[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 408 KB, 1192x1022, how to correctly kill Kefka.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10282818 No.10282818 [Reply] [Original]

Before I kill Kefka, I always ensure that Terra has the ability to kill him in a single turn (consisting of eight blows, Morph + Offering + Genji Glove + suitable weapons + sufficient strength). And that she is equipped with her father's remains when she does so. :)

>> No.10282826

>Kefka wasn't around for the invasion of the Esper's world
>Kefka killed the Emperor who was responsible for the invasion and the killing of all the Espers to create magicite
Celes has far more reason to want revenge than Terra does.

>> No.10282862

>>10282826

Other characters have far more reason to hate him, yes, but Terra can do him in one shot and she can (voluntarily!) wear dad's remains while she's doing it. Also she's the lead, y'know. You could strengthmaxxx a specific character but I prefer a rounded approach.

Also, the existence of the Imp's armor kit, hidden within the game, also implies a fun optional challenge: do the Kefka sequence with an all-imp party. This is trivially do-able at level 99 (just spam attacks and items while wearing appropriate relics), but it may be more interesting at lower levels.

>> No.10282907

>>10282818
But many other party members have good reasons to want their revenge on Kefka.

>> No.10282923

kefka tower fucking ruined the pacing of this game

>JUST GRIND 30 LEVELS 3 TIMES USING 3 DIFFERENT PARTIES BECAUSE KEFKA TOWER REQUIRES 3 ENTIRE PARTIES BRO!

>> No.10282950

>>10282923
always stopped playing here, but then again i rarely finished jrpgs

>> No.10283009

>>10282923
Just switch out party members regularly throughout the game. You were never meant to neurotically use the same few characters for the entire run of the game.

>> No.10283025

>>10282923
>>10282950
>split your main 4 into the 3 parties
>fill with others
>others act as helpers/item monkeys while mains carry them
If you've only been powerleveling 4 people all game long, then they should be strong enough to carry the rest. Provided you've done all the side-quests in the World of Ruin, then most of the characters should have some sort of edge.
Edgar should be fine with Drill, Flash, and Chainsaw, Sabin should have his best Blitz, Strago should have Grand Train, your magic users should have healing and basic elemental damage spells if not Pearl and Ultima, any party with Mog shouldn't have to worry about random encounters, Gau should have 1-2 good rages, Gogo can use Tools and Lores or anything you want really, Shadow should have a decent supply of throwing weapons, and Cyan should be dual-welding and doing incredible damage with basic attacks. If Terra, Celes, and Relm covers magic users, then that's 11 out of the required 12. Stick anyone in the 12th slot with Mog and it won't matter since they will only have to deal with bosses.
If you are really tight on equipment, you can always unequip everything before you switch to the next party and give your current party all the best gear. It's a little more work but it gets the job done if you really need to have the Illumina in every battle.

>> No.10283026

>>10282923
>not beating the kefka tower with just Celes, Edgar and Setzer
filthy casual

>> No.10283050

>>10282923
Yeah it does and what sucks is Kefka himself is a joke compared to the tower. It sucked to kill him in 2 minutes after years of everyone hyping him up.

>> No.10283076
File: 227 KB, 1094x957, How to correctly collect items.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just look at all these items that I have got! There are exactly four X-ethers to be got in the game, and I have got every single one!

>> No.10283078

>>10282818
>I don't always blog, but when I do I do it with maximum autism
Liked and upvoted

>> No.10283091
File: 970 KB, 3276x961, 999999999.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10283078

Just look at all of these 9s! Everyone has nine nines! Can Gogo and Umaro ever get nine nines? the answer is nein!

>> No.10283129

>>10282818
I just did the math on this shit. The very earliest that Terra can one-shot Kefka (without Quick abuse, that is) is at level 73, assuming max Vigor and using either two Atma Weapons (by stealing from Sleep) or an Atma Weapon plus either Ragnarok or Illumina, obviously at full health, Morphed, and while in the front row. This setup at that level will juuuuuuust barely 100% guarantee a one-shot, even if you were to get the lowest RNG damage every single shot.
>t. had fuck all to do during the pandemic and obsessively got into FFVI's algorithms

>> No.10283135

>>10283129
Oh, I should say if you go with double Atma Weapons, you don't need to be Morphed, as defense-ignoring weapons and spells (save for the Fixed Dice) ignore the Morph multiplier, so you can do without it. It's absolutely necessary otherwise.

>> No.10283143

>>10283091
idk man, Kefka might still win. He's a crafty one.

>> No.10283148
File: 1.84 MB, 1465x1080, Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.0) [!] - Ted Woolsey Uncensored-230513-213047.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10282862
Terra is so good she can actually solo the entire final battle by herself, even at low levels. Of course, that's mostly thanks to 128 MBlock setups, which makes her invincible to everything except some of Kefka's attacks, and as long as you keep up Life 3, it's more than doable. Pic related was around level 20.

>> No.10283162
File: 129 KB, 1508x922, How to correctly play Final Fantasy VI.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10283129

Just look at this one-sheet overview for a maximalist/completionist run which I can refer back to any time at my convenience!

Question: objectively, what is the most USEFUL conventional magic spell in the entire game? And what is the quantitative evidence within the game (apart from its obvious usefulness) which indicates that this is so? Hint: it isn't Ultima.

>> No.10283238

everyone talking about beating kefka with terra.

has anyone tried beating the Kefka Tower with ONLY the required characters from WoR (Celes, Edgar, Setzer) without any of the optional ones? that's a really cool challange IMO

>> No.10283261

>>10283238
I'll probably try it one day, though I can't see it being all that difficult provided you do all the sidequests that don't net you the extra characters. Sure, this does mean missing out on a few really powerful items and spells, but even without them, you can make your characters powerhouses with the right setup. I can see Celes breezing by with a 128 MBlock setup based around the Enhancer and Force Shield and Armor, and so could Edgar for that matter. Setzer can't do that so his path would be tougher for sure, but then again, you might be able to get him all the Imp equipment and still Fixed Dice the shit out of everything regardless.

>> No.10283310

>>10283162
probably cure 2

>> No.10283359
File: 157 KB, 1763x1289, how to correctly and autistically over-analyze the espers.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10283310

Ding ding ding! You are correct! Cure 2 is the single most USEFUL conventional spell in the game! It becomes a very welcome addition to the repertoire in the middle of the game, and it remains effective enough throughout the bulk of the rest of the game that it remains very important. Even if you over-level to the point of growing your HP, Cure 2 remains a very powerful and economical way of keeping everyone on their feet while at the same time conserving MP.

Furthermore, Cure 2 is (technically) taught by five distinct espers. No other spell in the game can be learned from so many espers. This is the game's way of saying "seriously, teach this to everyone". Even Shadow, who doesn't have much opportunity to learn magic in the World of Balance, can (and should) be quickly and easily taught Cure 2 and some other basic stuff around the point of Thamasa/Floating Continent.

>> No.10283437

>>10282923
>Strago been dead weight this whole game for you? GOOD NEWS WE THREW LIKE 80% OF HIS SPELL LIST IN HERE AND WE WON'T TELL YOU WHICH PATH HE SHOULD BE ON FOR THEM
>SPOILERS: IT'S ALL THE PATHS

>> No.10283502

>>10282818
Dommy mommy

>> No.10283534

>>10282923
>>10283026
My main party was Terra, Edgar, Setzer, and Mog. I think I just assigned one of them to each party to carry the other shitters and that was enough to get through

>> No.10283567

>>10283534
That's the way. So long as you have them properly kitted out with the best bullshit gear, your mains can easily carry their team.

>> No.10283693
File: 211 KB, 1657x1602, how to correctly opine on the relative merits of the relics as unequal 'quintiles'.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10283534

>not respecting Sabin and Shadow

Sabin is excellent at low levels and throughout the entire game, both for his better blitzes and also because he has one of the highest overall stat spreads. Once he gets a decent magical repertoire on top of that he's very difficult for enemies to deal with. Being an affable Chad certainly doesn't hurt, either. When Celes first comes across him in Tzen (assuming traditional gameplay), this comes as a major relief because others have survived and he symbolizes that hope. Shadow has always been a personal favorite for the Offering + Genji Glove combo, his whole character is being a badass ninja anyway so just put him on hyper-attack throughout World of Ruin and leave magic and other attack types to others.

Setzer is a blah gimmicky character who is only valuable for his airship(s) and his dice. We only love him for his money (and the single worst relic in the game, the Coin Toss, which enables you to throw money at your problem). Still, the Dice/Fixed Dice + Offering/Genji Glove are (statistically) reliable for easy Colosseum wins to score the exotic equipment, but this is a late stage activity and not critical to the core story. Mog is also a bit gimmicky, his main value is the Moogle Charm access. He can be boosted to give powerful attacks like anybody else but his Dance isn't a workhorse, and he's not a great caster. Lastly, Strago is statistically weak by design in the story, but if you've been exploring thoroughly, Step Mine is a very good if expensive "just make the damage happen" spell in the middle of the game before Ultima is accessible. Also, Lores are just cool, although spendy.

>>10283437

Just one, really. (Dark Force is an out for one of the two, although one of the gods is the easiest way to get that one).

>> No.10283701

>kill magus
>sell his trash amulet to a nu
he barely talks and his techs suck

>> No.10283719

>>10283693
Safety Bit/Momento Ring protects only against Death/Lv5 Death, I don't think it does anything against random 1-hit kill special attacks or abilities that don't use the Death spell or Lv5 Death lore. They really shouldn't have said it prevents against "instant death".

>> No.10283757

>>10283693
I'll respectfully disagree on Mog. His dances do indeed suck once you get to the WoR (they're fucking amazing in the WoB, though, for the few parts of it that you get to use him in), but for me his main value isn't just in the Moogle Charm, but also in the fact that he's a nigh-invincible tank. It does require that you fetch the Snow Muffler, which requires hunting for a Behemoth Suit, and you need his full Dragoon setup with the Pearl Lance for him to do great damage, so he does take a bit of work to kit him up, but it's not too hard to do. IMO he's one of the best ones to give the Paladin Shield to, though it's not strictly necessary.

>> No.10283872
File: 58 KB, 1135x892, how to correctly and autistically describe the actualy status protection of relics in SNES FFVI.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10283719

I did a fairly rigorous (but not perfect) check on the slightly buggy Woolsey SNES (the only version of the game that counts as far as I'm concerned), and I found that pretty much everyone who lands an insta-kill blow does so reliably on those equipped with those two, agreeing with what you said. Would be amusing to check if it helps against one of those ceiling-bot guys or Doom Gaze, who like to cast that stuff. I don't think I did that.

>>10283757

I respect your knowledge-based opinion. Also, the totally unfair Snow Muffler is (IIRC) hard-coded to Mog and Gau (and Umaro, from whom it can never be un-equipped). When you "un-equip" everyone, it leaves Umaro's equipped relics (if any) still equipped. I think this is because they wanted his inaccessible "basic equipment" screen to keep his Bone Club and Snow Muffler on him, no matter what, while overlooking in the programming that the basic equipment spaces and the relic spaces are two different things. The main twelve all have seven slots: two hand items (mixture of weapons and shields), body armor, helmet, two relics, one esper. Gogo has six (no esper), and although only Umaro's relics can be changed, he does in fact have one weapon and one armor equipped in full-party status check.

By the above remark on the Snow Muffler, I meant that (IIRC) not even the Merit Award allows anyone else to equip the Snow Muffler. It's one of the exceptional armors that way. When you do a deep dive on armor types, it turns out that Relm enjoys the widest overall range of options. Basically, she gets to wear lots of cute outfits if she wants (moogle suit, Beret, Cat Hood etc).

>> No.10283884
File: 926 KB, 546x1318, the travails of a king.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10283872
Can Relm equip the Minerva Bustier with the Merit Award? This is important.

>> No.10283918

>>10283502
that's celes

>> No.10284157

>>10283162
>fight 2 dobermans, not 3
Is that for optimal veldt patterns?

>> No.10284218
File: 57 KB, 856x883, how to correctly forget which armors are not restricted by the Merit Award.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10284157

Yes. You only get one (missable!) crack at the Dobermans in the Doma camp, and it's randomly one of two things: a formation of two of them, or three of them. You get one of the two and that's what's saved in the game. When I'm playing seriously I like to get Gau all 51 possible rages as early as possible, and that includes the Doberman rage. At that stage in the game it cycles through 16 series of quasi-random encounters. It's best to have the Doberman two-pack, it has less chance to interfere with the Telstar, which spams and competes with the three-Doberman formation.

I would like to do an optimal analysis about rare Veldt encounters, but haven't seen about it yet.

>>10283884

If by the Minerva Bustier you mean the Minerva, then I believe that in the case of the only version that counts (Woolsey SNES), Relm can never possibly equip the excellent Minerva armor, which confers wonderful elemental magic protection. It's strictly a woman's garment, not for a girl. I made this thing a while back but I don't remember the exact meanings of colors. It's closely related to the idea of what the Merit Award can and cannot do, but as I note elsewhere, the Merit Award is really just a novelty, it isn't important and it doesn't break the game in a fun or stupidly useful way.

>> No.10284326
File: 792 KB, 1465x1080, Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.0) [!] - Ted Woolsey Uncensored-230929-001857.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10284218
Anon, I kneel to your FFVI autism. Have a screenshot of my failure to beat Kefka around level 20 with an extremely shitty team consisting of Mog, Sabin, Locke and Shadow at around levels 19 to 22. Shadow and Sabin bit the dust at the third tier, and I neglected to equip anyone else, so I got Edgar and Terra with nothing on. Even so, I got very close to beating him just by jumping nonstop with Mog carrying his ultimate setup, but unfortunately he barely managed not to miss a Goner.

>> No.10284687

Sex with Terra.

>> No.10284831
File: 489 KB, 1880x2166, ff6tard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10283025
>If you've only been powerleveling 4 people all game long, then they should be strong enough to carry the rest.
this

>> No.10284849

>>10284326
I’ve beaten a level 20 run. Mog should jump when a boss is about to do their ultimate that can’t be absorbed by Runic.
Get Mog first so you can use the Moogle Charm for no encounters to avoid difficult enemies at first and to keep low levels. Then grab the Cursed Shied and turn it into the Paladin’s Shield and use it to learn Ultima. Get Raiden and learn Quick. If you can, get the Gem Box from the Tower of Fanatics, use Runic or Jump to survive the boss’s final Ultima attack. If you can get lucky, kill some Braciosaurs while reloading to get the Economizer for true easy mode.
You get double cast form the Gem Box, use it to cast Ultima, Quick, Ultima, and Ultima and watch everything melt to a party of 20s. Just pick whoever you want as your magic user that has a high magic stat, Terra, Relm, Celes, and Edgar are good choices. Always keep Mog for jumping and no encounter, and Locke is good since he has high speed and can use items/support in a pinch. Personally I like Strago as the fourth for Mighty Guard and White Wind.

>> No.10284952

>>10283148
Almost everyone can solo kefka although at low levels it will be a gamble whether he uses hyperdrive or not.

>> No.10285351

>>10282923
>nooo I minmaxed four characters like a retard instead of actually trying out everybody for the 95% of the game where you could experiment with different mechanics
Never had this problem

>> No.10285376

>>10283091
>not 999999 steps

You had one job

>> No.10285432

>>10282818
>Beat FFVI for the first time a few weeks ago
>Final battle
>Terra decked out with dual weild rapid fire Lightbringer and Ragnarok and fully charged Trance
>Kefka 3's death throw hits her and she gets shuffled out on the final phase for Cyan

What a fucking appropriate ending for a main character who constantly finds an excuse to not be playable. Fucking hell

>> No.10285517

>>10285351
most of the roster is just useless gimmicky filler. you could reduce FFVI's roster to 8 and it would actually make the game better.

>> No.10285596

>>10284849
Oh, I know all that. I can easily beat Kefka at the same levels with a different team, though my favorite is Terra, Celes, Mog and Gau. Kekfka doesn't stand a chance against that, provided I equip them properly. I like to give Terra an Enhancer/Gem Box-based setup, while Celes wields Illumina offensively while serving as a backup caster. Mog, of course, jumps, and Gau Wind Gods the shit out of everything. Everyone either has 128 MBlock or max defense, so yeah, there's little that can touch them.
>>10285432
I assume by rapid fire you mean the Offering? If so, you actually don't want to use that with either Illumina or Ragnarok. They're both insta-crit weapons, which makes them do double damage, and Offering, though it causes four hits, halves the damage on all four hits, so the end result is... double damage. Moreover, the Offering disables the extra spells cast by either weapon, so no Pearl or Flare for you. All in all, the Offering actually gimps them, UNLESS you're at really high levels and are doing damage with it that exceeds 9999 in total. I recommend this setup instead:
>Illumina
>Ragnarok
>Mystery Veil
>Force Armor
>Genji Glove
>Either Hero Ring for more damage or Marvel Shoes for the buffs
This setup gives them 128 MBlock, which blocks the vast majority of attacks, including that death throw attack that wiped Terra in your case. A funny thing I found about it, though, is that if the first weapon casts its spell, the second weapon will lose its insta-crit for some reason. Sort of weird.

>> No.10285620

>>10285596
Ah, but I just realized, given you're using the FF6A terms (Lightbringer, Trance) that you're probably playing the Advance or Pixel Remaster version. In that case, the setup isn't quite as good, since the Evade glitch is fixed, and you actually need to raise up Evasion instead of just MBlock/Magic Evasion, though honestly, most of the physicals the final bosses throw at you aren't that threatening save for shit like Kefka's Havoc Wing, and you'd still have 80+ Evasion with that setup, which will block most physicals still. That said, you could bring it up a bit more with other equipments, and if you're playing the Advance version, you can turn the stolen Ragnarok into another Lightbringer, and it's then possible to create a full 128/128 Evasion setup.

>> No.10285630

What is the appeal of max leveling in easy games?

>> No.10285640

>>10285630
>NUMBER GET BIGGER
>MUH COMPLETIONISM

>> No.10285641

>>10285630
The satisfaction of seeing your characters at their maximum potential, I suppose. That said, I've never done it. I find it more interesting to see how far I can get with as little leveling as possible. I would be interested in a game where you NEED to be at maximum potential just to stand a chance against the final boss. FF6 T-Edition almost scratched that itch for me, as I actively resisted leveling for much of the late game's challenges to see how low I could be and still win, but even after succeeding and getting all the best gear, Kefka STILL kicked my ass so thoroughly I actually had to grind for a bit.

>> No.10285645

>>10285641
/vrpg/ accused me of being a troll and told me to kill myself when I asked them what is the best jrpg in terms of "number go up." One person suggested Disgae but that isn't really what I was looking for since it is just balanced towards lasting a very long time as an endless grind rather than a focus on a satisfying curve. My favourite progression curve is FF IV but I suspect that is just because it is the shortest of what I personally consider to be the better Final Fantasy games.

>> No.10285649

>>10285645
>/vrpg/ accused me of being a troll and told me to kill myself when I asked them what is the best jrpg in terms of "number go up."
kek, touchy fucks, aren't they?

>> No.10285658

>>10285649
I have only browsed it a couple of times but I got the impression the average poster there is depressed and can barely motivate themselves to replay their favourite games and nothing else. It isn't a comfy board at all.

>> No.10285662

>>10285658
vr is the only non-shit vidya board on 4chan. nowadays I only post on /vr/ and the homebrew general of /vg/

>> No.10285682

>>10285662
I enjoy hacking consoles more than playing them but last time I checked the homebrew general it was just shitposting and retarded questions. It just seems like there is nothing to discuss once you have everything set up. Hell I bought a Vita TV and Wii U just because I wanted to experiment with homebrew and have still barely used either of them. The only thing I follow development for anymore is new Mister cores.

>> No.10285686

>>10285630
It’s not about beating the game, it’s about demolishing it. These typically aren’t things you do on the first playthrough unless you’re keen to ruining the experience for yourself.
Honestly, despite everyone else’s complaints for the GBA and Mobile versions of the game, I like the extra content for the added challenge. Killing Kefka in one hit is satisfying, but beating Kaiser Dragon is much more satisfying, and you need overpowered characters and good strats to do it. Quality of the content is besides the point, I want tougher bosses that will kill you in seconds if you don’t know what you’re doing.

>> No.10285691

>>10285686
*Omega Weapon

>> No.10285695

>>10285682
I'm on a 9.60 PS4 Pro still waiting for a jailbreak. it's going to take a while.

>> No.10285712

>>10285695
>it's going to take a while.
Maybe something worth playing will be developed in the meantime.

>> No.10286086

>>10285686
The new bosses are pretty much the only worthwhile part of FF6A, particularly Omega Weapon. The new weapons are largely inconsequential or outright shit, and honestly the Dragon's Den was a bit too long for my liking. The Soul Shrine was fine, I guess.

>> No.10286121

>>10285630
When it comes to easy JRPGs, there are 2 ways to make them fun: make up some kind of challenge run to make it harder, or just go completely overkill and break it to pieces. I think both can be pretty entertaining if you enjoy these kinds of games.

>> No.10286915

>>10283238
Yup, did this once. Some of the boss fights in Kefka's tower required many resets. Kefka himself was not a problem.

>> No.10287219

I have never saved shadow. He is always leaving me so I always leave him.

>> No.10287442

>>10282818
That's cool. Personally I opt for the opposite approach when I reply classic RPGs. I like to make the final fight as challenging and meaningful as possible, so I try to avoid most of the gamebreaking overpowered items or overleveling some games occasionally end up with.

>> No.10287446

>>10282923
>I played like a chump, only ever sticking to a single narrow party, and then I got punished for it in the end when I wasn't prepared (even though it's still trivially easy to swallow my pride and get the rest of my team up to speed).

I'd LOVE to see you play a Fire Emblem game, I bet you'd tear your hair out and punch your mom.

>> No.10287503
File: 415 KB, 509x448, wrecked.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10282818
>Before I kill Kefka, I always ensure that Terra has the ability to kill him in a single turn (consisting of eight blows, Morph + Offering + Genji Glove + suitable weapons + sufficient strength). And that she is equipped with her father's remains when she does so. :)
I tried the same shit against Chaos, I got desstroyed.

>> No.10288069

>>10283162
>>10283359
>>10283693
>>10283872
>>10284218
Absolutely based anon.

>> No.10288117

>>10283693
Fixing the evade bug is worth it imo:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/232/

>> No.10288430

>>10288117
I guess so, if your goal is to make the game slightly harder, as the glitch is actually an advantage.

>> No.10289178
File: 111 KB, 1897x910, clues.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

On my last (very thorough) play-through, I also documented the TOWNSPEOPLE/environment themselves, focusing on their useful clues. The relevant clues are about 200 in number. If the pawn is the soul of chess, then the advice of the townspeople is the soul of a Final Fantasy game. This is how a player fully experiences the game.

Of course, once one knows the game inside and out, one can bypass all that. but it's a good experiential thing that's worth documenting IMO. Almost everything can be figured out or guessed at if one is paying attention to these clues, but there's two or three hidden things in the game that are just pure chance. The big one is the hidden room in the Ancient castle, containing a dragon and the Raiden esper upgrade. You have to stand on a certain tile, look at a bookshelf etc. There's really (I think!) no way to really KNOW that it's there based on the info presented in the game, unless you've read a walkthrough. Also, when Locke has to give a password just before finding Celes, this appears to be pure trial and error, no one in town ever hints that he should say "courage", although this word does sound the best among the three.

This process also gave me a better appreciation for Gau's dad's sequence. Both Sabin (Gau's advocate) and Gau himself must be in the party in order for the scene to play. Even though Gau's dad rejects him, part of "him" is still in there, like a dementia patient. A little piece of him recognizes Gau, and loves him: "I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE... but you're a fine young man, and... your parents must love you very much." This is the substance of what he actually says, and that's why Gau is satisfied. Would be interesting to see actors perform the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFavxCmZbjg

>> No.10289535

>>10287503
Chaos was one of the easier EX bosses for me. I still can't beat Mateus, for one.

>> No.10289630

How is end game Locke in regular FF6 and does anyone know if he's good in T edition?

>> No.10290240

>>10289630
Breddy gud. Not the strongest guy but well rounded. When I made the thread I fired up the game for the fun of easily plowing through the final battle and my preferred party for that is Terra, Locke, Sabin, Shadow.

His power level is even important to the story in the first third. When he's by himself in South Figaro, he's quite weak, and it shows. Even Celes is a good bit stronger than him in their first meeting. I always found that sequence a bit depressing and tedious (it was written that way). He's kind of dead weight in the Narshe battle too, not able to do much yet, but immediately afterward he starts getting useful stuff (boomerangs and shit) and real plot development which make him both more useful and more interesting. You're stuck with him until Magitek factory, which basically forces you to develop him early.

One thing I appreciate about the game is that there's lots of good stuff to steal, but not to many CRITICAL rare boss steals which basically force the completionist to have Locke on hand much of the time. You're truly encouraged to mix and match your parties. Chrono Trigger is a bit worse at this, there's lots of critical stuff in the back half which forces you to have Ayla on hand all the time. Not that I mind having Ayla around, o-of course!

It's possible to get Locke fairly early in the second half, but you're not "meant" to do this. With "normal" gameplay he'd be toward the end of your re-assembly.

>> No.10290325

>>10289178
You got the the excel for that? Looks pretty cool to go through, if you don't mind.

>> No.10290406

This is a really good thread.

>> No.10290604

>>10289630
It depends on how high your levels are. Given he's primarily a physical fighter, he's not all that great at lower levels. If you ask me, at low levels (20 or below), he's best paired with a 128 MBlock Illumina setup so he can better survive, though IMO Terra and Celes are better fits for it. At normal end-game levels (between 40 to 50), you can much more safely give him a Valiant Knife + Offering setup for good damage, though arguably Setzer may be a better fit for the Offering at the lower end of that range, to say nothing of Wind God Gau (if you're playing the OG SNES version, that is). At high levels (above 60 or so), he finally has enough HP to ditch the shield and go full blast with dual-wielding Atma Weapon and Valiant Knife for guaranteed massive damage, not to mention that's the point where the Atma Weapon finally outclasses the Valiant Knife at full HP. This is where Locke shines. Before that? I class him as mediocre to passable.

>> No.10290872

>>10282818
kefka is classified as a Humanoid. you can 9999x8 him with relm and a couple of maneaters as long as you made her hold a +2 esper since recruiting her

>>10282923
cactaur desert. the worm is vulnerable to instant death attacks and spell
make sure at least one person in the team can use the ultima weapon using sniper eye relic and haste shoes for the cataur.

>> No.10290886

>>10289630
Locke is a high tier character because hes one of like 4 or 5 characters who can use Elemental swords. i forgot the name of the city celes washes up on in the world of ruin but that vendor sells those weapons. also him or shadow is the only way to steal from the white dragon in kefkas tower
>genji glove + offering + thief knives(steal from dancers in zozo)
>berserk locke or shadow
>hope you get a spear, reset if no.

>> No.10291554

>>10290325

Hrm, it's an ancient file type, I use a very old version of Excel because I still have a working install disc. I don't have the excel file itself uploaded anywhere and I'm not gonna, but I will take the trouble to break it into image chunks since you're interested. Will be an amusing way to spend the evening. Will post here shortly.

>> No.10291610
File: 19 KB, 268x297, 1623674542309.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>No more training please, let's just go kill him already.

>> No.10291642

What level is a good enough level to go to kefaks tower? How much is too OP? What level to keep things difficult?

>> No.10291652

>>10291610
>NO TERRA, ONCE EVERY ONE HUNDRED ATTACKS WE STILL MISS, WE NEED TO KEEP TRAINING UNTIL WE CAN PUNCH GODS IN THE FACE AND KILL THEM IN A SINGLE HIT

>> No.10291653

>>10291642
It really depends on a few things. If you're new to the game and mean to fight through all the random encounters on the way, you'll want to be at least around level 45 or so on average. If you're smart with your team setups, you can get away with tackling it at level 30. And if you REALLY want to challenge yourself, try getting there at an average of level 20 or lower. Even at such a low level, late game spells and attacks are strong enough to defeat bosses with minimal hassle. The challenge mostly comes from having low HP, so you have to really pay attention to your equipment setups and buffs to get through.

>> No.10291671
File: 999 KB, 1891x6941, How to correctly make a huge image with all the clues in FFVI with detailed info on their significance.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's a large file with all the CLUES that the above anon >>10290325 asked for. I condensed it down into something which I hope is legible. When I compiled this, I ignored obvious stuff (Hi, welcome to South Figaro! This town is called South Figaro! That's the town you are in right now!) and focused on stuff that might be non-obvious for a brand new, but attentive player. Stuff that is useful to figure things out at various delayed timings, which is the pleasure of exploration. The player could in principle note or keep track of all this stuff in some formal fashion like this, but of course the simplest thing for a player is to bounce around and complete all the stuff. Still, logging this sort of stuff gives you some appreciation for how the designers sprinkled clues and spread out the story so that it's manageable/interesting for a player.

In the process of doing this one, I got a better appreciation for certain story details. In the World of Ruin, you can catch a young couple off in the woods, defiantly saying "for each life lost, another will be made!" And then they run off. They were clearly having sex for the explicit purpose of baby-making, and you interrupted them.

One story detail/visual element which really impressed me this last time was a comparison between the Esper world and the underground Mobliz area. When Terra is born and the Espers are fighting Gestahl etc, they hunker down in an earthen room, with a little bedroom top right where the infant Terra is. The Mobliz room (which Terra guards) is pretty much the same layout, and in the joyous finale, Katarin gives birth (in the earth, Terra = Earth), signifying the continuance of life. And then Terra lets her hair fly free. :')

>> No.10291703

>>10291652

"Yes."

>>10291642

I'm the OP and as I've made pretty clear, I enjoy a maximalist/completionist run, I've done two of them recently, and some years ago. I enjoy "collecting everything" (lores, leveling, etc). But now that I understand the game as well as I do, I may start messing around with minimal runs/soft speedruns, that sort of thing.

Assuming that you collect pretty much every relevant treasure, level 50 or so is perfectly do-able for a casual player. On my last play-through I fought the Atma weapon (second time) in Kefka's tower at like 45-ish, thought I was fine, but I was totally unprepared and it wasted me, and it's one of the lowest bosses in the place. It was just a question of understanding how the boss works (I didn't), and I learned my lesson. Personally I am a very lazy late game player and I like to just learn and spam Ultima/Bum Rush/other top stuff, but you will need to know other things at certain bottleneck points. Becoming a fair speedrunner involves knowing these sorts of details, something I'd like to start messing around with. I have deep knowledge on how to get every single rage for Gau and how fastest to go about it, but at the same time, I am a very lazy Rage USER. Stray Cat really is that good. Stray Cat is Gau's default "Fight" command. That's how you should think of it. The proximity of the Stray Cat enemy itself, the first time it crops up, is another clue on how this will be a good attack for Gau once we meet him a bit later.

In the second half, The key is understanding what the best force multipliers in this particular game are, and how to get them most efficiently. Moogle Charm, Offering, Ultima, etc.

>> No.10291752

>>10291610
last time I played through FF6 I grinded up Terra's magic power so high that when she was morphed I had to use fire/ice/bolt 3 cause anything stronger would overflow and do shit damage
had to stop raising Gau's vigor eventually cause catscratch was overflowing too
of course normally you'd never see that shit but I was playing with a 32k max damage patch so I wanted to see how high I could go

>> No.10292126

>>10289535
Mateus is bullshit, fuck that.

>> No.10292163

>>10291703
I mean, even at level 45, you still just spam the best attacks. By that point, Morphed Terra is probably doing 9999 or close to it with just level 3 elementals (I know my level 20 Morphed Terra can inflict over 5000 on Kefka using Ice 3), and if you've been on top of leveling up her Magic stat, she's easily doing over 7000 with Flare, to say nothing of Ultima (which I sometimes don't even get because I can't be arsed to grind out the Paladin Shield and I prefer getting the Illumina for those sweet 128 MBlock setups). Sabin for sure is already doing 9999 with Bum Rush. With lowish health, Locke with Valiant Knife + Offering inflicts like 3000 damage per hit, if not more. And on it goes. You just waste everything. Shit, even on my lowish-level run, with everyone around level 20, I STILL more or less did this, since I avoided all battles except the bosses. It just took longer to beat them, and had to spend more time reviving teammates that didn't have 128 MBlock setups or 255 defense, or have Life 3 up for those rare attacks that can wipe you regardless.

>> No.10292635
File: 8 KB, 309x597, SmithCelestinaTitle.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Was it dumb to rename her Terra?

>> No.10292925

>>10292635
Headcanon fags deserve the rope

>> No.10293156

10/10 bread

>>10292635
The reasoning is that "Tina" sounds exotic in Japanese, while in the anglosphere it's a typical name. By renaming her Terra, they retained the exotic feel, there's the earth connection, and the -a suffix is appropriately feminine.

>> No.10293194

>>10291752
I'm curious to see how such maxed-out characters would fare against a boss with defense stats of 254. I ran a quick calculation, and even a fully maxed Morphed Terra with the best damage and stat-boosting equipments would only do like 700 damage at max with Ice 3, the strongest non-defense ignoring Magic spell. Of course, such a boss would ideally have a routine to insta-kill you if you dare use a defense-ignoring attack or spell, forcing you to use attacks that don't ignore defense.

>> No.10293323

>>10293156
>there's the earth connection
is that meaningful in some way that i'm missing

>> No.10293330
File: 7 KB, 125x125, 1647462739959.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

AHHH Cyan gave me squibblies, don't give me the skibidi bap Cyan AHHH

>> No.10293345

>>10293330
It's crazy how much better Cyan becomes if you just double the speed at which he charges his attacks.

>> No.10293373

>>10293345

The main problem with Cyan is that he's (statistically) an older slowpoke. Also Kefka rekt him more personally and completely than any other character (so to my original thread idea, the honor of bodying Kefka in one shot could be argued to be his).

>>10293323

Yes, absolutely, regardless of whether the writers/translators intended it directly or not. Terra refers to the earth, the world. Terra doesn't understand herself in the first part of the game, and the convenient tropes of amnesia, powerful hybrid and beautiful young woman make her sympathetic. She starts out wondering whether she's capable of ROMANTIC love, which is something that the boys and young men for whom the game was intended are starting to understand, but in the second half she discovers real love of a different sort: her MATERNAL love for the children of Mobliz. It is this MOTHERLY love which allows her to stay as a human in the world.

Also, let me repeat my earlier observation. As a baby, Terra is kept in a cave in the Esper village. In the game's grand finale, Duane and Katarin have a baby of their own, in the safety of a very similar underground cave room which Terra had helped to protect. And as this is happening, the world itself is rejuvenating. "Nature is healing", as we say, or: the earth. Duane and Katarin's baby is both a repetition of Terra's origin, but a wonderful indication of the continuance of life. To use an old hippie trope, Terra becomes a kind of "earth-mother".

Some commentators have noted the distinction between Terra (Earth) and Celes(te), where the latter stands for the stars, the cosmos. I don't read too much into this, but it's not an unreasonable reading of the translated names. This anon >>10292635 seems to be hinting at this idea.

>> No.10293417

>>10282818
What if Rest's death attack lands on Terra two times in a row,thus bypassing the re-raise?

>> No.10293478

>>10293417
I'm pretty sure he only casts it once.

>> No.10293489

>>10293373
Celestina summary from wikipedia:

Published in 1791 by Thomas Cadell, the novel tells the story of an adopted orphan who discovers the secret of her parentage and marries the man she loves.

Or this slightly older Spanish work
The name Celestina[3] has become synonymous with "procuress" in Spanish, especially an older woman used to further an illicit affair, and is a literary archetype of this character, the masculine counterpart being Pandarus.

Celes and Tina were their names, they were both orphan girls. Because Celestina is a reference you can make in literature.
'Lol I don't get it let's change Tina's name to make it sound cooler to English people, that's all they were going for in Japanese right? Cool foreign names.' Lame as fuck.

Tfw Japanese writer knows more about European literature than your translator.

>> No.10293901

>>10282923
I never had this issue. I just had to grind about 6-10 levels on my under used people and it was fine. Finished my last play through with levels between 45-60 I think.

>> No.10293929

>>10289178
There's a scholar in the Figaro Library that says something like "the queen stands and takes 5 steps", which is how many steps in front of the throne the switch for the hidden room is.

>> No.10294587

>>10289178
>when Locke has to give a password just before finding Celes, this appears to be pure trial and erro
You were supposed to learn the password by playing FF2, the then-untranslated one. Even if you had, FF6 translatin changed the password anyway.

>> No.10294602

>>10293489
>1790
>not published again until 2000
It's just a coincidence you mong

>> No.10294616

>>10293901
>Finished my last play through with levels between 45-60 I think.
I was wondering why everyone called this game easy and I found it hard. Some of my characters ended the game in the 30s in my first play through recently

>> No.10294883

>>10294602
It's also a name and a word in Spanish.

'Lol Tina was funny sounding foreign name, me make up funny sounding name' dumb as hell take.

At least be intelligent enough to change Celes' name too. They're both half of one name. That should have been something we could have noticed. Instead we got a shitty translator that just changed the name because he can't conceive of any reason the author might have named her Tina except 'lol funny name'

>> No.10294891

>>10294883
>At least be intelligent enough to change Celes' name too
They did. Headcannon fags are retarded.

>> No.10295658

>>10294883

>Woolsey
>shitty

This opinion, as wretched as it is wrongheaded, will not go unchecked.

"No."

>> No.10295768

>>10294891
Are you arguing it was Ceres or something?

>> No.10296101

>>10295768
It literally was. The kana used is Se-ri-su, not Se-re-su, as in the goddess Ceres.

>> No.10296103

Oh boy, next he's gonna say It's Artemisia instead of Ultimecia.

>> No.10296174

>>10296101
Wouldn't that be more likely Celice?

>> No.10296319

>>10296174
That's more plausible than Celes, especially given her French surname

>> No.10296851

>>10283009
Yeah but a lot of characters suck. I really only develop like five characters throughout the entire game.

>> No.10297141

>>10282862
>Also she's the lead, y'know
Only in world of balance. That's the point of the game, you switch protags after mid-game

>> No.10297512
File: 287 KB, 421x413, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw absolute mongs can't see the connection between CELEStial and TERRA and think Woolsey missed the complementary aspect of their Japanese names

>> No.10297531

>>10283009
You aren't supposed to neurotically develop any characters at all. The game can easily be beaten without grinding. The cultists tower is the only part that ever gives me difficulty and that is because I tend to use characters who aren't very good at magic.

>> No.10297542

>>10296851
The only one who outright sucks is Umaro, followed distantly by Cyan, who I would just classify as subpar. Everyone else is at least good, though some are definitely better than others.

>> No.10297659

>>10288430
Vanish/<doom/debuff> is an advantageous glitch you can play with whenever you feel like it, or not. Fixing evade at least gives you a few more things to think about when gearing up other than turbogay 128Mblock exploit setups. Items like Beads actually become useful, lower-tier shields get a boost and there are cases where you actually choose between physical and magic evade.
>>10291642
>How much is too OP? What level to keep things difficult?
Depends a lot on your gear and esper bonuses but in my experience Kefka is pretty easy by late 30s and becomes trivial quickly in the 40s. At least in comparison to a boss like Zeromus which remains a reasonable challenge until the mid-50s at least.

>> No.10297701

>>10297659
Eh, not that long ago I did a full playthrough with one of those patches that fixes all the glitches, and where I didn't bother getting the Paladin Shield or Ultima and didn't pay particular attention to my equipment setups. I did, however, pay relatively close attention to Esper boosts. I ended up beating the game around level 42 or so, easily steamrolling through all of Kefka's Tower and the final battle. The game is just fucking easy no matter how you slice, so long as you have even a modicum of sense about how it works. I can see fixing the glitches being more problematic for lower-level runs, though, where you can't just slap a 128 MBlock setup on characters and call it a day, or cheese the shit out of it with Vanish/Doom.

>> No.10297907

>>10297141

I entertained this idea during my second play-through, but Celes really isn't the "center" of the story in the second half, she merely kicks it off. You learn where Terra wound up very early on (Mobliz), even though she doesn't join right away you know where to look for her later. Once you get the airship (Celes) isn't critical to any of the sidequest or clean-up arcs. Terra is. One of the more profound moments in the game is when the kids accept Terra in her esper form, and it's Terra (assuming you get everyone) who leads everyone to safety once Kefka is killed. The worry centers on what will happen to Terra as magic and the espers go away forever. As the world heals, a baby is born in a cave room exactly like the one that Terra was in when she was a baby. The game's final moment has Terra going to the bow of the ship and letting her hair fly in the breeze, symbolizing happiness/victory.

Celes is a major character (the Locke/Celes intrigue), and she is complementary to Terra (similar backgrounds, they are the only two who learn magic "naturally"), but she's not as important to the second half as she's made out to be. The entire finale centers on Terra. Terra is really the main character in both halves.

>> No.10298306

>>10297701
Yeah like I said, to have any real challenge on Kefka you need to be in 30s max. He's just not a very hard final boss relative to the amount of resources a typical player can bring to bear in the fight. His standard attack routine is not very threatening, he doesn't even start using Goner until his health is half gone. The only thing particularly scary about Kefka is that he can counter with Ultima. But that's pretty rare.

>> No.10298325

>>10298306
And even Goner is underwhelming as fuck. It's the strongest spell in the game power-wise, but it doesn't ignore defense and it does half damage when two or more party members are alive, and Kefka, despite having the highest level in the game (71), has an absolutely pitiful magic stat (8), so overall it's a wet fart of an "ultimate" attack that looks way scarier than it is. Even my level 20 characters can survive it provided they have their magic defense around 190+ (may also need Shell casted, can't recall). As for Ultima, he only starts using it as a counter once his HP goes down below 10,000, and even then it's not guaranteed, and IIRC below 5,000 he switches to Meteor for some reason. HyperDrive and Havoc Wing are probably his scariest attacks in general, since he starts using them much earlier in the fight and can be insta-kills (the latter can be blocked or negated with high defense, though).

I'm glad to say that he was like 1000% more challenging in T-Edition. He can and will fuck your shit up, and your asshole actually clenches when he starts charging Goner.

>> No.10298769
File: 740 KB, 2173x953, how to correctly point out that &#039;grinding was never intended&#039; is an incorrect observation.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10297531

>You aren't supposed to neurotically develop any characters at all
>Dinosaur Forest exists, and is described by one of the rogues in the Cave in the Veldt

The team were smart enough to make a game which lends itself to normal, pleasurable play, speedrunning, and completionism all at once. You can choose how to derive pleasure from the game. Dinosaur Forest (and the surrounding Tumbleweeds) were inserted into the game to provide a relatively easy grinding area, once one gets past a certain threshold (mid-high 40s Ultima caster).

As rendered here, the clue is fairly opaque, but it clearly refers to the existence of the forest as a place worth checking out. This language might simply refer to the big scary dinosaurs in general (Tyranos and Brachios), or specifically to the Brachiosaur. The "freedom" might refer to how easy things get with grinding, or specifically to the ultra-rare economizer drop which arises naturally if one keeps brainlessly grinding.

>> No.10299720

>>10298769
Kefka could have been more dangerous though. The most challenging part is reaching him with a party low enough to be threatened.

>> No.10299732

>>10299720
I'm almost convinced the reason he's easy is because they figured the average player would inevitably lose some of their party to the previous tiers, so by the time they arrived to Kefka they would be using at least some of their C-list party members, so they figured making him too difficult would be daunting for the average retard who didn't get all the good equipment from sidequests and just uses Optimize to equip their characters, like this nigga >>10284831

>> No.10299746

>>10282923
>requires 3 entire parties

I even beat T-Edition with 1 party you fucking retard. And it was my first complete playthrough of FF6.
I come to /vr/ and this is what I see. You fags really just can't play video games.
>even defending trannylations
What a bunch of mongoloids

>> No.10300395

>>10283162
>>10283359
>>10283693
>>10283872
>>10284218

And here I thought I was autistic... could you upload them? Maybe some here could use them...

>> No.10300665

>>10283148

Playing without evasion bug fix is cringe. Having evasion as a relevant stat makes configuring your gear setups funner and makes an easy game slightly less easy.

>> No.10301119

>>10300665
>Playing without evasion bug fix is cringe.
That's how the game shipped and that's how the vast majority played the game back in the day prior to the GBA release, and perfectly fine at that. There was a fix for it in the 2000's, but very few people even knew about it, let alone played with it.

In any case, having evasion actually work makes very little difference. The average player who doesn't sperg about this kind of shit isn't going to play any differently. For the veteran, it's just as easy. All it does is it takes away certain insanely broken setups, but you'll still never ever be in actual danger, and you'll still godstomp everything if you know what you're doing. The only way it actually becomes harder is in low-level games.

>> No.10301139
File: 203 KB, 550x776, 6cd455f6169.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hello nerds it's me, Ultros, can't wait to weave my tentacles around that!

>> No.10301278
File: 47 KB, 546x366, 1656985544417.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10301139
Keep going...

>> No.10302943
File: 196 KB, 409x737, 1673888043030.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10293156
>"Tina" sounds exotic in Japanese
Ah yes, that exotic name known for tentacle rape hentai

>> No.10302949

>>10293323
She's not an earth-element type so it's a terrible fucking name.

>> No.10303234

>>10283026

I tried this challenge myself but it's nearly impossible. The closest I made to that was a 1 party: Edgar+Setzer(Mage build + Fixed dice), party 2: Celes(Mage build) + Sabin and party 3 of solo mage-build Mog w/ molulu's charm.

>> No.10303483

>>10301119
>The average player who doesn't sperg about this kind of shit
Yeah well this thread involves a guy doing just that.

>> No.10303521
File: 187 KB, 674x900, d3e2c1d6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10301139
Sorry mollusk brain, but she's Figaro property now.

>> No.10303806
File: 587 KB, 1198x1284, evade example.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10303483

I don't care to play any version other than English SNES. But there's a spot or two where you can see remaining traces of the intended "evade" effect. Here we have Setzer using a "matador's cape" to dodge a physical attack with the right setup (I think).

>>10300395

I've uploaded the main "strategy" stuff that I prepared during the research phase before my last go-around, but since there still seems to be some interest I'll dump a few other less important things, but only as image files. The only other thing I can think of in terms of completionism is coming up with some specific number of each item type which isn't stupidly onerous to collect. A kind of rationale why you only have one of such-and-such sword, or ten of them... This thread has me thinking I'll try a fairly quick run in the near future, a few hours casually over a few days.

>> No.10303840

>>10293929

neeeeat, I missed that, thanks. will incorporate.

A dumb side thing I did: comparing WoB and WoR. When you really look at it, pretty much all the main towns are intact except for Mobliz. The stuff that goes away are all the goofy side areas (Baren Falls, Lete River etc), the "easy dungeon" spaces, which are replaced with the latter world's much harder ones.

Also, when you first encounter the kid and his mom in Tzen, his mom complains that it's dangerous OUTSIDE. (The kid is sliding down a stair bannister a little ways away). Later, when you rescue the kid from inside the house, it's dangerous INSIDE. This is an amusing reversal that I don't know anyone else has picked up on.

>> No.10304056

>>10303806
that 'zht' ding when evading has to be one of the weirdest sounds in a game.

>> No.10306403

this thread makes me want to play again

>> No.10307259

>>10282818
>17% MBlock
>Doom
nothing personnel half-esper kiddo

>> No.10307265

>>10283719
ACKSHUALLY, kid, they both prevent Zombie, as well. My goodness, you people are absolute scrubs.

>> No.10307680

whats the best ff6 rom hack that enhances the vanilla experience? I am not really into full blown remade hacks, fans usually add cringe story/text.

>> No.10307772

>>10282950
i used the famous spell glitch to beat that game. This game was a complete grind fest.

>> No.10307841

>>10282923
People beat this game using only Gau at level 6.

>> No.10308025

>>10307680
>enhances the vanilla experience?
T-Edition. The base game and plot is still there, but there is more.
Adds new areas and side-quests that actually fit the game(putting flowers on Daryl's tomb).
Adds in a bunch of optional bosses to fight for gear or other extras.
Adds in stat-changing costumes for each character to give them alternate looks in and out of battle.
Adds in a New Game+ feature that can be triggered at almost any time, even before you've beaten the game once.
Adds in a post-game boss-rush challenge "2nd disc" that you transfer your save to when you feel ready.
Adds in music from other FF games and other RPGs.
Almost all added side-story bits are taken from the dev's concepts for the game that got cut in production, not fan-fiction and memes like Brave New World.
Enemies, attacks, and equipment have all been overhauled to provide a greater challenge without going full-retard Kaizo-mode(with the exception of the ultra-hard 2nd-disc bosses and the optional bosses).

>> No.10308775
File: 17 KB, 452x678, Takahashi (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10282923
*raughs*
You rike it?

>> No.10308781

>>10291610
You will continue your esper anal bead training and you WILL benefit from it.

>> No.10308787

>>10302943
That looks hot
Any place to watch?

>> No.10308790

>>10301139
He quite literally sniffed that

>> No.10308942

>>10308025
Seconding T-edition. It was the breath of fresh air I was looking for after having beat the game so many times. I will say it's not all that different from the regular game at first, though. You really only get your first glimpse of the challenge ahead of you when you fight Kefka at Narshe, and especially right after the Magitek Factory, when you are finally able to do some of the side quests and start collecting Magicite. It was at that point that I really started to enjoy it.

>> No.10309547

>>10308781
can you don't. if you genuinely must go out of your way to let the world know you're a faggoted freak please do so on the faggoted freak containment boards, such as /b/ or /gif/.

Don't profane a gem from my childhood in FF6, and don't sully Terra while you're at it. Sodomite.

>> No.10310517

>>10308942
>I will say it's not all that different from the regular game at first, though.
That's reasonable since the original game isn't too badly balanced at the beginning. Tools and blitz are OP, magic is underpowered, and Sabin, Cyan and Gau tend to have levels on everyone else since their adventure is so much longer.

>> No.10311390

>>10308942
Unless this was changed in recent revisions (I wouldn't be surprised because the creator seems deadset on nuking the project) you can easily get bodied early on in t-edition. Try wandering around Figaro desert and you will die very quickly.

>> No.10311395

>>10311390
>I wouldn't be surprised because the creator seems deadset on nuking the project
What do you mean?

>> No.10312050

>>10311390
He's not interested in nuking it, he just only cares to adjust things to suite himself. It was originally his own personal hack and wasn't shared at all. He only bothered to share it after some fellow japs begged him for it. It was never intended to be shared or appeal to anyone else.

>> No.10312060

>>10312050
The version I played was one that was shared by an anon here that had a couple of fixes IIRC. It was just before some of the major changes, such as the costumes becoming purely cosmetic. I really enjoyed it as it was. I can't say any of the changes since have enticed me.

>> No.10313136

>>10312060
If I recall correctly, he also changed those costume stats because, again, crybabies have complained that the costumes are way too hard to get and yet the stats are shit because morons think that they are supposed to be "get this item in a hard way and game becomes easy" kind of achievement rather than actual cosmetic with some stat changes on the side.
So he resorted to Chrono Trigger like stat boost items that can be farmed which will then result to a grindfest to be overtuned.
It completely reverses and subverts his original intent with the hack's difficulty and personal taste.
It's just bad overall.

>> No.10313162

>>10313136
That sounds retarded as fuck. There's already a way to get all the costumes quickly anyway, so what's the problem? I must admit when I first heard about the patch, I was skeptical of the system, along with the removal of Esper boosts, but I ended up not really missing them in the end. Not only did it remove the need to be babysitting your characters' stat progressions and making sure they have the right Esper equipped when they're about to level up, but it added an extra (if minor) level of strategy, and not being able to raise your stats skyhigh added to the challenge IMO. So I take it, then, the best version to recommend is 2.9.7?

>> No.10313194

>>10313162
The game has new game+ feature too so yep, the newer versions completely caved in to the overtuned 999 stats ez game kind of grind rather than grindin for both levels (in a playthrough) and strong equipment (through either SS or NG+) that used to be counterbalanced by virtually frozen stats and damage relying on both stats and level.
Nothing new was added any way, as in, nothing major. Just tweaking things like that.
If anything, the changes make the game "easier", the addition of the stat increase consumable, growth egg, and increased damage to flying enemies.
>So I take it, then, the best version to recommend is 2.9.7?
From my personal preference. Yes. It's just the right amount of challenge that will make the player think about strategies when dealing with tough enemies. I like how some of the fights had me changing parties, espers, equipment, and even magic casting order. Losing was somewhat a learning experience (except for Mateus, fuck him). But again, at least for my preference.

>> No.10313215

>>10313162
>>10313194
Wait, which version was the one posted here again? Was it 2.9.7 or 2.9.4? That's the one I played and actually prefer. I'm not sure if it was already at 2.9.7 because I recall a patch before the "big" 3.0 patch nerfing a few enemies.

>> No.10313242

>>10313215
It may have been 2.9.4. Here's the link for anyone interested:
https://mega.nz/folder/l1wh2AjB#a7o9Bd2GJPlpSO9e5MeCMg

>> No.10313728

>>10291671
what the fuck does kibitz mean? why are americans like this?

>> No.10315504

>>10313242
thank you

>> No.10315516

>>10313728
Nobody read all that autism so no one knows what you're referring to.
But in general kibitz comes from yiddish and means something like chatty banter.

>> No.10315613

>>10313242
It is 2.9.4 the history html file shows it. Nice.

>> No.10315902

>>10315516
thread is ruined now I know the OP is another jewish golem

>> No.10316697
File: 267 KB, 600x800, 0138e3dc5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10316789
File: 12 KB, 407x286, 1670040814689576.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10316697
>blonde Terra

>> No.10316792
File: 600 KB, 800x770, 5a0c7ee23077.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10316789

>> No.10316851
File: 44 KB, 572x549, fredo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10301139
>>10316792
Why doesn't she just Morph and cast Fire 3 on his ass?

>> No.10317196

>>10316792
Much better.

>>10316851
i think we all know why

>> No.10317252
File: 285 KB, 1907x1758, How to correctly outline the game&#039;s story.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be OP
>looked at thread like 3 days ago, bottom of page 10, figured it had a good run, decide to let it die
>check board again
>top of page 1 again

This calls for my autistic plot summary!

>> No.10317378

>>10313194
With Mateus I ended up using savestates and he just lives forever. Ultimecia definitely does the same bs where you have no idea where their hp is sitting. Pretty good stuff for super bosses. After Ultimecia they all get really ez

>> No.10318078

>>10317252
what in the fuc kis this

>> No.10318868

>>10318078
what are you stupid
>This calls for my autistic plot summary!
he literally tells you what it is. And I respect OP's honesty, because while it looks very well-written I've got better things to do.

>> No.10319808
File: 133 KB, 1000x707, 092408.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10319809

is there any good single unified resource or walkthrough that goes over all the details of the mechanics of the game like the ones in this thread? i want to start again but want to get the in depth appreciation of it

>> No.10319812
File: 74 KB, 880x495, ultros-worlds.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dick anchored the thread, make a new one.

>> No.10319834

>>10319809
Here's some good FAQs to get your started:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/554041-final-fantasy-iii/faqs/33792
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/554041-final-fantasy-iii/faqs/13573

>> No.10319845
File: 61 KB, 393x445, guide.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10319809
Used these as my guides, it's difficult to come with a 'brief' guide to everything in the game.

>> No.10320047

>>10319834
>>10319845
thank you, i'll pore over those