[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 133 KB, 565x856, Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_508_Textless.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10164816 No.10164816 [Reply] [Original]

In a few months we'll be getting a new Spider-Man video game for Sony's PlayStation 5, and while I know that this in itself isn't retro... its gotten me in a mood for Spider-Man and his video games, which there are tons of, most of them not too good, I'll admit it right now, but a lot of them really feel like hidden gems, I get that free roaming around an open NY, which started with Spider-Man 2, based on the Sam Raimi film, really made fans fall in love with that style, but sometimes it feels like most people act as if there's a hole before Spider-Man 2, where no Spider-Man video game existed, but they did, so let's talk about them.

>What's the 1st Spider-Man video game you've ever played?
>Do you prefer the free roaming NY installments or level based ones?
>Have you played any of his older video games in the last few weeks or months?
>Out of all the ones you've played before do you have a favorite that really stuck with you?

I suppose that, as the OP, I should answer my own questions and see where we go from there. I started out with Return of the Sinister Six on NES, could never finish it as a kid, but did in recent years and loved it again due to the level design, even if it doesn't play too well. I love free roaming, but level based ones just seem more focused, more polished. I've mostly played stuff I didn't give enough attention to as a kid, so Enter Electro and Mysterio's Menace, which are sequels to a title I'll get to, and vs. The Kingpin on Genesis, which is excellent. Neversoft struck gold in 2000, I think nothing after that has topped them.

>> No.10165218

>>10164816
I'm a big fan of the PS1 Spider-Man game from 2000, just replayed it recently. Overall I enjoy the open world games (Spider-Man 2 (2004) and Spider-Man (2018)) more, but Spider-Man (2000) just much more replayable. There's also PC and Dreamcast ports, which have better character models.

>> No.10165223

PSX Spiderman is fantastic. Pretty much the first actually good capeshit game that wasn't a reskinned beat 'em up.

>> No.10165657

>>10164816
For me? Ultimate Spider-Man, for the GBA. It was an open level platformer
Ultimate Spider-man for consoles was good as well. I liked the art style , but some of the context is lost in it, like Green Goblin
Ultimate Spider Man comics were good too. I dropped after the Holefag arc and it was a nice read. It went in a different direction, but I like how they justified not executing villains with S.H.I.E.L.D. wanting to research them. I can see them doing that

>> No.10166275

>>10164816
>Out of all the ones you've played before do you have a favorite that really stuck with you?
not retro but shattered dimensions brought me back to reading spider-man again after marvel chased me away with one more day. noir is probably my favorite spider-man book now.

>Do you prefer the free roaming NY installments or level based ones?
i prefer my superhero games in general to be open world because they help capture the feeling on being a hero out on patrol and stumbling on crimes or the occasional supervillain fights.

i felt USM & TASM2 were more varied in their side content than SM2 with the former having supervillain fights with shocker & boomerrang.

>>10165657
>Ultimate Spider Man comics were good too but it went in a different direction
i always assumed the game took place after the original run. like the chronology was...

original run > game > relaunch > miles

>> No.10166636
File: 70 KB, 500x753, Spider_sense_Inks_by_edbenes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10165218
An open NY is really fun to websling around, I do get the appeal, Spider-Man 2's system especially, with all of that momentum, felt fantastic, but you're right about Neversoft's 2000 installment, it's not only replayable, but was probably the 1st truly stellar Spider-Man video game, I'll never forget my hunt for 100% completion, getting the Quick-Change suit... whoever thought 10.000 points on that training was fair is genuinely insane, I've done it once earlier this year and I'm never doing it again.

>>10165223
Definitely, the 3D especially did wonders for the character and his powers, though I do feel that, besides the Beat 'em Ups, there were a few good ones that felt like the character, mostly the Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin titles, where his powers felt well represented.

>>10165657
I still need to give the GBA stuff the time of day, so far I only did it for Mysterio's Menace due to growing up with the PS1 installments and this sort of being the 3rd installment set in that canon, will download the GBA ROMs today.

>>10166275
Shattered Dimensions reminded me of the last arc in the 1994 TAS, good stuff, also I heard that the DS version is a MetroidVania, which sounds interesting.

>> No.10166830

>>10164816
>Spider Man 2 PS5
Post-2012 Disney not retro

>> No.10166878

>>10166830
can you actually read what the post says or is your brain not developed enough to read more than 10 words of a thread before deciding what to say

>> No.10167652
File: 85 KB, 453x692, EwokW5SUcAA5kaG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10166830
I mentioned those modern releases in the OP to justify my sudden interest in going back to some older Spider-Man releases, but the thread isn't a modern one at all, it's retro, don't worry. Also, to be honest I haven't been able to get into Sony's new releases as much as the old stuff, so while I'm excited for what's to come, my desire to do a revisiting to some older titles is because I just do enjoy them more for some reason.

>> No.10169730
File: 132 KB, 1218x931, 1691495110546644.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10166830
So 2011 Disney is retro?

>> No.10171824
File: 1.31 MB, 2480x3507, Movie Poster 72.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

first played genesis / or x-men&spiderman arcades revenge, both not great.
ones i like: maximum carnage, ultimate spiderman, marvel ultimate alliance series & the capcom fighting games that feature him and venom.

>> No.10172889

>>10164816
I've played
>Spider-Man PS1: Absolutely fantastic, it's a game I find incredibly replayable
>Enter Electro: Good, but even as a kid I felt like it was a bit of a cash in that's probably just a few bits of the first game left on the cutting room floor stitched together
>Spider-Man GBC: Not a huge fan, actually really fucking hard, especially if you miss the upgrades
>1st Movie: Played the PS2 version as a kid, replayed the Xbox version a few years ago. Has it's charms (especially if you love the movie) but it didn't feel as satisfying to play as the Neversoft games (aside from swinging freely above the city)
>2nd Movie: Same as above, played PS2 and replayed Xbox. A pretty fun game and swinging is amazing, for some reason it didn't captivate me the same way as it did when I was a kid (probably because I'm sick of open world stuff now)
>Ultimate: Haven't played it since I was younger, but I remember really enjoying it. Might replay it sometime
Honestly the non-retro ones (SM3, Web of Shadows etc.) are more in my sights than retro ones, but I'd like to try the SNES and Sega CD games.

>> No.10173358

I liked the Sega arcade game. You could play as Namor, that's pretty rare.

>> No.10173520

Spider man 1 for psx is a decent platformer and the first one that I've played. Obviously this one stuck to me the most. Spider man 2 for the ps2 gets points for the awesome web slinging for the time but overall the game just feels kinda lacking and.. "soulless" otherwise. My buddy had enter electro but that one didn't really capture my interest like the first one.
I wasn't a huge nerd but I had some spiderman comics and that era of spiderman was really cool to me desu.

>> No.10174038

>>10172889
>Honestly the non-retro ones (SM3, Web of Shadows etc.) are more in my sights than retro ones, but I'd like to try the SNES and Sega CD games.
A lot of them were rough, but there were good ones, or at least decent ones:
The Amazing Spider-Man (GB): Here you go from left to right, beat up bad guys, fight a boss at the end, it works.
Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin (MD/CD): All versions have their strengths, I prefer the original because of taking pictures and feeling like Peter Parker, but the CD one feels open world.
Return of the Sinister Six (NES): It has good level design for its 1st half.
Maximum Carnage (MD/SNES): A good tradicional beat 'em up

>> No.10174137
File: 628 KB, 544x944, spiderman-sinister-six-gbc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10164816
You ought to give a try or two to GBC.

>> No.10174663

>>10174137
I've completed both of them already, the 1st one with all upgrades, and the 2nd one in the hardest difficulty, that you had to use a code to unlock, or unlocked after completing the hardest difficulty initially available, I don't recall, anyways I guess you could say I finished both of them 100% and it was a good experience... the 2nd one mostly, to me it's pretty much everything 2D Spider-Man should be, with a few flaws here and there, the 1st one looks better, has a darker and more interesting atmosphere, and concepts with more depth, but execution made it more annoying than fun... especially those stupid sewers, and all of the flying enemies, also respawing enemies too, I don't see myself replaying it much, while the 2nd one is a favorite of mine.

>> No.10175507
File: 174 KB, 640x1084, 62011_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10164816
I had Separation Anxiety on SNES growing up and my cousins had Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge. I really like Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin on SEGA CD and I want to try the Dreamcast game as well, phenomenal soundtracks on both