[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 125 KB, 250x343, smb 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1036319 No.1036319 [Reply] [Original]

So apparently I have a friend who thinks Super Mario Bros 3 is overrated.

That's literally the first I've ever heard someone say something like that. I've heard people say they prefer other Mario games, but I've honestly never heard anyone call Mario 3 overrated.

Is he right, /vr/?

>> No.1036352

Well I believe it is overrated but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's a good game but I wouldn't give it the best nes game title

>> No.1036368

I think it's overrated. I like several other mario games better. For the NES it's probably the best one, though I enjoy 2 (US) quite a bit.

>> No.1037827
File: 159 KB, 394x395, mario3frog.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No, Super Mario 3 is not overrated. I remember when it was first released in 1990. Everyone who was playing video games adored it. It was THE game you had to play. It was revolutionary. I remember how 'shocking' each new world was to explore. If you played games back in 1990, you just couldn't get enough of Mario 3.

If anything, the game is now underrated by today's standards. Lots of gamers have access to every Mario game in existence, so the shock value of Mario 3 is no longer there. Plus the huge world of Mario 3 is not as big as it once was compared to the massive worlds of today's games.

People who grew up in the later era of gaming won't fully understand just how groundbreaking and fun this game was to play back in the NES days. But gamers from the 8-bit era will always recognize Mario 3 as giving them some of their finest gaming memories.

>> No.1037832

does that mean he just doesn't like the game or is he genuinely annoyed at people saying it's the greatest game ever made?

if it's the latter, that's fine - Super Mario Bros 3 is often called the GOAT and that's definitely up for debate.

if it's the former, he's using words wrong and should shut his fat mouth.

>> No.1037845

No, smb3 is a timeless classic

>> No.1037846

Anyone who calls SMB3 "overrated" just doesn't like the game because it's popular.

It lived up to all of the hype and then some.

>> No.1037851
File: 70 KB, 500x671, 1359739526504.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1037827
>Seeing giant land for the first time

>> No.1037905

>>1037851

Yeah, the first time I saw Giant Land I was so shocked. It was one of those moments were you are like, "This is the coolest game ever!"

>> No.1037908

>>1037832
He doesn't think it's a bad game, he just doesn't think it lives up to the hype. He feels the same way about FF7, which I kind of agree with him on.

>> No.1037914

It is in the "greatest game of all time" sense. It's an amazing game, but it's not even the best in the Mario series.

>> No.1037921

That Awesome Games Done Quick run where the guy on the couch is talking all the technical stuff about SMB3 just makes it all the more impressive of a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUju5czXN0w

Skip ahead to 3:48 for the run to begin.

>> No.1037927

>>1036319
your "friend" is obviously a clinton baby. no reagan baby would ever say that about super mario 3.

>> No.1037936

To me the word "overrated" has lost pretty much all meaning. I feel like you at least have to define WHO is doing the overrating. I prefer to just say whether I like a game or not.

I like SMB3 but I don't love it. Other people feel otherwise but I don't like the controls as much as the original. Also I think their should have been a save system, and I'm also not a big fan of auto-scrolling levels. Finally the game seems almost released too early, I think it looks pretty poor on the NES with weird colors.

Just my opinion...It's still fun to play but not one of my favorite Marios.

>> No.1037946

>>1037914
what??
tell me youre not suggesting the best mario is somewhere on a different console

>> No.1037953

I can see why he would say that, seeing as how it's always unquestioningly #1 on any "top nes games" list. But there really aren't any other games on the system as large and involved, except possibly DW4 or FF. But RPGs are something of a "niche" genre, and SMB3 is accessible to almost anyone physically capable of holding an nes controller.

>> No.1037957

I played Mario 3 when it was originally released. It blew me away. The next year, I got Super Mario World on the Super NES. Mario World was great, but it wasn't as exciting as Mario 3.

>> No.1037954

>>1037936
I think you have the right idea. Whether you think a game is overrated or not is mostly just a matter of perspective.

>> No.1037974

Well, he's pretty much wrong anyway. SMB3 is pretty much the best Mario on the SNES, if not the best of 'em all.

I too have stupid friends. One guy who actually likes that Silver Surfer game and the NES Dragon's Lair, and thinks Tag Team Wrestling is superior to Tecmo World Wrestling. God, what an idiot.

>> No.1037978

>>1037974
NES even, sorry about that.

>> No.1037987

>>1037936

when i think overrated i think either overrated by

-professional critics
-a certain community (such as 4chan or even a single board)

it gets iffy when you try to say it's overrated in "real life" which is ridiculously vague

>> No.1038020

>>1036319
Your friend is just being contrary. He's thinks he's being cool by criticizing a game everyone else likes.

>> No.1038021

Mario 3 is probably the only Mario game that isn't overrated. The first revolutionized 2D platforming and 64 revolutionized 3D games in general, but their importance is more historical than based on actual merit. Mario 3 is a masterpiece, and to call it anything less is ignorant.

Galaxy, though. Now there's an overrated game.

>> No.1038035
File: 14 KB, 300x304, cape feather.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've always liked SMW better, but I still think SMB3 is fucking amazing.

>> No.1038048

>>1037974
>NES Dragon's Lair
that's not possible

>> No.1038058

>>1038035

I like Mario 3 the best, but I can understand the love for Mario World. It was a lot of fun trying to 100% the world map and find all the secrets. Plus some of the levels in Mario 3 are pretty short.

>> No.1038060

>>1038058
What always pissed me off about both games was how difficult they got in the later worlds only to disappoint with a really lame final boss. Mario games in general have weak bosses for some reason.

>> No.1038068

>>1038060

Are there any other retro bosses from around the same time that didn't rely on simply hitting the boss with an attack until he's dead? Bosses in Mario games tend to be easy, but they're always beaten in unique and creative ways.

>> No.1038069

>>1037921
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUju5czXN0w

they just keep talking about cancer. how long until they start talking about the game?

>> No.1038072

>>1038068
Maybe I'm thinking too much through the lens of mega man, but I just wish mario bosses had more projectiles and stuff to dodge.

>> No.1038079

It's a great game but it's too easy (though not as bad as Super Mario World in that regard). IMO the best Mario game is Super Mario Bros. 2 on FDS.

>> No.1038087

"Overrated" basically translates to "I personally don't like it" from what I've seen. It's so you don't have to actually explain why you dislike the game, you just say that it's overrated and now nobody can disagree with your incredibly vague statement.

>> No.1038095

>>1038048
Yeah, he must be insane, or somehing, I seriously have no idea how anyone can ever manage to enjoy that piece of shit.

The only good Dragon's Lair is the arcade one, anyway.

>> No.1038098

>>1038087
This.

>> No.1038123

>>1038079
Also if I had a shot at improving the game I would remove the ability to have power-up items in your inventory; i.e. no mushrooms, stars, etc. to be carried between levels. Also no P-Wings at all in the game. That item is a disgrace.

>> No.1038131

>>1036319

SMB3 fucked up with the mechanic where your run gets stuck on after 3-4secs of running, screws up the pacing. SMB was better in this, and most regards. I just wish SMB had the scale of SMB3. Then it would have been the perfect game. Lost levels makes up for that though.

>> No.1038137

>>1036319
its only overrated because its so ridiculously highly rated. and only slightly.

>> No.1038146

>>1038035
Raccoon mario was better than cape mario.

SMW with raccoon instead of cape would have been my ideal.

>> No.1038167

>>1038146
I get the feeling they just replaced the raccoon with the cape because nobody in America understood it.

NoA: "Whats with this raccoon and how does it make you fly?"
Mimo: "It is based on the tanuki, of Japanese folklore."
NoA: "A tanooki? Raccoons can't fly. You know who can fly? Superman."

>> No.1038201

>>1036319
>So apparently I have a friend who thinks Super Mario Bros 3 is overrated.

Your friend is probably a shit head who is trying to be controversial to get attention.

Get better friends.

>> No.1038217

>>1036319
Your friend is more than likely a /v/irgin; kill him when you get the chance

>> No.1038243

Mario series is awesome, I don't give a single solitary shit what anyone else says

>> No.1038251

>>1036319

Super Mario 3 is nothing short of perfection. I consider it one of my favourite games of all time and I put it as better than Super Mario Land 2 and Mario 64 (both 9/10 games in my opinion)

>> No.1038252 [DELETED] 

>>1038243
Why are all of your posts terrible?

>> No.1038257

>>1038167
Never made sense to me why a leaf turns mario into a racoon. Or why the tanooki suit can turn into stone

>> No.1038263

>>1038257
Learn about tanookis. They're raccoon like fictional creatures that change shape. the leaf and stone attributes are historical references.

>> No.1038265
File: 174 KB, 272x435, MARIOSAYSDOIT.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1038257
just be glad they never made a kappa Mario and went with frog.

>> No.1038268

>>1038263
But then why is there a raccoon suit AND a tanooki suit. The bear powerup turns mario into a tanooki but the leaf turns into a racoon.

And don't get me started on why there is a goomba riding around in a shoe.

>> No.1038270

>>1038268
>And don't get me started on why there is a goomba riding around in a shoe.

Foot fungus.

>> No.1038274

>>1038251

I some what agree with this.

The game is pretty much perfect and if you have any idea what the NES library is like you can only appreciate it even more.

>> No.1038283

>>1036319
All it means when someone says something is overrated is that they think it's worse than the average opinion of it.
Not a harsh or exciting comment to make.

>> No.1038296

mario 3 was always too cluttered to me. i get that, for a lot of people thats part of the game's appeal. but i wasnt digging it

also not crazy about the level design. i dont know. i dont like the desert world of 2 or the water world of 3.. a lot of it feels like a chore.

>> No.1038310

>>1036319
I think your friend is nuts honestly. Whether nostalgia or not. That game was fantastic. Great level design, great music, and plenty of powerups to boot. All on 1 NES game. I can remember getting to World 8 and absolutely shitting myself seeing those tanks. A lot of people jump on Super Mario World being the greatest thing, and it is. But if there was one game on the NES that any gamer should have, its SMB3

>> No.1038321

>>1038167
>>1038257

The screwy Japanese-ness of it is the best part.

It's something later Mario games sort of lack, I think.

>> No.1038327

It is overrated.

It's a great game, just doesn't belong on its pedestal as the greatest NES game/platformer/Mario game.

>> No.1038328

>>1038327
>greatest NES game
It probably is the greatest NES game though.

>> No.1038329

>>1037827
>No, Super Mario 3 is not overrated. I remember when it was first released in 1990. Everyone who was playing video games adored it. It was THE game you had to play. It was revolutionary. I remember how 'shocking' each new world was to explore. If you played games back in 1990, you just couldn't get enough of Mario 3.
I agree with all of what you say here, and yet still think it's overrated.

I think people don't actually know what overrated means. Or maybe don't realize just how highly regarded SMB3 is.

>> No.1038331

>>1037846
I like (actually love) SMB3 and it's overrated.

What now? You need to learn what the word means.

>> No.1038412

>>1038021
Galaxy was good, maybe even great for its time, but about 10% as worthwhile as its hype.

Also, SMB3 will always be my favorite of the cannon. SMB2 and SMW tie at second, but there really is something great about the third. The others don't really match it in action and depth, I think. In fact, out of all of the games, it probably has byfar the most themes and features.

>> No.1038419

>>1038412
Mario 3 is the template all other Mario's follow.

>> No.1038420

>>1038079
I found the 3rd Mario game the hardest to be quite honest. I haven't finished it yet I think I gave up on pipeworld.

It was Mario 3 that made me hate swimming levels.Those squid are a pain in the ass when they suddenly appear on screen unsuspectingly.

>> No.1038443

>>1038420

That's probably one of the best parts (not the fucking squid, just the difficulty in general.) SMW really kicks your ass the first time, but after that it beating it is just simple repetition. SMB3 is a world game that's much more based in play-by-play action than a lot of the other games in the series.

>> No.1038813

>>1038265
ell the koopas are kapp so it would just be confusing

>> No.1038830

SMB3 levels, challenges and difficulty with SMW controls and physics would be the perfect 2D SMB game IMO.

>> No.1038831

I've heard this too from various people. I've found that the vast majority of them are those that went back and played it after having already played the SNES Mario games and beyond. It seems to have OoT Syndrome, in that if you didn't play it when it was still new, or if you played a game that had its roots in it but was more modern, it is much harder to fully appreciate.

SMB3 was one of the first video games I ever played. I still remember the feeling of joy it gave me when I got "cat Mario" (weird that's actually a thing now) and heard that twinkly sound when running at full speed and flying through the air. But nostalgia isn't the reason why it's a great game.

The level design is impeccable. Each level is the perfect size, focused on a specific platforming or gameplay element that exemplifies a degree of focus that isn't really found in modern platformers. The abundance of power ups and the inclusion of the inventory system make it greatly replayable. The music is easily some of Kondo's best, with a varied, extremely catchy soundtrack.

I later played World in my teens, and was extremely disappointed. I consider it a step down in nearly every aspect. While World fans boast the large overworld and precise controls as reasons for its superiority, I find that SMB3 has better overworld map design, filled with environmental hazards and obstacles (the canals in World 3, the quicksand traps in World 2, the giant piranha plants in World 7, etc.), and SMW's more "precise" controls essentially amount to Mario having less weight and being able to turn on a dime in mid-air, destroying much of the momentum-based gameplay of SMB3, and getting rid of the challenge that comes from committing to a jump.

I could go on and on, but to keep this short, I find SMB3 to easily be the best Mario sidescroller in terms of design (matched perhaps only by Yoshi's Island), and if any Mario game is overrated, it's World.

>> No.1038838

>>1038131
>>1038830

hey bro, i'm with you.

>> No.1038839

>>1036319
Tell him to actually play it.

>> No.1038848

It's a great game, but overrated in 'It's frequently claimed to be the best ever' or 'It's perfect!'... Yes.

The variety the worlds provide is great, and the short levels - in exchange for no midway points - are fine. But the power-up system is IMO too gimmicky.

It's up there with SMW, certainly. But I'd rather SM 64 above either, and as far as 2D marios are concerned... To be honest, I'd argue that (Non-retro) NSMBU is the perfect blend of SMB3 & SMW.

Also, coming out of left field, in terms of level design and variety, SML2 on the gameboy shits on SMB3 and SMW alike. It's a frequently overlooked gem, and showing an imagination on behalf of the designers that's ahead of everything else ever done in the Mario main series.

>> No.1039149

>>1038328
No.

>> No.1039168

If your friend doesnt like a game, why cant he just say he doesnt like it? Instead of going all out and calling it "overrated". I think he's just trying to send a message.

>> No.1039207

The controls in Mario 3 always seemed a bit off to me. Mario feels oddly floaty, like his jumps dont have enough momentum. Maybe that's because I played the original Super Mario Bros a ton, but I always prefer the physics of that game.

>> No.1039243

>>1039168
there's a lot of people who feel like they need to justify their opinions by presenting them as a popular opinion or common belief.

They "speak for everyone". It can get pretty annoying. OP's friend might not be that case because SM3 is pretty hyped, but it's also damn worthy of that hype.

>> No.1039275
File: 67 KB, 1021x417, wut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1036319
>>1038329
> Mario 3 is overrated.
> I think people don't actually know what overrated means.
I don't think you know what overrated means. Here, let me pull up some definitions for you:

> wiktionary
1. Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity.

> merriam-webster
: to rate, value, or estimate too highly

> urbandictionary
1. Anything that is given too much credit and hype.

Outside of /vr/ and very niche websites, I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about Mario 3 in the past fifteen years. I would imagine, for a game to be receiving 'too much hype', it would have to be talked about. Sometimes. Occasionally?

If anything, it's Mario 64 that is overhyped.

>> No.1039294

>>1037946
It's Super Mario World. Did the world map thing SO much better.

>> No.1039332

If SMB3 is overrated, it is in the same sense that the Beatles and Evangelion are.

In terms of mainstream perception, EVERYBODY loved it when it was new because of what it introduced to a lot of people and how well it was crafted. People loved it so much back then that it still gets all kinds of hype today, but people who weren't around to appreciate it when it first came out will likely judge it by modern standards. It will never be able to live up to those modern standards, so those people will fail to understand the reason behind the hype and, therefore, think of it as being "overrated" these days.

It's what happens when you re-write the book on how to do things in your respective medium. Suddenly those things that seem fresh and new turn old and dated because of how much has been built upon the new standards you set for everyone. Funny thing is, many of those "new standards" that were set are nothing more than improvements and refinements on all sorts of elements and concepts carried out by those in the past. This is the sort of thing that the phrase "standing on the shoulders of giants" refers to.

>> No.1039335

Anyone who says its over rated probably just parrot the people that really feel like it got way too much attention because of that movie. I woulnt trust anyone under thirty years old with that "its over rated" garbage. I wouldnt say it was the greatest game ever, but it did live up to the hype surrounding it at the time.

>> No.1039341

Overrated is usually just a buzzword. Not always, but usually. It makes more sense to say "this was overrated by critics" or "overrated on /v/" or something.

>> No.1039348

all mario games are overrated, especially 3
the only mario game worth playing is kid chameleon

>> No.1039359

Overrated is such a pointless thing to say. Why can't someone just say they don't like something? Overrated says that its other people's opinions that are at fault.

I mean, shit, I didn't tell you that you had to like it, so why are you telling me I like it too much?

>> No.1039462
File: 988 KB, 500x250, the brand you have requested is currently out of stock. we apologize for any inconvenience..gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1037851
This this this this this this this.

>reach world 4 for first time
>overworld makes it look like just another grassy tropical island
>did they run out of ideas already?
>oh well, let's play this shit
>first level looks kind of weird
>HOLY FUCKING SHIT GIANT GOOMBAS WHAT MADNESS IS THIS