Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 124 KB, 680x576, dwarfmodern.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
9368394 No.9368394 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

I'm planning on running a Shadowrun 4e campaign this summer and this will be my first time DMing and I'm not all that familiar with Shadowrun. What are /tg/s thoughts? Am I doomed?

>> No.9368405

Roll 1 million D6.

>> No.9368446

Shadowrun is fairly complex for a first time DM.

>> No.9368459

Shadowrun is Crazy, to say the least.

Regular rad cyberpunk is ridiculous enough, now you have dwarves, elves, trolls, magic, and all sorts of ridiculous things thrown into the mix.

I love Shadowrun to death, but it's a giant clusterfuck.

>> No.9368476

Tricky for new DM, but fun if you do it right.

What other games have you played?

>> No.9368486

>>9368394
Hey that looks like a squ

>> No.9368489

Does /tg/ support that many dice?

>> No.9368526

I've only played DnD 3.5 and 4. I played Shadowrun a few times, but I didn't really gel with the group. I've been reading through the core book and I really like the character building. I think it'll be okay, but there are a lot of rules.

>> No.9368546

I think my first question is why are you running a game you aren't familiar with?

It's best to stick with games/systems you know when first entering into DMing, to ease both the players and DM into the game.

Not that it can't be done on a fresh system, but it smooths over some of the bumps.

>> No.9368569

>>9368526

Do not play shadowrun like D&D though. D&D is all about look and character progression (power wise). Your starting loot can last until the end and you won't get much better power wise. Focus more on RPing and different aspects of the shadowrun world

>> No.9368575

Read the fluff through a few times.

You have until summer. Don't fret too much.

Come up with some basic ideas, and then work with it.

Steal a gem from some broad's house as a preliminary shadowrun, or something. In most SR games, stories work their way up from nothing.

>> No.9368602

>>9368546
Well, it's mostly to get my friends to branch out from the tired old DnD system. I like DnD, but I need something new, and not d20 Modern. I'm the most familiar with it, so I'd be DMing (or GMing), but it'd be nice if I knew someone else who was more familiar with it.

>> No.9368645

>>9368602
I can't blame you for that, and Shadowrun will bring to the table something everyone in the party could want to play.

Have you considered hitting up the LGS or some such thing for a GM? That *might* work, or you guys could just jump into it yourselfs.

Read the book a few times, get a feel for fluff/mechanics.

Be warned though, even 4E (while an imrpovement mechanically from 3E) isn't really a basket of roses to learn, it's a lot of rules and still a fairly large amount of dice.

>> No.9368648

>>9368602
Advice, read the rules. Learn them well. Test out the mechanics with a friend or something. Run practice combats or challanges with some people so you and them get used to the system.

>> No.9368652

>>9368575
Ha, yeah, that is how things usually go, I suppose - building something small into a shitstorm, then PLOT TWIST, etc.

>> No.9368671

Friends don't let friends play gnomes.

>> No.9368724

>>9368645 I've thought about grabbing a DM from the FLGS, but I've never actually been there. I tend to stay away from those places for fear of "I cast magic missile at the darkness."
>>9368648 Good advice there. I'll be sure to do that.

>> No.9368733

>>9368394
Decide how you want to flavor your game.

Shadowrun can be a light hearted run and gun style where it's all about breaking into buildings, shooting your way out, and covering your escape by firing at the cops.

It can also be about teams of paranoid and hypercompetent professionals figuring out how to account for every contingency and striving constantly to keep everything brilliantly low-key, so that after they're done it takes a day or two to even figure out that a crime was committed.

And it can be about people struggling to survive while being forced into taking impossible jobs from shady corporate types who ruthlessly exploit and betray them at every turn and pay barely enough to replace operating costs and pay the rent.

Needless to say, each of these results in a very different game of Shadowrun. Decide what works for your group, read the books thoroughly, and tweak the flavor appropriately.

>> No.9368784

>>9368733
I'm guessing it'll be mostly run and gun in the beginning to get a handle on everything. Though I would like a combination of all three of those >: 3

... but then I'd have to be an evil genius.

>> No.9368807

>>9368724
I don't blame you at all. I used to staff one of those places, and it pretty much was like that 95% of the time.

But anyways, you might want to warm up to the game with just test combats and stuff,
like >>9368648 suggested. It's not a bad idea, and a lot of people learn better by playing the game.

Other then that, honestly, just have fun with it. Do what you guys want.

>> No.9368868
File: 637 KB, 2355x2773, moderntroops.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

I <3 you guys. Thank you!

>> No.9368958
File: 94 KB, 750x600, ShadowrunPlanning-motivational.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>9368394
Remember this.
It WILL happen.

Also, don't try to guide your players, let them do stupid shits and roll with, but let them face the consequences.

For example, my group once thought they could kill cops and get away with it. They had to flee to europe (and not "nice" europe, east-european warzones). Although that wasn't what I had planned at all.
But I didn't killed/railroaded them like some other GM would have done and it made for an awesome campaign.

>> No.9368978

>>9368394
Run Shadowrun instead.

>> No.9368992

>>9368784
From a GM's perspective, run and gun is nice because it's easy to prepare for. Set up a building and know how many guards are inside, what armor they're wearing, what they're armed with, and how they're keeping in communication. Throw mages, drones, and paracritters in to spice. Know how long it'll take for backup to show up after they call for it, and what it will consist of.

Super-professionals, on the other hand, can be a headache to work with. You're likely to spend far less of the session rolling dice and far more answering the occasional question while the players argue. You need to have not only everything that you would prepare for run and gun, but also cameras, sensors, matrix and astral equivalents of layout/guards/sensors, a sense for the usual operations of the target and how it's normally run, knowledge of who runs it, what they look like, and maybe even their personal habits. When the group actually starts doing things, you need to keep track of not only who's shooting them when, but also if any cameras have seen them and not been erased later, if they failed to spoof their datatrail or scrub their astral signature, and so forth.

>> No.9369001

>>9368992
Then consider how long it'll take for corp hackers and security mages to comb the place for evidence, and keep track of how much information on each of the runners each corporation has been able to amass and how much they care about the damage they've done. When a corp both cares and can track a runner down, either have them start taking out hits or hire the runner for a job where the Johnson is explicitly trying to get them killed while concealing the fact.

Which leads into the third sort of game. In that, it's most important to keep track of exactly what the motivations of all the Johnsons are- and make sure that there are several for every job, all offering side bits and incentives for betrayal. Keep an absolute lockdown on PC cashflow, and enforce the item acquisition rules stringently to stop them from getting ammo and cyberware that they need so that they throw themselves into a web of intrigue willingly chasing a few more nuyen. The problem here is that you need to know exactly what every strand in that web wants, and since they're all demanding different things it can become annoying to keep track of. Mix with the two above styles to taste.

>> No.9369022
File: 10 KB, 154x193, Yotsuba_wut.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>9368978

>> No.9369160
File: 11 KB, 332x300, reaction1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>9368992
>>9369001
Dear god...

>> No.9369286
File: 194 KB, 1100x770, NeonCity_Return_by_OmeN2501.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Here's what happens when some runners go buy some food.

>> No.9369387

I'd be more worried about it being your first time DMing than it being SR. That said, the structure of Shadowrun's a little less sandboxxy, which is nice. However, the mechanics are scary.

That said, I knew fuck all about the mechanics when I started running it and things turned out all right. I'd take baby steps into Matrix and magic, though; only learn as much as you need for your playgroup, and learn incrementally from there. My group likes magicians, so I had to learn that quick, but the Matrix rules we still aren't all that clear on.

Have you decided where you're setting the campaign? I'd recommend one of the predone cities for a newbie GM; that way, the story hooks you can draw off of are kind of all there and made for you. And if you make a decent plot with them, people won't care too much if you fumble the rules a bit.

>>9368958

I've seen plenty of groups do this, but mine really has the opposite problem; planning just frustrates and angers them. It's a more seat of the pants experience. Point being, this does vary by group.

>> No.9369398

>>9368569

I'll second this. There's a lot more thematic richness to the setting, if you ask me, than to your typical swords-and-sorcery milieu; to borrow one of my pcs, you're not just an elf magician who wants lootz and XP, you're Maria Francisca, a Yucatec Maya shaman with a grudge against the megacorp Aztechnology, who has no SIN and does shadowruns for people she may or may not like so much, to feed her four kids and save for their future. Being "regular folks" on some level, especially downtrodden ones, makes for a very different feel.

>>9369001

Mine tends towards a mix of the third and first types; the political landscape is very important, but the actual gameplay is pretty flashy and violent. I try to betray them just occasionally enough for them to be blindsided by it, but not for it to become cliche. I figure for the shadow economy to work, Johnsons have to actually pay up the bulk of the time.

>> No.9369435

>>9369286
Which is why every runner worth their salt calls for delivery. They have their food delivered to a contact, who they meet at a predetermined point while holding an empty container identical to that holding the food. The switch of identical bags is a classic maneuver.

Since their contact could have been killed or impersonated, most will use some sort of detection method to discover if there's poison or explosives inside the goods- magic is good for that, but some have to use more fallible tech. Since they could have been followed, a quick pit stop where they disguise themselves and change bags is recommended as well.

After that, back home and it's snack time.

>> No.9369463

>>9369435
Killed AND impersonated. Excuse me. The contact betraying you is also an ever-present option.

>> No.9369482

>>9368807

You know, for this reason, you might want to have the first run be one with only a small combat or two. Perhaps an investigation or something. That'll also get them meeting contacts, touring the city and learning their way around its shadows.

>> No.9369512

>>9369387
I decided it's going to be set in an urban environment, probably Seattle. What book(s) have the premade cities?

>> No.9369575
File: 118 KB, 628x800, RunnerHavens.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>9369512
Seattle 4th is in Runner Havens

>> No.9369747

Check out the Dumpshock forums; you can probably find some good threads on newbie GMing archived there, as well as asking questions. Even devs hang out there.

Also, find out what level of effort and paranoia the players are looking for. As some posters above mentioned, if you really go all-out, you can easily wind up trying to simulate the desires, abilities, and knowledge of hundreds of PCs and how they interact with each other as well as the players, plus all of inanimate (and some animate) surveillance technologies and forensic abilities running around--Spot checks aren't enough in SR.

>> No.9369803

>>9369512

Runner Havens has Seattle, although it's also been given its own book as an update in Seattle 2072. The other big city in RH is Hong Kong.

As far as other big writeups go, Corporate Enclaves has LA (full of media stuff, Horizon's home city, half sunken by earthquakes) and Neo-Tokyo (lol japan). Feral Cities has Chicago (basically, modern Detroit with insect spirits) and Lagos (it's West Africa! Only it's WORSE!!11one).

There's also about four smaller writeups for each book.
RH: Hamburg, Istanbul, Cape Town, Caracas
CE: Nairobi, Manhattan, Tenochtitlan, Dubai, Europort (the Netherlands)
FC: Karavan (a pair of blimps and a fuckton of nomads in Central Asia), Geneva, Sarajevo, Northern Italy, Bogota

Honestly, Seattle's a good choice because there's a lot of material on it, but you may want to consider reading the other cities' writeups and seeing if there's one that really jumps out at you, that you really have a vision for. Maybe you like what they've done with it, maybe you have a connection to the RL city, who knows? But if you can get yourself a vision for what you want to do with this campaign, that really helps.

>> No.9369950
File: 1.73 MB, 1920x1080, AugmentedReality_suspects.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Not op.

I have some difficulties integrating AR efficiently, any tips?

>> No.9369986

>>9369950

I tend to use it purely as background description. Just mention occasionally that "the ganger has black flames on as an AR aura" or "the bar's AR scheme is set to make it look like a 1930s speakeasy." Things like that, little things.

>> No.9370224

>>9369803
>loljapan
Cyberpunk is kickass, but I hate Japanese weeaboo setting...

>> No.9370251
File: 136 KB, 600x840, arclight1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>9370224
There is not much weeaboo about shadowrun.
Also, loljapan version

>> No.9370371

>>9370224
>>9370251

Older SR was a bit more weeaboo, but they've turned it down to a reasonable level. And again, depends where you're running it; Seattle is pretty high on the weeaboo scale, but my game's in Minneapolis/St. Paul, which I'm treating as remarkably Japanacorp free. Main cultural elements running through that campaign are Hmong and Irish stuff. (Irish militants running around and shit, lot of Hmong loanword-slang on the shadowchats I send to players, etc)

>> No.9370396

Put a dwarf rigger in there and make the elf male and you have my last Shadowrun group.

Dwarf Rigger: Me, I loves me the drones.
Orc Adept: Supa gunslinga gal
Gothic Lolita Technomancer: Pretty Self Explanitory
Elf Mage: Archtpyical Dandelion Eater
Troll Mystic Adept: Supa Kung-fu and had gleaming white teeth.

>> No.9370416

>>9370371
Yeah, but back when SR first came out, the notion that the Japanese would eat us alive and all corporations were adopting Japanese management style (even if they weren't bought out) was a big concern. They pretty much had to tone it down because the idea is laughable these days, but it was a big part of the genre to let go of.

>> No.9370454

>>9370416

Exactly. It's part and parcel of the genre because of those 80s fears, if you look at like, Snow Crash (the main guy delivers pizza with a fucking katana). So taking it all the way out would be bad. But leaving it entirely in would be a little too retro (unless, of course, that's what you're going for, but those people are sticking with the old editions anyways).

>> No.9370480
File: 212 KB, 600x1051, arclight3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>9370396
Actually the Troll is a technomancer and the GothicLolita is a gillette.

>> No.9370571

>>9370480
As soon as I read that I noticed the little bot on the Troll's horn. In any case, the characters are remarkably like my groups. Do you have any more pics I can forward them? They are pretty cool.

>> No.9370610
File: 218 KB, 600x1037, arclight2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>9370571
Not much, only 2.

>> No.9370620
File: 150 KB, 600x1025, arclight4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

And that's all.

>> No.9370637
File: 77 KB, 600x750, Shadowrun-motivational7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

The ork is more or less this one though

>> No.9370647

>>9370620
>>9370610
Thanks, my group will get a kick out of them.

>> No.9370677

Well, I was hoping to found more on the official site, but none for now:
http://www.arclight.co.jp/r_r/shadowrun/top.html

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action