[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 55 KB, 378x263, Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10139482 No.10139482 [Reply] [Original]

What are subtle examples of "jank" in Super Mario 64. Tawdry, unpolished or unfinished ideas...

Eg. for Ocarina of Time
>Link's model doesn't have a baldric
>you can't recall your boomerang anymore (you were initially able to "catch" it, presumably by timing the press) like in OoT3D
>if you skip obtaining magic, the game offers no indication you NEED it to even get the Goddess Spells or Fire Arrows

>> No.10139698

>>10139482
>Link's model doesn't have a baldric
Yeah, at least they fixed that in MM
>if you skip obtaining magic, the game offers no indication you NEED it to even get the Goddess Spells or Fire Arrows
I'm pretty sure someone in the game tells you you should visit the great fairy at the top of Death Mountain

>> No.10139723

>>10139482
You didn't play the game.

>> No.10139793

No jank besides the camera. Mario 64 is flawless otherwise.

>> No.10139806

>>10139482
The first few levels have some semblance of a story to them, where the the level "evolves" as stars are collected. I think this was the intention behind being kicked out of the level after collecting a star but it gets dropped pretty early on.

>> No.10140521

>>10139482
iirc there's a mechanic (bug?) where if you perfectly wall jump the first frame you touch the wall, you keep all of the speed you had, and get the wall kick speed on top of that

i'd keep that but give the player more frames to conserve the speed at the cost of losing more of that original speed the later they press

>> No.10140528

>>10139793
yeah I love it when I flick the analog stick the opposite direction from my character's current direction and he walks in a full circle to turn around

>> No.10140589

>>10139806
This is a good point. There's a lot of talking in the first (and arguably the most memorable) levels of SM64 - you talk to the Bobomb King, you talk to Koopa the Quick, you get to know the pink Bobombs, you talk to the penguins in the first ice world... and then the talking kinda goes away.

>> No.10141181

>>10139482
Idiot zoomer retards such as yourself are in no position to accuse a game of being "unpolished" when it was busy being innovative beyond anything available on consoles at the time.

>> No.10141336

>>10141181
>larping zoomer pretending they were there regurgitated a youtuber's opinion, pt 5828
it was nothing special at the time, quit larping, you weren't there

>> No.10141616

>>10139806
>>10140521
>>10140589
Thanks for being the only intelligent people in this thread. Quality of this board has gone down.

>> No.10141645

>>10139698
>I'm pretty sure someone in the game tells you you should visit the great fairy at the top of Death Mountain
Navi even reminds you of it if you skip it for whatever reason

>> No.10143874

>>10141616
So leave. It's all doom and gloom anon, nothing can save it now. Yet here you are on this sinking ship, you're so enlightened to see this but rather than leaving, you stay.
You're not even trying to bail water out of this sinking ship, you're standing there with your arms folded, thinking you're so goddamn smart that you seeing the writing on the wall. I fucking hate people like you. Improve your posting habits and lead by example or fucking leave.

I'm not doing it ironically, and I know I'm taking your bait you little shit. I've been lurking this thread and I'm calling you out for being a cunt for constantly crying this board's doomed, and now that I've engaged with you now we're gonna go in circles over stupid shit until we both get wiped for off topic. But I don't really care at this point, at this point if anons check the deleted posts they're going to see a sperg that's tired of seeing cunts like you.