Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 1011 KB, 1800x1138, DSC_07013.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
75692402 No.75692402 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

- Absolutely no potatoes, corn, or tomatoes. Those come from the new world.
- No burgers or sandwiches either. The logistics for storing the ingredients didn't exist yet.
- Peasant food was bland, unseasoned, and overcooked. Peasants cared about sustenance and safe meals, not a culinary experience.
- The most common food was gruel or frumenty with stale, moldy bread as sops.
- Inns served "perpetual stew," basically a pot of bland broth with turnips, radishes, offal, and cheap meats tossed into it. It tasted awful, but was filling.
- Even if the peasants got a hold of pork or beef, it was always left unseasoned and then boiled. They didn't know how to roast beef or pork.
- Only nobles and priests could afford any spices at all.
- For nobles or priests, the most extravagant meal was chicken. This is because eggs were very valuable, and to toss away a chicken just to cook it was a sign of luxury.
- If you do a Google Image Search for "medieval food," basically everything you see there is NOT peasant food. It's food for nobles and priests.

>> No.75692449

Why should I care?

>> No.75692465

>>75692402
>the new world.
The what?

>> No.75692475

>>75692402
>The logistics for storing the ingredients didn't exist yet.
You know there are wizards you mong.
>Those come from the new world.
What is this new world, the entire mulriverse has been explored.
>Inns served "perpetual stew," basically a pot of bland broth with turnips, radishes, offal, and cheap meats tossed into it. It tasted awful, but was filling.
You keep speaking as though this is some sort of historical event, but D&D isn't real.

>> No.75692482

>>75692402
That's real cool and all but all of this is extremely subjective. Can you provide a map with explanations of your justifications for these claims when applied to a fantasy setting? Of the many setting of Dungeons and Dicklets, surely there are exceptions. And, of course, not everywhere is 1:1 with medieval Europe in terms of culture and climate. Mostly I'm thinking this could affect the availability of spices. Additionally, the use of magic to preserve and transport items on a smaller scale could dramatically reduce prices and change the nature of many things you list here.

>> No.75692513

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yI9B60OCBN3mKGb7ND_xJ0rzk0vae8pMv6R7uqkstck/edit?usp=drivesdk

Rate my WIP Homebrew

>> No.75692519

Just cook it yourself. Peasant food is stupid easy to make.

>> No.75692565

>>75692465
D&D only exists in pre-colonial Europe, apparently. It's important that in a game about dragons and liches we consider that the Americas haven't been discovered. It would be factually inaccurate.
Make sure to throw out studded leather, flails, and elven chain mail, too. Everyone knows that elves never picked up blacksmithing the way we know it now. The idea that they'd make chain better than other races who actually mine is pure fantasy.

>> No.75692576

>>75692402
You do realize that there are spices from Europe right? You also do realize that it's a FANTASY game and in FANTASY games 99% of PCs are wealthy enough to just straight up ignore all your rules through magic or just being able to flat out afford expensive foods. The only people who the majority of these rules apply to are literal, actual, peasants, which no one fucking cares about.

>> No.75692617

>>75692565
Man I remember when the first mind flayers visited the Americas. Though of course it wasn't really new to them since the Aboleths already knew about them a long, LONG time ago. And of course the merfolk had been trading with people on both sides of the ocean for thousands of years so people were vaguely aware there was another continent, except for the wizards who'd just teleport there on weekends

>> No.75692703

>>75692402
Burgers could exist if you tried hard enough. There's no technological barrier preventing someone from freshly slaughtering a cow, putting it in a bun, and serving it with cheese and lettuce.

>> No.75692716

>>75692703
Listen, if it didn't happen in our universe in the past, how could it happen in a completely alien one?

>> No.75692759

>>75692475
>the entire mulriverse has been explored.
Then there's no mystery and wonder to your setting, brainlet.

You'd know this if you actually played games.

>> No.75692805

>>75692402
Nine good reasons to not play D&D. Oh wait, ten, because apparently OP plays it and you don't want to chance having to play with that faggot.

>> No.75692840

>>75692716
That logic is just completely backwards. Like seriously I have never seen shittier logic in my life. You're literally saying "If it didn't happen in our past with conditions A, B and C being true, then why would it happen in a world where conditions X,Y,and Z were true instead?" You're arguing that everything would happen the same way when all the starting conditions were different.

>> No.75692849

>>75692402
i know we're on 4chan but you can't seriously be this autistic

>> No.75692864

>>75692849
Some people are legitimately too dumb for fantasy. It's actually pretty sad. They're so lacking in the imagination department that the only "Fantasy" they can comprehend is a warped version of the past that's based fully of what they know about it, and their many, many misconceptions of it.

>> No.75692873

>>75692402
>implying I haven’t been getting away with poaching the landowner’s deer for generations because we have an understanding and he’s not a total cunt
>imagining I don’t know how to roast that shit on a spit or make sausage
>envisioning that I don’t have bread, THE ubiquitous peasant food, and stick that venison between pieces of it to make a better tasting and hearty sandwich that your modern ass will ever be graced to dine upon
>hallucinating that mashed turnip wasn’t on every table and functionally the same as mashed potatoes
>deluding that simply cooked, garden fresh food that’s never been refrigerated, shipped, warehoused, and artificially tampered with isn’t manna compared to all modern trash slathered in “spices” that originally served strictly to preserve and make tolerable the taste of rot that cityshits had to deal with
Every Englishman could fell game with a bow and did so in a world where you couldn’t spit without hitting more good, available game animals than modern man has ever dreamt of.
>implying the Ranger class isn’t more common than Fighter in places that count

>> No.75692880
File: 6 KB, 275x183, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
This whole post is intense bait, but I must point this out.
>Inns served "perpetual stew," basically a pot of bland broth with turnips, radishes, offal, and cheap meats tossed into it. It tasted awful, but was filling.

THE BBEG FEARS THE PERPETUAL STEW COOK

>> No.75692883

nah. one of the best games i ran was one where the party spent half the session in Ye Olde Red Lobster.

>> No.75692890

>>75692864
i'm going to put fried chicken in my settings now just for you

>> No.75692903

>>75692883
I remember when I was a kid my family went to a Red Lobster and waited for 45 minutes but the staff forgot we were waiting for a table, so we checked and they wanted us to wait more so we left. I wouldn't call it one of my best times, so I can't really feel you.

>> No.75692944

>>75692880
sort of related, but i just found out about all these hongkong restaurants that use "master stock" which is kind of a similar concept except apparently really good. spices, etc that are used to fry meat and put back into their pots for next time, with some restaurants boasting about having really old stocks still in use. i think it's kind of like a starter dough in baking.

idk, it just sounded like a sidequest to throw a party after a particularly gruesome or grim adventure. filler-like, but my group at least seems to appreciate going episodic every so often.

>> No.75692953

>>75692890
There is no reason you can't. Flour, bread crumbs, oil and chicken are all things that have existed for thousands of years. Would it be something out of reach for commoners? Yes, of course. Would that matter for PCs? No. All the rules that OP lined out basically only apply to them. The average income of a commoner is something like 1 sliver per month in DnD (I think that's being generous too) but a level 1 adventurer can make 100 times that in a day by risking their hide killing skeletons or some shit. Who gives a shit what the PCs eat? As long as they have access to the ingredients, there's a lot of "Modern" dishes that they could be cramming down their gullets. Fried chicken is just a simpler one, and probably a good way to flex on peasants since you can afford to eat chicken on the regular. Or even more exotic shit like fried Cockatrice or who knows?

>> No.75692955

People in 200 years will look back at our modern “fine dining” at laugh their asses off.

>> No.75692984

>>75692944
It's the soup of theseus. You started with a pot of chicken stock, but as you cook it soaks up all the flavor of the spices and veggies, but then you run out of the stuff inside the soup so you toss in more, which lets it soak in even more. Eventually you run out of the actual watery bit but that's no problem since you can just toss more water in the pot.

>> No.75693003

>>75692953
You’re getting somewhere, anon. Moar horrifyingly delicious faux-modern dishes like Lord-Mage Sander’s Greyhawk Fried Cockatrice, please. PCs have to quest for the Seven Herbs and the Half-Dozen Spices Plus One.

>> No.75693019

>>75692402
>they didn't know how to roast beef or pork
please tell me you aren't actually this fucking dull, people have roasted meats over fires longer than we've boiled them

>the new world
>in a fantasy universe

>peasant food was shit
it wasn't as shit as people think it was, they actually ate healthy meals that tasted good, not slop

>> No.75693051

>>75692402
you fags have finally moved from the local lord bait?
also
>Peasant food was bland, unseasoned, and overcooked. Peasants cared about sustenance and safe meals, not a culinary experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeVcey0Ng-w&ab_channel=ModernHistoryTV

>> No.75693057

>>75693003
The only time I'd complain about a dish being in a game is if it's something that the person legitimately should not have access to (IE if I'm running a game that takes place in sorta-europe before the kinda new world was discovered that means no potatoes, tomatos or chilis) But I'm also the DM so that means I get to decide who has access to what. If your character's heard legends of some strange form of boiled bread they eat in the east, then there's no reason they can't go on a quest to get some pasta. Hell, depending on your group a culinary focused adventure could be fun. Start off small cataloging the recipies and flavors of the place near where you started and as you get higher and level you get to eat more exotic and expensive dishes.

>> No.75693094

>>75692984
My teacher used to tell us a story about something like that, stone soup. Old man goes into a poor town and raises the peasant's spirits by offering to make them stone soup. He boils water, tosses a rock in and waits. He tastes it, asks someone to just spare a little bit of salt "to get it just right". Rinse and repeat, more people start offering what little they have and getting hyped up for this soup, and by the end its really tasty and fulfilling.

>> No.75693118

Perpetual stew is made up bullshit by the way.

>> No.75693128

>>75693118
do not care

>> No.75693152

>his setting consists of real life fruits and vegetables
Yeesh.

>> No.75693339

>>75693118
Not when magic is involved

>> No.75693397

>>75693051
This guy does horrifically bad and biased research. Don't listen to him.

>> No.75693409

>>75693118
[citation needed]

>> No.75693410

>>75693094
The version I heard as a kid it was a one nail added to the water. Plus all the stuff the townsfolk provided. But I know the stone soup version is widespread.

>> No.75693414

>>75693128
Didn’t ask.

>> No.75693430
File: 762 KB, 1254x836, buffet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
From now on, every meal will look like this

>> No.75693479

>>75692402
>The most common food was gruel or frumenty with stale, moldy bread as sops.
Are you saying that peasants didn't know how to bake bread or something? You're an idiot.

>> No.75693703

>>75693118
I like to take recipes from Townsend and Son's youtube channel. Relatively old but modern enough to not be boring. Also considering the very losely described technological era in my DnD settings it's not very far fetched.

>> No.75693775

>>75692402
>- Peasant food was bland, unseasoned, and overcooked. Peasants cared about sustenance and safe meals, not a culinary experience.
>- The most common food was gruel or frumenty with stale, moldy bread as sops.
>- Inns served "perpetual stew," basically a pot of bland broth with turnips, radishes, offal, and cheap meats tossed into it. It tasted awful, but was filling.
>- Even if the peasants got a hold of pork or beef, it was always left unseasoned and then boiled. They didn't know how to roast beef or pork.
>- Only nobles and priests could afford any spices at all.

Nonesense. Pure abject nonsense. While they wouldn't be big users of the expensive spices imported from Africa and Asia, they had plenty access to onions, sage, mustard, parsley, mint, fennel, dill, salt, etc were available.

Roast meat with mustard was considered peasant food by Hildegard of Bingen

>> No.75693810

>>75693414
cope

>> No.75693827

>>75692565
also cultural appropriation is racist. Milk boys can't eat stuff from poc land

>> No.75693850

>>75692759
Mystery and wonder is only important to dipshits, who don't have games. Players don't want to document flora and fuana they want to stab enemies.
It's not my setting I don't work for Wizards of the Coast.

>> No.75693854

>>75692703
>>75692716
Points to consider:
1. Ground meats have been a thing since well past 2500 BC. Sausages especially have a substantially long history among many walks of life, across many cultures. Meatballs and meatloaf both are attested in ancient Roman and Chinese writings.
2. Breadmaking is literally prehistoric, being made before humans could even write. Even sourdough is so ancient that it predates the First Dynasty of Egypt. Pre-sliced bread though was invented on July 6, 1928, so don't start demanding wonderbread, murrlogic.
3. Cheese likewise is prehistoric, and is mentioned numerous times in actual written record, everything from taxes to recipes to even the goddamn Odyssey. Pliny the fucking Elder devotes two chapters of his book Natural History entirely on cheese. In addition, Cheddar, Parmesan, Mozzarella, and what is today called "Swiss" cheese all have their origins in the 1500s or earlier.
4. Lettuce originated in fucking ancient Egypt again, and was even the signature plant of a god with a perpetual boner, Min. It was grown throughout the Mediterranean by the late Roman Republic. So you better believe these boner-leaves were something people dined on since those times.
5. Mustard is something that existed in the goddamn Indus Valley civilization. Even the word "mustard" comes from fucking Latin, meaning the Romans used this stuff.

What does all this mean? Not only could it have been possible to make a meal with a round boule or breadroll, a flattened patty of meat (be it cow, chicken, goat, fucking bear for all I care), a type of easy-melting cheese, and goddamn lettuce, you could also have a long breadroll with a sausage in it and some toppings like mustard, onions, garum, or even mushroom ketchup. There is literally nothing preventing your players from having a goddamn cheeseburger and/or hot dog if they so desire. And if your setting is incapable of providing such things, it is not a setting worth playing.

>> No.75693863

>>75692402
As long as I get my fucking macaroni.

>> No.75693864

>>75693397
the dude is an obe that cites his sources. you're a nobody on 4channel

>> No.75693866

My game is set in 1960s America and now I've decided that I will follow all of OP's tips.

>>75693118
Considering that we have modern accounts of perpetual stew I think you're the one who's bullshitting me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfgS2N5yIDQ

>> No.75693883

>>75692840
Wait, are you saying that OP is a faggot?

>> No.75693906

>>75693810
Dilate. Or is it seethe next? Fuck!

>> No.75693916

>>75692402
Show me where my setting has the word "Europe" in it.

>> No.75693918

>>75693906
Seethe, the Dialateless

>> No.75693921

>>75692402
Sorry, but that's mostly bullshut and urban myths. Yes stuff like pork was expensive but they didn't just eat gruel. If anything the lowdown classes diet was healthier than the nobles as it consisted of stuff like fresh fish and veg over pastries and unhealthy but expensive stuff. Obviously some will have eaten badly but it certainly wasn't the rule.

>> No.75693927

What are the Greyhawk, Ebberon and FR versions of tendies brought by mommy?

>> No.75693929

>>75693916
>He didn't name a random noblewoman "Europa"
Shiggy diggy

>> No.75693932

>>75693863
Not in a medieval setting. OP wouldn't allow that.
Personally I think that's just straight up heresy and pasta should ALWAYS be on the table. Though if you want you might have to go on a grand expedition to obtain the recipe

>> No.75693938

Surely if it was so widespread we should have some historical accounts you can muster up no problemo. Give me somethin' here that isn't some third world guy pretending he has some ancient soup or some other chef who claims it's a perpetual stew while cleaning it out every night and only transferring over a single cup of yesterdays soup.

>> No.75693947

>>75693929
I assure you that while europa exists, and is a woman, she is by no means noble.

>> No.75693948

>>75693409
Meant to reply here

>> No.75693960

>>75693866
So modern accounts? We have modern accounts for hamburgers and cellphones, that does not mean people did it in the past.

>> No.75693962

>>75692402
who the fuck said quasimedieval fantasy is necessarilly european, you jackass,
but more important NEARLY EVERY SINGLE FUCKING THING YOU SAID IS FACTUALLY WRONG

how the fuck do you morons think, “yeah, I know this stuff, aithoritatively enough to make declarative statements” when you’ve clearly never been within sight of a history book in your entire dumbfuck life?

did you derive this bullshit from like, hollywood movies or what?
genuinely, what gave you the impression you knew the slightest fucking thing about medieval food culture?

>> No.75693969

>>75693938
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_stew

>> No.75693972

>>75692864
^ this

>> No.75693981

>>75693866
Also look into this chef's account. He cleans out the entire stew every night and then only transfers over a small amount, hardly the perpetual stew everyone claims.

>> No.75693988

Some good videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeVcey0Ng-w

>> No.75694002

>>75693864
Not all sources are good.

>> No.75694041

>>75692402
This is cheap, tasteless bait, fitting only at a peasant's table in OP's homebrew setting.

>> No.75694062

peas porridge hot
peas porridge cold
peas porridge in the pot
nine days old

>> No.75694067

>>75693969
Some of the most garbage sources I've ever seen and 6 of them, wow, sounds like a real historical staple that we have vast accounts of. I'm convinced

>> No.75694113

>>75693981
>>75693960
He transfers it to a different pot where it simmers overnight while they wash the main pot. Also there are modern accounts of perpetual soup from the 1400s. You absolute retard.

>> No.75694121

>>75694113
Then show me the accounts! It's that easy, bud

>> No.75694131

>>75694113
Or do you mean the NYT freelancer article from 1980's claiming such an account supposedly exist

>> No.75694148

>>75692402
My games are set in a renaissance setting rather than a medieval one.

>> No.75694172

>>75694113
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/11/03/772030934/soups-on-and-on-thai-beef-noodle-brew-has-been-simmering-for-45-years also here is the NPR article where the man himself says and I quote "We remove the soup from the pot, then keep a little bit simmering overnight." LITTLE BIT

>> No.75694177

>>75694113
Not really the same thing by a long shot then.

>> No.75694179

>>75693775
Obligatory reminder that lobster used to be considered so disgusting that it was illegal to feed it to your slaves more than a couple of days a week.

And they were right about that, by the way.

>> No.75694183

>>75694067
It cites a couple of academics and you cite literally nothing.

>> No.75694193

>>75694179
There's some debate about how true that particular piece is, but ya definitely was not popular. I'm just guessing, but I would bet it's because they weren't bringing back live lobster, so you'd have these long dead ocean bugs and likely with some of the shell mixed in because who is gonna deshell a lobster properly for prisoners.

>> No.75694213

>>75694183
Do you understand how making claims works? You are the one who has to present evidence for your claims

>> No.75694236

>>75694183
Point to me which of these sources are academics

>> No.75694258

most of the bad food, bad hygiene, bad rights, bad water and such we associate with the medieval period actually belong to later periods

>> No.75694295

Bro, i got you OP.
thats right, most of food was not spiced with what we think as spices.
They used however many differrent herbs and salt (salt was expensive but not as much that commoners wouldnt afford).
I don't know english names and i dont care but find latin. Rumex L., horseradish, trigonella, linum( seeds), minth, juniper and many, many other.

Food for a journey was often smoked/dried meat or fish, dry kinds of cheese and simple cakes, sometimes made at home, but often you would just take some flour with you, mix it with water and bake on the fireplace on heated rock

>> No.75694304

>>75694295
People also just baked bread in the ash of a fire itself. And these were called, unsurprisingly, ashcakes

>> No.75694333

>>75692955
They will find gross we just didn't have worm gruel and sojanoodles

>> No.75694397

>>75694177
>>75694172
>>75694131
>>75694121
Chill out, retard

>> No.75694470

>>75692840
Anon, the guy you're replying to is being sarcastic, although OP is definitely a faggot.

>> No.75694473

>>75692402
Look, I gotta ask: Why would my party give a shit? You know what my PCs eat?
Rations.

>> No.75694477

>>75692465
tpbp

Both Faerun and Golarion historically had potatoes, tomatoes and tobacoes. But no onions.

>> No.75694562

>>75693854
Good post anon

>> No.75694565

>>75693962
It's just the local lord/full harness guy finding a slightly different topic to be a faggot over. Don't worry about it.

>> No.75694570

>>75692402

>Peasant food was bland, unseasoned, and overcooked

Blatantly false, just look at most old recipes of culinary tradition.

>Even if the peasants got a hold of pork or beef, it was always left unseasoned and then boiled. They didn't know how to roast beef or pork

False, roasting was a very well known procedure. The most common way to cook meat however, was boiling it (or alternatively, smoking or salting)

>Only nobles and priests could afford any spices at all

Flase. Some spices were outrageously costly, true, but there are A LOT of seasonings that poor people could grow themselves and use.

>For nobles or priests, the most extravagant meal was chicken.

False. The same exact reasoning could be applied to cows or goats. Some of the most refined dishes were shows of wealth, like peacocks with all their feathers plucked then glued back once the bird was cooked.
Also goose, since some part of the goose are known in various places (italy afaik as "the priest delight)

TL;DR: OP is an amerimutt with no idea on how medieval society worked except for his pop science pages

>> No.75694604

>>75692402
>EVERY fantasy world is Medieval Europe
Holy fuck I can't understand how you dipshits don't comprehend that games take place in a different fucking reality, not only on a different planet, but with different physical laws and fucking MAGIC even.

I'm not saying to shirk verisimilitude, but you people are ignorant and fuck and pathetic to boot. If you want to run some game in literally medieval europe, run your fucking game in literally medieval europe, but Faerun isn't like that, dumb prick.

>> No.75694704
File: 1.66 MB, 2200x1606, Feldyn's Recipes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
>- Absolutely no potatoes, corn, or tomatoes. Those come from the new world.

In Forgotten Realms, 150 years prior to the current D&D edition's campaign date, potatoes were 20 gold per pound, and spreading like mad in the setting.
A dry pint of tomatoes at the same time period were 10 gold per.
Both were available to just about anywhere on the sword coast, sold by a shop based out of Waterdeep.
That same company also sells most spices for copper pieces, with very few that go into the cost of silver or gold.

The attached pages are examples of Tavern food from about 140 years ago.

In D&D food should be varied and interesting, just based off of the default setting.

>> No.75694705

>>75694570
Then why did they always boil meat?

>> No.75694768

>>75692953
Fried chicken actually did exist in medieval times. Apicius De Re Coquinaria, the first cookbook in the Western world and the standard from the first to eleventh centuries AD, has a recipe for fried chicken, though it was not breaded. Doesn't seem like that much of a leap to add breading to it.

>> No.75694780

>>75694705

Boiling up meat is logistically simpler. You'd cook up an entire meal in a cauldron or pot, throwing in veg as well. You didn't need to have an oven, and you didn't need to pay as much attention to the food as it cooked (give it an occasional stir, maybe top up the water if it is boiling off too fast) allowing you to do other jobs at the same time.

>> No.75694783

>>75694768
I really should pick up a translation of that book. Or the Forme of Cury

>> No.75694799

>>75694705

Boiling meat acts as seasoning for a broth or soup. Glutammate is one hell of a drug

>> No.75694809
File: 215 KB, 780x300, RomanBurger6v2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692703
Romans did have a burger, called Isicia Omentata. It's minced meat, garum (insanely popular Roman fish sauce), pepper, juniper berries, coriander, and pine nuts pressed into a patty, cooked, then put inside a split open flatbread. Recipe was by an unknown author who wrote a cookbook titled Apicius. They were sold at thermopolia, essentially a fastfood shop in Roman towns and cities where workers got a quick lunch, and it was probably higher-end depending of if you used the pepper, juniper, and coriander or other spices or not.

>> No.75694818

>>75694809
Oooh! If I can get ahold of some garum (Or failing that Colatura di Alici) I'll have to try that. Definitely sounds interesting

>> No.75694825

>>75693863
14th century macaroni and cheese recipe anon, here you go.
http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/grec6.htm

>> No.75694836

>>75692402
>Even if the peasants got a hold of pork or beef, it was always left unseasoned and then boiled. They didn't know how to roast beef or pork.
Oh! the Roast Beef of old England,
And old English Roast Beef!

>> No.75694865

Sometimes I want to make a fantasy setting that uses a lot of New World crops that are less common in the modern world, to see if anyone complains about them or just thinks they're something I made up. I think they're probably too casual to realize that mashua root is a contemporary of the potato and equally out of place in a European fantasy setting.

>> No.75694884

>>75694865
Ban all tubers.

>> No.75694945

>>75694884
Only the ones making vlogs and elsagate shit.

>> No.75695107 [DELETED] 

Amazing. I just got a warning for telling a frogposter to fuck off, an yet historical realismfag threads are allowed to proliferate like broccoli.

Alright, to try and salvage something from this 4 star CF, does anyone know enough about the ACTUAL setting of D&D to know what they eat, and whether there's an expie of the New World, and if there's been any trade, colonisation, or exploration?

I think there's pipes, is it tobacco, pipeweed, habafropzipulops, or what?

>> No.75695150
File: 74 KB, 475x475, 718D9710-8A4D-4D89-B1BD-165420993DEC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75694193
My father in law told me that when he was a kid in NYC, lobster was like a bologna sandwich is today and his broke-ass family sent him to school with it in his lunch. This caused him to get mocked for being poor. They really were ocean bugs and not too far removed from catfish or pigeon. Yes, I am a 40 year old boomer.

>>75694213
You’re the one making extraordinary claims and trying to argue with the default, accepted belief. Including retardedly trying to contradict people with infinitely more cred than you.
Wait...what are your credentials, again? Surely not just some absolutely random dumbfuck who is to be instantly and utterly disregarded, right?

>> No.75695161

>>75694705
They didn’t, dimwit.

>> No.75695177

>>75695150
Solid non-argument, rock solid.

>> No.75695193

>>75695177
Thanks for your concession, literally who. Perpetual stew stands as fact, and every point OP tried to make is blown absolutely the fuck out. Back to critical role twitter you go, little one. Don’t try to reply, you’re filtered :)

>> No.75695197

>>75695150
But sure https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/perpetual-stew-history-recipes-myth here is a historian agreeing, idk why you're so bent about preserving the historicity of fucking stew of all things

>> No.75695200

>>75695177
lol got your shit pushed in there huh faglord? come up with at least one source next time

>> No.75695202

>>75695193

This is the most reddit comment I've ever read

>> No.75695215

>>75695197
Stew is ahistorical. It was invented on December 5th 1981 by Tim Stew when he accidentally boiled soup for too long. It was named after his friend Stuart cause he was the only one brave enough to eat it

>> No.75695245

>>75695200
Your seething isnt gonna make perpetual stew real.

>> No.75695247

>>75695215
> Tim Stew
> Named after his friend Stuart
Got a chuckle out of me.

>> No.75695250

>>75694193
>>75695150
Many forms of current gourmet dishes originated as folk cuisine - and as such they used to be cheap, simple, highly available grub for plebs. Professional cooks mostly came from underclass, and experimented with their old peasant momma's ingredients and recipes but with better quality of everything involved (plux more complex cooking process) to produce something new to impress their high-class masters or customers.

Every other expensive gourmet dish in existence is something that was once staple pleb chow, only made with high quality ingredients by more qualified chefs, and then overpriced to hell and back. And if the original pleb chow went out of fashion for some reason, it creates a contrast where what was originally too pleb for classy tables becomes too classy for pleb tables, like it happened with a lot of crustaceans and molluscs.

>> No.75695319

>>75695215
Yeah but is there was not a perpetual stew.

Just think:
>Using all the wood and have one person watch the fire eternally
>The moment the fire drop off or if the fire is not high enough, the bacteria are gonna come a fuck your food.

>> No.75695349

>>75695319

Heat-resistant bacteria would fuck it up anyway

>> No.75695394

>>75692402
Wrong. Not a single bit true.

>> No.75695397

>>75692402
>- Peasant food was bland, unseasoned, and overcooked. Peasants cared about sustenance and safe meals, not a culinary experience.

WRONG

>> No.75695410

>>75692402
>- Peasant food was bland, unseasoned, and overcooked.
Just because it's not sugared and salted to hell and back doesn't mean it's not tasty, you fat-ass 'murrican you.

>- The most common food was gruel or frumenty
Correct.
>- with stale, moldy bread as sops.
Bread was eaten either fresh from the oven or very, very, VERY stale. So stale it cold not grow moldy - without modern conservation-oriented recipes mold can turn a loaf of bread into green-ish paste in a matter of a day or two - so it was either eaten ASAP, or intentionally dried into hard biscuits.

>- Inns served "perpetual stew," basically a pot of bland broth with turnips, radishes, offal, and cheap meats tossed into it. It tasted awful, but was filling.
It's not necessarily awful - though medieval setting does imply generally lower quality of cooks and ingredients. But that makes skilled cooks and good cooking stand out more.

>- Even if the peasants got a hold of pork or beef, it was always left unseasoned and then boiled.
Only the lowest rung of peasantry (which was not few in numbers but still) saw pork and beef as a truly rare delicacy, for everyone at least a bit above that it was not an everyday meal, but typically quite available. And it totally did get seasoned - for pickling and storage. Only beggars could not afford any meat at all.

>They didn't know how to roast beef or pork.
They did, but that was definitely in the luxury grade, typically reserved for large celebrations like weddings or major holidays.

Pepper, parsley dill and mustard were grown for local use almost ubiquitously - mostly for pickling, which was a life necessity for the poor.

> For nobles or priests, the most extravagant meal was chicken
Nobles and priest went FAR beyond that in extravagance, when they could afford it. Pickled swan tongues, foie gras, unborn rabbit - we know for a fact that this shit was hot on the tables of nobility.

>> No.75695448

>>75693854
There's absolutely nothing that makes burgers flat out impossible for medieval settings, but everything that makes a burger is damn inconvenient for a pre-industrial kitchen to store, cook or serve. A poor kitchen would have much easier time serving the same ingredients in a stew, soup, boiled plate and sides rather than burgers, and wealthier kitchens could do much better than burgers.

So, while it's not impossible for a European-ish medieval-ish inn to serve burgers to a party of adventurers, they would have to order it as a special, and it would probably cost significantly more than the same serving of similar dishes, and naturally it would taste nothing like McDs. Probably worse, but if the cook knows what he's doing the and this particular batch of ingredients is good - then probably quite better.

>> No.75695495

>>75692402
>not having members of the knightly or priestly orders on your adventure
>not dining with kings, lords and bishops
>not setting your game during the Enlightenment, Renaissance or even Colonial era
>not setting your game anywhere other than England

ngmi

>> No.75695506

>>75694705
They didn't do it always, but typically it's just straight up more efficient - boiling a soup or a stew allows you to cooks a lot of meat, gruel and veggies together with minimal fuel waste, releases a great deal of protein and fat in sinews, skin and marrow into the dish (and bones can be given to dogs), and allows you to use your gruels and veggies while flavoring them with meat, while spit-roasting meat costs a lot of firewood, leads to a lot of nutritional value getting straight burned up, a lot of fat being lost on fat down-pouring into the fire, plates, your hands and mug, sinews still unchewable and marrow hard to get - and you are still left with veggies, which you have to eat without meat flavoring. At least the bones can be used to make a soup anyhow - which is anyone from a poor country knows as a practice.

>> No.75695514

>>75694705
What everyone else said plus if you salt meat it's the best way to cook it once you've washed the salt off. Coarse if it wasn't winter they'd eat it however they wished

>> No.75695525

>>75695319
>The moment the fire drop off or if the fire is not high enough, the bacteria are gonna come a fuck your food.
Nope. You just boil it again and it's good. In fact, the effects of limited bacterial spoilage is what gives "old/double coocked stew" it's altered flavor.

Seriously you all here live entirely on ordered pizza and chicken tendies or something? None of yall faggots ever had to cook a soup?

>> No.75695546

>>75693703
>Townsend

I prefer not to support anti-American people.

>> No.75695556

>>75695546
I prefer to support anti-American people.

>> No.75695572

>>75693929
>THE VIRGIN EVROPA
and her husband, the CHAD GERMANIVM

>> No.75695575

>>75695546
How the hell are Townsends anti-American? And don't you dare bring up the orange fool video.

>> No.75695600

>>75695556
Based
Fuck murka

>> No.75695633

>>75695525
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/dining/bending-the-rules-on-bacteria-and-food-safety.html
We have food safety for a reason my guy

>> No.75695634

>>75695319
You sound like a man who's afraid to eat slightly moldy bread. Also, in Ye Olden Tymes, you wouldn't let the fire die anyway. You'd keep it burning day and night.

>> No.75695641
File: 70 KB, 720x960, iu(4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

This is just another realismfag/"local lord"/"tieflings get lynched" spambot thread.
Remember to sage your replies and report OP.

>> No.75695651

>>75695633
That is literally an article about how sometimes its fine to not follow the food safety rules.

>> No.75695747

Why not have fictional plants i have no idea, use whatever you like
>- No burgers or sandwiches either. The logistics for storing the ingredients didn't exist yet.
Sausages with bread were widespread enough to not be novelty
No, most common food was actually fresh milk, eggs and boiled/fresh veggies + bread, bread was rarely moldy because for it to mold it needs to lay for some time and people didnt have money to get enough bread for it to not be eaten in few days
Stew out of cheap meat and veggies is very good with bread, esp if its with blood coz it acts like a salt
>- Even if the peasants got a hold of pork or beef, it was always left unseasoned and then boiled. They didn't know how to roast beef or pork.
Roasting is the simpliest form of cooking, anyone who knows hot to make fire knows how to roast stuff
Vinegar, mustard and horseradish were extremely commonplace
>- For nobles or priests, the most extravagant meal was chicken. This is because eggs were very valuable, and to toss away a chicken just to cook it was a sign of luxury.
You might want to read on types of gatherings roman rich bois had, salad of thousands of swallows' tongues and such
- If you do a Google Image Search for "medieval food," basically everything you see there is NOT peasant food. It's food for nobles and priests.
Google image search is just shit in general, in your magical reals peasants can eat whatever the fuck you want

>> No.75695791
File: 783 KB, 935x1038, DnDCookbook.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

and yet therea this. Fuck off OP people cooked shit over open flame a lot you are a retard

>> No.75695793

>>75692402
I'm sorry, my setting takes place in a post-Earl of Sandwich world.

>> No.75695854

>>75695633
>We have food safety for a reason my guy
because we are a litigious nanny state

>> No.75695861

>>75692402
>peasants couldn't order chicken mcnuggies, therefore their meals were completely devoid of taste
Mudcore was a mistake.

>> No.75695886

>>75695854
>implying that having rules about serving uncontaminated food is a bad thing

>> No.75696030
File: 65 KB, 940x563, ptrlivthyme8062216.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402

The most famous D&D setting, FR, has a new world and has started bring things back. Even without that sweet potatoes are from Africa and made it to Europe around 1420 AD.

>- No burgers or sandwiches either. The logistics for storing the ingredients didn't exist yet.

Yes, but they did have some things close to sandwiches. See pic for a "trenchers". On the ingredients side of things it was a matter of local supply systems. In towns and cities with a good system of market villages produce came in 4 to 6 days out of the week right out of the fields. In places with strong rural economics even villagers could easily get same day ingredients most of the time.

That is a matter of were and to a lesser degree of when. In the UK, Italy, Germany and Northern France from about 1250 to 1350 peasants were slapped with high taxes and rents. Life sucked for them during that time. Then the black death caused labor shortages and they had it better then before that period. Having that most of the UK and northern France the peasant diet only changed with more meat and cheese. They used human waste as fertilizer, calling it "night soil". One of the character of canterbury tales, the plowman, had the job of putting out in the fields.

Source on that one?

No.

>- If you do a Google Image Search for "medieval food," basically everything you see there is NOT peasant food. It's food for nobles and priests.

No. For starters peasants were not a single social class. From the lowest to highest it is cottagers, serfs, tenant farmers, other freemen, and commoner landlord.

>> No.75696066

>>75693854
>fucking
>goddam
>literally
This isn't tumblr, spastic writing isn't funny.

>> No.75696152

>>75692402
>Absolutely no potatoes, corn, or tomatoes. Those come from the new world.
A wizard did it.
>No burgers or sandwiches either. The logistics for storing the ingredients didn't exist yet.
A wizard invented long term magic storage
>Peasant food was bland, unseasoned, and overcooked. Peasants cared about sustenance and safe meals, not a culinary experience.
That's nonsense. Even peasants ate a far wider variety of food than most Westerners do today, thanks to industrial farming narrowing agriculture down to relatively few profitable crops.
>The most common food was gruel or frumenty with stale, moldy bread as sops.
People knew you don't eat food that's gone bad, anon. They were low tech, not retarded.
Perpetual stew isn't bland at all. If you made any you'd know that. Nor does it taste awful.
>Even if the peasants got a hold of pork or beef, it was always left unseasoned and then boiled. They didn't know how to roast beef or pork.
Peasants knew what seasonings were. Plenty of wild herbs and other seasonings grew and they had the legal right to forage for it. Again, low-tech. Not retarded.
>Only nobles and priests could afford any spices at all.
Define spice. If you mean exotic imported spices from Asia, yes. In fact, several spices that were relatively common on the medieval table have basically vanished today as exotic spices commanded a far greater air of luxury.
>For nobles or priests, the most extravagant meal was chicken. This is because eggs were very valuable, and to toss away a chicken just to cook it was a sign of luxury.
You... you do know that chickens get too old to lay eggs don't you?
>- If you do a Google Image Search for "medieval food," basically everything you see there is NOT peasant food. It's food for nobles and priests.
Basically everything you see there isn't medieval food at all.

>> No.75696158

>>75695747
>No, most common food was actually fresh milk, eggs
Was it? Fresh milk implies a cow, and enough milk to make it a major piece of diet for a proper pesant household implies multiple cows, and having more than one was a sign of a pretty well-off serf through most of the medieval period. Most peasants in most places were poorer than that - they either had no cow (and bartered for it with richer neighbors), or only had one, sometimes two - meaning that everyone warranted a glass or two a day, but hardly more, and a major part of it was used for butter.

>eggs
Similarly. You need a shitton of poultry to feed an entire peasant family with eggs, and that was typically beyond most peasants.

>boiled/fresh veggies
Always a staple, but generally low on carbs - while carb-rich cultures are typically labor-inefficient. They were still cultivated, but mostly for market and as supplements for the diet, not the core.

As far as I know, various types of gruel were indeed the core of diet for the vast majority of peasants, along with bread - nothing beats grains for harvests, and it's a solid, most labor-efficient source of carbs.

>bread was rarely moldy because for it to mold it needs to lay for some time and people didnt have money to get enough bread for it to not be eaten in few days
Correct. And at worst, moldy bread was mixed with various other waste to feed the pigs.

>> No.75696161

>>75692449
fpbp and /thread

The fact it was followed by 150 posts is kind of depressing

>> No.75696178

>>75692402
Imagine being Angloid this hard and assuming food all around the world must be just as awful as in your tiny island.

>> No.75696203

>>75696161
>teegee caring about details in roleplaying games is depressing
shoo shoo smelly jew

>> No.75696208
File: 950 KB, 1280x2025, 03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75696178
Fuck off, frog.

>> No.75696212
File: 366 KB, 502x560, bait, excellent.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
Congrats, you're farming (You)s like crazy with your nonsense

>> No.75696221
File: 66 KB, 1100x620, a9dbfcad63c454a4e096bbe334b8e45d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75696030
con...commoner landlords and or farmer with lands so large they hired other peasants to help work their lands. How common were they? Based on region really. In some places they were one in ten of rural households. Other places they were not a thing at all. In Germany they had a social class of commoners that was defined by owning at least 80 acres and 4 plow animals.

People like that would eat like nobles a fair amount of the time. Other freemen it was a mixed bag. For the last three class they would still eat the type of food you are saying they did not about 2 to 7 days out of the year on fair and saints days. Also on weddings and other important events.

Side note some of you are likely asking "what the fuck is a cottager and why are they lower than serfs". Serfs got some rights and workable land out of the deal. Cottager could leave the village at any time but could have there land, if they got any just taken away at any time. It could be they only got access to common village lands. They paid very little rent had very little to work for profit. Most were very poor even by medieval standards. Those that were not learned a trade like weaving because for them framing would not get a decent living.

The cottager system was the welfare of medieval times.

>> No.75696223

>>75696203
>Mudcore idiot posting idiotic bait
>Caring about details
Pic one, faggot

>>75696208
Learn to season your food with anything else than vinegar, Anglo

>> No.75696234

>>75696208
>If your cuisine doesn't suck flaccid cock, you must be French
Truly, being English is a state of mind, even more so than being Russian.

>> No.75696257
File: 896 KB, 1280x2007, 40.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75696223
At least what we eat can actually be called food, instead of offal.

>> No.75696264

>>75696203
Since when sperging out made-up shit is "caring about details"? Even if your post is taken as anything else than blatant bait, it still paints you as clueless faggot that knows jack shit about just about anything. In fact, it makes you look less retarded if it's taken as a blatant bait. Otherwise, you are simply an ignorant fuckwit.

>> No.75696288

>>75696257
... you realise offal is integral part of British cuisine, more so than majority of European cuisines... right? Or you're too deep into baiting at this point to realise the fuck you are even doing?

>> No.75696292

>>75696152
>You... you do know that chickens get too old to lay eggs don't you?
Old hens taste better anyway, young chickens are too bland.

>> No.75696322

>>75692402
> cast feast
> it full of pizzas, muffins hamburgers and grape soda
Nothin personal, magiclet

>> No.75696328
File: 184 KB, 1200x1655, chicken Stew.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
>- For nobles or priests, the most extravagant meal was chicken. This is because eggs were very valuable, and to toss away a chicken just to cook it was a sign of luxury.
The fact that Chickens were so important meant that there was a lot of them. Chickens only lay eggs, half of those that are incubated will be roosters who are only good for breeding and meat and those Hens would eventually get old and won't be good layers. When that happens, they get turned into Chicken Stew.

Seriously. Even leaving aside that the Columbian Exchange has fucking happened in D&D this is fucking poor ass history.

>> No.75696348 [DELETED] 
File: 884 KB, 2000x2000, crudsmug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75696264
>waah people are being autistic about made up things on a board made for people to be autistic about made up things

>> No.75696351

>>75696257
Fuck off. Beef tripe, blood soup, pig tongue, liver and kidneys are the best animal products aside from good cheese and properly prepared veal.

>> No.75696365

>>75695886
It's a good thing to control the food industry, but you don't need it to control your own cooking, especially if your mom was not a deadbeat slut or a smothering feeder, and had you helping her around the kitchen and learning stuff since you started school, so you know what you're doing. Fermentation is an extremely common cooking process - beer (universally unfiltered and unpasteurized in medieval time), wine, cheese, sour cream, kombucha, kefir, sour cabbage, kumis, yogurt - that just barely scratches the surface, and many varieties of soup and stew and not an exception - a good deal of recipes intentionally calls for a cooked soup to be left overnight, and then boiled again before serving - for peasants, who first started using those recipes, it usually meant a great pot of soup or stew cooked for the whole family, most of it being served for dinner, and leftovers being mixed with a fresh batch of ingredients for the next dinner. Keep doing that for weeks - and there you have your "perpetual stew".

>> No.75696366

>>75692402
So you're saying whatever country you come from, it had both terrible cuisine and even worse application of herbs and other seasoning, and then you exaggerated those to the point of parody?
Are you by chance a Britbong? I genuinely don't know any other place on this planet that's more adverse to any kind of seasoning of food, unless macerating it in vinegar counts. In fact, I always find it confusing how English genuinely don't use herbs, don't consider them spices and don't use them for anything at all. Like what the fuck?

>> No.75696378
File: 160 KB, 568x1023, 121.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75696348

>> No.75696430

>>75696366
the British waged war on the entire world for tea and spices mate

And I'm a frog so I'm not even trying to butter them up here

>> No.75696474

>>75696430
Which is precisely why I'm so confused by this: conquer quarter of the planet for spices and then don't fucking use them in your cuisine.
Have you checked what Dutch eat due to being "the spice empire"? And how much various seasonings they apply, even to their "traditional" food? Brits meanwhile are "Just add some vinny, mate!" and eat a tasteless/sour gruel with a broad smile.

>> No.75696504

>>75696474
You can blame the world wars. Brit rationing stuck for a while after both of them, longer than their contemporaries considering the state of the Isles' debt after WW2, and permanently impacted the local cuisine. Two hundred years ago it was a very different story.

>> No.75696718

Dragon's Crown had an awesome culinary mini-game - the art was pretty amazing as well. It's fantasy, the food should be fantastic. Stygian... the best

>> No.75696772
File: 72 KB, 960x960, Sustaining.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

So, to cut off a side note away from tradition.
What are some good foods a fantasy setting could utilize? How could the conditions and logistics of world with magic utilize them?

>> No.75696856

>>75692402
good bait, anon. This is higher effort than usual.

>> No.75696911

>>75696474
British food is very condiment based which can mean it's misinterpreted as bland when picked up overseas and missing the various bits.

Stuff like Branston pickle, horseradish, hp, and yes vinegar. Tend not to be spicy so much as savoury but still quite strongly flavoured.

>> No.75697051

>>75696161
To be fair, anon, when the rest of the thread is just dabbing on retarded Op it's acceptable

>>75696223
>Mudcore
I like this term. Can we adopt it to mock local lord posters?

>> No.75697072

>>75692402
>New world food is banned
>No major second continent in my setting, and even if there was why would it follow similar horticultural evolution?

>> No.75697108

>>75693057
>Hell, depending on your group a culinary focused adventure could be fun. Start off small cataloging the recipies and flavors of the place near where you started and as you get higher and level you get to eat more exotic and expensive dishes.
I think Dungeon Meshi proves this rule.

>> No.75697147

>>75695410
If peasants ate beef regularly, then how did they get any milk?

>> No.75697172

>>75695747
They didn't eat hot dogs with buns, no.

>> No.75697349

>>75697147
1. Not all of them ate beef regularly - a significant part of them ate beef regularly, and another major part ate it occasionally, with a minority eating it frequently and another minority eating it basically never, with the ratios changing between regions and periods.
2. Cows have two sexes, you know. Only one of those gives milk, and the don't give milk continuously through their entire lives. And they have to calve first - and if it's not a heifer then you either keep it for breeding, chop it after three to eight months for some veal, or rear it for a 12-18 months for a serious quantity of beef.

>> No.75697392

>>75692402
You are literally retarded.

>> No.75697589

>>75695448
I can solve the logistics of storing the ingredients of this setting with one simple word. Magic. A wizard made a chest that gets cold. Boom. Fridge.

>> No.75697640

>>75697589
If industrial-equivalent magic devices and contraptions are mass-produced and available as industrial technological solutions are - then you're no longer doing Medieval Fantasy, you're doing Industrial Magicpunk. Which is nearly universally shit. Congratulations, you played yourself.

>> No.75697654
File: 140 KB, 800x1200, How-to-Grow-and-Harvest-Common-Sage-1e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
This special spice might help you and cuisine in your games, OP

>> No.75697671

>>75696911
>Stuff like Branston pickle, horseradish, hp, and yes vinegar
>This passes as condiments
So... British cuisine is bland? You've just listed stuff that has the same flavour - sour

>> No.75697680

>>75697640
Oh no. The wizards are using magic to solve problems. What are we gonna do bros?

>> No.75697694
File: 92 KB, 1024x762, Jesienna Gawęda.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75697640
>If you aren't playing mudcore, you're having fun wrong
Why would you even bother playing at all, if the goal is pic related?

>> No.75697708

>>75697680
1. Not play fucking Eberron.
2. Boot the faggot who hijacks any plot to start inventing shit all over the place.

>> No.75697719
File: 189 KB, 300x200, missing.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75697708
The worst part is that you actually mean it, rather than being sarcastic

>> No.75697726

>>75693094
There is old Russian fairy tale called "Hatchet Porrige"

>> No.75697739

>>75692402
Nah. I am going to find a tarrasque then bring it to our kingdom and disable it just so we can have a tarrasque-revolving cuisine. Imagine how fucking strong our people will get from eating tarrasque all day.

>> No.75697769

>>75693703
I freaking love their channel. And yeah, pulling from their recipes is a great way to build up a fantasy pub or inn's list of edibles, since so many methods shown in that channel were in use not just in the 1700s as they show, but for centuries beforehand.

>> No.75697777

>>75696504
Not that anon, but let me tell you a story. I'm Polish. We had rationing for three generations due to commie rule and it wasn't exactly sunshine and rainbows during interwar period either.
ZERO effect on cuisine, people still were seasonng their food, because hey, why would you want to eat shit that tastes like wet cardboard, if you can spice it up in variety of ways. The only thing that went out of use was fresh ginger, replaced with powdered variety.
So whenever I hear the classic Anglo "b-but we had rationing for like 10 years!", I'm just laughing. Doubly so when you check any given pre-WW1 and pre-WW2 cookbook written by Brits and what you've got? Fucking zero spices, herbs, seasoning and everything being either just salted or served with vinegar-based sauce.
You fucks can't cook, that's literally all.

>> No.75697843
File: 444 KB, 200x150, aw shit nigga.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75697777

>> No.75697878

>>75697694
Who said anything about mudcore? I explicitly agreed that medieval burgers are perfectly possible. It's just that dealing away with elements of a setting inevitably makes it into a different setting, and said different setting not always works well with a kind of a game you're trying to do. If you have Middle Earth but every bloke can afford a magical helicopter - then it's no longer Middle Earth, and there's can't be War of the Ring and Fellowship. Qualities of a many typical D&D adventure are strongly tied with elements of medieval fantasy setting - practical remoteness of settlements, unexplored territories, abandoned ruins of fallen kingdoms, lack of mass armies, vulnerable communities - this is what makes adventurers of sword and sorcery click, what gives them meaning and purpose. If you do away with things that make those things relevant - then your world is no longer really fit for D&D adventuring, and to do other kinds of adventuring you're better off using a different system.

>>75697719
If you want to roleplay a bourgeois enterprise with a brilliant inventor trying to change the world through his genius and make the whole party rich and famous - then have you considered not playing D&D?

>> No.75697896

>>75697777
>polish
>food
pick 1
also, checked

>> No.75697900

>>75697777
>I'm Polish. We had rationing for three generations due to commie rule
Mother fucker you had rationing for a single 5YP after the war, and then for two 5YPs before the collapse, that's it. This is why nobody likes you people - a nation-wide martyr complex.

That said, checked, and British excuses are indeed pathetic. I better tie it to urban culture couples with extremely poor food variety and general living conditions for proles which was going on for, like, over a century, killing off a major part of folk cuisine.

>> No.75697954
File: 273 KB, 400x400, miss.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75697878
If one squints, your post can be pretty funny.

>> No.75697969

>>75697954
I see. You were merely pretending.

>> No.75697977

>>75692984
>never clean your cooking utensils/dishware

Die you uncivilized faggot. This is why because covid. Idiots

>> No.75697982

>>75692402
>trying to be realistic in a fantasy setting featuring elves, undead, orcs, demons, fey, and multitudes of other shit.

>> No.75697986

>>75692402
>the new world
The what now?

Spuds and other things came from the pyramid builders out west, traded for metal and booze along the whaleroad.

>> No.75697999

>>75697986
why do the pyramid builders build pyramids? Are they building a metal pyramid with the metal?

>> No.75698005

>Portraying fantasy food
>Not making up vegetables or fruits
>Not eating the meat of the weird creatures the party kills

Is this the timeline where Dungeon Meshi isn't a thing ?

>> No.75698009

>>75697896
>Brits
>food
pick 1
The only thing that comes even remotely close to how damn bland it is is eating canned rations. Which is a staple of modern British cuisine anyway.

>>75697900
>You had rationing for a single 5YP
Um... no?
The only period without any sort of rationing was early 70s, the fabled "early Gierek golden age". And it backfired horribly when suddenly things went out of supply and even strictier rationing was implemented back, angering the shit out of people.
Yet somehow not even having rationing on sugar caused the collapse of home baking or variety of pastries.
No idea what martyr complex has to do with any of it, but m'kay. The point was that rationing is shit-tier excuse, because it's a non-factor.

>> No.75698027

>>75692402
Nah, cheeseburgers for all my players with ketchup and relish. We have a player who plays as a tabaxi and she always says CAN HAS CHEESEBURGERS? Why would we ruin her fun for 'accuracy' lol.

We dont care about your history or realism lol we just want to roll dice and have fun.

>> No.75698041

>>75698005
Dungeon Meshi isn't realistic.

>> No.75698060

>>75697982
You can have any sorts of races in your setting as long as they all live in mud huts, farm in mud, are covered in shit and eat bland gruel.

>> No.75698063
File: 626 KB, 1500x2250, 20201030_164109.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
>For nobles or priests, the most extravagant meal was chicken. This is because eggs were very valuable, and to toss away a chicken just to cook it was a sign of luxury.
"I want there to be no peasant in my realm so poor that he will not have a chicken in his pot every Sunday,"
t. Henri IV. of France, 1589

Yes I prefer campaigns in the 1450-1550 era, why do you ask?

>> No.75698064

>>75698041
Killing a thing and not trying to eat it is not realistic

>> No.75698077

>>75695546
I fucking hate you people. You fuck up every colonial cookery thread. Orange Foolposting should be punishable by a permanent rangeban.

>> No.75698083

>>75698009
>The only period without any sort of rationing was early 70
And the late 50s. And the 60s. Those were not exactly sweet everywhere across the Pact, but that had nothing to do with rationing.

>No idea what martyr complex has to do with any of it
You exaggerate every nasty thing that ever happened to you historically and wear it like a medal.

>> No.75698088

>>75697977
Yeah bro everyone cooks with filthy hands and hocks loogies into the pot just like you do
Shut the fuck up, destroy your gut biome with antibiotics, and die

>> No.75698093

>>75697969
No, you don't understand that I was mocking you. If anyone here is the retard its you.
Now I'm gonna go pay a wizard for a small chest I can heat things up in quickly.

>> No.75698114

>>75695546
fuck off, trumplet.

>> No.75698133

>>75698063
>>"I want there to be no peasant in my realm so poor that he will not have a chicken in his pot every Sunday,"
Henry was a good lad.

>> No.75698135
File: 93 KB, 800x776, russian-drinking-bogatyrs_0-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
>the virgin mudhut peasant
>the chad rus Bogatyr

>> No.75698145

>>75697900
The English "folk cuisine", if you dig into it, it insane amount of gruel of different kinds and shapes even for "poor man food from Europe" and indeed, as OP claims, devoid of spicing and any other condiments than those produced by fermentation. So if anything, it's just continuation of the same shit as always, but with more meat to it in 20th century. It's just a national habit that can be traced to at least 1700s, and by that logic, you can easily claim that anything prior that had to be equally terrible.
As silly as it sounds, there is such thing as history of cooking and it's not even some sort of Mickey Mouse degree, but integral part of archeological studies. And the consensus in the field is that if something can be traced to about 1850 (the year, not even the decade), then it's a "traditional" dish. Which is why so many cuisines rely extensively on New World crops and spices in dishes that pass off as traditional or were altered with access to new crops and kept their "traditional" creed.
Either way, the end conclusion is that English were always eating tasteless grub and there is no "single cause" to it, like they always try to defend themselves. The sad reality is that as far as just about any records go, you will get the same results: commoners eating unseasoned, barely spiced food and prior to the Restoration period, "noble" cuisine being just as bland - and the only reason why it changed was just importing French recipes, which used extensive amount of spices in that period. What makes it double funny is that your "typical" late Medieval noble cuisine is choke-full of exotic spices, solely due to how expensive they were and how they could hide the taste of the meat being off - but not the English one.

tl;dr it was always like that

>> No.75698159

>>75698135
>KISLEV THAT IS PORK NOT BREAD!
>BOGATYR CUTS FOOD AS HE PLEASES!

>> No.75698214

>>75698135
>even the pig is smiling
>he's just happy to be involved

>> No.75698230

>>75692873
>lowly peasant illegally hunting in the kings woods
Off with his fingers!

>> No.75698241

>>75698083
Let me get this straight - because some places within Eastern Block didn't have rationing in Xs, it means every country within the Block was rationing-free?
Gee man, then I guess we never had any rationing at all, since the Czechs, just south of the border, didn't have rationing even directly after the war or during it.
Still fail to see what any of this has to do with the point that rationing doesn't affect cuisine. But I find it ironic when you accuse me of some sort of proud display of own past issues, while in the same time doing exactly that: exaggerating how bad rationing was for England. The fuck, man?

>> No.75698274

>>75697999
They build pyramids because it's a job creation scheme between work for people, it's a dick measuring contest between the cities, royal decrees and ceremonies are done at the top of them so everyone can see and because they look rad as fuck and ayone that says otherwise is mega-gay.

The metal they use for all sorts of shit just like everyone else, it's just that they've never had any before.

>> No.75698300

>>75698145
>and there is no "single cause" to it
There is, though. Anglos.

>> No.75698425

>>75698300
Well... point taken, I stand corrected now.

>> No.75698479

>>75692402
The New World doesn't exist in a fantasy world either. If the DM/GM wants to have potatoes come from the continent of Tsutumpuru which regularly trades with the continent of Pröööt where the PCs are, there should be no problem in having potatoes in the game.
Really this level of hur dur.
>A fantasy world with orcs and magic and dragons and shit fine and believable, but having potatoes and tomatoes is one step too far

>> No.75698493

>>75694062

Go away, Mister Fingers. You don't update nearly frequently enough.

>> No.75698532
File: 31 KB, 769x733, 751.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75695575

>> No.75698550
File: 69 KB, 680x658, 471.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75698479
>continent of Pröööt
Is this where pic related takes place

>> No.75698579

>>75698532
Great image macro, but completely misused in your case. It is a real food with genuine historicity, and for the life of me I can't understand why you fucking retards pretend he cooked it as some kind of epic dunk on the President and not just because it was a nice luxury dessert made at the time.
You people should be permabanned and then tracked down and shot in real life. An absolute scourge on good conversation. I'd feed you ground glass if I could.

>> No.75698594 [DELETED] 

>>75698532
The only idiots who think "orange fool" is "anti-American" are complete morons who think a drink made centuries ago was named to insult a egotistical greedy pseudo-President, and furthermore think that insulting said spraytanned jackass is insulting America and/or Jesus, because they're so fucking ignorant they see that racist pissmop as their new Messiah.

>> No.75698617 [DELETED] 

>>75698594
God, I wish Trump was actually as fascistic, religiously intolerant and racist as you guys make him out to be.

>> No.75698637

>>75698532
>>75698579
>>75698594
Can't we keep electionfaggotry in /pol/ or /b/ where it belongs.

>> No.75698658

>>75692840
Consider you might have autism

>> No.75698668

>>75698617
Don't worry, he is, and looking outside of Fox News and InfoWars easily shows it.

>> No.75698683

>>75698637
Don't worry, I've said all I care to say about Emperor Marmalade.

Carry on with the food discussion, please..

>> No.75698684

>>75698668
Man, for your sake, I hope you're only pretending to be retarded.
This thread is already fucked, so might as well drag this out. Name one openly racist policy implemented in the last half-decade.

>> No.75698687

>>75697878

You double nigger, D&D is a high fantasy set in the transitional period from the High Middle Ages to Renaissance.

>> No.75698710

>>75693118
Perpetual stew is a real thing though it would never be called that, it's just a way of cooking that has gone out of style. And there is nothing about it that would be necessarily awful, it would be a bonebroth soup with onions, root vegetables and scrap cuts of meat, flavored with herbs like thyme, rosemary and possibly black or long pepper. OP mentions offal and it's quite possible that liver and lung saw their way into the stew as well but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that except that we think it's "icky".

>> No.75698736

>>75698668

Like they said, I wish he was, so we could MURDER the likes of you.

>> No.75698739

>>75698710
Oh and of course lentils and beans. Probably served with slices of sourdough whole wheat or rye loaf.

And if that sounds both tasty and healthy, it's because it was.

>> No.75698772

>>75692402
Lmao burger education
Absolutely none of this is true except the new world crops

>> No.75698790

>>75698710
We had a short-lived perpetual chili in a crockpot, that was influenced by someone my roommate knew who kept a pot of chili going on a burner in his garage for several years.

We really only lost the perpetual chili because it eventually burned because the temp got set too high.

>> No.75698809

>>75698637
Just a few more days man.

>> No.75698816 [DELETED] 

>>75698579

Triggered that you don't have an argument, you fucking shitstain? The channel you like is politicized garbage and thus everything they say is questionable at best.

>>75698594

He's not racist though. Seethe more.

>> No.75698846

Don't feed the troll
Instead talk about food in your games or settings

>> No.75698884 [DELETED] 

>>75698816
I honestly cannot tell if you're a leftist pretending to be retarded for the lulz or a neoconservative with a room-temperature IQ. Fuck if Descartes wasn't right about fools looking for good company.

>> No.75698920 [DELETED] 

>>75698884
Honestly I find that right-leaning people are significantly more likely to use "triggered" how that guy used it, as well as to ignore the well-documented history of racism that Orange has.

>> No.75698921

>>75692402
Tips: no
Medieval Europe wasn’t fucking modern Somalia.
I don’t what kind of meme education you got but you are wrong on everything but the new world vegetables and burgers.
And there’s absolutely no reason that prevent their existence in a goddamn fantasy setting.

>> No.75698942 [DELETED] 

>>75698884
My man, you're on a Chinese pornocartoon discussion board. If you trying to imply you're better than me, then you should take a long, hard look at yourself. And then go and dilate, and then kill yourself.

>> No.75699379 [DELETED] 

>>75698920
Post a single openly racist policy instituted between 2016 and now or fuck off you retard
>>75698942
I still can't tell. If you're trolling, it's very convincing.

>> No.75699462 [DELETED] 

>>75699379
No, you sealion troll, piss off.

>> No.75699536 [DELETED] 

>>75699462
Just one. A single one would suffice. A teaspoonful of ethnic discrimination. Just for flavor. That's all you need.

>> No.75699801

>>75698710
For some reason this guy seems to have a hate boner against perpetual stew which is a really weird crusade to take. Obviously it would fail to pass modern health standards, but there's absolutely no reason to think that in the past they didn't keep stew pots simmering for months if not years; why waste all the soup remainders when you can just add in some water and a few extra ingredients?

>> No.75699832

"No!"

>> No.75699842

>>75696351
Fuck, now I want a lengua burrito.

>> No.75699871

>>75699801
This looks incredible. Imagine how rich that broth is, possible food safety issues aside.
https://youtu.be/dfgS2N5yIDQ

>> No.75700184

>>75697671
There's other shit, that's just the ones I thought of off the top of my head. Mustard and the various Indian spices in wide use spring to mind too.

>> No.75700197

>>75692402
Like the detail but adding fantasy flavoring is good too. Especially if the party encounters another culture or even an entire race of demihuman/monsters.

In one of my campaigns, minotaurs are less like their baby eating monster replicants and are more of just "giant cow humanoids". Due to this, they are strictly herbivores. Due to their large bodies, they mostly eat high calorie herbivore foods like nuts and gourds. They do hunt but only for the leather, the meat is either to trade with nin herbivore people or to feed their carnivorous pet wolves, or use it as bait. Their farms are massive and highly valued, being guarded by their guard wolves. Minotaurs are territorial as it is, getting near their gourd farms makes them especially tilted.

They are not fond of fire for any method outside from warmth and trolls, so they take their foods raw. They do have a dish where they carve a gourd exterior to a bowl and just make a bland salad of random nuts and veggies and call it a meal.

>> No.75700218

>>75692402
You fucking moron

>> No.75700505

>>75692402
> - Absolutely no potatoes, corn, or tomatoes. T hose come from the new world.
Exploring is an european thing, that's why "d&d" is mostly a whitey activity.

This is like saying "I'm gonna teach you how to portray war without battles, fights or killing".

>> No.75700529

>>75700505
Any portrayal of the Aryan mindset needs tons of exploration, slaying monsters, saving ladies, interacting with friendly strangers and killing savages.

>> No.75700583

>>75692402
quality bait (or possibly genuine retardation)

>> No.75700721

>>75692402
Tell me, anon, if you can.

>In a world crawling with magic users, why can't food cart prestidigitation their food to taste better?
>In a world crawling with druids and plant-growth magic, wouldn't there be more food?
>In a world where you can summon animals, wouldn't there be more meat?
>In a world where you have potions, why not feed animals a potion of Enlarge before slaughtering them?

Your topic is called "Portraying Food in D&D" but you are taking a no-magic euro-centric fantasy approach to your food. Maybe if this was Game of Thrones, this might be a good thread. But you specifically said D&D.

It was a good try, but you shot yourself at the starting line.

>> No.75701119

>>75699801
My grandmother had a similar thing. It was technically scouse rather than stew, or at least started out as such. Ingredients varied down the years considerably.

>> No.75701338

>>75692402
>ITT OP is a boring cuck that thinks this is at all accurate to people of any era.

Motherfucker they were still people. People want flavorful foods. Yeah, they may not have had as many options but do you know how many fucking ways you can cook turnips, beets and carrots that make for a decent meal?

Herbs would have been abundantly used in any cooking, go read a medieval cookbook yeah Lord's got the fancy stuff but wild sage, mint and thyme are easy to find.

They would have excessive cheeses typically hard like a cheddar. Smoked meats and fish as well though those might be rarer.

This is like the morons that talk about how people bathed once a year.

>> No.75701603

>>75698790
rest in F eternal chili

>> No.75701678

>>75692402
D&D settings aren't Earth.

>> No.75701723

>>75700721
A salt shaker shaped artifact that did that one prestidigitation trick would be a neat thing to have

>> No.75701729

>>75697977
Get a fuckin load of this frail little daisy of a manlet. Hahahahaha

>> No.75701751
File: 30 KB, 750x723, ddd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

How did you fucking retards fall for bait this obvious
None of it is even right, that's the JOKE
what's wrong with you

>> No.75701777

>>75693118
Actually anon, it isn't and you're fucking stupid. You can literally nake perpetual stew today and it's a well known technique. Please inform yourself, you ignorant fucknut.

>> No.75701824

Pot Of Perpetual Stew when?

>> No.75701860

>>75692402
>He doesn't eat gently seasoned lavender cakes with his gooseberry wine
1/10 would not peasant with

>> No.75701923

>>75701860
Lavender cakes? Tell me more.

>> No.75701949

>>75701860
Elderberry wine is superior.

>> No.75701959

>>75695633
I bet you have a gaywad immune system, too my bud.

>> No.75702064

>>75696351
What are you, a fuckin ghoul? Go eat your garbage privately, elsewhere.

>> No.75702080

>>75692402
The biggest issue with this post is that it's not even historically accurate. Peasants didn't have access to meat that is correct, but generally speaking their diet was actually superior nutritionally speaking to the diets had in the industrial revolution and post industrial revolution. The idea of the starving peasant, much like most concepts of the so called "middle ages" are propaganda created during the industrial revolution to make people feel better about how shit it made their lives.

>> No.75702233

>>75701923
I don't have the book handy but here's an elizabethan era recipe.
https://theculinarychase.com/2011/06/lavender-shortbread/

Lavender, and other edible flowers saw a lot of use as seasoning. People now can't wrap their heads around deserts without sugar, but honey, sweet berries and heavy cream go a long way in terms of making deserts.

>> No.75702269

>>75701949
Generally yes, but the tart gooseberry better sets of the lavender

>> No.75702298

>>75702080
They had access to meat. It was just more of a weekly to monthly thing, instead of meat three times a day American style.

>> No.75702325

>>75702298
It really depends. Hunting rights were restricted and you didn't slaughter farm animals because they tended to be worth more alive.

>> No.75702444

>>75702298
>meat three times a day American style.
Even that is primarily a 20th century development.

>> No.75702476

>>75697147
Calves are slaughtered so their stomachs can be used to make cheese and bulls were usually slaughtered if you didn't need more breeding stock.

>> No.75702549
File: 170 KB, 1200x675, Because the soup was too salty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
>Tips on portraying food in D&D
>Proceeds to list some realismfaggotry mudcore
The fuck? Do you even know what D&D is like?
As in, the bare-bones of idea?

>> No.75702578

>>75697147
You realise that a milk cow is not the same as a meat cow... right?
Or that the cow needs to be pregnant and with calf to produce milk in the first place?
Or that the milk-digesting enzymes from calves stomachs are needed in the first place to produce cheese?

It's like you are fucking retarded or something

>> No.75702639

>>75700721
>In a world where you can summon animals, wouldn't there be more meat?
Summoned animals, along with their components, disappear when the animals in question dies or is dismissed.

>> No.75702673

>>75702298
This.
And to this fucking day. I'm always confused by the sheer fucking amount of meat Americans eat. Like what the fuck they are even doing with it? Short from ham or sausage to sandwiches, I'm eating maybe a single chicken/turkey breast/leg and a piece of pork per week, very rarely some beef - in fact, I'm more likely to end up with rabbit or even horse meat than beef. And it's not even a matter of price or some eco-friendly bullshit, I just don't see the point why to keep stuffing my face with more meat than that.
Oh, right, I forgot. Fish is not meat up here.
Either way, I just don't get it when people start bitching about about "old times", pull some numbers from their ass, and then you also learn they are Americans, so for them "modern consumption" means weekly amount of what I eat for two months - and so does everyone else in the country. "Kinda" misleading.

>> No.75702975

>>75693827
>Milk boys can't eat stuff from poc land

Thrilling dishes like: Insects or dirt or a lot of nothing.

>> No.75703005

>>75702673
>why does a country that has massive production and low retail cost of meat eat so much meat?
Also the EU average is over 80 kilos per capita per year.

>> No.75703009

>>75702673
For someone so willing to point out ignorance, you sure are ignorant yourself.

>> No.75703053
File: 91 KB, 1280x960, 1319350852058.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75692402
>They didn't know how to roast beef or pork.

>> No.75703101

>>75692402

Even Tolkien had potatoes and tobacco in Middle Earth and that was actually supposed to be the old world, albeit in some bygone mythological era.

>> No.75703165
File: 70 KB, 463x433, 1397507311836.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Fuck you, I'm going to steal straight from GRR Martin's books and describe sumptuous feasts with honey-glazed chicken and thick-bodied stews overflowing with chopped vegetables and crab meat served with steaming hot bread and mugs of ale. Food and cuisine are perhaps the most fundamental aspect of Humanity and by far the most Universal; if you describe a good meal, anyone from Chang the Chinaman to Billy Joe in Arkansas will start to drool.

>> No.75703191

>>75703165
Check out the food porn in the Redwall series. I barely remember the books, but the feast scenes are seared into my mind.

>> No.75703246

>>75702639
So you could cut off a chunk and eat it as long as you take care not to kill the animal?

Neat. Like Diet meat.

>> No.75704142

>>75692402
You know dnd games don’t typically take place on earth, right anon? Don’t be a retard.

>> No.75704218

you're an idiot >>>/his/

>> No.75704321

>>75703005
Funny how the exact same factor applies to EU, and somehow the consumption is third of American on average. And those statistics still include the UK, which is no longer in the EU, while was one of the main meat markets in it. So I'd expect by next year, corona non-withstanding, the consumption is gonna plummet further. DESPITE having cheap and mass-produced meat that can be bought cheaper than just about anything else.

>>75703009
For someone answering a post, you seem oddly uninterested with answering the question.

>> No.75704322

>>75703246
Yep! It doesn't provide any real sustenance since it doesn't get digested before the creature vanishes, so you'd want to follow it up with something nutritious.

>> No.75704477

>>75693850
>Players don't want to document flora and fauna
maybe if your players aren't cool. I wish my players were that cool

>> No.75704783

>>75704477
Unless it's explicitly the purpose of the game, then NO players are this cool. And even if it is, chances are you didn't ask your players prior and blindly assumed they would be interested, rather than asking them upfront first

>> No.75704874

>>75704783
This.
I once asked my players if they wanted to do a game about exploring a newly opened up section of the world.
They said sure.
I expected I'd be readying various encounters to go in all sorts of different terrain, instead they started asking about making characters who are zoologists, botanists, etc so they could catalog and do proper research on shit.

>> No.75704925

>>75704874
Personally I like the outcome when there is a reward for cataloging. Both the players and their characters are utterly clueless about this, but want to earn as much money as possible, so they catalog (ineptly) everything on their way and always try to find something new, acting like bumbling idiots.
Bonus points if your players realise what's up, but the reward is still compelling enough to continue this behaviour, so it's even more immersive.

>> No.75705158

>>75704925
>reward for cataloging
Had that with a campaign about space explorers checking out a section of galaxy that had ludicrously high levels of radiation until they suddenly and inexplicably dropped.
The entire idea was that cataloging systems and getting information back to space stations willing to pay for them was the best way to make money, with more precise data or curious finds (such as distinctive flora/fauna) being worth a lot more, but also taking up more time and putting the crew/ship at more risk.

>> No.75705238

>>75692449
I'm totally into low fantasy. I want to run a campaign where the adventurers enjoying spices for the first time is just as wonderful an experience as finding some silly magic weapon that kills dragons in one hit. I want my players to see their first gold piece like five sessions in. Really slow it all down.

I'm a detail oriented DM and this kind of accuracy can mean I have to make up less content to make shit interesting

>> No.75705400

I get it, I really do. I love a historical simulism in my fantasy games because it's more immersive and believable as a real living world that way to me, but dude you're talkin about this kinda shit like [Purify Food and Drink] doesn't exist. A spell that even the lowest Acolyte NPC in the village temple could muster. Like the realms aren't basically globalised.

When you're dealing with the world that exists alongside magic like [Mend] and [Light] you can't expect to hold onto low level realism the way we know it.

>> No.75705615

Look, if Tolkien had potatoes and tobacco in his setting, who are we to argue?

>> No.75705816

>>75692402
Now you're just making shit up.

>> No.75705837

>>75697986
>whaleroad
You. I like you.

>> No.75705847

>>75705238
>I want this
... did you bothered to ask your players what they want, thou?
Because something tells me you have nobody to ask and for a very good reason.

>> No.75705903

>>75700184
Mustard is another sour flavour, while Indian spices are restricted to Indian cuisine. Just because you can eat decent tandoori chicken in Derby doesn't mean it's what passes as English cuisine - and Bongs would be offended if you even tried to suggest that, while the cook was Pakistani, doing his mom's recipe.
So it's still just more sour flavour to English dishes as the only flavour allowed.

>> No.75705913
File: 224 KB, 500x277, 555.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75705400
>Implying OP plays at all

>> No.75705957

>>75692402
> Peasant food was bland, unseasoned, and overcooked.
Ah, so this is a troll thread. Or some retard who's never seen a history book and thinks Monty Python was a documentary.

>> No.75705970

>>75692402
There is fucking magic and technology beyond what existed in medieval times and it is not on earth fuck you. Also many things here are just not true. Good bait, I fell for it, but fuck you.

>> No.75706009

>>75696911
>>75697671
>22. Diacre. Almond milk, amidon, sifted rice flour, capon meat, a great abundance of powder of ginger, sugar, white wine, alkanet, fresh wafers planted thereon; color, red.
>26. Brasee. Spiced wine, cinnamon, the fish sprinkled and planted in a frying pan or a peel with cubebs and cloves, and roasted on a griddle, then boil in wine and spices; color, red.
>27. Teste de Tourk. Sheet of dough, good wheat: plant therein, coneys and birds, pitted dates soaked in honey, new cheese planted therein, cloves, cubebs, sugar therein, then a layer of pistachio stuffing abundantly; color of stuffing, red, yellow and green. The head should be dressed black in the manner of the hair of women in a black braid, a face of a man thereon.
14th century english cookbook. Here's a transcribed 1390 cookbook if you're really interested in the subject:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/foc/

>> No.75706016

>>75692402
You know, there is an actual cookbook in my country from 1530s that was made as sort of curiosity research by a scholar for local duke's court, about what kind of food locals of newly conquered area eat. Intended as political work mocking the conquered people, ended being a genuine cookbook from modern perspective, covering stuff eaten by all classes of people, with actual recipes (that, after bit of linguistic hassle, can be easily recreated) on how to make them.
And guess what?
It's nowhere near as bad as realismfaggot like you could have projected. In fact, short from the fact there is absolutely nothing providing "hot" flavouring (doesn't mean lack of spices, just not those of hot variety), it's perfectly edible, too, as long as you enjoy mild food and a whole lot of herbs.

>> No.75706057

>>75706009
>Here, nobleman dishes!
>Totally representative to the masses!
We all know how good peasants had it with access to almonds, ginger, sugar, wine (in a non-wine making country), cinnamon, cloves and pistachio.
It's like you are too retarded to grasp what's the discussion even about.

>> No.75706070

>Take a large, deep tajine [clay casserole with a lid] and put some red beef in it, cut up without fat, from the leg, the shoulder, and the hip of the cow. Add a very large quantity of oil, vinegar, a little murri naqî', pepper, saffron, cumin, and garlic. Cook it until it's half done, and then add some red sheep's meat and cook. Then add to this cleaned chickens, cut into pieces; partridges, young pigeons or wild doves, and other small birds, mirkâ s and meatballs. Sprinkle it with split almonds, and salt it to taste. Cover it with a lot of oil, put it in the oven, and leave in until it is done, and take it out. This is simple sanhâ ji, used by the renowned; as for the common people, their sanhâji will be dealt with in its own proper time, God willing.
>Take young, fat chickens, clean and boil in a pot with water, salt and spices, as is done with tafaya; then take it out of the pot and pour the broth with the fat in a dish and add to it what has been said for the roast over coals; rub this into the boiled hen and then arrange it on a spit and turn it over a moderate fire with a continuous movement and baste it constantly, until it is ready and browned; then sprinkle it with what remains of the sauce and use. Its nutrition is nicer than that of livestock meat, and more uniform; in this way one also roasts the other birds.
>Cut up the chicken, making two pieces from each limb; fry it with plenty of fresh oil; then take a pot and throw in four spoonfuls of vinegar and two of murri naqî' and the same amount of oil, pepper, cilantro, cumin, a little garlic and saffron. Put the pot on the fire and when it has boiled, put in the fried chicken spoken of before, and when it is done, then empty it out and present it.
I honestly have never used saffron or rosemary correctly.

>> No.75706100

Dwarves make a mean kebab. Gnomes invented iced cream. Halflings eat potatoes boiled, mashed, or stuck in stews. fite me

>> No.75706124

>>75706100
Why should I? Nothing better than getting corn from halflings and trading it for cocoa from the lizardfolk.

>> No.75706166

>>75706057
Hey spanky, the discussion was about how medieval food had no spices and was bland. Now that's objectively been proven incorrect. You probably don't know but ginger, cloves, honey, saffron, rosemary was available to "peasants" too. I realize that this will frighten and confuse you but try to rationalize this recipe:

>Hen Roasted in a Pot in the Oven
>Take a young, plump, cleaned hen, and put it on a wooden spit like a lance; place in a new pot of its size, not touching the sides or the bottom, and seal on it with dough a lid pierced in the middle, so that the end of the lance sticks out through the hole, so that it stays upright. The lid is made to touch with the dough. Put the pot in a moderate oven and leave it until it is ready; then take it out and prepare for it salt ground with pepper and cinnamon, and sprinkle salt over it upon opening the pot. Then cover it a little after beating it until the salt penetrates it.
It's from a cookbook written for an Tavern/Inn in 13th century Andalusia. I'll wait while you look up what "Andalusia" even is, or while you work out how a tavern for a town of a few thousand had access to *GASP* books and writing. What with them only having access to mud and sticks. This probably throws you entire worldview into chaos.

>> No.75706348

>>75705615
Well, the Shire was never medieval.

>> No.75706360

>>75706166
No, the discussion was how British cuisine, the modern one, can be traced to how bland commoner food was right the fuck from medieval times.
And you came in, 2-inch dick all erect and swagging, to inform us what noblemen used to spice their food.
So not only you missed the point, but apparently didn't even bother to read the actual discussion that was going. Thus kindly - go fuck yourself with a rebar

>> No.75706381

>>75704783
I'm not tone-deaf, of course I don't try to push them towards that stuff when they aren't interested. if they were interested, they would have tried it already. I'm thinking of bringing it up when I put together my next campaign though, maybe I can find some interested players

>> No.75706399

>>75706166
Also
>It's from a cookbook written for an Tavern/Inn in 13th century Andalusia
has jack shit to do with what's eaten in the Islands, you dumb fuck. And not everyone is American to not know the basic division of Spain, so go fuck yourself even harder.
Seriously man, there is being ignorant and then is acting like you - joining a discussion you didn't fucking read, just to dump on you your armchair knowledge as some sort of enlightening of the masses.

>> No.75706410

>>75704321
The average yearly meat consumption for the USA is 98kg per capita.

>> No.75706528

>>75706399
>>75706360
Genuinely don't care about the opinion of some retard who doesn't know England has garlic, nettle, mint, elder, saffron as native spices (among others) and can't figure out they could possibly be used by yee olde peasants. This thread is decades old and you've never bothered to learn the subject. Fuck off and read a book.

>> No.75706749

>>75706528
Careful or he's going to start busting out prima nocta and peasant levy armies.

>> No.75706806

>>75706528
And sage, rosemary, borage, thyme, watercress and probably a shit load more.

>> No.75707195
File: 73 KB, 358x392, 1279696118.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75706528
>I didn't read the discussion you had and I don't care about it either, I'm just here to wave my dick around
Thanks for making it clear, then.

>> No.75707272

>>75696257
>We finished the idea of horse in Warfare for two hundreds years.
Always love that part, it's where you can see the author completly lost footing on reality and was just rambling madly about French. Well that and calling Edouard III English when the man had barely made the effort of learning English

>> No.75707460

Sorry bro, my dual khopesh wielding full plate using paladin is too busy eating a roast chicken and chickpea curry sandwich to care about your "realism" that is based off our real world and not some place made up

>> No.75707477
File: 824 KB, 1280x2005, 41.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75707272
It's pretty fantastic, I love reading all of the reactions to it whenever I post it.

>> No.75707588

>>75702578
Though most beef breeds originally stem from draft stock.

>> No.75708083

>>75699871
>>75699801
Naw there's no health safety issues. Keeping food at a simmer will ensure no growth of microbes or fungus can occur.

>> No.75708188

>>75693094
https://youtu.be/S3UsL0Tyteo

>> No.75708197

>>75692402

lol aside from contradicting yourself in a single breath, you can't have stale and moldy. Stale bread, in other words *dry* bread won't mold because mold requires moisture you twit.

>> No.75708287
File: 35 KB, 480x360, Barnyard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75697147
>If peasants ate beef regularly, then how did they get any milk?
For fuck's sake. That "Barnyard" movie was not a documentary. Male "Cows" are Bulls and they don't give milk.

>> No.75709174
File: 2.51 MB, 2960x2180, Juniper_berries_lush.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>75694809
>>75694818
Eating juniper berries? I can;t imagine that, they're damn nasty if they're what I think they are.

At least this kind that's around me. So damn piney smelling and sticky I can't imagine eating them.

>> No.75709241

>>75706528
>>75706806
I wonder if Bog Myrtle and alehoof were good for anything but making beer.

They had Sorrel for sour too. (I forget if it;s the clover looking stuff with the exploding seedpods or the other longer pointy leafed stuff that's native to bongistan)

>> No.75709248

Even going back to the 12th century, people absolutely seasoned their foods. Pommes Dorées were meatballs made of mutton, chicken, pork, or some other meat. Seasoned with saffron or egg yolk. This is just an example out of Britain, other regions feature far more stuff because Brits can't cook

>> No.75709770

>>75709241
Bog Myrtle's a traditional Scottish condiment, used in tea or as herbal medicine elsewhere. Good for acne and inflammation, bad for pregnant women. Alehoof goes well in salads, strong minty taste but it's mostly used for tea and ale/beer, also a great source of iron but back then they'd only know it as a herbal remedy.

Sorrel's good in soups and eggs, it's a 'tart' taste so it's more sour-sweet.

>> No.75709804

>>75705847
I RUN a much different game. An over the top ridiculous slapstick fuck fest with indiscriminate killing

I WANT to run that campaign, for people who will appreciate it. I have some people interested but can't commit to time. Like, at all. There is interest.

Some of us want to see some other corners of the game to fully appreciate it. Balance for people to lazy to learn a new game, using what you already know to play a game in a different tone for a new experience. It's efficient. And some people like problem solving. It's just a different kind of hard mode

>> No.75709870

>>75709770
Is it the pointy sorrel or the clovery shaped one? I like eating the clovery shaped stuff. But apparently too much of it gives Kidney Stones. Same for Alehoof/Ground Ivy apparently.

>> No.75709969

>>75709870
Clover-ish sorrel is either wood or French sorrel, I think they're both the same plant, just imported to America by colonials. It's good raw, just chop and add and it's done. The pointy (Broad Leaf) sorrel becomes stronger and more bitter the larger the leaf grows and should be cooked before eating. I don't like it as much since it takes more effort to use in a recipe.

>> No.75710036

>>75709969
Yeah I've heard it called Wood Sorrel. I love that stuff.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action