[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 14 KB, 256x308, 256px-Blood_logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1050831 No.1050831[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Is there anyone out there that love and appreciates this masterpiece as much as I do? It is one of my personal favorite games and classic fps. I like so much about this game. So lets talk about it perhaps? Other classic fps welcome too; Redneck Rampage, Duke 3d, Quake, Dark Forces etc. lets go!

>> No.1050859

>>1050857
I meant Blood

>> No.1050857

So I've got a question

I want to buy this game off ebay in the big box. But I've heard about multiple versions of the game being censored. I'm curious if someone knows if the "special edition" is the censored version. I'm sure there was a patch and blahblahblah, but if I'm going to spend an arm and leg and buy a boxed copy, I want the uncut version fuck.

>> No.1050885

>>1050831
>Is there anyone out there that love and appreciates this masterpiece as much as I do?
Oh yes OP.

It is indeed my favourite single player FPS of all time. I love Blood.

Really pains my heart that the source code was never released so we never got any source ports.

>> No.1050910

>>1050857
> special edition
Never heard of it. You mean One Unit: Whole Blood, that includes patched game and all the addons? No, it's not censored.

>> No.1051040

AFAIK, only the Australian, U.K, and German releases were censored. There are also Uncensor patches for those versions. They will also uncensor if you install the Plasma Pak or Cryptic Package.

Really, I'd just get the boxed version as a novelty/collectible, and get One Unit Whole Blood to actually play. Unless of course the boxed version is One Unit Whole Blood, in which case, have fun.

PROTIP: If playing on an old DOS rig, you should actually have as much as 64MB RAM if you get One Unit Whole Blood, because that version somehow upped the requirements from 16MB RAM to 48MB RAM.

>> No.1051327

>>1050885
I guess the source code was "lost" I don't know what the hell that's supposed to mean or if it's just some bullshit. Really sucks because I don't doubt there would be some good ports and mods and such.

Only hope now is this
http://xlengine.com/
as it will eventually support blood

>> No.1051349

Hitscan Enemies Around Every Corner: The Game

Crudux Cruo!

>> No.1051406
File: 497 KB, 1600x1066, $(KGrHqV,!rMFIg6uShb,BSJrJS55mQ~~60_57.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1051040
The UK edition (EIDOS release with the Gargoyle and the Blood stone slab in the front) is not censored.

I have no knowledge about an Australia-specific release, but the Special Edition IS indeed censored. It's marked by a small red stripe at the top left corner of the front cover. Thanks for the image goes to whoever you are.

>> No.1051787
File: 283 KB, 620x465, 71022.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love this game. I used to think it was only average, but I replayed it rather recently and I raelized how great it was, all the way through.

I especially like the last episode because it has unrealistic conceptual maps based on level design and gameplay alone; without trying to represent places that look like something real. I like those due to the originality of the ideas; but I also love as much episode 2 with the realistic places and references to horror movies.

For people who've already beat the game and Cryptic Passage (FANTASTIC add-on made by the same guys who did the best add-ons for Duke3D, Redneck Rampage and Shadow Warrior as well) I recommend those 2 high quality fan made mods (especially the 2Nd one):
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ratm
http://www.moddb.com/mods/death-wish-for-blood

If you play Death For A Wish, go for Skill3. It gets really hard and stingy on ammo.

>>1051327
The source code wasn't lost. The creator of the game wanted to make a free sourceport for free on his spare time but Atari, which somehow owns the rights to the game, wouldn't let him. All hope isn't lost though. Maybe Atari will try to make it and release it for a price...

>> No.1051831

This is my favorite FPS, tied with Tribes 1. First time I played it was around 1995 or 96 or 97, in a Swiss book store. Never touched it again until summer 2012, when I downloaded the GOG version.

>>CRUOX CRUDO
I love them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VocmomcgMsY

>> No.1051842

I wouldn't worry too much about accidentally getting a censored version. There's an official patch to restore all the blood, guts, and soccer ball zombie heads.

>> No.1051902

>>1051406
I miss those old big PC game boxes. They were so magical and enticing.

>> No.1051919

Definitely the best of the 2.5D FPSs. Shame its source code wasnt released, so there isn't a proper source port for it. Not even a Megaton/Redux release. Now I'm sad.

>> No.1052330 [DELETED] 
File: 45 KB, 320x240, blood_790screen001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Blood > Doom > Shadow Warrior > Duke Nukem 3D

Just my opinion.

Blood being better than Doom is extremely marginal for me but I think ultimately it is the better game. Of course I acknowledge that its legacy and influence on the gaming landscape absolutely pales in coparison to the granddaddy that is Doom but as I standalone game I just enjoy it more.

Blood is my favourite single player FPS of all time. It was always in my top 5 but I only realised it was my number 1 when I went back to it recently.

/vr/ needs more Blood threads.

>> No.1052340
File: 45 KB, 320x240, blood_790screen001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Blood > Doom > Shadow Warrior > Duke Nukem 3D

Just my opinion.

Blood being better than Doom is extremely marginal for me but I think ultimately it is the better game. Of course I acknowledge that its legacy and influence on the gaming landscape absolutely pales in coparison to the granddaddy that is Doom but as I standalone game I just enjoy it more.

Blood is my favourite single player FPS of all time. It was always in my top 5 but I only realised it was my number 1 when I went back to it recently.

Though Blood was never a hugely popular game, the fact that its source code was never released was a huge bane for it and unfortunately it meant that it was never able to be immortalised as it should have been with mods, source pords etc. I don't blame modern gamers for not being able to handle its dated graphics, lack of 1:1 mouse control and general poor performance on DOSBOX in this day and age. If however it had something like Duke Nukem HRP or jDoom/gzDoom then gamers today might have been able to appreciate and understand it more.

That said, I still adore it and can play it fine on DOSBOX. Blood's best quality is its gameplay and if you give it a chance you might understand why.

>> No.1052352

I thought it was merely okay. Didn't enjoy it as much as Duke and SW for some reason.

>> No.1052353

>>1052340
Duke 3D's HRP is shit though. If someone can't "handle the dated graphics" (to use your expression), then he shouldn't play old FPS games at all.

>> No.1052362

>>1050831

Blood was an epitome of source engine games: you had a snarky main hero, butt ravaging difficulty, interesting arsenal of weapons and really clever level design (most of them based on low budget horror movies)

>> No.1052415

>>1052353
Pretty much this. HRP is plagued with inconsistent visuals and why should Blood be regarded as a game with "bad graphics" when people here constantly praise DOOM or Quake? I don't get it.

>> No.1052479

>>1051787
>Death Wish

Seconding this. I played through it a year or so ago and was very pleasantly surprised. I don't remember what difficulty I played on but like all Blood episodes starting out is the hardest part. Once you get some momentum and have good weapons you'll be okay.

>> No.1052486

I know this is a Blood thread but I'm surprised Shadow Warrior gets as much love as it does around here. I know it's better to have just about anything in that old style than a linear setpiece corridor FPS, but man, Shadow Warrior to me is full of shitty, poorly-animated enemies with hitscanners everywhere and levels that flow way worse than Duke and Blood. I've tried to get through it a dozen times and everything feels bad. Ah well, different tastes I guess.

>> No.1052505

>>1052340
>Blood being better than Doom

They're good at different things. Doom is rock-solid with a balanced arsenal, enemy roster, and super smooth great feeling movement and rhythm.

Blood, on the other hand, can be janky as hell at times, but has a ton of awesome features and creativity. It's crazy and over the top, not the most tightly designed game but with a lot of explosions and damaging the environment and setting enemies on fire and kicking their heads around. And that's why I love it. Also those levels are so fun to explore with how interconnected they are.

>> No.1053941

>>1052505
I find Blood very balanced and "tightly designed", with smart enemy types and smart weapons. it's all about constantly switching weapons to use the right one according to the situation, which is why so many people consider Blood "hard, even though it's not, it's because the game is smart and you have to think a little, rather than any modern FPS in which any weapon works against anything.

If anything I find it better than Doom in that regard.

>> No.1054453

>>1052362
You seemed to have mispelled douk noukem.

>> No.1054705

>>1052486
While it may be mostly about blood I did say talk about other classic fps is cool too

>> No.1056415

"...puttin on the ritz..."

>> No.1056507

Blood is the epitome of the DOS FPS

>> No.1056520

>>1053941
Blood has several; enemies that can't hit you at all if you're ducking, including one of the main bosses.

There are times when cultists can shoot you but your shots will be blocked by corners or objects.

The gargoyles have that really annoying flying pattern where it can take them forever to come down to your level.

Most of the combat setups rely on ambushes with enemies placed around corners or in nooks, which can trivialize them when you retry the same area.

I don't think it's a bad game at all and you definitely have to master the weapons, especially the dynamite, which is probably the most satisfying thing in the whole game--getting those tosses right to blow up a whole pack of cultists or zombies before you take too much damage.

>> No.1059268

So I must ask. I'm not familiar with the term hitscan, what exactly does it mean?

>> No.1059273

>>1059268
When a weapon fires there is no projectile, it directly, instantly, hits the target in front of it; no matter the distance.

For example in Doom, the chaingun is a hitscan weapon. The rocket launcher is a projectile weapon.

>> No.1059629

>>1056520
>Blood has several; enemies that can't hit you at all if you're ducking, including one of the main bosses.
Which? I noticed this with the fat guy that spits at you but not with any others.

>The gargoyles have that really annoying flying pattern where it can take them forever to come down to your level.
There's a way to get them if you know the game actually. But even so, so what? Just ignore them if they don't come down.

>> No.1059854

>>1059273
> instantly, hits the target in front of it; no matter the distance.
While that's typically the case, it's not always true and is not specifically a requirement.

You could for example have bouncy rails in Q3 and there is a mod for that, where they could bounce of solid objects 85 times and so fourth and hit things underneath and behind you, and the shot is still instantaneous and hitscan. You could have a hitscan weapon that shoots in a spiral pattern around you instantly. Where it hits is irrelevant. That it hit as a ray check is relevant rather than existing as an entity in the game.
Other non straight forward hitscan weapons are the lightning gun from quake which produces 3 segment hitscans for the lightning shaft to check for a hit and have a distance limit and also 'effectively' sway.
Or the melee weapons in L4D2 (maybe even 1 I haven't checked) that actually do multiple short rays in a pattern based on the specific weapon that roughly matches the arc that the weapon is swung.

The hitscan check could also be timed differently or rescanned over intervals of time or space to produce different firing effects. Such as lasers that stay activated or a gun with a laser effect that lasts a certain amount of time for example.

>> No.1061280

>>1059854
>spergin this much

hitscan means that it draws an instant ray to it's target, no more no less.