Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.9034335 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Good day to you, /tg/. I come bearing a small gift, and on this day, it would be the Class Acts: Warlock: Dealers in Deviltry: Crimson Knights of Bael Turath article of Dragon Magazine #386:
http://rapidshare.com/files/372933339/Dragon_386_Class_Acts_Warlock_Dealers_in_Deviltry_Crimson_Knig
hts_of_Bael_Turath.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hzozj2ymlrk

With respect to the correlation between ability scores and class design, there are two types of classes in 4th Edition: A-shaped classes and V-shaped classes. An A-shaped class uses a single primary ability score. Its two, sometimes three or four, secondary scores are dependent on build-determining class features. For example, a barbarian always holds Strength as her primary score, but her choice of build is what sets her secondary score: Constitution for Rageblood Vigor and Thunderborn Wrath, Dexterity for Whirling Slayer, and Charisma for Thaneborn Triumph. A member of a V-shaped class, on the other hand, must choose between one of two ability scores, although her secondary ability score stays constant no matter her selection. For instance, a paladin can be either Strength/Wisdom-based or Charisma/Wisdom-based, though a few bold souls may opt for the relatively unconventional Strength/Charisma-based paladin, a build that employs both of the class's primary scores.

>> No.9034355

Thank you, Adslahnit.

>> No.9034377

Twenty-one classes (ardent, artificer, assassin, avenger, barbarian, bard, battlemind, druid, fighter, invoker, monk, psion, rogue, runepriest, seeker, shaman, sorcerer, swordmage, warden, warlord, wizard) are A-shaped, whereas only four (cleric, paladin, ranger, warlock) are V-shaped for a good reason. An A-shaped class is inherently more intuitive than a V-shaped class, as the former clearly lays out the primary and secondary scores of each of its builds, and its assortment of attack powers can be used with passable efficacy by any of its members. A V-shaped class is substantially more difficult to figure out the proper ability scores for, and a good half of its attack powers are virtually inaccessible by a character of the "opposite" primary ability score. Mind you, the four A-shaped classes are all from the Player's Handbook 1, a rulebook that is considered mechanically questionable by today's standards due to being the product of Wizards of the Coast's first attempts at class design in the edition. The fact that no V-shaped classes have been released since then is a testament to the horrors of V-shaped class design.

>> No.9034393

The Class Acts: Warlock: Dealers in Deviltry: Crimson Knights of Bael Turath article of Dragon Magazine #386 directly tampers with the fragile V-shaped design of the warlock, presenting one at-will attack power and seven encounter attack powers for the Infernal Pact warlock build that are, in an unanticipated turn of events, Charisma/Intelligence-based. And so it came to pass that the standard Constitution/Intelligence-based warlock was left neglected, a new build having sprung forth from the aether to convolve the tumultuous warlock class more so than it already is. This was a poor call for the article and an unnecessary addition to the system, in my opinion, but new options are new options, and this panders to and pampers those players who have been clamoring for tieflings to be an optimal Infernal Pact warlock race. Players of hybrid paladin|warlocks who seek an "infernal knight" (rather than "eyebite knight") flavor may find these powers appealing as well.

The at-will attack power can be taken in place of Hellish Rebuke, and six out of the seven encounter attack powers bear the mechanical theme of you taking damage on a miss to reroll a less potent version of the attack. Please take note that the color ratings for the encounter attack powers below assume that you are a Charisma/Intelligence-based Infernal Pact warlock; tone down each rating one step for Charisma/Intelligence-based warlocks not of the Infernal Pact. Also, two new magic items for warlocks of any build can be found along the love-colored paths that we are to traverse.

>> No.9034416

>Gift to Avernus, Warlock At-Will Attack 1
>At-Will ✦ Arcane, Implement
>Standard Action Ranged 10
>Target: One creature
>Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
>Hit: 1d10 + Charisma modifier damage.
>Level 21: 2d10 + Charisma modifier.
>Miss: You can choose to take damage equal to your level to reroll the attack roll. You can choose this only once each time you use this attack.

Black (3/5). On a hit, this is nothing more than a non-basic Eldritch Blast with 10 less range. On a miss, you can harm yourself to reroll the attack. This is a passable power due to how it ensures that your Warlock's Curse damage and static damage bonuses push through and reach your target, and you can even mitigate the damage using your Dark One's Own Luck pact boon, which has the tendency to weigh you down with redundant temporary hit points. Take note that damage resistance can abate the damage that you receive for rerolling the attack. In the event that you are a tiefling and you use the Arcane Admixture paragon feat to have this power deal fire damage, you can use the enormous damage resistance from the Bael Turath Born paragon feat to shrug off the fire damage that you would receive from rerolling the attack, effectively turning this into a self-rerolling Eldritch Blast (sky blue [5/5]).

>> No.9034433

>Grasp of the Iron Tower, Warlock Encounter Attack 1
>Encounter ✦ Arcane, Implement
>Standard Action, Ranged 10
>Primary Target: One creature
>Primary Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
>Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier damage, and the primary target cannot move closer to you until the end of your next turn.
>Infernal Pact: You gain resist to all damage equal to 2 + your Intelligence modifier until the end of your next turn.
>Miss: You take damage equal to your level but can make a secondary attack.
>Secondary Target: One creature other than the primary target
>Secondary Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
>Hit: One-half of 2d10 + Charisma modifier damage, and the secondary target cannot move closer to you until the end of your next turn.

Blue (4/5). Preventing a melee-focused enemy from moving to engage you or your allies, or stopping an artillery monster from shifting away from your own melee allies, is of much tactical value. Not only can you lock an enemy into a dangerous or unproductive position, but you ward yourself with a sizable amount of universal damage resistance to boot, abrogating some of the sting from the miss effects of your Infernal Pact powers.

>> No.9034464

>Lure of Minauros, Warlock Encounter Attack 3
>Encounter ✦ Arcane, Fear, Implement, Psychic
>Primary Attack: Charisma vs. Will
>Hit: 1d10 + Charisma modifier psychic damage, and the primary target takes a free action to make a melee basic attack against a creature of your choice (including itself ) that is adjacent to it.
>Infernal Pact: Until the end of your next turn, whenever an enemy attacks you, each other enemy adjacent to you takes psychic damage equal to your Charisma modifier.
>Secondary Attack: Charisma vs. Will
>Hit: One-half of 1d10 + Charisma modifier psychic damage, and the secondary target takes a free action to make a melee basic attack against a creature of your choice (including itself) that is adjacent to it; the secondary target’s attack deals half damage.

Sky blue (5/5). Doling out Eldritch Blast-equivalent damage to a single enemy and then forcing it to attack itself might lack clout on its own, but when used against an enemy marked by a defender, this can easily become a powerful triple attack: one attack from you, one attack from your enemy, and one attack from the defender. You even discourage enemies from surrounding you and attacking you in melee, which is a good precaution against minions.

>> No.9034483

>Pain to Pleasure, Warlock Encounter Attack 7
>Encounter ✦ Arcane, Fire, Healing, Implement
>Primary Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex. Make two attack rolls. If either of them hits, resolve them as a single hit, and both of them must miss for the attack to miss.
>Hit: 1d10 + Charisma modifier fire damage if one attack roll hits, or 2d10 + Charisma modifier fire damage if two hit. If at least one attack roll hits, you regain hit points equal to your Intelligence modifier.
>Infernal Pact: You regain additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.
>Secondary Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex. Make two attack rolls. If either of them hits, resolve them as a single hit, and both of them must miss for the attack to miss.
>Hit: One-half of 1d10 + Charisma modifier fire damage if one attack roll hits, or 2d10 + Charisma modifier fire damage if two hit. If at least one attack roll hits, you regain hit points equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Blue (4/5). The damage of this attack is lacking to be sure, but its accuracy is splendid due to its two attack rolls. On a successful hit, you are gifted with a large amount of surgeless healing. This, along with your Dark One's Own Luck pact boon, can compensate for your lack of a high Constitution modifier and your tendency to deal damage upon yourself.

>> No.9034492

>Ice Blades of Levistus, Warlock Encounter Attack 13
>Encounter ✦ Arcane, Cold, Implement
>Hit: 2d10 + Charisma modifier cold damage. In addition, you mark the target and immobilize it until the end of your next turn.
>Infernal Pact: If the target makes an attack that does not include you as a target before the end of your next turn, it takes 2d10 + your Charisma modifier cold damage.
>Hit: One-half of 2d10 + Charisma modifier cold damage. In addition, you mark the target and slow it until the end of your next turn.

Sky blue (5/5). There is little hope for a melee-focused enemy that is hit by this power. It is rendered immobilized and marked by you, and so it must attack, say, an ally of yours adjacent to it at a -2 penalty, receiving 2d10 + Charisma modifier cold damage as thanks. In other words, with proper tactics, this can easily serve as a powerful double attack.

>> No.9034539

>Dire Portents of Malbolge, Warlock Encounter Attack 17
>Encounter ✦ Arcane, Fear, Implement
>Hit: 3d10 + Charisma modifier damage, and the primary target is dazed until the start of its next turn.
>Infernal Pact: You can slide each enemy within 2 squares of the primary target a number of squares equal to your Intelligence modifier to a square more than 2 squares from the primary target.
>Hit: One-half of 3d10 + Charisma modifier damage, and the secondary target is dazed until the start of its next turn.

Blue (4/5). Dazing an enemy and then sliding all enemies within 2 squares of it a very large distance can clear the way for focus-fire tactics from your party to bring that opponent down quite swiftly.

>> No.9034553

>Web of Lies, Warlock Encounter Attack 23
>Encounter ✦ Arcane, Fear, Implement, Psychic, Zone
>Hit: 4d10 + Charisma modifier psychic damage, and you create a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. The zone fills the primary target’s space and all squares adjacent to it. The primary target cannot leave the zone, and it can make attacks only against creatures within the zone.
>Infernal Pact: If the primary target does not attack during its next turn, it takes psychic damage equal to 15 + your Intelligence modifier.
>Hit: One-half of 4d10 + Charisma modifier psychic damage, and you create a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. The zone fills the secondary target’s space and all squares adjacent to it. The secondary target cannot leave the zone, and it can make attacks only against creatures within the zone.

Blue (4/5). Hex an enemy of your choice with this power, order your allies to break away from squares adjacent to it, and observe as it is forced to either attack one of its allies or receive a large chunk of automatic secondary damage.

>> No.9034638

>Hellfire Fury, Warlock Encounter Attack 27
>Encounter ✦ Arcane, Fire, Implement
>Standard Action, Ranged 20
>Target: One creature
>Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
>Hit: 4d10 + Charisma modifier fire damage.
>Infernal Pact: You gain a power bonus to your next attack roll against the target equal to your Intelligence modifier.
>Miss: You must repeat this attack against a different creature, gaining a cumulative +5 bonus to the damage roll each time you miss. You cannot target the same creature with this attack twice. You can choose to take damage equal to your level to cancel this miss effect.

Purple (2/5). This is quite an intriguing power, but unless you are somehow permitted to intentionally miss targets for the sake of accumulating as high a damage bonus as possible, the guaranteed hit of this attack should inflict only mediocre damage for its level. The large power bonus to its next attack roll should set you up for another encounter or daily attack power, but this is already your highest-level encounter attack power.

>Rod of Avernus, Level 3/8/13/18/23/28
>Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
>Critical: +1d6 damage per plus
>Property: When you gain the benefit of your warlock’s pact boon, you can slide each enemy affected by your Warlock’s Curse 1 square.
>Power (Daily): Minor Action. Until the end of the encounter, any enemy that ends its turn adjacent to you takes 5 psychic damage.
>Level 13 or 18: The damage increases to 10.
>Level 23 or 28: The damage increases to 15.

Black (3/5). The property of this item is a generic, so-so forced movement effect against cursed enemies when your pact boon is triggered. Its daily power strongly dissuades enemies from engaging you in melee for the entire encounter. Both should be solid enough, if somewhat average. However, melee warlock builds (blue [4/5]) can use the rod's daily power to even greater effect, for reasons that should be obvious.

>> No.9034656

>Armor of Dark Majesty, Level 4/9/14/19/24/29
>Armor: Leather, hide
>Enhancement: AC
>Property: You gain an item bonus to Bluff and Intimidate checks equal to this armor’s enhancement bonus.
>Property: You gain a +2 item bonus to all defenses against enemies under your Warlock’s Curse.
>Power (Daily): Minor Action. Place your Warlock’s Curse on any enemy you can see, rather than the nearest enemy.

Sky blue (5/5). This behemoth of an armor enchantment can serve as a defense- and skill-bolstering alternative to the ubiquitous Shadow Warlock Armor. Bluff and Intimidate are two key skills for most Charisma/Intelligence-based warlocks, and the +2 item bonus to defenses against cursed targets, which could be half of the enemies present in an encounter with a feat such as Twofold Curse, prolongs your lifespan. Its daily power is something that most could care less about, but it does not detract from the sheer value of this item.

Although I insist that a set of Charisma/Intelligence-based Infernal Pact warlock powers should not have been introduced into the system, I must say that much of these powers are quite efficacious. I could definitely see the Charisma/Intelligence-based Infernal Pact warlock becoming a solid, viable build.

That is all for the moment; thank you for tuning in to today's installment of Let's Read Dragon Magazine.

>> No.9034773

> Winning Races: Tieflings: Dealers in Deviltry: Crimson Knights of Bael Turath
fixed

goddammit

>> No.9034809

That's a long title.

>> No.9034832

>>9034656
>Although I insist that a set of Charisma/Intelligence-based Infernal Pact warlock powers should not have been introduced into the system
Because you're a fag. It's simple. Tiefling infernalock? High CHA, take these.

>rapidshare link
Why the hell do you still use rapidshare anyway?

>mediafire link
See, that's much better. Why not use two good hosts, like mediafire and megaupload or something?

>> No.9034855

>>9034335
Stop it. You know perfectly well that only trolls will tell you that they like your incessant spam.

>> No.9034858

>>9034855
>I don't like it. Therefore, nobody could.
>My opinion is objective fact
>I'm a Christian

>> No.9034872

As long as there are no CON/INT races, I do not give a shit about the fate of CON/INT builds.

>> No.9034875

Thanks, I was looking for this article earlier. :D

>> No.9034883

>>9034872
>OH MY GOD IF I DON'T HAVE +1 TO MY SECONDARY STAT THE WORLD ENDS
>IT ENDS, I TELL YOU
>OMG HAVING 1 LESS POINT OF AC/REF AND SECONDARY BENEFITS OF SOME POWERS REDUCED BY 1 MEANS IT'S UNPLAYABLE

Why are you such a faggot, faggot?

>> No.9034888

>>9034858
>I'm a Christian

Oh come on, don't start that shit in here.

>> No.9034892

>>9034888
>I'm a Christian, and I'm butthurt.

>> No.9034914

Damnit touhoufag. Look what you did.

Sage

>> No.9034918

>>9034656
>Although I insist that a set of Charisma/Intelligence-based Infernal Pact warlock powers should not have been introduced into the system
I totally agree. I can't tell if this article arises from "tieflings should be natural inferlocks" whinging or from the popularity of the paladin|warlock hybrid.

My two-bits: warlocks should be an A-shaped CON-based class. Warlocks are minions or NPCs that were unfortunate or unlucky or cursed or simply unwise enough to enter into a pact with a eldritch being and be a conduit for its powers. The stronger the body, the better they can channel those arcane energies. Seriously, they don't have the arcana class skill, they don't have ritual casting, they are the ginger kids of the arcane class.

>> No.9034927

>>9034914
>I'm a Christian, and I'm really butthurt about the truth.

>> No.9034945

>>9034858
Well yeah. Apart from the Christian part, you're perfectly right. I'm an atheist, and my opinion is objective fact.

>> No.9034968

>>9034945
Sorry, but that isn't how matters of preference work.

>> No.9035007

>>9034968
Maybe if you're a christfag. Touhou and 4e ARE objective shit, and you know it.

>> No.9035025

Why insist on keeping a CON/INT pact when there are no go along with it and when it is, even not considering the race issue, not the strongest of warlock pacts? Tiefling stat bonuses and the bonus charisma from the infernal sovereign ED scream "IP should not be CON/INT".

>> No.9035060

>>9035007
-10/10

>> No.9035061

>>9035007
>still insisting that matters of preference work that way
But matters of preference don't work that way.

>> No.9035067

>>9035061
>>9035007
>>9034968
>>9034945
>>9034927
>>9034892
>>9034858

Stop this shit, you gigantic babies.

>> No.9035081

>>9035067
It's a troll and another troll trolling the troll. You're just encouraging them.

>> No.9035104

Warlocks can never be wizards, for their class is not that of Elminster Aumar. Nevertheless, they will ever aspire to the standards and teachings of the great Harper, and recognise Mystra as their spiritual liege.

>> No.9035171

>>9034832

Generating a division between Constitution/Intelligence- and Charisma/Intelligence-based Infernal Pact warlocks was an unnecessary design decision. The issues of Star Pact warlocks need not be echoed, and neophyte players need not be confused into the fatal error of splitting their ability scores three ways between Constitution, Intelligence, and Charisma. The eight powers in this article could have been designated as Constitution-based rather than Charisma-based, supporting the main Infernal Pact warlock build. In the final page of the article is an empty space that could have contained a feat gratifying the "tiefling infernal knight" archetype, one such as the following:

Crimson Knight
Prerequisite: Tiefling, Eldritch Pact (Infernal Pact) class feature
Benefit: You can use your Charisma modifier in place of your Constitution modifier when using warlock or warlock paragon path powers.
You gain proficiency in all military and superior light blades and heavy blades, and can use any light blade or heavy blade as an implement for warlock and warlock paragon path powers.
When you wield a scythe as a two-handed weapon, its proficiency bonus increases to +3, its damage increases to 1d12, and it gains the High Crit property.

>>9035025

Various signs point to tieflings receiving variable ability score bonuses in the future, specifically, in the updated racial statistics blocks in the D&D Essentials line. Half-elves are effectively confirmed to be eligible for a Wisdom bonus as of Dragon Magazine #385; tieflings shall, in all likelyhood, stand to gain +2 Constitution.

>> No.9035207

>>9035171
No new content is a "necessary" design decision. This won't confuse new players any more than the existence of the V-shaped Warlock already does. Your argument kind of sucks.

>> No.9035310

>>9035207

The Star Pact warlock is a build that deceives many a new player into gravitate towards the belief that high Constitution, Intelligence, and Charisma scores are necessary for such a character. Giving a second warlock build this dichotomy increases the probability of a new player opening that Character Builder program she was told to download and coming to a similar conclusion, that her chosen warlock build calls for high Constitution, Intelligence, and Charisma scores.

>> No.9035585

>>9034918

Warlocks do receive Arcana as a class skill, but their ritual casting is indeed natively nonexistent. This is especially cruel when you consider that the Dark Thaumaturgy heroic feat gives a warlock milestone-based bonuses to skill checks made as part of a ritual.

>> No.9036745

I'm raging because these would've been perfect for Conlocks and their huge hps.

>> No.9038840

> Warlocks do receive Arcana as a class skill, but their ritual casting is indeed natively nonexistent.
good catch, meant to said "Warlocks don't gain the Arcana skill as a class feature, ..."

>> No.9039425

... so the easiest way to fix this article is to change the attack line from "Charisma vs." to "Constitution or Charisma vs." like Eldritch Blast and Eldritch Strike have. It allows for the Tiefling option while not penalizing existing hellocks. Com'n Wizards, make this happen.

>> No.9039587

Looks like an attempt to make tiefling infernal pact warlock decent.

Thanks for telling us about it, and saying it looks pretty good.

>> No.9039646

Hey, OPshit. Use name and tripcode, I want to filter out your shit. While not against the rules, your shitdumps are inherently detrimental to my /tg/ experience, and I hate your posts.

>> No.9039742

>>9039646

Because just hiding these threads takes so long?

Besides, he took the time to name his files in a unique manner.

>> No.9039754

>>9034335

Thanks for the info. I agree about Infernal Being Con but on the other hand my Paladin/Warlock is much happier.

>> No.9039772

>>9039425
I'd rather they just feat tax it away.

As long as the feat for it is GOOD.

>> No.9039784

>>9035171
>Crimson Knight feat

YES! Amazing! I've already been screwing around with a melee Blackguard-style Hellknight. I was trying to force it as a Warlock/Swordmage Hybrid, but now I don't have to screw around with wacky hybrid rules to do it.

>> No.9039796

>>9039742
He also goes to great pains (avoiding name, tripcode and thread title) to make his shitdumps unfilterable. He WANTS us to hide his threads manually - and I'll use my next vacation to travel to Asia and blow up his house.

>> No.9039926

>>9039784
Too bad it's a homebrew that TF just made up.

>> No.9040250

>>9039425

Your suggestion would surely please many an Infernal Pact warlock player were it to be implemented. Perhaps you could convey it to the author of the article?

http://twitter.com/Mikemearls

>>9039587
>>9039754

A Charisma/Intelligence-based warlock could rely on the encounter attack powers of this article from levels 1 to 30. Even more favorable is the fact that warlock daily attack powers seldom carry Pact-specific rider effects, allowing such a warlock to subsist on Charisma-based daily powers. However, short of the Twofold Pact paragon feat, I see this less as an article for existing warlock players and more as a piece for those wishing to create a warlock character.

>> No.9041277

>>9035171
>When you wield a scythe as a two-handed weapon, its proficiency bonus increases to +3, its damage increases to 1d12, and it gains the High Crit property.

Great touch.

>> No.9041784

>>9034416
>you can use the enormous damage resistance from the Bael Turath Born paragon feat to shrug off the fire damage that you would receive from rerolling the attack, effectively turning this into a self-rerolling Eldritch Blast (sky blue [5/5]).
Or you can not be a pussy and just take the damage.

>> No.9042839

Thanks for the upload.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action