[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 36 KB, 220x302, Street_Fighter_2010_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10006842 No.10006842 [Reply] [Original]

If we go by originality alone, this game would be one of the bests action sidescroller ever made.

Once you've played enough action games, you should realize that a lot of ideas get repeated between games, the way the character moves, the enemy and boss patterns, the level design, even the gimmicks. Good examples of that being for instance in SHMUPs "fly around the boss" pattern, or in beat em ups "jump kick is a safe move against most things but it's a long and boring way to play the game", or in games withs swords "enemies are weak to jump slashes to the head", etc as for stage gimmicks, conveyor belts, anti-gravity mechanics, springs or other devices to make the player jump, etc that's for the obvious but even things like enemy and bosses patterns tend to re-use a lot and plenty of games have methods to clear a boss that just feel like "been there, done that, a thousand times in a thousand games".

This is not the case in SF2010. From the protagonist movement, his means of attack, all the enemies patterns, and even the structures of the stages themselve, almost everything feels completely original and the game constantly has the player learn new rules, moves and patterns that feel like nothing else that has ever been done.

The only real drawback would be the length of animation which sometimes creates a delay between the moment the button is pressed and the moment the action occurs, although that too is unlike other games of the time since it's something more common in later generations.

>> No.10006913

This is the game I had as a kid but completely forgot what it was called. The stages are very memorable.

>> No.10007108

Am I the only one who prefers the American storyline over the Japanese one? I think the game is much more interesting when you view it as an aging Ken turned cyborg over some made-up new character.

>> No.10008326

>2010
not retro
heh funny

>> No.10008661

>>10008326
you don't have to remind me that 2010 was 13 years ago, I remember the AVGN episodelike it was yesterday

>> No.10009798

One of my favorite games. I first rented it with my brother in late 1990 because I loved most Capcom games and the graphics behind the box looked nice. I played it all weekend as you did in those days and didn't know what to think. It reminded me of Bionic Commando in a way with the "odd" mechanics (compared to most other NES games back then), but unlike Bionic Commando it didn't hook me right away. I brought the game back to the video store and that was the end of it. I didn't think of the game for years until the summer of 1996 when I was hit by my first wave of nostalgia my first wave of nostalgia. NES games were being sold for $5 a pop in the mid 90s, so I purchased a few favorites (e.g. Mario 2-3, CV II-III, Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man 2, Batman, the aforementioned Bionic Commando, etc.) but also that game I had not thought about for years but saw sitting there for a few bucks--Street Fighter 2010. Now older (late teens vs early teens when I first played it), the cartridge label looked intriguing even more than before. I remembered the odd gameplay and that it was extremely difficult for my 13-14 year-old self. Long story short, I brought the game home, fell in love with the controls and finally managed to beat it. Not as hard as I thought after all (I advise playing with the NES Advantage, it makes a huge difference). To this day, it is one of my favorite games ever and one I replay every few years or so. Everything about it is great: graphics, music, controls (takes getting used to but very rewarding when you get the hang of it), amazing presentation. I blame the Nintendo Nerd for the bad reputation it has had for the past 13 years, but the original gaming press (mostly EGM) for not recognizing its greatness from the get go (even though it was on a year-end edition cover of EGM IIRC).

>> No.10009867

This and megaman 6 are the best NES games.
dont even give a fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ll_xcBYck