[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 131 KB, 480x480, godly.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1055994 No.1055994[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

/vr/ can you guys recommend some godly old DOS games.
bonus points for Stealth games
and horror games

Also DOS game General

>> No.1056001

>>1055994
Megaman DOS.

>> No.1056006

Before you play any game anyone else recommends

Find a working version of Terminator: Future Shock, and play it

Before ANYTHING else

>> No.1056008

Daggerfall was the best horror game I ever found though it was meant to be a RPG. You can rest in the first (tutorial) dungeon just to wake up with a monster immune to your weapon and can't do jack shit about it. All of those monster sounds and the dark mazes that they call dungeons can really spook you if you were to get lost. This is a game where you save before resting, save after resting and pretty much save after a door or two in a dungeon just to be safe. I can't ever see anyone playing it as a rougelike and actually get anywhere.

Weird how games with amazing graphics can only hope to get a jumpscare out of me where an old as dirt game seriously make me fear for my character's life.

If all of that said it is really only worth playing if you want to dungeon crawl in a spooky place for some random reason. The game itself have aged badly and I can't really recommend it unless you are a huge fan of Elder Scrolls, like to roleplay or just in it for random dungeons.

Sorry if that isn't an acceptable answer but I don't know that many DOS games. I grew up with the NES/SNES/Genesis and never went into computers until much later in life. I am sure many people are aware of the game by now anyway.

>> No.1056012

System Shock

>> No.1056015

Tie fighter, Syndicate, Indiana Jones and fate of theatlantis

>> No.1056023

>>1055994
>that email
play Secret Agent games basic platform games but somehow cool as fuck

>> No.1056040
File: 81 KB, 640x400, momrev03.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Master Of Magic

>> No.1056051

Why not ask /vr/?

>> No.1056052

>>1056001
Shit. I came in here to recommend that.
In that case, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Seriously though, Alone in the Dark is a good bet.

>> No.1056068
File: 438 KB, 958x712, li-hr-giger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Darkseed has pretty good atmosphere if you can stand really obtuse adventure game logic. And it features art by H.R. Giger.

>> No.1056074

Google :
Ancient DOS Games
This guy reviewed a lot of DOS games, just to give you a good grasp.
Also, try USNF if you like jet simulators, Day of the Tentacles if you like adventure, Warcraft or Heroes of Might and Magic if you like strategy.

I can advise you to use mobygames game browser, select DOS and maybe a year so you can find some gems.

>> No.1056079

>>1056068

The music and art in this game freak me out.

>> No.1056193

Ultima Underworld.
It has stealth skills and spells and enemies with varying hearing and viewing range though stealth is not very useful since you can just run past opponents.

>> No.1056229

>>1056193
>>1056008
I'd say Ultima Underworld and Daggerfall are the best free-roaming dungeon crawlers on the platform.

What was Underworld 2 like?

>> No.1056235

>>1056229
Basically improved on the first game in every aspect, but don't take my word for it. You should definitely play it after you've beaten the first one.

Looking Glass Studios was kind of like that, look at Thief vs. Thief II to see the same efefct.

>> No.1056242
File: 3.00 MB, 3643x4000, 1354649195499.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1056283

>>1056242
Sad that Trinity and A Mind Forever Voyaging aren't on there.

>> No.1056290

>>1056235
Isn't the dungeon just a sewer? How does that handle the denizens of the dungeon in a way even remotely similar to UW1?

>> No.1056294

XCOM

>> No.1056296

>>1056229
Underworld 2 expanded on the first game with various new elements, an overhauled interface, larger and more varied locations, more detailed sprites.
The plot is far more connected to the Ultima main series and gives you some degrees of freedom in how you solve certain issues.

>>1056290
Do you build your impression on Spoony's video? The sewer is merely the introduction. It's called the Labyrinth of Worlds for a reason. There are 8 worlds you travel to, each with its own atmosphere.

>> No.1056408
File: 418 KB, 900x1283, riki-1996-10-037[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1056473

>>1056408
god damn i played that game way back

dont even know how or who i got that game from, i just remember playing it all the way to the end

starting from prehistoric times each level takes you further and further in time, as you go through the ages of history until you reach the future

>> No.1056478

>>1056229

Agree with the poster here >>1056296, but would like to add in against it that it's not really as well paced.

You have a tough early game, and then once you break out into the other worlds, you have a cruise for the first 4 or so, followed by tons of dungeon grinding.

I still do like UW2 overall a teeny bit more, but from a pure game standpoint, I think UW1 holds itself together better, if that makes sense.

>> No.1056493

>>1056478
The sewers have some tough opponents and platforming. If you played Underworld 1 this should be doable but a newcomer can be overwhelmed quickly. You will also only revive if you die in the other worlds, death in Britannia is permanent.
Grinding in the Pits of Carnage isn't necessary unless you skilled extremely poorly. 2 is more forgivable than 1 in that regard since you get far more skill points.

The balancing in both games is poor. Strength is extremely vital while dexterity and dex-based skills almost useless.

>> No.1056534

>>1056493

I don't mean it quite like that.

What I mean is.

Sewers: Run and gun and fight. Most of the fights actually are pretty easy; and the ones that aren't (the dread spiders, the gazer, the reaper, and the headless mobs) are all easily avoidable until you come back at a higher level.; but still, it's your sword arm that does all of the talking. The only people to talk to are Fissif, and those gobbies.

Prison tower: All dialog; you potentially don't have to fight at all.

Killorn: 90% dialog, there's a few weak headlesses in the basement, and even Relk will just wait around for you to cut him in half.

Ice caves: Exploration, even the yetis are weak as hell, and the snow cats and ice worms are weaker still. You spend most of the time wandering around and exploring

Talorous: All talking, pretty much.

And then, BAM

Academy: Fight everything

Pits of Carnage: Talk to a few people, fight everything.

Praecor Loth's tomb :Fight everything, expo at the end and with helena

Void: Fight everything!

Endgame: More slaughter!

UW1, IMO, did a much better job at interspersing the action parts, and the dialog/reflective parts. There were very few areas that were completely secure, and there was often a need to kill a monster, run back, and then venture out again from your comparatively safe zones.

UW2 has much more of a "this is a dialog world" or "This is a fighting world", and I wasn't crazy about it.

>> No.1056560

>>1055994
alone in the dark 1,2, and 3 they are the first survival horror game that played like the old ps1 resident evils. they arn't as scary as you might think there are a few things here and there that might get you, but the games are pretty b movieish.

>> No.1056705

>>1056534
Talorus has combat once you skup the Bliy Skup Ductosnore and the Vorz turn on you.
Anodunos has the ice golem as a relatively tough opponent you need to kill to gain access to the city.
Scintillus Academy is more puzzle and platforming. Many of the fights can be avoided.
Ethereal Void is orientation and platforming
Pits of Carnage has the option to avoid the arena fights by befriending the troll. The lowest levels aren't really necessary until the endgame.

Britannia is your safe zone where you need to go in order to level up. Event the Academy exam gives you an option to abort it.

>> No.1056713

I've been using DOSBox SVN Daum but a lot of games just feel wrong. I think it has something to do with the cycles but they are either too fast or choppy or whatever.

>> No.1056780

>>1056705
actually in both UWs, you get most of your XP from completing quests.so if you're fast enough, you can run pass or ignore most enemies, and still have enough sword/mace/axe/mana points defeat all the plot enemies and "boss" fights

killing stuff is mostly optional in the UW games if you know what you're doing. it's really 99% an exploration and puzzle game.

and people who do speedruns use the glitch where you find a wand of fireball or flamewind, turn it into ash(fireball it or throw it in UW2), and you get an unlimited debris of fireballs or whatever. then they blow up everything with free magic!

>> No.1056796

Wolfenstein 3D
Spear of Destiny
Doom
Doom II
Commander Keen IV
WarCraft
WarCraft II
Castles II
Z
Command & Conquer

>> No.1056837

>>1056780
You get XP for exploring, not for quests.
You can run down the Abyss without talking to anybody or ever drawing a weapon and still end up level 9 when you reach Tyball.

>> No.1056893

>>1056242
>>1056283

It's okay. Star Control II *is* on there, and that's all that matters. It's also open source now. The open-source version even includes the voiceovers from the 3DO version that the DOS version didn't have, because it came on floppies.

My favourite game ever. Still have the boxed copy I bought when I was a kid.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/