[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 39 KB, 335x303, 1624236973442.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10228142 No.10228142 [Reply] [Original]

post bugs you've experienced in games
>play Mega Man X
>beating Storm Eagle
>beat half the stage, suddenly the screen darkens and I get the level password, like I've just beaten the level
>wat
>go to a Armored Armadillo stage to fill up the energy tanks
>shoot those bats until they drop health
>every health up item they drop vanishes the moment it touches the ground
>wtf
>end the level
>go back to the intro level on the highway
>no suit upgrades, only health
>beat the stage
>all upgrades gone
>google it
>turns out I had a bad dump of the game that I must have downloaded years ago
at least I could just enter my password with a different ROM and just continue from where I left, thanks to the Password System™

>> No.10228232

That's the game's anti-piracy.
https://tcrf.net/Mega_Man_X#Copy_Protection

>> No.10228242
File: 23 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10228142
I was playing Metal Slug 1 once and Marco just dropped through the submarine when I hopped out of the slug. No idea what caused it or if this glitch has been documented before.

>> No.10228260

>>10228232
huh, so that's what it was. those measures are so weird though
>After falling down 128 times, the next 127 jumps you make will alternate between normal jumps and small hops instead. You will also take damage while climbing walls and will be unable to use the Ride Armor. Firing shots will teleport you back to the start of the stage.
it's seriously like they wanted to fuck with your mind, making you doubt if you're even encountering those things.

>> No.10228281

Was playing FF Legend 2, something happened where I went into the temple in the first area and the screen blanked. I restarted, and my party was now four adult dragons all named "HAWHAW" which vastly overpowered everything in the early game, but then none of the area entrances worked so I couldn't progress at all.

>> No.10228354

>>10228142
>>10228232
Friend and I played kirby super star saga using Zsnes (online co-op) and a couple times we would be playing the game normally only for Marx to suddenly appear. It was like a meme edit how he would just appear along with his arena.

I'm wondering if that's piracy related?

>> No.10228365

In KOF 98 Ultimate Match, you can trigger a "half-dead" state with Goenitz.
If you defeat a character with Goenitz' Yonokaze (the tornado special move), but something interrupts you (like the opponent hitting you back), their life will go to 0, but they'll be in a "half-dead" state, meaning that, for all purposes, that character is dead. but he can still move and attack. If somehow the opponent wins the fight in this state, the game will register a DOUBLE KO (Draw Game), even though the enemy is still standing.

>> No.10228384

Half the time I play Sonic 2 or 3 (can't remember which, I get going so fast around loops the game shoves me into walls and I get stuck.

>> No.10228776

>>10228384
I remember one of the first times I played Sonic 3D Blast, the game randomly booted into a level select menu. I skipped to the final boss and got rekt.

>> No.10228871

>>10228354
I remember reading that it was a znes specific glitch.

>> No.10229197
File: 36 KB, 444x361, 1692559126554044.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10228776
That was actually the game's way of sneaking past Sega's quality control. They had to meet deadlines, and crashes/panics are a no-go for Sega QA, so they just made all the crash handlers point to the level select lmao.

>> No.10229215

Playing Shadow over Mystara a long time ago I did a playthrough with the dwarf and I managed to two shot Synn with his crescent slash attack. To this day I have never seen anyone perform that glitch nor was able to reproduce it, so I'm left wondering if it was just MAME shenanigans

>> No.10229692

>>10228142
>>10228232
Something similar happened to me a long time ago while playing Demon's Crest with ZSNES emulation, where the anti-piracy measure would kick in and I couldn't go into the pause menu during and after fighting a boss. I thought it was the ROM because I could play the (Japan) dump just fine, although I went through it blind until I could play it in English some years later.

>> No.10229742

>>10228142
I've experienced so few bugs in retro vidya I feel left out.

>> No.10230003

This isn't a "bug" but one time playing the original FF7 at the beginning of the game when you're attacking Shinra HQ and going up the elevator doing random battles at elevator stops, I stopped the elevator at one point and a NPC said something like "oh man!!!" and ran off. In my 20+ years playing the game, I had never seen that happen before.

>> No.10230036

>>10228142
The last level of Driver is buggy as fuck (at least when I played it on Duckstation). Whenever the cars would hit me I'd get launched at 100 mph and fly out of bounds. Honestly it's about the only enjoyable thing about that level.

>> No.10230049

>>10230003
It's probably not a bug, just something really hidden. One game that has tons of hidden content in cutscenes in Resident Evil 3. I've finished the game like 50 times back in 2000, but there are things I've never seen before looking them up on the internet.

For example:
- if you go back to the tram after Jill gets the mission to repair it, you'll see Mikhail fighting zombies. He'll roll the red drum nearby and blow it up. The thing is, there is an alternate cutscene: if you already blew that drum up, he throws a grenade instead!
- when you're at the restaurant with Carlos, if you go underground, Nemesis will bust open the pipes and the room will start to flood. Most people don't really pay attention to this, and either return to the restaurant or use the grating nearby to exit through another way. However, if you just stay in the room while it's flooding, soon enough Carlos will interrupt and say something different, prompting you to return to the restaurant automatically.
- if you go back right away to the room where Carlos heard the message about the helicopter (near the end), you actually get to hear Barry talking through the radio!

>> No.10230346

>>10228232
Either the final boss of Robopon 2 scales to your level, or it was determined to kick my gameshark using ass

>> No.10230356

>>10230346
Probably scale; when you get to Mt. Gagazet and have to fight the Ronso brothers as Kimahri, you can't progress in the game if Kimahri is hacked. Their level is based off of his, so if you are using max stats or something like that, it makes the boss invincible. When you look at their HP, it's literally garbled up numbers and letters.

>> No.10230361
File: 22 KB, 400x362, Hanginginthere.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10230356
forgot to mention this is in regards to FFX

>> No.10230363

>>10230049
I had a strategy guide that pointed out the first two you mention. I had no idea there were more though. I'm gonna go look those up now, thanks

>> No.10230368

>>10230363
If you stay in the same screen as a Drain Deimos or Brain Sucker (the 4-legged things) without alerting it for a little over 1 minute, it'll start to vomit (Drain Deimos) or lay eggs (Brain Sucker). Out of the vomit/eggs come miniature versions of those enemies - a completely secret enemy!

>> No.10230920

>>10228142
Had my copy of FF3 on SNES almost lock up as I boarded the Phantom Train. It finally moved after a hard couple of seconds but when it started moving again the timpani in the train music, and only the timpani, was a half-measure fast. It was kind of hilarious.

>> No.10230956
File: 14 KB, 327x233, 10859.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I do have one from megaman x. in flame mammoth's factory if you manage to get inside one of these pipes you can continue above the ceiling, skipping over a load line and severely breaking the rest of the level.
a similar thing is possible in other levels too but iirc only with high jump cheats

>> No.10231037
File: 46 KB, 584x448, Mega Man X 2023-09-09 19.34.25.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10230956
pic related, enemies in the next area load but have no sprites and the bg palette is all wrong

>> No.10232318

>>10230956
OP here, there's one more smaller bug in the game. basically, you need helmet upgrade to break certain blocks. but they can be broken even without it if you wall slide on them. it's slower and not that reliable, but still possible.

>> No.10233671

NES bugs experiences:

I used techniques that were probably provided by Nintendo Power to go out of bounds in Zelda II (use JUMP, get up on a high building in Darunia, leap into the heavens, use FAIRY) and in Metroid (stand in opened door until it reforms around you, roll and unroll and jump repeatedly to slowly rise through the wall). It was fun to play around in weirdo glitch-data areas. I also tried to do this in Super Mario Bros., by walking through the wall next to the first warp zone, but I don't know that I ever succeeded.

I played Athena at all. That game tends to feel like it's more bug than game.

The one exploitable glitch I ever found on my own was in Crystalis. If you enter a shop and hold one direction (right I think), your cursor will loop rapidly through the shop's inventory. If you press A at the right moment, you can catch the cursor when it's incompletely advanced, and the game will associate some item with the price of the item next to it, which in certain shops allows enormous discounts. You can easily buy certain items below resale price and thereby generate infinite free money. I think I sent this to Nintendo Power, but the NES was a bit old then and they didn't print it.

>> No.10233683

>>10230920

My childhood FF3 got super messed up at some point, randomly scrambling the party's item inventory and stuff. I assume it was because of this bug: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Sketch_bug

>> No.10233731
File: 76 KB, 1280x720, 1693302509764520.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I had the picture related rip of Spyro 3 on a burned CD which triggered the copy protection. But wait, that's not all: I swear it had an additional issue that's never listed as a side-effect where I could only ever play levels from scratch (honestly not sure if I had a memory card at that point or not) by the exact order listed in the Guidebook or else the game would freeze while loading. I had no idea what was going on the entire time and just enjoyed the game as usual.

>> No.10233802
File: 442 KB, 406x557, 1673166778428186.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>playing as Alucard, on the top right portion of this room
>autistically moving through it and the next room over repeatedly for some ungodly reason I can't quite recall
>after enough back and forths, somehow, Alucard ends up warping to the pictured room's top left entrance instead
There's no fucking way this isn't known in some form. Surely it can be harnessed into an actual utility somehow, right? Also I actually remember pulling it off in two different playthroughs and I still have no fucking idea why I was doing this in the first place.

>> No.10233812

>>10232318
I thought that was a second effect of the leg upgrade.

>> No.10235241

>>10233812
oh really? ok. is it documented anywhere in the manual?

>> No.10235254

>>10235241
The manual doesn't even mention anything about the armor upgrades existing, at best a vague hint at the dash and buster upgrades that Dr. Light "didn't add in time". Xtreme for GBC uses the same armor from X1 and outright states that the legs let you break blocks from the side (as X already has the dash from the start).

>> No.10235373

>>10235254
>outright states that the legs let you break blocks from the side
huh, ok, thanks for explaining. for years I thought this was some weird bug. in general, the helm upgrade was gimmicky and not really well-designed.

>> No.10235880
File: 95 KB, 220x220, 1644339664060.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>donkey kong 64
>gloomy galleon
>swimming up from the bottom of the seafloor
>game randomly does the loading zone animation and freezes
>turn game off
and that was the last time I ever played DK64.

>> No.10237593

First glitch I can ever remember was getting stuck in a wall in Bowser's Castle in Super Mario Bros 3. I had understood that standing up in something too short for your full height would push you out, and that sometimes you could clip into things, but it wasn't until almost 25 years later did I actually understand the mechanics behind it.

To achieve a smooth acceleration and movement, SMB3 uses subpixel placement for movement speed. Older games used to tie a character's position to an exact frame (IE, you move at a rate of 1 pixel per frame, or 2 pixels per frame, etc), but in SMB3 it's possible to move at fractions of a frame. In practical terms, your character might move ahead two pixels every frame for most steps, but then occasionally move three pixels due to your subpixel movement speed (Essentially you might be moving at a speed of 2.25 pixels/frame, so when the counter reaches a whole number you get the extra pixel). By moving quickly and hitting a wall at the exact right frame, you can get stuck inside of it because collision detection thinks you're in a place too short for Mario and attempts to push him out of it (Or in this case, pushes you further into the wall).

>> No.10237604

I don't think I've ever run into on real hardware, but one time I played a bad kirby dump where a certain stage of Milkyway Wishes had the graphics glitch up halfway through the stage and suddenly you were in the Marx fight (with glitchy sprites). Beating him did play the ending cutscene, though.

>> No.10237617

>>10237604
I think this has to be a failsafe of some sort because I've experienced the same thing exactly once on real hardware in the mid 90s. I was playing two player with a friend and something went haywire.

>> No.10237621

>>10237604
>>10237617
am i going crazy or didnt you faggots already have this conversation

>> No.10237657
File: 10 KB, 268x188, Sonic 1 ending.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I swear as a kid there was one time that I was able to have Sonic land in Eggman's ship as he flys away, or at least have Eggman's sprite switch to Sonic for some reason, but I've never been able to replicate it

>> No.10238672

>F-Zero in Silence practice mode
>jump over the offroad with the ramp
>suddenly I'm on the ground outside the map taking damage as if I was on top of a guardrail
>go forward for a few seconds until the game freezes
It was cool because I often tried to jump as far outside the tracks as I could.

>Pokemon Red in Sylph Co. building
>beat rocket grunt
>the win music glitches out and sounds like something you'd hear at a court
>I call it the "royal" version of the song

>Super Mario RPG in Booster's Tower
>in the room with enemies behind portraits
>die to an enemy
>I just appear in the room again with 0 HP and the music is slowed down
>can't leave room
>keep dying to enemies and reappearing as the music gets gradually slower
>game freezes
Creepypasta-like.

>Fallout near beginning of the game
>save game during combat then load
>Ian clone appears and starts fighting on my side
>do it again and he keeps multiplying
Pretty sure that was fixed in 1.1.

>Rush 2 in stunt track
>lower gravity then jump outside map with ramps
>if you hit the ground just right you start spinning faster and faster uncontrolably until it looks you're standing still or going backwards
>get either a ridiculous amount of points or no points at all when you finally stop spinning

All when I was a kid, on hardware.

>> No.10239162

I found a DK64 glitch on my own when I was a kid. Once you collect all the blueprints, Snide lets you play minigames when you go into his hut. When you're on the game selection menu, you can either press A to select a game or B to go back. If you press both at the same time the game loads a test room with a few pillars standing in empty black space with a second Donkey Kong forever staring back at you. You can't pause and there's no way to escape unless you reset the system.

>> No.10239174
File: 14 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I once got one of those shovel Chucks' rocks transforming into a Spiny with a weird color palette. It wasn't that specific one in picrel but same level (valley of bowser 4)

>> No.10239189

>>10237617
I was playing co-op with my brother when it happened, too. Must be some kind of weird bug that has to do with co-op.

>> No.10240079

I mentioned this once but,
>GB Looney Tunes start of second level
>be on top of cat then have it go left
>the screen missingnos
aside from that,
>pokemon gen2 pc box got corrupted once
>who knows why it happens
>getting stuck in wall after time-travel in CD first level maybe it was emulator

>> No.10240192
File: 56 KB, 768x432, Ultima Underworld.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10228142
I don't know if it's a bug so much as not thinking things through, but both Ultima Underworld and Ultima Underworld 2 have the following interesting bug/feature

>All items in the game have durability.
>That's intuitive for things like weapons and armor, but actually applies more widely, to things like food items, scrolls, gems, potions, etc.
>This doesn't apply to all items, but damage certain items enough and they break and form a different item entirely. Break a sword, and you'll get a broken sword. You can't fight with it, but it's an item you can carry around if you want.
>Throwing items against the wall will damage them and eventually break them.
>Now, potions don't have a durability descriptor, but they do have durability.
>And if you throw them against a wall, they'll eventually break and form debris.
>However, the debris will still have the same enchantment that drinking the potion gave you.
>And unlike potions, which are hardcoded to disappear after use, debris isn't.
>So you could have a potion of Greater Heal, one use go back to full health instantly. But if you break it into debris, you have full heal on speed dial whenever you need it.
Trivializes the game if you stoop to using this trick.

>> No.10240278
File: 1.20 MB, 256x224, HammerBrosGlitch.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10240328

>>10229197
The programmer for Sonic 3D Blast made a video about it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZs2HUW9tDA

He also release a Director's Cut of the game.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3810/

>>10230003
Not a bug. I've seen this guy twice

>>10238672
>Rush 2 in stunt track
Hell yeah, jumping out of the track was fun times. Don't think I ever landed the car and got points for it though.

>> No.10241958

>parasol stars on pc engine
>after the 2nd boss, all enemies and bosses stayed frozen on the screen

i got bored after the 4th boss

>> No.10243226
File: 270 KB, 475x347, pushover.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]