[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 482 KB, 1268x1530, 1355657051563.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1009154 No.1009154 [Reply] [Original]

Why do people prefer the original Doom to Doom II? I don't understand it. Doom II is surely objectively better:

>Super shotgun
>Much bigger and more complex levels. Arguably far superior level design. Doom was mostly corridors while II also had wide open spaces and much more variety in general.
>More textures etc
>Many more enemies which mix the gameplay with their attacks. Facking chaingun guard, rocket skeletons, Archviles, Plasma Arachnids, Mancubus, etc.
>Dat Icon of Sin
>Entirely subjective, but I preferred Doom II's music

I mean they are both obviously splendid games but I don't get why somebody would prefer the first. Please explain.

>> No.1009167

I agree but original doom location and environments where better then being on earth

>> No.1009190

>>1009167
The city maps in Doom2 are so awful.

>> No.1009196

Doom 2 levels start sucking at around half the game and rarely offer interesting stuff like every episode of 1. They should have ended the game at Gauntlet or something.

>> No.1009197

>>1009196
>Gauntlet
I meant Factory

>> No.1009204

>Much bigger and more complex levels. Arguably far superior level design. Doom was mostly corridors while II also had wide open spaces and much more variety in general.

>implying that's a good thing with hitscan enemies

>> No.1009215

I'm one of those people. Doom 2 was obviously more varied and faster-paced, but I thought the design just came together perfectly in the first game. Doom 2 is more of a balls-out slaughterfest, and I love it for what it is, but the first game has always had a creepy tension about it, wandering through all those dark, tight corridors with flickering lights when suddenly, a single nine-foot goat man catches you off guard and starts throwing fireballs up your ass. One minute, you're obviously in a military installation, but you walk through a door and find yourself in a stone room with a blood fountain. I don't think they really tried as much to make the player feel uncomfortable in Doom 2. You can't trust your surroundings in Doom 2 because you know the designers put some HA! GOTCHA! trap on every helpful item, but in Doom 1 you can't trust your surroundings because everything is dark, confusing, and uncertain.

Plus there are no Sandy Petersen levels.

>> No.1009230

The reason a lot of people like Doom 1 more than Doom 2 is because it was a bit more stripped down (I prefer the larger variety of monsters and weapons in Doom 2 though), and because of Knee Deep in the Dead. That opening episode was 20 years ago now but the Doom community is still churning out homage mapset after homage mapset that tries to replicate Knee Deep in the Dead (because it's really good).

>>1009154
>Much bigger and more complex levels. Arguably far superior level design.

Episode 1 of Doom 1 shits over most of what's in Doom 2.

>>1009215
>Plus there are no Sandy Petersen levels.

Yeah, but there are a fuck ton of Tom Hall levels that were 50% finished and "polished" up by Petersen, though. Which is 1000 times worse.

>> No.1009240

>>1009230
>>1009215
Expanding on my Petersen/Hall comment, Petersen's maps in Doom 2 are much better because he had the freedom to actually create his own map bases (as opposed to just fill in what Tom had already done) and he actually had time to do interesting shit with the engine he was working with. Maps like Tricks & Traps, The Courtyard and Monster Condo fucking own and stand out from the rest of Doom 2 because of how wacky and experimental Petersen was. Of course, his experimentation also led to shit maps like Nirvana, The Pit and The Chasm but his good stuff outweighs the bad.

>> No.1009250

Super shotgun is an overpowered piece of shit that ruined the balance of Doom's weapons. Almost three times the damage of the shotgun for only two times the ammunition. The entire game devolves into all SSG, all the time.

>> No.1009260

Doom 1 took place on the moon and in hell. I thought it had a cooler atmosphere

>> No.1009261

>>1009250
To expand on this:
People measure enemy health in how many SSG shots are needed to kill it. When that happens, you know you have an overpowered weapon. The number of pellets per shot mean that it's a reliable weapon for stunning anything, even Archviles or Cyberdemons. The huge amount of shells placed in Doom 2's maps doesn't help, either. Its damage can theoretically outperform a rocket's, except it's a good idea to use the SSG up close, while a rocket would be suicide.

>> No.1009265

>>1009250
I prefer Doom 1, but the SSG is balanced in Doom 2 by all of the harder enemies, double ammo consumption, and half firing speed. If you main the SSG against zombies and imps and shit, you will run out of shells a lot, and if you miss, you leave yourself wide open for like two whole seconds (which is easily enough time to get fucked up in a lot of places).

>> No.1009271

>>1009265
>harder enemies
Trivialized by the SSG. See >>1009261

>double ammo consumption
For almost triple the damage.

>half firing speed
Wasn't enough to stop it from being the dominant weapon. You can't seriously tell me you play Doom 2 and don't use the SSG the majority of the time.

>you will run out of shells a lot
Not with the huge amounts of shells maps give you.

>and if you miss
Well, that's assuming the player can't shoot at slow-moving demons. If they can't do that, they've got bigger problems than missing with the SSG.

>> No.1009285

The first six to eight levels of Doom II are great.

Then you find yourself in The Pit, and you say "Fuck, it's this level."

And then you repeat those words like some sort of mantra at the start of every level until the game ends.

>> No.1009346

Agreed OP, and Final Doom is even better. It blows my mind that anyone can think the first Doom is the best.

>> No.1009347

>>1009271
The harder enemies are only trivialized by the SSG to an extent - the attacks of the new enemies in Doom 2 are much more varied and dangerous compared to the single slow ass projectile that every enemy in Doom 1 throws at you. In fact, I think only the Hell Knight has similar projectiles to the Doom 1 monsters. The super shotgun makes fighting against Doom 2 enemies much more interesting as you're trading equally powerful fire with what you're facing, and when you fuck up it's your own fault (which is the best kind of design).

Of course, the level of skill between the people making and testing Doom 2 20 years ago and us today is hugely different, so enemies feel tamer because we've had time to figure everything out. Back when the game was new, however, when everybody played with keyboards and with Always Run turned off, things weren't like that at all. Could you imagine fighting revenants or mancubus with a single barreled shotgun when you were shit and new at the game? It would be fucking awful because you'd make one mistake and welp, you're almost dead and you still need to shoot them about 5 more times to kill them. Fuck that.

>> No.1009359

>>1009285
>And then you repeat those words like some sort of mantra at the start of every level until the game ends.
But The Pit is really good, one of my favorite levels. Same for O of Destruction, The Inmost Dens, Industrial Zone... Those are some of my favorite levels in the game.

>> No.1009376

Whenever I replay Doom II, I just lose all urge to continue playing past MAP11. Like someone said earlier, the city maps were so bad.

>> No.1009452

doom 1 set the tone.
doom 2 captured the heart.

>> No.1009464

Doom 1 has better map design. Nothing nearly as bad as The Pit, Nirvana or the Spirit World.

The only addition I really like to Doom 2 is the super shotgun

>> No.1009492

>>1009464

You don't like the expanded bestiary?

>> No.1009521

>>1009154

Doom II had better monsters and the Super Shotugn, worse everything else pretty much. The maps are bigger but no fun at all, you always end up having to go back over areas you've already cleared out.

>> No.1009551

>>1009190
Whaaaa? Like what bro? I thought Citadel was win.

>> No.1009567

>>1009464
The Pit was fucking awesome. Easily one of my favourite Doom levels. Nirvana and Spirit World were okay.

>> No.1009570

>>1009464
Jesus dude how can you not like The Pit? It's AMAZING.

>> No.1009574

I prefer the simplicity of the first game, as well as the music and the greater emphasis on atmosphere over straight-up action.

>> No.1009582

>>1009204
I've never had a problem. You must be a terrible player of video games.

>> No.1009589

I mainly prefer Doom's first episode over any other classic episode just because it at least tries to make sense. Doom 2 is just mazes with different themes that rely too much on imagination.

>> No.1009604

>>1009204
This is the same guy in every doom thread that mentions "hitscan enemies"

>> No.1009665

>>1009250
>The entire game devolves into all SSG, all the time.
Not at all. And Doom II is without doubt more challenging than the first.

I honestly can't believe there are people autistic enough to dislike the SSG. Gonna give this a 'Wow, just wow.'

>> No.1009689

>>1009551
*Excuse me, I meant Downtown.

Can't remember Citadel from the name alone.

But yeah, I love Downtown.

>> No.1009706

Full of stupid shit like dark rooms and city maps.

>> No.1009846
File: 213 KB, 1366x768, Screenshot_Doom_20130821_154045.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1009665
I never said it wasn't more challenging. There's just very rarely a reason to use anything but the SSG, unless you've got a Spider Mastermind or Cyberdemon in the way, and even then the SSG is more than capable of handling them.

Look, let me put it this way: I just played through the first cluster of Doom 2, including Dead Simple. There were only a couple situations where I didn't use the SSG. One was on Map01 and 02 before I got it. The second time was in Map05, where I switched to the chaingun briefly to mow down that horde of zombiemen before the red key. Other than that, SSG was all I used. Worse, it was a nerfed SSG - I modded it to fire the standard shotgun blast twice, robbing it of its advantages in ammo efficiency and stunning. I didn't run out of shells once. I didn't even come close to running out of shells once. This nerfed SSG needed 8 shells to kill Mancubi and Arachnotrons, and 6 to kill Cacodemons - compare to vanilla's only using 6 and 4 respectively. Even though I was using so many more shells and I was only using the SSG, I still had no ammo problems. Tell me that's not overpowered. Go on.

>> No.1009884

You know, we could use this kind of discussion in /doom/ for once in a while, it's not like you're restrained from asking this question or something

>> No.1009896
File: 1.05 MB, 320x240, 1371426420016.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1009884
I agree.

>> No.1010043

Doom II has two fucking city maps you giant babies. Other than those, it generally has far BETTER maps than Doom because they realized that designing levels representing realistic locations was hindering design and they rightfully got more creative with them.

>> No.1010058
File: 32 KB, 225x320, The Gate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1009154
I feel Doom II had a blander atmosphere. It improved on the first variety/balance wise, but the levels felt more bare bones. For example, in Doom I, the second episode had a level that was in the process of transforming into the hell dimension. Reminded me a lot of The Gate.

>> No.1010072

I liked the Suburbs level.

>> No.1010168

I just played through the first two episodes of Doom (for pretty much the first time in my life) on HMP and I have to say it's more boring than II, mostly because of the lack of enemy variation. There is only so much you can do with zombies, imps, demons and cacodemons in maps that are mostly tight corridors and mazes.
I ended up using the regular shotgun for 90% of the time because the enemies were so weak in general, you didn't get much ammo for chaingun, most of the spaces were too tight for rockets and using plasmagun on anything else than hell barons and Cyberdemon felt like a complete waste.

>> No.1010727

>>1009551
>mfw citadel only has two instances of doom 2 enemies

>> No.1010731

original had more memorable levels. Knee Deep in its entirety is pretty memorable, where as doom 2 only has map01, map07, and map30

>> No.1010747

>>1009846
The main issue with doom 2's SSG is that they spoonfeed you shotgun ammo literally everywhere. Doesn't help that theres at least one ssg in most levels. If they balanced shotgun ammo spawns, and reduced the ssg spawns to something more similar to plasma rifle spawns, this probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.

>> No.1010760

>>1010058
I almost consider Final Doom as the true Doom 2, since its levels were overall more interesting.

>> No.1010781

>>1010727
Holy shit. You're right. Theres two arachnotrons and thats it. everything else is doom 1 enemies. Pretty odd considering its supposed to be in the later half of the game

>> No.1010807

>>1010043
I don't recall Doom 1's levels were realistic either.

>> No.1010902

thats like saying aliens is better than alien

sure, now it might seem that way

but alien created an entirely new concept and nailed it
aliens just changed the plot around a bit, made some (good) alterations without innovating that much

in other words alien is 10x as important and influential as aliens

doom1 is 1000x as important and influential as doom2

>> No.1011360

>>1009190
Talking about the maps with the giant outdoor square area, with a bunch of random square 'buildings' peppered about yeah?

Wasn't quite a fan of them either. Regardless, I preferred Doom 2 since Doom 1 lost its appeal past episode 1 for me.

>> No.1011367

I like the levels and super shotgun, but sometimes I just don't feel like delaing with the pain in the ass that is most Doom 2 monsters. Don't get me wrong, they're a good addition to the difficulty, but some days I just don't want to fight a bajillion revenants so I play some Doom 1 WADs.

>> No.1011437

Doom 1 has the best maps ever made.

>> No.1011643

>>1010902
by the same standard wolfenstein would be better than either

>> No.1011659

>>1009285
>The first six to eight levels of Doom II are great.
Really? I felt Doom 2 had a slow start and didnt really pick up until map07/08.

>> No.1011663

>>1009464
>Nirvana
Agreed. What a piece of shit level that was.

>The Pit
>Spirit World

Fuck you, those levels were awesome

>> No.1011671

>>1009240
It's nice to know I'm not the only person who just absolutely hates The Chasm. What the fuck is it about?

I actually like The Pit, though.

>> No.1011674

>>1009464
>The Pit
I'm okay with it, but I don't like it more than most Doom 1 maps.

>Nirvana
Yeah, fuck that.

>Spirit World
Wait, what? There are people who hate Spirit World? This is a thing? Fucking shit?!

>> No.1011675

>>1011671
The Chasm mainly sucks for me because of how empty a good chunk of the map is. It's huge, yet, its size isnt really taken advantage of, resulting in boring gameplay.

>> No.1011683

>>1011675
To add to this, I also didnt like the focus on catwalks. If it was just one small section, I'd have forgiven it, but when it takes up nearly the whole map, then its just repetitive and tedious.

>> No.1011686

>>1011663

I kinda agree. The Spirit World is an awesome map and more or less represents what hell would look like.

I don't mind The Pit in all honesty though, it's really easy so I don't see why anyone would have trouble with it.

>> No.1011692

>>1009846
you must be using cheats if you're going through the entire game wasting ammo with a SSG and nothing else.

>> No.1011704

>>1010168
Episodes one and two are just 50% of the game. I personally believe the start of episodes three and four are some of the best experiences in Doom.

>> No.1011709

>>1011692
He makes a good point, actually. SSG is pretty easy to use for the majority of the game due to how much the game spams ammo for shotguns and makes the SSG readily available in the majority of the levels.

>> No.1011734

>>1011674
My only problem with Spirit World was not knowing how to fall down into the area with the Arachnotrons and Spider Masterminds.
There was no indication that you could fall in that crack, and the wall near it has a similar crack that you can't fall into.

Not to mention that you can't open the door to the exit without knowing to shoot a wall.
Also that invisible wall thing with the pinkies coming out of it.

It's a really short level if you know what to do, but it's got some real unclear level design.

>> No.1011737

>>1009846
>There's just very rarely a reason to use anything but the SSG
but that's not true at all. I cycle through all weapons of Doom II (excluding pistol) regularly throughout the game. It sounds like you're doing something very very wrong.

>> No.1011739

>>1010058
>For example, in Doom I, the second episode had a level that was in the process of transforming into the hell dimension. Reminded me a lot of The Gate.

what level was that?

>> No.1011772
File: 77 KB, 928x696, 1359976440804.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1011709
>mfw I hardly use SSG
Sure I use it occasionally when the right occasion calls but my weapon of choice is Chaingun.

I can't imagine going through all of Doom 2 with just the SSG. It would slow the fucking pace down way too much.

>> No.1011779

Doom 2's were forgettable and frustrating to me.

>> No.1011782

>>1011737
>>1011772
Just because you choose to switch weapons doesnt mean you can't easily use mainly the ssg for most of the game.

>> No.1011796

>>1011782
Well so what? You could use plasma rifle or chaingun for most of the game as well, big fucking deal. You're being a total pisshead. SSG is an awesome weapon and it's unbelievable to me that it hurts the pussies of some people. Like another anon mentioned it is balanced by its reload time. You can't just used SSG when you're being swarmed by a ton of enemies with its reload speed.

>> No.1011804

>>1011772
>Slow the pace
It has more firepower than a rocket launcher and can tear through groups of weak enemies if they're lined up at all.

>> No.1011806

>>1011804
Your point is absolutely moot since rocket launcher's reload time is non-existent compared to SSG

>> No.1011809

>>1011804
>can tear through groups of weak enemies if they're lined up at all.
No shit. But if you're using SSG to kill every individual enemy you come across in the game it's gonna slow the pace down.

I truly hardly use SSG. This whole argument is pretty amusing tbh.

>> No.1011813

>>1011796
>You're being a total pisshead
No, I just like it when ammo conservation is a big part of games, and doom hardly ever requires you to conserve your shells and bullets, which results in the SSG feeling too OP.

>You could use plasma rifle for most of the game aswell
What are you talking about? Cells are the least common in the game, and you can easily chew right through its ammo. Only time you really can use it most of the time is if you play a slaughtermap where cells are littered everywhere.

>SSG is an awesome weapon and it's unbelievable to me that it hurts the pussies of some people.
I love the SSG. I just don't like that I can easily use it whenever. I want it to feel rewarding.

>Like another anon mentioned it is balanced by its reload time. You can't just used SSG when you're being swarmed by a ton of enemies with its reload speed.
Thats completely moot when you have autorun on and circlestrafe everything.

>> No.1011815

>>1011813
>Doom
>Ammo conservation
Kek. You never run out of bullets in either Doom or Doom II. You sound like a terrible player. I bet you've never even beaten them on Nightmare. If you want a game that actually requires ammo conservation I suggest you try Blood.

>> No.1011819

>>1011815
>You never run out of bullets in either Doom or Doom II.
No shit.

>You sound like a terrible player.
But the reason why I want less ammo everywhere is because I find it too fucking easy as it currently is

>I bet you've never even beaten them on Nightmare.
You probably haven't, either.

>If you want a game that actually requires ammo conservation I suggest you try Blood.
I already love blood.

>> No.1011834

>>1011813
>Thats completely moot when you have autorun on and circlestrafe everything.
Not when you have a crazy hord of enemies coming at you which Doom II throws at you often enough. The reload time means there are many better weapons you can use. There are many many times that the SSG is not the optimum weapon to use, especially when enemies are far away. Like I said, I HARDLY use it. I even use normal shotgun over SSG more often, particularly when enemies are at a distance and normal shotgun gives you the more concentrated and precise fire with faster reload that you need (this is only if chaingun/plasma have run out). My main use of SSG is up close with pinkies or Baron/Hell Knights. That's it. There are many other weapons to use in other scenarios which are far more efficient.

>>1011819
>>You never run out of bullets in either Doom or Doom II.
>No shit.
So why did you bring it up?

>But the reason why I want less ammo everywhere is because I find it too fucking easy as it currently is
Doom II is significantly more challenging than the original (but both are still easy on UV), so maybe you should complain about the first one rather than the second.

>>I bet you've never even beaten them on Nightmare
>You probably haven't, either.
I've beaten the first three episodes of the original Doom on Nightmare. It wasn't even hard. Suck on that for a while. Haven't tried Doom II yet because I know it will be a beast.

I wish I could record a stream of Doom II. Going through the whole game with SSG is just plain fucking retarded. There's no other way to describe it. You're playing the game like a moron. I would love to see your shitty gameplay style and LAUGH. Laugh I shall. Record a stream and show me how bad you are pls.

>> No.1011846

>>1011834
Jesus christ, you have the reading comprehension of a fucking 2 year old.

>> No.1011848
File: 64 KB, 640x400, bloodim.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1011815
>>1011819
blood is pretty fun in normal play but sometimes it's good to do a run with the full ammo and invincibility cheats, specially on the first episode, so much retarded shit and creative ways to kill monsters when you don't have to care about your safety...

>> No.1011849

>>1011846
And you play Doom like a retard.

>> No.1011861

>game X is better than Y because it's the same thing with more content
This kind of thinking is pretty stupid in video games. Having more levels, weapons and monsters isn't inherently better at all. Level design and the way the new stuff is implemented makes a sequel/expansion/whatever work. Doom 2 has much poorer levels in my opinion, and a lot of people agree.

>> No.1011887

>>1011848
I wish Blood could have gotten megaton/redux treatment. Shame its source code isn't released, and what not.

>> No.1011890

>>1011734

That crack in the wall actually made me love the level, I just thought it was really cool cause I thought I was breaking the map but I wasn't.

>> No.1011912

>>1011692
>my favorite weapon can't be overpowered!
>you must be cheating!
Do you want me to like, record it, or something? Try it yourself. You can do it on HMP or UV. Just run through Map01-Map07 and use nothing but the SSG once you get it. You should even be able to get 100% kills on every map.

>> No.1011919

>>1011815
Except that you'll use up 15 bullets on every single pinky you find. 40 for a cacodemon, 50 for hell knights, etc. There simply are not enough bullets to fuel the chaingun for anything more than sporadic use.

And that's terrible.

>> No.1011924

>>1011834
So I heard you just called the entire IDL retarded, as well as 70% of the people who play on SNS.

The SSG deals slightly under 200dps (probably almost exactly 200 with the classing RNG), which is extremely good for a gun you get on the second map of the game. Given how Doom 2 is absolutely fuckcrazy about how many shells you get (which transfers to its user-created maps), the SSG is always a strong choice. Take down a baron of hell in five seconds with a weapon I get on the second map? Yes please.

Rockets simply are not common enough to go using around 100% of the time, nor are cells. Shells are, and thanks to the SSG, they pack a whopping 800 damage per small ammo pickup - the highest in the game (100 for clip, 218 for rocket, 450 for cell).

You'd be an idiot to deny the SSG's power and versality.

>> No.1011926

>>1011924
classic RNG*

whoops

>> No.1011927

>>1011924
also whoops, it's 400 damage per shell pickup (I can't into math)

Still, for how absurdly common shells are, they easily trump every other ammo type for versality.

>> No.1011960

doomfag from the doom generals here....

do we smell bad, or something? Why aren't you discussing this in our threads? Yes, our current thread is in autosage mode, but when this one was created we were still in the 500 post limit. we need more people to talk to, sometimes our threads drop dead badly at certain hours and a little bit of discussion won't hurt at all

this is our current thread (in autosage mode) >>999710

>> No.1011967

>>1011960
it's not the same, posts about a certain topic with a non-crazy number of posts are easier to stay on context without having to waste more time reading filler than discussing what you are interested in, the other thread is too big and too general

>> No.1011984

>>1011924
Thank you!

>> No.1012001

>>1011834
>I've beaten the first three episodes of the original Doom on Nightmare. It wasn't even hard. Suck on that for a while.
Pussy. I've beaten the first three episodes with the Hideous Destructor mod. Secret levels included.

>> No.1012563

the entire reason why the chaingun is in the game is to kill pain elementals and lost souls

it kills these enemies for free, and they never get a chance to charge at you

if you are using this weapon for other enemies you are intentionally slowing down your kill rate

SSG for most enemies
regular shotgun for sniping
plasma for when you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherfucking hitscan enemy as quickly as possible

rockets are frankly dangerous to use compared to easier FPS games like (all of them), but they're still worth it in hard sections.

I never used rockets against revenants, because dodging their bullshit attacks takes up all of my attention, I don't to also worry about accidently shooting myself with the rocket launcher.

>> No.1012628 [DELETED] 

>>1011960
Why would I want to discuss Doom with Brutal-Doom-using shitstains such as yourselves? Please keep your cancer contained thank you.

>> No.1012642

>>1012628

I see you've never entered in their threads, almost everyone hate BD for many reasons, but they don't play it at all

Nice try

>> No.1012820

>>1012642
what's BD?

>> No.1013009

>trying to do a UV no reloads run of Doom
>tfw I died at E2M4 and keep dying because I'm out of ammo all the time

Am I supposed to be avoiding stronger enemies like this? I'm not finding it a whole lot of fun.

>> No.1013018

>>1013009
what means no reloads?

>> No.1013025

>>1013018
Meaning I do a pistol start if I die.

>> No.1013028

>>1013018

The entire set of levels of Doom can be (and SHOULD BE) beatable with a pistol start

>> No.1013042

>>1013028
"EVERY MAP SHOULD BE PLAYED WITH PISTOL START IT'S THE TRUE WAY"
God you people are elitist and stupid, no that's not the right way to play doom, otherwise it wouldn't have required the usage of console. Your reward for beating a level is keeping the ammo, your punishment for failure is having to pistol start it. Which still doesn't make people who use saves casual or anything, but this is the "hardcore" way to beat it, in a sense.

>> No.1013057

>>1013028
>>1013042

I think it's my fault for not wording my post correctly, allow me to do that

>All of the Doom levels should be ABLE to be beaten from a pistol start

There, I never said it was the way it was MEANT to be played, so calm your tits.

sage for near double-post

>> No.1013061

>>1013025
>>1013028
>>1013042
why not nightmare then? would it be too slow and boring with the respawning monsters or is UV considered harder?

>> No.1013063

>>1013028
>you need to play in doom.exe on UV-fast with pistol start on every map keyboard-only or you're not a real doom player
You guys just keep finding new ways to move the goalposts, don't you?

>> No.1013139

>>1009347
Pretty much this.
Doom 1 was a nightmare on UV when it first came out.

>> No.1015410

>>1013009
Jesus Christ people are actually this shit at Doom? Kill yourself.

>> No.1015414

>>1011887
I wish Blood's source code was released so we could get modern ports like GZDoom and the HRP for Duke Nukem 3D.

It's a fucking travesty.

>> No.1015468

>>1009464

>The Pit

I would rather nail my dick to a table then ever play that map again.

>> No.1015485

too much brown
also the new enemies and textures look cartoony and don't fit in sometimes

>> No.1015531

Has anyone redone doom1 maps with doom2 monster placement and weapons?

If so, I want this .wad

>> No.1016969

>>1015468
And why is that? What the fuck is wrong with you? It's a solid fucking map.

>> No.1016974

By map 20 of Doom I was pretty much just playing it for completion and didn't enjoy it at all. The maps just feel uninspired and boring, and aren't cohesive like in the first game. One of my favorite things about Doom is the transformation from a sci-fi industrial space base to hell that took place in the three episodes, here it just feels like a mediocre pack of custom maps.

>> No.1017090

The original had better levels and music, though Doom II is better for modding thanks to its extra textures. Not to mention, the SSG is a godly weapon in deathmatch.