[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 33 KB, 400x300, 1685633029460224.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10400979 No.10400979 [Reply] [Original]

does exploring and talking to NPCs help immerse you into vidya or are you a balls to the wall action addict? A lot of retro games are short on story and high in gameplay, but some games have interesting ideas portrayed through not exactly gameplay, but interaction with the world. What do you prefer? Do certain games draw you into a genre you normally wouldn't play? Why?

>> No.10400995

I like both. I don't just play one type of game, that gets boring to me. Sometimes I like games that are really high energy and demanding, sometimes I like games that are more immersive and can be played at a slower pace. Sometimes I like something in between, and this is where a lot of games like platformers come in

>> No.10401372

>>10400979
King Da Ka is incredibly boring, the over the shoulder restraints kill the fun.
Top Thrill Dragster was the GOAT. The swing launch will suck and you can't beat the way it was. RIPERINO

>> No.10401386

>>10401372
Based Cedar Point enjoyer. How do you feel about Steel Vengeance?

>> No.10401432

>>10401386
I am a rather big Steve fan but IMO Maverick is better. It's definitely a hot take but my personal favorite, save for Dragster is Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood. The 2nd half is one hell of an airtime buffet.

Also to answer your question legitimately, NPC behavior does help enhance gameplay for me. When it comes to my preferred genres, (creative coaster builders or racing games.) For the former some degree of NPC thought is obviously ideal. I prefer the guests thought patterns from RCT3 to Planet Coaster.
NPC's in racing games (story driven at least) are crucial for atmosphere. I'm currently playing through Tokyo Xtreme Racer Drift 2 and the fact that each rival racer has a little blurb actually adds quite a bit to the experience.

>> No.10401442

>>10400979
If they're scripted well, yes. Pokemon NPCs have absolutely classic lines I can still recall.
"I did my best, I have no regrets!"
"I wear shorts all year round, even in winter!"
"Kurukroo! Like my bird call?"

These absolute classics get me time after time.

>> No.10401493

>>10400979
In RPGs the NPCs are usually more interesting than the gameplay, and they might have hints or items, so I like to go around talking to them.
In the Megaman Zero games on the other hand, the talking was a lame interruption in gameplay and I recall you rarely got any more lore from doing extra talking to NPCs because all the juicy bits are just part of the story or shown through details in the levels.

>> No.10401707

I like when NPCs say different things when you talk to them again, it makes they feel more real. But it's a double edged sword, because it means you're going to waste your time making sure to talk twice to every one and sometimes they'll just repeat the same thing.

Also when you're far into the game and backtrack to an earlier town, talk to an NPC, and they give you the same information that they did previously except now that info is outdated, it really kills the immersion. This is one thing most RPGs fails at especially when they have the mandatory moment late in the game when the player is asked to backtrack through the entire world cluelessly in search of what to do to progress, this moment is supposed to make the player reminisce about his adventure and realize how big the world is but if everyone says the same old shit it just feels lame. This would be the perfect moment to give new lines to NPCs but few RPGs do that.