Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 504 KB, 1406x2400, 68a19c2c81c3ff5d02602cea2ac117e9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
77925785 No.77925785 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Rising From The Earth Edition

Tell us about your horror settings, games, etc. Share inspirational art, prompts, etc.

>List of games:
Call of Cthulhu, Chill, Cold and Dark, Degenesis, Delta Green, Don't Rest Your Head, Dread, Esoterrorists/Fear Itself+Book of Unremitting Horror, Fall of Delta Green, GORE, Into The Shadows, KULT, Little Fears, Mothership RPG, Nemesis (free on Arc Dream's website), Nights Black Agents, Silent Legions (Mostly for the tables), Stalker: The SciFi RPG, Symbaroum, Ten Candles, Trail of Cthulhu, Unisystem (All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Witchcraft, Conspiracy X, etc.), Unknown Armies

>Inspirational stuff:
Caitlin R Kiernan, Castlevania, Doomwatch, Fear & Hunger, George Romero, Ghostwatch, House of Leaves, I Am In Eskew, John Carpenter, Kolchak the Nightstalker, Laird Barron, M.R. James, Nick Cutter, Old Gods of Appalachia, Quatermass, Ramsey Campbell, Remedy Series (Alan Wake, Control), SCP Foundation, Scarfolk Council, Shaun Hutson, Silent Hill, Stand Still Stay Silent, The Evil Dead, The Magnus Archives, The Secret World, The Stone Tapes, Thomas Ligotti, Twin Peaks, Vault of Evil forums, toomuchhorrorfiction

Questions for the Thread:
>How are zombies presented in your games? What sort of threat do they pose?
>What do you think is the best way to use zombies in a horror game?
>Opinions on the standard undead apocalypse or shambling horde in a game?

Questions for Horrorverse refugees:
>What are your favorite stories or media that use zombies?
>What would be your preferred story using them?

Previous Thread:
>>77844497

Please try to keep arguing to a minimum. Don't respond to bait/drama posts.
And as usual, try and keep it alive, or at least undead.

>> No.77925922
File: 14 KB, 200x514, The-Mystery-Man-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Can't believe that last thread died so suddenly.

Reminder to read books from other systems to steal ideas.

>> No.77925931

>>77925785
sorry man but after this decade i never wanna see zombies again.

>> No.77926062

>>77925922
I went away for an hour or two and poof, it was gone.

>>77925931
That's fair. This decade has been pretty shitty.

>> No.77926112
File: 51 KB, 800x347, primary_zombiefulci-thumb-510x221-40941.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

So far I've run Call of Cthulhu so my zombies have been reanimated corpses. I avoid headshots killing and instead go for overall damage and the corpse not having enough material to hold it together.
I've also had a really clever spell I created for corpse pupeteering since the default Call of Cthulhu "create zombie" spell purposefully takes a lot of time and resources. I called it "Hand of the Puppetmaster" and it's relatively quick to cast and allows the caster to control a corpse by "finger walking" with one hand (middle and ring finger legs, pinkie and index finger arms).
The spell requires practice and dexterity can be dual wielded to use both hands and control two at once. The major limitation is you must be able to see the corpses being puppeted and you sacrifice any ability to speak or intricate actions done with the hands so all they can do is walk and swing. The corpses also require dismemberment of the corpse or disruption of the caster to destroy.

And yes you can force the corpse to do things its anatomy was not meant to via hand contortions and yes it is going to look fucking weird when it walks.
You're basically choosing to trade between the ability to move the arms forward and the ability to bend its knees unless the caster is double jointed. (Also

For anyone who wants to use it here's a loose version
Puppeteer's Hand (Create Corpse Puppet)
MP Cost 4
Sanity Cost 1d6
Time to cast 1d4 rounds
Requires complete use of one hand.

For the puppet's stats give it around 8 health per limb and have it do typical zombie damage.

>> No.77926168

>>77925785
I love slow, but semi-intelligant zombies. Really amps up the terror.

>> No.77926180

>>77925785
Trying to come up with a fantasy setting where everybody is a zombie. They live in a huge city, but since they are undead, they don't have to deal with the "what do they eat" issue.
Still thinking about an element that prevents the people from turning into mindless zombies. The wealthy and powerful have lots of it, so they can even disguise their undead appearances and look alive. The larger population get scraps of it enough so they don't go full zombie.
The player characters somehow would provide lots of this through their adventures.
Don't know how an economy would look like in a society where people don't need to eat. What would they "live" for assuming their state of undeath has already been mostly accepted and normalized.

>> No.77926250
File: 91 KB, 588x382, I-Am-A-Hero.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

This is down to the tone and the game itself. I prefer Fulchi's zombies where rather than having them be snarling, angry or dumb humans they're almost like emotionless things being puppeted by someone. Just like a corpse, its face never moves. When a PC sees it, tell them it seems like something that SHOULD be an object, should be motionless but it's... moving?

It can work but as another anon said... unfortunately it's been very much played out and twisted a lot of ways at this point. I feel like any place like America is going to make it tough but Japan is secretly a fantastic setting for it because of the lack of guns and most weapons.

I Am a Hero had an amazing take on them and did everything that it could to avoid being a conventional zombie apocalypse story, plus it's the first time in a while that I've seen zombies as legitimately terrifying. I also really like how it avoided the typical "left 4 dead" types that we see a lot but also keeps finding new ways to keep them unsettling.
It does the typical thing and points out that shut-ins/recluses are most likely to survive a situation like this but it also points out A. Why that's a bad thing and B. that because of how they survive it's almost better that they didn't.
Also it focuses a lot on how mental health can play a role in a story like this.
They even track 2chan midway into the manga as a way to watch the progression of things.

Yeah the ending's weak (more just unsatisfying but it makes sense if you understand the characters), and some parts get a little too weird but god is it good at what it does.
I Am a Hero showed how in the right place a zombie baby is the scariest fucking thing imaginable.

If you plan to read it (and do) avoid looking up images first as you can get spoiled on major twists easily.
[Also the official english translation is really good]

>> No.77926272

>>77926180
Check out the final Deadworld in the original All Flesh Must Be Eaten book it's sort of like that, but absolutely fascinating in terms of where and how you can take it.

Imagine Vampire except the masquerade failed immediately and you don't get the cool powers as an advantage. It's insanely fucking cool, to the point where they even threw more at it with rules for characters in the GM screen pack.

>> No.77926306
File: 133 KB, 600x863, iamherov1p8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Reminder to up the fear of your zombies by randomly rolling up some of them tool use, the ability to climb ladders/stairs/doors or create long-term plans.

Also if your players say zombies wouldn't be a challenge throw The Crossed at them instead. They'll be fucked super fast.

>> No.77926314

Any zombie books and vns you guys recommend?

>> No.77926317

>>77926306
>pic
before anyone reports there is tiddy but there is also no nipple. You also can't see vagoo.

>> No.77926368

>>77926250
>>77926306
The fuck am I looking at here?

>> No.77926385
File: 753 KB, 600x1000, Headless_Zombie.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77925785
When I was young I had a mix of fascination and horror from the zombies of oblivion mainly because the idea that magic zombies don't abide by the rules of standard pop culture zombies. So I use them and describe them as such, heavily mutilated shambling corpses which can take a huge amount of damage and deal a lot too if they actually manage to hit you. Mostly like to have them pop up in places you would think to find abandoned corpses and like to tailor their appearance to that as well. So say the deep woods finding a mauled corpse of a hiker that was attacked by wolves, a bloated mutilated corpse in the sewer killed by something or someone, and moss covered infested corpses abandoned in a swamp as a few examples. In low numbers never a big deal but I want time threw a horde at my player and their resilience became an issue quickly.

>> No.77926434

>>77925785
Rec(2007) is the scariest zombie movie ever made.
The sequels are garbage tho

>> No.77926454
File: 194 KB, 600x837, 3002492p6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77926314
I am a Hero.

Read This Book is Full of Spiders if you want to raid a really scathing, meta take on zombie movie nerds and prepper culture in general mixed with Cosmic horror and comedy. It's the second book in a series but the protagonist even goes
>"My name is David Wong, by the way. It’s on the cover. If you don’t know who I am, that’s perfect. That means you didn’t read the previous book in this saga which, to be frank, doesn’t paint me in the best light. No, don’t go read it now. It’s better if we get a fresh start. So, hello, stranger! I’m pleased to have this fresh opportunity to try to convince you I’m not a shithead. Just skip the next paragraph."
There's an entire arc that involves basically /k/ommandos who realize a zombie apocalypse is happening irl and want to get in on it and then what realistically happens.

>>77926368
A really, really cool comic with some fantastic art. You're watching two zombies fight.
One of the most interesting aspects of I Am a Hero as a comic is they didn't get lazy. Just about every zombie/ZQN in the entire series is unique at the very least in appearance if not behavior.
The individuality of who they were before they died plays a part in how they act and how dangerous they are afterward. It makes them terrifying in a really clever way.

The art puts Junji ito to the test a couple of times and he's apparently a fan because the story "She is a slow walker" (his only zombie story) was part of a tribute book to I Am a Hero.

>> No.77926476

>>77926306
Ah, I Am a Hero zombies. You nrver fail to gross me out.

>> No.77926481
File: 270 KB, 784x1200, She is a slow walker.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77926454
>>77926368
If you've ever seen this page it's from "She is a Slow Walker"

>> No.77926531

>>77926454
>>"My name is David Wong, by the way. It’s on the cover. If you don’t know who I am, that’s perfect. That means you didn’t read the previous book in this saga which, to be frank, doesn’t paint me in the best light. No, don’t go read it now. It’s better if we get a fresh start. So, hello, stranger! I’m pleased to have this fresh opportunity to try to convince you I’m not a shithead. Just skip the next paragraph
Wtf is that Deadpool?

>> No.77926633 [DELETED] 
File: 117 KB, 873x505, YithPosting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77926476
That series somehow managed to get at least a solid 10 entries into the greatest zombies of all time list along with Bub from Day of the Dead, FlyBoy from the end of Dawn, Bald Guy/Ripped Face/Cover art zombie from Dawn The worm/cover zombie from Zombi, The cellar Deadite, Tar Man, Dr. Tongue from Day of the Dead, the little girl from Night of the Living Dead, Zombie Johnny from NotLD, Private Mailer from 28 Days Later, The Cemetary zombie from NoTLD, and on and on...

>>77926531
Yeah the writing style is kinda meta and very of that time. If you can stand that the book is decent though. The thing was originally written as a blog though which explains a lot of the style choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PPNd2HqmoA
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PPNd2HqmoAll
or
are largely verbatim from the first book and a much better representation of the writing of them.
The first book was sort of "two losers/stoners/druggies end up running into cosmic horror shit and are pretty much the only people who can stop this".
The second one starts as a side adventure that rapidly spirals out of control and ends up with something that to outsiders like a zombie apocalypse.
Spiders doesn't really reach as high as the highs of John Dies at the End, but it's more consistent overall.

Due to some of the stuff implied but not said and the feeling the first book gave off I almost feel like it's a step somewhere in the middle between Lovecraft and Ligotti imagery wise.

You might no what I'm talking about if you've read the book, they axed that part from the movie. They axed two entire books from the movie to try to fit it.

>> No.77926666

Fucking christ I deleted that John Dies at the ENd post thinking I had it copied so I could fix the video links since I accidentally posted the same clip 3 times. Now I fucked that up and it's gone.

>> No.77926688
File: 117 KB, 873x505, YithPosting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77926476
That series somehow managed to get at least a solid 10 entries into the greatest zombies of all time list along with Bub from Day of the Dead, FlyBoy from the end of Dawn, Bald Guy/Ripped Face/Cover art zombie from Dawn The worm/cover zombie from Zombi, The cellar Deadite, Tar Man, Dr. Tongue from Day of the Dead, the little girl from Night of the Living Dead, Zombie Johnny from NotLD, Private Mailer from 28 Days Later, The Cemetary zombie from NoTLD, and on and on...

>>77926531
Yeah the writing style is kinda meta and very of that time. If you can stand that the book is decent though. The thing was originally written as a blog though which explains a lot of the style choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59rdzSTXs5c
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYvYMaWIsro
or
are largely verbatim from the first book and a much better representation of the writing of them.
The first book was sort of "two losers/stoners/druggies end up running into cosmic horror shit and are pretty much the only people who can stop this".
The second one starts as a side adventure that rapidly spirals out of control and ends up with something that to outsiders like a zombie apocalypse.
Spiders doesn't really reach as high as the highs of John Dies at the End, but it's more consistent overall.

Due to some of the stuff implied but not said and the feeling the first book gave off I almost feel like it's a step somewhere in the middle between Lovecraft and Ligotti imagery wise.

You might no what I'm talking about if you've read the book, they axed that part from the movie. They axed two entire books from the movie to try to fit it.

>> No.77926746

>>77926272
Good stuff indeed.

>> No.77926789

>>77925931

Yeah, a full plague scenario in which your neighbours/family/coworkers can become a bioweapon any minute now is a little... how can I say that? Indelicate in the post-2020 world.

>>77926180

Believe it or not, Nechronica does the "everybody is a zed" pretty well and the system is surprisingly cool, but it's probably not what you're searching for.

>> No.77926922
File: 14 KB, 199x297, 1604941570702.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77925785
I have a horror themed game going, and my zombies are simply corpses animated by a dark but weak magic that is seeping into the world in pockets (side effect of BBEG hobbies). They can only walk (no run or jump, I HATE fast/agile zombies), and are driven by nothing but hate for all living creatures, attacking anything that moves. They can be easily destroyed by damaging the body enough to "disrupt" the nerves the magic is reactivating to control movement. They aren't fast or bright, but a corpse of ANY creature cat-sized or bigger has a chance of rising up after death as long as it is mostly intact and within one of the pockets of negative power (invisible and undetectable, of course). Not a huge threat by ones or twos, but very dangerous in higher numbers, especially if the PCs happen to get surrounded.

Slow but constant threat, like in TWD, but driven by hate instead of hunger, as above.

IMHO, TWD does it right with slow and stupid, but wrong with being driven by hunger.
Also, too many active zombies, they should only last for a few weeks each, *tops*, due to decomp (in my setting, the degradation of nerves: decomp is slowed but not stopped)

>> No.77926985

>>77925785
TQ:
They're slow but inexorable. They'll march steadily onward, slowly carving their way towards you. The peak of this was when I ran an AFMBE session where a bunch of college students had to fight a single zombie that regenerated from damn near anything.
People have seen so many different zombie movies that running zombies will allow you to gauge the expectations of new players. You'll be able to sort your people who want to be Ash Williams from your people who want to survive by the skin of their teeth.
They're fun. Like I said before, people go into a game about zombies with different expectations, and the difference between a game where everyone barricades themselves into a supermarket and one where people raid the police station for body armour and handguns means zombie sessions often end up pretty unique from one another.

>> No.77927077
File: 136 KB, 900x1337, the_hog_by_mscorley_d4ikksv-fullview.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77925785
RE undead and bioweapons are unironically how I'd present them in a more 'traditional' scenario. If it's something more esoteric, than a soul-eating semi-sentient plague in the sense of the Carnacki Ghost-Finder stories works.

>> No.77927851

>>77925785
bumperino

>> No.77927942

>>77926666
Numbers confirm Saran stole anon's post.

>> No.77928056

>>77926385
That's a neat idea in a classical horror way too.
Imagine a setting where the horrible mutilating of human corpses can sometimes cause them to get back up and humanity has to react/adjust to it, like nature itself sees something wrong with it or the spirit can't rest as a result.

Obviously animals eating a dead corpse would be fine though.

>> No.77928142
File: 1.09 MB, 4032x1816, 20210227_182339.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

> peak of this was when I ran an AFMBE session where a bunch of college students had to fight a single zombie that regenerated from damn near anything.
>driven by hate instead of hunger, as above.

Shit like this is why I love this general. You guys are incredibly creative.

People have complained about the disparate settings/systems we talk about but I think that may be a big part of why we are creative.

Also proposition for us to do a list for the sticky like /x/ has for inspiration/fuel, potentially with links or URL's.

>> No.77928197

I think Let's Learn Aklo might be good to run before something like Night Floors to teach players you can't always save/solve the situation and sometimes you are best off bailing early.

This way they get the idea without too much risk

>> No.77928362
File: 1.79 MB, 425x319, welcome to morrowind.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77928142
I am >>77926922
I would love to see a sticky or two with ideas and such. I am always reading threads for ideas and new takes and alternative ways to do things.

>> No.77928688

>>77928362
I saw a guy on reddit who thought of doing a Western Marches Delta Green game.

>> No.77928886
File: 581 KB, 640x640, sp0whn69g6g01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Heading to bed. Keep shit undead

>> No.77929191
File: 380 KB, 480x480, bumpy bump.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77925785
c'mon fa/tg/uys, I'm curious what you have in your games

>> No.77930135

>>77929191
With the NA release of Gnosia, I'm basically going to be mining it for ideas and trying to analyze the lore for a good while I think. Will post what I find out here later probably.

>> No.77930530
File: 136 KB, 640x400, 36-Creatures_-_Mainliner_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.77930696

>>77925785
I've always agreed that they make a great environmental hazard, provide danger and pressure to foment other troubles.

>> No.77931406

>>77925931
I feel you, zombie fatigue setting in hard after their over-saturation.

>> No.77931902

>>77925785
I've been slowly converting D&D Devils to AFMBE (including Dretches, people turned into melty flesh zombies). I kind of feel like the religious/spiritual type of zombies has fallen by the wayside replaced by a million different viral infections.

>> No.77932846
File: 988 KB, 4272x2848, 533pxz97lus51.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.77933572

bumpalicious

>> No.77933600

Does anyone else here play AFMBE regularly?

>> No.77933704
File: 157 KB, 943x535, 8d100205646895b2cf6c09a848304eab.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77925785
>TQ
Rather than run of the mill zombies the way you'd raise an actual corpse is to possess it with your will to allow it to animate. It's harder to do with things that were once alive because the remnants of their soul and will lingers even after death. That said, if this is done willingly then the process is easier and the body retains some of the ability they had in life but also some of the personality as well so they won't do anything they would otherwise object to or do it in such a way to ensure failure.

Another way is the voodoo zombie method where you fuck someone's mind and soul with drugs until you can completely control their minds and will. They are less affective on the whole but make for decent laborers. You still have to deal with the shades you've made from irreparably damaging their souls in the process

>> No.77933804

>>77925785
have an idea for an 'adventure' in my Symbaroum round including zombies, although I don't know yet when to implement it as we are just at the beginning of the sandbox.
There would basically be a larger patch of swamp which used to house a witch or sorcerer. They are long gone, but their magic still lingers in the area. Zombies would be one of the old, still active defense mechanisms, alongside things like will-o'-wisps. They would be hidden in the water and activated by coming to close to them, trying to drown the PCs or just claw/bite/whatever them. Coming close to the hut at the center activates them all, but there's also a way there to destroy all the magic at ones.
So, magically animated, extremly rotten corpses, not dangerous individually but as a group. The whole thing is supposed to tie into some magic user trying to find the secret of true reanimation to bring back a dead loved one, but I'm still fuzzy on the details of the arc.

>> No.77934137

>>77933600
I wish. That was the first game book I ever read cover to cover as a little 12-14 year old but I never got to run a game. I wish I could read gameboojs that way now, lugging it with me and reading and rereading it constantly.

I think I've only done that with one book recently and that's a 60 page OSR book.

>> No.77934154

>>77934137
>>77933600
I even bought the gamemaster screen and tried to run coffee break of the living dead at scout camp but when we sat down to play nobody really wanted to be there except one kid and I never ended up running it.

>> No.77934207

The fear of the voodoo Zombi is not the fear of an undead thing, it is the fear that being a slave might not even end with death.

https://youtu.be/d_z3KkZWE5k

>> No.77934829

>>77931406
It's funny how prevalent they've been in the majority of settings.

>> No.77934895
File: 40 KB, 512x288, when me and the boyz see a guy with no brain-worm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77934207
>The fear of the voodoo Zombi is not the fear of an undead thing, it is the fear that being a slave might not even end with death.

this is why i like mild body horror being sprinkled in (not just meaning twisted limbs here--), having the victim be possesed to some extent is more scary to the players after weeks of killing them without a thought.

or such as System Shock 2, with the Pipe Hybrid still able to cry out in pain and fear - unable to stop its attacks.

>> No.77935268

bamp

>> No.77935468

>>77934829
They're an easy enemy to throw at players and a neat concept, a very core concept of the dead returning.

It's part of why even though I love zombies and it's built into the cleric class, I'm planning to limit the number of undead enemies I use any time I run an OSR campaign or replace them in modules with automatons, moving statues or golems with the same stats.
That way when I run the lichway it will be a bigger deal.

>> No.77935719

>>77928056
I should mention I have these different than standard undead raised by necromancy. Since in this case it's the original spirit trapped in a decaying shell which are abandoned by the god of death, while necromancy based undead are basically created by necromancers using magic to created failed beings basically implanting a pseudo soul into an empty shell. An odd dynamic that came about with me having the god of death be a patron of necromancy as well, he occasionally will take these failed beings and give them a full soul for reasons only he knows and the beings in question either figure out or go mad trying to figure out why they are now unnatural beings given sentience.

>> No.77935847

>>77934895
>or such as System Shock 2, with the Pipe Hybrid still able to cry out in pain and fear - unable to stop its attacks.
The Many in general are a disturbing concept and a good idea for a horror enemy.

>> No.77936821
File: 37 KB, 448x336, 1346083599341.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

bumptasticalness

>> No.77936843

Sorry guys I've been at work

>> No.77937000
File: 79 KB, 1000x750, zombie-caterpillar1[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>Zombie apocalypse happens
>Every single formerly living organism right down to invertebrate is re-animated and infectious
What do?

>> No.77937085

>>77937000
We die in record time. That's basically our entire biosphere rising up against us.

It's an interesting scenario to be sure, one I don't think anyone has ever used before. But it's basically unavoidable doom.

>> No.77937116

>>77937085
>one I don't think anyone has ever used before
RE technically does but it's never really expanded on and doesn't lead to an apocalypse because they nuked the largest outbreak.

>> No.77937334

>>77937116
Does RE have zombies insects? Like, actual zombie bug swarms not giant mutant crawlies a grandpa with a shotgun can dispatch.

>> No.77937372

>>77937334
>bug swarms
Yes. They're literally an enemy in RE1

>> No.77937401

>>77937334
The virus tends to make them bigger but there are bug swarms and such along with the giant spiders.

>> No.77937452

>>77937116
RE always comes extremely close to that, but it never fully occurs. Closest you'll get in the games is with 6, and that mostly gets sunk when HAOS is destroyed.

There's also the live-action movies but those are terrible and are Resident Evil in name only.

>>77937334
Yes. It also has insect hybrids with other creatures, like snakes or people.

>> No.77937455

Could I have an Agent in DG be a Yithian agent, with goals independent of the rest of the group, and the appropriate stat block DG gives to Yithian agents? Could it work with a really good roleplayer, or would it just bee too disruptive for the overall game? Because it'd be neat to have a player who essentially has a 75% in every skill, but they have their own agenda with may help or hinder the goals of the party, and have to try their best at passing as a human.

Or is this just something better left in the hands of a NPC?

>> No.77937546

>>77937452
The RE universe is really grimdark as fuck after a point, literally terrorists with apocalypse causing bioweapons running around and zombie outbreaks can just happen at random.

>> No.77937894
File: 308 KB, 517x467, nice anime face.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77926306
>throw The Crossed at them instead. They'll be fucked super fast.

>> No.77938125
File: 1.52 MB, 230x190, 1585976677639.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77926306
>The Crossed

i hate how right this is

>> No.77938150
File: 269 KB, 234x249, 1546010013099.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77926306
>Reminder to up the fear of your zombies by randomly rolling up some of them tool use, the ability to climb ladders/stairs/doors or create long-term plans.

>this

>> No.77938154

>>77937455
Better with an NPC but possibly.
The thing with Yithian agents is that they are not that good at blending in if you are looking for them albeit one in dg would probably be pretty good at it.
They would have to be a REALLY good roleplayer to pull it off. They don't really adapt to the personality of the one they pretend to be (like ghouls can). An experienced DG agent has been able to spot a yithian in a human mind on sight due to their posture and the way they hold their faces. It's also possible if the org let in a Yithian as a DG agent they can clearly tell and are planning a counterplay, watching it carefully to use as a hostage or to interrogate if it comes down to it.
Yithians don't have as much of a history of punking DG as you'd think because their "superior intellect" often ends with them underestimating human cunning or resourcefulness. (There's a story where an agent takes one out by dropping him in a pool since they're not used to swimming and holds him down. The yithian was expecting a gunshot or a weapon which is why it worked.

>> No.77938194

>>77938125
The Crossed are anti-Zombies that's why it's so right.
Treating them like zombies is exactly what gets you killed.

>> No.77938210
File: 82 KB, 495x489, 1587050714128.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77937000
>>77937085
>Zombie bacteria

>> No.77938408

>>77925922
I read a bunch of books from other systems and now I'm upset that I'll probably never get to play said systems. (or even figure out how to play them in case of gumshoe)

>> No.77939124

>>77926454
Are you me? The JDATE series and I Am A Hero are probably two of my favorite pieces of horror. I'm really stoked that Pargin is writing a fourth -- His 'Zoey Saves the World' stuff isn't bad, but cosmic horror/dark comedy is what I think he's best at, it's at least what I prefer I guess.

>> No.77940400

>>77925922
Any recommendations?

>> No.77940641
File: 824 KB, 1400x700, Dawn-of-the-Dead-2004-Zombie-Horde.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77926306
I don't need edgelord shlock to have frightening zombies.

>> No.77940666

>>77925785
>>77940641
Also, I'm running a game with sprinters in it. Day of the Dead's one of my favorite horror movies ever made but I'm a sucker for fast, rabid zombies instead of slow shamblers.

>> No.77940704

>>77933600
I'm running a game for it soon. It can be tough getting a group together.

>> No.77940988

>>77938210
This reminds me that in the Evil Dead comics, Deadites could take over bacteria as possible hosts.

>> No.77941097

>>77938408
Tl;dr Gumshoe combat is a d6 + or - for damage based on weapon. highest combat skill goes first.

Gumshoe skills are if you have the skill and go looking, you find the clue without a roll. You use point spends to get additional clues but you don't get them back until a rest. That's about it.
Scuffling is melee
Shooting is shooting
Abberance is magic points

You can burn points of combat/active skills to guarantee a hit, but if you do that all of the time you get screwed deeper into the investigation.
So several fights in GUMSHOE is a bigger deal than ONE big enemy because of this.

I haven't checked any of this against a book.

>>77940400
Book of Unremitting Horror and its cover guy is our unofficial mascot, for good reason too.
Fear Itself/Trail of Cthulhu's Invasive Procedures for Hellraiser/Silent Hill esq shit and drop-dead nasty and uncomfortable body horror. I actually can't see myself running it straight, it's too much but I've raided a ton of scenes from it.
Stalker the Scifi RPG runs really well, but its anomaly, mutant and artifact tables are great for any dimensional fuckery.

KULT's lore, art and Monsters.

I've heard a lot of praise for Silent Legion' tables
MothershipRPG's modules Dead Planet and Pound of Flesh have tables that make them worth stealing. A derelict ship layout generator? YES PLEASE!
Realms of the Crawling Chaos needs to be read if you want to run anything Lovecraft related in a medieval setting.

Unseen Masters 4 CoC
Icons of the Scourge
A Wizard by DonnyC
Delta Green we talk about a lot but you can steal its fleshed out interpretations of Mythos monsters for any Lovecraft setting. Its migo are brilliant.
The historical info for a city/country setting book for one game can often be used for another.

Avoid the Cthulhu Alphabet. It has like 3-5 good ideas per table at most.
Ravenloft is a classic and I wish more adventures had its random generation.

Any articles in a mag like Arkham Gazette or the unspeakable oath 4 u

>> No.77941626

>>77940704
What deadworld? Norms or Survivors?

>> No.77941796

I want to do a modern zombie game, but have the cause be a mystery to be discovered
I need clues that could signal to each character that what they think is right, but still leaving it open enough for some discussion and wiggle room
For example, one of the characters will think not-Umbrella released a zombie bio-weapon,
while another character thinks it's caused by magic,
and a third thinks it's from space, caused by meteors or something
What do you think?

>> No.77941837
File: 210 KB, 837x1076, 71-T0mvdoCL[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77941097
>Book of Unremitting Horror
Seconding this. I think it's perhaps they only horror RPG gamebook, along with certain ones Wraith: The Oblivion, that has actually managed to creep me out a bit.
The art is pretty great too, Dave Allsop is great at his craft (if only he was a better businessman...)

>> No.77942050
File: 21 KB, 400x225, 1526262393893.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77925785
I'M TRYING TO FIND A PDF WHERE AN ANON LAID OUT A LOVECRAFTIAN SPACE OPERA
IT HAD A GOD OF SERIAL KILLERS, THE LAST SANE MAN ON EARTH COMMANDEERED A OBSERVATORY AND WAS TELLING EVERYONE IN SPACE WHAT WAS GOING ON HERE (THE CRAZY PEOPLE SEE SANE PEOPLE AS MAD PROPHETS), AND THE MOON WAS USED TO BLOCK CTHULTHU'S PSYCHIC INFLUENCE BUT THE MOONBASES WERE ABANDONED/OVERRUN

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT?

>>77926180
>Still thinking about an element that prevents the people from turning into mindless zombies. The wealthy and powerful have lots of it, so they can even disguise their undead appearances and look alive. The larger population get scraps of it enough so they don't go full zombie.
The player characters somehow would provide lots of this through their adventures.
What about a holy incense? Then nobles can throw parties where they use lots of it and commoners use it communally in bars

>Don't know how an economy would look like in a society where people don't need to eat. What would they "live" for assuming their state of undeath has already been mostly accepted and normalized.
Food's mostly obviated in our economy- you can buy a kilo of oatmeal for under two bucks. You can actually eat fairly well for cents on the day if you google "poverty foods".
Rent, hobbies/art, zombie cure, something to help maintain their bodies, unnecessary ingestibles like alcohol or morphine, lighting (candles were expensive), keeping up with the Joneses/something seem as expensive but necessary like a car or a living horse...

Old timey London had this thing where poor upper class felt poorer and more trapped than well-off lower class- they were stuck in a position where they were poor but they were obligated to maintain nice clothes and house servants.

Really the big problem in an undead economy would be unregulated capitalism and human rights abuses- if you don't need to sleep and there's still work to be done then why would the bossman let you go home?

>> No.77942304

>>77942050
>Rent, hobbies/art, zombie cure, something to help maintain their bodies, unnecessary ingestibles like alcohol or morphine, lighting (candles were expensive), keeping up with the Joneses/something seem as expensive but necessary like a car or a living horse...
Also I just remembered: salt and formaldehyde. Preservatives.

>> No.77942898
File: 9 KB, 300x192, Phantom-Birds-300x192.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77941837
By the way they did a d20 version and a GUMSHOE version. The GUMSHOE version is newer and has more detail. I've actually never read the D20 version. Iirc it was intended as an extension of OGL Horror, a D20 horror supplement that basically inspired Book.

> Dave Allsop is great at his craft (if only he was a better businessman...)
Remember that follow-up we clearly never got to Book of Unremitting Horror, Book of Unremitting Horror: The Ocean Game?
The one we got like two snippets and pieces of art from?
haaaaahhhh

Yeah I doubt that's ever coming out.
Literally all we have are >>77925922
and this art and a statblock for "Phantom Birds". The picture above from the Mystery Man I had to pry from the clutches of a search engine since if a page for it ever existed it's been taken down.

It's probably that Pelgrane and Allsop had disagreements but I like to think it was too fucked up even for them.

>> No.77942981
File: 177 KB, 1737x892, OCEAN_GAME P1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77942898
For more on this here's the most we've got

>> No.77944090

>>77941796
You need to decide what the true cause is first, and then you can come up with red herrings to point in the direction of the false causes.

>> No.77944535

>>77944090
Players come up with their own red herrings

>> No.77944874 [DELETED] 

What are some non-horror settings that can do horror unexpectedly well?

>> No.77944910
File: 145 KB, 600x900, Zombie-Stormtrooper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

What are some horror settings that can do horror unexpectedly well?

>> No.77945947
File: 742 KB, 900x506, The-Eternal-Cylinder-06-14-2020.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77941837
>>77942898
One day, Ocean Game will be released. I want to believe.

>>77944910
The Eternal Cylinder is probably one of the best depictions of cosmic horror I've ever seen.

>> No.77947252
File: 3.00 MB, 750x500, tarman.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.77947552

>>77947252
I feel really bad for those zombies especially.

>> No.77947780
File: 652 KB, 1154x1600, defoe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.77948269

>>77947552
Being in the barrels probably isn't a lot of fun, but look at that dude. He's dead and loving it.

>> No.77949468
File: 22 KB, 620x330, images (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.77951041

Don't let the thread die while I'm asleep this time boys.

>> No.77951466

>>77951041
I won't

>> No.77951557

>>77938210
Remove the... No. Hmm. Destroy the...? Nope, not got that either...

>> No.77951573

>>77948269
Being consciously aware of your own rotting body is a whole other level of fucked.
>>77949468
>the Mold of Disapproval frowns at your life choices

>> No.77952904

I might run this but sharing it if I don't.

50's CoC scenario:
There is a Contingency broadcast system the government has created in case of occupation by the soviet union or other country or force.
Several versions of this have been created in case of various scenarios such as death of the president, a coup, hostile invasion or nuclear destruction.
These would be broadcast across all radio and TV stations via CONELRAD. The broadcast explains the situation as well as advocates immediate suicide and the execution of all family members.
"Even in Defeat we refused to yield."
If played anywhere, even by accident this causes chaos, panic and deaths among any population who recieves it.
Broadcast nationwide it could remove 40% or more of the American population.

The Tick-Tock-Man once formed plans to hijack this system with clear intent.

>> No.77953867

>>77941626
Norms. Heavily modified Coffee Break scenario with fast zombs.

>> No.77954026

>>77951557
Crush the nucleus?

>> No.77954867

Sanity Loss for witnessing/Experiencing an atomic blast?

1d100+2?
3d20?
2d20?

>> No.77954917

>>77954867
1d10/2d20

>> No.77954937

>>77952904
Local 58?

>> No.77955207

My idea submission for the day:

Have the players start off in a relatively standard fantasy setting based on Lovecrafts Dreamworld, investigating a local apocalypse cult trying to scour entire cities off of the map. Have the twist be that, in a couple of sessions when they eventually find and murder the cult leader, the players find that they're trying to use the "calling formula" from one of the unrecovered Red Cross Pocket Bibles that the Nazis/Karotechia created as a last ditch effort to destroy the world in the event of them losing the war.

Have them start off in something dark and gritty like Mork Borg and then as they transition into investigating something entire alien to them in our world, transition them into DG/CoC.

>> No.77955264

>>77953867
Kino. Wait, it's supposed to be zombie horror so... Schlock?

>> No.77955448

I wish there were some way to adapt Thomas Ligotti for games (RPG or CRPG), but I can’t imagine how. I mean, what’s the mechanic? Flip a coin: if it’s heads reality glitches around you and you realise all existence is an obscene nightmare before having it proved to you in the most unbearable manner possible; if it’s tails turn the coin over.

>> No.77955488

AFMBE has some good bones. Ran a oneshot for a couple friends who made themselves as self-inserts and had to escape their fictional shared apartment they were holed up in for about two weeks as a classical zombie apocalypse was going on outside. Had a couple good setpieces on their way down, a chance to risk a tussle with some zombies to get ahold of a dead guy's baretta M9 handgun, a chance to recruit an NPC companion and one bit where one of the players tossed a zombie down and double foot full goomba stomped on its head to crush it. Final confrontation was with a bit survivor with a shotgun trying to steal their car, but the player with the pistol got extremely lucky and killed him in one shot.

Was a very positive experience and we had a lot of fun with it, I could see it being a good system for a more extended campaign. My biggest criticism is that it is way more granular than it really needs to be on the skill front, but that isn't really that big a deal.

>> No.77955662

>>77955488
It's telling that the Cinematic version of the rules has like... Ten skills total. I quite like the granular skills as it means a career is a reasonable investment and two people with the same job can be different. Also, there's a better chance any given character has that one skill nobody else does.

>> No.77955998

>>77955448
I've written something over for lore stuff and a way to squeeze his into the cosmos of Call of Cthulhu or the Outer Black mythos.

>> No.77957236

Question for Delta Green handlers/players with experience with Future Perfect pt1.
How was pacing handled?
And how was the experience as a whole?
Did anyone get trapped in the past?

>> No.77957853
File: 83 KB, 891x591, 4Jif3cp[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Probably gonna get called a tranny but I like the Spiritworld/Shadow from Werewolf the Forsaken in its depiction of a genuinely alien and horrifying elemental spirit plane. Very Silent Hill-esque.

>> No.77957889

>>77957853
>Probably gonna get called a tranny
Welcome to 4channel

>> No.77957923

>>77957889
It's not just a 4chan thing, /tg/ has developed a specific hateboner for most WoD-related things lately.

>> No.77958005

>>77957853
>>77957923
In fairness, the majority of that is caused why magefag shitstarting which makes a lot of people easily enraged.

>> No.77958049

>>77957853
I do too. WoD for all of the shit that it gets has so, so many cool concepts I should have put some books from it on the "recommended for fuel" stuff except I haven't read much of it except a chunk from Midnight Circus.

>>77957236
You the same anon from last thread? How are you liking it now that you've had a read-through?

>> No.77958180

>>77955448
>>77955998
If you want more on this ask me and I'll post it. I don't do it now because I need to cut it up to fit into multiple 4chan posts and edit it every single time I post it.

I talked about it last thread but the best way to introduce it is hide it under something else and let it seep in slowly.
Let it be deniable.
let it have a different texture than the main attraction
Let it slip in, in ways that you purposefully don't draw attention to
Remember that if it gives them too much attention they're probably already unable to be saved
When it does finally rear its head, let them stumble into a force like that consuming someone or something else... and don't let them save them.
If they can do anything to reduce their losses, that's fine but stopping it at this point is impossible
and then like water on a sidewalk it fades from view so when they try to tell anyone they have no proof
And the more they try to call it out the more they doom themselves.
Immortality is a trap.
A player who's been watched by something may die but instead of dying, they find themselves in a room with something they can talk to, something that normally migth be antagonistic... and if they ask the right questions they'll get the answer
and it will be proved to you that all existence is an obscene nightmare and the worst imaginable force is in every grain of everything
Otherwise let them walk alone ignorant, having no feeling of victory, at most a feeling of escape.

>> No.77958200
File: 234 KB, 670x886, 300316f919cdac436635cfa70ad0b91895c4e6a4bca8a7394490e251c1f65f57[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77958049
>WoD for all of the shit that it gets has so, so many cool concepts
People just conflate WoD as a whole with the worst parts of VtM and old Werewolf.
Wraith the Oblivion -for example- is an entire gameline made of must-read horror gems. Especially if you're aiming for atmospheric and existential dread.

>> No.77958882

>>77958049
>You the same anon from last thread? How are you liking it now that you've had a read-through?
Yeah that's me, if you're the anon that recommended it I have to give a big thanks, feel like the setting and situation offer up a lot of openings to my players and know that the killer reveal will floor them.
My only real issue is with if they'll check out Potter's home then immediately head to the plant and bruteforce their way into the culvert without getting the cube translated

>> No.77959021

Does anybody have experience with Horror on the Orient Express or Mask of Nyarlathotep? I'm curious as to more long-form Call of Cthulhu games but I'll admit the supposed framework of travelling around the world to beat the big monster and save the day feels more Indiana Jones than Lovecraft. Are my worries misplaced?

>> No.77959194

>>77959021
Can't speak for Masks but Orient Express I feel does a really good job of escalating the horror in a natural way, as long as the gm ensures a consistant tone is managed.

>> No.77959199

>>77959021
No, that's been a common thread for a while now about those adventures for Lovecraft you have stuff like Beyond the Mountains of Madness.
Masks especially is very indianna jones-y but remember that you're still as weak as COC characters. CoC's statted Indiana equivalent PC has 9HP.

They're still gonna be fun and very fucked up though.

>> No.77959211

>>77959021
Masks definitely has a decidedly pulpy, almost tongue in cheek tone to it at times. It's sort of like the Tomb of Horrors of CoC supplements: it was written for experienced referees and players who were familiar with the mythos and had already 'seen it all' - a challenging test of player knowledge and skill.

>> No.77959222

>>77958882
>nd know that the killer reveal will floor them.
I haven't run it but I remember reading through it and that's the big takeaway and why I recc'd it to you. I'll flip it through. I've run a single DG session and played in like six so I have some more ground.

Anything you can tell me about your players? Are they stupider than average? Less stupid? Have you been making them cover their tracks i.e. pulling bullets out of holes in the wall they shot so they can't be traced back to them? Keeping their stories straight?

>> No.77959280

>>77959211
Why is a tomb of horrors variant considered one of the greatest campaigns of all time?

>> No.77959655
File: 481 KB, 141x141, 1465862296816.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77959222
Ah well big thanks anon, really warmed up to it up since reading your post.

Funny thing is that session of Last things Last was my first DG game as well, though I've run plenty of CoC.

My players as a whole play for laughs so aren't the smartest, but feel like the Marlene reveal and aftermath really humbled them going forward. Regarding covering up I've stressed the use of gloves, avoiding cameras etc but suppose this would be their first scenario interacting with people that aren't their handler/a monster so feel the smaller scale might do wonders.
I'm personally excited to play up the Deputy's meddling nature to see what their response is.

>> No.77959726
File: 775 KB, 800x1045, dbnjj62-155eeed7-79c6-4eba-a3ef-34b340331a83.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77925785
I'm working on a setting full of mutated and twisted creatures, some domesticated species, some wild, and I need some inspiration, does anyone have any recommendations for where can I find it? I want them to look at least somewhat like natural creatures, not going too far into "body horror".

>> No.77959789

>>77959655
>>77959222
Honestly for much of the 'cover your tracks after a gunfight stuff' I just let my players roll forensics to see how well they handle it. I'm not an expert in covering up crimes and, unless they're really, really good at it, neither are my players. Anything I could chase them up on would just feel like an asspull. Stuff like gloves, cameras and other cover-your-tracks shit is fair game though.

>> No.77959925

>>77959789
There's a LOT of that shit in the player's guide/Agent's handbook as for what you can/need to do in regards to that.

Also keep them in contact with their handler or have him punish them if they don't because if he doesn't know where they are or are going and shit goes tits up? The org gets mad

>> No.77960699
File: 27 KB, 481x638, dawg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77959726
Stuff like pic, or real world creatures that are freaky by themselves?

>> No.77960750

Is there are there any resources regarding what DG agents should do in the field? It occurred to me while I was prepping a game that I wouldn't have considered hitting up the local library for newspaper articles when playing as a federal agent doing CSI bullshit. I'd like something I could throw at my players rather than just tell them outright to do X or investigate Y.

>> No.77961353
File: 664 KB, 648x746, Innsmouth Rules.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77960750
Innsmouth Rules from Fall of Delta Green is pretty good for succinctly describing the protocols and mindset an Agent should have.

>> No.77961932

>>77960699
The former, but the latter would be cool as well, if not nearly as helpful.

>> No.77962111
File: 550 KB, 1920x1080, eternal-cylinder-screenshot-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77959726
Take your pick of literally anything from the Eternal Cylinder. The devs intentionally went out of their way for a surrealist body horror vibe and it shows.

>> No.77962116

>>77961353
This. Every Delta green game I've ran or played in has had me saying some variation of these. You can find an expanded version in the DG resources, but some of those only matter if you aren't program.

>> No.77962131

>>77962111
Is it out yet?

>> No.77962155

>>77962131
It's in beta. You MIGHT still be able to get a key at this point in time.

>> No.77962208

>>77962155
Regardless of what ACE Team Does, it's always going to be gorgeous. Every single game they've made from Zenoclash onwards has been beautiful.

>> No.77962285

>>77962116
Yep. The Outlaws have their own subrules, but no matter where the rules can be simplified as
>Lie, except to us
>Don't go alone
>Don't fuck around
>Don't get caught
>If you do, don't expect us to bail you out

>> No.77962942
File: 51 KB, 750x375, the bees make honey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77961932
>>77959726
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Mg0bvyIEHcs
The movie Annihilation has some good stuff for you, and would be worth checking out. You could read the rest of the Southern Reach Trilogy if you want to better explore the concepts of the film.

>> No.77963274
File: 284 KB, 640x512, d67da6745044c49dd743fa49e6f18d16.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77962942
The books lacks more of the mutating horror and is more about an incredibly subtle masquerade. The great thing about the movie is it doesn't spoil the book and vice-versa.

IIRC the only thing Vandermeer was upset about was them stripping out the environmental message.
It might be hard as a setting to do in long-term as a RPG setting but you could certainly do a solid one shot of it. I've thought at length about how one could do that when I considered turning the Russian zone from Stalker the Scifi RPG into Area X + The zone from the Stalker film.
It included a LOT of rules and subterfuge on the part of the Russian Institute

1. Prop needs to not be capable of emitting radio frequencies or digitally capturing light or images, or otherwise digital transmission or capturing of data. This may betray __ __ __ __ . __ __ . __ __ ___ __ . Furthermore, it is likely to cause __ _ __ ___.

2. Prop must have begun production before 1989. This is a safety precaution to prevent __ __ __ __ __ __.

3. Nearest approximate replica will be replaced whenever possible, be it a different make, model, but be able to fit the same role.

4. Caseless weaponry will not be allowed.

5. Organic Material, food and water is largely absent from the above requirements.

6. Complex digitally primed or timed explosives or weapons, or rangefinders are not allowed.

Expedition 4CA-12
Expedition Objectives
PRIMARY - To conduct reconnaissance and recover any personnel of prior expedition 4CA-11, or any information gathered by the prior expedition.
Obey the commands of the expedition leader.

Secondary Objectives:
-Recover Samples of flora, fauna and anomalous materials to assist with further research.
-Provide Analysis of Zone Phenomena across the border.
-Reach the Lighthouse encampment along the eastern coastline.
-Return Across the border.

It also included separate objectives for the "team leader".

>> No.77963295

>>77963274
>>77962942
Also to counterplay against the "Psychologist" type there is a "ghostbird" type who is randomly resistant, usually the one who makes the most sense.

>> No.77963329

>>77961353
In my experience, Rule #5 is easily the hardest to pull off as DG tends to have relatively small team sizes.

>> No.77963370

>>77958882
As for the spoiler question, not too much aside from the fear and need to find more information first. You could also have the Handler recc that course of action to them.

Having different handlers for ops that require it with different styles is a very good idea.

>> No.77963398

>>77963329
I think it's fine. My games usually average 4 players, so that's enough for two teams of two.

>> No.77963538

there's a lot of layers and intersecting metaphysics of the setting to create zombies in my setting, but keeping it short certain religious heretics found that they can take splinters of a specific magical wood and inscribe words on it in the language of creation that "this flesh can move", the universe understands that to be true and so they can stick these splinters into the flesh of corpses and bring them to life.
Another splinter would have command words inscribed on it and inserted into the forehead, allowing them to be compelled to do things. essentially magical corpse slaves

>> No.77964695

>>77963538
>specific magical wood
Is it remotely close to an IRL word? Also, can these commands keep the flesh fresher for longer?

>> No.77965071

>>77964695
calling it wood is kind of an approximation, ages ago in the past an extra-dimensional entity birthed itself into the world temporarily, its presence altered reality and sprouted enormous grey "trees" where it passed by. the substance is more like a hard flaky graphite. anyway it being tied to a cosmic entity is what gives it magical properties, and the language needs material like that to function.

>Also, can these commands keep the flesh fresher for longer
theoretically yes but the actual language is mostly unknown only fragments of sentences, and even then only a select few know about it existing at all. if someone with the knowledge to say that "this flesh does not rot" then it would be so, but practically that isn't the case. but, the society these people inhabit is very heavily centered around genetic modification, and so the corpses are pumped full of stimulants and embalming fluids that they're kept "fresh" for a fairly long time

>> No.77965117
File: 65 KB, 977x700, thisistheend.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77938210
>zombie gut flora

>> No.77965734

Do you guys have a website or something where you can share art with your groups? Something like MEGA but without the upload limit and where everyone in the group can upload to it as well.

>> No.77965813

>>77965734
I'm not sure on its upload limits but you should look at OneNote

>> No.77966088

>>77965813
I looked at it and it could work, the problem is that I have like 4GB of pictures and I don't see an option to dump it all. I'd have to choose each picture individually which could take a long time.

>> No.77966187

>>77954937
The inspiration yeah but it's not unlikely this thing existed given that it's not as bad as some of the real shit done during the atomic era/cold war.

>> No.77966204

>>77965734
I use discord. Even group chats can share shit

>> No.77966210

>>77966088
only other thing i can think of is like googledrive or onedrive

>> No.77967727
File: 25 KB, 600x200, images (26).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.77968467

>>77966204
Yeah, discord works for me. I made a text channel only I could post in and I put images in that while my players and I are in voice.

>> No.77968699

>>77966088
I guarantee you your players don't want to be swamped with that many images.

>> No.77969714

>>77966187
>not as bad as some of the real shit done during the atomic era/cold war.
What kind of shit are we talking about here?

>> No.77969752

>>77955264
Assent.

>> No.77971111

So the classic zombie fighting weapons are the baseball bat, the chainsaw, the shotgun, the revolver, and the up-armoured car.
What are other classic hunter sets?

>> No.77971160

>>77971111
Werewolf: torch, revolver, bolt action rifle, silver bullets
Vampire: torch, holy water, stakes, crucifix
Demons: Bible, crucifix, holy water

>> No.77971886

>>77963274
I very much like the idea of a team's leader having secret or ulterior motives they can't tell the rest of their team about, I think it would be excellent fodder for sowing paranoia and distrust among players in a horror game and enhance the atmosphere.

Might fuck around with the concept for my next Delta Green op.

Speaking of, anyone have good recommendations for DG premades that involve a decent amount of combat? I am not looking for a bug hunt, more like conflicts with armed humans. Gunfights in DG are so fucking tense with how easy it is to die and really get player creativity rolling as far as creative solutions, very fun to run

>> No.77972378
File: 161 KB, 220x124, tenor[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77937000
Undead insect swarms would only be a threat if you assume the standard zombie gait/shambling doesn't apply to them.
Otherwise you just have slow moving 'cloud' of unfocused bugs lazily floating around and stumbling over eachother.

>> No.77972566
File: 925 KB, 300x214, Barefoot gen.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77971886
I'll give you more if you'd like. I wrote up a ton on this.
The psychologist character would have a set of hypnotic phrases they could use to intonate stripped from the novel with a couple of extra ones like to vomit or become sick. I was going to have time skips
Basically you want to give the leader reason to fear mutiny or subversion from everyone.
Shame I never got to run it.

The leader also gets vastly different and sometimes conflicting info from the team.

>>77969714
Look up the Documentary "Atomic Soldiers" and the concept of "atomic veterans". It's been said that more soldiers were exposed to massive amounts of radiation during "above ground tests" than were exposed during the bombings of both japanese cities. The US military seriously considered trying to attack and occupy an area that had been destroyed by a nuclear blast. Not even the CIV games pretended that was feasible yet they clung onto this idea and did far, far too many tests before it was proven to be not worth it.

It wasn't until Chernobyl that most of the population really "understood" the damaging effects of radiation and most informational films on the subject deliberately downplayed how bad radiation was or implied after a nuclear attack you could just wait and go back out.
The majority of stuff on Nuclear test films was about calming people down from something that we at the time
Fallout shelters would more often bake you alive or leave you to suffocate against bombs less powerful.

Or the time we had a minor international scandal when a japanese fishing vessel ventured too close to an atomic testing site and unknown to them, had an entire catch of irradiated fish which were then sold in Japan and caused mass disposal of fish from anything close to that as they couldn't track them down.
We accidentally poisoned an entire population we were occupying.

A contingency of voluntary suicide, they hope never to use,in case of occupation by a foreign power is nowhere near as bad.

>> No.77972610

>>77972378
>No nesting, following sugar smells, hiding from heat or cold
Every open space would just be carpets/clouds of bity bastards.

>> No.77972673
File: 66 KB, 570x878, 10-fukushima.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77972566
>>77957236
Shit like this is why I was hesitant to dose my players with radiation in Future Perfect unless I'm planning to run the whole thing as a campaign.

It cannot be overstated how big a deal a large dose of radiation is.
Lower doses you can survive, and in most cases you get more in the sun to begin with.
A higher dose can knock your DNA out of whack.
Radiation is basically a fuckton of ions getting shot off in all directions like a shotgun and if any of them hits your DNA strands at the wrong angle you can end up with cancer.

There's a really interesting scenario that I doubt I'll never run. It's the first scenario in Great old Ones. It involves Players going up against a Cthonian buried deep in a mine.
if they seek help from the native americans who dealt with Cthonians in the past they can be given a stone shaped like an elder sign the size of a pot which they have to wear mittens or it will burn them upon touch?

Why?
It was given to the natives by Elder Things and is highly radioactive, which is why it destroys the Cthonian eggs and why the Cthonian is actively scared of it.

This is set in the 1920s before Radiation was known or understood.

Jesus fuck.

>> No.77972735 [DELETED] 

>>77972673
And to add to this: Radiation really is a silent killer.

You should never tell them they "gained +3 radiation" like in Fallout.
Let them figure that out on their own because once it's happened unless they have a geiger counter on them there's no way to know how its affected them.
By the time they've developed symptoms of sickness and notice it's probably too late to stop it and all you can do is get out of there.
Mutations and cancer will come in time.

Roll for them on this. There's really no other way to do Radiation right in a way that understands what is inherently terrifying about radiation.
The best you can do for hints are a "whiff of ozone" or something like burnt hair or cardboard if you are really nice, or if one of them says they scratch their nuts, they notice one of them is bigger.

>> No.77972759
File: 48 KB, 636x382, Radioactive_Boyscout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

And to add to this: Radiation really is a silent killer.

You should never tell them they "gained +3 radiation" like in Fallout.
Let them figure that out on their own because once it's happened unless they have a geiger counter on them there's no way to know how its affected them.
By the time they've developed symptoms of sickness and notice it's probably too late to stop it and all you can do is get out of there.
Mutations and cancer will come in time.

Roll for them on this. There's really no other way to do Radiation right in a way that understands what is inherently terrifying about radiation.
The best you can do for hints are a "whiff of ozone" or something like burnt hair or cardboard if you are really nice, or if one of them says they scratch their nuts, they notice one of them is bigger.

>> No.77972818
File: 400 KB, 469x635, tumblr_inline_pk38embCYR1rprfgq_500[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Stats for radiation elementals when?

>> No.77972978

Does anyone know where I can get better versions of the art from Convergence?

The easiest to find scans of the 1st edition corebook are all awful and it's impossible to see anything in the photos. I own a physical copy so it's not like it's piracy.

>> No.77973722
File: 410 KB, 1399x973, 1613215853628.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.77974176
File: 766 KB, 1324x2048, 88445880_2886346484785827_5709928848439640064_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.77974807

Should add the recent Alien game to the OP's list of horror games.

>> No.77974957

>>77974807
I think we would but we haven't heard a lot of talk about it since it came up. Also at the time there was an Aliens general that died pretty fast.

The problem with the Aliens game is we have no idea if it's going to have any form of Longevity once they cut support.
It hasn't taken off as much as they'd like even if it's been getting rave reviews.
A lot of that has to do with how they work at it expanded the universe beyond the Xenomorph. They've tried pretty hard with the quickstart stuff and otherwise to focus on the non-xenomph creatures from the films but we haven't seen too much from that in terms of other content or books yet.

>> No.77975353

>>77974957
Pretty sad, since it's clear a lot of love went into it. Maybe the fallout from Covenant, combined with the Disney buyout may have made things uncertain for the fandom? Actually scratch that, maybe Disney owning the IP now has put it into a weird limbo for the devs? Like, don't want to put more work into something that may get yanked away from you?

>> No.77976366

Anyone still got that Delta Green alignment chart? The Mi-Go Spurdo makes me laugh.

>> No.77976403
File: 7.70 MB, 3200x3200, ear6wnmaoxo51.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77976366

>> No.77976411

>>77975353
Mothership being decently popular in basically the same niche certainly hasn't helped either. I have no idea which is better but it is definitely splitting the consumer pool

>> No.77976427
File: 4.60 MB, 3200x3205, rhjue0ywkqo51.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77976366
pt. 2

>> No.77976459

>>77976403
>>77976427
Danke, anon.

>> No.77976832

>>77925785
>How are zombies presented in your games?
The main threat, I don't like using zombies as the narrative equivalent of an environmental hazard.
>What sort of threat do they pose?
Depends on the type and/or setting, but generally their unyielding nature. Unlike other intelligent opponents, including animal predators, the enemy will attempt to flee when out matched (or damaged). This is where the undead differ as they will continue fighting till the end, making even simple encounters into pointless expenditures of resources and manpower.
One-shots, longer games (i.e. campaigns) that have zombies as the main threat tend to taper-off really quickly. Always have an end goal in mind.
Survival... all zombie games end up crossing into the topic of survival and it helps to understand what your individual players considering survival as. This is the most important "game zero" conversation you can have with your players.
>Questions for Horrorverse refugees:
>>What are your favorite stories or media that use zombies?
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Resident Evil (outbreak)
>>What would be your preferred story using them?
Evil Dead but with Zombies instead of Deadites.

>> No.77977198

Anyone listened to old gods of Applachia? Anyone know what kind of system would be decent for running a game in that setting?

>> No.77977936
File: 165 KB, 1200x1200, EeDn6bbXYAAyGAw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77977198
Either heavily modified Nights Black Agents or you can use the Stalker RPG system. I'd also recommend the Silent Legions tables if you want to create unique Things or their servants without having to necessarily use Horned Head or the Witch Queen.

>> No.77979464

>>77976403
>>77976427
This needs to stop

>> No.77979532

>>77925922
>Can't believe that last thread died so suddenly.
Honestly, it's hilarious that a comment about DG being a dead meme system killed the thread... so true, lol.

>> No.77979573

>>77925931
You know what I've yet to see?

>Deadite Apocalypse

Everyone wants to be in a game where they have to face these creatures from Evil Dead, yet nobody ever runs a game with them.

>> No.77979610

>>77926112
I'm stealing the only bit of creativity ever posted into these threads.

>> No.77979697

>>77926789
WuFlu seems like a dumb reason to stop playing with Zombies, though that Covid Zombies movie was pretty shit.

>> No.77979782

>>77934829
Ya, it was a mix of the Zombie Survival Guide and CoD Zombies that exploded that market. I fucking HATE zombie anthologies, which are just shitty short stories compiled together without any rhyme or reason. It's the worst thing to happen and only started en-mass after 'zombies' became a mainstream concept, the various zombie survival game clones are also shit.

>> No.77979873

>>77937000
That would suck ass, but I guess it depends. Insects decapitate each other and tend to rot away quickly so undead insects wouldn't be too bad of an issue. The thing I've always worried about is undead animals a la Resident Evil. I've been bitten and scratched by so many animals, so I know we'd all be so absolutely fucked.

>> No.77979913

>>77937372
Yes and no, I like RE but they're more bio-weapons or mutants then undead.

>> No.77980155

>>77937546
Resident Evil 6, Leon's campaign, was pretty much that. I forget the cities name, but I really want the next RE game set in that city which was destroyed by a satellite after terrorist released the T-virus. IIRC the city ended up sinking into the sea after getting laser'd, but I just can't remember the name. Regardless, it would be a great setting for a game and literally plays out as you mentioned.

>> No.77980239

>>77942050
>DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT?
No, but I'd like to.

>> No.77980359

>>77957853
>>77958049
>>77957923
>WoD
Go be a nigger faggot tranny somewhere else.

>> No.77981575
File: 11 KB, 250x244, neral.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Best interpretation of Nyarlathotep

You cannot disagree.

>> No.77981760
File: 196 KB, 681x1024, Tooth_Fairy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

^77979532
That was not what killed the thread.

Nobody was posting shit.

>>77977936
>>77977198
You want Stalker the Scifi RPG for any system which commonly has shit that can instakill players that isn't an NPC.

>>77979464
no

btw everything on the former table refers to a fan scenario

>> No.77981819
File: 219 KB, 680x594, model.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77979873
>Insects decapitate each other and tend to rot away quickly so undead insects wouldn't be too bad of an issue
Why would they fight each other?

>>77979782
Pretty much.
The open world zombie games were the nail in the coffin desu + The Walking Dead burying the hatchet.

They'll still be there and they'll still come back.

>>77926789
I ran Blackwater Creek during COVID
my players liked how it tapped into current anxieties.
I have no idea what in the flying fuck you are talking about.

>> No.77982514

>>77942050
Cthulhu - End Times?

>> No.77982654

>>77981760
>That was not what killed the thread.
I know, I'm just dunking on DG because fuck em'.

>> No.77982732

>>77981819
>Why would they fight each other?
Because that's what insects currently do, so any insect being resurrected as a zombie will be doing so as parts. The few "whole bugs" which come back would likely deal with other insects or creatures before they get to larger prey, because that's what's around them and they're attacking the closest thing to them.

>> No.77982871
File: 443 KB, 523x523, 87375164_10162922941735517_4295876450382249984_n.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77982654
They do get talked about more than other games but that's largely bc fans find the setting and world more interesting and there's a lot they give us to discuss.

If other fans found their settings as interesting and tried they'd get brought up more but they don't for some reason.
If ya don't like it post other shit bro
it easy

By the way for some reason a lot of the Monographs from Chaosium were taken off drivethrurpg.
I'm checking the Trove now to try to get my hands on a copy of Dark mirror and its having trouble coming up. TheTrove got so much worse once they added that viewer I swear.

>> No.77983117

>>77972759
Don't people get a weird feeling around radiation? Or otherwise don't some forms of radiation lead to people feeling warm?
Nuclear accidents kinda freak me out, the whole "Invisible Floating Death that causes your skin to fall off and your bones to melt" thing is kinda spooky,

>> No.77983253

>>77983117
>Nuclear accidents kinda freak me out, the whole "Invisible Floating Death that causes your skin to fall off and your bones to melt" thing is kinda spooky,
Strange sounds in the night are ‘kinda spooky‘, anon. Toxic radiation is fucking terrifying.

>> No.77983531

>>77983117
Nope, not until it starts affecting you biologically.
Large amounts feel like warmth.

Until you get sufficient exposure to affect your body no, you genuinely can't feel it.

>> No.77983566
File: 288 KB, 800x640, Demon_Core.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77983117
>>77983531
For more info here's a description of exposure to the "Demon Core" during the earliest days of Nuclear Testin

>On 21 May 1946, with seven colleagues watching, Slotin performed an experiment that involved the creation of one of the first steps of a fission reaction by placing two half-spheres of beryllium (a neutron reflector) around a 3.5-inch-diameter (89 mm) plutonium core. The experiment used the same 6.2-kilogram (13.7 lb) plutonium core that had irradiated Harry Daghlian, later called the "demon core" for its role in the two accidents. Slotin grasped the upper 9-inch beryllium hemisphere with his left hand through a thumb hole at the top while he maintained the separation of the half-spheres using the blade of a screwdriver with his right hand, having removed the shims normally used. Using a screwdriver was not a normal part of the experimental protocol.

>At 3:20 p.m., the screwdriver slipped and the upper beryllium hemisphere fell, causing a "prompt critical" reaction and a burst of hard radiation. At the time, the scientists in the room observed the blue glow of air ionization and felt a heat wave. Slotin experienced a sour taste in his mouth and an intense burning sensation in his left hand. He jerked his left hand upward, lifting the upper beryllium hemisphere and dropping it to the floor, ending the reaction. However, he had already been exposed to a lethal dose of neutron radiation.

>As soon as Slotin left the building, he vomited, a common reaction from exposure to extremely intense ionizing radiation. Slotin's colleagues rushed him to the hospital, but the radiation damage was irreversible.[1]

>> No.77983763
File: 100 KB, 1200x781, alien-cin-rpg1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77976411
>>77975353
True but Mothership isn't as polished or professional as Alien even though it's fascinating to look at it.

I highly doubt Mothership is cutting too hard into the Alien RPG market share.
It's been out since late 2019

So far it's only gotten:
>Core Book
>Starter Set (That's really just a single scenario in the box)
>The Scenario from the starter set released as a solo download [If you want to count that]
>A Mini campaign/scenario called Destroyer of Worlds (Playable with the starter set rules)
>The Gamemaster Screen + Proprietary Dice [If you want to count that]
>A Forthcoming Colonial Marines operation Manual

That's about it.

I think another part of it is that moreso than most RPGs I can think of, it is very, very heavily focused on production value, handouts, dice, tokens, oodles of high quality art which you don't need but help sell it visually.

>> No.77984702
File: 48 KB, 870x352, sarcophagus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.77984881

>>77981575
The Shore game has a pretty cool design for Nyarlathoteps avatar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOsoAj_v3_A around 1:14:15 timestamp

>> No.77984921

>>77984881
I was kinda making a joke as I never realized he was supposed to be a nyarlathotep type until I was like today days old due to a conversation with a friend.

>> No.77985207
File: 4.39 MB, 4032x3024, 20210309_121816.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

This all arrived today, really digging the detail in Fall of Delta Green now that I have a physical copy.

>> No.77985684

>>77985207
>You splurged on the leatherette
Oof. I hope you like it because I was initially disappointed with the way the book looked but it's grown on me a hell of a lot since then.

The lore is incredibly impressive and it was actually too much for me to keep in my head at once. The game system feels iffy to me as someone who comes from more simulation-ey games but it's perfect to steal from in regards to combat rules for any other GUMSHOE game so long as you move them up on it too.

Some of the art in FoDG is shitty though and I wish they used more historical photos although there's still a bunch

>> No.77985880

>>77985684
I went with it since I had a few more brouzoufs to spare, and it matches the slipcase for the main DG rulebook and Arc Dream's KiY release. And yeah some of the art isn't good, but I think the rest of the product makes up for it. The historical photos do help with the atmosphere. Still unsure whether I'll use GUMSHOE though.

>> No.77986083

>>77983117
Radiation is considered a nightmare by most people for a reason. It's a creeping death you won't even detect until it has you.

>> No.77986181

>>77985880
Same I'm considering using the Delta Green system for it.

The Preparadness skill though I really want to port over, maybe a few more.

Preparadness is so fucking good that when i ended up playing actual Delta Green, I just assumed it was already in the game.

Fringe science is another fun one.
Not gonna like though I miss the term "Bullshit Detector"

>> No.77986987
File: 156 KB, 899x1164, 223734.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Deciding between pic related and AFMBE for a zombie apocalypse game. AFMBE seems better suited to arcadey RE-style survival, and I know it has that Regenesis fan supp, so there's that.
I can't find many people who have played O:U, though it seems like a really intriguing and thought-out system. Is it shit or actually great at survival horror?

>> No.77987127

>>77986987
Never played OU but have played AFMBE and would heartily recommend.
Could you steal anything from OU and port it over?

>> No.77987370
File: 41 KB, 564x538, 1612168611795.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77925785
I need some help getting a zombie apocalypse game written. I just don't see an outbreak of zombies ever being anything but inconvenient for a moderately prepared party, let alone becoming a big enough issue to become an apocalypse. But I still like the idea of that sort of large scale horror, and I had a concept I wanted to run where a zombie outbreak happens during the Cristeros War in Mexico. I think the contrast of the Catholic imagery, shambling corpses, and backwoods of Mexico has the potential for a great setting.

So.
1. Can you have a moderate zombie apocalypse? Not a single instance, not a civilization ending cataclysm, but something inbetween? Comparable to a drought or cold winter?
2. How do I do zombies in light of Covid? I don't want my players to feel like they're escaping from one world with plague to a world with a smaller, different plague.
3. Are there other horror monsters / events similiar in scale to zombies that aren't zombies?

>> No.77987634

Anyone have any good art of the Elder Things, or any Egypt-in-mythos stuff?

>> No.77987791
File: 1.09 MB, 706x915, outbreak2nded.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77987127
The main difference between how the two handle their theme (i.e. zombies) is in their mechanics and overall focus, rather than OU giving a specific setting or element of fluff. It's why I was interested in the first place, but it's difficult to describe how exactly (I have also only read a small portion of the book in my last post, and the game's Quickstart rules, which I believe are free online).

OU is entirely focused around creating a survival horror framework that works off of trading rolled successes and managing failures. The book visually emphasises the integral way that success and failure is treated within the game, which makes it somewhat difficult to ingest at first glance. Pic related is only really the first page of what I mean.
Essentially, player rolls in and out of scenes generate one or more Degrees of success/failure, and then they resolve those results in a number of ways, including pulling off and enhancing moves (like adding additional damage, reducing time spent on a task, adding effects to a skill), or using failures to reduce the effect of their actions somehow. This all happens as part of a dice pool system that uses a combination of D% and D6s.
GMs can use player failures to gain a resource called Risk, which they can use to spawn and improve threats like zombies or environmental dangers. There seems to be this back-and-forth dynamic between players and the GM that emphasises risk-reward and intelligent resource use within the game's core concept, which I really like as it's survival horror to a T.
As of 2nd Ed, there's also been the inclusion of dedicated settlement/refuge rules which look more like a city sim than a traditional RPG.
But how the game pulls all this off, I'm not sure of yet, and I wanted to see whether anybody here might have played it. So far I've only seen it in the realm of Youtube playthroughs.

>> No.77987854

>>77987791
Yuck, pictograms.
Maybe I'm old fashioned but that doesn't sound like a good time to me. Why not just use Fate?

>> No.77987941
File: 757 KB, 796x703, outbreak2nded2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77987791
OU describes itself as a simulationist sort of game, but it seems to me that its survival-horror framework is more or less essential to what it is. The balance that goes into its core formula is its primary draw, and I can see it working for what it wants. The Unisystem that AFMBE uses seems much more simulationist to me because nothing about its actual structure is geared by design toward zombie survival - I'm sure the makers of OU would regard that as a flaw they tried to fix. Whether they did is up to the players.
It's... different, I guess, and not in the simplified/streamlined 'party game' way Ten Candles or Dread is, but in an expansive capacity.

>>77987854
I don't have any experience at all with Fate, but you basically echoed most negative reviews I did read of OU. I've heard from more positive reviews that the symbols allow rules further down the line to flow much more smoothly, but that relies upon you basically altering the way you read pages and understand rules to be able to master. Not sure if I have the time or patience to do that if the final product is just not worth trying.

>> No.77988064
File: 18 KB, 255x198, fingers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

I am a incredibly, guilty pleasure fan of friendly/goofy/jolly thing/human veering into eerie/creepy or outright malign territory. How does one play such an NPC right? The mannerisms? The intentions? The methodology?

>> No.77988193

I'm looking to play a fantasy horror game, thinking Victorian/gothic. Any suggestions on system or premade settings? I'd like to have somewhat normal PCs with the potential for minor magic later should someone pursue it. Minorly lethal to necessitate planning for fights/investigating the threat ahead of time, but most of the group is very new and nuking them during the first session doesn't sound too fun. Should I just grab Cthulhu by Gaslight? I'd prefer to avoid crunch heavy games but I'm open to almost anything

>> No.77988471

>>77988193
>fantasy horror game, thinking Victorian/gothic
>system or premade setting
>I'd prefer to avoid crunch heavy games
It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but Blades in the Dark leans heavily on the dark fantasy Victorian aesthetic and while the game is about playing and managing a street gang, many elements of the setting can absolutely be played for horror if you want to run such a campaign.

>> No.77988963

>>77986083
It also why radon is so dangerous. At any moment, at any second, you could be hit with radiation decay gas and there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid it.

>> No.77989899

>>77986181
Yeah I think I'll try to join a game that uses GUMSHOE before deciding whether I'll use it in my own games.

>> No.77989922

>>77986181
What is the preparedness skill and how does it work? Not above hacking up the DG system to make it better

>> No.77990123

What's that site called that described weird trials to obtain magical objects? It would always starts off with "Walk into any x in any country and ask..." I've been trying to remember the name for ages now

>> No.77990147

>>77987370
If your zombies are risen corpses, having them rot due to the rigors of heat and movement would put a time limit on them being threatening. They'd have about 3 weeks before they skeletonise, according to a quick google.
If your zombies are magic things, avoid comparisons to a plague, and instead describe them as things like "God's will made manifest."

>> No.77990251

>>77987370
>>77990147
I think putting a time limit on the zombies survivability in the mexico heat combined with the overall slower speed of travel and higher degree of isolation in those days would make this completely achievable. Could even add some interesting preventative setpieces like having to demo a railroad/stop a train bound for a major population center with the living dead on board

>> No.77991276

>>77989922
It's basically a skill for saying you had a gun strapped under your seat, or that you had a greenbox with money or medical supplies prepared in case of emergency.
It won't let you pull an rpg out of your ass, but it lets you say you had greenboxes prepared or a go bag etc.

>>77990123
The Holders.
I've considered running a KULT game off it

>> No.77991332

>>77991276
Oh so kinda like Blades in the Dark style flashback mechanics, but a bit more limited? That does sound useful

>> No.77991417

>>77991276
>The Holders
Thanks anon, that was driving me crazy

>> No.77991734

>>77988193
>>77988471
Seconding Blades in the Dark.

>> No.77992660

>>77991332
>>77989922
To clarify, it allows you to pack kits efficiently and have whatever you'd reasonably need for your profession.
The way its described in the book is "rappelling line just long enough to get me down off this building".
It also mentions very clearly: Innapropriate use of the skill is like Pornography: Your Handler will know it when they see it.
The current DG book basically has the "tools of the trade" section for this
(and that page is also why federal agents are probably the go-to solution for a character since they start with a pistol, a long-arm and a full suit of tactical body armor on top of a kevlar vest)

I think if you port it over you may be best off porting it over stock with how GUMSHOE does spends but just slapping it into DG/CoC except every 5 or 10 points in the skill equals a single use/a single point in GUMSHOE.

>> No.77994726

>>77926688
Describing 'This Book is Full of Spiders' as being between two incredibly different writers makes me think you haven't read either.

>>77926789
>indelicate
Quit playing with faggots.

>> No.77995356

>>77988064
Try to use terms that have no clear meaning in any of the in-setting languages, terms that may make sense to the entity in question but are gibberish to anyone who hears them but can be equated to similar terminology as a sort of 'best fit'. You used the Orz as your example, so you can easily substitute a number of their phrases or similar behaviors for whatever your doing (*fingers* meaning just that, *frumple* being unpleasantness/anger, *silly cow* being an all-purpose insult, *juice* being blood, etc).

The malevolence comes in from the entity being so alien and bizarre that it's impossible to discern its desires clearly and at times it makes clear threats or says things hinting at a darker nature when probed enough.

>> No.77995517

>>77986987
I got the 1st edition on sale and it felt more like an art project than a playable game. The entire CRB was written like a survivor journal, which was neat but nearly unreadable in many parts. I never ran it and never saw anyone else run it. From what I could gather it's more of a survival simulation than general zombie game.

I think I have 2e on DTRPG but I've never read it. I don't really know what it could do better than AFMBE, my zombie system of choice.

>> No.77996727

>>77994726
I have read it, I'm talking about stuff like the Mannequin sequence with his girlfriend, or the Monster Dave thing, or the shadow men and what their touch does.

There are touches in JDaTE which reach closer to existential horror than Lovecraft. That's what I'm getting at ya goof.

This book is full of spiders is nothing like ligotti

The movie cuts most of this.
Just because it has goofy shit doesn't offset the bleakness.

>> No.77996945

>>77996727
Ligotti stuff has tons of humour though. I don't think goofiness can offset bleakness, since horror and comedy are the same emotion, just evoked in different contexts.

>> No.77997127

>>77996945
I was right about to add that but I said nah before I posted because I didn't think it was worth baiting that guy.

>> No.77997733

>>77997127
>>77996727
I'm still not quite sure how JDaTE evokes Ligotti and it sounds like you're only really comparing the aesthetics when a lot of what makes Ligotti so good is his range of voices, his pastiches, his story structures and more like that. Comparing him only on an aesthetic level misses the point but I'm not overtly familiar with JDaTE.

Do you guys thinkt hat Perfume: Story of a Killer, could be a good set up for a Gumshoe game? Or would it be better as a DG thing? Similarly, do you think Chainsaw Man would be a good setting to use for Don't Rest Your Head?

>> No.77998734

>>77996945
Why would you want nothing but hopeless bleakness anyway? Sounds edgelordy and dull to me.

>> No.77999036

>>77995517
AFMBE is simple and easy to get people into. OU looks like a system I could run given enough time and reading, but I would also have to convince everyone else to also 'shift' their way of thinking to the extent that they can get into it as well.

>> No.77999543

>>77998734
A lot of the best horror stories are hopeless bleakness; the key is where you put your hopelessly bleak moment anon.

>> No.78001140
File: 268 KB, 332x356, 1558845544640.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>77999543
To each their own I guess, but too much bleakness can quickly hit the nihilism/whatsthepoint territory, which (in my opinion) gets retarded.

>> No.78002586

>>77998734
Not him, but my very favorite piece of horror media, if not favorite piece of media in general is Twin Peaks and the rest of Lynch's body of work. And that's the epitome of hopelessly bleak.

In my experience anyway, most horror settings are hopelessly bleak. They just vary in terms of presentation.

>> No.78002774

Does anyone have a link to the Call of Cthulu books?
I want to give them a read before I buy hard copies,
the trove link in the 5e general doesn't have them (i think)

>> No.78002900

>>77972610
good cause they are going extinct irl

>> No.78003281

>>78002774
They're in Thetrove if you google site:thetrove.is
and add the name of it. There's a whole section of them.

If you do things like me just give them a flip-through.
The starter set has the most succinct version of the rules.

>> No.78003316

The 50's is an underrated Cthulhu setting and I wish there was more for it.

It's also pretty much a gold setting for some Anti-communism / Government Agent / Potential early Delta Green-TYPE stuff playing government G men.

>> No.78003707

The Kult books are a joy to read through and look at.

Too bad the first book's crunch is annoying as hell.

Also AFMBE at one time was considered "rules light".
Now a couple people here called it "simulationist"

>> No.78004636
File: 49 KB, 820x410, pulse-stain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Are there any books or sources people here would recommend for running J-horror-themed games? I'm looking to run some scenarios using COC and maybe Chronicles of Darkness. I know there are sourcebooks for Japan probably for both of these games to fit the country within their settings (i.e. Japan is secretly run by Cthulhu) but the nature of modern J-horror is far removed from the content these books are about. It has a markedly different 'feel' to cosmic or gothic horror and I'd like to be able to capture that, or at least read about it. I already have a book coming in about J-horror in general, but are there any good RPG-themed books about J-horror as an atmosphere?

>> No.78004726

>>78004636
>are there any good RPG-themed books about J-horror as an atmosphere?
probably not in English

>> No.78005019

>>78004636
The Kuro RPG was definitely going for J-Horror, though I don't know if it was actually any good or not.

>> No.78005295

>>77972759
Industrial accidents as a whole are good, there are truly thousands of extremely dangerous chemicals that can cause long lasting and worsening damage to the human body long after contact.
Many, many of which the human body has no way to reliably sense, at least until it's far too late.
Invisible death lasers from radiation is a very real problem, but invisible death air is responsible for truly millions of deaths every year, making the <100'000 total from nuclear power accidents pretty negligible by comparison

>> No.78005641

>>78004726
That's what I'm afraid of.

>>78005019
I'll check it out anon, cheers. From a glance, it looks very unique.

>> No.78006297
File: 145 KB, 683x1024, d76959ab398b07b33d156328b7ab7142--red-pyramid-silent-hill-pyramid-head.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>> No.78007626

>>78004636
Just gonna hijack this and ask what people's favourite J-Horror movie is? My top three are Audition, Pulse and Noroi.

>> No.78007676

>>78007626
I really like One Missed Call, despite it being noticeably schlockier than others. It's always the first film I show to people who want to try out J-horror (maybe besides Ring).

>> No.78008177

>>78006297
tfw you are so pathetic and hate yourself so much that your personal self-torture demon you manifested to punish you sticks around for an entire franchise after you leave the spooky town/metaphysical space where you "created" it

>> No.78009455

>>78002586
Twin Peaks and Lynch in general are also highly overrated, IMO anyway. He's the real version of the "oo u saw a tentacle now ur insane" meme about Lovecraft.
>uh oh dood midget uh oh oooooo a guy ooooo kooky townsfolk so scary nihilism oooooo

>> No.78009554

>>77998734
>>78001140
>>78002586
ARE most horror stories bleak and hopeless anyway?
Silent Hill is bleak but not hopeless and can end well.
Evil Dead isn't bleak and hopeless.
Resident Evil isn't bleak and hopeless.
A lot of old gothic stories aren't bleak and hopeless.
Many of Derleth and Lovecraft's stories weren't bleak and hopeless.
Even at his bleakest Romero isn't hopeless.
Hitchcock, Carpenter, Craven.
Majority of horror movies aren't hopeless.

I dunno, Ligotti and Lynch aren't as influential on horror as some people seem to think, and nihilistic "nothing matters, suffer and die" horror is a niche at the very best.

>> No.78009693

>>78009554
One of Silent Hill 2's endings is pretty much as good/happy as it could possibly be, given the context of what James did and suffered through

>> No.78009734

>>78007626
Does anime count? If so, Audition, Noroi and Perfect Blue. If it doesn't count, swap out Perfect Blue for Ju-On. I'm a big fan of subversions of the genre which is why Noroi and Audition are up there I think while Ju-On is just well executed horror.

>>78009554
>Silent Hill 1's original intended ending was 'The Bad Ending' before they decided to do 3. The writer's thought 2's In Water ending was probably canon.
>Evil Dead 1 had everyone die, Army of Darkness had a far leap forward.
>A lot of old gothic stories aren't bleak and hopeless
Gotta disagree there. M.R. James, Woman in Black, The King In Yellow's initial parts, everything by Algernon Blackwood and Arthur Machen.
>Even at his bleakest Romero isn't hopeless
Day of the Dead is one of the most desolate endings of all time anon.
>Many of Derleth and Lovecraft's stories aren't bleak and hopeless
Most of Lovecraft's stories are hopeless anon. Either from a cosmic scale or literally because the horror isn't defeated, as is the case in The Thing on the Doorstep.
>majority of horror movies aren't hopeless
I don't think that's true, especially in the modern day given the endings of The VVitch, The Blackcoat's Daughter, Hereditary, Midsommar and so on.
>Ligotti and Lynch
Caitlin R. Kiernan, Laird Barron, the above mentioned authors, Michael Shae, Narukami, Junji Ito, Shintaro Kago, Pathologic 1 and 2, SOMA, Amnesia, World of Horror and PT all had or have fairly desolate endings. What that anon said 'Many of the most popular horror stories have desolate endings' is true, from Rosemary's Baby to the above mentioned.

Horror doesn't need to have a negative ending to be good but it's asinine to say that they make stories worse.

Also, Ligotti isn't really that influential. Many people still aren't aware of him or just say they are but haven't actually read his work in any great detail. Even the True Detective guy only read 'Conspiracy Against the Human Race'. He's a hidden gem.

>> No.78009752

>>78009455
>>78009455
I wouldn't even engage with Argent when it comes to Twin Peaks, he keeps headcanoning and talking in circles to try and make it peak horror/peak whatever the current conversation is currently about.

>>78008177
That's actually an interesting idea of unresolved trauma creating curses that continue to spread, accumulate and take on new forms as they exacerbate the scares and traumas of other humans.

>> No.78009888

>>78009752
This is actually a pretty cool way to look at it, way better than the reality of "This man's personal psychological torture demon is visually iconic and we can print more money if we put him in other games despite it not making sense."

>> No.78010326

>>78009734
>Day of the Dead is one of the most desolate endings of all time anon
You mean where they escape, find a safe beach, have supplies and a helicopter and a radio, and get to sunbathe and fish? DotD is my favorite of Romero's movies and when I hear people talk about how depressing and awful the ending is I don't think they actually watched anything but a death scene compilation.

>> No.78010383

>>78009888
You could probably also play it as 'The town's mythology manifests appropiate figures from its history when it comes across the correct traumatic stimuli." If you desire punishment and have allowed toxic masculinity to infect your life, like James or Alex from 4 did, it manifests a Pyramid Head for you. Similarly with the God thing.

Personally though, I'm not the biggest fan of the town's logic being 'purely a place of psychological punishment and gaslighting to punish and put on trial someone who carries guilt".

>>78010326
Well this is within the greater context of 'All human institutions have failed, the zombies are learning and mankind has no way of ever reclaiming dominance and is going to slowly die out". It's a comfortable ending for the protagonists but the situation for humanity from the start of the movie to the end has only deteroriated.

>> No.78010443

>>78009734
>Gotta disagree there. M.R. James, Woman in Black, The King In Yellow's initial parts, everything by Algernon Blackwood and Arthur Machen
Those aren't the majority of horror stories, so it's still not proving the point of "many of the most popular horror has desolate bleakness."
>Most of Lovecraft's stories are hopeless anon
They usually don't deal with any set cosmological structure and are usually just unrelated horror stories.
>I don't think that's true, especially in the modern day given the endings of The VVitch, The Blackcoat's Daughter, Hereditary, Midsommar and so on
The majority as a whole, not just new ones. Then you could bring up something like Lights Out which is hardly a bleak ending.
>The VVitch
For the "main" character maybe. She gives her soul to Satan, but God, as in capital G God, is still there and real. Her choosing to go evil doesn't mean it's a hopeless, bleak setting.
>Amnesia
Where the dark cult can be foiled and their efforts stopped?
>Horror doesn't need to have a negative ending to be good but it's asinine to say that they make stories worse.
I agree that a bad ending doesn't immediately make a horror story bad, definitely, but I do think nihilism often toes that line of pretentiousness, this I-smell-my-own-farts sort of uppityness and inflated view of how good one's own work is. Lovecraft, mack daddy of nihilistic horror stories, didn't see himself as some smart cool intellectual, he said he thought he was a terrible writer even, but he wrote because he enjoyed doing it, not for money or fame. Now a lot of so-called nihilistic authors like Lynch seem to write from this perspective of "I'm smart because my story is hopeless, tell me I'm smart" mindset. There's a sort of relentless masturbation going on with a lot of Lynch's interviews and behind the scenes footage. I don't hate him or his stories, but I think he's overrated. Same with Stephen King.

>> No.78010602

>>78010383
Theoretically you're right, but I still don't know if I'd call it a truly bleak, hopeless ending. That'd be Dawn's original ending where the entire cast dies and flyboy's girlfriend kills herself with helicopter blades. They didn't like that ending and settled for one more hopeful. Of course both movies are still bleak, but they're not hopeless and what the protags did wasn't futile.

>> No.78010638

>>78010602
The goal of the experiment failed and every single military personnel died. I guess when I say hopeless or bleak, I'm not just considering the characters' situation. Day of the Dead is depicted as one of the last chances humanity has and by the end of the story, that chance is gone.

>> No.78010678

>>78010638
That's fair, I guess it's a matter of
>if an ending is good, does that mean it's not bleak
>if an ending is bad, does that mean it's bleak
I guess the idea is the definitions aren't mutually exclusive, but ultimately a story is neither better nor worse for a good or bad ending, it lies in the execution.

>> No.78010768

>>78010443
VVitch never makes it clear if God exists anon but for the character and her family, it's a completely bleak ending. It's also very critical of religion or at least, the Puritain understanding of religion, as a whole.
>Amnesia
In 1, it can be foiled but 2 of 4 endings have you fail completely. In Amnesia Rebirth, there is no happy ending. In Amnesia: Machine for Pigs, saving London just means WW1 is going to happen.
>Lovecraft, mack daddy of nihilistic horror stories
He isn't though, he was inspired by Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen and Robert W Chambers who *also* all had very pessimistic endings to their own stories. Not only that, Lovecraft's own self-believed best story was The Colour Out of Space which is one of his singular bleakest endings where the entire cast dies or has their lives ruined and the Colour is still on Earth and may soon have an even greater number of victims to feed off of from before.
>Lynch
I'm not a Lynch fan.
>I do think nihilism often toes that line of pretentiousness, this I-smell-my-own-farts sort of uppityness and inflated view of how good one's own work is
I think this is bollocks personally speaking. For one thing, nihilism isn't a malus or a negative value, it's a null value. A pessimistic story would be one where everything is shit, awful and terrible. Even with that said, I don't think a nihilistic horror story is going to be any better or worse than a more hopeful one objectively speaking; it's going to come down to how you do it, like any form of media. Personally, I'm biased towards bleaker endings because I tend to find them more horrific than happy endings but it would be stupid to pretend they're just innately better when movies like Jacob's Ladder exist.

>>78010678
Yeah, that's my point. I think if you're judging a bleak ending you need to look at the personal situation of the characters and say, the broader setting as a whole.

>> No.78010806

>>78010768
>VVitch never makes it clear if God exists anon but for the character and her family, it's a completely bleak ending. It's also very critical of religion or at least, the Puritain understanding of religion, as a whole.
The Puritans have shit wrong but considering Satan is there and he gets witches to fucking murder people and the only ones who don't seem to suffer are those who are devoted to God tells me it's not as critical of religion as you might think. I know a lot of far-left media groups were going on about how it's so empowering and how sexuality and nudity are so deep and how religion is so bad and they completely missed the point.

>> No.78010886

>>78010806
It's pretty critical considering the baby gets kidnapped by the witch, dies and the family isn't even sure he's saved while the younger son gets raped by an old witch lady and probably possessed before dying. Neither of them did anything wrong and both suffer; the twins also get abducted by witches though it's never made clear if they sighed their names in the black book or not.

>> No.78010930

>>78010886
>evil satanist witches do evil satanist witch things
>this is critical of puritan religion
???

>> No.78010945

>>78010886
>>78010930
If anything it actually supports Puritanical beliefs given how it showcases how oppressive and mean witch hunters and general sentiment was, but then you found out that yes, yes indeed there are witches who are fucking psychotic serving Satan who wants to steal peoples' souls, and that the Puritans were right all along.

>> No.78010986

>>78010930
>>78010945
The fact that two innocents can die and go to Hell despite having done nothing personally wrong is one of the criticism of religion anon. Along with the fact that their religion gives none of them comfort and just makes them all feel worse as time passes.

>> No.78011013

>>78010986
There's no indication that those people are damned given that Satan has to enact an elaborate ruse just to get the soul of the main character.
>Along with the fact that their religion gives none of them comfort
Don't the two main guys have revelations that make them repent and be more faithful? Even though they die they both don't seem miserable when it happens. I forget the names.

>> No.78011166

>>78011013
The father can't tell his son if the baby has gone to Heaven or not because they weren't able to baptise him, so instead the baby got disemboweled and his guts used to making flying oil for the witch's broom. Plus, the son acts possessed during his 'revelation' and an orgasmic experience which is distinctively unholy, after he ends up spitting up like an apple piece or a worm or something symbolising his eternal corruption.
>Don't the two main guys have revelations that make them repent and be more faithful?
No. What happens is
>Baby is unbaptised, gets turned into witch oil
>Caleb the son is led astray by the witch and he's interested in her because he's going through puberty but she rapes him instead of him willingly giving consent before having his possession where he orgasms talking about God after spitting up an apple symbolising that he's had the fruit from the garden of knowledge
>The mother signs her name in the black book and gets her nipple pecked off by a crow before she forces her daughter to kill her by attempting to murder her
>The dad has a breakdown begging God to kill him and punish him instead of his three remaining children, the twins and the main girl before the goat, Black Phillip, disembowels him and takes his place as head of the family
>Before this, the two twins are stolen away from the barn after being locked in it by their older sister; you can see this because they're missing and the roof has a massive hole in it
>The eldest daughter, after her entire family is dead, signs her name in the black book and becomes a witch
The only people arguably without sin are Caleb, who was possessed and raped by the wtich, and the father, although the sole reason everyone left their local town is due to his pride after he says they aren't all true followers of Christ like he is.

God never comforts anyone in the movie.

>> No.78011184

>>78009455
Argent didn't even need to tell you that you got Lynched. You did it to yourself.

>> No.78011243

>>78011166
It's Hollywood in the 21st century. You think Christianity would ever be portrayed positively?

>> No.78011294

>>78011243
It is in some movies though. All of the REC movies and Deliver Us From Evil are all positive. Even at its most negative, the witch isn't being critical of religion or Chrisitianity as a whole, just Puritanism.

>> No.78011375

>>78011294
I forgot REC actually turned out to be about demonic possession. Sucks that 3 and 4 were RE movie levels of stupid shlock though.

>> No.78011482

>>78010443
>Where the dark cult can be foiled and their efforts stopped?
Alexander is only stopped from returning to his home dimension using the immense amounts of vitae he gathered. The Shadow itself isn't opposed or even really inconvenienced, and it gets what it wants in the end.

In A Machine For Pigs, not only does stopping the Machine ultimately end the life of the protagonist, but stopping it and saving London only means WW1 will kick off and kill countless. Machine For Pigs also shows jsut how devastating the power of the Orbs are, given a single shattered one was enough to fuel the Machine and it eagerly states it will "split the egg"- elaborated on as it destroying the entire planet in its gleeful spiteful madness and we know from Rebirth that the Shadow itself can destroy worlds when suitably angered. Rebirth has no good endings. You either give your baby up to Tihana for her to raise and sustain whilst you degenerate into a Harvester or you escape from her back to Paris where your Harvester infection is still present, the baby will die from congenital degenerative disease in a few years without mulching people into vitae for her to drink, and you're only three years away from the Nazi occupation.

>> No.78011691

>>78011482
It's either split the egg and unleash the Shadow or else split the atom and use nukes but yeah. Also, don't forget the Rebirth ending where you and the baby die but you manage to end the Vitae harvesting on Tihana's home planet by completely releasing the shadow on it, killing everything there and ending all of the suffering.

>> No.78011786

>>78011482
>>78011691
Amnesia was better as a one-off spooky story before it descended into interplanetary alien stuff.

>> No.78011854

>>78011786
It's always BEEN interplanetary alien stuff. Alexander isn't human, nor is he from our reality. As are most of Daniel's 'human' acquaintances. It's the reason they know about vitae or how to gather and process it.

>> No.78011970

>>78011854
No, that's not true. Alexander is specifically alien but others are just humans who learned alchemy/higher science. It's very much something humans can learn and exploit after all.

>> No.78012043

>>78011970
Admittedly, Agrippa and Johann definitely aren't human anymore. The latter especially, given he's thus far shown the greatest degree of personal power out of anything not named the Shadow or the Machine and can manipulate the Orbs without getting Shadow'd himself.

>> No.78013976

>>78009455
Idk I think you missed the entire point of the lodge scenes.

>> No.78014265

>>78009554
Nihilism and hopelessness is a spice in most horror media.
It's there in moments like the girl getting her head taken off in Hereditary, or horror stories where it seems like something more reasonable will happen or good and you get someone you care about dying horribly, or the opposite where the dread is you feel it will happen and it doesn't.
Most things aren't bleak/hopeless in horror media nor are most games.
It's up to the gm how they flavor it.
If you do hopelessness, make it long term and don't start that way.

Bleakness should come when time demands it. You can't pull bleakness forever without it growing stale. I think I've only used it once and that was when my PC's played "A Wizard" and even then, it wasn't hopeless until the players ran out of heals by not retreating during a fight and went up against the wizard without coordinating attacks or etc.
At that point no matter how the dice rolled they were dead. That's when you pull out bleakness.
But never punish hole unless it's foolish like not cutting your losses and running to fight another day.

I.e. in my CoC game, my players get to have victories albeit none are just handed to them. Over time though due to the nature of a campaign and how CoC's math works out, it's clear that eventually they will fail and go nuts.
Yes, they saved Silent Shiver but something I never stated was out of a town of 5,000 , only maybe 300 emerged when the nightmare was reversed. I didn't need to rub it in their faces or thwart them. I didn't need to tell them at the end of The Pale God that a year isn't much to Eihort or that its cult would hunt then until the end of time, that they'd never be truly alone... they've figured that out themselves and those blows will come one day but not today.

Twin Peaks' hopelessness is a surprise. The show and characters don't wallow in it.

>> No.78014302

>>78011786
Can we talk about how scary Justine is?

>> No.78014649

Running Last Things Last again soon for a mostly new group, what are some little touches I can add to keep things fresh

>> No.78014671

>>78014265
Please stop using nihilism and hopelessness interchangeably. For fuck sake, nihilism says *nothing* matters. That isn't a good or bad thing as it means we can create our own values and put values in things. You're thinking of pessimism, which instead of saying nothing has value, says that the value is shit/negative.

>>78014302
The suitors are fucking excellent and some of the best designed horror monsters I've seen in a while. The fact that the three of them have such different attitudes and respond so differently to her treatment is excellent, as is how simple but also how completely ruinious most of their tortures seem to be given their eyes/the wagon wheels around their necks.

>> No.78014743

>>78014649
Add a ladder to the pit that needs one player to hold so another player can go up and down. Means you need people inside and outside of the pit if they want to descend and they need an additional person to hold it/brace it so they can climb in and out. Other things I've done with that scenario
>Made the inside of the cottage have blood/flesh particles/cuff marks on the bed from when the husband tried to live with the spirit initially but realised it wasn't really his wife and so consigned the creature to the septic tank.
>A cowboy who approached them as a member of the Organisation when they arrived at the Lodge; initially he tried to subdue them before revealing he knew about the green triangle and 'realised' they were the Organisation before he helped them out a bit. Faked an injury at the end and stole most of the evidence.

>> No.78015069

>>77959021
Orient Express is wonderful. It’s almost a perfect campaign. Things I especially like...

The set up is great for the system. Easy to bring in new characters when they die or go mad and there is a real sense of continuity.

The flashbacks are a great change of pace that help breach up the campaign.

The one thing I would change is to drop the last chapter. It’s a weak ending and it’s much better to end on the Train with the main Villian summoning the major monster on the train.

>> No.78015211

>>78014743
2 and 3 I get, but why would the players want to actually go down in the tank? The two options seem to be 1)try to kill it either with guns or the gasoline or both at which point it attempts to defend itself or 2) acquiesce to its pathetic cries and pull it out of the tank

>> No.78015537

>>78015211
To investigate. That's what the players I had initially wanted to do. Plus, the existence of the ladder itself will interest them/make them want to descend. it's like having a door in a room; in a system of interactions, they will want to interact with it.

You could also cheat and have the ex-wife chained to a wall or further away from the light so they have to move down there and find her.

>> No.78016139

>>77959280
>>77959211

I'd say shadows of yog-sothoth is closer to Tomb of Horrors considering how hilariously lethal Shadows is. There's an entire adventure that's a pointless side trek soley to kill/severely injure the PCs.

>> No.78016178

>>78015537
I always had the woman come close enough to the hatch that she could clearly be seen with the beam of a flashlight and none of my groups have ever wanted to go down and look closer. Maybe they were just too paranoid

>> No.78017236
File: 99 KB, 541x380, 1567320704517.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>78014265
I like the old saying that a man can only be brave when he's afraid. I want my horror stories to unnerve, unease, and dare I say it spook my players, but I want to see them overcome it, whether they turn into Ripley or Ash or MacReady or are just a heroic surviving side character. I don't want every story to be a total happily ever after and I rarely if ever do it - but that said I kinda draw the line and don't much like when it gets TOO hopeless or overbearingly bad.

Like, no offense to you, but the way you describe your game:
>I didn't need to rub it in their faces or thwart them. I didn't need to tell them at the end of The Pale God that a year isn't much to Eihort or that its cult would hunt then until the end of time, that they'd never be truly alone... they've figured that out themselves and those blows will come one day but not today.
I just can't get behind that. I've seen it before especially in CoC discussions and it just feels like GM dickwaving to me. "My players survived my game, but poor fools, they've only delayed the inevitable! I still win! Muahaha!" is the way I read that. If bad things happen, bad things happen. Failure shouldn't be mitigated (usually). But success shouldn't be mitigated either. The goal of a horror tabletop game, IMO, is not to kill the players or leave them feeling broken, it's to create an engaging story, strong atmosphere, and see how the players overcome the challenges they face. Failure and death happen, sure, but they shouldn't be the inevitable end, and unless you're doing some kind of dramatic oneshot I don't think you should ever end a long, arduous effort by the players with "Well you didn't aaaaackshully win".

My take on horror, especially with RPGs, is it's a good to way depower the characters, to put them into tense and frightening situations, then see how they're then EMpowered to survive and overcome those situations, rather than just depowering the players and beating them down. That's my take on it.

>> No.78017311

>>78014671
The people who "invented" nihilism were extremely pessimistic. I think the term's been worked around by "modern" nihilists in an inaccurate way since the most common critique of it is that finding no meaning in anything is not only gay but also defeats the purpose of even inventing said school of thought.
>nah dude i'm a nihilist you see i don't believe everything's pointless i just believe nothing has a point!

>> No.78017354

>>78014671
>nihilism says *nothing* matters. That isn't a good or bad thing as it means we can create our own values and put values in things
nihilism specifically says nothing matters and nothing is capable of having value because values are meaningless because life is meaningless

>> No.78017398

>>78017311
Everything being pointless inherently means it can be given a point, you've basically said the exact same thing as 'nothing has a point'. For fuck sake, Nietzsche even came up with the ubermensch as a concept of someone who was nihilistic realising he could create his own value system and not necessarily have to follow society's. It is completely different to the work of pessimisitic philosophy like The Last Messiah and Schopenhaeur's pessimism.

>>78017354
It also says that you are free to create or ascribe your own values which is what makes someone an ubermensch; the ability to realise that since there is no meaning present in anything innately, it may be ascribed as one desires. Life is meaningless and one can choose to give it meaning however they want to.

>> No.78017454

>>78017236
And just to give a quick example of what I mean, and I've used it before, The Hills Have Eyes remake, which Wes Craven himself helped make. The main character Doug loses his wife and gets beaten up and captured by mutant cannibals. He's pretty dweeby, he doesn't wanna be there obviously, and he doesn't seem like any kind of hero. Then the movie turns into a full-on revenge thriller as Doug singlehandedly (with a dog) kills most of the mutants, rescues his infant daughter, and escapes with other survivors. It depowers him, beats him down hard, but the way's he then empowered to overcome it is fucking awesome. What starts as a very bleak and grim situation has a happy ending. That's the kinda horror story I prefer running. Not every one should go that way, no, but if the players play smart and roleplay well, they should earn it.

>> No.78017470

>>78017398
It's almost like Nietzsche was a hypocrite who didn't actually put much faith in his edgy philosophy or something.

>> No.78017579

>>78016178
>>78016178
As I said, the ladder being there makes players want to interact with it, moving her further back may make them want to check out what's in the darkness. If you don't want to use the ladder or having her deeper in the darkness, you can always add more evidence of 'abuse' (actually containment methods) and try to have an Outlaw cut them off/trick them with his experience.

I did these two different methods, Outlaw and ladder, and got two very different results
Outlaw:
>He came across one of the Agents, attacked her, got wrestled to the ground
>Realises they’re organisation, hints at being a member of DG before revealing his DG symbol.
>Went with them into the house, helped canvas it.
>They all separated to search it out, he went to the septic tank and fell down 'wounded' after shooting off the lock, making it look like the ricochet hit him.
>None of the players asked to see if the wound was real as Marlene began to speak at this point.
>They dumped the gas on her, lit her up, took her down to two HP and then she leaped up before being put down and falling over 'as a skinless flayed skeleton'.
>At this point, having been put down to 0HP, I ruled if they finished the job by burning the corpse, she'd be dead.
>They don’t
>Check on Outlaw
>He’s fine, stolen evidence and just stabbed out their care tires
>Suggests they ‘go get her’
>Three players to turn around
>See the skinless body sprinting out into the wood.
They eventually managed to chase her down and kill her.

>> No.78017598

>>78017579
(cont).

Ladder:
>Proceeds as normal until the ladder
>3 agents again.
>One agent held the ladder, the other descended and the third had the gasoline in one hand and his gun in the other, ready.
>The three of them all freak out when Marlene appears but she's peaceful and talkative and tries to beg for freedom.
>Have a back and forth on whether to kill her or not, *in* front of her
>Eventually she decides that things are looking bad so after they tell her they have to kill her, she *leaps* up to them
>Guy with the fire can flings it forward; because he had it ready, I let him throw and light it simultaneously so he has a chance
>Instead kills the guy holding the ladder and somehow completely misses her
>She fights him, kills him while the guy in the ground desperately tries to line the ladder up on the slimy floor/side of the septic tank so he can climb out
>gets it ready just as Marlene kills the second agent before she kicks the ladder into the pit.
>Laughs, says she’ll leave him for a bit, slams the tank shut.
Annnnnnnnnnd it ended there. Both sessions were really good for their players; the first set of players and I keep doing campaigns to this day online and the second group were a uni crowd who spent weeks doing Music from A Darkened Room and had a blast doing so.

>> No.78017620

>>78017470
How is encouraging people to place value in what is personally important to them 'edgy', especially if it's a way of them being able to revaluate what they want and what they are for.

>> No.78018090

>>78017454
That's an awesome example, a rare remake that holds up with the original.
Any other horror movies like that which have a protaganist fight on to the bitter end?

>> No.78018290

>>78018090
The Thing, Aliens, The Crazies remake, original Evil Deads, Wrong Turn 1 and 2, Dusk Till Dawn, the original of the Deads, Halloween 1 and 2, anything with Tommy Jarvis in FTT. All of those have great badass protags come out on top in the end, albeit with varying levels of how overall happy the ending itself is. Dawn of the Dead remake is good too, but the supporting characters are more of that fighting survivor role than the main girl.

>> No.78018357

>>78017236
It's not exactly dickwaving when killing an elder god, the real source of the threat is outright impossible.

You're missing the point which is they still get that arc but the fight is never over.
I'm never encouraging them to not fight on to the bitter end.

You're missing the entire point of what I said because I used two words.
> but if the players play smart and roleplay well, they should earn it.
Is exactly the fucking point. They do have to earn it and as a result I make every victory feel like they BARELY made it.

>> No.78018405

>>78018357
That there has to be a bitter end is the part me and you disagree on.

>> No.78018879

>>78017236
>. But success shouldn't be mitigated either. The goal of a horror tabletop game, IMO, is not to kill the players or leave them feeling broken, it's to create an engaging story, strong atmosphere, and see how the players overcome the challenges they face. Failure and death happen, sure, but they shouldn't be the inevitable end, and unless you're doing some kind of dramatic oneshot I don't think you should ever end a long, arduous effort by the players with "Well you didn't aaaaackshully win".
This is just a normal TTRPG game you're describing except you're splattering horror imagery on it
>"My players survived my game, but poor fools, they've only delayed the inevitable! I still win! Muahaha!"
This is you being a fucking weirdo. GMs are GMs. They can't 'win'. Anyone who thinks like that is being a That GM. The fact you're even thinking many people have that mindset is fucking weird.

>My take on horror, especially with RPGs, is it's a good to way depower the characters, to put them into tense and frightening situations, then see how they're then EMpowered to survive and overcome those situations, rather than just depowering the players and beating them down. That's my take on it.
I could get this feeling in any DnD game where the players wake up in prison, without equipment. That's basically what you're describing when you talk like this. You could do it in any setting and you're stripping yourself of the unique attractiveness of the horror genre by making it this generic.

>> No.78018904

>>78018290
Hereditary has the brother continue to resist as long as he can. Same with The Invisible Man, Upgrade and things like The Collector.

>> No.78018946

>>78018879
>The fact you're even thinking many people have that mindset is fucking weird.
You'd be surprised how many people think running a system like CoC means they're obligated to kill the PCs and 'win' the scenario and if they don't then it's not true Lovecraft. Mostly redditards but still.

>> No.78019036

>>78018946
I know that. What I don't get is why you assume that that means fucking everyone who doesn't innately want a happy ending in a horror game feels that way because they want to 'win'.

It's an RPG. I can 'win' any time I want if I'm the DM. That's not what I'm going for when I go for a bleak or downer ending.

>> No.78019180

>>78019036
>>I didn't need to rub it in their faces or thwart them. I didn't need to tell them at the end of The Pale God that a year isn't much to Eihort or that its cult would hunt then until the end of time, that they'd never be truly alone... they've figured that out themselves and those blows will come one day but not today.
That kinda comes off in the way 'I won, PCs actually lost' sounds.

>> No.78019286

>>78019180
Bollocks, that's just "The Dunwich Horror" when they acknowledge at the end that Azathoth is still totally unaffected, there's more Necronomicons out there and there's more cultists too. It's the exact same idea; the threat is still there, it can still happen at any time and it's still going to be a problem that has to be dealt with.

>> No.78019418

>>78019286
The Dunwich Horror wasn't a game people play with presumed agency over its outcome. And you can still do an ending where shit's not over yet but still have the triumph feel meaningful. True Detective ends with them acknowledging there's sickos out there and they could never stop every one of them, but they can stop a lot of them and that's worth it. "Once there was only dark - if you ask me the light's winning."

You don't have to take that situation and then just gut it with "btw you guys didn't win the cult/azathoth/whoever doesn't actually care that they lost they have a billion more cursed books and cult members to spare you didn't even cause a microscopic setback lol". It feels extremely cheap.

>> No.78019595

>>78016139
I'd say only the section "the worm that walks" is that lethal. It's still not tomb of horrors tier it just has a few things that can slaughter PC's. From players I've read though that adds to it in it adds a kind of Gothic horror feel where anyone can go at any time.

>> No.78019627

>>78019180
Fuck you my PC's are having fun.

>> No.78019812
File: 40 KB, 500x544, 7178760925c9e83ded7d57e179a23c1d--zombie-movies-horror-films.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>78019180
>>78018946
>>78018405
This shit is why i don't fucking like you dude who shits on any idea of eventual hopelessness. You assume a shitton about my game off stereotypes of CoC DM's that you regurgitate every thread and beat it like a strawman. Who hurt you? Why don't you ever talk about how you run games but instead just talk about how much you hate "X" GM type?

I DON'T kill my players off. We've had a single PC death in the entire year of my CoC campaign. They've earned this. I avoid killing them off because it means it lets you stretch the horror out as their lives slowly fall apart over time. THAT is more interesting and far scarier than Splat-ing any PC "becuz edgy and PC's need to die every time a monster shows up".
My PC's didn't lose or it wasn't "they actually lost" they still succeeded in the capacity that they could and that's the important part. They still "won". Why don't you fucking get this?

I have NEVER had a "bleak" or "downer" ending like that in my game, they've just had realizations that the fight isn't over and that it might never be over. They've never truly "failed" a scenario, the closest they had was in The Condemned the Shoggoth got summoned and killed like six cops, or them never visiting Andrea Pentargon and as a result the mob took her out and they find her grizzled body.
Nobody gets to walk off into the sunset once they win because the work isn't done. It will probably never be done. Fighting an elder god/cultists is like "fighting crime" or "fighting injustice" you don't just be done with it at some point and then go to a ranch and retire. You get too old and worn out and have to stop or die trying to keep going.

MY PC's still BEAT Silent Shiver, they still BEAT The Pale god, (they technically failed Dead Man Stomp but they got the trumpet so the outcome wasn't that bad) they BEAT The Condemned.
And they fought, they never just "gave up" because shit was bad.
You're pulling this out your ass I want my PC's to win.

>> No.78019837

>>78019812
>I want my PC's to win.
>I avoid killing them off because it means it lets you stretch the horror out as their lives slowly fall apart over time.
And this is why I disagree with you, or maybe just misunderstand you, because you say you want your PCs to win while you previously say you run things a specific way to "watch their lives slowly fall apart."

>> No.78019838

>>78014671
also their cocks are out.

>> No.78020064

New thread, get in here when you're ready.
>>78019976
>>78019976
>>78019976

>> No.78020182
File: 69 KB, 775x837, scaredrust.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>78019837
This is my problem with you is we never seem to be arguing the same things.

I know you love the idea of fighting through here's the issue though: John Mcclaine isn't going to live through Die Hard without trauma, he's not going to live through killing this many people without it haunting him in some way without serious denial. Violence and awful things in real life fuck people up and over time that adds up.
That's the true horror, that they may win the battle but it's going to ruin their life over time.
That they are going to lose their loved ones.
That's the cost of saving humanity, losing yourself in slow chunks or dying outright.
That's what Sanity is.
The scientists in "The Dunwich Horror" didn't walk away with nothing changed and a feeling entirely of happiness and having won, they saw something that would stick with them for the rest of their lives.
And when they die or go nuts, new people will take their place.
That's the entire purpose of Delta Green's "Bonds" system is to simulate both clinging to people to not go nuts and losing them as you change.

The guy at the end of The Hills Have eyes will never be the same after that, he's lost several members of his family and maybe he's a "badass" but he doesn't walk away from that the same. He needs therapy.

You can win the battle and survive but there's going to be scars. That's the way I run the way I run.
Call of Cthulhu Sanity system is built to simulate a downward spiral. You don't get stronger in CoC you get weaker, even if you win battles because some people find it fun to roleplay going nuts and having bad things happen to them. That's the point of Sanity.

It's not D&D where you level up and get stronger, you survive and get better at skills but lose control of yourself as you know more. That's just the game.
You can win a lot of fights but being a Cthulhu Investigator isn't a joy it's a curse. Even Buffy the vampire slayer touched on this and I treat it the same way with CoC.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action