[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 429 KB, 1280x1280, iso-console__35522.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10088236 No.10088236 [Reply] [Original]

So, 8BitMods just announced a new Memcard Pro that works on both PS1 and PS2.

I have to be honest, I can't help but feel this is almost like a direct response to all the free open source DIY fan projects that were being made that let you build a cheap device which supported both the PS1 and PS2 while costing less.

But at least this thing seems to not carry the risk of frying your PS1 if you forget it in PS2 mode. (I admit, I also like that it has cloud backup support and can connect to a PC by USB).

Glad I didn't buy a MemCard PRO yet

>> No.10088492

>>10088236
>cloud backup support
utter_disgust.jpg

>> No.10088496

Kill yourself retarded shill

>> No.10088539
File: 141 KB, 1446x1080, ThatsYou.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10088496
>Points out how he thinks the product is just a response to cheaper open source alternatives

>Mentions how he is glad he didn't buy the previous version

>"REEEEEE! You mentioned a product! You must be a shill! Shill shill shill!"

>> No.10088560

>>10088539
>The memcard pro costs 8-10x the price (excluding SD card) of a 128mb PS2 memory card on eBay that you'll never ever fill anyway
What's the point?

>> No.10088592

>>10088560
>What's the point?

Well..

1: It works as both a PS1 and PS2 memorycard.

2: Offers additional features like being able to backup your saves by FTPing into it, using it as a USB drive, auto--cloud backup, or even just plugging the MicroSD slot into your computer with some sort of SD reader.

3: If you use an ODE (PS1) or A HDD Loader (PS2) it can auto-detect the game you are playing and automatically switch to a dedicated card for said game rather than having you have to manually switch to which virtual card the save for that game is on.

4: You are flat out lying about the price since I just checked and those 128MB cards on eBay and Amazon are around $8-9 and this is $43, that's nowhere near 8 to 10 times the cost.

5. Considering even back in the 90s local "multi" memorycards from the PS1 era were all utter garbage that would fail and take all your saves with it, do you really trust a suspiciously cheap chink card from eBay?

>> No.10088662

>>10088560
Please don't buy those terrible chinese memory cards. Anyone who plays ps2 will tell you to stick with the real 8mb cards or the paged licensed ones. If this is anything like the ps1 mcpro it's going to be very useful.

>> No.10088682

>>10088236
>But at least this thing seems to not carry the risk of frying your PS1 if you forget it in PS2 mode.
never heard of this before

>> No.10088691

>>10088592
>3: If you use an ODE (PS1) or A HDD Loader (PS2) it can auto-detect the game you are playing and automatically switch to a dedicated card for said game rather than having you have to manually switch to which virtual card the save for that game is on.

Huh? Does HDD Loader not do that? I know OPL handles VMC files with no issue.

>> No.10088692

>>10088236
I understand the point of the Memcard Pro for the PS1, but I don’t really understand it for ps2. Most people who would bother with ps2 at this point are using OPL, which can create virtual memory cards on a per game basis already.

>> No.10088701

>>10088682
There was an open source one posted here a few months back, it's pretty cheap to make and worked for both PS1 and PS2, but there was a warning (a little buried) that if you leave it in PS2 mode and plug it into a PS1 there is a chance it can short it out. Apparently the PS2 cards draw more power than PS1 cards, and official PS2 cards were designed so you could physically not plug them into a PS1, but since this card has to work in both a PS1 and PS2 it can't be designed to prevent you from using it in a PS1 while also having to act as a PS2 card.

Honestly, I really hope this is somehow addressed in the 8 bit mods one now that I think about it.

>> No.10088706

>>10088691
>Huh? Does HDD Loader not do that? I know OPL handles VMC files with no issue.

That's for virtual cards, I meant the virtual cards this card would create on itself. Like how the PS1 memcard pro can do it with the xStation.

>>10088692
>I understand the point of the Memcard Pro for the PS1, but I don’t really understand it for ps2. Most people who would bother with ps2 at this point are using OPL, which can create virtual memory cards on a per game basis already.

From my understanding not every game is compatible with the virtual memorycards. Also IMO it's a lot easier to manage and backup your data when it's not behind the PS2's proprietary HDD (to say nothing of the FTP/Cloud backup features).

I know not everyone cares about that but I have always tried to backup my save data, even had that ISA card for Saturn so I can pull my saves off of it.

>> No.10088972

>>10088592
Hey, my 90s multi memory card never failed me once. You shut your whore mouth.

>> No.10089003
File: 31 KB, 500x500, shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10088972
That shit failed me in just a few months! Lost my Final Fantasy and Tomba saves because of that garbage along with several others. Nearly everyone who had one of these pieces of shit has stories of it dying on them, they were notorious for it.

>> No.10089109

>>10088972
really?
those shits always failed me
I bought two and they both corrupted all my saves

>> No.10089530

>>10088236
Hey shill-kun, is it going to be able to do freemcboot?
In your previous marketing threads you really undersold the usefulness of the MemcardPro being able to easily load FreePSXBoot images to run Unirom.
Oh and if you could make it so that the buttons can actually perform all the functions of the device like changing cards without having to use a janky controller combo, unlike your first memcard pro, that would be great.

Also when are you going to do one for N64? The forever pak is a piece of shit

>> No.10089537

>>10089530
What's wrong with the forever pak? I assumed it was impossible to fuck up since it is such a sinple device.

>> No.10089540

>>10089530
no reason why it can't
I don't imagine they want top advertise that though
>like changing cards without having to use a janky controller combo
? it literally is just a button press on the card
>>10089537
Forever pak is a shit waste of money that has the exact same function of the normal ones without having a battery, useless and expensive

>> No.10089604

>>10089530
>is it going to be able to do freemcboot?

Says it can on the store page. Going to ignore the rest of your trolling stupidity.

>The forever pak is a piece of shit

At least I agree with you on this

>>10089537
It's absurdly overpriced for what it is. That thing costs about as much as a Memcard Pro and more than what N64 memorycards used to go for just to have... a N64 memory card. It's nothing more than a standard single N64 memorycard but with non-volatile memory (original n64 memcards used a battery... a pretty stupid design choice when even the PS1's memcards at the time didn't need one).

It's just 256Kilobytes of non-volatile storage for $35. Even back in the 90s there was multi-memorycards that acted as four cards in one.

It's stupid that they even made such a useless thing, a memorycard for a 30 year old console that you don't need to replace the $2 battery of once every 20 years, wwwwwooooowwwww! That's totally worth $35. The fact that it's not like any of the other modern memorycard replacements that at minimum give you at least an infinite amount of cards off a MicroSD slot if not also have additional features is already stupid, but addon the fact that they are charging as much as said infinite MicroSD cards is beyond retarded.

I am surprised nobody has made a "MemoryPak Pro" version by now, it would likely cost as much as the shit they are peddling but be infinitely more useful. Should shove a rumble pak in there too IMO.

>> No.10089615

>>10089604
>I am surprised nobody has made a "MemoryPak Pro" version by now
I'm going to assume it's a power related issue being in the controller
having too much power draw could fry the controller port circuit
It happened often with the Dreamcasts VMU

>> No.10089650
File: 172 KB, 695x1200, dlchprc5qp3r1ysmvhrt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10089615
>I'm going to assume it's a power related issue being in the controller
>having too much power draw could fry the controller port circuit

Modern electronics are a lot less power hungry than back then. The PS1 and GameCube Memcard Pros are able to have WiFi functionality to run a FTP server and cloud backups (for the ps2 one, although I don't see why a firmware update can't add this to the PS1 and GC ones as well) and power an OLED screen while the CPU is performing all of these memorycard, ftp, screen, auto-switching cards if you use a loader/ode, and other functions just off the power the memcard port used.

I find it hard to believe the PS1, PS2, and especially the GC memcard ports can provide enough power for all that but the N64 could not, yet was able to power a device that could read 5volt gameboy games (the N64 itself operated at 3.3 volts) and a device with a tilt sensor.

>It happened often with the Dreamcasts VMU

I have literally never heard of the VMU shorting out anything, also, there is a VMU version of these things in the works. (Although it has a rather stupidly high price) and unlike the N64's rumble pak the Dreamcast';s rumble device didn't need AA batteries and was powered off the controller's port while ALSO being able to power a VMU at the same time in the same controller.

>> No.10089665

>>10089650
>I have literally never heard of the VMU shorting out anything
Really, you've never heard of people plugging in their controllers and then the controller board dying
>I find it hard to believe the PS1, PS2, and especially the GC memcard ports can provide enough power for all that but the N64 could not
well apperently 24mA is what the memory pak draws so it would be ok at that amount

>> No.10089668

>>10089604
I agree with the forever pak stuff. I’m wondering though, similar to the FRAM mod for the Saturn if there’s a way to just buy a cheap non-volatile 256bk chip and swap them out to make your own? $35 is dumb and not worth it, but it’d be a fun project if it were <$10

>> No.10089673

>>10088236
Right, the last thread I was in I remember that it seemed too expensive for what it is and was basically useless feature creep like a fucking wifi chip and such
The SD card is practically all you need

>> No.10089681

>>10089673
Don't buy it then
use the open source one instead, or better yet just use the original ones

>> No.10089684

>>10088592
>6 times the cost is nowhere near 8 times the cost
That shit is still expensive as hell for no reason.

>> No.10089706

>>10089684
>That shit is still expensive as hell for no reason.
you can really tell when people have never made something tangible before

>> No.10089728
File: 125 KB, 641x449, DeadSonic3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10089665
>Really, you've never heard of people plugging in their controllers and then the controller board dying

In all the years I have been on gaming message boards and gaming IRC chatrooms since the late 90s before the Dreamcast even released, no, I have not.

I always had a VMU in port 1 and a rumble pack in port 2 of my Dreamcast controller for years and never had an issue.

>well apperently 24mA is what the memory pak draws so it would be ok at that amount

But how much does the Transfer Pak and Rumble Pak draw? Also at what voltages? Do we know what is the accessory port itself rated for? Again, I just find it hard to believe it can be enough to power a 5 volt gameboy cart but not enough for a low-power modern MCU. Apparently a gameboy cart consumed roughly around 250ma, but could spike up to 300ma a times. It's not directly playing the carts, but I would imagine it still needs to provide enough power if not more than a Gameboy would have to not accidently wipe out the SRAM data. And that is at 5 volts, so that's more power than it's other 3.3 volt accessories at the same amperage.

>>10089668
>I’m wondering though, similar to the FRAM mod for the Saturn if there’s a way to just buy a cheap non-volatile 256bk chip and swap them out to make your own?

Probably, I am no expert in electronics. The main drawbacks of FRAM over SRAM is that it's slower and eventually can wear out, although that's true of any solid state storage. How much slower though depends on which chip you use, and if using one that is slower than the SRAM chip in an official pak will cause issues with some games. I have a Sonic 3 cart where the FRAM chip on it is shot, it's basically frozen in the state it's saves were when it died. You can try to erase existing saves, or start a new one on a blank save, and it will look like it's working, but when you reset or turn off the console it will be right back to the state it was in before you did anything. Picrel is from that cart.

>> No.10089750
File: 255 KB, 1384x675, doc-esp32-pinout-reference-wroom-devkit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10089673
>Right, the last thread I was in I remember that it seemed too expensive for what it is and was basically useless feature creep like a fucking wifi chip and such

And as explained in the last thread, the WiFi is essentially "free" because the entire device runs off of an ESP32, which is a Bluetooth and WiFi System-on-a-chip dev device. They didn't add any additional components to include WiFi, it's literally built into the CPU. And those things are cheap, I got a 3-pack of them for $10 from Amazon, you can get them for as little as $15 for a 10-pack. You aren't going to find a cheaper viable SoC, so why not use it's built-in WiFi functions? They already cut off $10 from the price of the PS1 card by removing the FPGA.

And the screen was also roughly a $1-2 part, this isn't exactly a 50 inch 4K HDR display.

There isn't really any part that could be cut for any reasonable reduction in cost, you would lose the screen for shaving $1-2 dollars at most off the cost.

>>10089684
>6 times the cost is nowhere near 8 times the cost

Correct, it's not. You are also arguing with the cost of unreliable chinkware.

>That shit is still expensive as hell for no reason.

Not even close to expensive, but I suppose if your standard is unreliably chinkware from eBay I can see why a poorfag like you thinks a card that is close the cost of what an actual PS2 memcard cost back then is "expensive as hell".

>> No.10089776

>>10089750
Yes... but...
I still don't need all this shit and in the end, it's still too expensive and a ridiculous feature creep memory card with shit nobody asked for or ever needed

>> No.10089786

>>10089776
>Yes... but...
>I still don't need all this shit and in the end

Then don't buy it?

>it's still too expensive

Highly disagree, it's about what the official cards cost WITHOUT taking inflation into account back then, and one of the few modern retro accessories these days that doesn't cost around three figures.

>and a ridiculous feature creep

How many times does "It's using a CPU that is basically $2-3 and has WiFi built in" need to be explained to you? It's not feature creep if the hardware is already there and you are just enabling it. Learn what feature creep even is.

>with shit nobody asked for or ever needed

Was constantly sold out at launch so clearly a lot of people asked for this, I definitely want those features, and so do many others.

Go buy your $8 chinkware card and have fun getting your saves eventually corrupted, and don't forget that one only works for PS2 games so you will need to find another PS1 version and be paying close to half the price of this thing by then for your unreliable chinkware. Have fun, bye now.

>> No.10089831

>>10089786
But your whole argument falls apart because you're comparing apples to oranges. This uses micro-SD, original memcards didn't.
>one of the few modern retro accessories these days that doesn't cost around three figures
Now you're just lying, shill.

>> No.10089840

>>10089831
>But your whole argument falls apart because you're comparing apples to oranges. This uses micro-SD, original memcards didn't.

How exactly is that apples to oranges? Are you trying to argue the cost of a MicroSD card again like last time you got BTFO when you made the same argument?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8GVGN9/

Here, $6 32GB MicroSD card if SOMEHOW you don't have a MicroSD card anywhere in your house that you can use since even a 1GB one from 20 years ago will be enough for over a hundred PS2 memcards. Don't tell me you are THAT much of a poorfag that you both don't have a single MicroSD card from anywhere in the last 20 years in your house AND that $6 is too much.

>Now you're just lying, shill.

You would know about lying, your entire post was nothing but lies

Kys poorfag

>> No.10089994

>>10089540
>it literally is just a button press on the card
no
You can use the buttons on the memcard pro to switch between the 8 channels on whatever card you're on, but you can't change to a different card without doing a button combo on a controller in the adjacent port.
The SD2PSX on the other hand lets you change cards by doing a long press

>> No.10090003

>>10088592
Thanks chatgpt. Fuck off shill bitch. Why do you fuck faces keep coming here thinking were just going to eat up your product like this is reddit? You just ruined your product for half the people here, retards.

>> No.10090006

>>10089994
Fair enough
but I don't know any games where I'd need more than 8 cards for

>> No.10090008

>>10089604
>>is it going to be able to do freemcboot?
>Says it can on the store page.
No it doesn't you clown
It barely even mentions OPL, the lack of support for which would be a fucking disaster.

>> No.10090009

>>10090008
>which would be a fucking disaster
?
don't see how, just have FMCB in the other slot

>> No.10090016

>>10090009
If you're using opl why would you use memcard pro?

>> No.10090023

>>10090009
Reading comprehension.
Not supporting OPL would be a mistake, but they're aware of it and list OPL support on their page.
The question was if the Pro2 can do freemcboot, as in launch it so that another card isn't needed. You know, like the SD2PSX can.

>> No.10090025

>>10090016
why not?
some games have issues with the built in VMC
this will just make it more compatible
>>10090023
>Reading comprehension.
>Talks about OPL when I didn't even say OPL
you alright buddy

>> No.10090027

>>10090025
Can it launch memory card exploits or not nigger

>> No.10090032

>>10090027
It probably does, but again who cares when you can just use it in the other slot

>> No.10090037

>>10090003
Specifically to piss you off and make you seethe, and I will keep doing it, and there is nothing you can do about it.

>>10090008
>No it doesn't you clown

>"Launch FMCB directly from a virtual memory card!"

Right on the store page

>It barely even mentions OPL

>"The MemCard PRO2 continues to deliver this great experience, and with support planned for OPL"

>"Supports a special set of instructions for automatic loading, game info and remote control (GameID & GameDB via ODE for PS1 / OPL for PS2)"

>"OPL Block device support"

It's mentioned THREE TIMES you blind retard

>>10090016
Not every game works with OPL's virtual memorycards, also this is far easier to backup your saves and can work in any PS2 modded or not if you have more than one.

>> No.10090045

>>10090032
Someone who doesn't already have a freemcboot card or someone who wants to test other exploits without fucking around with physical cards would care for instance you twat
>>10090037
oh now I see it lol, I suck cocks
I wasn't looking for the abbreviation.
"Planned support" does count as barely mentioning though.

>> No.10090050

>>10090045
>"Planned support" does count as barely mentioning though.

To be fair it's not releasing until December, so hopefully that's plenty of time to get their shit together.

Also, Free MC and Free HD boot are somewhat dead, they haven't been updated in ages. Apparently something called XEB+ is being worked on that will replace it.

>> No.10090052

>>10090045
are you that retard who refused to buy a FMCB card for a couple dollars because you couldn't install that shit yourself
lmao

>> No.10090058

>>10090006
It doesn't really come up much for playing a single game, it's mostly an issue if you're not using an ODE and set the memory card manually, in which case there's a decent chance you'll have more than 8 to switch between.

>> No.10090062

>>10090058
Oh ok, sounds like an ODE is pretty necessary

>> No.10090075

>>10090062
Nah you can make it work. It's useful, just that part is an extra annoyance. Why they decided to have two physical buttons, and program them to only do one thing each despite there being four things needed to navigate, is a mystery to me.

>> No.10090080

>>10088236
I wonder why all this company never sell they shit in Russia and CIS region's. There is so many ps1/2 addictive fags.

>> No.10090103

>>10088701
This sounds like the FLASH CARTS WILL BURN YOUR CONSOLES shit.

>> No.10090127

>>10090080
Can you get shipping there from other UK companies?

>> No.10090157

>>10090103
Nah, they literally said it themselves, to not leave it in ps2 mode when using it for ps1

>> No.10090163

>>10089728
>But how much does the Transfer Pak and Rumble Pak draw?
Not sure exactly but the rumble pak uses two AAA batteries and I’m pretty sure the only purpose of the transfer pak is to transfer save data to and from your cartridges SRAM

>> No.10090180

Ps2 needs a ode since all the soft mod iso loading BLOWS

>> No.10090382

>>10088592
You can literally do all this at a fraction of the cost with freemcboot and an oem card.

>> No.10090386

>>10090382
Cool, you do that then

>> No.10090410

>>10090386
I think he's wondering why you wouldn't just do that instead

>> No.10090423

>>10090410
Because VMC is shit on OPL

>> No.10090428

What is the point of this thing

>> No.10090434

>>10090428
To make youtube videos to soiface in and shill your affiliate link.

>> No.10090454

>>10090428
Are you really going to keep saying this ad nauseam even though it’s been answered multiple times?

>> No.10090460

>>10088560
>unironically writing something this asinine and idiotic
The absolute fucking state of his board.

>> No.10090468

>>10089650
>139 zogbucks
Fuck that. I can buy a chink backlight for a dollar on aliexpress and mod a 5 dollar vmu.

>> No.10090497

>>10090468
then do that?
why the fuck do we care what you do
man, this thread just sounds like commies complaining that shit costs money

>> No.10090518

>>10088236
Is this another one of those fake rumors like that french retard that said flashcarts will damage your system so he could sell more of a product that literally nobody cares about?

>> No.10090554
File: 318 KB, 483x828, 98383D83-354B-43D6-8B8E-EB70A45D1AEB.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>then do that?
>why the fuck do we care what you do
>man, this thread just sounds like commies complaining that shit costs money

>> No.10090574

>>10090103
The SD2PSX literally says that on it's own display when you set it to PS2 mode:

https://youtu.be/gbfEJ5cLEJY?t=1196

>and I’m pretty sure the only purpose of the transfer pak is to transfer save data to and from your cartridges SRAM

It also seems to at least check the cartridge header if not checksum it, regardless though, I mentioned it would still need to match Gameboy voltage and current to safely read/write to the SRAM.

>>10090382
You can load a MicroSD in an oem card, have it backup your saves by cloud or FTP, auto-switch into being a PS1 or PS2 card, and auto-switch it's virtual card based on the game you are playing in both a PS1 and PS2, and have it work fine with every single game?

>>10090518
See the youtube link above, the only other device which can do this displays a warning on it when you switch it to PS2 mode

>> No.10091202

>>10088236
So now I can pay more money for one card I have to swap back and forth instead of two cards that just work? Sweet. Where do I sign up?

>> No.10091336

Can someone please explain to me the benefit of having a dedicated vmc PER GAME? Literally fucking why? What's the point? It just bloats up your card and wastes space. Making an entire vmc just to use a small fraction of it seems stupid.

>But Anon, you can have over 8gorillion vmcs per gb

Now if I want to copy these saves to use on my pc or chinkheld I have to mount and extract a single save file for each game instead of just having them all in one place like a real memory card. It seems like a feature without a purpose. Or am I missing something?

>> No.10091374

>>10091336
>Can someone please explain to me the benefit of having a dedicated vmc PER GAME? Literally fucking why? What's the point?

So you don't have to worry about not having enough space on the card to save your game or remembering which vmc contains saves for what game. Also makes backups easier since you know exactly what game you are backing up instead of backing up "Card 2" which can have twenty different random games on it. Just an FYI, modern PS1 and PS2 emulators function this way too.

>It just bloats up your card and wastes space.

A single 1GB MicroSD card is enough for 128 PS2 memorycards, or over EIGHT THOUSAND PS1 Memorycards. And they haven't made MicroSD cards that small in about 20 years, you can get a name brand 32GB MicroSD card for $6 these days, it actually costs more to try to go smaller unless you are stupid enough to buy a MicroSD card from eBay or Aliexpress. So wasting space is not a concern, for the cheapest name brand MicroSD card you can get these days there is more than enough space to store a save for every single PS1 and PS2 game ever released in every revision and from any region ever several times over. Even if you have a left over card from years ago, anything 2GB or larger will hold enough vmcs for every single PS1 and PS2 game you could ever possibly play and then some.

>Making an entire vmc just to use a small fraction of it seems stupid.

Already explained the benefits, but if you really hate that feature, guess what? You can turn it off and use a vmc across multiple games, manually switching between them.

>Now if I want to copy these saves to use on my pc or chinkheld I have to mount and extract a single save file for each game instead of just having them all in one place like a real memory card.

Err no, you use the vmc file itself. Why would you extract the individual saves? That vmc file can just be copied as a whole or used in emulators as-is.

>> No.10091474

Hmmm I just got the original memcard pro and the gamecube one after some bad experiences with chinese clone cards. Lost a bunch of save data.

The major advantage for me is the ability to backup saves to PC. Especially if I'm playing several different games at a time.

Being able to download complete saves for games like Tekken 3 is great too. I really can't be bothered to unlock all characters again and my old save is long gone.