[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 87 KB, 640x480, 1681024649937031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10094180 No.10094180 [Reply] [Original]

Let's make on thing clear.
Mentally stunted virgin hoarders who want to keep arcade machines in their house and obsess over someone dumping their "private property" of second-hand PCBs have contributed nothing to arcade preservation, and are just coping with their sexual frustrations by collecting rare shit and keeping it for themselves.
Chad small arcade owners interested in keeping the arcade experience alive and strong in their communities are the people who actually share and are preserving history.

Thank your local small arcade owner, and sleep with your local hoarder's mother.

>> No.10094223

>seething so hard you have to make a separate thread
Yikes.

>> No.10094378

nobody cares fag

>> No.10094459

If you want to keep arcades going you're going to have to do something about the cost. You have alternatives via emulation, making a shell of a cabinet around a screen and hooking up two arcade sticks to it, but people on here go ape shit whenever that's brought up.

>> No.10094686

>>10094180
u mad?

>> No.10095269

>>10094459
I have a couple machines and a couple boards i wanted to make some shitty housing for. Wanted to set up a shitty 3rd world arcade in my garage and let kids in neighborhood use it ,but its an issue when it rains and water goes through my garage since its on a decline. Guess i will just keep it in my basement for my own use.

>> No.10096572
File: 55 KB, 334x203, 1661805169809396.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10095269
>Guess i will just keep it in my basement for my own use.

>> No.10096591

>>10094180
>Chad small arcade owners interested in keeping the arcade experience alive
do they even exist? sounds like the stuff of legend to me.

>> No.10096629

>>10096591
They do, there's one near me that has a great arcade with weekly tournaments and everything. Chad as fuck guy.

>> No.10096747

>>10094180
>sees arcade machines
>thinks about sex
You ok OP?

>> No.10096852

>>10096747
That’s how hoardercels see it

>> No.10097380

Where do I find a small arcade full of borderline-rigged strip mahjong games?

>> No.10097412

>seething about hoarders
>not realizing that a lot of modern western arcades are buying their inventory off of these "hoarders" who kept the boards running for decades after they went out of use
If collectorfags didn't buy old cabs and boards, a lot of operators would've just thrown them away or let them decay in a warehouse.

>> No.10097424

>>10095269
No offense but this is how you get the reputation and rumor of being the neighborhood molestor

>> No.10097534

>>10094223
Nothing wrong with what he's preaching to me

>> No.10097539

>>10096629
They do, there's a place called High Scores here in the SF Bay area and they used to do $5 an hour or $10 all day on their collection of all the good arcade games, but since covid it's more expensive now

http://www.highscoresarcade.com/

>> No.10097549

>>10097539
meant for

>>10096591

>> No.10097595

>>10094180
Just added a 4th arcade to my collection. No one is allowed to play them. Seethe.

>> No.10097710

>>10094180
To be fair I don't think most people really do this. I have seen some nice handmade cabinets though

>> No.10097719

You are a subhuman and need to learn what a real hoarder is, luckily there are shows about it for subhuman trash like you

>> No.10097732

>>10094459
>If you want to keep arcades going you're going to have to do something about the cost. You have alternatives via emulation
Yeah, soooooo....about that.

>Sanwa or comparable quality parts are easily accessible
>community sourced encoders and JAMMA solutions are easily accessible
>you can make a cab out of any material
>I can pop in a MiSTer FPGA or Raspberry Pi for games

But where am I gonna get an arcade monitor?

>> No.10097734

>>10097424
No offense but this is how you undermine the foundations of community in your neighborhood.

>> No.10097736

>>10094180
>posts about muh small arcades keeping muh hobby alive
>posts a picture of an abandoned arcade that was raised by a guyjean and all of its cabinets sold to importers
Please.

>> No.10097739

>>10097734
No, you did that by attracting children to your garage with video games and then raping them. It was especially bad when you made that girl ride up and down on that Seimitsu joystick.

>> No.10097743

>>10097412
it was small arcade owners. keep deluding yourself that you're somehow important or in any way valuable to society, though
>>10097719
hoardercel going into baby rage mode

>> No.10097754

>>10094180
the hoarders would open arcades themselves if there weren't jewish copyright laws preventing them from doing so

>> No.10097793

>>10097734
You are based but we live in a low trust society. If you offered this to me and my kids I'd shake my head, but walk away wishing what could be

>> No.10097794

>>10097734
This nigga never saw the special episode of different strokes.

>hey kids. My arcade machines produce alot of heat. Why don't we take off our shirts to game better.

>> No.10097808

>>10097794
Ohbshit. Wait that was the show with Tina and Tamara little brother. The boy genius one.

Odd number of shows about black kids abandoning their white friend to be molested by the neighborhood molester.

>> No.10097838

>>10097424
Original anon, but not the first one that responded to you. Yea im aware of the "you will never see ur kid again" implications. The plan was just on the weekends i would open my garage door and hang up a sign at the end of the back alley indicating there was an arcade down it and everything would have been on 25 cents a play.

>> No.10097849

>>10097838
>having to put up a sign indicating there was an arcade down a suspicious back alley
i don't think you thought this through

>> No.10097865

>>10097849
Idk, how did the 3rd world arcades advertise like in south America where every street looks like a suspicious back alley?

>> No.10098315

>>10097865
People came in looking to sell their children. They stayed for the games.

>> No.10098719

>>10097732
There are lots of groups out there. You can also grab a kerbside CRT and mod it.

>> No.10098734
File: 609 KB, 2056x1536, XyK5TrTEC4uNwlwuJ7AqeEPNBROfl33mAd8DlHWq--c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10097732
>>10098719
This. If you want to be super autistic about it you can look into the specific tube make and model codes for the arcade machine you're imitating and pick a consumer set that used the same tube.
http://vidiotarcade.com/tech/donor-tvs.htm

>> No.10098741

>>10098734
>image
What is actually impressed here? Some mask? The glass?
I had a monitor that had the same effect but for the Windows 2000 login screen. It was only really noticeable when turned off or if you looked hard enough.

>> No.10098742

>>10094180
based and truthpilled

>> No.10098756

>>10098734
damn, I might as well just RGB/Component mod my tv.

>> No.10098789

>>10098741
Horrible degree of burn-in.

>> No.10098801

>>10097732
>But where am I gonna get an arcade monitor?
You can still find loose arcade monitors around. If not, you can buy a K7000 chassis (very common, lots of documentation, relatively easy to service, only downside is that the PCB was seemingly designed by a retard so all the traces look like sloppy spaghetti for some reason) and look up a suitable donor tube like the other anon suggested.

>> No.10098802
File: 14 KB, 618x512, crt-burn-in-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10098741
It's the electron beam etching into the phosphor mask which generally happens to monitors that aren't maintained such as public arcade games and server monitors.
>>10098756
Do it faggot. Most people won't know or care if it's a little different, the fact it's a CRT at all is enough for normies to think it's original.

>> No.10098860

>>10098719
Yep, thats why i have a basement full of em. I like using them especially for building up ghetto ass cabinets I have loose boards for.

>> No.10098867

I'm thinking of using a spare mx8000 I got lying to make a cabinet with, building a shell for it and outfitting it with a pair of beolab 4000s and Sanwa parts. Anyone got any good info or tutorials on building something that can handle the weight of such a TV?

>> No.10098902

>>10098734
>>10098801
>common
Not really. You *might* be able to pull off doing that for a small private collection of arcade machines in your home. But that's never going to work for a public arcade business. Kids and people abuse the hell out of public arcade machines. Old Machines from the 90s, 80s, etc are now considered antiques. They won't be able to stand up to the pounding of busy public arcades anymore. The first thing to break will be the monitor.

And Outside the USA, good arcade CRT monitors and tubes have become increasingly scarce. And it's very difficult to find any qualified CRT repair technicians who can keep these old beasts running. Many have retired or died. The last CRT Factory in the world shut down in 2007. We've been coasting off old inventory for 16 years. Things have dried up.

Even new old stock has problems. I bought 4 never opened K7000 CRT monitors that were still stored sealed in the box from the factory. Stored in a climate controlled warehouse. All them of failed within hours and days of plugging them in. They needed a complete overhaul.

These old electronics were never designed to last this long.

>> No.10098907
File: 384 KB, 2082x1578, dam it..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10098902
Did you forget you're on an electronics enthusiast board? Obviously this isn't easy, and for me at least, that's the point. I can imagine having a hard time selling a whole arcade business on the idea, but for places like family restaurants that like having a few of these old games as original as possible it's not impossible to sell them on the idea of refurbishment.

Fact is, nothing is made to last long. What does last long is your ability to diagnose and fix problems.

>> No.10098925

>>10098907
The issue is that you are mixing business with pleasure. There is a hidden cost to maintaining these old machines that many places will not tolerate. You may like tinkering and playing around with old parts, but normies do not.

>family restaurants that like having a few of these old games as original as possible it's not impossible to sell them on the idea of refurbishment.

Not anymore. Family restaurants don't want antiques that have issues being maintained. If a family restaurant wants a small arcade (which is rare these days), they would opt for something newer. Probably made in the last 10 years. Maybe something from the Raw Thrills company. Probably a driving game and a shooting game. And they wouldn't do the maintenance themselves. They would contract it out to a vendor who would maintain the machines. Then split the profits 50/50 between the vendor and restaurant. That's how it was done even in the old days. Pizza hut or Dominoes didn't maintain the machines themselves. If something broke, they called a guy.

The only viable business model for old arcade machines these days are basically 3 options:

1. Freeplay Arcade - For this to work you must have a big collection of games. A lot of newer and old arcade games. Something like Galloping Ghost in Chicago where you charge a flat fee for entrance and people can play all day. Games ranging from 1980s to 2010s.

2. Barcade - You make your money on the food and drinks. The machines are set to freeplay, or (if you are greedy) you have it set to take money with a card.

3. Arcade Museum - Basically you market your place as a coin-op museum. And you fill it with a wide variety of machines including pinball. People will treat the machines more gently since it's a museum and you tell them to be mindful. The idea is to have lots of variety. You could either charge a flat fee, or have them come in and use quarters just like the old days.

>> No.10098967

>>10098925
Modern vendors rarely have old arcade systems offered, it's usually the raw thrills stuff like you mentioned. Privately owned machines are a different story however, I wonder who could possibly repair those.
>You may like tinkering and playing around with old parts, but normies do not.
Hmmm...

Seriously though, that photo is from a local family restaurant that has privately owned machines and I've always wanted to fix them up. Maybe I'll suggest doing a panel display conversion, but it wouldn't surprise me if they want the CRT look as they advertise their "vintage arcade games". The place has been operating for over 50 years. Probably a unicorn case, obviously this doesn't apply most places.

>> No.10098970

U

>> No.10098990
File: 117 KB, 960x717, garage arcade collector.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10098967
>Maybe I'll suggest doing a panel display conversion, but it wouldn't surprise me if they want the CRT look as they advertise their "vintage arcade games".

I'd prefer to keep the CRT for the vintage look. Why not offer to buy the games off them? Do you have the skills to repair it yourself? It might need a cap kit, or the flyback needs to be replaced. If you have the know how you could bring it back to working order.

I guarantee you that old machines aren't around anymore. You used to be able to walk into places from 2000 to 2010. If they had old arcade machines you could usually talk the owner into maybe selling them to you for cheap. They were just looking to get rid of them. Those days are long gone.

If you place still has some machines around then it is definitely

>The place has been operating for over 50 years. Probably a unicorn case, obviously this doesn't apply most places.

I gotta give them credit for staying in business that long and keeping their machines working. What other cabinets do they have? Any other pics?

As much as I would like it to not be the case, it seems like it definitely is a Unicorn case. I haven't seen a restaurant with old arcades inside it since the early 2000s. One was an old Asian restaurant that had a Lobby Waiting Area. It had some beat up looking Pac Mac, Marvel VS Capcom, and Neo geo cabs. Another was a local grocery store also from the early 2000s. It had a pinball machine and a Neo Geo. Both closed down years ago. Haven't seen old arcades since then.

>Modern vendors rarely have old arcade systems offered, it's usually the raw thrills stuff like you mentioned. Privately owned machines are a different story however, I wonder who could possibly repair those.

There are a few repair people and small specialty repair shops that remain. However, the issue is the cost of shipping it, wait time, and repair costs. Very pricey. Many collectors prefer to do repairs themselves if possible.

>> No.10099007

>>10098734
>pick a consumer set that used the same tube
>http://vidiotarcade.com/tech/donor-tvs.htm
That's not what that link says. It's a list of consumer TVs that have tubes that will work with various arcade chassis. Just because something works as a replacement doesn't mean it's the same as the original.

>> No.10099065

>>10098990
I'd love to buy them but they're advertised as a part of the dining experience. That said they only get serviced once they stop working completely, so they get to looking pretty rough. They have a second location with different games which I can't speak for. If I get the chance I'll head over later today and take some photos to illustrate the issues but here's a qrd:
>Street Fighter II screen looks good, for some reason has circle gated sticks which don't feel good to play on, hardly anyone touches it.
>Arkanoid screen good, spinner works well, has a slight amount of play that could stand to be tightened down.
>Ms. Pac-Man plays and looks great because of course it does.
>RoboCop pin is noticably underpowered all over and is difficult to play properly. Not level. Sound works fine though.
>Joust screen way too dark, colors not quite accurate, monitor board needs recap and adjustment likely. Barely playable.
>Burgertime cocktail works intermittently. Screen looks great, but the game itself would randomly not be in service. It was fixed recently I believe. The coin door isn't locked, I'm not sure if that's on purpose.
>Donkey Kong cocktail screen is very blue and high score table doesn't display properly, but works otherwise
It kills me to see them all fucked up like that but I get it, can't be obsessively repairing every little thing as it's not budget friendly.

>I guarantee you that old machines aren't around anymore.
I see them around still but I'll admit it's a far cry from what it used to be like. I'm sorry to hear about those locations shutting down. I remember a local movie theatre had a Lucky and Wild sitdown cab which was a blast to play obviously. That's long gone. I feel if someone offered an on-site repair service it'd do well in my area, there's a surprising amount of arcade games in various bars and restaurants. There's a place with some 52-in-1 jamma board, the left player stick is unmounted from the control panel. How does that even happen?

>> No.10099090

>>10099007
>Replacent tubes aren't original!!
No kidding. Not "the same" meaning identical, but functionally indistinguishable as a result of matching pinout and yoke values. In theory so long as the pinout and yoke values match the old tube they're functionally the same spec, but you're right when you say that replacing a tube inherently makes it not "the same". Sorry for not being specific enough for your sake.

>> No.10099142

>>10099090
Holy cope! lol
Google harder kiddo

>> No.10099183

>>10099065
>>10098967
>Privately owned machines are a different story however, I wonder who could possibly repair those.

I know of a guy who somehow makes a living doing arcade repair.

He basically offers his repair services to both private collectors and local businesses that need arcade repairs. I don't know if it's enough money to make a living and save for the future....but he seems to be doing ok I guess? He lives in a major city so that probably helps with business I suppose.

He's constantly on arcade forums, Facebook, etc always buying parts. As far as I know he's the only person in his local city area that offers this type of business. The line guy in an entire city. It's probably barely enough to be profitable considering retro arcades are old now.

If someone else worked in the same territory as him there definitely wouldn't be enough business for both of them and they would probably have to kill eachother highlander style so only one could survive.

>> No.10099219

>>10099142
>Just because something works as a replacement doesn't mean it's [functionally] the same as the original.
You're overlooking the purpose of replacement parts, but thanks for your input (?)
>>10099183
It comes down to how available your time is and if you can effectively price it. Some people will pay whatever you ask for a full restoration, others want to do the bare minimum, you can price the service appropriately.

If someone just so happened to be stepping on toes by starting a competing service, it'd be a good idea to apply to work for the first place instead of starting a second. It's tempting to have healthy competition but maybe not at the expense of eating someone else's lunch.

Anyways, I've got some things to think about on the matter. Thanks for the measured conversation.

>> No.10099570

thread immediately filled up with hoarders talking about how to hoard and what are the best practices for hoarding

i hate all of you

>> No.10099736

>>10094180
It's not just about the arcades. Cabinets need to get back to places like malls, corner stores, and laundromats. Machines used to be everywhere but suddenly disappeared. Are the maintenance costs really not worth it? Why did every single small business get rid of their dedicated arcade machine overnight. I still see stupid claw machines sometimes but never an arcade cabinet anymore.

>> No.10099913

>>10099219
>You're overlooking
Just correcting an ignorant childs misinformation. If you don't like it do better.

>> No.10100359

>>10099570
The grapes really aren't sour.

>> No.10100368
File: 208 KB, 1280x716, 1669270136803.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10099736
>It's not just about the arcades. Cabinets need to get back to places like malls, corner stores, and laundromats.
Those were the days. I miss them.

>Machines used to be everywhere but suddenly disappeared. Why did every single small business get rid of their dedicated arcade machine overnight.

A few reasons:

1. Arcade machines stopped earning big money. Kids weren't coming around and playing them. They were staying home and playing PS2 and Xbox. Imagine you are a 7-Eleven owner. Your mini-arcade in the store used to earn around $3 thousand dollars a month. Now it makes barely $200 dollars a month. The arcade machines are just taking up space you could use for more drinks and food.

2. Japanese companies became afraid and abandoned the Western Market. Japanese companies thought arcades in the West were dead. Sega, Namco, SNK, Konami, etc...literally closed down their arcade factories in North America and Europe. Which meant almost no new arcade games got released in the West. Except for a few dance and rhythm games which had be shipped and imported overseas which drove up costs.

From 2000 to about 2012, Japan thought the western arcade was dead and they left the Western market. They were wrong. There was still a demand in movie theater arcades, and arcade businesses like Dave and Busters, Round 1, etc. This allowed new American companies like Raw Thrills to become the dominant force. They released games like Terminator Salvation, Fast and Furious driving, etc. By the time Japan realized their mistake, they tried to come back to the West and release new arcade games. But it was too late. Raw Thrills was the dominant arcade manufacturer. Japanese games are the minority now

3. Crime and vandalism became a problem in some major cities. There were concerns that arcades in stores and landromats would attract the "wrong" crowd and they would hassle customers. Stores changed their policies from welcoming customers to saying "Buy something and GTFO."

>> No.10100768

Around my area there's a few smaller arcade places, but they're more dedicated to experiences like bowling, go-karts, and laser tag, among other things. They're all sorta off-shoots of Chuck E. Cheese made with more of a teenage demographic in mind, but there's some good stuff in them if you really go looking (and are willing to pay).

More of where you find proper arcade set-ups these days are around the entrances to movie theaters and shockingly enough, Walmart, but there are still a few running around the dying mall in my town.

That being said, probably the best place for playing proper arcade games is, of all places, my local community college, which is set-up with a small gaming area around the front entrance lounge with a few of those Arcade 1-Up machines with several different games on em, as well as an old pinball machine.

It's sort of weird to see this for me, because there were several old hole in the wall spots where I used to live that had several small arcades set-up. I actually used to live over a local arcade which my mom helped manage when I was a kid--this was all early 2000s in small town Wisconsin/Illinois. Now, they're seemingly all gone.

It's weird, because there's plenty of places where I think one of these set-ups would genuinely just be passive income, especially if you set them to actually take money.

>> No.10100791

>>10100768
>community college, which is set-up with a small gaming area around the front entrance lounge with a few of those Arcade 1-Up machines with several different games on em

Technically illegal. But whatever. Arcade1Up specifically forbids any use of their products outside of personal use. No commercial settings or public use.

Which makes sense. Arcade1Ups are essentially big toys. They aren't built to the same standards as public arcade machines. They use cheaper and thinner wood. The joysticks and buttons are cheaper. It has cheaper plastic more prone to cracking. Everything is made with the idea that it will be used only by a few family members in a house.

It can't stand up to the pounding of a daily public arcade. Kids and adults abuse the hell out of arcade machines. Even on normal Arcade machines, things break down often. Joysticks break, buttons malfunction, steering wheels stop responding, monitors malfunction, etc.

There was an Arcade business near a school that filled the business with Arcade1up cabinets for all their machines. School Kids went there every day. After several months, the machines were falling apart, and he had to eventually shut down and replace them with true arcade machines.

>> No.10100818

>>10099913
I'm sure you believe you did, but you haven't explained how functionally identical replacement parts don't serve the same purpose as the originals. You're being pedantic for no apparent reason beyond posturing.

>> No.10100825

>>10100791
>technically illegal
Maybe, but let's be fair, I don't think anybody would really care about them being set up for free use in a school lounge area.
I don't see too many randomly placed arcade cabs in my area, outside of some Raw Thrills (and maybe others) games at one of the local Cinemark locations. Used to be a small arcade in the twilight years (~6 years ago) of the now closed and under renovation mall. Even though finding cabinets in the wild is a rarity, there's a few barcades type things around here, one of which is a chain (FreePlay) which has a large amount of games at each of the locations I've been to.

>> No.10100842
File: 184 KB, 1483x1677, 1670692142155.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10100825
>Maybe, but let's be fair, I don't think anybody would really care about them being set up for free use in a school lounge area.
I don't personally care about the illegal paet, but if I were a student there then it would tell me that the school is being cheap. I would want something a bigger and robust. Have you seen the Arcade1up sit down racing cabinets? I've tried them personally. They are awful to use. Way too cramped. Knees don't fit. They are child size. There's no Comfortable way to play as an adult. Yet this is sold and marketed to adults.

>> No.10100913

>>10100842
I suspect they're sold and marketed to adults for their children.

>> No.10100928

>>10100842
How much are they charging for this that the control panel looks cheaper than a Tomy Turbo Dashboard?

>> No.10101017

>>10100928
I believe it was first sold for around $600 or $700 dollars. But that was a few years ago.

>> No.10101021

>>10100818
>but you haven't taken my strawman cope bait
And I won't. I called bullshit when a retarded child said "a consumer set that used the same tube" and that's all I'm going to do. Aside from mocking you for sperging out and coping about your fail.

>> No.10101035
File: 119 KB, 953x588, eminem-donkey-kong-second-scoree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10094180

>> No.10101245

>>10101035
That is quite a good score for a casual player. I would like to see his cabinet set-up.

>> No.10101264

>>10101035
fucking based

>> No.10101826

>>10101021
All for nothing. Do better.