[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 83 KB, 256x358, Zelda_II_The_Adventure_of_Link_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1029802 No.1029802 [Reply] [Original]

So I've been getting into this game, and I like it a lot, but damn it's hard. The enemies that can throw things like boomerangs can be a real pain. And often just avoiding/killing stuff can be hard. I love the combat with the knights though.

Thoughts on Zelda 2? Have you ever beaten it?

>> No.1029807

just played and beat it for first time OP. How far are you? I had to grind 2 or 3 levels to make it through Death Valley, but after that I had no problems until the final dungeon.

>> No.1029836

>>1029807

Only just beat the second dungeon. I know most people probably still consider that the easy part.

>> No.1029854

explore everywhere

a stretch of forest may not just be a stretch of forest... find the point bags, 1ups, heart and magic containers, and grind...

>> No.1029867

>Thoughts on Zelda 2?
Fun but it can be punishingly difficult, especially when compared to the first game. I think it's hated undeservedly; when this came out I thought it was the best thing ever, despite the grindy-ness.

Right now I've got a friend who comes over sometimes to play it. He's terrible at it, but loves it anyway.

>Have you ever beaten it?
Once. I really should play it again.

>> No.1029873

>>1029836
once you get the down thrust game gets so much easier. Keep on keeping on until then

>> No.1029874

Question: do you ever need a walkthrough for this game? I know it's obviously not REQUIRED because lots of people have beaten it without. But, reasonably are there some parts that are stupidly cryptic without a guide?

>> No.1029882

>>1029874
Death Mountain is tough if you don't know where to go, but not impossible

Otherwise it's actually pretty obvious what to do next...go to town, someone in town has an issue, solve this issue, and move on. Talk to people and look everywhere and you should be able to figure things out.

>> No.1029894
File: 1015 B, 29x31, Orange_Daira_(The_Adventure_of_Link).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029882
Fucking death mountain and fucking Axe-wielding Dairas

I'm stuck there...

>> No.1029908

I've beaten it twice in an emulator. I've been working on beating it on a NES, but it's kinda rage-inducing when I've just beaten a dungeon and the game freezes.

>> No.1029919

>>1029894
If you get a red magic bottle (the kind that completely refills your MP) you can "cheat" its effect a little by casting a spell while it's filling your MP bars--your MP will still fill all the way, or close to all the way in spite of the spell.

So, knowing this, if you come across one, cast jump and shield while your MP is refilling to give you a bit of an advantage til you leave the screen. If you have life, cast that too.

Also in the dungeons the darknut statue outside usually has a red magic bottle if you hit its head...very rarely it will come to life.

>> No.1029958

the combat in this game is pretty intense.

>> No.1030094

I was never able to get into this game, because I found it too difficult. I thought it was a game where, if you were good enough you could pretty much avoid anything, but I found the combat awkward. It's always tough to get a good angle on your attacks or dodge enemies. The floating skulls, the darknuts, etc. It often feels like you're just at a disadvantage, controls-wise.

Maybe I just suck....But I was never able to get the hang of it. I always felt like I was disadvantaged from the start.

>> No.1030097

>>1029802
beat it. grinding helps, but that last goddamn temple is a trial, especially if you don't have a map

>> No.1030123

When I was in high school I got all the way to Death Valley with only one game over.
On TLoZ collector's edition
On the fucking Gamecube
I used
The shitty-ass
Gamecube-Style NES controls
And got all the way to Death Valley
I haven't played it since, but fuck me I'm still proud.

>> No.1030129

>>1029894
If you don't know where to go, always try the path that goes to the right. You can only go down? Go down. You can only go left? Go left. If it's the Dairas being hard, timing and spells are your friends.

>> No.1030134

>>1029802

I've made it my personal mission to try to conquer this game. Best I've gotten is getting through the game dying only once. It's kinda funny when you get to the end and you have like 8 lives, lol (note: you get an extra life for beating dungeons, it's just not advertised).

A few tips:

--Learn how to beat the knights early. The trick is to run up to them, duck while jumping and strike their shield as you are coming down. Time it right and the sword will hit both high and low, rendering their shield meaningless. This tactic also works for the lizard's with shields in the last hemisphere of the game.

--All the dungeon bosses (save for Thunderbird) are easy, just be patient and don't rush.

--When you beat a dungeon do NOT put the crystal in the statue. Walk back out and leave through the entrance. Since you get a free level, it's best to save them until the end of the game (when your level average is 6 or so), since they are worth more then.

--Death Mountain: General rule of thumb for not getting lost, always go right or down when facing an intersection of caves. Also, for the axe lizards, the orange ones are easy, just get into a rhythm of doing that duck/jump/slash technique for the knights I mentioned earlier. Do it right and you'll slash them perfectly between his swings. Red guys are harder, but they don't throw as fast, so when he's about to throw, just stop to jump over it. Be patient.

--The last area before the great palace isn't too bad, just make sure to not rush and take out EVERY eyeball you see before attempting any jumps. Again, patience.

Cont:

>> No.1030136

Continued from >>1030134

--Great Palace cheat sheet: When you go down an elevator and you can only go left or right, use this order: left, right, right, left, or LRRL. That means, at the first elevator that gives you a choice (right at the beginning actually), take the left path and keep going. When you hit the second elevator, go right. There is one place where you can go right, left, and down: just go down (right leads to a dead end with a fairy, left to a dead end with an extra life).

--Thunderbird is a bitch, but make sure you have full magic so you can cast shield, jump, AND reflect after Thunder. Little known fact; reflect makes his fireballs bounce of your shield making this fight MUCH easier.

It's not an easy game, but completing it and getting better at it is very rewarding.

Good Luck!

>> No.1030147

>>1030134
>>1030136

awesome posts man

>> No.1030157
File: 3 KB, 256x224, zelda2_xpshare2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pay attention to your experience points before you finish a level. Whenever you put the stone in the statue at the end (or whatever) it will automatically level you up. It is a shame to waste those if you are only 100 or so points away. In fact, sometimes I will save them for later. 9000 exp is easy when it only takes a few mins to go back through a palace.

Iron Knuckles are easy if you jump at them.

>> No.1030162

i always heard it was best to level up everything before death mountain

>> No.1030165

>>1030134
->When you beat a dungeon do NOT put the crystal in the statue. Walk back out and leave through the entrance. Since you get a free level, it's best to save them until the end of the game (when your level average is 6 or so), since they are worth more then.

Sneaky, I didn't know the game would let you do that.

I used to game the exp by intentionally timing my level-ups just before the bosses, then getting "expensive" level-ups from the statues. That already made the grind significantly less, but this sounds very promising.

I just wonder whether the extra time I'd now spend leveling early on is really less than the time I'm saving later on. It's been too long since I've played the game to really make a good estimate; guess I'll have to rectify that.

>> No.1030172

>>1030165

>>1030134 here.

I usually power level the shit out the first dungeon, taking myself to a lvl 4 average before beating horse head. Then just keep going, fighting everything you encounter to not waste XP, until you hit just over lvl 6 average, then go back and start putting the crystals in the statues.

>> No.1030175

>>1030172

Oh and that one death was at end of the fucking game, I think it was Thunderbird itself, b/c I ran out of magic and couldn't cast Thunder.....bleh. I'll get that perfect playthrough yet.

>> No.1030195
File: 50 KB, 320x230, Zelda_II-The_Adventures_of_Link[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1030134
>The last area before the great palace isn't too bad, just make sure to not rush and take out EVERY eyeball you see before attempting any jumps. Again, patience.

This is kind of cheap, but you skip those areas. If you time it right, run into one of the random monsters just as you are stepping on to that tile. You'll have to go through the monster fight, but they are easier.

>> No.1030196

>>1030172
Sounds like a plan.

>> No.1030207

There are few games in my life that I've felt the same level of satisfaction upon their completion. Game is hard as balls, though. No question about that.

>> No.1030247

>>1030195
Until you get far enough for there to be no way for you to do that.
yay

>> No.1030406
File: 46 KB, 398x353, 1369652044573.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029894

>> No.1030420

I loved dis game

Unfortunately my copy has seen better days.. the Key in the first palace simply does not show up

>> No.1030421

>>1029874

I think so, finding bagu, getting the thunder spell and the fuckery with dropping through the floor in the last dungeons stomped the shit out of me

>> No.1030449
File: 278 KB, 950x763, 1341517749832.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For nearly 15 years this game was my master. Every time I tried to beat it, I was instead beaten mercilessly into submission. I always loved the game though, how complex the combat got, the leveling system, the magic, everything. But two months ago my friend and I decided we were finally going to conquer Zelda II, and for two weeks we put our collective skills to the test, trading off each time one of us died. It was great, we would curse and yell, we would shout for joy at our small victories, laugh at the brutally insane difficulty, all the while we got better and better. We even did a two-man cartography mission to map out the Thunderbird temple with paper and pencil. And when we finally beat the game, I can honestly say I've never felt such an intense feeling of victory from a videogame before. (Admittedly, we straight-up could not beat Dark Link, so we used the crouch cheat, but that's not the point.)

The point is, the game is so face-meltingly hard it's almost stupid at times, but every single challenge is possible to overcome without injury, it's up to the player to adapt to the game. You really don't see that these days, save for glimmers of hope like Demons's and Dark Souls.

Also, this game has my favorite music out of any Zelda. The way the final song reminds you of the beginning, yet tells you that your victory over Gannon is a final one, is amazing. God damn this game is so good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vez-Q_Eo57I

>> No.1030898

>>1029919
>darknut
Iron Knuckle.

>> No.1031120

>>1030094
Combat in this game is pretty awkward, yeah. Link's simultaneously too stiff (attacking) AND too slippery (actually moving around). It takes a lot to get used to.

>> No.1031663

>>1030449

that fucking amazing art

>> No.1031686

I gave up on the second palace after getting 5 game overs.

I just stared at the continue screen before realizing "man, fuck this game".

Im not walking all that distance AGAIN

>> No.1031691

>>1029802
>Have you ever beaten it?
Yes, It is great.

>> No.1031697

>>1031686
What on earth keeps killing you?

>> No.1031714

Your hammer can clear forests, not just break rocks.

That'll help when you want to find where they moved the town of Kasuto.

>> No.1031716

>>1031697
The armored knights

>> No.1031725

>>1031716
Jump and hit them on their head as you land. I hated that part as well, fuck the swamp that is just there to make backtracking longer.

>> No.1031737

>>1031716

once you know the trick to beating iron knuckles the game gets significantly easier.

>> No.1031756

the last streatch of the game and the shield knights are the only difficult parts

all the other enemies have some trick that lets you easily kill them

navigating the dungeons is just about doing it in a sequential order instead of wandering around randomly

talk the villagers they have hints for all of the really tough puzzles

save your jewels for later when leveling is more difficult

dont be afraid to skip a dungeon thats too hard once you get its treasure

always fully explore the overworld before going into a new dungeon

making a map is required for the final dungeon

>> No.1031760

>>1031756
you can skip hard enemies with the jump spell, down slashing over their head or the fairy spell

whenever you get a magic refilling item quickly cast heal while its refilling (the item refills 8 bars even if you only have a max of 4)

the shield knights are bad blocking running jumps

the shield knights are vunerable right before they attack

statues in dungeons may contain items if attacked

develop a route to the boss that takes you through the least rooms

>> No.1031767

>>1030449

I love stories like this. It's great when you finally overcome something that's a bitch. It really feels like you live up to the LEGEND and really persevered and are a true hero. Games today even Zelda games don't give me that feeling.

Funny you mention Dark Souls...In a way, I sort of see Adventure of Link as the 2D dark souls.

>> No.1031867

>>1031756
>map required for final dungeon.

Nope. See >>1030136

>> No.1031872

I'll never be able to pin down why exactly, but Zelda 2 is my favorite in the entire series.

>>1029836
No way, Death Mountain is definitely the hardest for me

>> No.1032324

>>1029854
>explore everywhere
Eh, exploring everywhere may help him to grind up XP, being at an appropriate level takes 50% of the difficulty away, 40% of the difficulty is removed by having the right equipment/abilities to deal with stuff and using them appropriately (usually tossing on shield at least helps). The health and magic containers help, but there's only four each, so really then just give you a little bit of buffer room.
1ups are only good if you never use continues and have trouble getting through an area on a single continue. Point bags are just reducing grinding. Leveling is the most significant factor in the game.

>> No.1032345

This game always felt kind of empty to me. I guess it's because a lot of the townsfolk just say "hello!" or "I know nothing" so it hardly even seems like the towns have people in them.

>> No.1032552

>>1029802
As far as I am concerned, Zelda II is the only canon Zelda game. All others are smoke and ash; shadows and dust.