[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 138 KB, 640x447, dkc2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1010923 No.1010923 [Reply] [Original]

Just beat Donkey Kong Country 2 on the SNES with 102% for the first time. I've played it many times as a kid and only beat the lost world by using the 75 krem coins cheat in the first level after beating the game 7 or 8 times before that and only getting maybe 80% by the end.

Were you able to beat this game 102% without any guides or outside help? A few of those DK coins were completely stupid and Cranky gave me shit for hints. As usual when I beat a game I thought I would read a few reviews people had and I came across with 4/10 review and it got me wondering, does anybody actually feel this way? Maybe it's just because I've played the game so many times but it seems very easy to control and avoid enemies.

Heres the link http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588283-donkey-kong-country-2-diddys-kong-quest/reviews/review-143544

General DKC thread, feel free to post pics

>> No.1011373

I've 102%'d this game twice, first time without any sort of guide and ironically it was the second time that I wussed out and looked up the location of two DK or Krem Koins.

>> No.1011385

>>1010923

Great job on 102%! I couldn't do it without a guide as a kid, but if I were to play it again nowadays maybe I could do it from memory or just logic (following bananas, or using Cranky, or exploring).

Also, about the review and your question if people agree, that's a damn good question. You're experienced, you've put in the work, so obviously your perspective is going to be skewed towards the game you enjoyed investing time and understanding. Maybe that dude had a thorn in his foot from when he was walking on Brambles. Who gives a fuck? DKC2 is awesome.

>> No.1011392

I could not get past that damn level where you have to ride the carts. Its been a while but if I remember correctly you have to beat it with a certain amount of time left otherwise you lost. But other than that it was tons of fun.

>> No.1011518
File: 397 KB, 720x400, hurrrr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1011385
It's actually quite doable without a guide, I think there's only one or two coins that don't follow the same logic as the other hidden bonuses.

It really helps that the game shows you whether or not you've collected everything in the level.

>> No.1011940

I loved this game when I was a kid, still do. I finished it with 102% without a guide, its not like you could just google it back then. I dont recall it being overly difficult, and Im not even particularly good at platformers.

>> No.1011985

As a kid I only had pirated games that couldn't save so I never really tried to 100% these games, as I would need to do it in one sitting.

When I played on emulator later (a few years ago) I did beat it without a guide. Unfortunately before even playing the game I had already read an article about how DK2 is a well designed game and such, and it spoiled a DK coin a little bit, saying how one of them is inside a bonus level. It didnt said what level though.

I liked the game but didn't like the enemy designts too much.

I also beat DK3 without guides and it is my favorite game of them all.

I didn't even try to 100% the first one since it looked like many bonus levels where impossible to find without jumping blindly into pits.

>> No.1012010

>>1011985
DK2 and DK3 were easy to 100% due to flags.

>> No.1012028

stfu op
nobody cares fag

>> No.1012031

>>1012028
Contribute or fuck off.

>> No.1012060

I did it all recently, I only used a guide once because for some reason they decided to put a DK coin IN a bonus level.

>> No.1012084

Snes platformers are boring collectathons

>> No.1012109

>>1012084
But that's untrue.
Actually, most were made before that trend.
It's later Playstation era stuff that standardized it.
Thank Sonic for starting that bullshit.

>> No.1012316

Never cared enough to 102% this game (or most other games, really) but I still love the hell out of them.
I suppose I lie more on the speedrun side of the spectrum when it comes to "doing games well."

>> No.1012836

>>1012109

And Rare for thinking that was great gameplay design...

>> No.1012869

>>1012109
It didn't start that. The only Sonic game that had a save function was Sonic 3, and if you notice most collect-a-thons have a save function because it is a way to lengthen the game like the Donkey Kong Country games.

>> No.1012876

>>1012109
how did sonic start it?

>> No.1012893

>>1012109
>Sonic started it

What

>> No.1012925

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P82DWBr3ZkY&list=PL9C02F05A9DAA29E7

DKC2 has some of my favorite in game music, last night in fact i listened to the whole soundtrack.

>> No.1013249
File: 76 KB, 890x203, sonicfield.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1012876
>>1012893
I assume he means with CHAOS EMERALDS

>> No.1013586

>>1012060
DK Coin in a bonus level, I could never figure that out. And then for the Ghostly Grove level (first level in the gloomy gulch area) Cranky gives you a tip which is "Things are starting to look up" and all that is up at the begining of the level is a floating guy and he just gives you bananas. The coin is in some super stupid under the level area that I could never find. And the last thing I could never find was the bonus stage in Chain Link Chamber, Cranky says "When bombs are dropping down on you, find a way past who is responsible" and I always figured he meant the secret wall to get the DK coin but apparantly he meant going through another secret wall and rolling through the guys dropping the canon balls to find the door

Good to know other people had the same problems as me.

>>1012925
Love the bramble music, even though I hated the level as a kid.

So here is something I wanted to do, what is your general idea of the storyline between all the events that happened in the Kong universe for these three donkey kong country games?

>> No.1013615

>>1013586
This is my idea of the events that happened in the first game.

Donkey Kong and Diddy live on this island called Donkey Kong island and it's shaped like his head for some reason. The kremlins came and stole his bananas and have infested the area. They dug mines for some reason (to find bananas?) and made a power plant and poisoned the river. K Rool brings his boat up to the island to take all the Bananas that his boss buddies have hoarded. Donkey Kong and Diddy beat him up and get back the Bananas.

THEN, they follow K rool to his island. The ship crashes into the side of the island and K Rool kidnaps Donkey Kong. Now I think Diddy and Dixie come in another ship? On the world map for DKC2 you see in the first area that the ship says K ROOL on the side so they must have all been on this ship? However they ended up on the island, you can see broken boats all around the island and lots of pollution. So they go through all these areas of the island and if you look at each map you can see cool features like the crashed ships.

I guess all the kremlings hang out at the carnival area and have a good time but you bash through there and fuck them all up and eventually get to king zing sting and kill him like you killed his wife in the first one. So you get to K Rool again but he escapes after you destroy the island in the end and that starts the 3rd game.

Does this all seem to make sense or is there something wrong with how I thought the games were connected?

>> No.1013628

>>1013615
I always thought that diddy went to the ship at the beginning to try and find donkey kong, only to find it crashed and deserted

>> No.1013643
File: 341 KB, 1029x928, dkc2map.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1013628
I'm not too sure, and now I'm interested in finding a proper outline of the story from the creators, but I don't have any guides or manuals explaining anything.

From what I see in the overworld view and the level view of the first world is that K ROOL's ship seems in tact, like he just docked it and ran away. But there are like 3 other ships, maybe 4 around the island that are smashed up.

So I found this image and it shows 2 ships smashed. One is in the Swamp area and the other is in the Crocodile Couldron area. K ROOL's ship looks fine. Either way, this looks like a shitty island to live on

>> No.1013648

>>1013643
>nvm i just looked closer and his ship has a huge hole in it

Thus the reason for that one swimming level!
>>1013628
is correct

And now I am off to start a 103% run through on DKC3