[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 247 KB, 1000x861, axel video games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10484201 No.10484201 [Reply] [Original]

Have you convinced acquaintances to play retro games with you, or do you play them alone? What do they think of your hobby?

>> No.10484205

>>10484201

most of my friends are into them, but we don't live near each other or anything so playing them together is rare. they obviously support it, my wife I can sometimes get to play a light gun game with me.

other friends I've made (not my core group) aren't really into it but will be like "dude you have Mario!!" upon first coming to my house and seeing I have a SNES

>> No.10484213

>>10484201
>be me
>want to share retro hobby with people
>realize all of this shit is expensive now
>probably should keep it under wraps so nothin goes missing and no one thinks about robbing me
>say nothing

>> No.10484416

Bold of you to assume I have acquaintances or friends.

>> No.10484440

>>10484205
>most of my friends
>my wife
>other friends I've made
get the FUCK out

>> No.10485338

>>10484201
the vast majority of people don't give a single fuck that i play retro games. on the other hand, i never say that one of my major hobbies is videogames anymore because when i say that, it could mean all kinds of things. moms at work think it means i play bortnite because their kids play "videogames" and "videogames" are bortnite. i stopped telling dudebro coworkers that i play games because then i have to have the conversation that goes:

>awww duude, i'm a pretty big gamer myself. have you played [insert name of flavor of the month AAA game nobody will remember]?
>nah, i'm not interested.
>WHY WOULDN'T YOU BE INTERESTED IT'S ONLY THE BIGGEST GAME EVER
fork in the road
>A. explain how AAA games suck ass and how morrowind and even o'blivion were better. not to mention daggerfall. then they think i'm some kind of autistic purist, which i kind of am, but that's none of their fucking business.
>B. just say "eh, i dunno, just not into it" and avoid revealing my power level.

greentext story aside, it's rude as fuck to lash out at someone because they don't like what you like.

anyway, going forward if the subject of videogames comes up i'll probably just say something like "eh, i like old games but that's about it. i don't really keep up with it anymore". which is a complete lie because i keep close tabs on the industry, i just don't like the vast, vast majority of it.

>> No.10485387

>>10484201
My fiance and I play together and we go back and forth between newer, indie and retro. She's not the type to go looking for older games to play but there are a handful she ended up liking a lot. We're currently replaying the classic Tomb Raider series, which I introduced her to but she got hooked on. I know I'm lucky.

>> No.10485413
File: 2.57 MB, 1378x2048, sfz-series3-rose_big.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10484201
My buddy was the one who got me off my ass to set up Fightcade 2 and we've used it a bunch as of late and I'm glad we did. I want to play some PS1 stuff on Duckstation rollback with him too but that's more involved like with the Naomi board stuff on FC2.

>> No.10485446

>>10484201
Most of my acquaintances are my age so they at least have nostalgia for the games I play, and I don't hang out with normals so a few of my friends are into old games still anyway

I have some younger normalfag cousins who are into modern games and gaming conversations can tend to be like >>10485338 but it's whatever, not really an issue I just don't play games with them

Also, I think this mentality of "new good old bad" is something really more with the current generation, cause when I was in my teen years even it was a bit dorky to play old games but people I knew still went back to SNES and shit for fun even while PS2-PS3 was out, being into "retro" anything was a more hip concept I guess, cause while it made you seem a little more like a dorky gamer it also lended a sense of credibility and almost like bragging rights of being "old school"

>> No.10485454

>>10484201
>Have you convinced acquaintances to play retro games with you, or do you play them alone?
Almost never succeded. I have better luck with newer games. People around me don't have the mindset or appreciation for retro games.
>What do they think of your hobby?
I guess they honestly don't mind, since it's a pretty tame hobby and I don't go overboard. It never caused me any harm with my relationships.

>> No.10485475

>>10485338
>"eh, i like old games but that's about it. i don't really keep up with it anymore"
I do the same, but, in my case, it's the truth. Maybe an occasional new game with the style of the old may catch my attention, but I mostly focus on the past.

>> No.10485547

>>10484201
My only friend is kinda a wannabe-retro gamer. He acts like he is into them, but gets annoyed by their difficulty and doesn't have a real interest in research on his own to look deeper into whats available and only is aware of surface level stuff his older brothers played. He has an nes he got from a uncle, but doesn't play it and he says he wants to build a retro collection, but when we are out at conventions or wherever, he is never willing to spend more then 10 dollars for a game or doesn't take my suggestions to get cheaper stuff i recommend that i have played before. He likes the ps2 and the gamecube as far as nostalgic systems, maybe also ps1 and 64, but idk the last time he has played those. He plays a lot of big name modern titles and has recently gotten back into a Mario kick, so he has been wanting for us to go back and play the older 2D games in addition to Wonder. Ive exposed him to less known stuff he has enjoyed like Wild Guns and Mario RPG which he got both of the remakes of based on that experience. I also try and show him a bunch of modern retro indie games ive played like Blazing Chrome which he is more inclined to play. He absolutely hates strategy rpgs and fighters, though I force him to play coop in Fatal Fury and street fighter alpha with the hopes the genre clicks for him and he wants to actually play them in a versus mode(probably not gonna happen because even learning to hold back to block goes over his head)

>> No.10485556

>>10485338
>i never say that one of my major hobbies is videogames anymore because when i say that, it could mean all kinds of things.

Same, dude. I just say i fuck around with old electronics and tvs and if someone presses deeper, i will let them know its mostly in regards to playing games.

>> No.10485557

>>10485338
>don't really keep up with it anymore". which is a complete lie because i keep close tabs on the industry, i just don't like the vast, vast majority of it.
Are you me?

>> No.10485595

Yeah ppl come over and are like "DUDE DUCK HUNT WITH THE GUN" or "DUDE IS THAT A SEGA GENESIS WITH A MULTITAP" and then we play NBA Jam TE

>> No.10485781

>>10485338
if youre not rude, youre living life wrong

>> No.10485791

>>10485781
it's rude for the other guy, not me. well, it's rude if i did it too. listen, you don't have to explain yourself to anyone.

>> No.10485915

>>10484201
I can't even comprehend the loneliness inherent in making a thread like this. What went wrong in your life?
"Convince"? What? You could not keep me and my friends' hands OFF video games when we were kids. Practically every single day was spent, if not at the arcades, biking to one another's house to spend all day on each others' nintendos.

I just don't.. fuck, man. Fuck. What happened? How did it get like this for you?

>> No.10485942

>bought a second controller only to play multiplayer games with friends
>used all my CD-Rs to burn multiplayer games
>call my friends over to hang out
>they never come
>realize I never have friends over because they probably don't really like hanging out with me and just put up with me since we're on the same social circle

Feels bad, man.

>> No.10485971

Sold off a bunch of excess gaming stuff and made a friend that bought most of it. They have arcade games in their basement, and complemented my collection. I should give him a call soon, thanks OP.

>> No.10486637
File: 166 KB, 850x907, __aisaka_taiga_and_takasu_ryuuji_toradora_drawn_by_justin_leyva_steamy_tomato__sample-bfad7eea61f58f12f6789c7aac1df4cb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10484201
I usually play them alone, and prefer it that way to be honest, but I'll sometimes play with my GF, she grew up with a Master System and SNES as a kid, loved them both, and has her favorites which I've managed to download and let her play again after all of these years, she was really happy too.

Bubble Bobble.
Super Bomberman.
Top Gear.

These are her favorites by far, and we eventually beat a few of them together, with Bomberman being a highlight since we got addicted to the whole series. I tried playing Bonanza Bros. with her, but it was after her house had been robbed and she got upset because it reminded her of it.

>> No.10486685
File: 270 KB, 1280x720, datafrog1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10484201
We haven't played them together yet but I got one of my friends a Famiclone handheld and an emulator handheld. They're a fun way to get people into retro gaming, especially if they grew up without video games or post-2000

>> No.10486864

>>10485915
>"Convince"? What?
anon, most normalfaggots won't venture beyond the popular flavor of the month games. Yes, 'convince', sometimes even trying to get them play CURRENT games that aren't popular is a monumental task.

>> No.10486920

No, I mainly play RPGs. Comfy times.

>> No.10486929
File: 43 KB, 355x500, mario-45204-normal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10486864
A lot of people literally were not alive back then

Anyone born post-2000 is not going to remember the 8-bit or 16-bit days, in many cases not even the 32-bit/64-bit days

>> No.10486989

>>10485915
>I can't even comprehend the loneliness
You will... In less than 5 months.