0XVLc

>> No.10601130

>>10600831
I feel like they respected this in 2 & 3 as well right? I remember most Halo fans in 2008 believed the same information as you just posted, at what point did people start to see Chief as a divine human guy? Haven't been into the franchise in a long time

>> No.10601167

>>10601130
They pretty much dropped the cyborg aspect entirely starting in Halo 2, he just became "genetically enhanced" but grunts stopped calling him cyborg and characters started referring to him in more casual human ways. Then in Halo 3 he became muh lucky star picked by cortana for his jeebus traits and then by halo 4 he was a gay little boy raised by a grandma. They fucked it up so hard.

>> No.10601169

>>10600831
thats true but, Chief is seen as being special because he is the only surviving Spartan and he rallies humanity to fight the Covenant.
So he is seen as a very lucky war hero or like Moses.

>> No.10601180 [DELETED] 
File: 187 KB, 602x792, 1325829335448.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10590320

>> No.10601186

>>10601167
nah thats bullshit stop making stuff up

>> No.10601187 [DELETED] 

>>10601180
>this stale shit
Get with the times. Evolve.

>> No.10601194

>>10601186
It's not bullshit, it's a fact. Grunts have 4 different phrases referring to him as cyborg in CE and 0 in future games. Any description of him being technolotically enhanced was removed from the Halo 2/3 manuals. He's never referred to as John in CE, only later games. CE is the only game that considers him a cyborg.

>> No.10601195 [DELETED] 

>>10601187
Stale, much like Halo.

>> No.10601201 [DELETED] 

>>10601195
>Floiglo
>stale
It literally just came out. Have you even reached Level 50 Floig Master in online MP yet? Get real, faggot.

>> No.10601221

i think halo is a pretty cool guy, eh kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything

>> No.10601231

>>10590320
Could be. Quite amazing and very popular.

>> No.10601240

>>10601092
Halo is 100% a continuation of Marathon, right down to the Marathon logo in the Halo logo. Whether Chief is the same cyborg or just the "newest model" is up for debate but I like to think he wakes up in cryostasis in CE after his adventures in Marathon; backed up by the fact his Mk V suit is seemingly new to him despite the fact he was sleeping, and he's already like 45 years old in CE.

>> No.10601271

>>10601027
Sounds like you have a cool dad and angoos relationship with him. Cherish those times anon.

>> No.10601273

>>10601240
Checks out, also with that bullshit Guilty Spark was talking about Chief being a reclaimer and the two of them having some past history together.
I fucking love the weird reality/time jumping bullshit of Marathon.

>> No.10601291

halo is so cool bros. i don't know how anybody could hate this game.
t. grew up with doom 2, quake 2 and half life and still love combat evolved

>> No.10601295

>>10601273
Now I want to find some autist's "Proof that Halo is a sequel to Marathon" blog page and see just how deep the connections go.

>> No.10601298 [DELETED] 

>>10593248
>t. never played Rainbow Six 3

>> No.10601305

>>10601167
Damn that sucks, ruined my head canon a bit for 2 & 3. I always thought when I was younger that they stayed true to the original idea.

>> No.10601316

>>10601305
I mean to be fair they don't outright say he isn't a cyborg in 2/3 so he still could be, they just don't explictly mention him being one like they do in CE. The sad reality is that Halo 2 had Breaking Benjamin music in it and was featured in Mtn Dew and Taco Bell ads, so their priority unfortunately shifted to creating some "iconic human character" with no reverance for the actual plot that CE established. To me, CE is the only one with lore that actually matters and everything else is a multiplayer expansion. Chief will always be a cold, calculating robot in my mind.

>> No.10601324
File: 128 KB, 800x397, 215142996_22jgm-L-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10601328

>>10601324
penny arcade was so fucking gay

>> No.10601330

>>10601328
They were 100% on that take though, which was a common one about Halo at the time.

>> No.10601335

>>10601330
>They were 100% on that take though
no. you're retarded, they were retarded.

>> No.10601338

>>10601324
The giant controllers are still funny.

>> No.10601339

>>10601316
>Chief will always be a cold, calculating robot in my mind

Well said.

>> No.10601396

>>10590320
it's fun but nowhere near the greatest, if anything, it's

>> No.10601403

>>10601396
it's what?
THEY GOT HIM, BOYS

>> No.10601405 [DELETED] 

>>10601335
Quiet child

>> No.10601409 [DELETED] 

>>10601405
settle down retard

>> No.10601414

This game saved me from opiate addiction and pulled me out of a deep, suicidal depression.

>> No.10601427
File: 39 KB, 412x407, 1394584883175.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10601335
Dude, you have no idea just how much of a negative reception MS and the Xbox had in the first couple of years of its life to the gaming forum denizens online back then. It was seen as a menace due to MS's terrible reputation up to that point (commonly known as M$ back then) and Halo was a common punching bag to represent the Xbox, especially among PC Gamers who quickly scoffed at it compared to the more visually diverse landscapes and fast gameplay they were use to along with what they saw as a demographic of casuals who were linked to it (see: the frat dude bro community). I don't care if you want to deny this or not or throw a tantrum, that was the reality of how people perceived it.

>> No.10601428

It's Halo 2, but I still think this is a classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bp4TvsdfjY

>> No.10601440

>>10601427
yeah, see, i don't really give a fuck. how it was perceived by a few sour, pimpled longhairs in 2001 does not change the fact that saying the entire game is just 'the same level over and over' is blatantly untrue and retarded.

>> No.10601445

>>10601428
>Halo 2
See: >>10590553
You're crazy if you think 2 is better than CE. 2 isn't even a good game to begin with.

>> No.10601450

>>10601445
Nevermind, I thought you were replying to OP saying Halo 2 was the greatest. I did a retarded.

>> No.10601452

>>10601450
Jumping to conclusions of other Anons saying stupid shit is a pretty common practice here, Anon.
I can't judge Halo 2 though, it's been so fucking long since I last played it.

>> No.10601471
File: 68 KB, 640x848, appreciating-halo-ces-y2k-aesthetic-v0-xkfr22tqt4r81.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reminder for you faggots who no longer have an Xbox (or like me, never had one to begin with). Halo CE on PC is fucking awesome and you can be playing it 5 minutes from now.
>1. Download Halo: Combat Evolved from here: https://gamesnostalgia.com/game/halo-combat-evolved
>2. Extract, install.
>3. Download Chimera mod, which fixes a few bugs on modern hardware and adds a few quality of life features like being able to change the FOV. You can find it here: https://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/6916-chimera-download-source-and-discord-updated-2022-03-12/
>4. Extract to your Halo root folder, when asked if you want overwrite the files, just select yes for all.
>5. Run halo.exe, make a profile, adjust settings as desired.
>6. Play and enjoy.
You can also download "Halo CE Refined" if you want to restore some of the visual effects from the OG Xbox version. I don't use this because I kind of like it the way it is, but it's there of you want it. Either way, have fun.

>> No.10601473

>>10590434
what is with these contrarian takes nowadays. It's ok to say that your plain bored of halo, but stop claiming worse games are better. It's all I see on here anymore. I will give you credit where it's due. At least it's not as if you're praising oni. that game suck

>> No.10601476

>>10601440
I love Halo but it did remix 2 levels wholesale and often have samey rooms. Assault on the Control Room and Library interiors can feel samey. I think most FPS suffered from this to some extent though

>> No.10601482

>>10601476
i'm not gonna even try to defend the library but that's one level of the game. AotCR and two betrayals are pure kino though.

>> No.10601530

>>10601414
>Halo saved me from an opiate addiction
Okay Jethro, what happened?

>> No.10601595

>>10601530
You'll prolly call me a faggot, but here it goes: I have severe OCD that manifests as constant intrusive thoughts. For no reason, I'll randomly think about something like my parents fucking, and this mental image will nag me every day for weeks or months. Sometimes it's really abstract shit, like an untextured 3D cube with horse legs, a clown's head and a giant purple neon cock galloping in a vaporwave landscape while "Don't Stop Believing" plays in my head. I tried to get help but nothing worked and I strongly contemplated suicide for awhile.

About a year ago, I got injured at work and was prescribed oxy for the pain. I started taking them daily and I noticed that they actually helped keep the thoughta at bay, so I kept getting them long after the pain went away. Over time though, they started to make the thoughts even worse and I couldn't go a day without the dope so I realized I needed to stop. I basically locked myself in a room and withdrew over the course of about 4 days. When I got over the worst of it, I went through a period of manic depression and anxiety for several weeks.

One night while I was sitting around in a depressed stupor, I decided I would download a game. I remembered watching a friend play Halo on his Xbox around 2004. I figured, hey, might as well download it for shits and giggles, so I did. I spent the next few weeks playing it, and the experience I had was so therapeutic that it pulled me out of my depression.

It's hard to explain, but there is something extremely therapeutic about this game. The aesthetics are calming, the music is calming, even little things like the way a marine will say "Keep it up, bro.", just feels so healing and reassuring. Long after I beat the campaign, I would load a level or a multiplayer map just to look around and listen to the birds or the wind in the background. The serenity of this game helped fix me. I've been clean a year now, and my intrusive thoughts aren't nearly as bad aa they used to be.

>> No.10601606 [DELETED] 

>>10601440
>by a few sour
I think you're over inflating the relevance of the Xbox before the 360.

>> No.10601609 [DELETED] 

>>10601440
>I don't really give a fuck
Your anger says otherwise
>by a few
I think you're over inflating the relevance of the Xbox before the 360.
>sour, pimpled longhairs
Some irony here considering you're on /vr/ of all places.

>> No.10601613 [DELETED] 
File: 26 KB, 500x380, 41XyE6W5ofL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10601606
>>10601609
>"Your anger says otherwise"
>responds twice in a row

>> No.10601618 [DELETED] 

>>10601613
>reacts with a redditcomic
Shit, no wonder you're such an ardent defender of this game.

>> No.10601619 [DELETED] 

>>10601618
>redditcomic
that pic predates reddit by nearly a decade you retarded newfaggot nigger. holy shit, kill yourself.

>> No.10601620 [DELETED] 
File: 119 KB, 668x1362, 1325622940502.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10601619
You're not fooling anybody.

>> No.10601628 [DELETED] 

>>10601620
>calls ancient reaction pic reddit
>has heat-n-serve actual reddit reaction pic on hand and ready to go

>> No.10601630 [DELETED] 

>>10601628
2010 isn't ancient.

>> No.10601632 [DELETED] 

>>10601630
>he googled it and thought it was made in 2010
lmao

>> No.10601635 [DELETED] 

>mod posting in the thread and trying to clean up his owm reddit diarrhea
screenshotted. embarassing.

>> No.10601638

>>10601473
When did I say I was bored of halo or that it's not a great game? You're the contrarian trying to start shit for no reason right now

>> No.10601767

>>10601482
>>10601476
I will say, despite the Library being dull and repetitive, it's much shorter than I remember. I guess dying in it as a kid made it feel terribly long.

>> No.10601821

>>10592573
What's to say? It's one of the greatest games ever made. The gunplay is tight and satisfying, the enemies are smart and difficult to deal with later in the game, the atmosphere is incredible, completely nailing the dystopian future vibe in a unique and artistic way. The sounds are simply the best to ever grace a video game from the satisfying blast of the shotgun to even simple things like health pickups and reloading. It has levels which range from exploratory like water hazard to straight up horro like Ravenholm and it's all tied together by a fantastic game engine and physics system which holds up even today, 20 years after it released. Most modern games still don't match the level of interactivity and destructibility HL2 pulled off in 2004. The episodes improve upon the base game and IMO episode 2 is as close as we will ever get to a perfect FPS experience. The final section of episode 2 when you are taking out stalkers with the magnuson device is still mindblowing to this day and completely shits on AAA titles from 2023 in terms of action and full level destructibility. Tie everything above together with a creepy, isolating sci fi plot that raises questions that you can't help but want to push on to find the answers to and yeah, just incredible all round.

>> No.10601829

>>10601427
The PC version also ran like fucking shit, one of the worst optimized games of all time. My PC in 2004/5 could run Half Life 2 and Doom 3 on med/high settings at 1024x768 and get FPS in the 40's most of the time but Halo programming devolved ran like shit at lowest settings 800x600 and it was a game from 2001 that looked like a game from 2001. Bungee were never good programmers.

>> No.10601859

>>10601829
I'm not entirely sure how much of that was due to Gearbox though considering they got ahold of an earlier build of the game to make the port.

>> No.10601870

>>10601859

Fair I wasn't aware of it being Gearbox who ported it, was a long time ago when I was playing this on my Pentium 4 Dell dimension desktop lol. Fuck Gearbox then for making a 2001 game run like shit on 2005 hardware.

>> No.10603025

>>10601859
>>10601870
I am so sick of people talking shit about the Gearbox port. If you didn't have the hardware to run it at the time, that's a you problem. The port itself is 99.9% identical to the Xbox version minus a couple shaders and effects you'd never notice unless you were intentionally looking (jackal shields notwithstanding), and coop/splitscreen replaced with real online multiplayer. This version has a better framerate, better resolution, better textures, a few visual effects even the Xbox version didn't have, mk+b controls, more weapons and vehicles added to multiplayer, more mp maps, and was the first Halo to support custom game types which led to the creation of things like zombies and various racing modes that Halo 2 usually gets credit for. Any conceivable issues have been long since fixed thanks to mod tools provided by Gearbox shortly after release, and Bungie themselves liked this version enough to support it for over a decade with updates and went through the trouble of migrating the master servers in fucking 2014, 11 years after release, once GameSpy shut down so people could continue playing. The original Xbox version gets due credit for giving the series a platform to succeed, but it may as well be a fucking beta compared to what the 2003 PC version offers. People forget how fucking cucked the Xbox version was. It ran like fucking shit, had no online, barely any multiplayer options, and lacked basic stuff like banshees in multiplayer. Didn't even have some of the best maps like timberlands and death island.

I wouldn't be surprised if more people have played the PC version than the Xbox one at this point. Mind you, as late as 2007, the PC version had nearly 150,000 active players in the online portion alone. The PC version is great and the retarded hateboner people have for it is completely undeserved.

>> No.10603063

>>10601821
>enemies are smart and difficult to deal with
uhh the guards stand still and shoot st you, headcrabs jump at you, zombies lumber slowly towards you... i can't think of any enemy that isn't quake tier AI. the fuck are you smoking?

>> No.10603245
File: 75 KB, 736x834, c243928e3b4f1ddcbe9eb906b4fc166c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do any of you guys like to play the levels with self-imposed challenges? One of my favorites is beating Halo without using a warthog. Totally changes how you approach the second half of the level, makes me feel like a lonely sniper heading into a valley to complete a spec ops mission.

>> No.10603253

>>10601595
you are fucked in the head man. glad youre doing better though, i guess.

>> No.10603452

>>10603245
i tried doing something on aotcr until i got to the field with the bandit that drops off the ghosts and there was no way i could make it through there without a vehicle

>> No.10603460

>>10590374
you're so cucked by other people's opinions that you can't even make any sense. in what world does your shitty take hold any objectivity?

>> No.10603467 [DELETED] 

zoom zoom

>> No.10603484

>>10590382
based duel mogger

>> No.10603519

>>10603460
that guy was just shitposting. he later admitted that he purposely poops up halo threads because he only enjoys shooters where every weapon can get a 1 tap headshot and was BTFO when he challeneged OP to post a video proving the plasma rifle wasn't shit and OP made good on it. these are the creatures you argue with on here.

>> No.10603651

>>10600831
Also the chapter heading "AI constructs and cyborgs first!" in the Pillar of Autumn level

>> No.10603773

>>10590434
This. Don’t listen to the filtered plebs.

>> No.10603834

>>10603651
Good catch.

>> No.10603840

>>10590320
Halo: Combat Evolved is the first person shooter ever made. Halo 2 is the second one

>> No.10603913

>>10601767
>>>
> Anonymous 01/14/24(Sun)21:16:11 No.10601767▶
>>>10601482
>>>10601476
>I will say, despite the Library being dull and repetitive, it's much shorter than I remem
just rolled through 1, 2, and 3 this weekend on heroic after not playing any vidya for years. Even got a controller and everything bc I'm mid like that.
SO many memories popping up. Library wasn't as much of a slog as I remember. 2 had been completely wiped from my databanks, it was like playing a brand new game.
>1 had the tightest story and laid everything out so well. The threat, the world, everything was great.
>2 introduced a lot of new mechanics and was my first real xbox live experience, good times. story was kind of a mess.
>3 was everything 2 tried to be. Made you really feel like you were saving humanity.
>ODST has tighter gameplay and is the most fun of all of them imo, especially firefight against infinite enemies. I wish they'd not gone the whole spartan IV route, ODSTs are more compelling as characters and have more narrative weight.
>4 could have been incredible but they really fucked up the storyline by making forerunners not human and that was just an unnecessary move on 343's part, like, what were they thinking? Halo lore is one of the best parts of the series you don't meddle with well-established canon like that, part of the fun is humanity being objectively superior to the blue blooded split jaw fucks from outer space. Best weapon balance out of all of them though.
>Infinite haven't gotten to yet.
I want to get back into multiplayer so I can practice my shit talking again but I'd get smoked using a controller and can't be bothered to remap the keys in my head to play keyboard at a decent level.

>> No.10604050
File: 2.74 MB, 4656x3047, IMG_20240114_231506755~3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>late night
>kids are asleep
>beer, vodka and smokes at the ready
Yeah... I'm thinking it's time to evolve.

>> No.10604103

>>10603025
buthurt much? It was a terribly optimized port, it ran like shit on a pentium 4 3ghz and Nvidia 6 series cards despite being originally built to run on the Xbox's pentium 3 and nvidia 3 series hardware. It looked like trash compared to games like half life 2, doom 3 and far cry yet those games ran amazingly on my hardware at the time. Again it was just a terribly optimized port.

>> No.10604118

>>10604103
>it was a shit port because it didn't work on my specific rig
Gay and retarded, you probably didn't even know how to fiddle with the control panel settings to optimize it anyway
>this 2003 port of a 2001 console game looks worse than games that came out nearly 2 years later
wow, you think? sad part is, that's only true for maybe half life 2. doom 3 has aged like fucking cum and CE still looks beautiful.

not like any of this matters now anyway because the game is perfect on PC today.

>> No.10604328

>>10601167
the book The Fall Of Reach released a month before the first game and went into explicit detail on the SPARTAN program. I'm betting the cyborg bits were either used in the wrong context or was leftover material from earlier drafts.

>> No.10604358
File: 328 KB, 1280x1781, 1404764089772.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10601821
>AI
pump the brakes on that one. HL2 ranks pretty high on my list for a lot of the reasons you stated but the AI straight up sucks ass. most of them just run at you in a straight line (and I mean they will literally single file walk into your crosshairs while holding down the trigger). I've yet to play a game that came close to Halo's AI in how they dynamically react to not only you, but your allies as well. a few of the guns are satisfying (shotgun) but others are just underwhelming (AR2). the way Source handles its DSP on the sounds themselves is also a bit jank, but that's more on Valve's level design end (Left 4 Dead sounds fine).

>> No.10604396

>>10604358
While I agree that is true for all the zombie like enemies and the blueish grey combine, when you get to the last part of the game where your storming the citadel with the resistance the enemy AI really picks up. These guys will flank you, toss grenades back at you and will be a bit more of a pain in the ass. But yeah I maybe overstated the AI a bit.

For reference I think F.E.A.R. had the best enemy AI of any FPS I've played.

>> No.10604425

It's good for an Xbox game. That's about it.

>> No.10605070

How does this game remain so timeless? If you play something like Perfect Dark which only came out one year earlier it feels so dated in comparison.

>> No.10605087

>>10604118
Doom 3 mogs CE visually, no contest

>> No.10605108

>>10605070
because it's unironic ludo. somebody posted a vid in another thread where two of the devs did an hour long presentation about how they designed the AI, and how much thought and consideration they put into making the player feel like the enemy was alive. things like grunts becoming scared when their leader dies, using different emotes and mannerisms to indicate their intentions to the player, how they recoil from shots depending on where they're hit, etc. or take the guy who was the lead weapon designer. one of the artists wanted to give chief an idle animation where he would mess with the sniper scope and the guy was strict about making sure weapons functioned realistically, so he said "no, a sniper would never mess with the settings on his rifle like that", so they dropped it. most devs would just be like "yeah cool, we'll add that in" with no reverance for constructing this believable world through subtlety.

this kind of attention to detail was then applied to the graphics, the music, the controls, everything. the end result is a game which feels as good in 2024 as it did in 2001 because it is inherently good, and not a simple product of its time. few, if any games made today, would have the same thought and consideration put into their systems.

>> No.10605123
File: 1.21 MB, 1280x720, 3-level-1280x720.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10605087
DOOM 3 looks like complete fucking shit and is 1/10th the size and scope of CE.

>> No.10605126

>>10605123
This kind of blind fanboyism is why nobody takes halo seriously

>> No.10605127
File: 31 KB, 640x480, sc02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10605123
Meanwhile, the average DOOM 3 scene...

>> No.10605140

>>10605126
>blind fanboyism
CE has environments several magnitudes larger than D3, with 25+ NPCs on screen at a given time (compared to D3's pitiful 3 or 4) and hundreds more objects and entities that have physics, with dynamic colored lighting, entity shadows, lens flares, animated scenery, environmental particles, near-infinite decals and corpse lifetimes, near-infinite draw distance, and all running at a respectable (or on PC, perfect) framerate. The only blind one here is you if you think this isn't more impressive than D3's tiny environments populated by ugly, limited entities, with a lighting system so gimped that they couldn't let you use a flashlight while shooting or it would tank the framerate because all Carmack cared about was masturbating to stencil shadows.

>> No.10605149

>>10605126
Halo as a franchise is way bigger than Doom dude, you're an idiot

>> No.10605152

>>10605087
Doom 3 looks insane for a 2004 game. The fact that fanboys like >>10605123 use 'muh scope' as pre-cope is hilarious because with this they just admit that Halo CE looks sub par.

>> No.10605157

>>10605152
It isn't a cope, it's a fact. You don't think the size and complexity of environments should be weighed in a discussion about graphics? Why do you think fighting games always look so impressive? Because they don't need to render anything. Doom 3 has tiny environments with no entities, its one claim to fame is a lighting system that only works because everything else in the game is severely limited. If you think this trash >>10605127 looks better than this >>10605123 you are an unironic retard.

>> No.10605161

>>10605157
Not him but here's D3 vanilla unmodded longplay
https://youtu.be/bT7fVTkG3M0
Looks way better that CE.

>> No.10605168

>>10605161
Sorry man, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Those dogwater textures in clown car environments with 2 enemies onscreen don't look better than beautiful CE. To each their own.

>> No.10605171

>>10605087
Damn I like doom 3 but it’s literally dark hallway dark hallway dark hallway, red wasteland dark hallway. Not knocking it but no where near as visually visceral as Halo, which just throws beautiful environment after beautiful environment over and over from corridors of a drab military ship w explosions and colorful covenant enemies to a paradise open world type level into underground, massive snow battle horror themed jungle paradise beach battle on and on.

>> No.10605176

>>10605157
>You don't think the size and complexity of environments should be weighed in a discussion about graphics
>size
By that metric Doom slaughtermaps with thousands of on-screen enemies are the most impressive
>complexity
Show me an example of the said complexity

>> No.10605180 [DELETED] 

you can tell the doom ponytails on this board feel very threatened by the presence of any interest in the superior game. they gave up on talking about gameplay after OP exposed them as shitters so now they need to make it a graphics argument lmao

>> No.10605184 [DELETED] 
File: 35 KB, 640x480, 1676259929092.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Such amazing graphics!

>> No.10605187 [DELETED] 
File: 57 KB, 640x480, 1689353425277.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Very complex environments

>> No.10605190 [DELETED] 

>>10605176
>>10605176
>thousands of jpegs in a 2D engine is more impressive than huge fully 3D rendered environments and models
Medical retardation.
>Show me
I already did, you just don't want to accept it.

>> No.10605196

>>10605176
>By that metric Doom slaughtermaps with thousands of on-screen enemies are the most impressive

Doom 2 always impressed me a ton more than nearly any 3d fps for a long time basically because of the insane slugfest you could get with hundreds of monsters on screen on map 16 or 30.

>> No.10605205
File: 250 KB, 1920x1200, MV5BMzM1YTEwMTktMmQ1OC00MGExLTg3N2QtZTM4ZDQ3MGI4MzQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzg3NjQyOQ@@._V1_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10605184
>>10605187
one of these is a fucking beta screenshot from the xbox version and the other is the PC version on low settings. how mad are you exactly?

>> No.10605213 [DELETED] 

>>10605184
>>10605187
These are beta screenshots. What a fucking slimy jew.

>> No.10605217 [DELETED] 

>>10605205
They're both beta screenshots from the Xbox version, early ones no less. That guy is a diaengenuous piece of kyke filth, prolly why he loves his ugly shit and blood colored game made by transexual commies.

>> No.10605219

>>10605187
So dishonest: https://youtu.be/MxDm0irp0hA?si=DJo7BQ1oWziPYMgp
For those interested start at minute 23. This chode is just being an ass. It’s called pacing bro they start u off in a drab corridor as a call back and then immediately throw u into a massive paradise type environment that’s rich w complexity allowing the AI to maneuver around u in different ways.

>> No.10605227
File: 729 KB, 1440x900, Insidecryotube02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10605219
The bigger issue is that he literally posted the beta and not the real game.

>> No.10605229 [DELETED] 

>>10605187
Damn dog u got BTFO. Kindly see yourself out of this thread or continue to bump it w ur trash cherry picked screenshots and we will discuss around u.

>> No.10605234

>>10605227
Yes I just skipped ahead to disprove him utterly and completely but I’m phone fagging and missed that. Guess he has nothing better to do then be butt hurt by the goat of all shooters. Looks like a bunch of anons caught it immediately.

>> No.10605242 [DELETED] 

>>10605234
All good man, I'm just sick of this doom jews and their lies.

>> No.10605247 [DELETED] 

>>10605205
So, where are the complexity, good graphics and 25+ NPCs on your screenshot?

>> No.10605251 [DELETED] 
File: 94 KB, 1024x768, 1702287987099.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10605227
These look like Half-Life 1 graphics

>> No.10605256 [DELETED] 

>>10605247
>clearly looks good
>uhhh where's the good graphics
Go post more beta screenshots you rat.

>> No.10605260 [DELETED] 

>>10605256
Every time he posts all I see is “bump”

>> No.10605261 [DELETED] 
File: 2.75 MB, 1920x1080, 3328036-15-11-2021_18-41-09-xfyddenp.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10605251
>this
>Half-Life 1
Medical retardation.

>> No.10605268 [DELETED] 

>>10605260
Yep, just making it easier for more people to find Halo and pushing doomtranny general further down the board. Maybe he's secretly based.

>> No.10605275 [DELETED] 

>Halo chads defeat doomniggers in gameplay argument
>Halo chads defeat doomniggersnin graphics argument
surprised the nanny jannies haven't stepped in yet to be desu

>> No.10605276 [DELETED] 

>>10605261
Why is it so ugly?

>> No.10605280 [DELETED] 

>>10605276
that's what your mom said when they handed you to her at the hospital

>> No.10605284 [DELETED] 
File: 121 KB, 800x600, 1699774655329.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10605261
I've seen better looking outdoor areas on Q3 engine

>> No.10605289 [DELETED] 

>>10605284
>the Q3 engine
Here's the jew rat trying to pull his tricks again.

>> No.10605302

its a polished multiplayer with ride-able vehicles you can shoot from. But best FPS? that's a stretch.

>> No.10605307 [DELETED] 

>>10605205
>>10605227
>>10605261
Wait, are you falseflagging to make Halo look bad? These shots are awful

>> No.10605319 [DELETED] 

>>10605307
>here's beta pics of Halo
>here's a muddy low res Half-Life 1 screenshot, looks just like Halo
>ackshually, Halo just looks bad and you're falseflagging
Kill yourself jew.

>> No.10605320 [DELETED] 

>>10605284
Pic unrelated.

>> No.10605327 [DELETED] 

>>10605319
deep down i guarantee this dude really just wants to play halo but he feela tribally obligated to worship and defend doom because he played it on his dad's office PC in 1995 when he still had hair, wore a puka shell necklace and listened to pantera, i.e. the best years of his life

>> No.10605332 [DELETED] 

>>10605261
Halo apologists think that this is good graphics

>> No.10605334 [DELETED] 

>>10605332
>he's still at it
You tried.

>> No.10605338 [DELETED] 

>>10605184
>>10605187
Lmao halofag defends THIS

>> No.10605342 [DELETED] 
File: 312 KB, 200x200, come-on-dude-frederick-alexander-pye.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10605338

>> No.10605345 [DELETED] 

>>10605332
That's a falseflagger. Nobody would put Halo CE against 2004 PC games graphically, it's stupid

>> No.10605347 [DELETED] 

>>10605345
>jew is still going
>jew is now responding to himself
Doom fans are such faggots man.

>> No.10605348 [DELETED] 

>>10605184
>>10605187
>>10605205
>>10605227
>>10605261
>these shots
Halosisters, what's our response?

>> No.10605351 [DELETED] 
File: 9 KB, 279x181, download.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10605348

>> No.10605360 [DELETED] 

>>10605348
Graphics were never important in Halo, retard
Also
>Why does a 2001 $300 Xbox game looks worse than a 2004 $3000 PC game?
Retard

>> No.10605369 [DELETED] 

>>10605360
Don't even bother engaging with that lying faggot.

>> No.10605371 [DELETED] 

>>10605351
>this is who made doom
lol game over

>> No.10605379 [DELETED] 

Death to all doom kykes. This is now a Floigan-Halo board.

>> No.10605380 [DELETED] 

>>10605360
First muh scale, now muh hardware cost. What argument will you come up with next?

>> No.10605383 [DELETED] 

>>10605380
First beta screenshots, then falseflagging. What jewish maneuver will you come up with next?

>> No.10605394 [DELETED] 

>>10590320
>Greatest first person shooter ever made
>Dudebro slop
Whatever you say, buddy.

>> No.10605398 [DELETED] 

>>10605394
>Dudebro slop
very convincing argument

>> No.10605434

I think Halo: Combat Evolved is a pretty cool guy, Eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

>> No.10605442 [DELETED] 

10/10 thread

>> No.10605447 [DELETED] 

>>10605442
>Mark MacGrath challenges some guy to play Quake 3 while defending Halo
that sealed the deal for me honestly

>> No.10605478 [DELETED] 

>>/vr/thread/10603413#p10603453
>faggot tranny mods delete this thread that breaks no rules just because it criticizes doom
Total doomnigger death.

>> No.10605489 [DELETED] 

>>10605478
you cannot criticize the sacred cow on this board. the only reason the doom shitflinging from the last couple hours and your own reply haven't been nuked yet is because the jannies are still in a chicken nugget and diet soda coma from last night. they usually wake up around noon to hand out their 30 day global "ban evasion" bans for any negative mention of doom. i'm considering filing a lawsuit against them for censorship, which is illegal under US law.

>> No.10605530 [DELETED] 
File: 228 KB, 1920x948, 1678990666084.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not liking Halo CE
Haters are literally going to hate.

>> No.10607001

Doom 2 is better. Better maps, smarter enemies, better guns.

>> No.10607128

>>10607001
>smarter enemies

>> No.10608738

I bought MCC with zero nostalgia for the product and tried to play it and Halo 1 bored me to treats. Then I bought ROTT Ludicrous Edition with zero nostalgia for it and played it start to finish every episode over the course of a week and even got all the cheevos. I have beaten Marathon 1, 2 and Infinity in the past and thought they were okay but overrated. Not very surprising that Halo really is just babby's first FPS and the only value it has is Xbox kid nostalgia.

>> No.10608774

>>10590320
and it was the first!

>> No.10608784

>>10590382
sugar gay and gaylo, a match made in heaven

>> No.10608797

>>10605157
Halo fanboys are so weird, all that I was saying was that the PC port was terribly optimized, which is 100% truths, there shouldn't even be a need to get offended by this yet peeps in here are getting super upset. The port used far to much resources for what it was rendering and can't compare to the dynamic lighting and advanced rendering that is happening in games that run much better than it. Of Course Halo isn't going to look as good as a game made 3 years after it, that's not the point, Halo looked great for when it came out, the only point I was addressing was that the PC port ran poorly on hardware that was more than capable enough to run a 2001 game. Doom 3 is way more advanced graphically than Halo: CE this shouldn't even be a debate and it isn't a slight on Halo itself as it was developed 2/3 years before Doom 3. Again the only point being made was that the PC port at time of release was an unoptimized system hog that required high end 2004/5 hardware just to run at med/high settings 800x600.

>> No.10608863

>>10601471
Can you play online with this? Is anyone playing online with this?

>> No.10609085

>>10590553
You forgot
>trying to make Arbiter a star
>turning all the Elites babyface
>irrelevant Covenant politics
>shitty unsatisfying anticlimax ending with no stakes

>> No.10609093

>>10605127
Doom 3 looks waaaaaaay better than that Xbox screenshot you posted. I play that shit on Ultra at 1600x1200 on a CRT monitor with supersampling enabled and it looks absolutely bonkers.

>> No.10609104

not while Halo: Reach exists

>> No.10610027

Amazing thread

>> No.10610116 [DELETED] 

>>10608784
I'll fuck you in the ass, prison rape style.

>> No.10610123 [DELETED] 

>>10610116
>gaylo reacharound

>> No.10610132 [DELETED] 

>>10610123
See this? You're nothing.

>> No.10610179 [DELETED] 

>>10610132
Your hyundai's over there

>> No.10610201 [DELETED] 

>>10609104
More like Halo: Reach-around

>> No.10610285 [DELETED] 

>>10605205
Sorry but this looks like complete shit

>> No.10610430 [DELETED] 

>>10590320
It's been decided then? Final verdict Halo CE is gay?

>> No.10610440

I miss Halo: CE PC multiplayer. The port exclusive multiplayer maps were so damn fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI4AI6cWgVo

>> No.10610657 [DELETED] 

>>10610285
sorry but you're retarded

>> No.10610669 [DELETED] 

>>10610440
Imagine playing this crap over UT2004

>> No.10610679 [DELETED] 

>>10610669
not enough niggers with afros snd dreadlocks for you?

>> No.10610694 [DELETED] 

>>10610669
I am rather a Q3A guy than UT2004 one but even I agree that UT is much better than gaylo

>> No.10610718
File: 699 KB, 488x498, sushichaeng-anime.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm planning on getting into Halo soon. I missed out and have no interest in the online side of it so what do you guys recommend in terms of the story? I know that apparently Halo is kind of shit right now or something since Bungie left so what was the last Halo game worth playing?

>> No.10610731 [DELETED] 

>>10610718
>I'm planning on getting into
please kill yourself

>> No.10610758 [DELETED] 

>>10610731
maybe afterwards

>> No.10610806

>>10601295
If anything, Halo would be a prequel to Marathon considering, timeline wise, Halo takes place around 250 years earlier than the first Marathon game.

>> No.10610823

>>10610718
As a fan, I say start with Halo: Combat Evolved.
It's the first act of the Halo trilogy (Halo: CE, Halo 2, Halo 3), but it's also a simple self-contained story.
Halo 2 and Halo 3 each build off the story of the previous games.
If you're playing for the story I recommend Normal difficulty for the first playthrough, and if you play the Master Chief Collection version, I personally recommend using the original graphics and audio (non-remastered versions), on your first playthrough.

What's going on with Halo currently is Bungie made Halo: CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST (a side story taking place between 2 and 3), and Halo: Reach, then they bought their way out of their contract with Microsoft and sold Halo to MS in 2010.
Microsoft made a rushed remaster of Halo: CE for its 10th anniversary, then made Halo 4.
I played 4 and immediately checked out, because the story was so bad. It's like they just didn't know where to go after Halo 3 (Halo 3 ends with all the big badguys defeated, so it's like they just started doing random shit).
They also changed the artstyle and the gameplay, and I didn't like either of those changes.
Halo: Infinite, the most recent game, they went back to an artstyle that's similar to the old games, and the story apparently retcons basically everything from Halo 4 and 5, but it still doesn't look appealing to me. Just going through the motions to win back old fans.

Another big issue for me personally: Bungie's old composer Marty O'Donnell, who wrote tons of amazing music for Halo (the music is one of the best things about the series) has been totally shafted both by nu-Bungie and by Microsoft. Microsoft is using the Halo theme
https://youtu.be/0jXTBAGv9ZQ?feature=shared
... they used it in Halo: Infinite and their HBO Halo show, claiming it legally as their own original piece of music, and not paying royalties to Marty, and he can't do anything about it because they're a megacorp fucking him over.

>> No.10611034 [DELETED] 

>>10610669
That's a game engine, anon.

>> No.10611189

>>10610718
Halo Reach was the last Halo game. Play them in order on the MCC without the "remastered" graphics. Don't tryhard or try to speedrun it on your first go; it's better to take it in at a more aesthetic pace and enjoy the scenery.

As for the story, there are the Xbox-era books. Eric Nylund's especially. The Fall of Reach is good.

>> No.10611316

>>10610718
Play 4, then ODST, then Infinite, 3, 2, Halo Wars, CE, then 5. God you people are stupid. It's not complicated.

>> No.10611705
File: 2.94 MB, 1906x1080, offroad_warthoggin'_it~2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bet you fags couldn't do this.

>> No.10612271

>>10611705
how the fuck

>> No.10612284

>>10611705
You can't just drive back there?

>> No.10612291

>>10612284
not him but iirc there are two ledges you have to drop off of to get to the encampment where you get the warthog and you can't even jump back up once you drop down, let alone drive the warthog back up.

>> No.10612395

>>10612271
>>10612284
>>10612291
It took some experimentation but I basically I used a combination of frags and plasma grenades, timed just right with the warthog placed in a particular way, to make it flip up and onto the two landings. You have to make sure you have enough grenades because you not only need bare minimum 4 just to get the warthog up, but you need one to grenade jump up onto the first landing, so you have to be careful not to waste any. You could go back and get more but it's a big hassle and they aren't infinite. You also have to be careful that you either pull off the plasma jump on the first try or leave some healthpacks because you'll likely damage yourself with the jump.

I left the first patrol group alive so I could run them over with the hog. I bet they never saw that one coming.

>> No.10612469

>>10612395
Love the physics in the game. Those fly me to the moon Sinatra video/s were awesome where people just rocketed the hog continually up in the air getting some insane height.

>> No.10612496

>>10612469
Yeah, the physics make the game. I've probably spent more hours of the campaign just trying to pull off stunts or reach weird inaccessible places than I have even playing regularly.

>> No.10612762

>>10590320
>The game that spawned the 'Halo Killer' genre of boring, generic games with too many limitations is the best fps

I feel like devs learned all the wrong lessons from games like Halo when they went to make shooters that would have been great if they'd just done their own thing.

Most scifi shooters didn't need 2 weapon limits because they're not built around scavenging diverse but more or less equally useful guns for dynamic, highly situational advantages the way you do in Halo, but they did it because hey Halo did it, and we ended up with worse products for it.

Halo's great but it should be it's own -kind- of shooter the way Doom-likes are their own. I want people to either get Halo clones right or do their own kind of shooter.

>> No.10612768

>>10612762
You're so close to right. The answer is that Halo's not a "shooter". It's a successor to Myth that got turned into one. Bungie started at a completely different conceptual foundation (physics, reactions, situations which are fun to observe from the third person) and then placed you inside that with a gun after it was already built. People interpreting Halo as a "shooter" was the problem all along. Nobody recreated anything like the Myth Engine.

>> No.10612789

>>10610718
just play all the Bungie titles in release order

>> No.10612873

>>10590326
I feel like I'm the only person I know that actually doesn't hate the Library. For me, my least favorite is Keyes for CE.

>> No.10612881

>>10597373
Nah, 3 was the worst of the trilogy.

>> No.10612895

>>10612881
When I replayed the series a few years ago, 3 was the only one that never bored me at any point of the game. It is the best of the bunch.

>> No.10612928

I'm aggydagging a FPS as a spiritual successor to Halo (and a bit of Marathon).
Tell me what features you most enjoyed about Halo and what you'd like to see expanded on. Weapon sandbox and movement are the two major things I'm focusing on first since it's generally agreed both these elements got worse and more homogenous as the series went on.

>> No.10612936

>>10612895
3 has the best pacing and structure to its campaign, especially vehicle sections, but has generally crap movement (for whatever reason) and also really neutered the weapon sandbox to make every weapon just have a Normal and Alien paintjob. Which made it extremely balanced for multiplayer, but pretty same-y in campaign. Bungie also pussied out on playable arbiter even though they were clearly trying to iterate on the idea of different player character abilities with equipment and then Reach's armor abilities.
Plus 3's Brutes are just less tactical Elites and Elites basically don't exist in campaign, which is huge missed opportunities.
IMO the best single standalone game is Halo 3: ODST since all the attention went to campaign and they didn't have to care about multiplayer balance.

>> No.10612957

>>10612936
ODST is one of the better campaigns for sure. I remember when it came out, they were shilling it as a "return to form" with the reintroduction of the health bar and more open environments. The problem with ODST is that it's short and easy, and doesn't have much visual variety.

>> No.10613000

>>10612957
It looks great for what it's going for with the more focused setting, though I agree it can be too easy. In a perfect world the series would have continued with the idea of multiple playable characters with different playstyles and the pseudo-stealth mechanics of ODST would have been its own unique thing and more heavily iterated upon.

>> No.10613067

>>10613000
>In a perfect world the series would have continued with the idea of multiple playable characters with different playstyles and the pseudo-stealth mechanics of ODST would have been its own unique thing and more heavily iterated upon
Nah man, gotta disagree with you there. Halo went off the rails the second arbiter was introduced in Halo 2. We need Master Chief. Even though ODST features a different protag, it's only as good as it is because it felt the closest to Halo CE. We need a return to solid, grounded gameplay with fewer mechanics that have nuance.

>> No.10613124

>>10613067
>We need a return to solid, grounded gameplay with fewer mechanics that have nuance.
There's not a whole lot you can do with Halo's existing sandbox if you're not going to iterate on abilities beyond weapons or change how the AI and player interact, which is what Arbiter's cloaking and ODST's pseudo-stealth do. Dual-wielding was a decent idea but it was kind of poorly implemented in 2, and I don't think fans would like entirely scrapping and overhauling the basic weapon sandbox they've become accustomed to.
I think you need to get an entire separate decisionmaking mindset from players depending on the situation, like how CE throws the player for a loop with the Flood halfway in, but it needs to be more intricately designed. I think Arbiter's stealth sections were undercooked and ODST's pseudo-stealth is better, but is achieved by simply altering the dominant strategy rather than adding a parallel set of decisions for players.
If you took the basic idea of Abilities from Reach and tied them into the core gameplay of the series - use situational tool to your advantage, kill enemies, gain more/new tools - by having players actually get Armor Abilities as powerups from certain enemies, you've already doubled your sandbox without disturbing what already works, and you can use that second sandbox to incentivize a different playstyle by awarding players those tools when they use stealth to pick off priority targets through assassinations, or etc. I think that squeezes a lot of juice out of the existing Halo sandbox without having to reinvent the wheel, and still leaves room for Chief to just be the run n gun juggernaut, especially if you improve dual-wielding.

>> No.10613191

>>10613124
Man, that's a lot of gobbledygook. The mistake you're making is in thinking that they need to change anything to begin with. They just need to refine what's already there. No Halo game since CE has recaptured the essence of what made CE good, and mucking it up with more twists and turns isn't going to fix that.

>> No.10613196

>>10613191
>just make a 20 year old FPS again with no improvements
Okay

>> No.10613236

>>10613196
>refine the core gameplay
>"no improvements"
You're willfully retarded.

>> No.10613257

>>10613236
What do you mean by 'refine the core gameplay' exactly

>> No.10613339

>>10613257
polish it

>> No.10613364

>>10613339
That doesn't actually mean anything, anon.

>> No.10613390

>>10613339
>it should be better somehow
>but how?
>it should be better
Anon, at least make some examples.

>> No.10613416

>>10613364
>>10613390
distill it's essence

>> No.10613771
File: 24 KB, 284x350, Oni_Coverart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10612789
Well I already knocked out the Marathon games. Oni does seem pretty interesting ngl.

>> No.10614427

>>10613257
>What do you mean by 'refine the core gameplay' exactly
Give me a Halo game where every level is as good as the Silent Cartographer. Give me an online multiplayer with solid netcode and even more custom game options. Give me even cooler weapons, and even smarter enemies. What I don't need is Halo with more frivolous bullshit and characters that nobody gives a fuck about.

>> No.10614498

>>10612873
KEYES?! Seriously? Damn. And I thought I was the weirdo for hating Two Betrayals.

>> No.10614508

>>10614498
i kind of agree with him. it has some nice visuals but it's a little bit of a slog. not worse than library though.
>two betrayals
the only bad part is getting out of the control room on legendary. the rest is kino

>> No.10614717
File: 41 KB, 500x483, 1698788167813295.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10590320
>The best FPS is the one where 70% of the guns feel like dogshit to use

>> No.10614762

>>10610718
Obviously just play the release order until 4 and then stop.
Friendly suggestion, play with a controller. The game doesn't really need good aim. It is specifically designed to be played by people that never touched a FPS in their life, let alone with a dual analog stick controller.
I remember not liking the shooting in CE because there was so little need for aiming, projectile or hitscan. But playing with a controller made the pray 'n spray feel a bit better, so give it a shot if you have a controller.
>>10613771
Oni is one of the last great (perhaps only) 3D beat-em-ups. And I am talking about more traditional beat-em-ups. Actually really detailed combat engine that lets you fuck around with the acrobatics thanks to the precise hitboxes.
https://youtu.be/jjLDztxYlQ4?si=mHEss4Fgfa3EFEKu&t=46
Make sure you are playing the PC version with the fan fixes.
https://wiki.oni2.net/Anniversary_Edition

>> No.10615125

>>10601167
He has metal grafted to his bones, he's still a cyborg.

>> No.10615134

>>10614717
the guns don't suck, you suck at using them.

>> No.10615137

>>10614717
But enough about Quake 1

>> No.10615160

What's the best way to play this game in 2024? I only played it as a kid on Xbox but I feel like going through Halo 1-3 on Legendary using mouse and keyboard.

>> No.10615164

>>10615160
see: >>10601471

>> No.10615183

>>10614717
If you think the magnum, sniper, shotgun or rocket launcher feel like shit, you're being a fucking faggot, and that's already half of the weapons in the game. The plasma pistol and plasma rifle fucking shred shit, no idea how you could think they feel bad unless you are legit retarded and have no idea of how to control overheating. The only guns that you could honestly say this about are the assault rifle and needler, which are 2 weapons out of the roster. I think you're being a faggot and I'd love to know what retro shooter you think has better feeling guns than Halo. Outside of Quake 3 maybe GE/PD, retro shooter weapons notoriously feel like fucking shit. Doom and Quake 1/2 have absolutely terrible weapons and that doesn't stop anybody from sucking them off to no end.

>> No.10615516

>thinking the plasma rifle and pistol aren't top tier weapons that are arguably better than the magnum
how to identify a shitter

>> No.10615528

>>10615516
i used to think the plasma rifle sucked vut after seeing the vid op posted of killing the elites, i guess its a lot better than i thought.

>> No.10615541

>>10615528
Here's why people think plasma rifle sucks:
>shoot at elite from 100 feet away
>hold down trigger and unload until it overheats
>elite dodges half the shots and the other half don't even break the shield
>wooow I guess the weapon sucks
What they don't realize is that the shots are perfectly straight if you shoot it semi auto, there's no spread like in full auto mode and it won't overheat. So you rapidly tap for individual shots while closing the gap between you and the target, then full auto as you get closer. Once you realize this, you basically have a weapon which can bust shields faster than anything else and is also perfectly accurate AND has full auto. It's arguably the best weapon in the game vs. elites.

>> No.10615546

>>10615516
>>10615541
Okay but the plasma rifle still looks like a bird looking at its reflection. Checkmate, Covenants.

>> No.10615548

>>10615546
>thinking this doesn't just make it more based

>> No.10615745
File: 2.01 MB, 296x296, 1595208317701.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10614762
Nah I get that obviously I was mainly referring to what Halo games to play specifically. Before it goes to shit. I haven't hear good things about the recent ones.

>> No.10615860

WHAT IS YOUR...
>favorite gun
>favorite campaign level
>favorite multiplay map
>favorite quote

>> No.10615862

>>10615516
>>10615541
Plasma Rifle isn't as bad as people make it out but the plasma pistol is better. The pistol's reputation comes from multiplayer, not single player, though it's probably best or second best for literally every other non-Elite, non-Sentinel enemy.

>> No.10615890

>>10615862
>the plasma pistol is better.
It's situational. The plasma pistol can tear through a small grunt+elite group in seconds with semi-automatic fire if in a close-mid range setting, and the overcharge shot trivializes jackals in the same range. However, the gun has two big issues: one, it overheats fairly quickly, and two, the projectiles are slow. The plasma rifle by comparison, not only takes longer to overheat, but has a higher rate of fire and its projectiles move faster. This gives it an advantage in settings that are consistently medium range and have a greater number of enemies -- it also makes it better for long hallways with enemy after enemy because you can pretty much burn through everything in your way without stopping.

>> No.10615897

I can think of at least 10 better FPS games

>> No.10615898

>>10615897
good for you

>> No.10615903

>>10615898
Cope

>> No.10615907 [DELETED] 

>>10590320
that's a weird way to spell DOOM. what language is that, Retardese?

>> No.10615909 [DELETED] 

>>10615907
Lmao, seriously. Upvoted.

Edit: Thanks for the reddit gold kind stranger!

>> No.10615950

>>10615860
>gun
The magnum, no question. I love all the guns, but nothing feels better than unloading that shit.
>level
Probably Halo or Silent Cartographer. Nice balance of linearity and freedom, and top tier aesthetics. I love those Halo forests man.
>mp level
Gotta go with Blood Gulch because of how straightforward and fun it is. Lots of open space but also some neat nooks and crannies. Wizard and Timberlands get honorable mentions.
>favorite quote
I like when a grunt gets scared and sometimes they say, "RUN... A... WAY!" in a retarded voice

>> No.10615997

>>10615860
>favorite gun
Magnum (Plasma Rifle + Magnum combo in campaign)
>favorite campaign level
Silent Cartographer
>favorite multiplayer map
Sidewinder
>favorite quote
In Halo 1? Probably "You did that on purpose, didn't you." just off the top of my head. Although there are probably better lines if I thought about it.
Halo 3 is the most quotable game in the series for me. "Were it so easy..."

>> No.10616164
File: 322 KB, 2048x1356, FsGtYGOaEAAVR-b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10590326
It's a neat level for what it is in terms of it's place in the story and for being kind of a curveball compared to the other levels but it's definitely not a mission most people would ever choose if they had the option. Not a big fan of it but I feel like it's comically over-hated by people expecting it to be more lenient

>> No.10616658

>>10615897
can you name them

>> No.10616808

>>10616658
sure:
>garbage mid 90s 2.5D shooter that does literally nothing better than Halo but I played it as a child and the guys with ponytails in my computer science class said Halo was gay #1
repeat the above 9 times

>> No.10616812

>>10590320
I have fond memories about calling it Babbys First FPS on /v/ 15+ years ago. Great game, The Silent Cryptographer blew my mind first time I played it.

>> No.10616874

>>10616658
Doom
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Unreal
Soldier of Fortune
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Half-Life 2
UT2004
Battlefield 2
FEAR

Obviously there's a lot more but that's 10.

>> No.10616878
File: 27 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10616874
>this is better than Halo
you are fucking deranged dude

>> No.10616887

>>10616878
>shits on a game he's never played
Clown

>> No.10617151 [DELETED] 

Halo has taken over the board oh noes. What happened doom sisters?

>> No.10617157 [DELETED] 
File: 214 KB, 1756x1036, 1705085379315.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10617151
Mario moved over.
That's what happened.

>> No.10617158

>>10616874
Opinion immediately discarded. Rtcw literally has a knock off goldeneye level that somehow is worse than the n64 version despite coming out years later on fucking PC. Lol! Not to mention:
Can get sniped one shotted from enemies u can’t see.
Plays like your running on ice.
Bosses are literal bullet sponges.
I truly wanted to love RTCW but that first level doesn’t make up for a completely ass story and shit gameplay.

>> No.10617170 [DELETED] 

>>10617151
not gonna lie, there was a huge uptick in halo threads + shitting on doom after mark macgrath challenged somebody to quake 3 while defending halo's honor. maybe the board is finally starting to realize that a shitty 2.5D shooter made by an autistic and a transexual spic wasn't actually that good.

>> No.10617182

>>10615860
>favorite gun
assault rifle
>favorite campaign level
343 Guilty Spark
>favorite multiplay map
never played CE online
>favorite quote

>> No.10617185 [DELETED] 

>>10617158
>thinks an N64 console FPS could ever be better than a PC FPS
Opinion immediately discarded. And learn how to spell.

>> No.10617191 [DELETED] 

>>10617185
>any FPS is automatically better than any console FPS no matter how shit and retarded it is, just because it's on PC
Lmao you are a cuckold

>> No.10617209 [DELETED] 
File: 82 KB, 416x488, D4EFBB37-786C-4E7C-9208-6C28079B6322.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>any FPS is automatically better than any console FPS no matter how shit and retarded it is, just because it's on PC

>> No.10617214 [DELETED] 

>>10617191
Go back to /v/

>> No.10617219 [DELETED] 
File: 304 KB, 1201x1199, 1676859688651.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10617214
Make me, faggot.

>> No.10617229 [DELETED] 

>>10617209
>I'm gay, watch me suck my own penis! haha

>> No.10617231 [DELETED] 

>>10617229
Why yes I often suck my own penis how could you tell

>> No.10617247 [DELETED] 

>>10617185
No argument. I accept your concession. Probably should delete ur post like ur friend who posted beta screen shots because he’s so butt hurt he can’t move past a single game.

>> No.10617291 [DELETED] 

>>10617247
Hey schizo retard, you're not typing on a 2003 Nokia phone anymore.

>> No.10617401 [DELETED] 

>>10617247
Oh.......I.....see........was......that....argument....not.......sufficient.....for.......you........welll......how......about........this........one..........

It..'s......coming.........in.........hot........at......12.......letters........per........second.........

wait.....for.......it......

any......
minute.,........
now..........

WAIT.............FOR...........IT...!..!...

>> No.10617438
File: 2.89 MB, 854x480, Shadow Warrior, 1997.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10616878
Halo's good, but you should give Shadow Warrior a try, it's a pretty intense shooter which is a lot of fun.

Besides dual wielding Uzis and blasting enemies to pieces with a grenade launcher or rocket launcher (the latter which can load and fire a rare miniature nuclear warhead to annihilate an entire area, including yourself if you're not really careful), you also have a katana which you can use for slicing enemies in half, with special death animations and all.
There's also a railgun, and you can tear the head off of one of the enemies and carry it around like a weapon, using it to shoot fireballs. There's also tanks and other armed vehicles which you can actually drive and fire.

>>10617158
Imagine not enjoying RTCW. Pity.

>>10617185
Have you ever played Corridor 7? Bad PC shooters exist.
Meanwhile consoles had some good shooters back in the day, Zero Tolerance, Goldeneye 007, Powerslave, etc.

>> No.10617453

>>10614498
Funnily enough, Two Betrayals is one of my favorites and one of my most replayed.

>> No.10617460

>>10617438
Past the first level it’s not a fun game. Should’ve made the whole game about escaping wolfenstein sadly it’s not and the game falls off a cliff after.

>> No.10617461

>>10614717
What? Even on Legendary the only questionable weapon is the Assault Rifle. On Heroic and below, every weapon is viable.

>> No.10617482 [DELETED] 

>>10617438
U must’ve responded to a Jannie because my posts were deleted in response but yours wasn’t. Absolutely hilarious, living rent free in a moderators head. Now I see the absolute vitriol Halo gets here from certain “posters”. I bet the guy who posted the beta shots is a Jannie.

>> No.10617484
File: 123 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Shooters peaked here and it's not even close.

>> No.10617493

>>10590475
>>10591708
Holy shit what a legend. I’ve never seen Anon so BTFO before

>> No.10617642

>>10617484
Amen

>> No.10618235 [DELETED] 

>>10617484
>>10617484
>a bunch of shitty, crispy looking 2.5D doom knockoffs with awful guns, ugly digitized enemy models and brown/grey/piss yellow color pallete
lmao no

>> No.10618245

>>10617484
I never could into build engine. If the movement doesn't feel good in a game there is little chance of me enjoying it.

>> No.10618375 [DELETED] 

So judging by this thread...
>Halo CE fans are actually knowledgeable about shooters and educated enough to have informed discussions about mechanics and meta
>Halo fans will talk shit and are able to back it up
>Halo fans like discussing the actual game
Meanwhile, the opposition is almost exclusively just "no, this game is better" with no justification, and a bunch of pussies who won't even play their own games when challenged to play them, and are legitimately bad at video games.
Gotta tell you guys, Halo fans seem higher IQ.

>> No.10618401

>>10615860
Plasma Pistol
The Library on ledgendary
Yoyorast Island.
YAHOO!!!

>> No.10618423

>>10618235
The build trinity has better weapons, levels, and personality than Halo could ever hope to have. It's literally the blandest space marine shit ever.

>> No.10618526

>>10618235
>awful guns
You haven't played any of these games, and making a muh grafix argument on /vr/ is peak retardation

>> No.10618580 [DELETED] 

>>10618423
everything you said is wrong and you haven't played the game. the second level of Halo has more atmosphere than any of the build engine turds combined, and funny you'd bring up "personality" when Halo is the game with AI that feels sentient and not a bunch of retarded jpegs waddling around. not to mention shit like easter eggs that weren't discovered for years after release, or all of the hundreds of lines of rare dialogue, or the physics system which has spawned entire sub-games and communities within the game itself. but of course, Halo features muh generic space marine man and not some faggot with his tits hanging out or wearing an Alucard outfit while shooting scarecrows, so it has no """personality""" according to you. i am so fucking sick of you faggot niggers pretending these crusty 90s build shooters were good. even if we were living in 1995, i still wouldn't be playing the trash you're shilling, opting instead for an actual good game like Durandal. shit, i'm a huge critic of DOOM and Quake 1 but i'd still much rather play either of those games than build trash.

>> No.10618618 [DELETED] 

>>10618375
This is correct

>> No.10618619 [DELETED] 

>>10618618
Jannie keeps deleting my posts but no ban yet. It is the Jannie who was posting the beta pics and talking shit. Lmfao absolutely rent free. Ban incoming for sure for me!

>> No.10618620 [DELETED] 

>>10618526
he's making a muh graphics argument on /vr/ because he and the other gaylo zoomer don't actually like retro gaming. It's the same handful of retards blasting this shit because someone finally noticed that the sticky was updated to allow Halo 1 and 2 meet the "definition" of retro.

>> No.10618627

>>10618580
>this shit again
community colleges deciding that a C- is a passing grade for English class was a mistake.

>> No.10618628

>>10618580
The only thing I’d say is Duke 3d was pretty cool. I’ve tried the others and just not very fun at all. But Halo mogs it in everyway and the fact that it connects directly to marathon w that whole conversation w guilty spark is like WTF. Wish the writing had continue to be that good and meta. Having the marathon story explained to me still spins my head.

>> No.10618631 [DELETED] 

>>10618620
The fuck are u on about? Xbox ps2 and cube have been allowed here for a looooooong ass time. Are u okay?

>> No.10618746 [DELETED] 

>>10618627
>mad because no capitalization
>doesn't capitalize his own reply
gay, retarded or both?

>> No.10618870 [DELETED] 

Almost all of my comments get insta deleted. Absolutely hilarious how badly someone wants this thread buried.

>> No.10618887 [DELETED] 

>>10618580
>thinking I'm going to read an entire paragraph of retarded zoomer seethe
Halo was never good.

>> No.10618938 [DELETED] 

>>10618887
Reading not your strong suit huh?

>> No.10618948 [DELETED] 

>>10618870
the uncomfortable truth is that /vr/ mods are deepstate puppets hired to skew discourse towards poop and blood colored satanic games like doom, and shut down any dissention. this is why they hate floigan. this is why they hate halo. they are evil, and we are fighting a digital war.

>> No.10619000

Halo CE is king of 1st person shooters

>> No.10619424
File: 114 KB, 680x532, 435.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10612928
Marines.

More specifically, characters. Halo is fun and lively even if you don't fire your guns on every level with two sides of characters. I say "characters" rather than "NPCs" because both sides actually do have so much going on in the way of personality and characterisation. They aren't mechanical drones painted like soldiers and aliens. Halo battles are very heavily fleshed out encounters between "characters". I think that the foundation of a Halo successor should focus on being able to get two sides of non player entities to fight each other in an interesting way. The "shooter" element I think is entirely a mistake to focus on. No Halo successor attempt has worked because they all tried to focus on that and were boring.

Which other game can create a situation like the beach attack in Assault on the Control Room? Did you ever just watch that fight play out without intervening? I did that all the time. I think if you can create something that feels like that you've captured the feeling of Halo, on a mechanical level. From there it's a question of your taste and ability to entertain and interest people with how you use that system. Bungie are also very underrated as pop science fiction creators. People pretend to *get* Marathon now, but Halo is such a rich work itself. I would say it has far more power to filter people.

Halo is about its characters. I've always believed this.

>> No.10619930

>>10611705
stuff like this is why i love CE

>> No.10619932 [DELETED] 

>>10617484
>>10618423
>>10618526
>>10618627
Faggot tranny mods leave all this pro-build engine bullshit up and then delete all the posts supporting halo in a halo thread, lmao. This board is a fucking joke.

>> No.10619951 [DELETED] 

why is this thread autosaging?

>> No.10619961 [DELETED] 

>>10619951
More people on this board like Halo than the mods thought, and there's been too much legitimate criticism of their mid 90s poop-and-blood shooters. They figured it was time to let the thread die. 2 weeks of Halo chads BTFO'ing poop niggers became too much for them to handle.

Reminder for anybody who sees this to check the archives on warosu.org so you can see all the shit mods deleted and how biased they are.

>> No.10620037 [DELETED] 

>>10619951
The janitor hates Halo and loves Zelda, he autosages or nukes threads where he doesn't like what people are saying. I wish I was joking but it's literally the case. He's as bad as Chris-chan but for Ocarina of Time and young boy Link.

>> No.10620320 [DELETED] 

>>10620037
Yup, I’ve had at least 10 posts deleted some were just joke but on topic some were saying something as simple as I figure it was a jannie who posted then deleted the screen shots of the beta that everyone jumped on and called out. Then I got a warning for that. So I guess all I’m allowed to say is: Halo CE is the king of FPS.

>> No.10620326 [DELETED] 

>>10620320
I fully expect to be banned for my above post. Let’s make way for the next OoT, Mario, doom posts. I would make a stronger argument for Halo CE being the king but most of what I’ve posted is auto deleted within minutes to an hour.

>> No.10620530 [DELETED] 

>>10620326
mods stopped caring because they set the thread to autosage and forgot about it, kek

>> No.10620847 [DELETED] 

Not banning but just deleting post after post huh? Halo is king.

>> No.10620854

>>10618423
This is totally untrue

>> No.10621410

>>10590320
true

>> No.10621495 [DELETED] 

>>10621410
Any topic feat halo gets insta deleted now that the mod got caught being a faggot in this thread