[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 255 KB, 640x480, wpostr2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1029501 No.1029501 [Reply] [Original]

I can't speak for everyone here, but I think it's fair to say that the primary demographic of this board is probably 25-35 years old.

I just want to know, as a 28 year old, when things "peaked" in your perspective.

>how old are you?
>when was your "golden age of gaming"?
>what was your favorite console?
>what were your top-5 games on your favorite console?
>what game gives you the deepest feeling of nostalgia?
>what game did you have the most fun playing with your friends?
>what was your top "feel" moment?
>at what moment did you finally realize that gaming just wasn't what it used to be (dat "aha" moment)?

>> No.1029532

OP samefagging, whatever.

>how old are you?
1990-1996
SNES
1-FFVI
2-Chrono Trigger
3-Secret of Mana
4-Breath of Fire I/II
5-Link to the Past
Probably Chrono Trigger or Links Awakening (on GB)
Super Bomberman w/multitap
Opera scene, FF VI
>at what moment did you finally realize that gaming just wasn't what it used to be (dat "aha" moment)?
Years later, after finishing FFX. That was the end of passionate gaming for me, with a mini-renaissance during Mass Effect.

>> No.1029547
File: 166 KB, 1000x800, 1376794799266.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>27
>during the genesis/snes era... Ewj, vectorman and everything capcom was charming as fuck
>I´d say the snes, since it´s /vr/ related, but from all time probably the gamecube
>Judge Dredd, Alien 3, DKC, Chrono Trigger, Megaman x 2
>Megaman x 2 and Megaman 2 respectively.. Megaman 2 was the first Megaman I ever owned and X2 was my first X game and one of the last gifts my grampa ever gave me.
>Smash Bros and Goldeneye
>Skies of arcadia is Feels on a Disc, specially towards the end. It is the only game i never wanted to beat.
>The whole feminist thing right now is probably the most "jumped the shark" thing I´ve ever seen on the videogame industry ever.
that covers it

>> No.1029549

>how old are you?
ps1
ps1
Quake
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

>> No.1029558
File: 363 KB, 872x702, 1377236226735.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029532
>Breath of fire I & II
My nigga

>> No.1029563

>>1029549
Favourite games?

>> No.1029565

>how old are you?
Despite not being alive for a few of those years, I'd say something like '88-'99. I know that's a long time frame, but I feel like all throughout those years, developers were making fresh, unique experiences whilst simultaneously perfecting the platformer and shmup genres. I really feel like fifth gen was spectacular because the extra dimension had no set formulae so devs were trying and testing what could and should be done. By sixth gen, though. there are very set ideas of what genre is what.
Tough choice, but I'd probably say SNES
Super Metroid, Super Bomberman, Kirby's Dream Land 3, UN Squadron, and if All-Stars + World doesn't count, Star Fox.
Star Fox 64
A retro game? Taking turns with XEXYZ
Any game? MELEEEEEE
"Don't EVER give up, my son"
I was late to the sixth gen (a whole gen late actually), but one time I was at my cousin's house and he was playing Halo and it just looked REALLY BORING and he was talking about how great it was. He didn't even know what Descent, Dukem, or Doom were and he wasn't willing to give them a try, either.

I know I'm a little young. For me old games aren't very nostalgic, I only really started building my collection over the past few years. I just... new games aren't nearly as captivating.

>> No.1029569

>how old are you?

1990-1996

SNES

1 - Mario World
2 - FF 4 or 2, what ever.
3 - Super punch out
4 - Shadowgate
5 - Link 2 Past

Super Punch Out since it was the first arcade game I watched my older brother play when I was an even younger kid.

Bond on 64

FF7, Aeris death.

When I found 4Chan.

>> No.1029572

>>1029549
>>1029565
>19
Tired of the shitposting on /v/ eh?

>> No.1029582

>>1029572
yes.

>> No.1029591 [DELETED] 

>17
>pretty much all retro games
>n64, though there are some amazing looking 70's and very early 80's consoles
>ugh, that's hard. In no order they are Doom64, Hybrid Heaven, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Snap (probably my favourite, love it)
>Pokemon. Anything Pokemon, or Ocarina of Time, picked it up when i was in fourth grade.
>I rarely play with my friends, few IRL friends and only one likes retro games.
>Saying goodbye to Saria in OoT
>after i started getting into retro gaming, about two months ago

>> No.1029598

>>1029572
Hey man, that's rude, only a faggot would ever go to /v/.

>> No.1029632

>how old are you?
Super Metroid and Sega Channel
Probably the Genesis
Sonic2
ToeJam & Earl
Gunstar Heroes
General Chaos
Revenge of Shinobi
Breaking the glass in Super Metroid
>(dat "aha" moment)?
Probably after the slow trickle of interesting games after the PS3 launch.

>> No.1029637

>how old are you?
Probably '85-'89, Silver Age '90-'93
Nintendo...the first one I had. From there I went to Sega Genesis, hence the mention of a "silver age."
Legend of Zelda
Mega Man 2
Castlevania 2
Final Fantasy
Legacy of the Wizard
Final Fantasy. I can still remember faking sick in order to stay home and play it.
Mortal Kombat on the Genesis.
Hmmm...probably the first time I beat Sonic the Hedgehog...I had been playing from the time I got home from school until well after midnight (having paused it for dinner). I definitely felt a sense of accomplishment after getting through Metropolis Zone.
Hmm...the PS1 was still magical for me...I loved SOTN, and played a lot of Dragon Warrior VII my last year of college. It was shortly after that, the early 2000s, when I found out about emulation and had a chance to play all those games i had heard about in GamePro and Nintendo Power. Partly because of my age, partly because I was suddenly "spoiled" and games lost their value a little, I began losing interest. I think it resurged in a "bronze age" in which I discovered all the SNES RPGs I had missed, but nothing really matched the feel of growing up with these games.

>> No.1029639

I hate these threads so I won't be participating, but for the love of Christ, do not let it devolve into age wars. For the sake of the board, please stay civil about this.

>> No.1029643

My golden age covers about the middle of the SNES' lifespan to the end of the N64.

My favorite console is the N64, but that's only because all my favorite games are on there. The Famicom is the best-looking console and the SNES was my favorite hardware-wise (here's to you, Super-FX)

1. Perfect Dark
2. Super Smash Bros.
3. Super Mario 64
4. Goldeneye
5. Mario Kart 64

I'd have to say SMW gives me that feeling of nostalgia. I think it's probably the best 2D platformer I've ever played, and definitely the best Mario game in general.

I always had the most fun playing Battletoads and Double Dragon on NES. No particular reason that I can think of, it's just a damn fun game.

I'm not sure what you mean by "feel moment", but I always tear up a bit at the opera scene in Final Fantasy VI (or III as it was called back then).

I don't get what everybody talks about with modern games somehow ruining gaming forever. The fact that Hock of Loogie is popular right now doesn't invalidate the other 90% of games that exist. Consoles are probably fucked but PCs still get sweet, sweet indie game love from Steam and GOG.com.

>> No.1029651
File: 106 KB, 1024x768, wipeout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029563
Quake 1/2
Tenchu Stealth Assassins
Breath of Fire IV
Final Fantasy VI
Diablo 1/2
Warcraft 2

>> No.1029660
File: 133 KB, 314x318, 1368782891189.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029639
>Nothing was mentioned before about an age being better than others
>STAHP DE AEG WARS
dude... what?

>> No.1029663

>>1029643
>indie
I want a team of 500 Asians making my game.

>> No.1029670

>>1029660

I said, "Don't let it devolve into age wars"

As in keep the pace it's at now. The last thread we had like this turned ugly.

>> No.1029679
File: 521 KB, 1000x600, secret_of_evermore_bug_fight_by_tonikop_high_desktop_1000x600_hd-wallpaper-815164.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I grew up "before my time," so my perspective is quite different than my peers.

>how old are you?
1988 - 2005 (I was born in 1992, but I played the hell out NES games while I was growing up.)
Super Nintendo
Secret of Evermore, Star Fox, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario: Legend of the Seven Stars, Prince of Persia.
Secret of Evermore
I didn't really play multi-player games until I was much older, and it's not /vr/, but Red Orchestra on the PC.
LAAAAAAAAAAAVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITZ!!!!!! (Legend of Dragoon)
Around the time the Xbox 360 came out. Games quickly stopped being about the challenge or the feeling of victory anymore, they were just motions that you went through. I haven't personally bought a new console or videogame since 2009.

>> No.1029685

>>1029670
Which is a fair request, but this is supposed to me a muh feels thread, rather than a vs thread. Thankfully this board has be remarkably free of shitposting, by 4chan standards, but I don't see how >>1029639 was necessary. Please, just don't post next time. Thanks.

>> No.1029693

>>1029679
>I grew up "before my time,"
Nothing wrong with being an old soul. Glad to have you.

>> No.1029698
File: 78 KB, 386x418, ngbbs488915dc8affc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My "golden age of gaming" for me personally was the late 90s, so I guess the N64 era. I had an original Game Boy that I played a lot in the mid 90s, but I was too young to really 'know' that era.

My favorite console at the time was the Nintendo 64.

1. Mario Kart 64
2. Yoshi's Story
3. Wave Race
4. Bomberman 64
5. Pilot Wings 64

I would have to say that Donkey Kong 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Bomberman 64 give me the deepest nostalgia.

My top "feel" moment had to be when my brother and I were incredibly close to finally being able to face King K. Rool on Donkey Kong 64, the anticipation I felt at the age of 7 was ridiculous as we made it to Hideout Helm.

For me, gaming stopped being what it once was around 2009, once (I personally think this), the Wii sort of started going downhill, and began released a shit ton of party games.

>> No.1029701

Twenty two.

Gaming peaked for me somewhere around 1998 and started to decline by the end of 2001. There are, however, a great number of excellent games outside of that period.

My favorite console is the PC.
1. Diablo 2
2. Quake 3
3. Baldur's Gate 2
4. Doom
5. Heroes of Might and Magic III

I played a lot of Doom and later Diablo when I was very young, and I have a lot of good memories of that. I also have hazier memories of Sonic 2. The thing is that I never really stopped playing these games so the nostalgia never really has a time to settle.

I probably had the most fun with Diablo 2, but Phantasy Star Online stands out as well. Melee, too.

I don't really have an answer about the feels. Maybe OoT, even though I only played through it for the first time four months ago.

I have felt that gaming has been going downhill for a very long time but Diablo 3 was a notable low point.

>> No.1029727
File: 215 KB, 498x380, 1359662217808.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029693
Thanks dude.

>> No.1029728

>>1029501
>my age
>golden age
~1998 for me. As a PC gamer. The rest of the 90's were good too, and it was pretty smooth sailing til around 2004. Then everything kinda started going downhill. I think it's getting better now, though communities are getting shittier.
>favorite console
SNES. What I played most on aside from PC.
>feel moment
Either exiting the prison ship in Unreal, or The cathedral in Thief maybe. Or Life of the Party in Thief... Or Loom. I dunno man.
>aha
XBOX 1. There were still some decent games coming out, but they mostly kept doing the same shit after Halo and CoD. Things got stale. Less innovation.

>> No.1029729

>>1029663
This

>> No.1029749

>how old are you?
1998ish -N64 console
Probably the N64 out of nostalgia, but NES was better
Smash Bros/Starfox 64/Banjo Kazooie/Conkers Bad Fur Day/Perfect Dark
Zelda 1 NES
Smash Bros
playing smash all summer long with friends before we were old enough to get jobs
When I played Halo 4 the week it came out, I realized there wasnt a single online multiplayer game that I enjoyed casually anymore.

>> No.1029752
File: 42 KB, 397x397, 1375479627287.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
1995-2001
Genesis
Starflight, Sonic 1, Mortal Kombat, Sonic CD, Flashback-Sub Terrania (tie)
Sonic 1
NBA Jam
The intro to Sonic CD
Battlefield 3, oh Christ why does that game exist

>> No.1029758
File: 304 KB, 800x700, 34974835_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
PS1-2
PS2 (library), now it is a tie between that and SNES.
I'll do this for SNES, PS2 feels wrong. Live A Live, Terranigma, Lufia 2, Super Castlevania 4, Earthbound.
Tomba
Implying I had friends
The end of Klonoa
Whatever generation PS3/360 is.

>> No.1029761

>>1029752
>Battlefield 3
damn nigga that moment came to you pretty late

>> No.1029774
File: 24 KB, 497x352, 1374881249862.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
I don't like that term. 2008 was when things started to go bad.
SNES or PSDouble
Don't know if I could really pick top 5 off the top of my head.
I don't know. Chrono Trigger, maybe Sunsoft's Batman.
Mario Kart 64
Ending of Earthbound, the sand slide in Journey.
Probably 2010, when I realized that Bayonetta was the first game I had fully enjoyed in three years.

>> No.1029792
File: 60 KB, 425x266, TurboGrafx-16_console.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
1988-1997
Turbografx-16
1. Rondo of Blood (imported, worth every penny)
2. Ys Book 1 & 2
3. Blazing Lazers
4. Bomberman '94 (Bomberman '93 back then)
5. Rayxander III (played recently, Bonk's Adventure otherwise)
Ys Book 1&2, that game just blew me away at the time. Almost made up for how starved the TG-CD was for releases...
Bomberman '93. 5-player multiplayer? Hell yes!
Playing Rondo for the first time. I already waited 2 years for it to come, but it never did...
The current generation.

>> No.1029810

>>1029501
Im 18. My favourite games sit mostly around 1989 to 2000, however, so lets leave it at that.
My favourite console is the N64, by a very small margin.
Top 5:
1-CBFD
2-Super mario 64
3- Paper mario
4-Majoras
5-Mischief Makers
>deepest feeling of nostalgia
SMW, and the N64 zeldas probably.
>most fun with friends
Smash bros, mario party.
>top "feel"
Most of the last year in Grim Fandango. Especially towards the end.
When I noticed I found most games released this generation to be forgettable, save for a handful of exceptions.

>> No.1029830

>>1029761

Games are awesome bro

>> No.1029837

>>1029792
>Ys Book 1 & 2
I was listening to that game's soundtrack a minute ago. Blew me away when I played it, even on 2013.

>> No.1029845
File: 47 KB, 800x600, 1371087900616.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?

I never got one. My family was and still is poor, so I grew up with a mishmash of things from the current time and stuff from the 90s/80s. My older brother had a Super Nintendo left over from when he was younger, and I played that a lot, and my family got a Gameboy advance that I played forever.. I would look up info on current and previous gen stuff on the internet, and fantasize, but I rarely got a chance to play one until I bought a gamecube when I was 13. As the only games I had played from that gen or up at that point were Melee and Soul Calibur 2, I got a copy of Melee. Because I had played as mewtwo at my friends house and he wasn't in the starting roster, I played as Samus because she had a basic B attack that was the same as mewtwos. That made me interested enough in the character to play Metroid Prime, which had come with the gamecube, and because of that I bought Metroid Fusion. That made me get Super Metroid, which opened the floodgate to retro games for me.

Gameboy Advance/Gameboy Color. As those games were more affordable, I played mostly these when I was younger. It helps that VBA works even on tech from 98.

Pokemon Saphire, Metroid Fusion, Loz: Oracle of Ages, Pokemon Gold, and Golden Sun. My tastes have expanded since then, however.

Links Awakening/Pokemon Gold. I played those for hours, and was totally engrossed in the worlds. They no longer are my favorite in their respective series, but they bring tears to my eyes when Nintendo gives them a proper reference. Seriously, the LA map in Four swords Anniversary made me cry.

Post too long, so will part 2.

>> No.1029852

>how old are you?
94-2001
Genesis
Streets of Rage 2
Golden Axe 2
Road Rash 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Gauntlet 4 combo breaker
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Golden Axe 2/Twisted: The Game Show
Barrets story in FFVII
About 2 weeks after I bought a 360, was playing Fallout 3 and it just hit me, this isnt fun anymore.

>> No.1029849

>how old are you?
32, almost.
Early nineties.
NES. Still is.
Contra
Legend of Zelda
Megaman 2
Shatterhand
Super Mario Bros. 3
Final Fantasy VI
Streets of Rage
Seeing the into to Ninja Gaiden for the first time.
When I stopped buying consoles and played only PC games because there just wasn't anything on consoles that seemed fun to me.

>> No.1029853

>how old are you?

Late 90s!

Sega Saturn

Nights, Guardian Heroes, Dark Savior, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Megaman X4

Nights

Saturn Bomberman

In any game? I guess the ending of Megaman 3

Around the release of the PS2 and all the shitty games that came with. I guess finally playing a truly bad Castlevania game as well as the abomination that was Mega Man X7 didn't help things.

>> No.1029863
File: 348 KB, 750x770, 1148807_502012926540732_1072238669_n.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
1987-2013

snes

chrono trigger
final fantasy 6
cotton 100%
final fight 3
g-gundam

Sanic

gta2

Opening of Tombi (tomba psx)

free game with cash shop.

>> No.1029861
File: 77 KB, 556x800, 1372776689654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029845
I was given a broken genesis and a copy of Sonic & Knuckles before I moved across the country, and I didn't think much of it for a while. After my brother had been playing Sonic Advance Flash for a while, I decided to give Sonic & Knux a try through emulation, and how good the game looked blew me away.
After playing metroid for a bit, recommended thingys kept on telling me to play Mega Man, so I played the first game on an emulator, but forgot it. A bit later I decided to legitimately play a game, so I got roms of Megaman 1, 2, and 5, and played them through. They blew me away. Even though constant death frustrated me to the point of looking up a walkthrough, I loved the games. I then played Megaman X and Battle Network, and those games were similar, and I then went through the rest of the series (except Legends. N64 emulation tired me out after finally beating Mario 64 with the Arrow Keys.) and I loved even the batshit hard Zero games. I later was talking to my brother, and found out that he had traded a copy of Mega Man X for another game when I was really little, which made me wonder how my childhood would have been like if I had discovered what is probably my favorite retro series early. That caught me thinking about how much more I had enjoyed playing MM5 and X than every FPS ever, and here I am.

>> No.1029872

>>1029853
>Megaman X4
>based 90's capcom cyber techno soundtrack

Zero or X quests?

>> No.1029871
File: 2.59 MB, 2560x1440, 1317606171029.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?

When I got my SNES packaged with DKC

SNES

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Mega Man X
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Breath of Fire II

Super Mario RPG

Mario Kart 64

Somewhere in FFIX

This is an absolute lie. Gaming has only gotten better with time. If you don't already realize this you will one day. I know I have after 20+ systems and over 500 games collected. Games of the past were designed for a different era - but now we have all those kids & teens of past designing the games of today. I still get excited when I hear about what's coming next from my favorite developers.

>> No.1029876

>how old are you?

From 1997 to ealry 2000

SNES

Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Kirby Superstar, Tales of Phantasia, Bomberman 4

DKC2, every time I listen to the soundtrack I cry a little

Bomberman series.

Baby metroid sacrifice.

Early 6th gen

>> No.1029885
File: 11 KB, 259x194, 1374040534474.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
97-02 (SNES, N64, Gameboy/advance, PC)
SNES
Megaman X, Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Sim City, Zombies Ate my Neighbors, and Contra 3 for good measure
FF Mystic Quest, cuz once you get to be older than like 7 or 8 that game is shit, but prior to that it's pretty good.
Zombies ate my Neighbors, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon
Pokemon Gold, discovering how to clone pokemon by turning off the power when saving, whoring my army of mews at school for real shit like food and toys.
>2010, had been playing xbox360 for a few years, loved Halo 3 and all the rock band games, suddenly realize that games are basically interactive movies, CoD clones, and DLC bait.

Now I love playing older games on SNES that I never had the chance to play, or ones that other people recommend on this board

>> No.1029893
File: 13 KB, 180x179, eepmd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another "everyone posts, nobody reads" thread?

>>how old are you?
>>when was your "golden age of gaming"?
Tie between 4th and 7th gen
>>what was your favorite console?
I have 3 favorite consoles, but I guess I would have to choose SNES. The others would be PS2 and DS.
>>what were your top-5 games on your favorite console?
Final Fantasy III
A Link to the Past
Earthbound
Megaman X
Donkey Kong Country
>>what game gives you the deepest feeling of nostalgia?
That opening sound you hear when booting up Metal Gear Solid. The "Doot Doot Doo-doo-Doot"
>>what game did you have the most fun playing with your friends?
Hmm... Perhaps Mario Kart 64, or pokemon red/blue.
>>what was your top "feel" moment?
Shadow of the Colossus. The whole game. Jesus, what a love story. It's beautiful.
>>at what moment did you finally realize that gaming just wasn't what it used to be (dat "aha" moment)?
Half-way through this gen. About 2008 or 09. Handhelds aren't bad at all though. Both the 3DS and Vita have some great gems.

>> No.1029904

>>1029872
Hey, same (Saturn) guy.
I prefer Zero, of course. Much more fun. Feels like a tribute to Ninja Gaiden in fact. I think the game was actually designed for you to play as Zero and Megaman X was just tacked on at the last minute.

>> No.1029907

>>1029893
I post and skim. That MGS Opening sound is from a Policenauts track. Should be easy enough to find on YouTube.

>> No.1029912

>>1029637
>Legacy of the Wizard
Fuck, man, this game. People who think Zelda is cryptic have never played this game.

I do love it, though.

>> No.1029913
File: 70 KB, 187x184, 1359914285752.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not really as hardcore retro as most people here but I will participate.

>how old are you?
2001-2009
PS2 (I'm sorry, it's just so well rounded.)
1 - Devil May Cry 3
2 - Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifers Call
3 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
4 - Soul Calibur 3
5 - GTA: Vice City/San Andreas
Duke Nukem 3D or TES3: Morrowind
Soul Calibur 3
I guess the end of MGS3 or a lot of FF7? I'm not much about the "feels" in vidya
TES4: Oblivion being a huge piece of shit and Bioware getting my hopes up with Dragon Age: Origin and then dropping my optimism on the floor like an inphant.

Most of my retro nostalgia really comes from PC gaming.

>> No.1029917

>>1029893
It looks like some people have been commenting and reading other's posts.
Relax anon, we love you *HUGS*

>> No.1029927

>>1029728
this is a PSA

the xbox line of consoles will be forever known as

>Original Xbox/OG XBOX/First Xbox
>Xbox 360/X360/360
>Xbox One/Xbone/The end of gaming as we know it

>> No.1029932

>how old are you?
all the 90's / early 2000s I think
Playstation
Silent Hill
Brave Fencer Musashi
Persona 2
FF7
Legend of Mana
>what game gives you the deepest feeling of nostalgia
Jackal
Arcade TMNT 2
Dragon Quest V end of childhood
Somewhat into the 2000's I think, when the line between computers and consoles blurred

>> No.1029941

>how old are you?

1995 through 2000

PlayStation

Final Fantasies VII and IX, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2 and Silent Hill

Final Fantasy VII

GoldenEye 007, definitely

Aeris' death was nothing compared to Dyne's story (FFVII)

As soon as the current gen consoles came around (Wii, 360, PS3) and realized video games' stories were an endangered species. I acknowledge it's most likely because I'm getting "too old for this shit," but it's fine. I'll stick to my old stuff.

>> No.1029949

>>1029913
>PS2 (I'm sorry, it's just so well rounded.)

Why sorry? PS2 is amazing. It's just kind of in discussion purgatory right now because it's too new for /vr/ and /v/ is braindead.

>> No.1029950

>>1029932
>Arcade TMNT 2

This game is what taught me how to swear when I was 6 years old. I would walk down to Ceasarland and steal tokens from the "big kids".

>> No.1029961

>how old are you?
Gamecube era, which also included many roms.
Gamecube
1. SSBM
2. Wind Waker
3. 1080 Snowboarding Avalanche (DAT SOUNDTRACK)
4. Animal Crossing
5. Tales of Symphonia
Final Fantasy IX
Smash Bros Melee
My friends putting down video games to go party while I sat in my room alone playing my instruments. But for real, probably finally finishing Final Fantasy IX after so many years of playing it since its release.
I still enjoy video games, but probably when I picked up my guitar and sat on my drums more often during high school. I eventually picked up the pace with video games, but there have definitely been fewer magical games over the years. I used to be one of those depressed gamer guys on /v/ in 2008, complaining that the games have lost their magic.

>> No.1029970

>>1029949
/vr/ ought to have a 6th gen thread that doesn't get deleted, I think there's some demand for it.

>> No.1029987

>>1029961

Final Fantasy IX's end is very, very that feel.

>> No.1029986

>>1029501

>how old are you?

gen5/PS1 (had the most friends and multiplayer at the time though I likely remember 8 and 16 bit more)

Tough one.Genesis gave me a lot of good times, but PS1 came out of nowhere with an insane volume of games and all new kinds of stuff to do. It would be close between a lot of systems though.

FF7, Twisted Metal 2, Soul Reaver (better on PC but played here first), Xenogears, Diablo (didn't have a good PC)

Megaman

Twisted Metal 1 and 2 (even more than Smash Bros/Goldeneye, etc)

Setting up a new console for the first time. Doesn't matter which, just taking it, out connecting stuff, the feel of parts connecting with the promise of memories to come.

The entire current gen. Saw it all coming and called it.

Seriously consoles had advantages in the past, no load times, easy to use, no patching things had to work right the first time, no chopped up for dlc, fucking local co-op and vs.

Adding in discs, hdds, etc had to happen but with each step toward being a PC that was taken the charm and novelty gave way to them just being shitty PCs and redundant hardware if you have a computer.

And has horrible as I think the current gen is and how horrible the next one will be, honestly there has been a lot in every generation of gaming I've really liked even this one. Mostly awesome shaders and retro styled games using modern tech. So I can't say I ever saw it peak just change.

>> No.1029990

>>1029949
I know, it's just the PS2 was the first console I gave a damn about because I could already emulate older consoles on PC.

I suppose growing up without a 16-bit console made me indifferent to that generation outside gems like Shining Force, Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island.

The games being made today doesn't feel like they are made for me so now I think I'm getting to old for this shit.

>> No.1029997

>>1029970
Well, since the PS2 is pretty much a thing of the past and the current gen is getting replaced soon maybe we should talk about it on /q/?

>> No.1030000
File: 170 KB, 618x782, 1310567269232.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029501

>how old are you?
that magic time when the nintendo was on the out and the snes and genesis wars came out.

NES
Megaman series, Castlevania series, Mario series, Tetris (tengen and Nintendo) and TNMT series.
Mega Man 3
Toss up between mega man 3, street fighter 2 and capcom vrs. snk 2
too many to list
mario 64 and the fact when smash bros. considered a fighting game

>> No.1030007

>>1029987
It was a very rough time for me when I finally beat it, too. Foreclosure, deaths, and being forced to live in a strange place without your parents. Final Fantasy IX was all I did in that strange place for the next few months, and it helped me take my mind off of things. The feels at the end of IX were magnified because of all this and I've felt no greater feel for a video game.

>> No.1030018

>how old are you?
16-bit era
SNES
1. Tales of Phantasia
2. Super Metroid
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Super Mario World
Pokémon Gold
Mario Kart 64
Probably the final part of Locke's storyline in FF6 where he makes peace with the death of Rachel.
This is pretty hard to remember... It was more a gradual realization, but if I have to say something it would probably be the release of the PSP and the extreme focus (at that time) on graphical performance while sacraficing gameplay. The funny thing is that all of my friends who had a PSP actually used it more to emulate retro games after a while.

>> No.1030026

>how old are you?

1997 - 2004

PS1

1-Chrono Trigger
2-FFVI
3-Chrono Cross
4-Suikoden II
5-BoFIII

Either Batman, TMNT (the crappy one) or Astyanax for the NES.

Streets of Rage 2

Lavitz from Legend of Dragoon. dude was my favourite character. then there's Teepo & Rei in BoF3

2009/2010, when i first got into the 7th gen after several years of postponement. the sometimes obnoxious behavior in MP, the annual release of CoD/BF/AC with little to no difference to it's predecessors , and charging extra for DLC that should have made it in the game at launch made me thankful i didn't sell off my PS2, PS1, & GBA to get a PS3.

>> No.1030036

>>1029949
>>1029997
On one hand I would welcome 6th gen discussion,(which is one of the best generations in my opinion) but on the other hand allowing it would create the biggest shitstorm /vr/ has ever had, no matter what the circumstances are. I'm also afraid it would attract the wrong kind of people.

It might be worth a try though. A lot of games/systems are stuck between the /v/ and /vr/ limbo, most notably the Dreamcast.

>> No.1030039

>how old are you?
Snes and Genesis.

Genesis when I was growing up. SNES currently.
Super mario world, chrono trigger, rock and roll racing, zombies ate my neighbors, turtles in time
Mike Tyson's Punch out
SF2, Snow Brothers, Streets of Rage
Playing Resident Evil on my friends surround sound system, scared shitless when dog pops out for the first time.
Somewhere in 2006/2007

>> No.1030046

>how old are you?
1985-1995
SNES
Kirby Super Star, Link to the Past, Super Mario All-Stars, Lufia II, SimCity
Super Mario Bros. 3
Hit the Ice
Ending of Lufia II
Nintendo 64

>> No.1030051
File: 25 KB, 300x277, tumblr_m6iaf2s7bp1qev756.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1030018
>Probably the final part of Locke's storyline in FF6 where he makes peace with the death of Rachel.

goddamn, dat feel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdNPIw6SEqE&list=PLAFFAA9624D22DD27

>> No.1030058

Since people are getting on board with feels, did anyone else get the chills when they finished Chrono Trigger and watched what happened to everyone as they went back to their own time, with that haunting rendition of the theme?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfUYZmydl8I&list=PL21BAA7C6EDEB63A3&index=64

>> No.1030062

>>1029501
>how old are you?
N64
1. OoT
2. SM64
3. F-zero X
4. Star Fox 64
5. Majora's Mask
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Playing Super Mario 64 for the first time at home.
Playing Metal Gear Solid 2

>> No.1030071

>>1030058
Yes.

And I do love that soundtrack.

>> No.1030078
File: 334 KB, 512x512, pumkin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?

1995-2000. So late SNES, most of the PS1.

PS1.

Xenogears
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Breath of Fire 3
Silent Hill

Xenogears. Just the era it came out in. It was the embodiment of everything I loved about 90s RPGs, anime, music, media in general. The culmination of everything I ever wanted to see in a game. I doubt it'll ever be topped for me. Even when I played it, back then, even as a 14 year old I said to myself "I'm probably never going to play a better game than this. Everything I play from here on out will be held to the standards this game is."

Goldeneye 007. So much fun... we played it all the time, even doing the zany shit like slappers only, or all proximity mines.

The opening to Chrono Cross. I just can't watch it without shedding a tear. I don't know why. It speaks to me in some way about lost innocence or a childhood that can never be reclaimed and about summers long since past that no one will ever remember. It makes me well up every time.

Diablo 3. I realized pretty fast that I was no longer in the "target demographic" of today's game developers.

>> No.1030090

>>1030078
>Xenogears.
As far as story complexity, depth of characters, length (jesus, that game was long), and innovative combat there was nothing better in its era.

>> No.1030087

>how old are you?

5th gen aiming for more than it's niche audience, 3D being fully embraced, and lots of third party support from Sony, Nintendo, and governments, led to a wave of creativity and furtherance in the industry.

Playstation just edges it over PS2, but it's currently PS3, considering my model handles my PS2, PS1, and media stuff, like a champ.

Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider 2, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2,

Probably Castle of Illusion on the Mega Drive

Worms

It's hard to pick just one from FFIX. Vivi and Garnet's story arcs in particular are full heartbreaking events.

For me I can't pinpoint it, if such a point exists.
From an industry standpoint, there's always been great titles coming out, outweighing any shit that I can ignore, and my old titles are still there to fall back on in release slumps, accessible in more ways than before.
From a personal standpoint I'm in a great place. My job puts more games on my table than I had when I was younger, I live in my own place, with a decent PC at my desk, a nice HD TV connected to a current console, and a games room with a CRT hooked up to previous gen systems

>> No.1030091

>how old are you?
1996-2004
Not retro but it be the Dreamcast
Soul Calibur
Power Stone 2
Grandia 2
Marvel vs Capcom2
Skies of Arcadia
Ranger X
WWF Attitude, you didn't even have to like wrestling for that game to be a blast.
Skies of Arcadia at the end with Drachma
Haven't really hit that. If anything it's like music, movies and what not where the older generation thinks the newer stuff is crap when in reality every generation has it's good/bad it's just a question of did you grow up with it.

>> No.1030101

>>1030090
You know what I would love? Not a remake, but a remaster, with all of the unfinished-due-to-lack-of-budget stuff actually redone so that it was playable. Also fixing the typos and the horrible voice acting/synching in the cut scenes.

The fact that the game was so slipshod and obviously unfinished really hurt it, IMO.

>> No.1030104
File: 955 KB, 360x360, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSPOOKY.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
5th Gen
PS1
Suikoden II, Breath of Fire III, Brave Fencer Musashi, Legend of Legaia, and Mega Man Legends
Rocket Knight Adventures
Friends?
"That" part with Teepo in Breath of Fire III
When I started playing current gen games

>> No.1030124

>how old are you?
1996-2000
PS1
(In no particular order)
Syphon Filter
Spyro 2
Resident Evil
Rayman
Crash Bandicoot
Pokemon Blue
Crash Bash and Unreal Tournament
Taking my PS1 out the old box after years without playing, dusting it off and playing games that reminded me of when gaming was something truly magical for me.
When I realised that I could use reviews to cherry-pick only the best games available instead of going to the store with my mother and picking a game based on the cover, never sure of what I was getting (more a personal thing than the general decline in the industry.)

>> No.1030126

>how old are you?
1993-2003
SNES
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Top Gear
Street Fighter II: Turbo
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Super Mario All-Stars (3 particularly)
Top Gear
Top Gear
Beating Street Fighter II: Turbo with all 12 characters.
The dawn of online gaming. I thought gamers were going to be cool to each other and basically be a group of well-natured nerds. For a kid in rural Nebraska I was excited about connecting with other gamers.
Then gaming lobbies on Mortal Kombat Deception and Madden 04 blew it for me. Overcompetitive Assholes everywhere, that or just plain fucking losers. Huge disapointment. I almost never play online anymore.

Would be cool to get a retro gaming club and play old online games (COD4 for example). I think a lot of the problem is kids. Playing with other people with jobs and families might be awesome.

>> No.1030141

Late 90's
Pc gaymin.
At the time it was Counterstrike
Gloom (quake 2 mod awesome as fuck)
starcraft
total annihilation
and warcraft 2
I would kill to play Gloom again. Seriously I played it for years with a close knit community and the teamplay was fun as fuck.
My aha moment was the modern warfare 2 fiasco. Up until that point I had bought and loved every cod game by both studios.

>> No.1030145

>23
>When I first got my nintendo as a hand me down from my cousins. I felt like the fuckin king as a 4 year old with my own nintendo
>Oh fuck I dunno SNES?
>Turtles in Time, Super Street Fighter 2, Starfox, SMW, DKC
>TMNT tournament fighters for the NES it was first game for my own console and the soundtrack is PURE nostalgia to me
>NBA Jam, Madden (dont hate), Golden Axe, Turtles in Time and Hyperstone heist
>when frog cuts the mountain in chrono trigger I didnt play it till a couple years ago and that shit blew me away. Glen has so much honor and loyalty to Cyrus I get teared up thinking about it.
>CoD4, I hated it with a passion and it ruined my beloved FPS genre. It seems like its making a rebirth though the new ROTT kicked ass

>> No.1030163
File: 169 KB, 441x502, 1375599260259.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
16 bit console wars
super metroid
wild guns
pocky and rocky 2
yoshi's island
a link to the past
link's awakening / a link to the past
smash 64
koholint disappearing / all of valkyrie profile
playing metroid prime 2 for the first time. There was a space marine character that delivered spoken dialogue. Game atmosphere / childhood destroyed.

>> No.1030169

>how old are you?
Speaking in terms of an entire generation, I'd say the PS11 era ('94-'03). But for me personally, I'd say '98-'02 because that's the timeframe that the horror genre really shined.
PS1
Resident Evil2, Parasite Eve, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis 2, Final Fantasy VIII
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Super Mario Brothers 3
Ada's "death" in scenario B in RE2
One day I bought a PS1 oddity (can't remember what it was) for $5 and found out it had multiple playable characters, took skill, planning and experience to beat and had great replay value out of the box. Then I played one of my $60 PS3 games and felt totally disgusted with the absolute lacking of all of those elements.

>> No.1030174

>>1030145
>CoD4
I'm curious as to why you hated it with a passion. Personally I loved it, thought the campaign was varied and engaging, the multiplayer fantastic, and it was a considerable step up in terms of design and presentation from COD2.
MW2 was a far worse offender. WaW was justifiable as a side game from a different studio, using the engine in a short span to create a WW2 game, but MW2 seemed a dumb, and lazy, cash grab, that paved the way for the other titles in the series to follow the same design.

>> No.1030179

>>1030169
>One day I bought a PS1 oddity (can't remember what it was) for $5 and found out it had multiple playable characters, took skill, planning and experience to beat and had great replay value out of the box.
I'm really curious to know what this is, now. I need to play more PS1 games.

>> No.1030184
File: 345 KB, 500x467, 1367483016827.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
around the snes VS genesis era
snes
Its too hard to put then in order... I would say
Megaman x2, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, FF6.... man, so many good games are left out...
mario world, when I'm playing it I always feel at home...
Smash bros on the n64
I know it's silly but its just because I was young... when Zero self destruct in X1...
Anything on the the PS2 era. I think the worst is when I played megaman x7... what a piece of garbage

>> No.1030190

>>1030169
>PS1 oddity (can't remember what it was)
C'mon, anon, clues. Genre? Region of origin? Anything.

>> No.1030204
File: 170 KB, 707x1000, JRPG's Motherfucker!.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
1990-2005
Playstation
1 - Final Fantasy VII
2 - Wild Arms
3 - Breath of Fire 3
4 - Suikoden
5 - Star Ocean: The Second Story
Chrono Trigger
Soul Calibur 2
Marle hugging Crono after he was brought back to life
I don't believe there was an "aha" Just a gradual realization that they don't make games like they used to.

After 2005 they started to feel shorter but I've still had many feels in this new generation. Kingdom Hearts, Dragon's Dogma, Ace Combat 4 and all sorts of random games from all the generations. Still get feels but differently. While I can't be in wonder of games like I used to I believe I can appreciate them in a way that I couldn't as a kid.

Gonna play til the day I die.

>> No.1030209

>>1030190
oddball game
multiple characters
requires skill and experience

Legend of Legaia? (Stab in the Dark)

>> No.1030215

>>1030209
God, I would just list my collection of PS1 games. Too many good ones to count.

>> No.1030221

>>1030169
>One day I bought a PS1 oddity (can't remember what it was) for $5 and found out it had multiple playable characters, took skill, planning and experience to beat and had great replay value
Saga Frontier?

>> No.1030239
File: 136 KB, 614x461, bare-knuckle-iii000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029501
>>how old are you?
1994-2002
I only had NES and Genesis, so, there's not much to choose from
Five is too few.
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Dune II: The Battle for Arrakis
Gunstar Heroes
Rock n' Roll Racing
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Bare Knuckle 3
Golden Axe 3
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
UMK3
Pic related, finishing Bare Knuckle 3 gives me an unbelievable sense of accompishment. The game has some of the most satisfying end credits ever. The soothing music, the pictures of characters going on with their lives, this ending is just incredibly relaxing.
>>at what moment did you finally realize that gaming just wasn't what it used to be (dat "aha" moment)?
Never, I enjoy both old and modern games just fine, finished the new Tomb Raider couple days ago, now playing Dragon Quest 3 for the first time.

>> No.1030240

>how old are you?
>golden age of gaming for me
97-01
>top-5
FFVII, SotN, Crash 3, Skullmonkeys, and Parasite Eve
>most nostalgia
FFVII
>most fun with friends playing
either DBZ Budokai 3 or MvC2
>top feel
when Red XIII finds Zero in FFVII
>my aha moment
basically when Halo 2 got big, once online gaming took off it changed everything

I know I'm a bit young for this board, but I play very few current games, and /v/ is a shithole

>> No.1030242

>how old are you?
Late 80's - mid 90's
Tie: SNES
Final Fantasy VI
LttP
Chrono Trigger
Gradius III
Super Castlevania IV
FF VI
Bomberman 2
FF VI - The fucking world ending
Don't really have one I guess. I'm still an avid gamer.

>> No.1030251

25 years old.

My golden age of gaming was probably from 1993 to 2004 or so.

It's not that old, but my favorite console is probably the Gamecube. Game Boy Color and DS would come next.

To make it /vr/-related, I'll list my 5 favorite GBC and GB games. Wario Land 3, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Pokemon Gold, and Dragon Warrior III.

It's hard to pin down just one game that's the most nostalgic, but I'll go with Kirby's Dream Land 2. It was my first Game Boy game, and it persists as one of my favorites. The music and graphics still get to me.

I used to play multiplayer games by myself, like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Phantasy Star Online, in expectation of the day that I'd find somebody else to play the game with, and when I did I imagined how impressed they'd be with how much I had achieved in the game and admire me. Those expectations remain unfulfilled.

My top feel was Tales of Symphonia. The entire game.

A couple years ago I realized I was more excited over the purchase of a used PS2 than the prospective purchase of a PS3.

>> No.1030254

>>1030126
I screwed up. The most fun I had playing with friends was NFL Blitz

>> No.1030264

>how old are you?
Late nineties on the pc, early naughties on console
Mega Drive
SoR2
Shining Force 2
Gunstar Heroes
Tiny Toons Acme Allstars
NHL 97
Test Drive 2 the Duel
Fifa 1, Pro evo 4, SoR 2
Hard question. Soleil has to be up there; the opening video in Guardian Heroes does things to me for reasons unexplained; Lemon's death, Alys' too (SF2/PSIV); most recently, World of Goo, Papers, the end to Ikaruga and Cart Life.
Actually, sod all that. The ending to Panzer Dragoon Zwei.
When steam became a good thing and when news began to surface about Oblivion being dumbed down in relation to Morrowind. Finding Fallout 3 was being made by Bethesda most likely sealed the deal. But it was Dead Space 2's condescension that made me realize I just didn't give a tenth of a fuck anymore.

>> No.1030265
File: 23 KB, 250x173, 250px-StarFox64_N64_Game_Box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
90's
N64
Starfox 64, Super Smash Brothers, Megaman 64, Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark
Starfox 64 or Grandia or Resident Evil 2. Megaman X used to, and Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask's music does it to me every time. Also Silent Hill for some nonchalant reason
Vigilante 8
The entire end sequence of Starfox 64, or maybe finding out Harry was your son in Snatcher. Actually, I'd say the Metroid sacrificing itself in Super Metroid, simply because there were no words spoken
When Halo became popular.

>> No.1030295

>>1030174
The multiplayer is running around in circles the entire time. I know things like quake and doom seem like that too but those games have map control because they have weapon and health pickups. In quake and doom you move with a purpose and thats to pick up all the good shit before anyone else can and to kill them along the way, CoD4 its like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off with guns. Quake had prefiring of rockets into areas you knew the enemy was headed towards, you can prefire corners and shit in cod but its just not as good as rocket jumping across the map and placing rockets perfectly into corners.

>> No.1030296

>21
>1998-2004(I couldn't really enjoy games until I was six XD)
>no fav I played ports a lot but didnt own many consoles
>top 5 per console(regardless of order)
Nes: FFI, DQ1, castlevainia, Zelda 1 and2
Genesis: sonic 3, vectorman 2, comix zone, shining force 1, flicky
Snes: chrono trigger, ff6, doom, Loz lttp, super metriod
N64: star fox 64, Loz oot, vigilante 8, ssb, Mario party
>sonic cd (first game I ever owned/beat completely)
> ssb
>the ending credits for sonic cd and the fight against kefka
>completing golden sun 3 without getting a single game over

>> No.1030301
File: 804 KB, 960x854, chrono_trigger__dragon_tank_by_eiffelart-d3h5ucg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?

96-06ish

SNES

1 - A Link to the Past
2 - Chrono Trigger
3 - Kirby SuperStar
4 - ActRaiser
5 - Super Mario RPG

Pokemon Silver

Gundam Battle Assault 2 / Conker's BFD

The first time i finished ALttP. I just love the music.

Around the middle of current gen, when I finally caved and bought a 360. I feel like i play most current gen games out of habit, rather than because I get enjoyment out of them. There are definitely some diamonds in the rough, but many titles are just meh.

>> No.1030309

26yr old

Golden age was from 94 to 2001

pS1

Resident evil 2, RE3, Driver (a burnout button....come on!) SOTN, FF8

Probably SOTN gives me the nostalgia the most, or Diablo 2

Halo tourneys at a friends house where someone would have to bring another tv were pretty awesome. Once my friend, my brother and I ordered 100 chicken wings for dinner and played halo for like 5 hours. There were 18 wings left.

The Dom and Maria moment from GOW2, cried like a bitch (can't think of retro feels, other than the extreme anger after beating Zelda and having to play that whole fucking shit over again)

I still enjoy gaming even though there are games just out to make money (cod...*cough *cough). I love the retro because it reminds me of being a kid except now I can actually go back and kick ass at what seemed to be a super challenging level or boss back in the day.

The modern games that tell a fantastic story or give the audience something to think about are the gems of the present day.

>> No.1030316

>how old are you?
NES and N64
NES and N64
Nintendo's greatest hits, I was a huge Nintendofag before.
Paper Mario
I didn't really play much with friends, but do have fond memories of Tank City 1990, Mario Bros, Contra and Battletoads, TMNT was fun.
OoT and SM64 blew my mind away
Around the time I completed Majoras Mask, next nail in the coffin was the anouncement of WW and finally the Wii. After experiencing the shift to fitness gear I'm sad to say gaming is dead to me.

>> No.1030319

>how old are you?
2002-2008
Went from Ps2 to Gamecube
1)Resident Evil 4
2)SSBM
3)Windwaker
4)Mario Golf Toadstool Tour
5)Monkey Ball
Probably WoW. (I hate to say it, but it is more about the people than the game.
WoW, Melee, Halo 2.
Good feel? Beating Super Metroid.
Bad feel? The day my guild disbanded in WoW.
When I was 19. Shit man. That feel.

>> No.1030326

>>1030242
You were born in 89' or 88' you did not enjoy gaming then.

>> No.1030332

Stop speaking in memes.

>> No.1030342

>>1030332
I know, right? I almost thought I was on 4chan for a minute.

>> No.1030343

>>1030342
Being on 4chan or not is no excuse for it.

>> No.1030353

>>1030174
>>1030295

Amazing CoD campaigns died with MW2. Granted CoD 2 and 3 campaigns were bullshit because eventually they would unleash sniper squad alpha of the Svedka Russian guard on your ass at one point in the game but I digress...

>MW campaign: Dat nuke detonation, Dat Barrett level, Dat stopping ww3, Dat dying at the end because I HAD NO CLE I WAS SUPPOSED TO SHOOT THAT ONE ARMED FUCK....awesome
>MW2 campaign: Seeing Washington DC in flames (feels man...feels) Dat airport massacre, Dat double cross and PULLING THE KNIFE OUT OF YOUR OWN DAMN CHEST! all of my wat.

Every cod after that has tried to be either 2edgy4me (punching the guy in the face whilst he eats glass in blops) or a bunch of "shoot all these bad guys and when beating the boss press all these buttons when we tell you ok go" garbage.

Blops2 tried to be cool by letting you discover evidence of a mole in the CIA, and making you kill your best friend but meh...I'm over it.

Step your game up CoD. Your shiny multiplayer turd won't make you money forever...oh wait...yea it will...

>> No.1030356

>how old are you?
1990-1996. Fourth gen.
SNES
1. Super Metroid
2. A Link to the Past
3. Kirby's Dream Land 3
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Mario Kart
Chrono's death.
End of the sixth gen.

>> No.1030357

>>1030326
Maybe mom played Mario while he was In The womb

>> No.1030360

>>1029501
>how old are you?
It never stopped. But by far CS and WoW were the two of my most intensive games I ever played. CS in 2001, WoW in 2005. Since the Alley Cat, I've been a PC gamer and have played most of the good PC titles available
PC
1. WoW. Even though it's cancer. But I can still recognize its cultural impact and the first times I played it in vanilla was pure magic.
2. Counter Strike.
3. Baldur's Gate 2.
4. Doom. The breakthrough in computer graphics that allowed this amazing 3D experience. Heavy metal tracks. Ultraviolence. Just plain old fun. First online play with a modem.
5. The Diablo series. First and the second game, including its expansion.
WoW, because of the time spent, and people met.
Slicks 'n' slide, IK karate on C64
Probably single handedly defeating the opposing team in CS on a skilled server or killing 3 rogues trying to gank me in world PvP. Any time I win against the odds and really, truly "own" people.
Never, really. Today, games just don't like to take risks and 3D graphics seem to be more important than actual gameplay. Games will always be there. The potential will always be available. People are just too dumb, uninspired or afraid to fully take advantage of it.

>> No.1030368

>how old are you?
1996-1999
SNES
The good ones. DKC, DKC2, SMRPG, etc.
Any game from my childhood on NES.
Super Mario Kart 64 or Mario Party 1

>tfw data is wiped from dying snes cartridge battery

What?

>> No.1030424

>how old are you?
Late 1990s and early 2000s
PS2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
Metal Gear Solid 2
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Time Splitters 2
Final Fantasy VI
Deus Ex
The death of Cyan's family in FFVI.
I don't think I've had such a moment.

>> No.1030447

>how old are you?
Probably 17~18
Always been Super Nintendo, but the PS2 is a close second.
Mega Man X, Super Star Wars, Super Mario World, Super Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong Country
Never really had "feels" for games
Still not there, having a blast with Nintendo's Wii and DS/3DS, and still discovering games that I wasn't allowed to play as a lad.

>> No.1030461

>The Nintendo 64 era
>N64
>Perfect Dark, Hybrid Heaven, Goldeneye 007, Super Mario 64, WWF No Mercy (don't laugh at me)
>A Link To The Past
>Road Rash 64
>Metal Gear Solid 4, but only because I madly love Snake
>modern warfare 2

>> No.1030463

>>1029501

The same as everyone else, because it refers to a specific time in gaming where games were mostly good and the technology while not perfect was good. Which was PCs and Consoles overlapped with their best hardware and software, roughly between 89-96. Fourth gen consoles pretty much topped everything and were fairly decent and PCs came into a decent unification and speed increase as well as bringing mice into things.

With friends, mega bomberman earliest. LAN - Quake 3/Quakeworld. With other people Quakeworld/Duke Nukem 3D/Action Quake 2/Action Half Life all online with people I mostly didn't know, which tended to be better than playing against friends because my friends weren't really any significant competition for me. In Q3, we played 2/3 vs 1 and while they eventually learned to eat up items they still generally couldn't kill me except for the rare fuck up. The KDR was always effectively infinite, but stacking more of them just made it slower to score frags.

I rode the multiplayer wave and as I did, I'd say right around the time Quake 3 I played and when it was waning a bit, looking around at other games I could toss shit aside consistently and even noticed that games were pretty much decreasing in quality since ~96... and it's like what the fuck, and I tried out Quakeworld since it had a community still and I figured it was worth trying out again and I played that for a bit during the end of it's days during the best of it's years. And I looked around and there was even worse and less games at this point I realized it's pretty much staying dead. By 2005 it was pretty much signed that the industry was uninteresting in good games anymore.

>> No.1030472
File: 27 KB, 501x410, hw-N64-ExpansionPak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
90-99. Waking up early on the weekends solely to get the most out of my video games was a treasured time.
Definitely N64. That was the console where I began focusing on completing games. I remember everything about the room I was in, what it looked like, and the time of day when I first beat Ocarina of Time.
Majora's Mask
Goldeneye
Ocarina of Time
Mario 64
Motherfucking WCW Revenge
Ocarina of Time far and away. I remember going to school in 5th grade and talking with my friends about where we were in the game and our last completed milestone. Great times.
Honestly, playing Dota 2 strangely enough.
The entire tragedy of Major's Mask. Sad story.
DLC and the casualization of established franchises. When games get easier and easier and you're buying horse armor, something isn't right.

>> No.1030507

>how old are you?
In terms of "era," 1995-2006ish
Playstation, though GB/C puts up a good showing.
Final Fantasy Tactics, Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night, Suikoden, Metal Gear Solid, SaGa Frontier
Final Fantasy Tactics, honestly. I've put easily 500 combined hours into the game, if not more, but I can still play it happily.
Various Street Fighters and Mortal Kombats, Bomberman 64, Super Smash Bros./Melee, SoulEdge and Soul Calibur III, Quake III
A hell of a lot of Dragon Quest V and Valkyrie Profile
I'm not fond of modern military sim-ish FPS. I realize it sells, but I feel it inundates the market, just like rhythm games did a few years back. I give stuff a fair shake, though. I ended up enjoying Demon's Souls, Bayonetta, and Nier, for instance. You just need to know what you're looking for. It's not the same as it was, but they said that when polygons first happened, too.

>> No.1030531

>how old are you?

1990-2000

Probably SNES, but hard to choose.

1- Super Mario All Stars
2- Link to the Past
3- Terranigma
4- Yoshi's Island
5- Lufia II

Doing this list was way too hard, OP!

Super Mario Bros. 3 (first game I owned), International Super Star Soccer 64 (used to play it a lot with my dad, modern football games are kinda dull IMHO)

Super Smash Bros. or Mario Kart 64, hard to tell.

When I finally finished Super Mario Bros. 3, as a kid it was majestic.

Probably around the time Sega bowed out of the console wars, and Playstation took over everything. I still enjoy newer games, though, but mainly Nintendo ones. Stuff that I can easily play with my family or friends.

>> No.1030534

how old are you?
year 1 NES
>what was your favorite console?NES but was fascinated by Atari's as I didn't have one growing up

>what game gives you the deepest feeling of nostalgia? Zelda and Blaster Master
>what game did you have the most fun playing with your friends? Mario 1 and 3

>at what moment did you finally realize that gaming just wasn't what it used to be (dat "aha" moment)? I never experienced this. I still enjoy the new stuff as well as the old. I rarely play FPS's so this might have something to do with it.
Bonus memory: Playing the demo for the NES at Walmart before it's release. It was a screen with two controllers and a red button to select the games. The anticipation was maddening!

>> No.1030543

>how old are you?
92-95 and 02-05
the NES
Ufouria, Mega man 3 & 5, Kirby's adventure, Simon's quest
Morrowind, but if it has to be /vr/ related then Mega man games on the NES
Super bomberman 1 & 2 with four controllers or NHL 96 with little brother
Probably those Bomberman moments with friends. I miss those days. Or beating Warcraft II.
I kind of stopped playing at some time when I found glorious alcohol as a teenager. I moved from Playstation to Xbox so there was a break for years and I only played something on PC occasionally.

>> No.1030547

>how old are you?
N64. Still is
Smash
Blitz
DK64
BK
Stadium
AoE2. Which is odd because I still play it frequently.
Halo 3
The first time I ever entered DK Isles. Just the feeling of "holy shit, this game is huge. I'm gonna have to stop playing soon for school, and am going to come up with the craziest ideas about what could be waiting for me to explore/discover."
Reach

>> No.1030559

Me, personally? Or when I believed it was? If the former, then the 6th gen. I grew up with 5th, but I don't remember them as fondly as I did the 6th due to my circumstances at the time. I still consider the PS2 as one of, if not the best systems. If the latter, then likely the 90's as a whole.

I've recently taken a liking to the Super Nintendo and the Saturn, besides the PS2.

Assuming PS2, and in no particular order; Okami, Ratchet & Clank 3, Katamari Damacy, Persona 3, and Shadow of the Colossus. I couldn't give a favorites list for Saturn or Super Nintendo though, I don't feel like I've sampled the available games enough.

Mario Kart 64 was my first, so, that.

I never played games with my friends until recently, excluding MMOs.

I've hardly played any story-heavy retro games, or any games for that matter. I don't see it as too important anyway.

7th gen

>> No.1030731
File: 397 KB, 750x750, 2012-03-25-486665.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
1991~2001
Sega Genesis
Rocket Knight Adventures
Shinobi III
Contra: Hard Corps
Sonic The Hedgehog
Shadowrun
Sonic The Hedgehog
Gunstar Heroes and Super Smash Brothers.
When your father took the hit from Apollo exploding in Final Fantasy Legend II.
>at what moment did you finally realize that gaming just wasn't what it used to be (dat "aha" moment)
It never really hit me yet. I sometimes play more recent games and still have fun.

>> No.1030816
File: 497 KB, 400x276, 1368195732694.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
hmm, hard to say. I want to say the 8-bit era because it was when it was all new to me, but honestly I think it was the 32/64-bit era when video games were doing so many new things.
The Nintendo 64. Nothing will ever beat that first 3d experience for me. It was gaming nirvana.
1) Super Mario 64
2) Pilotwings 64
3) Mario Kart 64
4) Perfect Dark
5) Turok
Hard to pin it down to one. Dragon Warrior on NES, R-Type on master system, Sonic 3 and Knuckles still amazes the shit out of me as much as it did when I was a kid.
Either WCW vs NWO, Smash Bros 64, or Secret of Mana.
Breath of Fire 3 when you get first separated from your friends and have to trek out on your own. Dat sad music and burned tree fort.
This current gen. It finally hit me when Capcom cancelled Megaman Legends 3 that I really noticed. Indie titles do give me hope, but it feels like unique gaming experiences are becoming less important.

Also

>All those anons without "aha" moments
You give me hope for the future /vr/, I wish I wasn't as jaded.

>> No.1030827

>how old are you?
The PS2 Era
The PS2
Ace Combat V: The Unsung War
Rogue Galaxy
Star Wars: Battlefron II
Tekken 4
Hack.// Volume 1
World of Warcraft, dem wasted years
Battlefront II or Tekken 4
The Entirety of Kotor 1-2 and Half Life 2 or a specific moment was when Chopper died in Ace Combat V, I remember playing it again and again trying to save him
I can't place it on a specific moment, but it happened

>> No.1030829

>>1030547
The Reason for me not feeling nostalgia when playing AoEII, is I Believe, that I really never stopped playing it

>> No.1030835

>how old are you?
hm... 97 was my most fondest memories, but I have many around 95 as well... somewhere between that
Nintendo Entertainment system, but you're asking in past-tense... uhm... at that age? n64 i guess.
i guess I'll go with n64. Ocarina of time, Mario 64, super smash, mario kart, mario party 2 (at that time, these were my favorite)
off of the list above, ocarina of time. i would spend the night at my best friends houses with a few other friends and we'd just stay up exploring hyrule. this was when internet access for kids was near impossible unless you sneak on. we were without any hints, but the sense of adventure pushed us forward. we'd trade info with other school kids and eventually would beat the game, all 4 of us together.
as stated above, ocarina of time was a group effort for us, but smash bros was always a blast, as was mario party and mario kart of course
finally beating ocarina of time. every time i beat it now, i flashback to 1999 or whatever year it was when we finally beat it. we were all so stoked. it was around 4am, we were 10 years old, and were so so proud. i don't talk to any of those guys anymore. i wonder if they have the same feels.
i was always into retro gaming, always keeping my genesis and NES connected, throughout my middle school ps2 days and even through high school, so, that kind of gaming was always an important part of my childhood, but I think, as a couple other people said, it was when Call of Duty MW came out, and suddenly everything was THAT.

>> No.1030852

>>1029501
>how old are you?
1994- 1999
Back then, SNES. Now, N64
Back then, DKC 1- 3, Lufia II, Terranigma, SoM, SoE
Now, SM 64, Rayman 2, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Lylat Wars, Mario Kart 64
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Goldeneye & Mario Kart 64
Discovering the truth about Kokolint Island before the sixth dungeon
Somewhere between the release of Super Mario Sunshine and Twilight Princess.

>> No.1030908

>how old are you?
I can't really say I grew up on way too many consoles, I'm going to go with the N64 though cause the graphics were fantastic at the time.
SNES
Earthbound
Super mario Bros. Allstars
Street Fighter
Yoshi's Island
Chrono Trigger

Probably super mario bros. 2 or 3.

Super smash bros. on the n64

The first time I beat Super Mario world and finished that bonus star path or whatever. Then played through the game again.

Haven't yet had that moment, hope it never comes to that.

>> No.1030925

>how old are you?
'99-'04
SNES
Megaman X, Chrono Trigger, A Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country 3, Super Metroid (though I only played Metroid for the first time this year)
MMX
Didn't really play games that much with my friends, but me and my sister used to play Killer Instinct which I have fond memories of
Saying goodbye to everybody in Chrono Trigger
When my older brother bought a 360 and I played Gears of War online co-op. Shudder

>> No.1030986
File: 585 KB, 1280x720, 1376490218140.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029501
>22, 23 in October
>The PS2 blew my socks off. Still my most played console. My N64 gave me a lot of good years, though.
>PS2
>Persona 4, Odin Sphere, Zone of the Enders, Sly 3, Bully
>Banjo-Tooie. dat fucking game, so many things to do.
>Super Smash Bros. I always picked Samus and used her dash attack. Close second was Diddy Kong Racing.
>Yoshi Story's ending credits made me cry. Odin Sphere also really got to me, but it's not too nostalgic for me yet.
>During the current gen as console exclusives started to die and so many old games came back as generic FPSes. Still, I admire a lot of indie games for experimenting with mechanics and narrative in ways the big guys just don't do anymore.

I'm using emulation to catch up on NES, SNES and all that. I had a Genesis as my first console.

>> No.1030994

>how old are you?
15 year ago i recken
sega saturn
nights, sega rally, daytona usa, sonic jam, earthworm jim 2
super mario 64
sega rally
i dont know
somewhere along the ps2 lifeline

>> No.1030998

>how old are you?

10 - 15

SNES

Chrono Trigger
Mario Kart
Mario All Star
Terranigma
Final Fantasy VI

Hard to say. There are many.
Maybe final fantasy VII. first one I played.

Don't really know. Maybe Pokemon Heart Gold.

Metal Gear Solid 4, the fight ontop of arsenal gear.

I still love plenty of modern games. However, I mostly play good old retro games.

>> No.1031003

>>1029501
>how old are you?
1990 when we had an nes(basically since i was born cuz i used to watch my older brothers play and then immediatly start to play myself when i turned 3) untill 2002 when i had a n64 i skipped the snes and i deeply regret it now
the snes, even though when i was little i only played it when i was at my cousin's house. But it blew my mind nonetheless
Super Matroid
Earthbound
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Mario Bros 3 and Megaman 1 on nes
The Mario Party games, Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros on N64
The first time i played Super Mario 64 wich the first 3D game i ever played
You bet, since i completely missed the awesomness that was the snes i was completetly blown away (i imagine more than some) bu the 3D

>> No.1031008

>>1031003
>The first time i played Super Mario 64 wich the first 3D game i ever played

Even though I consider SNES the golden age of gaming, I can see what you are saying here. The first time I was dicking around and I looked up at the light coming in from the stained glass ceiling window I was blown away with that initial wing cap experience. I don't think any game had simulated that 'openness' quite so well before. It was astonishing.

>> No.1031012
File: 2.99 MB, 2450x1400, SoM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
The nineties
SNES
Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mariokart, Super Street Fighter II, Super Bomberman II
Secret of Mana, it was my first adventure/ RPG ever, and it triggered a long lasting love for JRPGs.
Not so much into JRPG's now though, but still love this.
Super Bomberman 2, I had/have a multitap, and it even went with me to university-roomies to keep us from going out several saturday nights, but playing it all through the night. That game is multiplayer crack.
Not really most 'feels', but Chrono Trigger as a whole game left the biggest impression on me. Man I was immersed in that game. (Especially the sidequests like Robo and Fiona, Lara and her mum, the ending, just that general 'feel' of how relative everything is considering the timespan the earth covered, and at the same time how small little things could end up in giant alterations over time.)
I think it's more a matter of growing up and losing the ability to be completely immersed in vidya. That came pretty late for me, about 24-ish I guess.

>> No.1031013

>how old are you?
1999 - 2005
megadrive / pc / nes
mixed platforms really anyway:

PC: zork: grand inquisitor / GTA / motoracer / MDK / elastomania / blood / wacky wheels / carmageddon / netstorm / scarab of RA (!) / OMF 2097 / DOOM / Duke 3D / red alert / AOE.../.../

SEGA: Sonic 1 / Mortal Kombat / Rambo 3 / Rocket Knight Adventures / Space Harrier 2 / California Games / Last Battle/.../.../
Perhaps Sonic the Hedgehog, haven't played it in a while though. In my head it's probably A boy and His Blob: Rescue Princess Blobette or whatever it was called. God damn I never managed to get past the first few screens of that fucking game
wacky wheels probably
Bosses in Space Harrier 2. Dat intense music.
After original xbox became obsolete, went back and bought a NES, played old PC games again

>> No.1031015

>>1031013

Oh shit it totally forgot about my n64.

>perfect dark

>> No.1031017
File: 40 KB, 399x388, 1348129155304.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1031012
>growing up
>losing the ability to be completely immersed in vidya

>> No.1031023
File: 83 KB, 700x474, 1364584755117.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
I can't really say for sure since my relationship to games is very "platonic" as in it's rare that I enjoy playing them, but I'm always interested in the substance of a game regardless of how entertaining it is.
But it is probably during the 90s and early 20s
Playstation 1 & 2 and PC
5. Lego Rock Raiders
4. Doom
3. Croc 2
2. Crash Bandicoot
1. Warcraft 2
I have a hard time remembering the rest, especially the name of the games.
Fate of the Dragon
Night fire & Half-life: Opposing Force
When you're a kid everything feels deeper, so the intro for Rock Raiders felt very immersive and the idea of being sucked into a wormhole with no way back scared the shit out of me.
My dad loved video games and introduced me to loads of games like Quake, Mechwarrior 2, Warcraft 2, and a lot of classics.
I can say that it's mostly FPS games aren't what they used to be. But when my interest in older games arose I realized that they would never make more of those games, which I would say is the moment I got it.
I love the mythology of the Myst series and they're probably never going to make a new one even if the game company is still alive. That hurts.

>> No.1031039

>>1029501
>how old are you?
1990-2000
SNES
>what were your top-5 games on your favorite console
1. Link to the Past
2. Super Metroid
3. Chrono Trigger
4. Donkey Kong Country 2
5. Yoshi's Island
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Mario Party series
The Cathedral in Thief
When games started getting casualized

>> No.1031093

>how old are you?

Prolly when I was 7-8 yrs old and played loads of NES games

NES

Mega Man 3, SMB3, Snake rattle n roll, TMNT2, RC Pro Am

Super Mario Bros

TMNT2

Hard to remember, but probably beating MM3 after never being able to beat the previous two.

Regenerating health, people using controllers over mouse+keyboard for fps games, mobas. One of these thingS.

>> No.1031097

>>1031023
Other than crash, you had my childhood.

>> No.1031104

>>1031093
The hardest era of vidya.

>> No.1031113
File: 697 KB, 1399x1049, 1370961762404.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
2002-2009
NES
Mega Man 2, Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3, Double Dragon 3, Metroid
Dunno, I think Wario Land 2 or Double Dragon 3
Double Dragon 3
Clearing Yoshi's Island on SNES for the first time
Never did.

>> No.1031117

>>1031003
It turns out i didn't get the last question, so i'm gonna answer it properly now
Well since the last decade games started to take all the wrong turns. I always hated fps games from the very beginnig (yeah even Doom and Goldeneye) but they're the most popular genre now, also game devs for some reason try to make realistic games and because of that, instead of artisticaly inspired colourful games we get dull looking and boring ones.
And let's not forget about motion gaming

>> No.1031123
File: 902 KB, 200x150, 1372375527454.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1031113
>2002-2009
>NES

>> No.1031131

>how old are you?
25, been gaming for 22 years now.
While I loved my SNES, I would have to say N64 days were the golden age (can you tell im a Nintendo kid?). Still love my NES too, but N64 was a good chunk of my childhood.
If i had to pick just one and never touch a different system, SNES, though Ill game on anything as long as the games are good on any normal day.
SMB3... Fuck you dude this is hard question... SMRPG, Kingdom Hearts (fuck you if you dont like it, I dont care), Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 (RIP Westwood), FF10, fuck... Diablo 2 theres six I could list 20+ im sure and wouldnt cover them all.
Super Mario Bros. 3, you never forget your first right? My earliest video game memories are watching my dad play it, then eventually taking it from him, I never got far while i was that young, but i still feel that sense of exploration I got when I would get the warp flutes and go get stomped in world 5-6.
>what game did you have the most fun playing with your friends? Diablo 2 no question.
>what was your top "feel" moment? Either the end of FF10 or the end of Kingdom Hearts. Feels are better with voice acting and older games just didnt have that.
DLC. Self explanatory, but I could go on for days about how its ruined many new games.

>> No.1031140

>>1031123
I interpreted "golden age of gaming" as the time period when I was most active playing games.

>> No.1031147

>how old are you?

8bits

Master System

Phantasy Star, Psycho Fox, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Black Belt

Double Dragon

Double Dragon

When I finally finished Lufia 2

32 bits era and those fucking ugly polygonal graphics became a trend, while SNES was doing great on 2d graphics

>> No.1031167

>20

>1997-2000

>PS1

>In no order:
- Vagrant Story
- Resident Evil 2
- Metal Gear Solid
- Xenogears
- Soul Reaver

>Playing Thief: The Dark Project, because as a kid that game freaked me the fuck out

>Goldeneye 007 and Marvel vs Capcom 2

>Not really sure I have one that's retro

>Probably when DOOM 3 came out. That was the first time I realized that a studio can become bad without doing anything inherently bad.

>> No.1031174

I fell out of Nintendo roughly around the Gamecube came out. I still had a GBA and bought games, but it just felt like something about Nintendo kind of changed. Like it wasn't for me anymore.

In general? 2005 and 2006, I think. When the PS3 come out of the gate like a fucking wet sack of shit (disappointing because of how good the PS1 and 2 was), the Wii was soulless casualware, and Xbawx 360 ushered in all of the dark, shameful practices and made them cool.

>> No.1031184
File: 39 KB, 250x349, 250px-PMTTYD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
Gamecube
SNES
Super Mario World, Tactics Ogre, Super Ghouls 'n' Ghpsts, FFV, Star Fox
Too young for that
Baldur's Gate
Feel is unfunny and you should feel bad for using it.
E3 2012

Pic sorta related, it's not retro, but it's perfection.

>> No.1031186

>how old are you?
10-12
PS (my only for a while, besides the hand-me-down NES), then the PS2 I bought with my hard-earned dough
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Crash Team Racing
Ape Escape
FFIX
FFIX
Have to include The Legend of Zelda (I used to watch my dad and uncle play all night)
Crash Team Racing
Anything in FFIX, and maybe X
trying to sludge through FFXII

>> No.1031193
File: 21 KB, 450x350, Reggienator.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
1989-1995
Genesis
1-Sonic 3 & Knuckles
2-Phantasy Star IV
3-Gunstar Heroes
4-Jurassic Park Rampage
5-Sonic 2
Probably Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast
Powerstone 2, Super Smash Bros, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Battletanks 64, GoldenEye 64, Halo 1 & 2, Mega Bomberman (Genesis)
Ending to Skies of Arcadia, Ending song to Phantasy Star Online
After the Dreamcast was dead and gamers lost SEGA as hardware company. Quirky games and Sega exclusives were now 3rd party and it disgusted me.

>> No.1031198

>How old are you?
>When was your 'golden age' of gaming?
It was all gold from when I was really young and my cousin set up a GBC and NES emu on my parent's shitty old comp and crammed it full of games. Everything from Punch-Out!!, FF1+2, Pokemon Blue/Green. After that I was hooked on gaming for years. A year or so into the PS2 I found out about emulating ps1 games and I spent an entire summer beating all these random rpgs and other games from the ps1 era. When my grandfather died (he was a huge vg collector), I got his obscene collection, with a nes, snes, ps1, ps2, xbox, GC, Saturn, Genesis, Sega CD, etc. Maybe I'm answering this question wrong, but honestly, I spent about 10 years of my (admittedly short) life surrounded by games, and I can't differentiate that in eras very well.
>What was your favourite console
PS1.
>What were your top 5 games on your favourite console?
1- Tony Hawk's 1
2- FF7
3- FFT
4- PE2
5- Powerslave
>What game gives you the deepest feeling of nostalgia?
Well, I remember way back when I tried to get into emulating myself a few years after my cousin had set us up, I remember getting up really early in the morning to use the dial-up before my parents woke up so I could try and find new games. The one I desperately wanted to find was Chrono Trigger. Of course, I didn't really know what I was doing, and I remember spending a week trying to find it, and finally I did and downloaded it. It was in fucking spanish (chalk it up to me being a fuckin' idiot). And then like the day after we got rid of the internet, and didn't get it again for years. Now, everytime I play it (which I have unashamedly done many times) I think of that.
>What game did you have the most fun playing with your friends?
Not /vr/, but Earth Defense Force. We played through it over the course of a couple weekends and fucking loved the shit out of it. Kept talking about how it sucked that we had to be war heroes when everyone around us was retarded (or worse, murdered by us).

>> No.1031203

>how old are you?
playstation1/n64
1-ff7
2-forsaken (n64 game)
3-resident evil (1&2)
4-super smash bros
5-legend of zelda oot
sonic 3 & knuckles (he blew up a spacestation for god sakes)
forsaken
ff7
the day xbox 360 came out. thought the wii was cool though and wanted it more than any of the other "next gen consoles". also the day i heard about DLC (i laughed so hard, they make you pay for it twice!)

>> No.1031204

>>1031198
>What was your top 'feel' moment?
For some reason being filled with the desire to not let any harm come to the little girl from PE2. Same shit worked for (not /vr/) that Walking Dead game.
>At what moment did you realize that gaming just wasn't what it used to be?
I don't think that gaming isn't as good as it used to be. I guess I'm just not currently interested in spending the time it takes to play through the kind of games I always enjoyed. It's more about me than the industry. I've tried playing Skyrim and Mass Effect and so on, but I just don't get interested like I used to. Though, if they ever make KOTOR 3, I'll probably eat my words and play the shit out of it.

>> No.1031206
File: 134 KB, 600x600, white-shit-sculpted-beef.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this entire thread is a shit post full of kids, which basically means that /vr/ is just a giant kiddy shit post party. I'm out.

>> No.1031209

>>1029679
>Secret of Evermore
Confirmed for guy who's probably a cool guy

>> No.1031215
File: 66 KB, 625x626, 1372131642135.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1031206
1/10 made me reply

>> No.1031219

>>1030360
>WoW
As much as I never want to play it again, I remember riding on private servers and just having a blast with friends over *cough* Ventrilo *cough*

>> No.1031225

>how old are you?
Sixth-gen, specifically the Gamecube
SNES
(In no particular order) Earthbound, Terranigma, SMW, FFV, and DQV
Paper Mario
We used to play the first Super Smash Bros, but now we play a lot of Melee and Brawl
Retro? The end of Terranigma. All-time? Either the entirety of Mother 3 or the end of Xenoblade.
During this last gen, when the industry shifted their interests to the audience that will probably move on to another hobby in a few years.

>> No.1031226

>>1030204
>Star Ocean: The Second Story
I've been meaning to replay this one forever. Such a fantastic game. The only problem is trying not to spend forever just trying to break the game with the Eternal Sphere just after the coliseum bit.

Or fucking grinding forever to buy the pickpocket glove and getting Mischief off whats-her-name in that port town.

>> No.1031227

>how old are you?
The 90s as a whole
SNES
Link to the Past, FF4/6, Super Mario World, ActRaiser
Lots, but probably Final Fantasy if I have to pick one
I played the shit out of some Marvel vs Capcom and TMNT with friends
I legitimately got sad when Palom and Porom got turned to stone in FFIV
It's been like that for a while, but probably when I realized that Bioware was truly dead (Dragon Age 2 or thereabouts) - but also for the past 5-6 years when I kept buying new popular games, trying to enjoy them, and wondering why I didn't like them

>> No.1031230

>>1030078
>Opening to Chrono Cross
Dat song.
Dat OST, really

>> No.1031249

>>1029501
>how old are you?
1990-2000
Dreamcast
1. Skies of Arcadia
2. Jet Set Radio
3. Samba De Amig
4. Space Channel 5
5. Sonic Adventure
NiGHTS
Super Bomberman
Chrono Trigger
Xbox 360, PS3, Wii. Just too many damn western developed big guy big gun shooter and Xbro culture in general...though, and not retro, I recently got back into portables since 2007 or so and I've been loving the 3DS/DS and to an extent the PS Vita and PSP and have been getting back into long gaming sessions..but on portables only, console gaming on the current machines for me is small. Also, why did I buy a Wii U at launch? Geez, that really made me realize the current consoles and next gens are boring me :-(.

>> No.1031278
File: 66 KB, 512x449, 1119249_m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029501
>>how old are you?
1996-2001, and a renaissance in 2002-2008, when I properly discovered first-party Nintendo games (before that I was a Sega/Sony kid, fav. companies were Square/Capcom/Konami/Treasure).
MegaDrive.
Light Crusader, Contra Hard Corps, Sonic 2, Ecco the Dolphin, Mortal Kombat II.
Final Fantasy VII, hilariously enough.
Either Ultimate Mortal Kombat III or Twisted Metal 2.
I was too old to laugh at Leddit jokes when Leddit appeared.
This only happens to dull people.

>> No.1031284
File: 1.83 MB, 356x352, 1372430147913.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?

'97-'99
N64, PC and PSX
That was the best for me. Could well have been because I was 11-13 years old though and I never quite enjoyed gaming again as much as I did in those years. There were just so many great games to play across those three systems and I was a kid. I especially loved 4 player local multiplayer on N64. Definitely my most cherished gaming memories... that and the first time I went to a LAN cafe to play CS1.6, Quake 3 etc when I was 15.

N64

Hard to say... no order.
- Super Smash Bros
- Mario Kart 64
- GoldenEye (though it really hasn't aged well at all unfortunately. Loved it back then however)
- Mario 64
- OoT
Honourable mention: WCW/nWO Revenge. We played the shit out of this game.

Super Mario World (SNES) or Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)

Mario Kart 64

Beating Zelda Link's Awakening the first time. I was seven or eight years old. It wasn't just the game's ending that got to me, it was also being upset that the game was over because I enjoyed it so much. Similar thing happened with OoT years later.

Probably a year or two into this gen. At least we got Demon's/Dark Souls. If it weren't for these two games I probably would have stopped gaming altogether by now.

>> No.1031301

>>1029927
First xbox then. Fuck their stupid god damn random naming. What fucking retard designed any of that console...

>> No.1031328
File: 388 KB, 647x631, 2DS bastard child.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029501
>21
>Pre-NES/'93-'02
>N64
>Space Station Silicon Valley, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1/3, Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time (I was poor and only had the basic games growing up)
>DOS game packs
>Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (N64) / Mario Kart 64 / Halo (Xbox)
>No feels
>Everything beyond the original Xbox just seems stale and more focused on online multiplayer, which I've never gotten into.

>> No.1031338

>how old are you?
late 90s to early 2ks
n64
Perfect Dark
Blast Corps
Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Mariokart
Eye of the Beholder
Micromachines with 6-8 players
Something in Max Payne
The change from adventure to action

>> No.1031345

>how old are you?
mid and late 90's
n/a
n/a
Half Life
Duke Nukem 3D
Nam
Wolfenstein 3D
Whacky Wheels
Rainbow Six
Police Quest
etc.
All of them
I had so many
I stopped playing games because we couldn't afford to keep updating the computer systems. I never got to play Farcry or Halo. I'm still waiting to get a computer which would run Half Life 2. I haven't played that yet.

>> No.1031384

>>1029501
>how old are you?
1997 when I got my SNES
SNES
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario world
Battletoads in battlemaniacs
Contra 3: The alien wars
The legend of Zelda: a link to the past
Chrono trigger
Mortal Kombat 2
The Death of chrono, I tought I did something wrong...
Playing the "realistic" GTA4... that game just screamed "no more fun for you!"...

>> No.1031386

>how old are you?
'98-'99, got my first Game Boy Color
Nintendo GameCube (inb4 not retro)
1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
2. Super Mario Sunshine
3. Super Smash Bros Brawl
4. Super Monkey Ball 2
5. Sonic Mega Collection
Super Mario Bros 3
Playing Donkey Konga. Shits fun yo.
Hearing "Dancing Mad" for the first time. That and the end credits of Link to the Past.

>> No.1031390

>>1029501

>how old are you?
Didn't really existed. The early developers had a lot of good and original ideas but often problems to actually implement them. Today it's often the opposite.
PC master race
PlanescapeTorment, HoMM3, AoE2, Star Craft, Dwarf Fortress
Planescape Torment
HoMM3 I guess
Planescape Torment
As I noticed how few games are actually able to create a good world and setting.
As I noticed how fucking close a lot of games to: "press button" are.
As I noticed how developers are unable to fix problems which a game has in a sequel.
As I noticed how a lot games these days are not any more about solving problems and thinking but instead just about
following instuctions and looking at nice graphics.
A lot of retro games weren't really much better.

>> No.1031412
File: 1.57 MB, 320x240, KACHO ON.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1029501
>How old are you?
I'm 18.
My personal "golden age" is a bit skewed. I grew up with an NES and Genesis my dad had in my very early years, then had a PS1 for a little while, and then went straight into Gamecube/PS2/GBA.
Back then I preferred the NES and PS1. Nowadays I might have to give it to SNES after emulating it.
Megaman X, Aladdin, Super Metroid, Turtles in Time, Kirby Superstar
Mario 3's first world.
Only going by retro, then probably Starfox 64 at my friend's place. All my friends but me would probably say Starcraft, though. They all love that shit.
I was terrible at games as a kid (still am kind of), so when I was actually able to beat Reapermon in Digimon Rumble Arena after several tries I was blown away.
Probably seeing what Capcom's become.

>> No.1031418

>21
>Summers of 2001 an 2002 when I was doing nothing but playing Diablo 2 all day when parents were at work
>Ps1
>Spyro (only the first one), Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo 2, Twisted Metal 2, Need for Speed III
>Hearing the soundtrack of Neverwinter Nights. Me and my step dad really bonded over that for some reason
>Didn't really have a lot of friends growing up, so I guess N/A
>The Butcher's "fresh meat"
>i don't think there was a single moment when that transpired

>> No.1031420

>>1029501

>how old are you?

96-2000

Does it have to be a console? My favourite is PC games from that era, if I had to pick a console it would probably be the snes

Master of Orion II, Diablo, Netstorm: Islands at War, Duke Nukem 3d, Operation Flashpoint

Super Mario Brothers

Diablo

I don't do that shit

Maybe 2003-2004

>> No.1031423

>how old are you?

1992-2002

a tie between SNES and N64

Banjo-Tooie
Super Mario World
Majoras Mask
Yoshis Island
Ocarina of Time

when i get back to an old game and hear the background music or see the outdated but lovely designed textures.

Mario party 3

the final boss battle in Donkey Kong 64, when funky kong shot that Boot-Bazooka at the Krocodile King. the neighbours girl had cancer and she was at my house. she laughed her ass off at the scene. a few months she passed away. they are too many "feel moments" to mention here.

when i got Final Fantasy XIII and played through it. gaming wasn't about gameplay and
innovation no more. it turned into qte, or movies with less interaction.

>> No.1031456

everybody posts, nobody reads

>> No.1031491

>how old are you?

Mid-late NES - SNES era.

NES

Mega Man II, SMB, DQ1, Little Nemo: The Dream Master, SMB3.

Oh man, way too many give me tons of nostalgia to pick one that gives me a deepest feeling of it.

Pokemon, probably.

When Robo gets beat up by the other robits.

I don't know if I really had one moment, it was more of a gradual process.

>> No.1031498

>>1031456
I've been reading just not commenting. A lot of these choices are really personal and my own inability to understand the feelings people have for the N64 would probably come off as trolling.

>> No.1031502

>>1029501
>>how old are you?
I want to say when I was a kid, but technically it's the past few years because I have the ability and interest to emulate alot of really good games I never played growing up so where alot of people grew up waiting months to play a new great game, in a week I play those games and it's like BOOM Metroid! BOOM Mother! BOOM Castlevania! BOOM Metal Gear!
I gotta say the NES. It just introduced so many great franchises that are still going on to this day.
Kirby's Adventure, Metroid, Super Mario Bros 3, Dig Dug, MG2.
In order of Nostalgiaboner: Donkey Kong 64, Super Mario 64, and Banjo Kazooie.
Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA
I'm assuming you mean sad moment and not nostalgia feels? It would probably have to be Kingdom Hearts 2 (I know, I know) when Roxas goes through all that shit at the beginning and finds out he isn't even real. Just the thought of finding out my friends and family don't even know me because I'm not even real makes me sad as fuck.
When I got a computer for high school and started emulating games on it. Then I looked back at Cawadooty: Modern Ops 5 and realized that the industry was mostly shit now.

>> No.1031570
File: 71 KB, 640x441, b64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
Pretty much from birth up until around 2005/6
N64
Bomberman 64, Starfox 64, Doom 64, Gauntlet: Legends, Silicon Valley
Bomberman 64 seeing as how I haven't played it in over 10 years
Bomberman 64
When I got home from the store and played HoMM4 and it sucked. HoMM3 is my favorite game ever
2004. When MP2, Half-Life 2, Halo 2 and MGS3 all got perfect scores from every magazine I realized that reviewers just give high scores to either games they like or games that are popular.

>> No.1031594

>23
>1995-2000
>pc master race
>nfs1, oddworld: abe's oddysee, seek&destroy, tyrian2000, ms-fs'98
>skyroads; the neverhood chronicles
>fifa rtwc '98
>-
>2008 +/- 2 years

>> No.1031592

>>1029871
>favorite developers

And who might they be?

>> No.1031634
File: 251 KB, 1280x624, tumblr_msafar9YLR1sh11zoo1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
I'm turning 25 next month.
16-bit era.
Megadrive.
Shining Force II, Thunder Force IV, Sonic 1, Revenge of Shinobi, MUSHA.
Chrono Trigger
Super Smash Bros or Goldeneye
Believe it or not, the beginning of stage 5 in Thunder Force V, when you launch into outer space.
I haven't. I simply don't care.

>> No.1031706

>>1029501
>how old are you?
SNES days, and now, and I only see it getting better as immersive virtual reality gaming gets closer to existence
SNES
Megaman X
Megaman X3
Puzzle Bobble
Demon's Crest
Tetris Attack
Megaman X
perfect dark, diddy kong racing, super smash bros
Megaman X gets boots for the first time
I feel like games are getting better

>> No.1031731
File: 171 KB, 448x480, 1374972680443.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
1999-2006
N64
Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Pokemon Stadium, Super Smash Bros.
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
The end of Super Mario 2, When it was all a dream
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge Of Cerberus

>> No.1031745

>>1031731
Lame villains aside why the hate for Dirge?

>> No.1031798

>how old are you?

16 bit era. I had gotten a Sega Genesis 3 for christmas. They still sold the Genesis and even the games in 1998 at walmart and they were still like 100 bucks. I had at least 32 games for that bad boy until my dad sold it to get me an N64 Pokemon Stadium bundle. I remember making everyone jealous because I had the only Stadium bundle therefore I was the only kid in town with the Holographic Cool Porygon Promo card.

The Sega Genesis for sure, grew up with great titles like Sonic the Hedgehog, Battle Toads and Streets of Rage.

Sonic and Knuckles, Streets of Rage, Columns, Battle Toads and Sonic Spinball. Though as I got older I discovered new games and its pretty much the same but replace Streets of Rage with Streets of Rage 2, and replace columns with Phantasy Star IV.

>what game gives you the deepest feeling of nostalgia? Ocarina of Time

>what game did you have the most fun playing with your friends? Streets of Rage

When Knuckles relized he was duped by Dr. Robotnik in Sonic and Knuckles.

>at what moment did you finally realize that gaming just wasn't what it used to be (dat "aha" moment)? Theres 2 for me. They keep rehashing and porting old titles in "HD" rather than coming up with new game ideas. And then theres call of Duty, they just keep making game after game after game and its all the same generic, repetitive WWII bullshit. I really don't have any hope for the future what with the Xbox One being a Call of Duty machine.

>> No.1031812

>how old are you?

1996-2007.

Nintendo 64.

Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Majora's Mask, Bomberman 64, and Paper Mario.

Probably Super Mario 64 since it was my first home console game.

Either Smash Bros. or Mario Party.

As far as retro is concerned, a lot of the story with Majora's Mask. In particular the story behind the Deku Mask. That hits me.

When I picked up the Xbox 360 in 2008. Surprisingly it's the only home console I've sold out of sheer disappointment.

>> No.1031864

>how old are you?
1998-2001, but lots of real gems before then
NES? I've basically always preferred PC.
NES/PC
1-Super Mario Brothers 3 / Thief
2-The Legend of Zelda / System Shock 2
3-Super Mario Brothers / The Pandora Directive
4-TMNT / Ultima 7
5-Willow / Doom
Thief
SMB3 two-player battle mode. My sister and I played it way too much back in the day.
When I finished The Pandora Directive and realized I could never play it for the first time ever again.
When DRM, including "leasing" systems like Steam, became so pervasive I couldn't buy games anymore. It was one thing when companies maybe didn't care whether a game could be played decades after they went out of business, but its another to put up obstacles like this. It just feeds into the idea of games as consumables, and striving more for creating a hit franchise than a singular masterpiece.

>> No.1031894

>how old are you?

4th gen

Megadrive yes eurofag

Streets of Rage 2
Sanic 1
Jungle Strike
Mutant League Football
Streets of Rage 3

EA hockey

WWF Royal Rumble on SNES

Shenmue 2 - The main theme orchestra version playing during ending credits

The FPS boom last decade

>> No.1031936
File: 122 KB, 288x288, tatsuyafeels.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
1993-2001
Playstation
女神異聞録ペルソナ
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
ペルソナ2 罪 / 罰
SaGa Frontier
LSD
Revelations: Persona
Friends?
Hearing this music: http://youtu.be/ihK-pxTa5Oc
I was at home in my parent's basement watching late night TV on a tiny 8" set, New Years eve 2000. Just all-of-a-sudden knew the 00s would suck really hard somehow.

>> No.1031979

>how old are you?

My personal golden age was probably 97-03

SNES

In no particular order: LoZ:LttP, SMB, DKC2
Last 2 go out to DOOM2 and DukeNukem3D

Playing co-op DOOM2/HeXen with my dad.

Easily SSB and Gauntlet: Legends/Dark Legacy later in life

Dragon Quest VI, pretty much every plot point of the game was a feel moment for me.

When I sat down with my best bro (Who i played Legends and Dark Legacy with) and played Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows.

>> No.1032071

>how old are you?
30, turning 31 next month
8-bit/16-bit era
Tie between the Sega Master System 2 and the NES, I wasn't priveleged enough to play the Genesis until years later, when Polygonal Graphics began becoming vogue
NES/SMS2
The Guardian Legend/The Ninja
Dragon Quest 1/Wonder Boy in Monster Land
SMB2/Rambo:First Blood Part2
The Legend of Zelda 1-2:AoL/Safari Hunt
Maniac Mansion/Psycho Fox

I got introduced to PC Gaming later on, when my parents refused to buy a console for me after the kerfuffle over MK and digitized blood. They thought I'd grow up to become a serial killer if they did.
Cruising through different Planetary Sectors whilst listening to the awesome music soundtrack from The Guardian Legend or trying to beat my former Score/Hit Ratio on The Ninja
Honestly, Maniac Mansion. I was a kid when I had that one, so me and my friends used to get rug burns acting like retards jamming to air guitar whilst playing the piano in the Den. That and making the house go up in a huge meltdown. Lots of lulz to be had. We did it just for that.
When I finally beat Guardian Legend. So many goddamned levels, so many bosses. I was exhausted, but exhilarated.
Probably during the Madden and CoD Franchises. I never had the hate-on for Poly Gfx like some retro's have, even though I started gaming on the Commodore 64. I even liked how they expanded how many dimensions one could explore/act in. But once studios began releasing "Try Madden 98, the same game as Madden 97," I started drifting off to PC Gaming. I've stayed as a Hybrid Gamer since, in regards to the Console Wars.

>> No.1032163
File: 5 KB, 449x579, pacman_key.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>how old are you?
Way too old to be posting on 4chan
Playing (but mostly watching other people play) arcade games in the early 80's. It's hard to convey to the young'uns the feeling of living in a world where computers were a rare, expensive, exotic luxury that only other people had, and then seeing these colorful machines where you could actually CONTROL what was on the screen! It blew my impressionable young mind.
I had severe Colecovision envy that was only cured when I got a NES.
Goonies 2, Ultima: Exodus, Super Mario Brothers, Gradius, Castlevania 3
Hard to say, it all still feels like yesterday.
Air-Sea battle
When I munched a key in Pac-Man. Then excitedly pointing out the row of fruit ending in a key at the bottom of the screen to the other kids. Then later that day some jerk grown-up finished a game with seven keys on the screen.
When some faggots in a kiosk were selling floppy disks with shareware games, everyone was freaking out over Castle Wolfenstein 3D. I checked it out and thought, "damn, that looks like shit. I hope this '3D' doesn't become a 'thing'".

>> No.1032203

>how old are you?
To be honest, Between 93 and 05, even though I was born in 93.
SNES
1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Kart
3. Desert Strike
4. Doom
5. Super Soccer
(The only 5 SNES games I owned until now)
Desert Strike. Loved it as a kid.
Super Mario Kart.
Getting my own console, and games that I could comprehend.
Call of Duty and mass prodduction of sequels.

>> No.1032218

>>1029501
>how old are you?
I can't really name a time when "the best" games were being made. Sorry.
I am going to get thisisbait.jpg so bad for this, but I say PC, because it can emulate everything else.
Starcraft, Minecraft, Steel Panthers:WWII can't decide on the rest.
"Bad" games I played as a kid (Terminator for Gameboy etc.)
Age of Empires II and Halo 2
Some of the death scenes in Starcraft, tied with the random deaths of characters in Fire Emblem games.
When I realized that
Starcraft>Starcraft II
Diablo II>Diablo III
Bioshock>Bioshock II
Dragon Age>Dragon Age II
Halo>Halo 2
Mass Effect>Mass Effect II

>> No.1032267

>how old are you?

1998-2001(on a PC)

What was or what is? My favorite console is Mega Drive.

My favorite games on Mega Drive ARE Contra Hard Corps, Bare Knuckle 3, Comix Zone, Shinobi 3, Gunstar Heroes, Rock and Roll Racing

Usagi Yojimbo on Commodore 64

hmmm, not really sure. I had a lot of fun with Tekken 3 and 5, Heroes 3, Virtua Tennis 2... but i think i had the most with Unreal Tournament 99.

end of Mother 3

This is a shitty question. What it used to be WHEN? In the 70s, 80s, 90s???Gaming was constantly changing from the start...

>> No.1032276

>>1031498
>A lot of these choices are really personal and my own inability to understand the feelings people have
That is literally autism.

>> No.1032279

>>1032163
>Way too old to be posting on 4chan
There is no such thing. We have a 50 year old guy on /fa/.

>> No.1032282

>>1031634
I only played SNES DBZ on emulators. That picture is making me mad jelly.

>> No.1032292

>how old are you?
SNES era to PS2 era. I don't care much for the HD generation. Something has changed for the worse and I can't put my finger on it. Games feel much less tight and focused these days (of course there are exceptions, don't bother arguing with me on this). Like they're all trying to be too many things at once. Not only that but most of them look and feel the same due to the pursuit of 'immersion' and 'realism'. Some game companies seem to forget that they're even making fucking games in the first place.
I hate naming favorites, but I think the SNES defined my childhood when it came to games.
Yoshi's Island, Street Fighter 2, Terranigma, Link to the Past, Mega Man and Bass
It'd have to be something I haven't played in a long time. Something I can still view with rose-tinted glasses...original Pokemon Silver I guess? it reminds me of a more innocent time of my life anyway.
Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Pokemon, any fighting game, we also took turns getting emblems in sonic adventure 2 and marathoned the whole thing in a weekend, crazy shit.
This is a cliche but when Celes jumped off the cliff in FF6, I just wasn't expecting attempted suicide in a fucking SNES game.
When I watched a friend play Skyrim, Fable 3, Borderlands and a bunch of other shit that all basically mashed together into the same thing in my mind. I also realized that gameplay hasn't advanced much at all, just graphics. FF13 sealed the deal on that one.

>> No.1032302

>CTRL+F: C64/Commodore 64
3 results

>CTRL+F: Amiga
0 results

Disappointing ;-;

>> No.1032306

>>1032292
>This is a cliche but when Celes jumped off the cliff in FF6, I just wasn't expecting attempted suicide in a fucking SNES game

It doesn't matter. That was a feel for the ages.

>> No.1032431

>>1029501
i'm 28 as well.
>How old are you?
28 as I said
>golden age of gaming?
early 90s, though 1995 comes to mind, chrono trigger was released and it was the height of the SNES era and N64 was getting hyped. Some good PC games around then too like Master of Orion and such.
>favorite console
SNES, without a doubt
>top 5 games on my favorite console
Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X2, E.V.O. The Search For Eden, Rock N Roll Racing, Pilotwings
>games giving me the most nostalgia
Chrono Trigger, Super Mario Brothers, Rock N Roll Racing, Sim City for SNES, the really old stuff like Popeye, Burgertime, and Kung Fu
>game I had the most fun playing with friends
Bomberman 64
>top feel moment
the fight against magus in chrono trigger, or when you're about to fight lavos and the dialogue prior
>aha moment
PS3 era and the dewritos and cowadooty

>> No.1032442

I'm 29 and I have never yet found an era that I enjoyed as psx. Devs at the top of their game along with 3d being new so it was more about innovation than graphics

>> No.1032539

>>1029501
>how old are you?

Don't have on, I think every era has something worth playing

PC

1. Morrowind
2. Doom
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. Skull Girls
5. Mount and Blade

Kirby 64 or Yoshi's Story. When I was a kid we were kind of poor so we only rented games, taking turns with 2 other brothers. Whenever my turn came up I'd take one of those motherfuckers. Brothers hated it but I did so I could finish them.

Played a lot of Golden Eye with them as a kid, Castle Crashers later.

When I got the shotgun in Doom. Incredibly satisfying.

I think there's some good stuff coming out today. New Vegas, Hotline Miami and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger were neat. Wasteland 2 is coming out.

If it's not obvious I'm mostly here for recommendations so I can expand my tastes.

>> No.1033808

>how old are you?

Somewhere between 90 and 04.

I had an Apple computer with System 9 when I was young, but in 1999 or so I got my first Windows computer, so PC all the way.

Thief and Thief 2, Myst, Hardwar, Doom.
No particular order.

LEGO Rock Raiders, I used to play a lot when I was young because I didn't have many games.

Serious Sam, I used to play it with my friends and with my brother in splitscreen.

The last bunch of levels in Thief. The ending was kind of a disappointment, I expected more that just the Trickster falling down and just staying there.

Around 2007, probably.
The thing that struck me the most was when I played a bit of Uncharted on some friend's PS3, don't remember which. The game didn't really play great; the controls were unresponsive, the shooting was unsatisfying and the platforming was just a matter of finding the right path, but it felt like a movie and I guess that's why people like it so much.

>> No.1033813
File: 37 KB, 304x418, alphabetzoo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1032302
If one of the questions had been "what was the first platform you gamed on" I would have answered C64.

>> No.1033821

>how old are you?
5th and 6th generation
Initially gamecube, but recently PS2 has been shaping up equally.
Tales of Symphonia, Thousand Year door, Wind Waker, Amazing Island, and Super Mario Sunshine
Any Pokemon/Zelda or early Tales of games games (Pokemon snap was my first)
007 games, Any Multiplayer mario and Pokemon
Everything in MOTHER 3
After The Call of duty/Halo generation and the publicity that turned everyone into a "gamer" because of it.

>> No.1033868

>how old are you?
1980 to 1990
console? fuck you! Arcade, Commodore Vic-20, C-64, Amiga
Are you kidding? I played tens of thousands of games. Too many great ones.
see previous answer
friends? what is friends?
Escaping the police at the Silents copyparty in 198?
Hagbard setting himself on fire after getting caught selling hacked pentagon info to the ruskis.
I live in the past and in denial.
Seeing on legendary software house after another disappearing into multinational conglomerates or going bankrupt.

>> No.1033883

>>1033813
My first game experience was pooyan on some pc that used cassette tapes. Black Cauldron followed after

>> No.1034028

>how old are you?

Late 1998 - 2001, when Squaresoft was at the peak of its RPG output on the PlayStation and the expansion pak N64 games were being released (along with Pokemon Gold & Silver and the Oracle games)

Speaking generally, GameCube. Retro wise, it's the N64.

>what were your top 5 games on your favorite console?
GameCube: F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime, SSBM, Tales of Symphonia, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
N64: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros., F-Zero X, Star Wars Episode I Racer

Duck Hunt, SMB3, and OoT are all pretty much tied

Smash 64

Realizing the sadness in all the Sages' lives in OoT, especially Saria's.

Honestly, when Microsoft entered the market, and when Sega left it. I remember it seeming so strange to me that Sega was no longer there, and the type of crowd Microsoft brought in seemed like the type that inhabited PC gaming at the time. To this day I blame Microsoft for destroying the unique identity of console gaming and starting the trends that lead to the industry now.

>> No.1034054

>all these people saying 1998-2001 was the peak
Fuck yeah

>> No.1034625

>>1031184

>tfw no TTYD sequel

>> No.1034789

>>1032276
You've never met an autistic person have you?

People with autism are functionally impaired to the point its sad and lonely. And they are usually so socially inept they would not have hesitated, if they are able to speak/write which is not likely, to tell people the N64 is great for nostalgia with friends, but was a total piece of shit in all other regards whose games have aged like fossilized dino turds even by retro standards.