[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 192 KB, 619x597, Lookin' good.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10414876 No.10414876 [Reply] [Original]

Might be better on /g/, but since the main topic is emulation I'll post it here: What does your setup for emulation look like? For the longest time I was using a fire stick with retroarch on it hooked up to my crt with an HDMI to AV converter (surprisingly little lag), but I've been thinking about getting a mini PC or something like it to replace it.

>> No.10414881
File: 35 KB, 340x213, my rig.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10414876

>> No.10415170
File: 3.46 MB, 1920x1440, Resident Evil - Director's Cut (USA)-231110-172903.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10414876

Isn't emulating from PC to a crt tv kind of a bitch? Like you have to have an old AMD graphics card that outputs analog signal and you have to setup emudriver or something?

Anyway my setup is emulation on Retroarch on a 1440p monitor with shaders. Does the job quite well

>> No.10415182
File: 72 KB, 792x596, the UTE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10414876
>I was using a fire stick with retroarch on it hooked up to my crt
I just fuckin chuck'em in the UTE eh. Never bothered with Retroarch. I use different emulators for each system separated by program folder like pic rel. I prefer it this way.

As for display. Fuckin, I use my regular 4k monitor, but the ideal seems like an HDMI to Svideo converter and a display that works with that. idk if HDMI to DVI or some shit will be better than HDMI to Svideo but I got fucking DUNKED on when I showed other anons I was using regular AV/RCA cables. I don't know much about PC displays from that era since I am only 29. The resolution of that pic is because I am using a fucking 14" FUZZY ass CELERA tv that doesn't even support stereo (the red wire) because Gigabyte aka Gigakike's monitors break within a year. Fucking terrible Chinese company.

>> No.10415194

>>10415182

I was you a few years ago. Not to derail the thread or but I'm telling you Retroarch is better. No input lag, shaders + cloud saving if you use Steam version so you don't have to constantly backup saves. The consolidated front end thing is pretty much a secondary thing but it does feel better than juggling a dozen emulators. It feels infinitely better and more comfy, if you can deal with the console-like menus. At least for gen 5 consoles and back, it's just better, I hate to see you miss out.

>> No.10415269
File: 129 KB, 1280x720, pizza-cat-a-japanese-pizza-hut-p.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>think of game
>download it and play it
>no desire to waste time on fag shit like hardware or settings

>> No.10415923

Due to misfortune, I had a number of expensive laptops break over the span of a few years and I was tired of shelling out 500+ USD. I ended up getting a raspberry pi4, not realizing the difference between ARM and x86 architecture. Emulated on my phone and used the pi4 as a desktop computer for awhile. Got a new pc, so I've stopped playing on my phone and now my use my pi4 to emulate. I just installed retropie and called it good. Got everything working, but I've been playing modern games lately.

>> No.10416941

>>10414876
I used to use a Firestick but felt like I was hitting a ceiling. The OS is gimped, on board storage is tiny, and the amount of otg cables and hubs I needed to get real use out of it sucked. I switched to an nvidea shield tv pro and it's way better. I can use standalone emulators or retroarch and I can even get some ps2 games running on it at a semi-decent framerate. It was that or a good mini pc for 2-3 times the money.