[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 202 KB, 833x751, Screenshot_20231005-163507.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10307427 No.10307427 [Reply] [Original]

A few years ago I stopped playing games in English. It's been great because I don't have to rely on romhacks to uncensor everything, I don't have to put up with "localization" changes, and I don't have to wait 30 years for translation patches or push through crappy fan translations that just plugged everything into Google translate.
It's a much better experience to just enjoy the original releases how the developers intended. I even fell in love with some games that I previously hated - turns out they just had bad translations and the original writing was excellent.

>> No.10307428

In the time it took you to learn nip I played games and enjoyed them for what they were

>> No.10307431

>>10307427
Dear diary, OP was pretty based today.
>I even fell in love with some games that I previously hated
Secret of Mana for me.

>> No.10307435

In the time it took you to learn another language and greatly increase your skillset and open up more of the world for yourself, I did nothing but consume entertainment and now enjoy a lesser experience with nothing to show for years of my life

>> No.10307438

>>10307427
I do this with Japanese games too. In general, I play any game in the language it was made in. Only difference is, I don't actually know Japanese, but that doesn't really stop me.

>> No.10307441

>>10307428
>I enjoyed them for what they were
Nah you didn't. You enjoyed some butchered version with butchered dialogue and butchered humour.
Forget the humour, translator make basic mistakes more often than you'd think. I checked many scripts and i can't count the times where "i [verb]" is translated as "he [verb]".

>> No.10307442

>>10307427
>I even fell in love with some games that I previously hated
Like?

>> No.10307447

>>10307428
Jokes on you. I primarily learned nip through playing games, reading novels and watching TV. So in the time that it took me to learn nip, I was playing games and enjoying them as the developers intended.

>> No.10307465

>>10307442
Phantasy Star 1-4, FF7, Mother 2 (and played the rest of the series), Snatcher, Eternal Arcadia, Grandia, Rockman 8, Gyakuten Saiban series, and Pokemon Black and White.

>> No.10307467

>>10307431
>>10307441
Based anons. You get it.

>> No.10307491
File: 747 KB, 1360x768, Eliminado_vice_city.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10307427
>A few years ago I stopped playing games in English
Based, me too. Imagine playing in English for no reason when you can just play in the language you're more familiar with so you can pay attention to the actual game.

>> No.10307494

>>10307491
Imagine playing games in a criminal tongue.

>> No.10307563

>>10307427
I am doubtful that you can appreciate the writing on the level you claim you are if Japanese isn't your native language.
Understanding what's going on is one thing, but differentiating good writing from bad writing seems incredibly difficult.

>> No.10307571

>>10307563
this
its cope

but still kudos
learning languages later in life is difficult

>> No.10307572

>>10307427
not being able to speed read japanese, i've started to appreciate games with decent stories or fun writing a lot more because the words get more time to sink in, and dropping games with bad/boring writing which i would've played through anyway if they were in english.
it's a good way to filter out timewasters.

>> No.10307580

>>10307563
>differentiating good writing from bad writing seems incredibly difficult
Not when you're fluent. If I can read 三島由紀夫 novels then I can play fucking Earthbound, retard.

>> No.10307591

>>10307563
So this is the power of N3. S-sugoi.

>> No.10307592

>>10307491
my first language is spanish but back in the day they never translated any good game in spanish so i learned english just so i could understand what the fuck was happening in ff5 and now that every game gets translated to spanish i still play them in english out of spite

>> No.10307694

>>10307580
Not asking what you can read. Asking what you can analyze.

>> No.10307726

>>10307694
>analyze
NTA but we're talking about simple JRPGs here anon. The difference between Eng and Jap usually just comes down to Jap conveying more charming personalities. It's not hard to grasp that, the characters are just more charming. In those early JRPGs ENG versions make basically no attempt to convey any personalities at all for any of the characters, they all come off as wooden generic nobodies.

>> No.10307740

>>10307427
>how the developers intended
The most annoying part is some games are trapped in a weird limbo where Japanese devs themselves wanted those games to be in English. Like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Rule of Rose, you can play them in Japanese but it'll still have ENG VA, reminding you that Japanese version is not meant to be the original. And yet ENG versions are still laughably bad in many of those cases. RE's ENG VA is laughed at to this day.
And these days we have devs lip-synching their games to ENG versions exclusively in games like FF16 and Bayonetta.
And then you have games like FF10 where international version with all the additions doesn't have a Japanese dub and so you either play the original PS2 version or the shitty remake.
What were they thinking

>> No.10307745

>>10307726
I get the opposite feeling, where the Japanese as it is, is just 2D archetypes (old man speaking like a generic old man, etc.) and the localizers would try to inject personality where it didn't really exist, often to negative but memorable effect.

>> No.10307748

>>10307740
Japanese have a long history of making product intended for non-Japanese. See "Japanese export porcelain", with motives more pleasing to the European, rather than native eye.

>> No.10307764

>>10307748
Shouldn't stop them from having a proper version for the local market. MGS had the decency to release good Japanese versions as well as ENG ones, why didn't RE do that

>> No.10307765

>>10307745
I feel this is often exaggerated a lot, specially by localizers trying to justify their changes.

>> No.10307770

>>10307765
Probably.
However I have not found characters to be more endearing in Japanese.
I'm sure little quirks are going over my head, but I think there is some truth to the notion that a lot of how "personality" is given to Japanese characters is giving them a special way to end their sentences and other shallow things.

>> No.10307771

>>10307745
>localizers would try to inject personality
Usually making the characters less likeable as a result. Japanese version of characters are always more likeable in JRPGs

>> No.10307774

>>10307770
ENG versions always come off as more arrogant and rude. Not /vr/ but we recently had Cloud saying "bitch" in FF7R. There's your "injection of personality" hope you enjoy it

>> No.10307779

>>10307491
Playing games in the native language you where born and raised with actually does help you concentrate. I saw the difference with books. I can speak English in a proficient way, but it will never replace Greek. Fuck "globalization" when all it does is take away your property and make it available to foreigners that can buy anything you can't with the money you will never have.

>> No.10307786

>>10307774
Cloud is an arrogant and rude person in the beginning of FF7 though. That's his whole deal, he's pretending to be the tough, cool, aloof mercenary.

>> No.10307795

>>10307740
Every single game you listed is shit. I play games that are overflowing with soul and 和, not 外人向け garbage.

>> No.10307801

>>10307764
>why didn't RE do that
Keiji Inafune

>> No.10307802

>>10307465
Can you elaborate about Pokémon Black and White?

>> No.10307808

>>10307802
The English versions of the games used the same translator for the first 4 gens and he did a pretty good job. He left after Platinum, but much of the dialogue for HGSS was recycled from his translations so not much has changed. Black and White were the first games in the series to have completely new translators, and that's why the dialogue (and pokemon naming sense) changes completely starting with those two games.

The dialogue is much better in the Japanese version.

>> No.10307815

>>10307427
>A few years ago I stopped playing games in English. It's been great because I don't have to rely on romhacks to uncensor everything
Sounds like doing it out of necessity. I'm from Poland, and I got my first PC in late 1999, which was mainly used for, you guessed it, for gaming. But back then not that many games were translated to my native tongue so that meant slowly learning English by myself even before I had English classes at school. Kids these days don't have to do that, and their poor English skills reflect it. Well, my biggest obstacle when it comes to Japanese is their writing - is there any other language in the world that uses THREE scripts simultaneously? The grammar and pronunciation doesn't seem too difficult from what I know and as a matter of fact, a weeb friend of mine was able to translate spoken sentences from some cutscenes, but he knows fuck all about reading Japanese, there are languages that utilize Latin alphabet but sound like a clusterfuck of gibberish, eg. Hungarian or Finnish. If the Japanese would switch to romaji transcription it would have been far easier for us to learn the language, but at the same time it would be deprived from what makes it so distinct... and difficult to learn at the same time. Which is why physical copies of jRPG or other text-heavy retro games are laughably cheap. Plus, some games will never be translated due to technical reasons (SFC Popful Mail, for example).

tl;dr - I wish I could learn Japanese via playing games, just as I did with English, but it seems impossible, and being a 32-year-old fag I don't really think I have the time. Besides, is it really worth learning Japanese just for games and anime?

>>10307740
I recently play Evil Zone a lot, it's a pretty quirky fighter, but I prefer the Japanese version (Eretzvaju) just because English voiceover is sooo god-awful that I'd rather drill my ears out than listen to it.

>> No.10307817

>>10307808
Yeah, Nob was a blessing. I wonder if in my language the translation was actually decent, compared to English. It's been a hot minute since I last played bw

>> No.10307827

>>10307774
I was saying injecting personality is basically universally bad. I hate that shit which is part of why I learned Japanese.
I think it's just bold to say you can appreciate how well-written something is in a language which is not native to you. Being able to read and understand something is miles away from being able to recognize the aesthetic merits of the way its written.
Obviously it's plain for most English speakers to see how poorly written lots of localizations are, so that may make it seem like the original is well-written, in comparison, but I think that's all it is.

>> No.10307830

>>10307815
Just use OCR to scan the words you can't read and then scan them with your favorite dictionary. It's not rocket science.
>Is it worth it
It is if you get something out of it.

>> No.10307834

>>10307770
>a lot of how "personality" is given to Japanese characters is giving them a special way to end their sentences and other shallow things
The way a character speaks is generally a large part of their character in any language, especially in games where text is the only way they can emote. What exactly defines a character in English if not the way they talk?

>> No.10307835

>>10307427
I had sex

>> No.10307836

>>10307428
Cope
The amount of subtle nuance to Japanese is incredible, gave me a brain blowjob when I started to parse sentences together with double meanings.

>> No.10307837

>>10307827
I just want to understand it how the devs intended. Lots of things can't even be translated. For example the word liberty has a French counterpart, but the meaning of the French word for liberty is different than the meaning of the English word for liberty because the oppressive thing that they sought liberty from was different than American society. This is a simple example of a single word, but languages in general work like this. You can't just simply translate stuff, you HAVE to make changes. And stuff like jokes can rarely ever be translated.

And that's assuming a perfect environment. In the case of old games, there were hard character limits because all of the text has to fit into the same space that the Japanese characters occupied, and anyone who knows anything about Japanese knows that you can express more information with far fewer characters, so the text has to not only he changed due to differences in culture and language but they also have to cut out information in order to make it fit into the text boxes.

It's a recipe for disaster. The end result will be something completely different. And I have yet to even mention localization changes, censorship, and translators changing shit that they don't like or rewriting things entirely because they're lazy (Working Designs did this a lot).

>> No.10307842

>>10307834
Their actions in the story. How they respond to situations.
A Japanese cat character saying nyaa at the end of the sentence or the localized character saying cat puns is just superficial quirks in both. The original is likely to be less cringe, so it's preferable, but these mannerisms don't really define the personality of a character, although the word personality is often used to describe quirkiness like that.

>> No.10307843

I call this Autism

>> No.10307846

>>10307427
The only way your blogstory could be true is if you went full weebtard and play nothing but weebshit. I'm not sure which is more embarrassing. Doing that, or lying about doing that.

>> No.10307847

>>10307795
Based fellow Tengai Makyou enjoyer.

>> No.10307853

I really don't care about written video game stories. I like it when the game makes me do things more so than read about them. Bioware seems to have a big problem with this and how much text that you could potentially sift through from a standard NPC.

>> No.10307858

Yeah, same. For me it went doujin works, manga, anime, games in order of when I stopped consuming translations.

I still avoid kana heavy titles though. I should really just play through a few NES adventure games to get used to it, but I don't have time for that shit. Played the SNES versions of DQ1+2 instead.

>>10307847
TM is great. I keep meaning to play through TM2, but I wound up skipping it and playing Linda Cubed instead, which is my favorite JRPG ever from a gameplay standpoint, it's just really well balanced.

>> No.10307859

>>10307846
I only play Japanese-developed games, if that's what you're referring to by "weebshit". Westerners never figured out how to make good games.

>>10307847
I haven't played that yet but it's on my backlog. Is the first one any good or should I start with 2?

>> No.10307862

>>10307859
Holy shit, it's a weeaboo.

>> No.10307869

>>10307858
>I still avoid kana heavy titles though. I should really just play through a few NES adventure games to get used to it
That's basically all you have to do. Play Pokemon and you'll be used to it by the time you finish the game. It's actually not that bad. Either you know the words or you don't.
>>10307862
You're either in Europe or America. American devs are so bad that they killed their own industry and had to be rescued by the Japanese, and they're currently in the process of killing their industry again. Europeans are literally retarded and think that water hurts you. Meanwhile Japanese developers are credited not only for making all of the greatest games of all time, but for creating basically every genre of video game as well. If enjoying Japanese games makes me a weeaboo then not enjoying Japanese games makes you a braindead retard.

>> No.10307880

>>10307859
>Westerners never figured out how to make good games.
Westerners had a very brief period when they knew how to make games. Titles like Deus Ex and Planescape are up there with the best of them.

>Is the first one any good
It's a fun game, but a bit of it is due to the novelty. The game is disgustingly impressive for the middle of 1989, with charming voice acting, a fun story that was clearly the prototype for Sakura Wars, and even some simplistic full screen sprite animation for cut scenes.

>> No.10307884

>>10307427
good for you I guess? what is the point of this thread other than bragging? nobody ever argues that is not better to play games in original...

>> No.10307887
File: 652 KB, 844x1028, 1683124110213259.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10307869
HOLY WEEB.

>> No.10307889

>>10307771
Yeah, so they're not more likeable because of the quality of the original writing, but when compared to butchered horseshit.
I agree with that, but don't think that makes me qualified to talk about how well-written the games are in Japanese.

>> No.10307897

>>10307884
Yes, it's just bragging and also dunning-kruger stuff where he thinks he's a Japanese literary critic.
Very sad weeb faggot.

>> No.10307898

>>10307869
There is 99% of chances that you are an Otaku Neckbeard you will never have a Japanese Wife or be Japanese Sorry

>> No.10307903

>>10307880
>The game is disgustingly impressive for the middle of 1989
That sounds right up my alley. You sold me on the game with this single sentence.

>> No.10307905

>>10307898
I already have a Japanese wife and a Japanese passport. Sorry to burst your bubble.

>> No.10307920

>>10307491
Monolingual loser cope

>> No.10307959

>>10307786
They also make Aeri* swear for no good reason tho. He has a point. It's like how Squall is ridiculously abrasive to the point of memery in FFVIII. Most of the whatevers are actually casual apologies in the original, which makes the character a lot more reasonable and less of a turbodick.

In a disproportionate amount of JP>EN localizations you end up with a ton of edge, "fucks" and "shits" that never existed, pop culture references added (I don't mean changing existing ones, I mean adding them wholesale), random mistakes that radically change the understanding of the plot (autistic shipping wars inclusive), random added memes and even changes that make absolutely no sense. That, and/or a lot of cringe random accents thrown around (that approach is lazy as fuck). At times you end up with changes that work beautifully, but a broken clock is right twice a day.
But the problem I have is at times it feels like they are taking advantage of the fact that very few westerners can read the language fluently enough to catch their bullshit, specially when they are smug about it like if they made the entire game from scratch themselves. You know, the whole "it was nothing but trash until I fixed it" routine. And then you read the original and there's objectively nothing wrong with it.

That said, I do know there are localizers that take their job seriously and do it well, but those are not the ones running their mouth as the sole savior of some piece of entertainment in socials or interviews, and, what a coincidence, only do the changes they must. Those are chill and we need more of them. Shoo the clowns away, you know.

Still, Japanese in particular benefits from being able to "get it". At times you can explain totally nonsensical actions from the variety of language modifiers that get lost in translation, such as politeness degrees and honorifics. And I've come to appreciate how creepy the extremely polite villains can get with no snobby brit accents attached.

>> No.10307963 [DELETED] 

>>10307903
And i am Elon Musk

>> No.10307965

Are you that same autist who was boasting how he was going to play every Gen 2 piece of media in japanese due to how superior he was?

You aren't impressing anyone, if you learned japanese, good for you, that's great honestly but if you just did it to boast about it in front of a bunch of anonymous people then your life must be pretty sad.

>> No.10307968

>>10307905
And i am Elon Musk

>> No.10307971

>>10307859
>is the first one any good
It's basic compared to the sequels but i thouroughly enjoyed it.

>> No.10308060

>>10307971
That's two recommendations from dekiru's, now I HAVE to check it out.

>> No.10308158

>>10307859
It's both hilarious and scary how some weebs will go so far down the weebbit hole that they lose all sense of reality and ability to communicate with sane people.
There are plenty of good games made by westerners. You being unable to git gud at a game doesn't mean it's not good. It's not that westerners never "figured out" how to make games playable by little femboys. It's just that there was no market for that in the west back then.

>> No.10308202

>>10307815
The thing about learning Japanese is that you don't have to do it all at once. I've been slowly learning by reading about expressions or grammar I didn't understand, gradually catching some kanji and the logic behind them by osmosis/frequency of use and of course using dictionaries when I find new words.

It took me years but it also took me almost no effort because it was somewhat natural and now I'm at a fairly comfortable level. I learned English the same way. You improve a bit every time you consume something in Japanese, if you bother to satisfy your curiosity about what this and that means.

A friend from Japan has been helping me out over time as well.
If you want to meet natives, I found Japanese nerds are pretty willing to talk to foreigners on our shared socials if you are polite and share interests, specially the ones that want to improve their English or other languages you may speak. You can enter some sort of nerd mutualism that is a bit more impersonal (at least at first) but is surprisingly chill and a good source of first hand info that you can't get just from a wiki or whatever, while also improving your nihongo. The fact that you have to actually try instead of learning passively helps a lot.

Also Evil Zone is 101% fucking stereotypes it's amazing. Someone in there loved his job and a lot of anime.

>> No.10308403

I want to do the same but fuck is kanji hard

>> No.10308423

>>10307491
French for me.

>> No.10308427

>>10307465
This nigger learned jap to play megaman lmao what in the fuck

>> No.10308442

>>10307491
I even prefer some of the local dubbing

>> No.10308449

>>10307427
And as boring as that is, it's not even true, is it?

>> No.10308513

>>10307920
EOPig moment

>> No.10308518

>>10307427
No you didn't.

>> No.10308643

It's interesting to see how many so-called fluent japmasters are nothing short of arrogant cunts. I've never seen a humble person, ever. And i'm sure i'll get the usual reply of "cope eop fag" so whatever. Oh yeah, did you know op has been doing this for over 2 years here? His life is just sad.

>> No.10308765
File: 2 KB, 960x288, I.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

CHADsey
>You spoony bard!
>Son of a submariner!

Meanwhile
>How could it not be like that?!
>Heeeee! Damn it!

>> No.10308830

>>10308427
>>10308449
>>10308518
>>10308643
>learning a new language is a waste of time, unlike playing ancient video games
Holy kek, the insecurity in this thread.
Not OP here, i speak 4 languages. It's not hard you retards.

>> No.10308839

>>10307441
no anon
they are games
you play them

>> No.10308853

>>10307441
Don't care. I had fun, and that's the only thing that mattered
>b-but the creator's vision!
He should've learnt English (lingua franca of the world) and translated it himself if he was so worried about foreigners not experiencing it as he wanted us to. Not my problem

>> No.10308867

>>10307771
Japanese characters don't have personalities, they are tropes. The 'tsundere' the 'horny teen', the 'senile old man', and so on. It's the result of their writing descending from a particular form of theatre that revolved around putting stock characters in various absurd situations. Japanese writing has NEVER been good, and more often than not localisations improve them. Anyone who says otherwise is a contrarian high on cultural cringe. No, you do not understand the joke that relies on wordplay from a 17th century novel you have never heard of. No you did not catch the reference to a TV drama that ran for two seasons in the early 80s on TV Tokyo. Stop acting like you did.

>> No.10308878
File: 94 KB, 604x377, 1403752649239.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10308867

>> No.10308889

>>10308830
I'm semi-fluent in two languages besides English, one of which is functionally dead and the other is dead. Being multilingual is only a boon if English isn't your first language, at which point that second language should be English. There is zero reason to learn a second language if your first is English, and it is turd world cope to try and brag about how many languages you know. It's essentially admitting the country you come from is such an irrelevant backwater you had to learn an entire different language just to be able to communicate with someone from outside of your hometown.

>> No.10308893

>>10308878
Rage, weeb. You're the sort of faggot that thinks he's smart because he watched Excel Saga and understood some of the jokes.

>> No.10308909

So, if I can read all three sillabaries butmknlw jack shit of japanese, which retro game could I play to start learning?

>> No.10309006

That's impressive OP and I'm jealous of your commitment. Using games to learn jap is something I've been meaning to try out for a while. Maybe I'll finally give jap Crystal a try.

>>10308202
>If you want to meet natives, I found Japanese nerds are pretty willing to talk to foreigners on our shared socials if you are polite and share interests, specially the ones that want to improve their English or other languages you may speak.
By socials you mean like twitter and shit? Maybe I should just try lurking 2ch.

>> No.10309054

>>10307817
>Nob's online handle (Doug Dinsdale) is a reference to Monty Python
Exactly how well would the average Japanese person "get" MP, since the show is so heavily-British as its core?

>> No.10309093

>>10307447
>I primarily learned nip through playing games, reading novels and watching TV.
Why lie? The developers didnt intend for some fool who thinks has playing the game to be sitting there goofily looking up every other word and getting 90% of what he "read" wrong anyway because he doesn't know the language to an acceptable level. You didn't play a single goddamn thing.

>> No.10309113
File: 271 KB, 1024x1024, 1696267269584905.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10307427
Then go post on 2ch instead of blogging on here, faggot.

>> No.10309176

>>10308889
>There is zero reason to learn a second language if your first is English
Experiencing art the way the artist intended is a pretty good reason, whether that be games or anime or manga or whatever. That's why I did, and then I ended up moving to Japan and found it was much better than the shithole where I grew up.

>> No.10309180

>>10309054
Nob is American.

>> No.10309192

>>10309093
>Why lie?
I'm not lying. I started with Clannad. When I first started I had to look up basically everything. By the time I finished all of the routes I was already fluent enough to play RPGs and was able to play stuff like Rockman EXE and Pokemon without having to lookup vocab. You're coping pretty hard.

>> No.10309194

>>10309113
/thread

>> No.10309205

>>10307843
I call you subhuman

>> No.10309229

>>10308643
That's true, it takes a certain amount of nolifer weeb autism to learn Japanese. Unfortunately many of those people are simply cunts, as you can observe in this thread. Which kind of explains why so many translations are bad, it's these exact unlikeable assholes making them. Which is why you should learn Japanese yourself instead of having to read the nonsense that the mentally ill westerners who know Japanese tend to write. It's a lose lose really

>> No.10309234

>>10309113
Japanese forums are horrible because their online culture is even worse than ours. In fact their entire society is horrible. But they do make good games

>> No.10309241

>>10309194
>>10309229
>>10309234
The amount of coping in this thread is absolutely hilarious.

>> No.10309252

>>10309241
Coping with what? I play games in Japanese, I also think that you come off as an asshole. And if you don't agree that 5ch sucks then why aren't you there right now

>> No.10309303
File: 55 KB, 600x600, dogga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So whats the best way to learn japanese?

>> No.10309306

>>10307427
>not a single kanji
I have a feeling pokemon games are terrible to start learning jap. Am I wrong?

>> No.10309307
File: 21 KB, 229x173, 1595339602487.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10309303

>> No.10309327
File: 1.32 MB, 828x1792, IMG_3619.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10309252
I'm not an asshole, you guys just cry like babies over every little thing. Language learning is easy, so why not play games in their original language? The amount of people in this thread crying that someone would do such a thing is hilarious.
>I do play games in Japanese
Do you comprehend them?
>if you don't agree that 5ch sucks then why aren't you there right now
I do post on 5ch, but if you knew Japanese like you claim to then you would know that the retro game boards on 5ch are much less active than /vr/. Most of the good retro gaming discussion in Japanese happens on Twitter. I'm also active there, but why limit myself to a single community? I'm bilingual after all.

>> No.10309331

>>10309306
You're not wrong. It's better to start with games that use kanji because it's easier to search for words you don't know. It's best to start with visual novels or adventure games like Air or something. If you're dead set on starting with an RPG, look for a script dump online to make it easier to look up unknown words since OCR can be annoying sometimes.
>>10309303
Consume media in Japanese. Search everything you don't know in a dictionary and make flashcards. I started with Clannad and by the time I finished every route I was able to hold my own.

>> No.10309403

>>10307465
>Pokemon Black and White
Those games are dogshit no matter what language you play them in, they killed the series.

>> No.10309412

>>10309403
No they're not. I like N.

>> No.10309413

>>10309403
i played them for the first time last year and was surprised with how much fun i was having. it can't be that awful if it's still entertaining unless your judgement is that i am a fucking idiot who can only enjoy shit.

>> No.10309426

Another /v/ tourist makes a thread about something unrelated to video games. This time Japanese? Seriously? It's not even video games related. Of course the "nihongo" larpers eat it up because they're desperate to show how much they know about the language (anonymously). Fucking LOL.

>> No.10309439

>>10307427
This thread has nothing to do with retro video games. It has no relevance to any particular retro game or console, and it's simply at best a fat weeb blog posting, and at worst and far more likely a fat weeb trying to start a shitposting thread.
And the most hilarious part is you could make this exact same thread word for word about any other language and it would be deleted within an hour

>> No.10309453

>>10309439
>I taught myself binary and now I no longer play games, I just look at the ones and zeroes of the code and experience the games in my head.
>If you say I'm a liar you're a coping faggot.

>> No.10309476
File: 134 KB, 323x241, 1478216229203.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10309453

>> No.10309479

>>10307869
>but for creating basically every genre of video game as well.
lmao this is so retarded even from a turbo weeb I can't believe you actually hit post. Western devs created shooters, first person shooters, adventure games, RPGs, sports games, point and click games, RTS games, horror games, MOBAs, open world games, racing games, fmv games, platform games, and puzzle games.
Japs created fighting games, metroidvanians, and gacha shit

>> No.10309501

>>10309426
The only board I use on this website is /vr/. I don't play modern garbage. Stop coping.

>> No.10309502

>>10308830
Emoji, Zoomlish, and Ebonics aren't real languages

>> No.10309538

Imagine seething because someone learned a language.

>> No.10309558

>>10309501
That makes sense. You might want to take a look at the other boards instead of dumping every inane thought you have into this one without regard for its purpose.

>> No.10309562

>>10307858
Linda Cube is ridiculously good, although I've only played the Saturn version. I wish I was able to focus more time on playing untranslated titles, pretty much every one I've picked up has been a winner.

>> No.10309614

>>10309558
I only make threads about retro games. This thread is about how if you play retro games in Japanese you don't need uncensor patches.

>> No.10309826

>>10309562
I played the Saturn version and then went back and watched the PCE cutscenes. Both versions do different things well, there are some parts that are better in the remaster, and some parts I prefer in the original.

>> No.10309979

>>10309176
You will never be Japanese, and you will never have native fluency.

>> No.10310020

>>10307580
Off topic, but where are you getting Mishima's novels from? He and Kobo Abe are the only two major authors whose works (to my knowledge) are not available digitally.
Do you have physical books shipped over from Japan? What service do you use?

>> No.10310045

>>10310020
Zlib has a few Mishima novels, they're pdfs so I'm guessing they're just scans.

>> No.10310059

>>10310045
Thank you for pointing it out, I hadn't notice them. It's not a lot, and they are indeed pdf, but they still beat waiting 20 more years for the copyright to expire (fuck the TPP, by the way).

>> No.10310467

>>10308830
You don’t need to learn any language to play any megaman game you dumbass zoomer

>> No.10311790

>>10310467
but what if he wants to play a game other than megaman?

>> No.10312152

>>10308427
>>10310467
playing rockman is actually my main motivation for learning japanese. of course, i havent started learning yet, but thats besides the point. so i'm holding off on them for now (that and i suck and got filtered)

>> No.10312161

Should I learn to read or speak first?

>> No.10312189

>>10310467
The entire EXE and Star Force series are text-based RPGs, and 8, X4, the Legends series, and the ZX series all have voice acting which is infinitely better in Japanese.

>> No.10312193

>>10312161
Unless you're planning to talk to your video games, read.

>> No.10312256

>>10307441
>and butchered humour
Japanese humor is objectively fucking terrible.

>> No.10312482

>>10307427
I know some Japanese (not fluent but also not "only knows some stock anime phrases" either), but if I'm playing an old game for the first time I kinda wanna play in English first just so I can understand the terminology/inevitable memeshit aspects of it like quotes for discussion's sake.

But lately I have kind of tried to go back to some games I'm already familiar with but in Japanese this time, ex. Gen 1 Pokemon, and it was a pretty good experience. Especially since I practically had a lot of the early dialogue memorized so even if I didn't understand something perfectly, I still got the gist of what was being said. yeah obviously some stuff was changed in localization but those instances were pretty easy to recognize

>> No.10312490

>>10312256
actually filtered

>> No.10312535

>>10308867
Thank you

>> No.10312547

>>10307427
God, I can only weep at all the complex, fantastic writing I'm missing by not playing... Pokemon... in the original language. I kneel before the colossal artistic experience imparted unto you, Weeb-sama.

>> No.10312565

>>10307427
>>10307441
Can't imagine learning japanese to play Japanese RPGs that are aren't even on par with juvenile fiction. Non rpgs dont need knowledge of the language.

>> No.10312570

>>10309826
I started the PCE version but never finished it. The animal designs are possibly even more nightmarish, it's great. I still need to play through Scenario C of Kanzenban again to completion, the first time I played I missed Finding Ken's adopted father as a hologram-God in Under-Eden as well as the island which is actually a whale and I'm starting to wonder what else I missed.

>> No.10312578

>>10312565
>appraising writing without reading it
Just like the bible!

>> No.10312605

>>10312570
>Finding Ken's adopted father as a hologram-God in Under-Eden
Man, how do you miss that? I guess it's not critical to the story anyway, it just fills in a bit of the background. The whale is a tricky one, only real way to notice it is to check the map, I cheated because finding enough animals is hard.

>> No.10312621

>>10312605
I think I got fucked by the ADHD raptors around there and got lost. I played the other Scenarios to completion again but not Scenario C. I also forgot how to get into the electricity generating catfish pond in Ozport somehow.

>> No.10312675

>>10312482
>I kinda wanna play in English first just so I can understand the terminology/inevitable memeshit aspects of it like quotes for discussion's sake.
You're not supposed to say the quiet part out loud, tryingtoohardtofitinanon

>> No.10312859

>>10312621
What game are you guys talking about?

>> No.10313041

>>10312859
You can't follow a post chain, buddy?

>> No.10313057
File: 494 KB, 3840x2160, 451345tgafdgadfgarharey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10308643
>It's interesting to see how many so-called fluent japmasters are nothing short of arrogant cunts. I've never seen a humble person, ever.
And yet EOPs consistently read their trannylations and even beg for them. An odd spectacle really.

>> No.10313170

>>10307441
>>10307447
How does one start learning nip? The alphabet first of course but

>> No.10313174

>>10308643
They even hate each other.
>Whoa, these fan translation are bad, my perspective on the language is far more accurate!

>> No.10313206

>>10313174
Reading something and translating something are two different skills, believe it or not. I am a complete dogshit translator and I've been playing games in Japanese for a decade now.

>> No.10313294

>>10313170
>>>/jp/44882454

>> No.10313493

>>10313057
And worship the ground their furry tails drags on and the rest.
Minor critique. "trannylations" It's awkward. I'd suggest "trannieslations" Just flows off the tongue better. And when you have no functioning sexual organs the tongue is all you got. Also it's inclusive. Even of those bigoted bi-sexual/ two-spirt assholes who don't accept that there are >9k genders. Let's do our best to be friends and allies to these totally sane people.

>> No.10313737
File: 92 KB, 500x480, lindacube.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10312859
Pamela Square

>> No.10313804

>the schizo boomer "subhuman EOPs" guy is back
Who let him out of his padded cell? The fetishization of Japan is as pathetic as it was the last time I saw him in a thread. Go back to 5ch or Twitter or whatever so you can discuss games with retarded Japs that are too scared to emulate anything because they'll get prison time lmao.

>> No.10313856

>>10307563
You get a vague sense after a few months of reading, and it continues to become clearer and clearer over the course of your first few years.
Bad writing tends to stick out regardless of your skill level as a reader.
The better you are at reading the more you get out of very good writing, but even when my ability was limited I would still get that same tingly happy sensation of enjoyment I got from reading good writing in English, just subdued.
If anything it was more fun because of the deep sense of accomplishment I got from teaching myself a language.

>> No.10313864

>>10307959
Localizations = fan fiction

THERE I SAID IT.

A.I. replacing these jobs can't come soon enough!

--

However another theoretical emerges. Is there a single piece of Japanese only media whose entertainment value is equal to the ardour spent studying? Like can even a single piece of Japanese media be more entertaining than Lethal Weapon 3? A lot of stuff that airs on Japanese TV is especially bad and in terms of books many Japanese authors are barely literate.

And somehow you all would argue that the story present in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest could be compelling rather than just starch designed to push the players between towns?

In the future there will be an injection that grants you mastery of the Japanese language with the side effect of pledging one's loyalty to the Emperor.

>> No.10313881

>>10308427
You learned how to be white just to steal what's the difference? Why work when you can just force others to do it for you all while being protected by white people laws.

>> No.10313895

>>10309479
Actually, the west created fighting games and metroidvanias, and Japs made first person shooters and PnCs. Not that the Japs ever did anything of value with them.
>>10313856
This anon has it all right. You don't need to be a Japanese master to figure out that "nevertheless, you know the thing, anyway..." isn't great writing. Not all Japanese games are secret masterpieces.

>> No.10313916

>>10307837
It is possible to make a really good, complete translation that maintains all of the details and subtleties of the original.
The issue is that to accomplish this you would need constant translator's notes. And the type of person who cares enough about a story to read 1,500 translator's notes cares enough to learn the language. Either they have learned it, they are learning it, or they will learn it. Making a translation for that type of person is a huge waste of time.
So the translations that are made are made for people who don't really care and just want the gist. By that standard, the translations we get are fine.
The only issue is that we get people who play some atrocious translation (like the Dragon Quest 4 one that took out two thirds of the game's script and changed the rest) and think that they've played a good translation and understand the story and act like experts on the subject.
As long as people acknowledge that the translations are flawed and don't act like they're equivalent to the original there's no problem. The people who care learn the language, the ones who don't are free to enjoy their Cliff's Notes version.

>> No.10313950

>>10308643
Try not to pay too much mind to it, I think the "unbridled arrogance" is just a natural phase of learning the language.
Going from being limited by what translations are available to being limited by absolutely nothing at all is an intoxicating amount of power for a dedicated reader.

>> No.10313992

>>10308867
How do you know this?
If you can't read Japanese, you don't know what Japanese characters are really like.
There are plenty of terrible Japanese authors who are just as bad as you describe, but I've personally read hundreds who write interesting, unique characters. I'm sure there are many thousands I haven't read from yet.
Good writing isn't exclusive to one culture. Good writing surpasses culture and speaks to the human condition. You don't need to know why putting a vase of flowers on a school desk is considered to be horrifically cruel in Japan to be moved by a story about bullying.

>> No.10313998

>>10313170
I recommend starting with a kana drag-and-drop program.
Type kana drag-and-drop into a search engine and you should find a few.

>> No.10314002

>>10313294
Thanks?

>> No.10314051

>>10313170
Get some basic grammar down with Cure Dolly or Tae Kim or whatever works for you then start consuming content in Japanese and keep looking everything up with jisho.org or whatever sources work for you and make flashcards with Anki using the first instance you encounter a new kanji or word in and study those forever.

>> No.10314103

>>10307427
i gave up learning a language because i have no interest in actually speaking it, i just want to know what games say. i only want to recieve, not transmit.

>> No.10314176

>>10314103
You don't have to learn to speak it. I can read pretty much fluently but my speaking skills are garbage. I've never even been to Japan either. It's like the opposite of being illiterate, I guess.

>> No.10314179

>>10307427
I play actually good American games instead of shitty Japanese number games. So I don't have to learn runes. LoL!

>> No.10314249

>>10314103
If you learn to read Japanese that doesn't mean you know how to speak it, and it's true the other way around as well.

>> No.10314258

>>10307427
How do I learn nip?

>> No.10314271

>>10314249
There are answers in this thread already but here's another one: If you really want to do something, try many things until you find a way that works for you and pursue it until you have done that thing. Your biggest obstacle is always going to be yourself.

>> No.10314380
File: 149 KB, 1024x1024, OIG (53).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10307427
Are you the anon who shits up every fan translation thread because he thinks he can validate the time and energy he wasted learning a useless language by tricking others into doing the same?

>> No.10314415
File: 41 KB, 548x336, 1431798106264.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10314380
i love my seegan controller

>> No.10314420

>>10314258
There are a some good answers above and below your post, but in general you just read books and play games in Japanese, looking up all the words you don't know yet in an electronic dictionary.
The electronic dictionary I use is Aedict, which is free.

>> No.10314474

>>10307427
>Japanese anything

>> No.10314486

>>10313206
This kind of self-reflective honesty might make you a good translator if you hone your skills.

>> No.10314494

>>10309412
N was right. BW's ending is sad. You're not the hero, you just beat your morality into N's head. At least you helped him get away from Ghetsis though

>> No.10314539

>>10313864
idk if there's a single one, but i like reading old vidya mags. reading japanese dev interviews that aren't and probably never will be translated is really rewarding to me. so many details and tidbits you wouldn't find otherwise.

>> No.10314576

>>10313864
Probably depends on how much you enjoy certain genres like classic JRPGs or VNs where a huge number of games haven't hit the West. There's also the fact that certain games have horrible translations like Shining Force 1 and if it's your favorite game it could be worth it to play through the game in Japanese.

>> No.10314873

>>10314420
Thanks anon. Would it be best to play Japanese games with voice overs? Like MGS.

>> No.10314984

>>10314873
MGS isn't a great choice for a first game given the general complexity of the dialogue. Honestly, voice overs are overrated, and there aren't that many interesting games with voice acting and simple dialogue. DQXIS is partially voice acted and pretty simple dialogue wise.

>> No.10315085

>>10314474
...he says condescendingly, before going back to play mario world on his "snezz"

>> No.10315195

>>10313916
>It is possible to make a really good, complete translation that maintains all of the details and subtleties of the original
No it's not. With how different the two languages are, many concepts literally can't be translated. And it's especially impossible with retro games due to the character limits that the English versions are bound to.

Not going to both reading the rest of wht you wrote.

>> No.10315234

>>10313864
>A.I. replacing these jobs can't come soon enough!
my friend, AI translations are still going to be fanfiction because the powerful ones will be trained on localizations

>> No.10315331
File: 2.01 MB, 3584x2016, IMG_20220526_222201.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished Devil Summoner on the PSP, rec me some new jap games to improve.
Planning onto playing Twilight Syndrome or replaying Grandia in jap.

>> No.10315716

Niggas here treating videogames as if they are classical literature lmao, you won't get some deeper meaning out of them just because you played in Japanese. It"s just a game, my nigga.

>> No.10315731

>>10315716
These are the same people who will say that panzer dragoon saga is not janky af.

>> No.10315784

>>10307843
You are a lazy low iq moron.

>> No.10316520
File: 922 KB, 1024x875, 296012_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10314873
Most people start out with visual novels for the voices. It's much easier to look up a word you don't know if you hear it pronounced.
If you're looking for a good starter game, try the EMIT trilogy by Koei. It's a visual novel about a cute girl going on a science fiction adventure. It's very short, about 90 minutes for the whole trilogy.
It was made to be used as a teaching aide for English classes in Japan, so the whole game is fully voiced in both English and Japanese. You can play through it in English first, then go back through in Japanese, looking up words as you go.
I'm a big fan personally. I played it over a dozen times when I was starting out. Learned a lot.

After that, maybe try an easy dating sim like Love Plus, or just jump into a visual novel you're passionate about.

>> No.10316528
File: 135 KB, 1242x1802, Tenjouin cowboy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10315331
The Yu-Gi-Oh Tag Force games have full furigana.
Reading the cards is great grammar practice. It's really fun puzzling out the twisted spaghetti of a complicated effect text and then watching it play out it a duel.

>> No.10316538

>>10316528
nta but any other /vr/ games with furigana?

>> No.10316564

>>10309205
>>10315784
Why you try so hard on Playing on Japanese those Texts in Pokemon they dont say anything relevant anyways

>> No.10316649
File: 111 KB, 800x900, 1669729173213287.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10314258
>How do I learn nip?
Follow the djt guide https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/

>> No.10316658

On /v/ I've seen lively arguments about the proper translation for しかたがない and しょうがいない several times over with seemingly many participants. Not once did someone mentioned Vてしょうがいない or Vてしかたがない and I think that is very telling...

>> No.10316672
File: 1.12 MB, 1280x2299, 1667635926835.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10313170
>How does one start learning nip? The alphabet first of course but
https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/blog/table-of-contents

>> No.10316684
File: 102 KB, 256x384, 03429.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10316538
There aren't many; I know the Professor Layton games got Japan-exclusive remakes that added furigana. Look for the versions with フレンドリー版 in the title. All versions of the third game have furigana. I'll warn you that the word puzzles can be frustrating if you're new.
If you're looking for a good retro experience with furigana my honest recommendation would be to play a game like Dr. Mario that has very little text in the game, and get a copy of the Japanese manual and read that as you play. Most old Japanese game manuals have complete furigana. Check it out:
https://somerussianmariodude.blogspot.com/2015/01/famicom-game-manuals-14-drmario.html

>> No.10316692

>learns another langauge
>uses it to play seiken 2 and pokemon black
the absolute state of /vr. at least play something like segagaga or yuuyami doori. all the adv games with quality nuance that are never picked up in a fan patch or even get a thread about them. nope. we need to play only nintendo games and boiler plate rpgs.

>> No.10316702

>>10312490
japanesehumor.webm

>> No.10316713

>>10307427
I am Japanese but learned Wnglish so I can laugh at western baka gaijin on 4chan

>> No.10316716
File: 65 KB, 779x1044, IMG_3598.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10307427
I know what those scribbles sound like, but fuck if i know what they mean.

>> No.10316720

>>10307428
>you learned a skill inorder to waste time while i just wasted time

>> No.10316940

>>10316716
https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?search="そんなに"
https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?search="きれい"
https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?search="な"
https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?search="ねいろ"
https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?search="は"
https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?search="きいた"
https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?search="こと"
https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?search="が"
https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?search="ありません"

>> No.10317336

>>10316692
I've already played Segagaga. Never heard of the other.

>> No.10317486

>>10316520
Visual novels are weird for beginners.

Children's manga have furigana and children's games usually seperate words, so I'd recommend he start there.

>> No.10319619

>>10307427
Are you just a kanji master or what? In the past, I've heard people on /h/ talk about how they took several Japanese courses in college and still couldn't read most eroge

>> No.10319645

>>10309093
Dudes brain is literally so smooth he can't believe that anyone else is capable of learning a language

>> No.10319650

>>10319645
Just ignore the dekinais. They can't comprehend how languages are learned.
>>10319619
You learn kanji by learning vocab that contain those kanji.
Don't take advice from anyone who took college courses, I know several people with university degrees in Japanese studies and they can't hold a conversation or read books written for children.

>> No.10320468
File: 43 KB, 512x384, 67F8ABE8-A1F3-4024-B48D-471858983AF5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10307427
Can’t wait until I make enough progress so that I can finally casually play through a Dragon Quest game without having to deal with these retarded fucking accents

>> No.10320476

>>10316702
>>10316713
>>10316716
>>10316720
>>10316940
>>10319619
>>10319645
>>10319650
Glad to see this on topic retro video games thread about my favourite retro game (the Japanese language) is still up.

>> No.10320926

>>10314420
>I use is Aedict, which is free
Using jp->jp dicts like weblio and goo or their EPWING equivalents. Gets you less of the dumb westerner-infused shit.
Aedict for example will tell you that one of the meanings of Okama is pre-op tranny when the JP dicts have no such definition. (this would only fit in the vague sense of them all being labeled sodomists who badly imitate women)
Jisho is even worse about this, all en->jp dicts suffer from this nonsense for some reason.

>> No.10321054

>>10307427
You are telling me you replayed games you hated in Japanese?

I think you are just a larping nigger.

>> No.10321058

>>10320468
You could also just play the NES versions.

Which are also the better versions.

>> No.10321090

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61pl_FFD4dY
PEAK JAPANESE HUMOR

>> No.10321179

>>10320926
This right here. If you use a jp->eng dictionary you are at a painfully low level.

>> No.10321304

>>10313881
No God loving white man would suck themselves into learning to speak Gook. Kill yourself

>> No.10321369

>>10321304
aww where the the scawy japanese man touch you?

>> No.10321509

Sage

>> No.10322325

lmao, this thread really made the tendies shit their diapers in rage huh

>> No.10323041

>>10322325
>this thread where the man learns Japanese to play Nintendo games made the Nintendo fans angry
Are you retarded?

>> No.10323046

>>10323041
Yes.

>> No.10323209

>>10323046
Fair enough

>> No.10325007

this wouldn't work if you never played a pokemon game before
>be me
>buy pokemon green as a kid
>get stuck because I had no idea where the fuck to go after I got to snorlax
>only reason I got to snorlax in the first place was because I had blue before green
>wanted to try japanese game because i got it for only $10
needless to say I returned that shit because I was a dumb kid and didn't realize that one day it would be worth money, point is though if you don't read in games like pokemon you will get stuck and not know wtf to do.

>> No.10325118

>>10325007
have you considered that op understands enough japanese to get through a pokemon game?

>> No.10325305

>>10308442
Not gonna lie, I've recently played a game with a local dub just because it felt really darn nostalgic.

>> No.10325420
File: 33 KB, 680x763, gigachad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10321090
That was very funny anon, Japanese humor seems to be awesome.

>> No.10325475

>>10307428
In the time it took you to play games and enjoy them for what they are I fucked your mom and enjoyed her for leaving your dad so early

>> No.10325479

>>10325118
Can confirm. Am OP, made it to the top of シロガネ山 (Mt Silver) last week.>>10325007
You're a retard.

>> No.10326456

>>10325007
I played Green in Japanese and made it all the way to SS Anne, then got stuck giving the captain massages over and over. Years later I realized my bag was full so he couldn't give me the HM.

>> No.10326482

>>10326456
Dekinai moment

>> No.10326528

>>10320926
I recommend Aedict because it's fast and works without an internet connection. It's ideal for a very new learner who's just memorized the kana and is arming themselves for reading their first texts.
At that skill level the biggest obstacle is the sheer quantity of terms they have to look up- often as many as ten in a sentence. This type of learner will be more stymied by a slow dictionary than an imprecise one.
As they improve I expect them to gradually transition into using more accurate dictionaries like goo.
I still use Aedict heavily myself, as it's very convenient for general usage despite its flaws. And using multiple dictionaries is preferable to relying on just one.

>>10321054
You'd be surprised; once you realize how different a game can be when played in the original language, it's tempting to give everything a second chance.
I've been playing recently Utawarerumono and the difference is staggering. If the original is kicking your feet in a river under the shade of a tall oak tree, the translation I read back in the day is crawling in a barren dry empty scorching desert.
I believe it's been retranslated a few times since, but no matter how good a translation is, nothing compares to experiencing the real thing for yourself.

>> No.10326812

>>10307427
How did you learned nihongo?

>> No.10326818

>>10309327
>Bilingual
Only two? LMAO, everyone in my country is trilingual by default. Step up baka

>> No.10326941

>>10307808
There was actually a partial fan translation before the commercial release of Black/White and even that I remember being substantially better, not surprised to hear this.

>> No.10326974

>>10316672
I think the version I saw had non-vtuber pictures on it and linked to itazuraneko, but seeing this image posted on /v/ almost exactly four years ago (middle of October, 2019) got me to start learning Japanese and I've stuck with it since.

I'm still shit at the language though.

>> No.10326991

>>10316538
I think all the PS2 Wild Arms games have furigana but 3 and AC:F definitely do.