[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 382 KB, 1159x1619, cndiddykong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10319372 No.10319372 [Reply] [Original]

I might be risking a ban but I'm really curious about this topic.
Hello /vr/ anons from SA, how was growing up with retro-gaming related stuff (consoles, magazines, school rumors, tv shows, etc..) in your country?
How's the retro-gaming scene nowadays? Do you buy retrogames or do you prefer emulation?
Cheers!

>> No.10319378

>>10319372
Club 63 with info on earthworm him 3? I am interested.

>> No.10319402

How was pre-6th gen gaming in SA? I already know the PS2 was huge here and my country had a small nintendo presence, but i've never seen past gens mentioned outside of famicom and genesis clones.

>> No.10319491
File: 23 KB, 391x387, BanjoBear.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10319402
Chilean here:
The PS1 was dominant, it was cheap and you could get pirated games for $1000 Chilean Pesos on the fleamarket, every kid usually had shit like Winning Eleven mods with Chilean/European Football Clubs, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Crash games, Tony Hawk's, some fighting games, licensed games based on cartoons, movies or anime and either Gran Autismo or NFS Hot Pursuit.
As for Nintendo, SNES was really popular, Killer Instinct in particular was really popular and chileans are still doing tournaments of the first game (either snes or arcade), Pokemania was also huge here, specially because the anime aired on open tv (though I was watching it on TV Cable at the time), I'm not sure if I can say the N64 was big here or not, I remember seeing ads, CN magazines, N64 kiosks and places you could pay to play a few hours of N64 games but I didn't knew many kids with an N64, probably because it was more expensive and difficult to get games for (either rent them at the videoclub or go to a second hand shop to buy or trade used games).
Sega though no idea, only time I remember seeing a Sega console was when I went to a cousin's house and she had a Dreamcast with a racing game, I think there was a Sega TV show where you could call and play Genesis games via your phone (sorta like playing Hugo).
The poorer or much younger kids usually had Famiclones, I had a friend that could only play famiclone games and when I showed him an N64 game he was mind-blown'd haha.
Oh and Arcades were huge too, Snow Bros, Metal Slug, MK2, UMK3, KoF, Marvel vs Capcom and Street Fighter (particularly Champion Edition) are really popular games.

>> No.10319508

>>10319491
At least here in Concepción, you could even buy pirated ps1 games at the mall. We really didn't care whether it was legal or not.
On that note, I quite literally never saw a single person with any Sega consoles or an original Xbox.

>> No.10319530
File: 492 KB, 440x330, 1384652541452.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10319491
I've known at least 1 person with Dreamcast when it was relevant, but a TV show that used to show PS1 games of questionable origin once showed Sonic Adventure when it was new. SNES and PS1 were the most common, with the N64 being the least (I got mine in 2000). I was jealous of people with consoles/games I didn't have, but at least I could enjoy some PC stuff from the later half of the 90s (and oldass emulators from a CD we had).

>> No.10319570
File: 435 KB, 640x480, emurayden.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10319508
Yeah, also never saw an Xbox at all, I remember wanting to get one to play the Conker remake but I never saw one on sale.
>>10319530
Once we got a home PC me and my cousins played a lot of emulated N64 and PS1 games we couldn't get to play on console because they were rare or expensive, seeing PS1 games in high resolutions for the first time or being able to play Conker's BFD (even with the graphical bugs) was amazing.

>> No.10319583

Any Panamanians here, my wife’s from Panama City but didn’t really play games growing up, only Pc games when she moved to the states, I’m curious if there was even any sort of gaming scene in Panama

>> No.10319596

>>10319372
From Brazil. Everything is similar to all that's been said here. So, I'll just answer the question:
>Do you buy retrogames or do you prefer emulation?
If things were still favorable like in the past, I would buy the games. However, I'd rather emulate. It's good enough and I can enjoy all the games I still have fun with.

>> No.10319606

>>10319596
is it true that the sega master system was big in brazil?

>> No.10319624 [DELETED] 

Club Nintendo Mexican Magazine was the equivalent of Club Nintendo USA thanks to that Magazine Mexico and the rest of South America knew Nintendo i remember reading Articles about now Cancelled Games there was Playstation and Xbox Magazine too some of them were from Spain

>> No.10319628 [DELETED] 

Club Nintendo Mexican Magazine was the equivalent of Club Nintendo USA thanks to that Magazine Mexico and the rest of South America knew Nintendo i remember reading Articles about now Cancelled Games there was Playstation and Xbox Magazines too some of them were from Spain Brazil had its own Exclusive Magazine

>> No.10319636

Club Nintendo Mexican Magazine was the equivalent of Nintendo Power USA thanks to that Magazine Mexico and the rest of South America knew Nintendo i remember reading Articles about now Cancelled Games there was Playstation and Xbox Magazines too some of them were from Spain Brazil had its own Exclusive Magazine

>> No.10319676

>>10319508
Fellow penquista. I've never seen a single Sega console here.

>> No.10319703

>>10319606
Yes. And Mega Drive had a good competition with SNES. TecToy was responsible for producing Sega consoles and games in Brazil, so the prices and marketing were adjusted for Brazilian reality. By the time PS1/PS2 came, pirated games took over and they dominated.

>> No.10319704

>>10319606
Yes, it was. Nintendo didn't officially come here until the Super Nintendo, and only by 1993; until then, all we had were famiclones. On the other hand, Sega was officially represented by TecToy here, and the latter even made some translations and romhacks to better appeal to its public. There was a marketing budget and good decisions were made. However, after that, TecToy frequently shat their pants and quality declined. Mega Drive was a little less successful, whereas the Saturn and Dreamcast were almost nonexistent. To this very day, TecToy still exists, always bringing poor products to the table and shutting itself off from feedback.

>> No.10319838

Argie here, pretty much the same as the rest posted here.The original NES was around but rare, the clones "Family Game" and "NASA" ate it's lunch since they were dirt cheap. Mega Drive was hugely more popular than the SNES for most of the country, it was cheaper and the games were mostly clones games from china. PSX was 99% dominant, every single console came with the pirate chip already installed, and you ended up buying 4 or 5 games every time you went out. I've never seen an original PSX game in any store, ever.

As for magazines, the most popular from the early 90's were Action Games (Argentina) , Super Juegos (Spain), Hobby Consolas (Spain) and Club Nintendo (Mexico or Chile, can't remember).

>> No.10319923

>south america
>buying anything

>> No.10320624
File: 89 KB, 960x952, 5byusrate8v11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>check gamesgx top downloads
>pes mods, gta sa mods, dbz bt3 mods, guitar hero mods and RE4 with a fandub
kino

>> No.10320801

Brazil.
One thing that helps to understand is that consoles used to be only affordable by the very rich until 1996 or so, so we had a culture of "locadoras", which was a business where you paid by the hour to play in the consoles. I'm sure you had those in the US and other first-world countries, but here there were locadoras everywhere.
Anyway, we had this weird inter-generational period here, where you had Master Systems together with SNES and PS1s in the same place. I recall the "last hurrah" of locadoras was during the 1999~2003 period, where you had SNES, PS1, N64, Dreamcast and PS2 all together in the same place. I remember vividly when the PS2 arrived here, and there weren't any pirated games for it. We only played Street Fighter EX3, Ridge Racer V and Tekken Tag Tournament. Piracy only came out a year or two later.

As other stated, Sony pretty much dominated here. You still saw SNES or Genesis everywhere, but from the PS1 onwards, it was pretty hard to find stuff like the Saturn or the Neo Geo. We had a ton of N64 because there was a brazilian partner (Gradiente) that distributed the console and games here on behalf of Nintendo. The N64 was popular because of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, mostly. I remember the owner of the locadora nearby telling me that he made so much money from Goldeneye (usually a 4-player game) that he bought 3 more N64s just with the profits.

In the PS1 days, piracy was so rampant that most people never even saw an original disc. When I told my friends that the original disc had a black bottom, they thought I was joking. Then I asked the owner to show us the demo disc that came with the PS1s, and there it was - black bottom. I don't know if you had those in your countries, but we also had "3-in-1"s in the PS1, they were made by a group called "Players". They packed 3 or more games in the same disc by removing FMVs and CD tracks. Even made a menu so you could choose. I remember playing Evil Zone/KOF 98 on the same disc.

>> No.10320802

>>10319923
Based South America.

>> No.10320813

>>10320801
>very rich
Nah... Middle class citizens could afford one; it wouldn't be at launch, and they wouldn't have many (official) games, but it was affordable. You need to stop thinking everyone with more money than you is Bill Gates.

>> No.10320816
File: 62 KB, 170x170, 1668446851305541.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

br here.
the whole "omg master system is still popular in Brazil!" is actually a meme. Yes we do have a manufacturer called tectoy who has the license for sega stuff and yes they kept making master systems (as well as mega drive), but master system was never as popular as memes made you believe it was. In actual times when it could have been popular it was vastly overshadowed by famiclones (which can't be calculated in quantities sold for obvious pirate reasons, but believe me, for every kid who had a master, 50 had a famiclone).
Master system was mostly the low cost sega console aunts and grandmas would get when kids asked for "the Sega" (meaning the mega drive, which is what kids wanted in the 90s, not the Master)
By the late 90s/early 00s, chipped playstations were super affordable thanks to very cheap bootleg games, and K62 computers let everyone play games on PC for cheap also thanks to piracy (and cyber cafes with LAN)
Master system was never a real mvp as people were made to believe. Sorry for breaking the illusion of brazil being magical master system land.

>> No.10320818

>>10320801
Before the arrival of the internet (2001), we didn't have anywhere to look for gaming stuff, so there was a pretty booming gaming magazine business. Most of them didn't survive the internet, although at least one, EGM, was mildly successful even during those turbulent times.
The most played games on the PS1 were Winning Eleven 4 and its mods. If you went into a locadora in 1999, you would see at least half of the TVs showing the green of the football pitch.

During the PS2 days, Winning Eleven/PES still reigned, but people also played GTA, Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and the tons of mods. We have an ubiquitous PES mod here, called "Bomba Patch". It was released every few months with the newest teams and rosters, and it even had sponsors! You can probably find an interview by the creator of the mod on youtube.

About retrogaming nowadays, there isn't much of a community, sadly. Most forums are dead and people don't really care about making others. Some communities survived for a while (ROMhacking, DBZ mods), but in time everyone scatters. In real life, the "retro market" is mostly scalpers trying to scam 40-year olds out of their nostalgia bucks.

One last thing were modchips. They were so ubiquitous here that you could walk out of the store with the console already modchipped. Even the big retail stores would tell you where to modchip the console, usually in an electronics shop nearby.

>> No.10320819

>>10320801
>we also had "3-in-1"s in the PS1.
I played both a Street Fighter and a 007 3-in-1. The SF one (that had A3, EXPlusA and EX2Plus) was funny because both EX games had to scramble some tracks or use music of A3, and EX crashed when you tried to watch the ending.

>> No.10320825

>>10320813
I recall back in 1991 when my father bought us a Master System at "Casa & Vídeo". He was a third sergeant in the Navy (sorta like low-middle class nowadays), and just to give you some perspective, it took 3 months of his pay to buy the console, without any cartridges. And it took us (4 brothers) a lot of convincing him - what sealed the deal was the console came with Alex Kidd installed in memory, or he wouldn't have bought it.

(He was a pretty good World Grand Prix player).

>> No.10320830

>>10319838
Action Games was actually brazilian but it's has a argie version. The argentine vidya magazines were Top Kids (which came with MK action figures) and some others like Xtreme PC, Next Level, etc

>> No.10320832
File: 23 KB, 300x438, ps2-9989.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The chilean PES mods were hilarious because one of the players (Matias Fernandez) had 99 stats on everything because he was incredibly popular at the time, and the announcer was a mix of random clips from Claudio Palma (popular chilean football commentator), the original japanese ones and probably the dude behind the mod calling names on a shit tier mic.

>> No.10320838 [DELETED] 

>>10319372
>I might be risking a ban

I can't imagine why...?

>> No.10320840 [DELETED] 

>>10320838
Non-console war or emu vs hardware thread. An anomaly for Neo /vr/.

>> No.10320902

>>10319372
Argie here
we were always a generation behind when it came to consoles
in the early 2000 games for the Sega megadrive were still up front on electronic and gaming stores, while games for the Ps1 were mostly on the background for display and just had a few games on sale, that slowly changed around 2003-2004 when Ps1 games started to get up-front on the store, a few Ps2 games on display in the background ans then 2007-2008 Ps2 games started getting all the attention
something positive we had was the amount of obscure japanese games to buy on every store, since it was cheaper to import games from China every store got tons of Japanese games for sale that were never released in the west
I remember as a kid a had a Saint Seiya game for the family (that's how we called the Family Computer aka Famicom) a captain Tsubasa game, an absolute hidden gem called "paaman enban wo torikaese" that for some reason was so popular here that songs from that game were used in some commercials advertising the console
and also anime games like DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Doraemon etc
it was pretty neat every house had at least a family, a Sega megadrive or a Ps1

>> No.10320927

>>10320902
Fellow argie here. How old are you? PS1 pirated discs were all over the place by 1996. I got my PS1 that year, which came with a modchip installed already.
Despite them being pirated games, they weren't that cheap, I remember around $20 dollarpesos and even as up as $30. It was around 1999 that I started seeing cheaper bootlegs, like $5 a piece.
But it's true that family game and (pirate) Genesis games were everywhere still in the early 00s too.
Anyway by 2001, most people abandoned consoles and only played that shitty Game counter-strike and nothing else or winning eleven on ps1/PS2 at most.

>> No.10320952

>>10319372
Why are you worried about being banned? This is probably one of the higher quality threads on the board right now.

>> No.10320967

>>10320825
>third sergeant in the Navy (sorta like low-middle class nowadays)
That's what I was going to tell you. Having acquiantances and family members from the army, I do know you can range from low to upper-middle class depending on your rank. Third-sargeant wasn't middle class, and, by your account, he had at least four kids to feed. That's why a Master System took such a toll on your father's paycheck. Regardless, it was pretty sweet of him to give you all that gift. It meant a lot back then. Good memories to cherish.

>> No.10320972

PS1 was more Popular in the Third World since you could easily Pirate the CDs Nintendo Consoles were the Rich Kids Consoles

>> No.10320979 [DELETED] 

>>10320840
Eww!!! Mods should delete this thread so I can get back to call "zoom-zoom" to other 19-year olds like me.

>> No.10321001

>>10320972
I had Nintendo consoles but I wasn't a richfag at all, I was more interested in videogames compared to other kids that mostly played Winning Eleven or GTA.

>> No.10321006

>>10320830
That's true, I'm just remembering the first magazines to ever appear in the region in the early 90's. Top Kids came a little later in 94. Man, what a shit magazine that was, the only reason to buy those was for the MK toys it came with. I think I still have the VHS with game "tips and secrets".

>> No.10321020

>>10319372
Mootxican here. Club Nintendo was my bible back in the day. I read every issue my older brother got from cover to cover, even for games that I wasn't particularly interested in. When we did rent or borrow games, I already knew a lot of the tricks thanks to CN. I remember renting The Lion King for SNES, getting filtered by the second level because of course, then trying out the level select code from the magazine so I could actually experience more of the game.

As for consoles that were popular here, at least where I lived it was pretty much tendie country up until around 1997 or so. The NES and especially SNES were very popular. We knew Sega existed and was a thing, but I only ever saw a Genesis at a distant relative's house once to my recollection. Of course, Club Nintendo had us nice and brainwashed, so we considered all competition to be cheap imitations of Nintendo Quality™. I'm sure by 1997, Sony began to take over, but I wouldn't know because we moved to the states at that time.

>> No.10321064

>>10321001
This. It should also be noted that piracy existed for Nintendo consoles. It wasn't as prevalent and cheap as the PS1's, but it could help you gaming on a budget. Most of my Super Nintendo games were bootlegs, and I had a couple ones like that for the N64.

>> No.10321124

>>10321064
The N64 needed a special adapter cart right? They were very rare though. Only ever saw 1 pirate N64 cart. The Super Famicom/PAL carcass Super Nintendo bootlegs were Indeed more common and the early 90s ones that game with SFC box and manual were high quality piracy

>> No.10321154
File: 999 KB, 960x540, soprole.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10321064
For the N64 I don't remember seeing bootleg carts, the cheapest way to play N64 games (at least for me in Chile) was to either rent them for a week at my local videostore or go to a market called Persa Bio-Bio and buy second hand games or trade a game for another one.

>> No.10321170
File: 41 KB, 478x640, UGTMQa4l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10321154
>figuritas
Based.
How come Killer Instinct got an album un Argentina but not in Chile? Especially when Salo was a chilean company

>> No.10321219
File: 46 KB, 400x300, 1697228523446.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10321124
>>10321154
I'm not sure if any adapter is required, and I'm inclined to believe it isn't. I did have a bootleg copy of WCW vs NWO which didn't require it. However, adapters similar to picrel were required to play japanese games. Maybe that's why some bootlegs required it, but more because of region differences than actual anti-piracy. I think whatever is needed for the game to run was included in the bootleg cartridge itself.

About rarity, I theorize that the sheer popularity of the PS1 made it a much more lucrative market for bootlegging. They could also profit by selling modchips. Nintendo 64 ended up playing second fiddle, unlike its successful predecessor, but you could still find some bootleg copies. Buying second-handed games, however, was an easier alternative, as already mentioned.

>> No.10321408
File: 3.37 MB, 4080x3072, IMG_20231013_184847494.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

kek based

>> No.10321476
File: 142 KB, 640x640, 1693044506475656.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10321408
Son todos travestis esos.
The deal was the same everywhere, here in Uruguay Famiclones where the shit until PlayStation became the norm due to it being easy to pirate and being relatively cheap, I had a Nikita Famiclone that looked like a PC and came with a keyboard and mouse, used to play the living shit out of the Kunio Kun games until Christmas 2001 when Mom got me a PSOne with a bunch of burned games (ISS Pro Evolution, Crash 2, Crash 3, CTR, Soul Edge and Tekken 3) that came in little plastic bags with a low quality print on the front, games where cheap and easy to get since every flea market (feria) would have like five "stores" competing with each other so they would have promotions like 3 games for 90$uy (3.5$us back then), so you saved your snack money for the entire week and when weekend came out you spend it on games.
Still got my Nikita and PSOne and both work pretty well considering being more than 20 year old consoles.

>> No.10321536

In Peru growing up in the late 90s / early 00s, Internet cafes were king. I remember playing a lot of FPS and racing PC games thru lan at these places. Half Life 1 was the most popular game that I would always play, I think Peruvians are still keeping the multiplayer to that game alive single-handedly

>> No.10321552

>>10320825
You didn't need to be rich, but it was not like today that people have a PS5, XBOX and Switch. You would get a console in a special occasion, like Christmas, and it would be a gift for the whole family. Then you would stick with that console for years.
My first console was a SNES imported from Paraguay. It came with Street Fighter. For years I heard my neighbors telling me that the characters names were wrong on my copy. Later in life I discovered that I had a Japanese version of the game.

>> No.10321553

>>10320927
My brother was at the exact age to get hit by pokemania.
Him and every one of his friends played G1 and G2.
Not a single one owned a gameboy, No$GB FTW

>> No.10321561

>>10321536
I've heard you guys also play a lot of Starcraft still, no?

>> No.10321562

>>10320818
Bomba Patch is still being released to this day.

>> No.10321612

>>10321552
>Later in life I discovered that I had a Japanese version of the game.
lol! I had a similar issue arguing with a friend who told me I was lying about fighting the last boss in Contra III. I told him I beat him on normal mode, and he replied it was impossible, because that fight only happened on hard mode. In the end, I had played the japanese version, while he had played the overseas one, and we both were right in our respective playthroughs.

>> No.10321807

I have some Brazilian's Nintendo World stashed somewhere I think. Used to read those and think of the games during N64 and Gamecube era.

The former I prefered to rent, played many good games there. First time I played OoT, a friend brought one from US and we played on my N64 back in the day few weeks after launch.

Couldn't afford GC during launch and only bought one in 2005~2006, so during those years I read the game magazines and dreamed on how the games played. Once I was able to play them the hype was over as child years were past me.

There were some lan house scene going on during this period too. MMOs were big, multiplayer games on PC.

>> No.10321829

Since all we had was a pirated ps1, I played Spyro 3 a shit load of times because the game would reset and delete ALL your progress right before defeating the last boss, plus the game was all fucked up all the way through. I didn't realize this wasn't intended because I couldn't read English so I just ignored the fairy that told me my game was a pirate copy.

>> No.10321904

>>10321536
Internet cafes were also popular in Chile, kids would go play CS 1.6, Gunbound and Ragnarok Online for 2 hours a day.
I used to download a fuck ton of J2ME games for.my phone, which speaking of, were also popular with the guys at my school, I still remember playing Gravity Defied with other guys and passing the phone whenever one guy failed to beat a track.

>> No.10321940

im a cracker but i go to medellin to fuck whores and eat cheap steak and dance salsa, did the guatape hike this year too was a fun distraction

>> No.10322506

>>10321829
I bought this same exact copy back in 2001. It had the Paradox cracktro, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJxERIw9bAk

I already had a good understanding of English back then, so I was kind of spooked when the fairy said I was playing a pirated copy. I realized something was wrong right after, because the firefly (Sparx?) never had full health, even if it ate a ton of butterflies. It always reverted back to green (it was gold when at full health). Then I played a few more hours, and when the exits started going to wrong stages, I knew there was something very wrong with the game.

You can actually finish the game, but not open the final door. When you reach a certain stage, the game will throw you into that post-game stage where you have to ram Moneybags to grab your gems back. However, since you never completed all the stages, you don't have enough gems to open that final door.

>> No.10322938

>>10319372
Huebro here.
>consoles
What other people said, i myself had a SNES which i got from my mother who got it from her grandmother and i have a few cartridges like Zelda ALTTP and that Looney-Tunes Basket game (also had a playstation 2 with a shit ton of pirate CDs).
>magazines
I didn't had any but we had a lot of gaming stuff here, there's a br channel i watch who makes lives reading those things from time to time.
>the rest
Didn't talked about games at school, but tv shows have been really popular at the past like Captain N, Mario old cartoon based on the Super Mario Bros series (Toad using popular catchphrases everytime was fun everyone wants to go to heaven but no ones wants to die) and both Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic SATAM and Sonic X.

Also nowadays i just use emulation, not really because i don't have the money but because here people have the mentality of "hey, they don't make this game anymore so i going to charge 300% the price for it" so fuck them (also abusive tax from this shit government).
... But recently a friend of mine is buying "clone" products from places like Old School, and they come with manual, arts and everything else so i kinda entertaining the idea to buy those too.

>>10321562
>Bomba Patch
100% atualizado / updated.

>> No.10322958

>>10322938
Btw, online PC gaming mainly because of Lan Houses are a really iconic era on Brazil.
League of Legends and Dota 1, Counter Strike 1.6, Ragnarok Online, GrandChase, World of Warcraft and Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne (the second one mainly because we had a platform to play online here called Garena), Point Blank and Cross Fire, Diablo II, online gaming always was a thing and i miss those times.

>> No.10322968

>I hope I don't get banned for discussing retro games here on the retro games board
wut
Are the jannies this out of control?

>> No.10322974

>>10322968
These threads sometimes attract the kind of shitposters capable of derail it into oblivion, but this one has been civil. You can expect that kind of shitstorm on /v/

>> No.10322982

>>10322974
How would that get the original, on-topic poster banned?

>> No.10323026
File: 115 KB, 640x830, precios-productos-nintendo-en-falabella-años-atrás-v0-ml9tevr4szha1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Have some chilean /vr/ goodness:
https://youtu.be/IU-Laz0ORb8?si=4LzXb8xWM_4QPbsK
https://youtu.be/q-dEWtGjPQg?si=qK7P9BxQFWoL_Fiz
https://youtu.be/-21gN__mvOw?si=R03zjCXNkEuuLvdR
https://youtu.be/YoIXgW7ow6o?si=kSwHGkmzX1gjD5Gx
https://youtu.be/n383a38Nu54?si=6NiY5KqTK5cOHNDB
https://youtu.be/OezpDiwoJnM?si=_mop1tWprb18aMmP
https://youtu.be/LHiWXexMGlg?si=Tdh0pHREyPqbc4Zm
https://youtu.be/_VkEF52ac7s?si=7azrvx7skSktomdl
https://youtu.be/3lYDhtvSFGM?si=sBC3m-exjtWCxmVq
>>10322982
Sometimes mods will ban everyone in a thread even if they weren't participating with the off-topic spam.

>> No.10323030

>>10322968
don't you know? the only threads you're allowed to make on here are "I LIKE THIS THING YOU DISLIKE" and "THE THINGS YOU LIKE SUCK"

>> No.10323061

>>10323026
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jzph5qNTj4
This thing even managed to reach here. Also the dead and ultra forgotten Metro Kids aired a Sega show and I remember people trying to bear Batman TAS with the phone too. and that thing was already hard.

>> No.10323127

>>10322938
>Looney-Tunes Basket game
Heh, that was a staple in many gaming rental shops. It was cool and all, but NBA Jam played much better. I think there's something wrong with collision detection in the Looney Tunes game, but maybe I just need to play it again.

>> No.10323198
File: 506 KB, 1213x1600, digitalizar0001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Club Nintendo Mexican Magazine was the equivalent of Nintendo Power USA

Here we had Nintendo World, but unfortunately they come only at the end of 1999, when PS1 already the dominant console. Other remarkable magazine was Super Game Power. We had magazines for PS2 and Xbox too, but these was not so remarkable.

>> No.10323210

>>10320801
>it was pretty hard to find stuff like the Saturn or the Neo Geo

Yes for Saturn, but, actually Neo Geo CD games was really easy to find.

>> No.10323275
File: 71 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (6).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>ywn impregnate Natalia

>> No.10323285

Ngl I still think SA gamers are still some of the most based in the world. I know a lot of it is out of necessity but they still play old shit, pirate hard, mod games, play LAN and communally more, etc. seems like they’ve always had a good gaming culture and continue to maintain it

>> No.10323328
File: 2.78 MB, 4080x2653, IMG_20231013_184826122~2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love the page layout designs

>> No.10323427

>>10323328
Pretty soulful. I remember reading those walkthroughs and pretending I was playing the game. Little joys of youth...

>> No.10323442

>>10323285
I wholeheartedly want to agree with you, but that's not the truth. Perhaps you get that impression by seeing a considerable amount of us here, but we're mostly outnumbered by people with the current popular console + a soccer game + a game from a current hyped franchise. And that's it. Retrogamers are a bit sparse, and you need an extra effort to locate and bring them together. I tried around here and got unlucky. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future.

>> No.10323474

>>10323442
I've been in tons of retrogaming groups from my country in Facebook for a long ass time (it was the only place I knew where you could talk and sell shit), usually it's full of obvious resellers, 30-somethings that think they're hot shit because they're playing ocarina with a bottle of whisky on the side, guys that come to talk shit about the price because you're not selling it for 2 pennies and normalfags posting shit-tier "gamer" memes (dude what if mario was on shrooms lameo) or their gaming streams.
Out of all the ones I have been in, the N64 are probably the chillest ones with nes/snes being absolute spergs, specially if you sell shit.

>> No.10323606

Back in the mid to late 2000's, I vividly recall trying an Xbox arcade of sorts that seemed to have so many games in it and each peso that you inserted added like 5 minutes or so of gameplay before it booted you out of the game. To this day I still wonder how those machines operated from the inside.

Another childhood experience from around that time was when we visited one specific place in a city that seemed to have a Super Mario World arcade in it, but my memory on it was so crappy and I dunno if it was the actual official Super Mario World arcade or something else.

As to home consoles and portables, despite living in the middle of rural México, I had the privilege of getting to own a GBA(SP), N64, PSP, and an PSX all with mainly official discs and carts primarily due to cousins from the USA who brought them over to us from their visits back here. Though since we didn't really have much home games, I found other consoles to be far more illusive whenever we met with anyone who had other consoles like the SNES and PS2. And funnily enough, I never heard of the GameCube until we migrated to the USA, though I did know of the Wii from some TV shows that showed the console. And the one time that I got to see and try out the DS with SM64DS, I thought it was the coolest shit ever and ended up thinking it was a portable N64 of sorts. That, and I never knew of the original GB and GBC, but I was very mistified by the large GBC cart with a Batman game in it that one random kid let me try out once and I thought that them being large and sticking out of the console made them special in some way. Man... To live in blissful ignorance.

>> No.10323719

>>10323285
I'm not a retro gamer collector. Some of my SNES and N64 games of past were stolen and I never wanted to buy them again. I emulate what is possible, mod what I enjoy and discuss and talk what interests me.

I never looked for a group of friends to talk about old games. When I host gaming party, we play tabletop or Wii with Melee, Mario Party or Bomberman, those kind of things. They are not versed on the subject, they just want to have a good time.

>> No.10323724
File: 266 KB, 488x516, 1697315312514.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10323474
I get you, bro. Wtf ever happened to people wanting to *play*? If it interests anyone, here's a breakdown of the retrogaming scene, at least in Brazil:

>The Retrogamer
Likes old games and plays them. Extremely rare, facing danger of extinction.
>The Coomlector
Hoards hardware and plays with his camera, taking photos of his collection for social media. Thinks he's better than everybody else because of his belongings, egocentric. Playing is overrated. Rare, because it takes money to be one.
>The Poorlector
The Coomlector, without the money. Expect lots of dirty junk, or a tiny amount of decent items. Nothing good even to brag about. Uncommon, because some people actually knows it's a bad idea to buy cheap crap and trying to be something you can't. At least, he plays something, but is constantly complaining about prices and "rich people".
>The YouTuber
Has a YouTube channel, big or small. He may be nice or grumpy, but always has enemies within the platform, and they're constantly poking each other. He wants to be famous and his followers are zealots, huge ego problem. Sometimes, he plays something... Sometimes. Hey, that footage gotta be captured somehow. Uncommon, because it takes a bit of effort and we're generally lazy people.
>The fan
Lives in awe, at the shadow of the Coomlector and the YouTuber. He played something as a kid, or maybe he's a youngster wanting to be a grown up. It doesn't matter. Always ready for service on social media, they talk, talk and talk, consume, consume and consume. Barely leaves any time for playing. Common, they're the biggest group in the scene, and food that nurtures many problems within it.

And that's all, I guess. Reply if you know something else.

>> No.10324593

>>10323442
yep
even in facebook groups about retro gaming the kind of people you would often find are poorfags who emulate on android so they're kinda forced to only play retro games or people who bought an used Ps2 and are asking about mods
guys who are really passionate about the hobbie are a dime of a dozen

>> No.10324809

>>10324593
I'd rather hang around those android guys than the people I used to see. At least, I could talk about games with them.

>> No.10324938

>>10323442
Yeah, the place with the most SA retrogamers i have seen is at RetroAchievements and even then it's hard to really talk about old games with someone because people there are much sensitive to anything they don't like.
Probably Japan is the best country for retrogaming, at least imo since they play for a really long time old games to do insane world records in speedrun.

>> No.10325004

Just want to add that "south america" as a whole definitely didn't have the exactly same experience. For example in Chile SNES was king, in Argentina it was the Genesis.

I still has this theory that in NTSC countries Nintendo won and in PAL (and PAL derivatives) countries Sega won.

>> No.10325009

"retro" gaming is modern gaming to south americas. these nerds are gonna have their minds blown when they discover pikablu in pokemon gold... 3 years from now.

>> No.10325056

>>10325004
>Just want to add that "south america" as a whole definitely didn't have the exactly same experience. For example in Chile SNES was king, in Argentina it was the Genesis.
Ecuador here, I think you are correct.

from my perspective and what I could see growing up, nintendo was king from day 1.
Very few people owned a genesis and the dreamcast even less, sure the were places where you could rent a dreamcast by the hour (no more than $1 US) but that didn't last long when the Ps1 games began to be pirated en mass

I never saw a genesis renting place, but snes was everywhere, same for N64, smash bros was/is huge over here

on a personal note, I was always late in consoles, I had a NES when the SNES was already out so I could only play megaman 5 over and over again from home while I had to pay to play megaman X by the hour.

I kept playing all those silly nes games until I had a Ps1 much later and boy how was that a huge change for me.

one of the reasons I never had another console up to that point was because everything costed too much and we didn't have a lot of money

but when I had the Ps1? you will never know how much joy for me was to buy pirated games for $1, that's how I got into dino crisis, RE, toshiden, ace combat, musashi, etc

I remember fapping to CvS1 gallery pics of mai shiranui, morrigan and cammy, shit was *chef kiss*
Eos from battle arena toshiden 4, R-mika from SF alpha 3 and kasumi from DOA

after the Ps1 I had GC for a short time but the games were not so cheap so I never really got into it too much

since then I haven't had another console and I just emulate up to GC, I really don't care about globohomo AAA gaymes anymore.

I used to play league of legends but ever since they deleted the dominion map I started enjoying it less and less to the point of quitting altogether. I mostly play L4D1 if I want some human interaction and hearthstone for my card game needs, but even HS is starting to get boring......

>> No.10325085

>>10325056
What do you mean rent for one hour?

I heard in Ecuador the boys on the street would rip your pants off if it was tattered and covered in holes. Is this true?

>> No.10325109

>>10325085
>What do you mean rent for one hour?
a place with multiple TV+console where you pay to play games for some time depending how much you pay, during that time it was 0.50c for 30min or $1 for an hour. Like an all you can eat "arcade"

>I heard in Ecuador the boys on the street would rip your pants off if it was tattered and covered in holes. Is this true?
never heard of that, but street kids are the worst over here, they are 1 second away from stealing your shit, so there's that....

>> No.10325402

Venezuelan here and my experience was pretty much like most of what the other anons say.
PS1 was huge and almost every middle-high class kid/teenager had one. There were some N64 but not as much. I remember some Game Boys but I never got to play with them much so I barely remember it. But nothing came close to the PS1, there were stores selling PS1 games everywhere. I was able to buy a couple pirated games every week saving a bit of the money I got for lunch and it was pretty common to exchange games at school
Arcades were pretty popular for some time. I used to go a lot with my older sister and it was always full of kids playing. Then internet cafes became huge. In my city there was a huge cafe that probably had close to 200 computers and for some time it felt like every kid and teenager was into CS, AoE, Quake or any other game of that time. There were tournaments all the time. MMOs were also pretty big, Tibia was huge for some years.
>How's the retro-gaming scene nowadays?
Retro games are still fairly popular even between younger people since gaming has become way too expensive for a lot of people so a lot of times they have to go for old consoles (mostly PS2, but others too) or emulation .
There are some millenials still into it. I recently had a reunion with my friends from school, a bunch of guys on their early 30s and we decided to play Winning Eleven, WWF games, Gran Turismo and other games instead of modern games even if we had consoles and PCs to play them.
>Do you buy retrogames or do you prefer emulation?
Emulation is the king here, but you can find some gems on Marketplace, since a lot of people start selling their old stuff to get money to leave the country. I recently got a fully functional PS1 with some original games real cheap since the guy was leaving the country.

>> No.10325404

>>10325402
Magazines were also fairly popular. I still have a bunch of them since every supermarket had them and they were fairly cheap. I would take a pic but they are at my parents house and I don't live there anymore

It was probably the same in other countries, but rumours and legends about games were also a pretty big thing. Kids bragging about how they unlocked some character that didn't exist, about sex scenes that you were able to see if you did certain things in game, fake cheats and stuff like that. It was mostly lies, but it was a lot of fun

>> No.10325509

>>10325056
>I remember fapping to CvS1 gallery pics of mai shiranui, morrigan and cammy, shit was *chef kiss*
lol
Simpler times. I miss jerking off to stuff like that.

>>10325404
>It was mostly lies, but it was a lot of fun
It sure was. Too bad that spirit didn't carried over. If I was to say "I unlocked a new chatacter" of a modern game, people would reply: "And how much did it cost?".

>> No.10325560

>>10323328
holy SOUL

>> No.10325567

>>10325404
Every magazine here in Brazil fell for the "unlock Gotenks and Pilaf" in Dragon Ball GT Final Bout fake cheat.

>> No.10325569
File: 84 KB, 900x900, tt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Trucoteca... home.

>> No.10325595

>>10325567
Would it kill the fuckers to actually verify the information? It was their job, ffs.

>> No.10325624

>>10319372
This is only tangentially related, And I'm not going to shill my shit here, but something interesting happened recently when I made a Youtube channel.

>Be me: A fat, white, rural, English speaking American
>A few weeks ago started a youtube channel that's really poor quality
>Literally all I do is play old obscure games on emulators and have a webcam that records me while I talk for hours on end
I was thinking to myself, "Nobody is going to watch this crap. I'm wasting my time"
>My videos actually get a couple hundred views a piece
>Go to my analytics page, have really high watch times
>Who the fuck is watching these?
>Scroll through all of my analytics pages
>Most of my views are coming from central and south america
>My main viewers are men in their mid to late 20s/early 30s
>A large portion of them are spanish speakers using the auto translate feature
>Many of them are from Brazil, Mexico, and Nicaragua

I have no idea what to make of this. I'm already almost at monetization level with youtube, so I have to figure out what the secret is behind what little success I've had so far.

>> No.10325697
File: 25 KB, 270x243, guiamania.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10325509
>Too bad that spirit didn't carried over
The internet wasn't so huge, so it was easy to check those things. But yeah, is one of those things that is gone forever and it's a shame.
>>10325569
That and Guiamania

>> No.10325868

>>10325569
For me? It was LaGuia2000

>> No.10325915
File: 265 KB, 1600x900, ricky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10324593
>are a dime of a dozen

>> No.10326163

>>10325624
If that's the demographic you're getting, it may not be a bad idea to start adding CC subtitles in those languages. No idea if youtube add them automatically or if something you need to tinker with.

>> No.10326170
File: 2.35 MB, 1093x1500, 1697399261152.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10326209

>>10325624
sigue con el buen trabajo.
>no relacionado
Que se joda el maricón falso de Slobulus

>> No.10326428

>>10326163
Youtube has an autotranslate feature, but adding my own subs would be better. THe problem is I would need to know spanish AT ALL.

>> No.10326473
File: 75 KB, 954x502, 01a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10319372
I had a PolyStation...

>> No.10326573

>>10319570
>>10319508
>tfw one of the 30 people in Argentina who own an OG Xbox
Feels good man. Well, except for how hard it is to find the accessories.

>>10326473
I remember I had one like that called ALIEN. Aside from the average 150-in-1 carts, I remember I was once playing some weird megaman-like game that my parents had brought from some store, and the only thing I remembered about it was that one of the bosses was some sort of heart. Only a few weeks ago did I ever figure out it was Mitsume Ga Toori. Looking back, have no idea how the fuck I stumbled upon an obscure japan-only Famicom game like that back in the day, and if the cartridge was even a bootleg.

>> No.10328019

which spaniards magazines reach hispano América in the 90s or early 2000s? thanks in advance.

>> No.10328368

>>10319491
Were the games NTSC English versions or imported translations from Spain?

>> No.10328390

>>10320801
>I'm sure you had those in the US and other first-world countries, but here there were locadoras everywhere.
In the United States the closest we had were a few restaurants having consoles around to keep the kids occupied while the food was being cooked.

>> No.10328429

>>10328368
NTSC. Until the PS2 era when multilanguage releases started to become more common, it was all in English. There were some exceptions obviously, with Pokemon R&B being a highlight. This is speaking about official stuff, PAL>NTSC PS1 patched games were common in pirate markets.

>> No.10328441

>>10328368
I saw both usually, they had those crack intros where you pressed X for NTSC, I played Ape Escape with the britbong audio and it was funny.

>> No.10329326

>>10328019
Here in Chile I got a Hobby Consolas one, 2 Play Mania and a few PC related ones. Also got some Xtreme PC from Argentina. I like those PS ones since there are some weird stuff I haven't played yet.

>> No.10330338
File: 130 KB, 1200x948, 380423674.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10328019
Argie here, Hobby Consolas was sold at magazine kiosks regularly. I also remember getting Super Juegos.
I still have my Pura Dinamita VHS, pure soul
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6s1KLH-yFc

>> No.10330370

https://archive.org/search?query=creator%3A%22Digerati%22

>> No.10330429
File: 2.26 MB, 837x1500, Untitled-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10328019
I used to buy a lot of magazines in the 90's (Argentina), thankfully I never threw them away. Looking at what I have, these seem to be the the oldest that I have from Spain (1992). In the mid 90's we started to see a whole lot more. I have around 300 magazines, I need to dig deeper to see if I can find anything older from Spain.

>> No.10330431

>>10330429
>OK PC
all these demos on the CDs, games that probably are lost to time by now

>> No.10330441

>>10330431
I don't think any of those CDs survived unfortunately. You might get some luck looking in archive . org

>> No.10330443

>>10323328
I'm gonna coom

>> No.10331062

>>10319372
Lived in Uruguay and Argentina
>how was growing up with retro-gaming related stuff?
in Argentina (Metro): lots of famiclone and genesis bootlegs, only the richest kids from school had nintendo consoles. After 1997 PSX flooded the market. Almost no PC gaming. Excellent journalism thanks to local Next Level magazine. There were events, but most were downtown-only. I remember to see the SNES black truck at the Rural convention center. Nivel X cable TV show organized some tournaments in a mall near my house tho. After PS2, tendies gathered around in a forum to share/play NGC/DS and kickstarted early collecting of nintendo's older consoles. Argies prefered to play the latest.
in Uruguay (Capital): everyone played NES until 1995, and some then upgraded to SNES. There was a minority, girls or budget families, playing SMS or genesis. Mid 90s many Compaq PCs in living rooms. PSX started pouring after 2001, and there were a healthy number of Dreamcasts around. Dinos prefered (naturally) older, unsupported and/or 2D consoles. That's why retro hit so early here

>> No.10331363

>>10330338
>>10329326
>>10330429
Thanks anons.

>> No.10331496

>>10326428
Just learn some Spanish cuss words and throw them out once in a while.

>> No.10332280

Chile and Brazil still play Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition to this day, same for the first Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat 2.
https://youtu.be/CnoBS3Xqlno?si=1F0CRSUltAwojUAR
RIP Lad Cobra

>> No.10332282

>>10332280
>part2
FUCK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOl8Y-8fzfw

>> No.10332860
File: 41 KB, 354x480, small.gallery_10590_156_97855.jpg.52837f3246de648568caf2ed0dfe9dd4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I still consult this one even to this day

>> No.10333925

>>10325697
>Guiamania
God fucking damn it anon you unlocked so many memories locked away in my brain
a miss those comfy sites so much bros
when did eveything went so wrong?

>> No.10333957

Remember when Super Juegos started to release with a supplement with japanese teens in swimsuits? Not that they were any good, but man, they sure knew what they were doing.

>> No.10334090

>>10319372
Normalfag trash ever since the 80's to this day. I've yet to meet someone who has played something different than that. Yes, i prefer emulation.

>> No.10335242
File: 256 KB, 935x1287, Mangas & videogames - Hobby consolas_00.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10333957
yes it was japanmania, there are some scans on the web try archive dot org.

>> No.10337347
File: 977 KB, 1147x1632, EhVZ17KX0AY2_Ygrge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bumping comfy thread

>> No.10338557

>>10321020
They went to ahit after 96, too much favoritism, anything pre 97 was kino.

>> No.10338559

>>10321020
>played the faulty SNES port that literally is programmed like ass on level 2.

>> No.10338628

>>10338557
It's a Nintendo magazine, of course they were going to show favoritism. That said, it did get ridiculous during that era because the N64 was getting its ass kicked up and down in sales and it wasn't getting anywhere near the amount or variety of games the NES and SNES got, so they had to go to great lengths to paint Nintendo in a favorable light and downplay the flaws. In any case, the last issue I got from them was the one with F-Zero X on the cover, which was in 1998 IIRC, but indeed the magazine seemed less fun by 1997 or so.

>> No.10338809

>>10323026
>SUPER PAD

oh god, my cousins had one of these for its SNES, it was horrible.

>> No.10338890
File: 493 KB, 1058x1497, 1688398287583408.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10319372
https://archive.org/details/club-nintendo-magazine?sort=title
Club Nintendo was the best (and cheapest) magazine you could have had during the '90s in Hispanic America (Did Brazil have their own Club Nintendo? TecToy made it so they mostly cared about Sega). If you were lucky, you had a kiosk that imported video games magazines from Spain (Super Juegos, Hobby Consolas, Loading, etc.) I pretty much stopped reading Club Nintendo when they started to focus on the Game Cube, it was already losing steam during their late N64 era, where the only 2D games were Game Boy Color games.
P.S.: Club Nintendo was originally a Mexican magazine for all Hispanic America, they used to come up with regional variations, where the articles from the Mexican version would show up in different issues for other countries like in Argentina, Chile, and Venezuela. Don't know why they just didn't do the Mexican issues for the start, but at some point, they realized that having regional issues was just dumb, so they kept every thing full of Mexican slang after the '90s, when the old guard quit giving a shit (Axy, Spot, Ryu, etc.) and you started seeing faggots like Conejo and Cuervo. I remember when they admitted that a lot of their Q&A letters were just the staff making letters up to appease the NOA over lords who wanted them to address certain things in a given issue. I remember that at one point some kid bitched to them that their writing got really fucking Mexican, without him having realized that their writing was always Mexican, they just toned it down for the regional issues. If I ever run into that letter in the archive scans, I will post it, so you can have all have a giggle.

>> No.10338956
File: 1.13 MB, 1500x2121, CN_2000_02_06.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10338890
>I remember that at one point some kid bitched to them that their writing got really fucking Mexican, without him having realized that their writing was always Mexican, they just toned it down for the regional issues. If I ever run into that letter in the archive scans, I will post it, so you can have all have a giggle.
I have that one, it was the second one from 2000. Also there's one I find funny because some Chad Muska fanboy was mad that they put the wrong picture of him for the THPS article.

>> No.10338958
File: 1.66 MB, 1418x2029, champion.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10325004
>I still has this theory that in NTSC countries Nintendo won
The Mega Drive sold out against SNES in almost every Western European countries, though places like Germany and France had a strong Nintendo presence, because Nintendo of Europe had French and German (rarely any in Spanish or Italian) versions of some of their games. I don't know about the SNES, but NES sold a lot in Northern Europe, that is why some SunSoft PAL games were exclusive to the SCN market (and Finland). And if you lived in East Europe, I assure you that you had Famiclones (Dendy, Pegasus, et al.) out of the ass, due to them being affordable after the USSR fell, but if you got money, it was not unusual to run into kids who had Mega Drive, because unlike the SNES, it was piss easy to clone a Mega Drive and release pirated games for it. It is why they released several Mega Drive home brews and pirated games up to 2023, hardly more pirated games or home brews for SNES. SNES might have won in the early to mid '90s console war in the US market, but the Mega Drive had the last laugh, being easier to program and code games for. A sign of how N64 was also a pain in the ass to program and code official games. Nintendo in their infinite wisdom did this again with the GC by making it use mini discs to curb piracy, that made it easy to code and develop games for, but shrank their user base in Latin America where piracy gave the PS2 an edge over the GC and Xbox. I do admire how much TecToy made Sega THE video game brand for the '90s. My only regret is that they translated Phantasy Star I-III in Portuguese, but because III hit Brazil in 1998, they gave up in translating IV. Fuck.
P.S.: For some reason Shadowrun (SNES) had a Swedish translation, but no French one, even though it was real rare for an RPG translated in French not to have a German version, and vice versa. Deja Vu (NES) was only released in the Swedish version for PAL.

>> No.10339004
File: 250 KB, 900x660, lethim.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10338956
Thank you for the scans. Another infamous letter I remember reading was a kid telling them he was disappointed with all the good developers leaving Nintendo, and he asked why he should bother with the N64 over the PS1. Then a poor staffer had to bullshit the way out of making Nintendo look bad. I could look for that scan, if you can't find it up, it was around the 2001 era, this should be piss easy for me to narrow down.

>> No.10339026

>>10338890
Yeah I noticed the overuse of mexican slang during the start of the 00s, but what got worse were those damn ads for cellphones and other mexican things (specially during the Wii/DS era), you know that SEND FAG TO 45702 AND GET A RINGTONE OF ME RIPPING ASS and other shit that only mattered in Mexico.
I also remember the magazine hating Chicken Little on the Gamecube like no one lol, it was like "the worst game in the universe" to them and whenever they reviewed a bad game they went lile "well at least its not chicken little gamecube", whats funny is that they weren't even that harsh when they reviewed the game at first lol.
btw anyone has scans of their Dr.Wario section? that shit was hilarious.

>> No.10339071

>>10339026
They allegedly destroyed Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue cartridges after reviewing it. It was a shitty game, so no one loses (except some guy who got hurt while doing it). I can remember that stuff since I bought them between 2000-2005 and read the shit out of it. Then the articles got boring and stopped caring (and I couldn't play shit since I hadn't the damn consoles and my PC of that time was low tier)

>> No.10339234

>>10338890
>Axy and Spot
Who were those fucks in the end? I think I read somewhere that they were just Gus Rodriguez and Pepe Sierra, but I don't know if that's true. They also used to say they were ugly as fuck IIRC, which is why they never showed their faces, but I'm sure that was just them taking the piss.
>they admitted that a lot of their Q&A letters were just the staff making letters up
Sheeeit, this I didn't know. It kinda makes sense, though. Some of the questions DID seem a bit... specific.

Another memory I have of them is that at one point on their website circa 1997 or 1998, they had a graph showcasing Nintendo's market share. IIRC it was a pie graph, but it was misleading as fuck. It said something like 30% Nintendo, and 70% "Others". Obviously this was to obscure the total domination that Sony had going on at the time. Sadly I can't find that graph anymore.

>> No.10339259

>>10319372
I still have that magazine, those were better days

>> No.10339270

>>10338890
The magazine died by the end of the GC era, just like Nintendo

>> No.10340140
File: 1.38 MB, 2929x4096, 1687796190902519.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10340148

the whole "3rd world countries getting consoles a gen later" thing is a meme

I got my PS2 in 2002 and my PS3 in 2007. at most 3rd world countries were like 3-4 years behind not an entire gen unless they were poorfags but every country has those.

>> No.10340154

>>10340148
I'd argue that old console stick around longer though.
America, especially, is very quick to jump to the newest thing to consume.

>> No.10340164

>>10338890
There was also VideoTips which only lasted a couple of years, it was made in mexico and it covered Genesis stuff too, but it failed (the most memorable thing was that it had Luis Alfonso Mendoza doing the voice of an ad), and GamePro en Espanol, which in its first volumes didnt even translated the directional terms in spanish! they both died quick because of both Club Nintendo's legit popularity but also due to a stronghold Nintendo had in latin american that forbit VideoCrentro and places like Gigante and Ley to sold non-nintendo products, under threat that they will stop giving them nintendo merch and stuff, because of this, Genesis was much rare in latin america and even on the second hand market it was not very common to stumble across it very often, most kids who had Genesis and games got them from the US (usually second hand), and the only places that rented Gennesis titles were pa and ma places, some of even rented consoles for 100 pesos at the time.

>> No.10340170
File: 384 KB, 1140x1605, Club Nintendo 43 - Año 05 Nº 03 (Argentina)_0012.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10338890
>The english build of Super Butoden 2 is now lost
>even the old CN and NintendoMania members cant remember what happened to it.

>> No.10340173

I think SA gaming is almost the same as Eastern Europe gaming...perhaps slightly worse and less based.

>> No.10340180

>>10319372
>SA gaming
lol

the only true gamer countries are the US, UK and Japan. every other country just plays COD FIFA GTA and nothing else.

>> No.10340192
File: 420 KB, 1100x1496, 1687215320403983.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10340173
Latin Americans could afford 4th gen and 5th gen consoles as they were being made. Most Eastern Europe families could have only tried Microcomputers, Famiclones, and very rarely Mega Drives, until the PS1 CD piracy caught on in the early '00s. Just look for how Eastern European magazines like in Video Ace Dendy (Later Great Dragon) were still doing NES shit and Mega Drive shit in mid to late '90s, versus Latin American magazines that were covering N64 and late SNES games as they were being released.

>> No.10340198
File: 73 KB, 571x792, Club Nintendo Año 03 Nº 05 (México) [Ver. 2]_0075.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this one ad brings a smile to my face like you folks have no idea.

>> No.10340203

I thought all 2nd/3rd world nations only played on PC. would've been more based.

>> No.10340475

>>10340203
Cyber cafes were insanely popular late 90s and early 00s in some Latin American countries, but buying PCs to play games was never the standard, mainly because it's more expensive than buying a console.

>> No.10340484

Why are there so many mexicans here i dont feel safe

>> No.10340541

>>10320816
I know this is a pasta, but the SMS sold 8 million units in brazil...most of which being due to re-releases of variants and when sega was out of the console business, but that's still a huge number for a single country.

>> No.10340553

>>10340180
>UK
oi me speccy

>> No.10340806

>>10338958
I have the feeling you don't know TecToy...

>> No.10340860

>>10319372
been playing this shit lately while im on chile, according to devs they'll have some kind of crypto integration so maybe could sell my village in the future.

>> No.10340863
File: 307 KB, 900x396, 546521123.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10340860
olmao forgot to drop the shill.

>> No.10340868

>>10340806
Tell us more about TecToy, anon. I love threads (and videos like Kinaman's) that show you how video game were sold in other regions.

>> No.10340876

SAbros, what was retro gaming like? Did you pirate everything? Did anyone buy games new? I was in SA about a year ago. Everyone was telling me no one would buy new games, just pirate.

>> No.10340960

>>10325009
Have you been reading the thread? The retro gamer is a dying breed there.

>> No.10340975
File: 1.05 MB, 2924x4096, Lanigav.(Anime).full.2710342.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10340876
>did you pirate everything
Yeah.
>did anyone buy new games
i knew people with original ps1 and ps2 games but they would still pirate shit
>Everyone was telling me no one would buy new games, just pirate.
Retro Games (well, everything honestly) has gotten really expensive to the point getting into retro-gaming can cost as much or even more as a new console (which wasnt the case back then as that was one of the reasons to buy older consoles).
Resellers, chink bootlegs and hoarders have inflated the prices of so many games and consoles that anyone wanting to sell or buy retroshit has to be careful of not getting scammed by these leeches, thank god flashcarts and soft-modding for older consoles exists.

>> No.10340986

>>10340198
Wasn't there one for that same product that had racist caricatures of Chinese and Italians getting spooked by a ghost? I remember thinking that one was funny.

>> No.10341079
File: 3.21 MB, 4080x3072, IMG_20220610_084527225.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10340170
This is sad. I mean, it's not that big of a deal because it's still the same game but it's a neat piece of history lost.
Very nostalgic for that "Dragon Ball" logo. I think I only ever saw it on local VHS released of the episodes (of the og DB)

>> No.10341145

>>10340868
There's nothing really interesting, but I'll tell anyway. Late 80s, in Brazil, there was a law protecting the local market, so you couldn't freely sell electronics unless your company was legally here, directed by brazilians. If those conditions were not met, then it was a wild west and anyone could disrespect your intellectual property. Nintendo did do nothing, so any brazilian company could make famiclones; TecToy was smarter and made a deal with Sega. Now, the latter was legally in the country, and no one could sell Sega products besides TecToy.

It was a good start, since many famiclones were of varying quality and the Master System was simple enough that TecToy had no issues with it. Good marketing, official support, translations to portuguese and romhacks to appeal to local culture also helped a lot, as you might know already. However, you also know that the NES and SNES had good games, people knew about them and there was the potential for competition. In 1993, a company called Gradiente made a deal with Nintendo and the latter legally entered our market through a company initially called Playtronic (just a different name; later, it reverted back to Gradiente). By that point, TecToy started to face actual competition exposing flaws within the company. Their hardware became cheaper in price, but also in quality.

Saturn and Dreamcast was simply too complicated for them. They just translated the consoles' manuals and boxes and sold them here. The tech was beyond their capabilities and, whatever blunders you think Sega made with both consoles, it was worse here. Marketing was timid and it became clear that the success came not from TecToy, but from Sega itself; if the latter was doing poorly, then the former would do even worse.

>> No.10341149

>>10341145
(cont.)
Nowadays, fans still nag TecToy for anything Saturn or Dreamcast related, but they're too incapable for that and have no idea how to proceed, despite having a good relationship with Sega, which would probably greenlight the project if it was good enough. So, the company sticks to Master System and Mega Drive, a technology they still can handle... sort of. Their last re-releases of those consoles were lackluster at best, featuring poor build quality, subpar controllers, abrasive audio, no component or HDMI output (even though advertised for LCD screens lol) and, of course, inaccurate gameplay. Fans fixed many issues through personal or community patches and firmwares, in their free time. I know that a few of them even contacted TecToy for a job opportunity and helping the company to gain it foot again, but they were turned down. It's kinda weird that regular retrogamers, in their free time, do a much better job than a business that's actually endorsed by Sega to do it. The fact that they turn down help is a mix of dumb pride and unwillingness to improve. Basically, TecToy was at the right place, at the right time, it had a good start, but it quickly fizzled out.

Hope it wasn't too boring for you. Do we hate TecToy? No. But it's very hard to find someone who actually lived through that time (not just YouTube rose-tinted content) and likes or admires the company. It's just a footnote in our modest gaming history.

>> No.10341264
File: 203 KB, 870x609, 2CCA5423-F116-4CB3-9371-BC6424134651.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10341149
>But it's very hard to find someone who actually lived through that time (not just YouTube rose-tinted content) and likes or admires the company. It's just a footnote in our modest gaming history.
I moved out from Brazil to US when I was 12, so the rose tinted glasses are at play.

>> No.10341283

>>10340876
>Did you pirate everything?
from Ps1 to current gen yes, i used to buy original Sega cartridges and some Ps3 games while trading the ones i got tired of for other games, once pirating for the Ps3 got easier i modded it and never looked back
>Did anyone buy games new?
i had cousins who would buy new legit Ps1 games alongside pirated copies.
Sometimes you would go to a mall that sold a new Ps1 game that you couldn't get pirated because every local game store that sold pirated copies of games still couldn't get or just didn't know about said game, so most of us just said fuck it and saved money to buy it
that's the way i got my original copy of Rampage throught time and Dragon Ball Z Legends
about this last one before just saying fuck it and using my birthday money to buy it legit on a mall i already had 3 pirated copies of the game that i bought on different stores
the problem was that for some dumb reason every pirated copy i could get for the game has the cover and back cover of "DBZ legends" but the game inside was Ultimate battle 22!
i had 3 different copies from 3 different local stores and the 3 of them ended up being ultimate battle 22
sometimes shit like that happened

>> No.10341321

>>10341145
>>10341149
2000 zoomer Macaco here, i can understand Tectoy doing basically nothing for the Saturn as it was hard as nails to program for, but the Dreamcast is supposed to be easy in comparison, were there no competent programers in the country that they could hire to localize dreamcast games?

>> No.10341330

>>10341264
It's understandable. At least, I suppose you lived here during TecToy's best years, that's to account for. Also, your pic was a good product for its time: compact, quasi-portable and wireless (both power and image output). It's nice to see something tailored for girls; back in my time, it was common to not let them play (lol), so TecToy really tried to broad its audience. Too bad they're so lax today. Anyway, do you miss something here or moving out was a 100% improvement for you?

For anyone else wondering, that pic was a pretty decent Master System model called the "Super Compact". It worked with AA batteries and an antenna for wireless RF image transmission direct to your TV. However, you could connect a power supply, av cables and even a second controller. Worked just like a regular console.

>> No.10341350
File: 43 KB, 276x405, D453A21A-EEC3-465F-988C-62A0A9D1F5FB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10341330
>do you miss something here or moving out was a 100% improvement for you?
The cable channels. Latin America had greater anime variety on TV than the US did with Toonami, Adult Swim, Anime Unleashed, Sci-Fi Channel, etc. Other than that, maybe some of the food and easier to buy music in Portuguese, but the latter was solved when mp3’s had caught on. Piracy, torrents, and stream have made finding the dubs I grew up with easier than it was with my Kazaa, Limewire, and eMule high school days.

>> No.10341573

>>10341321
In any line of work, you'll soon learn that people do what they can to maintain the status quo, that's why it's hard for most brazilian companies to stay at high tide for more than a few years. TecToy got too comfortable with Master System and Mega Drive, they weren't ready for a shift of paradigm every 5 or 6 years. To this very day, there are brazilians who don't know they actually sold Saturn and Dreamcast, because of that attachment to earlier consoles.

About programming, if you're talking about official localizations, things are not as hard as it seems. You got handed the source code and just change text... provided western fonts are already coded and accounted for. However, that last part definetely wasn't TecToy's job, since they localized already westernized games. It was just changing text, which required only basic programming knowledge. What became more complicated was the size of the games (more text) and voice acting (requiring a portuguese dub). I guess TecToy didn't want to bother with the extra work and costs.

Finally, a fun-fact: programming for the Saturn wasn't hard per se, but getting the most of its two CPUs *simultaneously* is what puzzled devs. If you used only one CPU, things were pretty straightforward, but your game would look subpar compared to the PS1. The Jaguar faced a similar issue, in which devs only knew how to use the 68000 chip inside of it, leaving aside the "Tom" and "Jerry" chips, resulting in sub-utilization of the system.

>> No.10342279

>>10341079
careful with Australia mode man, but yeah, i know it was most likely the French version translated in english in NTSC format, but damn.

>> No.10342282

>>10342279
Based, don't worrry everything under control

>> No.10343931
File: 976 KB, 780x585, D1906F21-5F6E-46A4-B43C-EE82454C7AEC.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10343985

>>10341283
They were provided by the same dealer likely.

>> No.10344725

non LA bros so you can understand this thread more:
miscrave.com/articles/nintendomania

>> No.10344749

>>10344725
I think I only caught a few episodes of this way back in the day, but shit was so cash. Maggie was peak waifu material, too.

>> No.10344758
File: 1.72 MB, 1049x1409, Screenshot_20231022-224546-362.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10344804

I love you guys

>> No.10344872

>>10344804
Thanks! It was a great thread all along.

>> No.10346218

>>10344758
........soul

>> No.10347179

>>10325402
I'm a zoomer so I never saw a PS1 in person, the one I remember being really popular was the PS2, and also the Wii, Nintendo DS and Xbox 360 to some degree. My dad still has a 360 and when I was a kid he used to buy pirated games for us once or twice a month. We didn't play any coop game but we watched each other play our favorite games, the ones he played were too "hard" for me at the time lol

>> No.10348052
File: 408 KB, 640x640, 1682940735531697.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10320816
>>10340541
Indeed, while it's true that Brazil wasn't just Master System land, since Famiclones and the Mega Drive managed to be far more popular, it's still the main region where Master System sold well and gor love during literal decades, so the reputation's deserved.

>> No.10348192

80's Mexican here, growing up I had : NES, GB, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS1 and PS2 in that order.

I considered our family middle class but my Mom must have loved us a lot because most kids around me didn't have video games at all or only had one console, instead, they would come to play to our house. We were on our own for games though, besides the pack-in game (if there was any) and the occasional game for xmas if we were lucky, the expectation was for us to rent or trade and borrow games from other kids, which was a death sentence for the Genesis and Game Boy, I think I only ever met 2 or 3 kids that had either of those, and not precisely during the console's lifespan, they also didn't have many good games. Plenty of kids and rental shops had NES and SNES games though, got to play lots of cool games that way.

PS1 was the first console I bought with my own money, and shortly after I got one of those action replays that plug on the back to play backups without the chip, from there on I lived the pirate life until the PS3. Unfortunately I never saw much in terms of pirate cartridges in my town, would have loved that shit. As an alternative (although not as cheap), I happened to live in a border town and we would cross over for shopping every now and then, that's how we bought a lot of our stuff, usually discounted. Even accounting for the peso devaluation, it was still cheaper to buy directly on the US because domestically sold products had import fees and other bullshit. I still remember buying a brand new copy of Rocket Knight for Genesis for like $6 at a Walmart while my Mom was shopping around for groceries some time after xmas, it was on clearance since the Genesis was on its way out , enjoyed the fuck out of it and was the only other Genesis game I ever owned besides Sonic 2 and Aladdin.

>> No.10348859

do you have any stories of some guy that liked alternative/less popular games that no one else played, maybe tried to convince others to try them
i'm a '99 balkanfag without ties to SA, i can dump my story if anyone's interested
>captcha: T0RS0

>> No.10349070

I have a nice story (brazilian)

My dad was a technician for gradiente and he basically built a famiclone with spare parts they had laying around. He then used some of the machines to flash some roms and brought it back home in a shoebox with a controller. My granddad played them until he fried the circuits

Nintendo soon afterwards entered the market basically because gradiente famiclones were getting out of hand
I like to think my dad played a part in it
He fucking hates videogames nowadays

>> No.10349107

>>10349070
Based dad. Using his intelligence to get over our tight budgets.
>He fucking hates videogames nowadays
Double based dad. Games nowadays suck.

>> No.10350017
File: 1.22 MB, 1536x2172, BD1C7CF2-4DF0-40C6-A79D-B0769B72F5EB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Una de las opciones que trae el juego, es la de poner los textos en español, inglés, frances y alemán. [Por fin, español. Sin embargo, el español que manejan aquí es una combinación muy rara de español y portugués (¡oh no!). También puede que se trate de algún tipo de español del futuro.
>Se supone que en la dificultad dice fácil.
C H U P A O

>> No.10350045

>>10350017
kek

>> No.10350058
File: 77 KB, 640x900, Dt2Po7dUwAMv-ZR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Miyamoto is Basado

>> No.10350112

>>10350017
videogames and 3-part anime episodes on youtube teached me the wonderful world of spaniard dubs.

>> No.10350115
File: 21 KB, 960x599, 1679794981006875.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10350017
>CHUPAO

>> No.10350142

>>10319372
I remember that my aunt received a lot of old magazines from her distant family
one time, she got a magazine (cant remember if it was Club Nintendo or just a gaming guide) of FFIV
The whole guide had both screenshots of the game and artwork from Amano
It was truly wonderful and I still love amanos artwork
P.S: only real poorfags care about emulation or retro gaming, everyone else just plays whatever shit is trending

>> No.10350146
File: 220 KB, 564x800, EE3E90F5-326A-4173-8BF4-C5DC1E68B463.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10350112
My 1st exposure to Spaniard dubs was their Dragon Ball Z movies and Dragon Ball GT episodes being released on VHS and the tapes being copied and rented in my country. So by the years people were seeing them uploaded in YouTube, I was very familiar with Lúz, fuego, destrucción, Onda vital, las bolas del dragon, etc. And given how much it reminds me about the VHS tapes I grew up with, it is really hard for me to hate Spaniard accents. It is one of those endless internet debates like dub vs. sub, where I don't have a really strong preference. To me Spanish is Spanish no matter the accent, like British accents vs. American accents. If the dub is good, it is good regardless of where it is dubbed for and where it is dubbed from. Though, the one that really gets people going is which dub they grew watching The Simpsons in the '90s and early '00s. It is wild going to Disney+ and hearing how the other dubs were (European Spanish, Latin American Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, European Portuguese, Canadian French, European French, German, Dutch, etc.)

>> No.10350823

>>10350058
Levels of soul never imagined

>> No.10350840
File: 1.05 MB, 940x1500, 1691719291963919.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10350146
As a mexibeaner who actually used to rent these spaniard tapes (bootlegs anyways) before in 99 they apply that law that destroyed both bootlegs and old tapes too of unwatched, obscure, unsold movies, can anyone pinpoint me, when did these spaniard GT tapes were coming, i only rented the first 3 volumes in 99 (because i believe those were the only ones that were brought of here in mexico, they had most of the Dragonball movies and even the 1st Sailormoon film)

>> No.10350925
File: 95 KB, 320x180, dbz_movie04_title.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10350146
>>10350840
The only way Latin America had to watch dbz was the manga video (or "pex anime" as I called them, if you know you know), tapes. I remember my first one was "el superguerrero son goku". This will always bring me massive nostalgia, silly "gohanda" whistle song in the beginning included.
Then it was all the other ones. This was 97 or so. I do remember seeing GT for the first time in 1998. Thought it would take years for it to reach us, but I think by 1999 or 2000 it was dubbed and on TV

>> No.10350950

>>10350925
On the pepper country we got DB by 96, but I saw some VHS of the DBZ movies and can remember the Broly one being the first I ever saw. Obviously with the spainard dub.

>> No.10350991

>>10350925
>The only way Latin America had to watch dbz was the manga video (or "pex anime" as I called them, if you know you know), tapes. I remember my first one was "el superguerrero son goku"

Mi Negro, my cousin from another state literally had a bootleg VHS with that movie precisely, the first one i saw with that dub was Super Android 13 (Los 3 Grandes Super Sayanos/La Batalla de los Tres Saiyajin / Los 3 sayanos mas Fuertes) and the first one i rented myself was the Bojack one (Los Guerreros de Plata).

I believe i rented/saw most of the movies minus Garlick Jr, the 2 shitty Broly sequels, Ataque del Dragon y El Camino hacia el mas Fuerte, which i never saw on VHS from spain by the time they got rid of all the bootlegs in Mexico in most places, y also rented the 3rd OG dragonball movie (Aventura Mistica).

The rest i didnt saw with the spaniard dub at the time, only saw them with the latino dub during 98 and 99 when they premiered on TV and the Turles and 1st Broly on VHS when they were released, and btw, they were released on Theaters too.

>> No.10351004

>>10350950
Dragonball had the Zero y el Dragon Magico dub from 93-94 but that one got canned, then they restarted the ''classic'' dub on Producciones Salgado for the same 60 episodes and scripts, and premiered in mid 95 or so, then in late 96/early 97 Intertrack got the rights and dubbed the rest of classic dragonball which premiered in 96, then the whole show re-runned from the beginning and then in late September of 97, we got DBZ.

>> No.10351294

>>10350925
>first one was "el superguerrero son goku". This will always bring me massive nostalgia, silly "gohanda" whistle song in the beginning included.
Oh, man, that was the first Dragon Ball Z tape I rented from Spain, and it was just literally my first time hearing their voices. It was a dub from the "King Slug" movie, where Piccolo's ears being sensitive for Gohan's whistling became a weakness for King Slug, who was implied Namek.

>> No.10351627

Argie here, I remember watching the Zero dub around 1995 or 1996 on cable TV.
Also, in 1994, a company called Jocsa got the rights from bandai to release the first 12 or so figures from the Super Battle toy collection of DBZ. Nobody even knew about original Dragon Ball yet, at least not most people unless you were already into japanese manga and stuff. Jocsa promoted the toys by showing some of the DBZ movies (spain dub) on air TV, on a video game TV show called Top Kids. It was surreal because you had little context about the characters, but as a kid, I liked seeing all the crazy stuff going on.
I also remember seeing the DBZ video games (Super Butoden and the Mega Drive one) around 1994, thanks to piracy.
In fact, Jocsa used footage from Super Butoden to promote the toys too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6jCT-2gcmY

>> No.10351664

>>10351627
>japanese manga
Redundant. If it is not Japanese, it is not manga.

>> No.10351696

>>10351664
True, but you never know these days. They advertised the Netflix castlevania as "anime"

>> No.10351708

>>10351696
Netflix are retarded.
News at eleven.

>> No.10351721
File: 98 KB, 727x1000, 81oXcswkskL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10351664
What's this then?

>> No.10351729
File: 2.93 MB, 2417x1984, 2C739ECA-CC07-4200-BBE7-9AE6D374C9DC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10351721
>It is a style, bro.

>> No.10351818
File: 1.33 MB, 2318x3238, F7EE0F58-BFE9-4769-9630-0FEA1D8CEC15.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Respondiendo a las necesidades comerciales que aparecen cada vez que una nueva serie de TV llega a ser muy popular en los Estados Unidos. Acclaim ha decidido lanzar un juego con la licencia de un programa de bastante rating en ese país de nombre "South Park." Esto no es de extrañarse y la historia es testigo de este tipo de hechos, pues cada vez que un programa se vuelve muy popular, es necesario llevarlo al videojuego. Recordemos que ya anteriormente Beavis and Butthead por su total irreverencia fueron muy populares; y antes de ellos Ren and Stimpy con su humor grotesco también lo fueron; y antes Los Simpson con su humor crítico también y mucho antes que ellos Los Pitufos con su... bueno. ¿Qué esperabas? eran los 80's.

>> No.10351904
File: 118 KB, 750x650, carmelo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10351818
this is still one of my guilty pleasure games.
>my mom cooks u guys for breakfast

>> No.10351913

>>10351904
I miss '90s and early '00s South Park like you wouldn't believe. Especially the crass dub they had on Locomotion. It does not compare to the official dub we have now.

>> No.10351934

>>10351913
I watched south park with that dub and also with the mexican dub that replaced most of the vulgarities with mexican slang (even watched the pilot episode where the characters had names like ivan, carmelo, aldo and luis).

>> No.10351940

>>10351913
I didn't like the MTV dub too, between some characterizations and the TORO-E levels of translations.

>> No.10351963

>>10351940
my favorite retro games: HEROES DE GUITARRA and MUNDO DEL ARTE DE LA GUERRA.

>> No.10352847
File: 689 KB, 1519x2125, 1C63D1B6-D33E-476D-862E-F837B5D3493F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10352912

>>10352847
SOUL

>> No.10352959

Love this thread, love you all

>> No.10353849

>>10351627
>Jocsa promoted the toys by showing some of the DBZ movies (spain dub) on air TV, on a video game TV show called Top Kids. It was surreal because you had little context about the characters, but as a kid, I liked seeing all the crazy stuff going on.
>I also remember seeing the DBZ video games (Super Butoden and the Mega Drive one) around 1994, thanks to piracy.
>In fact, Jocsa used footage from Super Butoden to promote the toys too.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6jCT-2gcmY [Embed]

Damn, what would have been for Argies if they first saw the spaniard dubbed DBZ novies on TV, only for years later see them again with the Latino dub, do you have more insight of that?

>> No.10353853

>>10351627
Those look like bootlegs judging by the eyes and the ''cutomized'' figures.

>> No.10353858

>>10351940
>>10351963
>>10351934
When MTV took over the dubbing of South Park it all went to shit, all starting Season 10, not to mention all the fuckery with the many redubbed seasons, oddly enough they sorta recovered the original Locomotion dub of season 7.

>> No.10354270

Im a venezuelan american zoomer, so went i went to venezuela to stay with my family for the only time (around 2009-2010) i brought my DS and all of my games, my cousins kept fucking stealing my games in the night and selling them at local game shops, I remember bringing along a copy of Minish Cap and my cousin sneaked into the room i was sleeping with three other people and stole it from the bedside counter, and he went back to his family so i didn't see him for another month. When he came back he brought along that same fucking cartridge and tried to pretend it was his, I felt bad for them because my family back there is kind of poor so I dropped it.
But yeah, I have a really vivid memory of there being game shops with shelves filled with romhacks of GBA pokemon games on GBA cartridges, with like really cool cover art and shit, it was really impressive to imagine that you could play hundreds of pokemon games instead of the five we had in america

>> No.10354281
File: 1.32 MB, 1200x1600, 435328362_tcimg_FB91CDAB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10353849
My experience was like that. I remember seeing some of the DBZ movies on TV in '94, then the Zero dub of original DB around 1995 (it was only the Pilaf saga or so iirc, or that's what I remember watching), then finally proper dub around 1996, I remember it getting to the Red Ribbon, then restarting from the beginning and it was like that a couple times. Around when I was watching the Piccolo Daimao (or "Pikoro Daimaku") saga, I started getting more into the whole franchise proper, playing the Super Butoden games, watching more of the movies from spanish VHSs, and also reading the manga imported from Spain (many local comics stores carried many manga edited in Spain, I was also reading Ranma for example, years earlier it started on TV here).
By the time DBZ started airing here in Argentina, in early '98, I was already familiar with the story and all the characters that would come.
I have nostalgia for those times being so confused, consuming different bits of the franchise without knowing too much yet, like for example I was watching Piccolo Daimao saga on TV, playing Super Butoden 2 with the Cell saga, and reading the Boo saga on the serie roja manga. My mind was stimulated to the max and my imagination ran wild.
>>10353853
Yeah they were cheaper builds than the Bandai originals, and they indeed did some customized bootleg as fuck figures ("Bulma" and "Goku Jr" or whatever), but they really did have the license from Bandai and got the molds for them, they are official believe it or not.

>> No.10354707

Brazil is all about Playstation 2, Playstation, SNES, Mega Drive and Master System.
Xbox, Gamecube, original NES and Saturn are all exotic shit.

>> No.10354821

>>10354707
We had a lot of Nes clones, but yeah, the original Famicon was never a thing here, must because the block of imports that was impose until 1991. In 92, Atari 2600 still was a thing over here.

And yeah I never saw a Saturn or a Game Cube in my life.

Curious to note that Neo Geo CD was really easy to find here. I had one and 2 friends of mine owned one too.

>> No.10355028
File: 318 KB, 1272x1749, Hobby Consolas 101 tiosinnombre.pdf-126.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10350146
Hobby consolas used to give away but increasing its price some dragon ball films and gt episodes from late 1997 to late 1999.

>> No.10355213

>>10350146
>>10350925
>>10355028
Wait a sec, DB was not brodcast on TV in the other countries of LA until 98? WTF

>> No.10355240

We had popular animes in the 80's (Robotech, Mazinger, Wizard of Oz, Ironman 28). They broadcast a few spanish dub DBZ movies on TV in the early 90's (ATC) but nobody really knew what that was. It wasn't until Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon that the anime boom really took off in a massive way. They opened the gateways to DBZ, Ranma, and all that came after.

>> No.10355254

>>10355213

Huh, bruh? >>10351004 read this.

>> No.10355293

>>10354707
>>10354821
Saturn was known in Brazil...partially, unlike in U.S. retailers weren't mad at sega so it was in essentially every store and tectoy made sure to advertise it everywhere they could.
The problem was the price + being harder to pirate compared to the playstation, which made the Saturn seem like the "richman's console" (like the neo geo MVS or 3DO) except for the few Sega loyalists that were cursed to not being able to afford as many games as everyone else with a ps1.
GameCube and orginal Xbox were like myths here though, only BR i know that had a GC is one of my friends, he got it from his colombian grandma when his family came to visit, he'd later sell it because no store here had Gamecube games.

>> No.10355553

>>10355293
>Saturn was known in Brazil...partially, unlike in U.S. retailers weren't mad at sega so it was in essentially every store and tectoy made sure to advertise it everywhere they could.
>The problem was the price + being harder to pirate compared to the playstation, which made the Saturn seem like the "richman's console" (like the neo geo MVS or 3DO) except for the few Sega loyalists that were cursed to not being able to afford as many games as everyone else with a ps1.
>GameCube and orginal Xbox were like myths here though, only BR i know that had a GC is one of my friends, he got it from his colombian grandma when his family came to visit, he'd later sell it because no store here had Gamecube games.

I feel sorry for him but also his poor grandma, gave him a gamecube as agift, and then he hald to sold it just cause he needed the money? most be hell to live in south america.

>> No.10355885

>>10355553
>and then he hald to sold it just cause he needed the money?
No, he just wanted a ps2 and used the money to buy one.

>> No.10357119
File: 63 KB, 354x480, 9A9ACAA8-F024-4E90-A569-45D90D5082AD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Material nunca antes publicado

>> No.10357137

>>10355213
In spain we got dragon ball in 1989/1990 Galicia, canal sur, vascos, catalanes, y canal sur, Andalucia.

Rest of europe too.

In Hispano América I thingk dragon ball arrived in a OFFICIAL way a few years later

>> No.10357661 [DELETED] 

>>10354707
Dreamcast was a bit popular in Brazil right? I think people even fit DVD rips into DC discs and sold them.

>> No.10357669

>>10354707
Dreamcast was a bit popular in Brazil, right? I think i saw some pics of movie DVD rips fit into Dreamcast CDs being sold there